Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2023 11:15 PM

Jan 2021
Shion was in absolute madness mode. It was cool that they were finally able to defeat one of the Tensen, but on the other hand they had to lose Senta. It showed in Yuzuriha's eyes that she was having a hard time letting go of Senta but realistically she had to give Shion the cure and let Senta go...

Hoho~ there will be another Yamada Asaemon coming there. Can't wait for the second season!

Jul 1, 2023 11:21 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Great fight to end the season with. Shion is an absolute chad, I love his resolve and the fact that he accepted that it was hatred that was driving him. But he's always so calm and cool. But in the end, Senta was the real hero. At least Yuzuriha let him die peacefully in her arms.

Overall, I wasn't sure about this show at first. But it continued to get better and better as things went on. A lot of twists and turns in the story, that kept me engaged. And while this certainly had its fair share of gore, it didn't go over the top or revel in it like other series do, which comes off as obnoxious.

I've seen people not like Gabimaru, but I kind of like the simplicity of "I want to see my wife, she's the only good thing in my life". And now that the show dropped quite the cliffhanger with him suffering from memory loss, I'll be interested to see how his character is tested. And the implication that his wife may not even be real is even more intriguing.

Finally, we see that more Asaemon are coming to the island with new criminals. I'm even more excited for season 2.

I'm giving this an 8/10.
Jul 1, 2023 11:23 PM
Jan 2022
gabimaru just got a reset so season 2 he won't hold back he'll be ruthless
Jul 1, 2023 11:27 PM
May 2023
the fight was amazing . Keep up the good work
Jul 2, 2023 12:27 AM
Aug 2017
And..it finally came to an end. Honestly, the theme of Jigokuraku is so interesting, and i was hooked up from the beginning but I have to say that I finished ep 13 feeling a great sense of ”meh..”. Dont get me wrong, the show isnt bad but honestly my interest kinda dropped in the last 4-5 episodes..not to mention they killed off most characters I was initially interested in + I felt like it was following an established formula of "someone dies, we see their past, gabimaru does something cool while talking about his wife, next" and same thing in rotation besides maybe the last episode. It wasnt a bad anime adaptation but I don't think it was the best Mappa could do.
Jul 2, 2023 12:34 AM

Mar 2008
I hope this gets even better since I really like how there is beauty in some of the deaths and the intricacies of how things work tying in taoist traditions that im actually familiar enough with i actually understand what they probably are talking about before they finish explaining sometimes.

Kind of awkward Senta got himself two deaths in a row. At least he got to go out saving others with the info he shouted out on where the tanden of a flower is.
Jul 2, 2023 1:09 AM

Jul 2016
Reevansingh21 said:

Unbelievable twist iif true that his wife is just fake news.
Jul 2, 2023 1:13 AM
Jul 2011
Didn't feel much like an ending episode, series was just starting to get good. Hopefully S2 is announced is soon. Beginning of the series was kind of mid and the animation quality during some episodes was lower than I expect from Mappa but now I'm interested in what's going to happen now. I will probably end up reading the manga so the adaptation done it's job at least on that front at least.
Gabimaru wife possibly not being real is kind of bummer.  Him being loyal to an already established wife made him stand out more than usual shounen protag.
Jul 2, 2023 2:00 AM

May 2015
Glad they were able to beat one of the Tensen during the finale. The reveal that Shinobi are controlled by illusions is an excellent cliff hanger. Poor Gabimaru...
Jul 2, 2023 2:37 AM
Jan 2017
Damn! That twist with the MC. Kinda, feel out of nowhere but I can work. Can't say it doesn't work as an end cliffhanger.
Jul 2, 2023 3:00 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Great anime. Very close to a 9 but I'm going to give it an 8/10.

I don't think this is the best adaptation from Mappa... A lot of scenes were lacking emotion and intensity compared to the manga. I think I might jump across and read the manga instead, which I've heard is excellent.

Also a bit too much plot convenience and learning Tao (Nen) too easily but ah well it's a shonen.

