Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2022 1:06 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Thats a lot of things to be mindful off. But man Yuu really is pretty unlucky. Though she is cute Shikimori's also damm perceptive as well. Pretty cute opening theme. First days of term are always so stressful but even more so for Yuu it seems. Their first day back sure was nothing if not amusing for the class to see. Still the two sides of Shikimori sure complement themselves pretty well. The visit to the bowling alley was pretty fun. Figures that the slowest throw would get the knockout. But it was Shikimori's performance that proved to be the most surprising. That was most impressive. Still while sweet it feels like Shikimori's both a girlfriend and Yuu's bodyguard. Cute ending theme as well. Overall a pretty entertaining opening ep that introduced a pretty unique relationship between Yuu and Shikimori. Though i do hope that Yuu would get more development as a character because he has less of a presence that his other half in his current self.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2022 1:07 PM

May 2021
I think it was meh, gonna give it one more episode or two probs but thats it

tho i do admit i did like this scene

Apr 9, 2022 1:08 PM
May 2021
I mean those guys were indeed not very wrong... Have yet to see many qualities from Yuu that would make this relationship make any sense. But let's wait and see I guess.
Apr 9, 2022 1:13 PM

Sep 2018
I think the manga somehow makes the character interactions feel more natural, which is odd since anime has more frame as compared to panels to do so.

Also, concerned they will just fly through content to fit everything into one season because OP showed panels that are from chapters in the 130s...
Blanks.
Apr 9, 2022 1:14 PM

Nov 2017
This was cute!~ Adorable even!
Apr 9, 2022 1:14 PM

Oct 2012
as an anime only watcher does it explain why he has such bad luck? Jesus.

do they kiss in the manga and is it worth reading does it have actual plot or is it just slice of life light romance and nothing happens physical wise
Apr 9, 2022 1:33 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty fun and wholesome. Cute too.

The show will probably be carried by Shikimori, love her already. I just hope it can stay compelling throughout its run.

That’s some crazy level of bad luck for the MC though.
Apr 9, 2022 1:34 PM
Mar 2021
Not my favorite thing ever. I found it very cringe and something i’ve seen before. I hope to like it more as the weeks pass.
Apr 9, 2022 1:35 PM

May 2021
Great episode! It was great to see Shikimori animated and of course, she got that perfect score in bowling! Love her expressions xD.

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Apr 9, 2022 1:44 PM
May 2021
Well this episode was good.
But lower points than my expectation[I think my expectations were high lol]
Shikimori clearly new Waifu coming out with so much popularity already. And other side Izumi, who isn't that popular like her but he is Boyfriend of her. ah yeaah.

Apr 9, 2022 1:47 PM
Sep 2021
This is just personal opinion, but the mc being cringy asf doesn't help. It still has potential tho, if it doesn't change, then its a mid anime.
I didn't find the comedy funny at all due to the cringe. It doesn't fit it tho. I understand the mc is a very unlucky guy, but it's a bit out of the extreme. Shikimori seems to be a well written character, but other than that, need to watch more for a full opinion.
Apr 9, 2022 1:52 PM
May 2021
Nice episode, nice OP.
Tbh, I kinda envy Izumi for having such a cool and cute girlfriend in Shikimori. Normally, it's always the guy that does the cool stuff in the relationship but now we have this. Shikimori's easily top 3 girls of spring 2022.
ASOIAF is the best piece of fiction

Apr 9, 2022 2:18 PM
Jul 2019
It doesnt need much plot its just so wholesome
Apr 9, 2022 2:21 PM
Jan 2022
Pretty good and relaxing premiere episode, a romance relationships between girly boy and boyish girl. Shikimori is such an overprotective female and Izumi is such a bad luck and cutie boy.
Apr 9, 2022 2:28 PM

Jul 2017
This season we are blessed with the good openings, i see.

Well it started very good, looking forward to it!
Apr 9, 2022 2:42 PM

Oct 2020
Muy buen comienzo. Justo como lo esperaba me emocionan los personajes y estoy esperando ahora a que salga la 🕑 protagonista.

Tesuer 🍀
Apr 9, 2022 2:45 PM

Jan 2022
Loved this first episode, super cute already. The opening song was great and all the characters are so likeable I can't choose a favourite lmao

The ending song is super cute too, and the video that goes with it showing Shikimori protecting Izumi from all those things lmao definitely fits the anime

Really I'm just kinda shocked that Izumi's taller than Shikimori, the cover and the whole dynamic between them would make you think she'd be taller
Apr 9, 2022 2:49 PM

May 2021
Esmera said:
Ibut man, what's with all these shows where the girl is perfect in every way and the guy is plain as hell? Can't we have a power couple for once?

