Forum Settings
Forums

List Title Toggle: Main Title, English, and more

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 12, 2021 7:54 AM
May 2020
it’s nice to get an update, but my list being organized alphabetically in english feels kinda weird so i’ll probably stick to the default
Nov 12, 2021 11:17 AM
May 2018
Nice! :D
"I'll take a potato chip... and eat it!" - Light Yagami, God of the New World
Nov 12, 2021 12:10 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
WOW MAL WOULD BE BASED WITH FRENCH AND INTERNATIONAL SYNOPSISES

Nov 12, 2021 12:29 PM

Jun 2011
Kineta said:
Since the Japanese field is used as an "Original Title" field right now, some series have Korean and Chinese in this field currently. We need separate development for a country of origin modification before we can do this.

So then just make "original title" as an option for your list? Maybe some people are multilingual and know Japanese and Korean and want their list to have both languages.
Nov 12, 2021 5:49 PM
Dec 2017
woah another new update!!

Now can we have dark mode?

Nov 12, 2021 9:26 PM

Nov 2018
Do you think it's possible to customize this or implement a feature that allows you to exclude/select which titles you don't want to be translated? I'd much prefer if Detective Conan remained the same if I had English names set, not Cased Closed.
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Nov 12, 2021 10:04 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
Great change!

It's definitely something that people have asked for and it's nice to see it finally be real

Nov 12, 2021 11:05 PM

Oct 2021
Kineta said:
Will this change how the Korean/Chinese titles are handled?
No, that's separate development.
Good to see that there's a development on Korea-originated media. It seems weird seeing an English title on a Korean release.
Nov 12, 2021 11:27 PM

Jul 2014
I've wanted this feature for a long time and I'm happy to see it implemented!

I hope over the coming days/weeks/months/however long the English titles get a second pass of edits to clear up some confusion and inconsistencies. Just looking through my own list, I can see several duplicate titles (Digimon: The Movie, Hunter x Hunter, Little Witch Academia, etc.) that used to have clarifying indicators in parentheses that the English titles don't. It would be helpful to add these back in.

There are also minor things like some Pokémon titles having the accent when others don't, "Cardcaptor" and "Card Captor" for Cardcaptor Sakura entries, the third season of Digimon Xros Wars being Digimon Fusion when it never actually got localized, and probably other things affecting titles not on my personal list. Hopefully now that these English titles are more visible, these inconsistencies will be fixed.

Overall, though, super glad to have this update. It's way easier to tell what's on my Plan to Watch list now.
Nov 13, 2021 2:06 AM

Dec 2013
Better late than never. I was sure this has already been a thing.
Nov 13, 2021 3:37 AM

Jul 2011
@Kineta Some doubts:

-If a manga main title is the same in Japanese than in English/Spanish/German/French should it be included? For example, Naruto is in Main Title and also in English. Should Naruto be added as Spanish/German/French too?

-If the title in Spanish/German/French is in English but different than the Japanese it should also be added to Spanish/German/French? Example, A Silent Voice.

-If it has more than one licensed title in the same language should all of them be added? Examples in Spanish, 3x3 Eyes as 3x3 Ojos reissued as 3x3 Eyes. Black Jack ni Yoroshiku as Say Hello to Black Jack, Recuerdos al Dr. Black Jack and again as Give my regards to Black Jack. Ijiranaide, Nagatoro as No me rayes, Nagatoro in Spain but as No me jodas, Nagatoro in Argentina.
Nov 13, 2021 11:29 AM

May 2015
Does that mean that the last couple anime that still use English as their main title will be changed? I remember reading a pretty old comment from one of the MAL admins saying that they promised someone Fullmetal Alchemist won't be changed to Hagane no Renkinjutsushi until a title toggle feature is created. Most of the Evangelion, Gundam and Conan stuff is in the same situation.
Nov 13, 2021 3:37 PM

Oct 2014
That's pretty cool. I prefer the Japanese titles myself, but I'm happy for the people who would rather see license titles in their list.
Nov 13, 2021 4:11 PM

Apr 2018
This is really cool! I didn't even notice this at first until I looked more closely at my list while logged out. Glad to have the option to display it differently!
Nov 13, 2021 10:44 PM

Sep 2014
And somehow we're still stuck this awful, disgusting alternative title for Hagane no Renkinjutsushi.
Nov 14, 2021 1:33 AM

Oct 2010
wow, this is so useful as eating ice cream in the winter
Nov 14, 2021 3:09 AM
Apr 2008
Great new feature. It always took me time to search for the original titles of manga at my list, when I want to update their chapters count.
The only negative point is, that it ripped some franchises apart, like My Hero Academia, where some anime have the english and some the original title.
Nov 14, 2021 3:11 AM