I'm gonna be bummed out if Gabimaru's wife isn't actually real haha. How sad if that's true.
Jul 2, 2023 3:15 AM
Oct 2020
Masterpiece. Excited to see the 2nd season!
Jul 2, 2023 3:51 AM
Dec 2021
amazing episode and anime.
Jul 2, 2023 4:02 AM

Feb 2014
Thank you for the food πŸ™πŸ»aka those topless Shion scene even if I don't remember such thing in the manga. But hey, I'm not complaining lol.
Jul 2, 2023 4:08 AM

Jan 2008
It was interesting enough but coming from MAPPAs recent previous works, it definitely was not up to par visually, which I know is mostly due to different staff and time. If anything, it was surprisingly average visually. 

Story wise, I do feel the show was lacking something early on which diminished my interest and was not a fan of how they kind of just forced a power system into the show with the Tao stuff. I will say the show definitely got more interesting around that point though, not so much because of the power system but because it felt like the show was finally starting to getting somewhere.

I don't have any particular good or bad expectations for season 2 but I will most likely continue.
Jul 2, 2023 4:12 AM
Oct 2022
sadd episode?...
Jul 2, 2023 4:34 AM
Nov 2022
This was a very unexpected ending for the final episode. But I like the twist and I'm excited to see what the second season will bring. Still, I have to say that Hells Paradise was the weakest anime of the spring season 2023 for me. The beginning was promising and the story about the island and the elixir was interesting. After Tenza died, the anime became a bit sluggish. The fights themselves were well animated, but I couldn't really relate to the characters. The deaths just weren't that impactedful. Still, I'd give the first season 7/10 as it still managed to entertain me.
Jul 2, 2023 5:22 AM
Jun 2021
I liked the anime for the most part. The animation wasn't crazy like jjk or csm but it wasn't bad but i was expecting high production because it is part of the dark trio. The story carried it for me and i feel out of the dark trio Hell's paradise has the best first 12-13 eps in terms of story. I haven't read the manga and s2 has been announced so i guess i will be watching it when it airs. 
Jul 2, 2023 5:26 AM

Jun 2016
fuck this !!

this show is fucking too good !!

close enough to paired with demon slayer !!

9/10

cant wait for season 2 in 2024 !!
Jul 2, 2023 5:32 AM
Jun 2007
Hmm they can actually kill "immortals".
Can't wait for second season!
Jul 2, 2023 6:02 AM

Mar 2020
OMG!!! I love this anime, it's just getting more and more excellent. What a plot twist, I love that they put a little bit of romance in, not a lot, but I really enjoy it. So excited for season 2!!!
Jul 2, 2023 6:18 AM
Jan 2022
Vindicater said:
Reevansingh21 said:

Unbelievable twist iif true that his wife is just fake news.

well i never read the manga so i don't know if his wife is fake but that would one wicked twist if that was so i'm so hyped i could watch s2 right now
Jul 2, 2023 6:23 AM
πŸ₯Š CHAMPION πŸ₯Š

Apr 2016
Well, this episode changed all about Gabimaru or it was an illusion!!! kekeke
Jul 2, 2023 6:24 AM

Jul 2014
Oh god the possibility that his wife could be an illusion, that would be so unfortunate. He lost most of his memories after we've seen a part of his upper Tao has been taken. Nonetheless, it was actually good and its one of my top 3 favorite this season

8/10, definitely watching s2
Jul 2, 2023 6:48 AM

May 2018
This is how battle shounen should be written.
Jul 2, 2023 6:52 AM
Apr 2022
they co-opted and defeated a darksoul boss, which was satisfyiing to watch. Too bad Gabimaru taoed too much, which probably caused his memory loss. Had fun watching, gonna patiently wait for S2 7/10
Jul 2, 2023 7:04 AM
Apr 2023
Some good progress and development for the 1st team.
Though with the overuse of Tan, Gabimaru lost a good deal of his memories.
He really has become hollow as his moniker is.

Can't wait for the next part to come.
Jul 2, 2023 8:05 AM

Aug 2015
It was a decent ending for a bit better than average season 1, I like the idea that Gabimaru's wife could be not real. It gives potential for an insane character development for Gabimaru, imagine if the main thing that holds someone's life together isn't even real, that was kinda what was implied.
Characters didn't feel empty or tedious in this anime which is honestly a rare occurance in the last few years' animes.
Jul 2, 2023 8:40 AM

Dec 2020
They just made everything complicated in the end and dipped 
Jul 2, 2023 9:11 AM

Mar 2023
Poor Gabimaru, I hope he remembers his wife before he goes back home.
Jul 2, 2023 10:18 AM
Jul 2017
10/10
wouldn't rate it anything less
Jul 2, 2023 10:43 AM
Apr 2021
Wow great story and animation! Definitely much better than Chainsaw Man so very excited for a 2nd season :)
Jul 2, 2023 11:19 AM
Jun 2021
Necesito la segunda temporada ya ya ya yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jul 2, 2023 12:19 PM

May 2018
Damn it ended, one of the better anime series.

