Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2021 8:18 PM

Nov 2019
This was an interesting start. First off we get a weird take of pairing of Kage and Bojji which we'll see throughout, and the animation overall is great and clean. Hope this gets better and better every week and I'm sticking to this anime more this season.
Oct 14, 2021 8:21 PM

May 2017
so good. probably the best this season.
Oct 14, 2021 8:23 PM

Aug 2018
Ok. I liked the first chapter, it's curious. The opening and ending are good.
Oct 14, 2021 8:43 PM
Aug 2018
Ousama Ranking was my most anticipated anime of 2021 since last October, even though hardly anyone knew about it, and I am so happy to say that after all the hyping I've been doing to myself this whole year, it did not disappoint at all.

It is precisely my favorite kind of anime. Something you could show a kid and he'd enjoy it, but that is so well made narratively that it won't bore adults either. There's a lot of subtle character moments that are REALLY well made, and it makes you feel these characters existed even before you started watching.

Also, for an anime about a deaf Prince, the show is REALLY good at portraying slight changes in body language (I'd say even as good as Ghibli or even KyoAni) and, while the designs are somewhat cartoony, the expressions are more nuanced than exaggerated most of the time, but it comes with a dynamism and a fluidity that still makes it stand out, ESPECIALLY in the action scenes. There's a whole sword fight that it's already probably my favorite animated sequence this year, and that's a LOT.

I don't know if it will keep this quality throughout the whole show, but I don't care because I'm already in love with it. Do yourself a favor a check out Ousama Ranking.
Oct 14, 2021 9:10 PM

Jan 2020
I definitely wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. I wasn't too sold when I first saw the key visual and art style but it didn't take long to find out I was wrong. The animation and art look very nice and consistent which I'm thankful for.

Bojji is very likeable so far and it was satisfying when he dodged all those attacks and proved people wrong at the end. The shadow really gives me fmab vibes lol

A very good start

Oct 14, 2021 10:08 PM

May 2021
Oh wow, this was a pleasant surprise. Almost didn't watch this because of the art style, but I suppose it was presumptuous of me to not have faith in Wit. I'd say the art style even fits the vibe of this show.
Oct 14, 2021 10:52 PM

Jan 2021
Damn, this looks pretty interesting.
Oct 14, 2021 11:02 PM

Mar 2017
One of my most anticipated shows this season alongside Blue Period and Komi, and this ep already delivers! Fantastic episode, so far my favorite ep 1 this season. Bojji is very charming!
Oct 15, 2021 12:02 AM

Jul 2016
well damn. that episode ended fast. his voice is exactly what i imagined it to sound like. been waiting for this anime, 11/10
Oct 15, 2021 12:38 AM

Jan 2011
good feelings about this we might be in for a good ride

show is about don't let looks be deceiving i'm all here for the rise of Bojji ,even the shit 2nd prince surprised me

music is so good too
Oct 15, 2021 1:16 AM

Dec 2020
usually not a fan of "mc is different and everyone bullies him" kind of thing but.. that was pretty nice wasnt it?

as kiddy or childish it looks i think it was.. really good. it went off my expectations at least, and i think ill continue to enjoy it
Oct 15, 2021 1:52 AM

May 2021
I LOVED THE FIRST EP
Oct 15, 2021 2:41 AM

Jul 2020
Has a huge potential. Very sad to see it's getting over looked because the art style looks childish though the Animation looks CLEAN af. It's a unique concept I've ever seen in the Anime medium. Curious to see how the world building will play out and how the citizens will finally accept Bojji as the true king.
11_BlueSky said:
Sondfer said:

Yeah, this could be it, but in different way too - studio is in big financial trouble right now.
they need to adapt a big name series

And for that they need to have a higher budget which is not possible as of now. I believe in them that they WILL pull it off from the financial crisis. Look at Kyoani. Even after the Arson they are still producing anime and movies like Kobayashi, Free movie and Violet Evergarden movie.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 15, 2021 3:15 AM
Feb 2011
i'm really glad that i watched it, despite judging by cover wrongly at first.

i was really sick of mecha, isekai, "i will scream and get stronger" type of animes

it was a heartwarming episode and felt really good. art was totally ok too.
Oct 15, 2021 4:55 AM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
What is all this hype about?
I really don't get it
It's just too childish for me, for now at least.
Oct 15, 2021 5:18 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Finally watched it.

