Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shadows House
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 11, 2021 7:13 AM

Jul 2011
I went up for manga after did watch start for this show, really enjoyed first episode :)
GaichiApr 11, 2021 7:25 AM

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Apr 11, 2021 7:18 AM

Feb 2021
KuroNekoAlchemy said:
TheSpeedAngle said:
so far this series is pretty weird and fun, nothing too crazy but it's okay.

i really hope there is a twist or something, like yeah shadows and dolls slice of life isn't that bad but give us evil like that girl before the ED, speaking of the ED tho i liked it a lot! maybe one of the best this season?

I loved the ed too, but the instrumental op isn't so bad either!

also what do you mean, evil, it's a precious cinammon roll! Look at this adorable face radiating kindness and warmth!

true so far it is wholesome, that girl maybe just had a bad day or couldn't sleep lol but yeah so far it's alright, and yup the op is good but the ed is insane!! I will watch it and hope for the best!
Apr 11, 2021 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
Animation, Voices and Ending were very good. But I was bored. The ending did leave it open that some SHADY Shit is going on. So Im in for at least 3 episodes.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Fall 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 11, 2021 9:41 AM

Mar 2018
Must be easy on animators for this show cuz they don't have to draw facial features for over half of the cast lol

Jokes aside, plot is uber interesting, both two lolis are cute (yes, even the shadow one) and ED is out of this world. Damn, ReoNa should be sued for such amazing theme songs. This might be my AotS. Seriously hope CloverWorks didn't butcher this like Neverland S2.

Apr 11, 2021 10:32 AM

Dec 2009
This is weird as hell. How do people come up with such story ideas? Looking forward to the following episodes though, I wonder how this will turn out as a story!
Apr 11, 2021 10:59 AM

Jun 2016
its so cute but at same time its kinda creepy too ..

not gonna lie this is interesting !!
Apr 11, 2021 11:11 AM

Aug 2018
madelajn3 said:
So at first it was confusing for me the way she spoke about herself in third person and i wasn't sure if both the lady in white and red are one and the same person (Kate), but other than that i loved it! The vibe is immaculate, the music fits so well and the ed and op are one of my favorites from this season, also it's perfectly dark and light at the same time and I'm living for it!
Oh yeah, I was wondering about the use of 3rd person there too, but then I just forgot about it. I thought maybe it was a translation issue, but maybe it was a subtle plot point. Hmm. But I think it's quite possible that Kate and Emiliko are facets of the same person.

Do you think the soot bird at the start was the creation of the girl at the window, who then blew on the bird and disintegrated it? Or are other creatures made of living soot in this world besides the humans in this mansion? There was that little soot creature (at 8:00) that Kate stomped on - like one of those critters from My Neighbor Totoro.

Also, what's the Faraday cage thing that some of the people were building / working on? Maybe something to do with the mystery?

TBH after the first time through the episode, about the only thing that made me want to watch more is my curiosity about the setting, so I hope we get to see more depth to these characters soon.

g-
Please don't feed the trolls.

Apr 11, 2021 11:50 AM

Dec 2016
It was relaxing to watch. Looking how it ended, next episode will have some twists and turns which will make it more interesting. I can't wait to know more about these shadows and dolls.

The MC is a klutz and kinda gave off bland and typical vibes but I hope her future character development will make her more likeable.

Really loved that ED by Reona.
Apr 11, 2021 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
It really is scary black people I hope are good, ending and opening They were very good.
Apr 11, 2021 3:46 PM

Sep 2014
Yuuki_Otakuu said:
It really is scary black people I hope are good

I laughed way too much at this post than I should lmao.
Apr 11, 2021 5:52 PM

Mar 2020
Hrybami said:
Yuuki_Otakuu said:
It really is scary black people I hope are good

I laughed way too much at this post than I should lmao.

ngl a lot of black people in this anime. very progressive.

We even have black girl x white blonde girl relationship!
Apr 11, 2021 5:58 PM

Dec 2018
CloverWorks are you going to deliver once again on the delicious Yuri

This was dark and weird but also sweet. Kate was so gentle and kind with Emilico. Are you my little shadow lesbian honey❤❤

Awwwww my girls were so cute together. Emilico even gave her girlfriend a goodnight kiss,,,,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

This have Yuri vibes IMO. I love it. I hope for some romancing between Human dolls and shadow lesbians,,,YEEEEEEEEEEES

Yuri-CrusaderApr 11, 2021 6:38 PM
Apr 11, 2021 6:59 PM

Mar 2019
This looks Pretty Interesting...