Spy x Family got you on that one
Apr 9, 2022 2:53 PM
Mar 2021
Why this got so much hype I'll never know. Painfully average first episode.
Apr 9, 2022 2:57 PM
Dec 2021
In my opinion, I would say that this episode is a great start for introducing the characters, and the whole vibes in it. and of course, it's kawaii🥰
Apr 9, 2022 3:02 PM

Nov 2018
Good first episode.

Shuu is straight up Bakugou, even got the same VA as him.

Most of the time we have the men protecting the women, this show straight up changes that formula. Still, the protagonist has his insecurities and is aiming to become a better boyfriend, unfortunately he is very unlucky.

Checked out the manga and the art seems real nice, visuals aren't bad on the anime but I feel like the art on the manga is superior.

Don't know what to expect from future episodes, will keep watching for the time being.

SEIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Apr 9, 2022 3:02 PM

May 2020
As a longtime fan of the manga, I'm glad to say that this first episode did even better than my expectations! This is definitely a quiet (and cute) SOL series, and so far the first episode has shown this perfectly. Massive props to the studio in charge for piecing together a coherent story out of the first chapters, since they were originally more like vignettes with no real order or flow to them besides basic things like "start of school year" etc, and almost entirely based on the gag of Shikimori being overly cool.

Also, the OP and ED were fabulous. I'm sort of intrigued about the design of the eyes. While they're really similar to the manga, they also feel like they have a blur adjustment layer placed on them, which is new (seems like the current trend in anime is beautiful/detailed eyes = sharp + well defined lines and colors). Obviously a lot of y'all have questions, but based on what the OP shows, we'll be covering a lot of good arcs, and we'll be given plenty of the backstory present in the manga. Overall, glad to see how things are turning out. I don't think this series is ever gonna break out into a massive hit, rather it'll probably just be a quiet, cute and wholesome SOL, but personally, that's all it really needs to be.
ZBubbleApr 9, 2022 3:11 PM
Apr 9, 2022 3:05 PM

Aug 2008
Well first episode has got me interested, have to wonder where the anime goes. Given her reaction at the end after knocking that sign away, got to wonder if Shikimori may have some superpower beyond "coolness"? Probably overthinking it.

Her character design is certainly prime waifu material certainly hope the show will live up to her potential as well.

Apr 9, 2022 3:10 PM

Oct 2021
Aight, this is quite boring & cheesy for my taste.

Inu x Neko has a better chemistry ngl. If those two actually has romance for each other then I would probably keep reading just for the sake of them.
Apr 9, 2022 3:10 PM
Sep 2015
Ah yes.

Haven't You Heard? I'm Shikimori

Very good. Fun first episode can't wait for the rest to be animated and hopefully Kobo recovers well.
Apr 9, 2022 3:13 PM
Feb 2022
このアニメは私が今まで見た中で最高です
Apr 2022
The whole budget in a single character.
Jan 2022
Well that was wholesome. Heard from a lot of manga readers that the MC will have some character development so looking forward to that!
the OP looks sick af and it looks like we're gonna be seeing some backstory later on
Apr 9, 2022 3:15 PM

May 2020
EdgyLord666 said:

Inu x Neko has a better chemistry ngl. If those two actually has romance for each other then I would probably keep reading just for the sake of them.

My brother in Christ, you're reading the manga (according to your profile)

I agree that the first bit of the series is very basic, but give it a bit. I'm curious to see what the studio chooses to adapt considering the early chapters are very vignette gag-based, whereas their relationship actually gets developed a little further in.
Apr 9, 2022 3:15 PM
Mar 2021
I have to say one thing: we need to make that ED into some sort of game 🙂

Anime sounds great from the first episode so this will be fun watch
Apr 9, 2022 3:21 PM

Nov 2010
This show feels like a whole lot of nothing.
Apr 9, 2022 3:26 PM

Apr 2015
MuZe- said:
Esmera said:
Ibut man, what's with all these shows where the girl is perfect in every way and the guy is plain as hell? Can't we have a power couple for once?

Spy x Family got you on that one

Yeah I know, I read the manga. Can't wait to watch the first episode some time later today. Wish more shows could be like that. Power couple goals lol.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 9, 2022 3:35 PM

Oct 2018
Another good waifu, but a generic boy?

The main character was cringe, I hope it'll get better.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 9, 2022 3:37 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
It’s finally time for the fabled Shikimori I’ve heard so much about, and wow was I not disappointed, I really loved this.

Starting off with the first cool expression, I can already tell why everyone loves her lol, and not just that, but contrasting with her cute moments as well is awesome (it’s all cute to me tho lol). I really like the relationship she has with Izumi, the fact they’re already a couple is pretty refreshing, and I love the dynamic of Izumi being really unlucky and Shikimori being his guardian angel, makes for some hilarious moments, as well as moments that will make your heart throb lol. I also like the group of friends, a very nice cast here, as great as the main duo is i’m excited to see more of them as well.