I had a gut feeling of what Gabimaru background and guess it taken place.

Need season 2

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Jul 2, 2023 12:34 PM

Jul 2016
Decent finale after many underwhelming episodes. Animation during the fighting sequences was solid enough and the way how Shion and the others worked as a team to defeat Mu Dan was indeed very pleasant to see. Though Nurugai being able to stand her ground against a Tensen in their ultimate form is kinda questionable, to say the least.
On the other hand, it seems I'm finally starting to see the appeal in Yuzuriha's character. I mean, she could still die tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eye but I have to admit I liked her during this last couple of episodes. They way how she comforted Senta during his last moments felt genuine and her theory about Gabimaru's wife not being real gave me a certain sense of intrigue.

But now with that said, I do think this was easily one of the most forgettable show I have watched in the year and you can really tell it was definitely a project MAPPA didn't put much effort into. Kind of felt like a side project in that regard considering the uninspiring direction, average animation and overall lack of passion.

As for the plot, it has been incredibly mediocre so far and I'm honestly surprised with how bland the storytelling is for a series based on a manga with so much praise behind. The exposition is handled terribly and there are a lot of moments where the story progression simply "stops" for the sake of having the characters info-dumping the viewer during long and mostly static sequences.
There is also the repeated formula of killing off characters right after giving them some development, as if the author thought such trick would make the audience instantly care about literal nobodies, and not to mention the generic shounen habit of having the antagonists explaining in detail their techniques and power system to their opponents and then acting surprised when the protagonists get the grasp of it in record time. Like seriously, some of the supposed antagonists took the liberty to explain what "Tao" is to Gabimaru and co. and even gave them tips regarding how to increase/master it. All of this happening right in the middle of a battle, of course.
And on a separate note, there is also the fact of Sagiri doing a 180 in her personality between Ep.1-2 and Ep.3 but guess I will merely assume the Sagiri from those first two episodes was just her putting up a front. Not that it makes up for her getting on my nerves during the first combats tho.

5/10 - Disappointing adaptation in almost all fronts. Didn't get attached to any of the characters, story isn't any different from your average dark/slightly edgy shounen adventure and production values ended up being surprisingly poor if we talk about MAPPA standards.
Jul 2, 2023 3:20 PM
Jul 2021
Goodbye Gabimaru.

Next season leave the tranny & "the message" subtexts at home. Thanks in advance.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🀣🀣🀣
Jul 2, 2023 3:37 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
ryzxgum said:
jesus christ, one of the most disappointing adaptations i've ever seen. i trusted in mappa after they dropped csm, but this ain't it.

they dropped the opening of the season though, i've had that on spotify for a while now.

mommy yuzuriha should've licked something else man. would've saved this season. but yeah, manga is so clear, this adaptation made me bored several times. 5/10 for me, maybe a 6 if i feel generous.
hoping the next season is a huge improvement from this one. still can't believe one of the dark trio received this kinda treatment though, just sad.
Yeah agreed. The opening is an absolute banger. First few eps looked stunning as well, then the quality definitely dropped..

Reckon I should switch to the manga or hope that S2 gets a better adaptation?
Jul 2, 2023 4:08 PM
Aug 2020
Damn this is so good finally finished it.
Jul 2, 2023 5:03 PM

Jan 2021
I wonder if this is gonna go the somewhat predictable route and have Sagiri be the catalyst to return Gabimaru's memories. Either way, the return of Gabimaru the Hollow is gonna be a problem for everybody, but I hope everything turns out OK. Even if he gets his memories back though, I can't imagine he'll take the news of his wife possibly being an illusion very well.