Good Job Cloverworks...

Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Apr 11, 2021 7:19 PM

Jul 2016
So far, I like the show's eerie atmosphere but the way in how Emilico acts is kinda too annoying. Wasn't expecting her to be this cheerful, honestly.
Anyways, it seems she had good luck with the kind master she ended up serving. Doubt the other Living Dolls had the same luck.
Apr 11, 2021 7:19 PM

Mar 2020
Yuri-Crusader said:

This was dark and weird but also sweet. Kate was so gentle and kind with Emilico. Are you my little shadow lesbian honey❤❤

Awwwww my girls were so cute together. Emilico even gave her girlfriend a goodnight kiss,,,,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

This have Yuri vibes IMO. I love it. I hope for some romancing between Human dolls and shadow lesbians,,,YEEEEEEEEEEES

you're in for a treat!
Apr 11, 2021 8:03 PM

May 2020
Intriguing premise with a unique concept and setting and bizarre atmosphere, while this episode was very cute and wholesome for the most part, I can't help but feel that under all that fluff lies a creepy and eerie undertone, I don't know why I'm getting those vibes with this show, but I think it's going to be much darker than what was shown this episode, I'm interested for more. This might become the dark horse of this season.
GilgameshuuApr 11, 2021 8:08 PM
Apr 11, 2021 10:49 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I loved this first episode, the ambiance is really great, and I like the concept with the Shadow's faces reflected on their dolls, it's also really cute and I didn't expect this anime to be like that.
Apr 11, 2021 11:38 PM

Mar 2019
Got some weird Addams Family (the 1964's TV series, the only one I watched) vibes from this anime.

Am I the only one?
Apr 12, 2021 4:58 AM

Dec 2018
KuroNekoAlchemy said:
Yuri-Crusader said:

you're in for a treat!

Love that picture. IMO Both the opening and end have strong Yuri vibes and the shadow lesbians was all over their human girl dolls,,,,YEEEEEEEEES

I also love the cute goodnight kiss and the interactions between Kate and Emilico! Awwwww I think they are in love ❤❤

CloverWorks have been so good this year. I love all the sweet Yuri they have been dishing up! I cant get enough of it

And I'm very curious about this couple. Because I think the Yuri vibes was strongest between them. Hopefully they will be introduced in the next episode. Even if I sense something more sinister are brewing here! I am very interested to see how this thing will play out

Yuri-CrusaderApr 14, 2021 5:49 AM
Apr 12, 2021 6:13 AM

Nov 2019
RiceBoon said:
can anyone explain to me what's the appeal of this show?
because so far im not sold for the story, i'll give it one more episode if its going dark or not.
liked the ED visual and song tho.

All I can say is it's gonna be a slow burn, mysteries will be uncovered at a slow pace

Character developments and friendship build up will be sublime
Haunt88Apr 12, 2021 6:16 AM
Apr 12, 2021 6:50 AM

Apr 2012
KANLen09 said:
An intriguing start, almost gave me The Promised Neverland feels (though it's not), not just because it's CloverWorks.

Shadows and Living Dolls, a fascinating master-servant relationship between the dark shadow Kate and clumsy-cum-wonky Emilyko.

From doing housework to making sure that Kate is satisfied with Emilyko's work, Kate is one fine master who doesn't get angry at Emilyko even for the seemingly trivial of works. And before you ask, this is NOT Yuri.

A pretty good adaptation of the manga, but I'm worried for pacing issues since the manga chapters are literally short romps.

You're late, TV Tropes have already "found" gay characters among some of the characters, lol.

@Animillion I wouldn't say romance is anything important in this show at all, but overall it's not a queer title. As far as I know, the original manga teased at least two straight ships/couples among the main cast.
RobertBobertApr 12, 2021 7:51 AM
Apr 12, 2021 7:42 AM

Aug 2019
There is a thin line between being cute and being unbearable. Emilyco's squealing kinda ruins it for me.

Besides that, it was an entertaining and visually pleasing episode, hopefully it will develop into something interesting.
Apr 12, 2021 9:10 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
KANLen09 said:
An intriguing start, almost gave me The Promised Neverland feels (though it's not), not just because it's CloverWorks.