What i noticed is that none of the more notable characters comes off as completely unlikable to me despite them looking down on Bojji so far except for the snake handler, honestly he's pretty suspicious. Like how even did that snake attack on Bojji happen, they kept that pretty secret.

Pretty good sign for me that these characters are multi-layered.

Time to root for Bojji and WIT Studio all the way through this ride.

Oct 15, 2021 5:27 AM

Jun 2020
This show looks really good, It does have a cartoony feel to it but it doesn't fail in scenes with blood in it. I am really impressed by Bojji character though being a kid unable to hear nor speak. He does his best to become a king and that is really inspiring. While Kage we dont know anything from him other than he is a member of a assassins clan. I really like Kage's Name (Shadow) it relates on what he is being a assassin and a black creature that looks like a shadow. Overall this first Episode is really Good I am really looking forward for more great episodes like these
Oct 15, 2021 5:31 AM
Mar 2021
I really like this first episode. We all know from beginning Bojji can understand what people say by lips movement so there is no way he won't notice what people talk about him and no way he is okay with that. But he always smile. I know he is only pretending, when he finally cry in his room, I become sad too :((

He has strong heart so I am looking forward to see his journey to become king.

I am also interested with his relationship with kage, maybe Kage will become his translator in the future? XD, well I am looking forward to it.
Oct 15, 2021 5:33 AM
Dec 2015
wit studio not holding back with the true potential of the animation teams ..Its a really beautiful animation ,felt like Mushoku meets koe no katachi meets One piece.. totally recommend you to watch n give it a try.. 1st episode is like 7.8 for me.lets see this journey.
Oct 15, 2021 5:52 AM

May 2012
I was going to drop this because it looks childish and stupid

But I'm glad that I did not..... it is better than what I expected
Oct 15, 2021 6:01 AM
Apr 2015
SideCharacterKal said:
An obedient, smiling prince who's deaf and can't talk but one thing in the world can understand him (and the sword trainer) in a friendly way? That's pretty interesting. After meeting Kage, Bojji's whole life made a 180 turn. It was pretty hilarious to see Kage blushing around him. He's a pretty friendly thief.

The queen is an arrogant whore, I can't believe that she can be like that in front of her own child but back in the days. ''Worthless'' people are treated like that. The little bit of backstory on the king and Kage's shadow clan was pretty interesting.

And Prince Daida is annoying as hell. I expected him to be like that xD Forgot to mention that the action animation is pretty clean. Facial expressions are even better than Blue Period. Which is just HILARIOUS. Bojji vs Daida was amazing. Boji has some hidden talent in him and is pretty good at dodging xD His senes are probably better than the average people out there.

The anime reminded me of childhood cartoons but this is probably far better. Hopefully with this WIT studio will save themselves from breaking apart. The studio is doing pretty bad in the industry but let's see how this will play out. It'll be a 2-cour anime so a full adaptation I guess. His adventure life is near.
The artstyle is pretty childish but I expect WIT studio to add something which will (hopefully) make it better more visual pleasing. The OP is a banger too!

Here's some more information about WIT studio's financial problems.

Its 2nd queen is not his mother, his mother died which was a titan as well
Wondering how she got birth to a normal human size child (Boji)
Oct 15, 2021 8:03 AM

Oct 2016
Holy shit, that was really fucking great! I am hooked already, the premise and the world is really interesting and of course our boy Bojji is really easy to root for. Go our future king! We also getting some sick ass action scenes. Definitely one of the best premieres this season, really looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 15, 2021 8:15 AM
Apr 2015
Bojji was so great, amazing first episode🥺 I really want to see more
Oct 15, 2021 8:48 AM
May 2015
Lovely animation and character designs! One of the only new anime I was interested in this season and it didn't disappoint, I can tell this is going to be a charming wholesome adventure with lots of imagination. Hope someone like Mother's Basement or Gigguk talks about it to give it some attention like they did with Odd Taxi.
My candies:

Bonus candies:
Oct 15, 2021 9:06 AM

Jan 2017
Loved the first episode and the character designs. Hope people don’t sleep on this. Also, does anyone else think Daida kind of reminds them of Joffrey Baratheon? 😅
Oct 15, 2021 9:48 AM

Dec 2020
I really wanted to watch only 12-13 eps anime this season bcoz next Spring, I have really important exams coming. This anime is an exception

Oct 15, 2021 10:27 AM

Nov 2014
Weird anime. It doesn't look like something I'd watch, but there seems to be some depth to it. Nothing special happened, yet I want to see more.
It might just turn out to be one of the better titles this season.
Oct 15, 2021 11:41 AM

Feb 2008
Amazing animation during the dodging scene!
The premise of the show is also pretty interesting. Looks like this will be a good contender for show of the season.
Oct 15, 2021 1:34 PM

Nov 2013
Instantly fell in love! This be "odd taxi" of this season for me!
Oct 15, 2021 6:57 PM

Oct 2008
This was nice! Bojji and Kage are true partners!
4/5.

Oct 15, 2021 7:49 PM

Jul 2016
MUST PROTECT BOJJI! MY SON!

Promising start overall. Art-style reminds me of some children books and I particularly look forward to seeing how this story will develop.
Oct 15, 2021 8:18 PM
Feb 2018
WIIXAnd said:
I really don't get it

For me, bcs it's a seinen anime adapted by wit studio (i like vinland saga)
first episode of ousama ranking is 10/10 for me and i'm crying hahaha
The artstyle, animation, and voice actors are great
It is about a deaf prince, so it's not childish FOR ME
Hahaha
Oct 15, 2021 8:23 PM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
firstawahono said:
WIIXAnd said:
I really don't get it

Hahaha

Art? Animation? Lol what?
Ah yes the deaf prince such a heartbreaking anime *sob*

But yeah this hype is JUST for wit studio, I wonder how much time it will maintain this hype.
Oct 15, 2021 9:00 PM

Sep 2020
WIIXAnd said:
firstawahono said:

Hahaha

But yeah this hype is JUST for wit studio, I wonder how much time it will maintain this hype.
The art style is childish but the animation is great it's soo fluid as expected from Wit studio.

This type of story have no boundaries every one can enjoy from young to adult audience. The story did a great job in makeing you sympathize with the main character in just one episode.

Ghibli movies are soo popular and well received not because of its stories but it's execution. Looking at this first episode I could already tell this is wit studio's passion project.
Oct 16, 2021 3:25 AM
Feb 2018
Since this is a consecutive 2-cour that'll cover the entire manga,
Oct 16, 2021 3:26 AM
Feb 2018
Since this is a consecutive 2-cour that'll cover the entire manga

Source that it will cover the entire manga??
Oct 16, 2021 3:26 AM
Feb 2018

Oct 16, 2021 7:18 AM
May 2020
absolutely loving the first episode
Oct 16, 2021 7:34 AM
May 2018
fahimsadik said:

The truth is we don't know, really. We only know that there will be 23 episodes.

And there are rumours that the 12th volume of the manga will be the last volume, so we're just guessing because the numbers maybe fit.

Though I personally hope that the adaptation will be complete.
Oct 16, 2021 7:41 AM
Jul 2019
I can't believe Domas was voiced by Eguchi Takuya lol. The voice is really similar to Makoto Furukawa (Saitama, Miyuki)
Oct 16, 2021 7:50 AM

Feb 2018
WIIXAnd said:
firstawahono said:

Hahaha

You don't even know a thing about source material. But yeah the entitled you knows this is the CHILDISH show. Yeah, of course...

Also fluid animation really works great only with simplistic art. I would always prefer fluid animation over amazing art for anime.
Simplistic art doesn't mean bad art for me. In this case, the character design seems fine to me. And the simple designs makes the animation easier
shubh_jain_2Oct 16, 2021 8:00 AM
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Oct 16, 2021 7:56 AM

Feb 2018
em_doubleyou said:
fahimsadik said:

The truth is we don't know, really. We only know that there will be 23 episodes.