Jun 2021
This is very helpful thank you. I find it hard to remember the titles in Japanese. Although I'd prefer to call Precure and Detective Conan by their original titles not Glitter force and Cased Closed. But still, this is amazing.
melbell123Nov 14, 2021 4:10 AM
It took me forever to find an avatar that is the maximum of 100 x 125 pixels haha
Nov 14, 2021 1:46 PM

Jun 2015
seriously with all the unnecessary fixes to what is already perfect, can you at least add a block feature!
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Nov 14, 2021 7:40 PM

Jul 2020
I think you should try to recruit some people or just make a volunteer thread for helping with the tech team at the least. Because there are a lot of talented useres who I know will be willing to help. And with their help I don't think many of the strongly requested features will be much hard at all to bring. For example: dark mode, better UI, decimal scoring (though the only one I can see happening is dark mode). What I am trying to say is please consider talking help of the userbase, that's all.

AniList x Spotify x Instagram
“Whether we die or not, isn't really that big a deal." — Suzuya Juuzou
Nov 15, 2021 12:23 AM
Jan 2009
oh my fucking god it's about time
it's been almost what, 7 years?

no longer do i have to look at my list and not know what the fuck half the titles are
Nov 15, 2021 5:14 AM

Aug 2020
Really adding everything other then dark mode and more manwhwa

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Nov 15, 2021 8:05 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
Finally! I've been waiting for this forever! :)

Seems it doesn't change the titles on the favorites list, but I'm not one for looking gift horses in their mouths. Good job, everyone responsible! :D

...Although it seems WataMote's English title here is still incorrect. It should be "not Popular", not "Unpopular"
My greatest contribution to this website:
Nov 15, 2021 10:05 AM

Jan 2020
Nice change, I heard a lot of people were asking for it so it's nice that yall are listening :)

I'll still have to decide which one to use though since I sometimes use English and sometimes romanized Japanese, like I always say "My Neighbor Totoro" but I never say "Kino's Journey", lol.

These optional changes are a pretty good idea, since you don't harm anyone who doesn't want it implemented, you just give the choice for whoever wants it.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Nov 15, 2021 3:14 PM

Jan 2020
I'm glad that this is finally a feature.
Nov 15, 2021 6:14 PM
Jun 2013
I love this. No more will I get lost looking at my own list wondering what I watched/am watching.
Anime exists
all is well
Nov 15, 2021 8:56 PM
Jan 2009
When can we change how the whole site displays? because i just scrolled by "ouran koukou host club" and i'm going to lose it. which (colorful yet sincerely derogatory term) is in charge of the database? it's absolutely mental that the site is handled in this way.
Nov 16, 2021 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
such a cool feature
Nov 17, 2021 3:50 AM

Apr 2017
I was thinking to add feature to my list, where if you hover over title, english title will pop up underneath. But can't find element that would get me the english names. Anyone intrested in trying to figure it out?
Nov 17, 2021 7:06 AM

Dec 2007
it would be also nice if you could decide which title you can show in the list, not only the language of it. it would make the list must more arranged with several series title without the same name.
Nov 17, 2021 12:24 PM

Feb 2016
CaptainPiika said:
the third season of Digimon Xros Wars being Digimon Fusion when it never actually got localized

That season is on crunchyroll with English subs and a different English title that isn’t “Digimon Fusion.”
その目だれの目?
Nov 17, 2021 9:58 PM
Trash

Jul 2015
Possibility to be added to your favorites and when you visit the series page it also will be seen in English? Like how AniList has that all set up.
Nov 18, 2021 5:04 AM

Apr 2020
Awesome. But I notice a star besides the rating when I look at a series in mobile. What's that?
Nov 18, 2021 6:26 AM
Aug 2020
What should we do about titles with a different Spanish title in Spain and Latin America of France and Quebec?
Nov 18, 2021 7:25 AM

Jul 2014
Lucifrost said:
CaptainPiika said:
the third season of Digimon Xros Wars being Digimon Fusion when it never actually got localized

That season is on crunchyroll with English subs and a different English title that isn’t “Digimon Fusion.”

Yeah, I know, maybe my wording was unclear. I'm aware it got official subs (that's where I watched it lmao), but it never got dubbed with the Digimon Fusion name change, that's what I meant when I said localized as Digimon Fusion. So the "English title" on MAL is incorrect.
Nov 18, 2021 9:39 AM

Feb 2016
@CaptainPiika
Ok, I got it. I thought you were saying “Digimon Fusion” is the wrong name because it should have no English name at all.
その目だれの目?
Nov 18, 2021 10:24 AM

Mar 2008
This is a nice change. It was asked for a few years back the day how titles were handled changed which many didnt like.

@Kineta
Why is Japanese kanji not an option? MAL does have some Japanese users and isn't the data already there?

Will this change also be later implemented in the search and title pages as well? For users who set it to anything than romaji they will have an incongruence between how the title is displayed. Interestingly I noticed doing a search with the English title does display the Japanese one correctly so the search system already knows how to understand other languages.