Shadows and Living Dolls, a fascinating master-servant relationship between the dark shadow Kate and clumsy-cum-wonky Emilyko.

From doing housework to making sure that Kate is satisfied with Emilyko's work, Kate is one fine master who doesn't get angry at Emilyko even for the seemingly trivial of works. And before you ask, this is NOT Yuri.

A pretty good adaptation of the manga, but I'm worried for pacing issues since the manga chapters are literally short romps.

You're late, TV Tropes have already "found" gay characters among some of the characters, lol.

@Animillion I wouldn't say romance is anything important in this show at all, but overall it's not a queer title. As far as I know, the original manga teased at least two straight ships/couples among the main cast.

Yeah, I think they are more straight than gay, or at least the

tho there are at least two pairings that give strong lesbian vibes
Apr 12, 2021 9:26 AM

Jan 2011
Loved every moment of it. Reading the manga while the ED is looping now.
Apr 13, 2021 1:03 AM

Sep 2020
Lot of people loved the OP but I didn't like it
Seems pretty uncatchy and doesn't have nice tunes
It'll probably not grow up on me
Apr 13, 2021 1:18 AM

Nov 2014
So far this gives me SOL vibes but the unique concept of this setting and characters had me thinking maybe this is more mystery/horror than SOL? (I truly hope so) Can't wait to see Shadow Patrick's debut and find out why he has nearly 1000 favorites while everyone else only has like a dozen or less.
Apr 13, 2021 2:25 AM

Dec 2008
I'm so excited because of ending and last few seconds of 1st episode. Sounds like it gonna be an interesting show to watch at least.
Apr 13, 2021 9:58 AM
Apr 2020
First episode was very beautiful, with an interesting story and a wonderful mystery.
The atmosphere was a perfect mix between strangeness and kindness .. The two girls were presented well focusing on building their relationship smoothly
The direction and production were great, as well as the backgrounds, character design, and sounds track
The OP and the ed are very good. Reona did a good job .. Especially the ending !! It looks like an OP.. and the openning like an Ed .. an intentional switch to match the theme of the work.
I liked how the director changed the order of events and became more smooth
A promising start 8/10
Apr 13, 2021 11:48 AM

Jan 2021
I was expecting this to be really scary but it's not really at least not yet

The story is really fascinating and I have so many questions. Like why are they shadows? What is that drink that the dolls and Kate drank?
Apr 13, 2021 2:36 PM

Jun 2016
The ending got recommended to me on yt and made me curious so i went and watched the episode.. this has very good visuals and the plot is interesting, i'm trying really bad to not go and read the manga but i'll eventually will when the season ends.

Somehow made me remember of rpg maker games like Pocket Mirror or Witch's House and i love it.
Apr 14, 2021 5:08 AM

Nov 2019
ttcchen said:
So far this gives me SOL vibes but the unique concept of this setting and characters had me thinking maybe this is more mystery/horror than SOL? (I truly hope so) Can't wait to see Shadow Patrick's debut and find out why he has nearly 1000 favorites while everyone else only has like a dozen or less.

Bots bro, bots, MAL needs to do something about that tbh, that shit is annoying
Apr 14, 2021 8:09 AM

Sep 2016
Nice Atmosphere

Disgusting seeing how some people try to attack yuri fans just because they expressed their opinion in liking to see some possible f/f characters romance...Like let people have their ships even if they are not "canon" or are just implied
Apr 14, 2021 1:51 PM

Mar 2019
Ok I didn't like the ending in the PV but hearing the clean version, both the song and visuals are spectacular.
Apr 14, 2021 3:54 PM

Dec 2020
I was really eager for this, but it seems, just like with Neverland, Cloverworks are dead set on removing all internal monologues. They skipped Kate's internal thoughts of chapter 12 when she wakes up.
Apr 14, 2021 4:42 PM

Jul 2016
Lux_Vacui said:
I was really eager for this, but it seems, just like with Neverland, Cloverworks are dead set on removing all internal monologues. They skipped Kate's internal thoughts of chapter 12 when she wakes up.
thankfully it is not a monologue heavy and not much text. So its a minor issue.