And there are rumours that the 12th volume of the manga will be the last volume, so we're just guessing because the numbers maybe fit.

Though I personally hope that the adaptation will be complete.

I think attempting complete adaption in 23 episodes might be really rushed. Well we will see though. If they were really going for complete adaption 26 should have been much better than 23.
I hope they don't go for complete adaption.
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Oct 16, 2021 9:00 AM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
shubh_jain_2 said:
WIIXAnd said:
for now at least.

You don't even know a thing about source material. But yeah the entitled you knows this is the CHILDISH show. Yeah, of course...

Also fluid animation really works great only with simplistic art. I would always prefer fluid animation over amazing art for anime.
Simplistic art doesn't mean bad art for me. In this case, the character design seems fine to me. And the simple designs makes the animation easier

I think you have MISSED some of my words?

Fluid animation? nah It's just normal with very poor art, and I do know about source material, it's a manga that nobody knows about, right?
Oct 16, 2021 9:21 AM
Apr 2021
WIIXAnd said:
shubh_jain_2 said:

I think you have MISSED some of my words?

Fluid animation? nah It's just normal with very poor art, and I do know about source material, it's a manga that nobody knows about, right?
there's nothing to look at people it just someone who love to provoke people
5gd34rOct 16, 2021 9:29 AM
Oct 16, 2021 10:03 AM

Apr 2015
I'm impressed! This was second on my list of what Fall 2021 anime I was looking forward to the most - due to the amazing staff line-up - and I was not disappointed. Great first episode. Bojji is such an adorable kid, it hurt to see so many people making fun of him but he'll show them all up one day. There's not many anime that showcase MCs with disabilities, but this first episode already did an excellent job of portraying the hardships that come with it. Being deaf has many disadvantages when it comes to swordfighting, so it'll be interesting to see how Bojji could make it up with his tactical skills. This anime really has a lot of potential. I hope it won't disappoint storyline-wise any time soon.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Oct 16, 2021 10:45 AM

Jan 2008
Been a while (sometimes around Bronze Age) since a seasonal anime actually got my attention, but this start was more than just promising.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Oct 16, 2021 11:44 AM
Jul 2016
This show reminds me a lot of "Future Boy Conan". Different theme, but you can definitely see the similarities in art style.
Oct 16, 2021 12:08 PM
Jan 2021
OUSAMA RANKING 1st Episode IMPRESSION:

Now this is a fresh breath! Nice premises, beautiful distinguish art style, fluid animation, rich characterization, great score, AMAZING OP! and a homies ED (somehow share the same feeling as Naruto 1stED and One Piece 1stED, it gave you a nostalgic feeling to something you haven't even experience yet). All i can say impressive premier!

But mostly i'm excited about the narrative, the way they construct this as if you're reading a children's story book. Very Disney-esque, very Ghibli-esque, also very rare in this time. The story itself looks full of potential, but they kinda already rushed it a little at the end of this episode, so it's kinda worries me a bit. But in terms of plot, this probably had my interest the most than any other shows this season

And i'm also glad that there's more studio going into this kinda storytelling non-mainstream formula, just like Odd Taxi did back in spring. We need this!

Burried from everybody's radars? check!
Surprise premier nobody anticipate? check!
Unique storytelling? check!
WIT studio? check!
Potentially the Gem of the season? For sure!!
Oct 16, 2021 1:33 PM

Apr 2015
As I expected this anime is the surprise of the autumn season with a great story and animation, I am waiting for chapter 2 I hope that more people know this anime
Oct 16, 2021 1:36 PM

Dec 2016
This was beautiful and touching.

Bojji is the most adorable prince I've ever seen.

No one really understands Bojji, but he met Kage and for some reason they understand each other. I can already sense it'll be the most touching friendship.

I teared up when Bojji started crying when he was alone.

Finally King Gnu got to perform for another anime after Banana Fish.

Loved the ED by yama.

So happy this will have 23 episodes.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2022

225 by killjoy131 »»
Jun 18, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

109 by filoshi »»
May 31, 3:10 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2022

231 by Lanz »»
May 23, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 17, 2022

119 by Lanz »»
May 22, 6:23 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2022

110 by Lanz »»
May 20, 11:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.