Jul 2, 2023 5:40 PM

Jul 2014

• Sagiri: "Is it necessary to lick it?"
  • Yuzuriha: "No" continues to lick anyway. lmao

Man, what a twist they gave us about Gabimaru's wife. True or not, for now we've been left intrigued.

And that's it for now, this has been a very fun show from start to finish. I was already happy with the news of a second season but with the ending they gave us I'm even happier haha. Looking forward to it.
Jul 2, 2023 5:47 PM

Jan 2009
Really liked this season and looking forward to the next one. But for me I really hate amnesia and I hope it doesn't drag on too long.
Jul 2, 2023 5:48 PM

Apr 2022
AOD-san said:
ryzxgum said:
jesus christ, one of the most disappointing adaptations i've ever seen. i trusted in mappa after they dropped csm, but this ain't it.

they dropped the opening of the season though, i've had that on spotify for a while now.

mommy yuzuriha should've licked something else man. would've saved this season. but yeah, manga is so clear, this adaptation made me bored several times. 5/10 for me, maybe a 6 if i feel generous.
hoping the next season is a huge improvement from this one. still can't believe one of the dark trio received this kinda treatment though, just sad.
Yeah agreed. The opening is an absolute banger. First few eps looked stunning as well, then the quality definitely dropped..

banger for sure. i'd just switch to the manga if i were you, i mean just look at the difference. although i am hoping it gets better.
Jul 2, 2023 6:19 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
ryzxgum said:
AOD-san said:

banger for sure. i'd just switch to the manga if i were you, i mean just look at the difference. although i am hoping it gets better.
Damn these panels are FKing sick
I should go read Tenza's death in the manga, that'd surely be epic
Jul 2, 2023 6:28 PM

Apr 2022
AOD-san said:
ryzxgum said:
Damn these panels are FKing sick
I should go read Tenza's death in the manga, that'd surely be epic
you'll definitely enjoy it, the art is godly af!
Jul 2, 2023 6:32 PM

May 2021
There is the AOTS by a clear but not so big marging, I'll miss the op, 5.7/10 is the score of the anime, looking forward to S2
Jul 2, 2023 6:55 PM
Feb 2021
Season 2 waiting room. That's all.
Jul 2, 2023 8:59 PM

Sep 2015
Sagiri is way more interesting than Gabimaru in everyway. I seriously can't get invested in Gabimaru as a character, hes so boring and atypical, Sagiri is way more interesting in terms of building experience and character.

Shes the one I wonder what type of person who will end up being if she ever manages to escape the island. Should be a protagonist instead of a deuteragonist.

The way how they end off things felt underwhelming, but I guess since a second season is confirmed a little over 1 year from now, I guess I can't complain.

First few episodes were okay, and the last episode were alright too, the rest were just a mess in terms of writing and animations.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Jul 2, 2023 9:57 PM

Dec 2016
What a souless and mediocre battle shonen. It takes the most common tropes of older shows like the use of chi and how their protagonists leran how to use it in the heat of the battle, in the most jarring ways with long infodumps.

People love to spite on shows that made a name of their own like Demon Slayer by reducting it's core to just being amazingly well animated. But the truth is that Demon Slayer knew how to become quite enjoyable by being straight forward in it's presentation with breath taking visuals and a rather small cast of endearing characters in it's beginning. This show did the opposite by introducing as many "cannon fodder" characters with nothing but endlessly boring flashbacks (not to mention the heavy reuse of animation cuts) that it's almost impossible to care for them in the long run, with an of exemption like Tenza and his master.

I'm not interested in a second season, so I'll cut my losses here.

alshu said:
This is how battle shounen should be written.

With mind numbing exposition, cardboard souless protagonists, recycled animation and overuse of flashbacks that only disrupt the story flow? Good lord, no!
KimurahJul 2, 2023 10:13 PM
Jul 2, 2023 10:50 PM
Jun 2016
wait what? all of this was an illusion???
Jul 2, 2023 10:54 PM
Oct 2018
Just like in the manga, this fight was badass! Shion the Tensen apart was rather cathartic. This was a good end to this first season (as I believe we are getting another).
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2023

312 by acespanol »»
Jun 24, 6:07 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2023

185 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 20, 2:37 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2023

202 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 13, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2023

198 by xjxlii »»
Jun 12, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2023

243 by Lennygc »»
Jun 10, 9:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.