Apr 14, 2021 7:33 PM
May 2020
Very good first episode. The concept of the story is very intriguing, kind of reminds me of the Promised neverland(cute kids, creepy situation). I am not familiar with the manga, so I am excited to see what will happen in next episode.
Apr 14, 2021 8:10 PM

Nov 2014
Noisrev said:
ttcchen said:

Bots bro, bots, MAL needs to do something about that tbh, that shit is annoying
aw man. that's disappointing. i thought his character is written very well or something. damn it's been like a month why hasn't MAL solved this issue yet?
Apr 15, 2021 6:43 AM

Dec 2020
to anime-only's if you're not that interested in the show atm please stay for a couple more episodes. it'll get so much more interesting later.

great first ep !! i personally think they started the world/introduced the series way better than the manga did so im quite surprised but in a good way of course. the op and ed slaps haaard suits the show rly well

NotReallyAnder said:
There is a thin line between being cute and being unbearable. Emilyco's squealing kinda ruins it for me.

Besides that, it was an entertaining and visually pleasing episode, hopefully it will develop into something interesting.
LMAO definitely agree, emily's "cuteness" isn't rly something im usually fond of but im a manga reader so she doesn't rly bother me rn, dont think that part of her character will get better but the story definitely does

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeApr 20, 2021 2:16 PM
Apr 15, 2021 12:48 PM

Apr 2015
Nice art cool concept and some mediocre scripts I think, all the dialogue was a bit flat and just...happened when everything could have been directed more dramatically.
Apr 15, 2021 5:14 PM

Jun 2015
This was so cute with a dash of gothic airs. Perfect.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 15, 2021 10:51 PM
Apr 2021
I kinda don't know how to feel about this show, I was hoping for some kind of Tim Burton/Neil Gaiman style "cute and fun at first glance, but is actually really creepy and scary" series. Not to say that I dislike it, cause i do enjoy it, but idk it feels like a waste to have a good concept like this just be cute anime girls being cute
Apr 15, 2021 11:55 PM

Feb 2018
chrislee1133 said:
I kinda don't know how to feel about this show, I was hoping for some kind of Tim Burton/Neil Gaiman style "cute and fun at first glance, but is actually really creepy and scary" series. Not to say that I dislike it, cause i do enjoy it, but idk it feels like a waste to have a good concept like this just be cute anime girls being cute

You can't be more wrong😂
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Apr 16, 2021 12:38 AM

Jan 2015
I’m very impressed. I went in blind and It was such a bizzarre and unique experience. A premise I’ve never seen before

This might be really interesting
Apr 17, 2021 1:35 PM

Feb 2020
Nice start. Emilico is so adorable. ^^

SerafosJul 26, 12:09 AM
Apr 18, 2021 1:24 AM
Mar 2012
Nice Reona ED.
Unique premise of several mirror characters in a bizarre mansion surrounded by this train.
Doll in a basement casket, a shadow master, everything mysterious but Emilico's adorbs.
Apr 18, 2021 12:32 PM

Mar 2014
Tim Burton: The Anime. Goth aesthethics mixed with cutesy.
Immersive and fitting OST. Perfect ending. Animation seems more levels of a movie/OVA than a standard seasonal, hope they keep up the quality for the entirely of the show.
Very solid, alongside 86, is a potential AOTS.

chrislee1133 said:

This starts as a slice of life with goth aesthetics, but progress into more of a mystery/horror later on.

And by horror, I do NOT mean the gore-type one. Is more subtle and classy than that.
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Apr 20, 2021 2:18 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This thread has been cleaned.
Apr 23, 2021 12:03 PM

Dec 2019
i don't know why, maybe just the opening, spooky atmosphere, & victorian esque stuff.. but this reminds me so much of old vocaloid evil series/7 deadly sins songs & videos.
Apr 24, 2021 4:21 AM
Apr 2020
It was a bit boring because storywise nothing really happened, but next ep looks promising
Apr 25, 2021 12:26 PM
Jul 2019
So, them girls job was to clean up their master's soots......jaz what kind of guy was this original creator to feature girls who serve under ghostly figures that were covered with soot......IMAO, them girls surely need a vacuum cleaner and these soot covered ghostly figures basically serves as an insult to black lives matter.

This is a dropped for me.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

150 by AngelSpearMint »»
Oct 10, 8:15 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2021

86 by AngelSpearMint »»
Oct 10, 7:45 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

126 by AngelSpearMint »»
Oct 10, 7:20 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2021

129 by AngelSpearMint »»
Oct 10, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

74 by AngelSpearMint »»
Oct 10, 9:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.