Safe to say I’m gonna love this to death, I saved it for last and it turned out to work perfectly, and both the OP and ED are very good, both the songs and visuals, loved the references in the OP, and the ED’s art style is very crisp. And man it’s sad to hear this might end up being delayed for a good bit due to Doga Kobo dealing with COVID, if it does I’ll patiently wait for it to come back, the folks at the studio come first, and it could also result in a higher quality show.
Apr 9, 2022 3:41 PM
Oct 2013
Average first episode, will continue watching and i hope it gets better
Apr 9, 2022 3:46 PM
Jul 2021
It was not bad. I haven't read the manga, but for some reason I think this main character saved his girlfriend's life when she was little and the main character doesn't remember it for some reason... My impressions, The illustrations are good. The subject is like a cliché, if it opens up in the future and my predictions do not hold, if something else comes out, then it would be very nice. Still, a non-Harem high school anime is always watchable.
Apr 9, 2022 3:47 PM

Aug 2021
Really liked this first episode. I don't really find the main character annoying like many people and he feels quite normal to me. The art is great, the op was really catchy, and its defintely a waifu-bait anime like MDUD last season.

I wonder if they are going to show a backstory of how they met, because I am curious how the MC got Shikimori.
Apr 9, 2022 4:01 PM
Jun 2021
Goated_Weeb526 said:
What was Izumi trying to say in the end, when Shikimori stopped him??🤔🙄
I think he was going to say "it's bcoz of my misfortune" or something like that...

I couldn't understand either. I think it's kind of a pop reference.
Apr 9, 2022 4:04 PM

Oct 2021
ZBubble said:
EdgyLord666 said:

My brother in Christ, you're reading the manga (according to your profile)

I agree that the first bit of the series is very basic, but give it a bit. I'm curious to see what the studio chooses to adapt considering the early chapters are very vignette gag-based, whereas their relationship actually gets developed a little further in.

Only the first 5 chs my brother.

And yes that "gag-based" type is the reason why I stop, because maybe the anime will be different, to my surprise it just increases the cheesiness aspect. However I like the 2 side chars. If you could just spoiler message me about their relationship then I'll be happy.
Apr 9, 2022 4:09 PM

Nov 2019
If they reversed roles, I wouldn't like this either. I guess there are more shows of that type.

Also mom is a looker...
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Apr 9, 2022 4:10 PM

Jan 2020

what the fuck, HOW??
Apr 9, 2022 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
I read other comment, there's no char development for the boy. It's a shame, but this is SoL. I don't like bland protagonist
Apr 9, 2022 4:19 PM

May 2015
i was about to write a review about how i missed the shoujo manga romance being animated and how now everything we see that is romance is mostly for male audiences, but forget it. this anime is the opportunity to let the boys feel what we feel when we see shoujo ahahahah loving it so far

literally just switch the roles and we would have the typical shoujo romance anime
i'm here for it
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Apr 9, 2022 4:26 PM

May 2020
Yeah, this is the cutest shit I have ever seen. As expected. Great first episode and the OP is great too! I was waiting so long for this to come out and they delivered, Shikimori is so cute and cool!
the mom badder in the manga tho
Apr 9, 2022 4:34 PM
Mar 2022
dudes who watch this probably want to get pegged by a girl
Apr 9, 2022 4:38 PM

Nov 2019
Both leads are bland. One too perfect, and one too empty.

Best couple, ngl
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Apr 9, 2022 4:44 PM

Aug 2020
The show is pretty cute for a romcom SoL. The art looks great for me. Shikimori and Yuu's chemistry looks cool. He's lucky that he's unlucky jk, maybe he is truly lucky. I still have my hopes up in the story. Shikimori's facial reactions 10/10

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Apr 9, 2022 4:47 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, that was pretty good! I didn't watch any of the promotional materials so I'd no clue that the animation was going to be this good, the colour usage in particular was outstanding.

Shikimori-san is seriously Waifu material. Not just cute, but also cool - how do you even trump that? Scary part aside, lol.

Main character sure has some rough luck. Something from the Op caught my eye though, looks like he's been through a lot?

Hopefully, the covid outbreak in the studio wasn't serious btw, it'd be a pity to have this delayed.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 9, 2022 4:49 PM

May 2020
Hands down, spring waifu has landed xD

Really good episode, too colorful OP and generally whole episode.
“Reality rejected… synapses shattered… be vanished from this world!” ~ Rikka Takanashi
Apr 9, 2022 4:50 PM

May 2020
allex_md said:

what the fuck, HOW??

Come after some episodes.. They will answer to you ^^
“Reality rejected… synapses shattered… be vanished from this world!” ~ Rikka Takanashi
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

224 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 27, 3:36 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

109 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 27, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

117 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 26, 5:09 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

99 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 25, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2022

174 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 24, 5:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.