NextUniverse said:
deg said:

one example that i thought of when i made that reply Joey Wheelers original japanese name is https://myanimelist.net/character/1377/Katsuya_Jounouchi
I was literally thinking of 4kids anime myself, YuGiOh is the biggest one. But that is such a small minority no?

Name changes seem more common in anime aimed at a young audience. Digimon which had nothing to do with 4kids made name changes too and funny enough they sometimes used different Japanese names so it was this odd mix of Anglocized names and new Japanese names. So you expect it to be the original but it's a rename. A few I understood why such as Ruki into Rika because Ruki sounds a lot like "rookie" which doesnt fit the character but many there wasn't an obvious reason why they changed it from one Japanese name to another.
Nov 18, 2021 8:41 PM

May 2010
Kanji/kana titles would be appreciated as an option.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
Nov 19, 2021 7:50 AM

Dec 2019
Default >>>>>>>> English & Spanish.
Nov 25, 2021 6:59 PM
Nov 2021
awesome!
Nov 26, 2021 2:43 AM

Feb 2019
Great
Nov 28, 2021 8:10 AM

Jul 2020
FINALLY! I have been waiting for this for a long time.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 1, 2021 3:03 AM

Apr 2011
Where do we post for titles that are licensed, yet the official English title doesn't display below the main title? For example, this was licensed by both ADV Films and FUNimation in the US and Canada, and released under the title "Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor". It currently shows only the romaji title, and this is also the same in my list which I just set to display English titles.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1374/Kyoushoku_Soukou_Guyver_2005

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?id=7525
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?id=19715
Dec 2, 2021 9:26 AM
Jul 2018
Myanimelist is updating the website is this the real world, I'm currently living in?
Good for them who needed this I'm gonna stick with Japanese names, because I'm used to it.
There is still hope for dark mode.
Dec 6, 2021 4:11 AM

Feb 2007
There also seems to be sorting added now to person pages - any chance to get an option for setting the default for this as well in our settings, for some weird reason it currently seems to be sorting by members by default instead of the expected sorting by title...?
Dec 6, 2021 12:07 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
@luinthoron It is stored in a cookie so it should remember your last setting on the same device.
For more discussion about sorts/filters, please use this thread. Thank you!
Dec 17, 2021 4:49 PM

Oct 2012
Kineta said:

A long-awaited feature has arrived at last!

You can now choose which title you would like to see on your anime and manga lists, from:
  • Main Title (romanized Japanese)
  • Official English Title (not translated)
  • Official French Title (not translated)
  • Official German Title (not translated)
  • Official Spanish Title (not translated)

@Kineta

There is still a minor bug:

When viewed from public (as in not logged into any MAL account), thoses options will not apply. In my case, I use the romanized titles and it won't apply if viewed from public. For some reason, it's set default as the English titles option.

But if viewed from any MAL account (being yourself or from another user), it will apply.
Jan 12, 2022 6:05 AM
Jun 2016
In the future may be the names in original Japanese like kanji or romaji? For example for fullmetal alchemist that appears Hagane no Renkinjutsushi or for Neon Genesis Evangelion that is Shinseiki Evangelion?
Apr 18, 2022 5:18 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
3rdNight said:
Kineta said:

A long-awaited feature has arrived at last!

You can now choose which title you would like to see on your anime and manga lists, from:
  • Main Title (romanized Japanese)
  • Official English Title (not translated)
  • Official French Title (not translated)
  • Official German Title (not translated)
  • Official Spanish Title (not translated)

@Kineta

When viewed from public (as in not logged into any MAL account), thoses options will not apply. In my case, I use the romanized titles and it won't apply if viewed from public. For some reason, it's set default as the English titles option.

But if viewed from any MAL account (being yourself or from another user), it will apply.
Same for me. Since this wasn't addressed, was this done for unification? why can't user preference be applied also when logged out? More strange why is the default title when logged out for everybody not using Main Title just like the rest of the site, but English?
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 21, 2022 9:13 AM

May 2015
iamKetranLang said:
3rdNight said:

@Kineta

Same for me. Since this wasn't addressed, was this done for unification? why can't user preference be applied also when logged out? More strange why is the default title when logged out for everybody not using Main Title just like the rest of the site, but English?

I just noticed this as well. Assuming this isn't an error (it's been almost a year after all), I'm guessing that they plan to have the setting eventually apply to the whole website, and having it in English by default might help with search engine optimization.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jul 30

273 by Ohayotaku »»
Today, 11:27 AM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

124 by florence023 »»
Yesterday, 11:38 PM

» Clubs Online ( 1 2 )

Xinil - Mar 30, 2007

59 by florence023 »»
Aug 29, 9:42 PM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Feb 23

254 by Huenkiuma »»
Aug 17, 7:17 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

157 by SpotiflyerApp »»
Aug 13, 12:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.