Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 22, 2021 10:38 AM

Aug 2013
Another hilarious episode. Kumoko has it rough. XD

We got more content about the other students. I don't hate it that much but I'm here for the spider.

Jan 22, 2021 10:40 AM

Apr 2008
I think I prefer manga's way of telling the story over how anime and light novel does it.
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Jan 22, 2021 10:44 AM

May 2014
mcbignuts said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

Yeah I remembered all of that. Now all those are fine ideas to have in a story, but what I'm trying to say that the execution of these ideas in the novel, and also in the anime, make for a really boring experience. I can of course only comment on the small parts of the story that I have seen, maybe the author grows more proficient later.
Volume 5 is the big one, and the human storyline is dealt with in far later parts as well. There are some interesting connections there. But maybe you wouldn't find them interesting either; I don't know.
Jan 22, 2021 10:49 AM

Apr 2012
I'm probably the only one that feels this way, but I really just want to fast forward to the part where Unnamed Spider meets up with the rest of the Ise-Class. I get the distinct impression this series will be much more my speed once it gets to that point.
Jan 22, 2021 10:55 AM

Jun 2019
It’s disappointing because there are aspects of this anime that I like, but there is too much going against it. The MC is too loud too often. The 3D monsters look bad. There is little flow between the MC’s story and her classmates’ stories. Plus the fights are poorly choreographed, so there are times that I do not know what is going on. I’m hoping that it gets better, but it looks like this is what it is at this point.
Jan 22, 2021 10:59 AM

Oct 2013
I feel like this might be starting to run out of steam very quickly.

Kumoko scrambling around versus random CGI monsters with Aoi Yuuki gives me a headache more than interest me.

The human side has more potential of being interesting, yet I haven't found any remarkable characters yet.

Shun is the usual goody two shoes, Hugo is the arrogant bad guy now. I found Fei to be interesting at least.

If it goes on like this with basically having no story- it's a drop from me
Jan 22, 2021 11:12 AM
Jan 2021
mcbignuts said:
Wow that was pretty terrible all in all.

First of the human side of things is so painfully bland and boring. Take any other generic Isekai and paste over it and nothing changes. It's so choke filled with overdone tropes, the sister who is super clingy to her brother, the protag who is a prodigy and a nice guy, the rival who is kind of a dick. There is nothing wrong with using these tropes but that is literally all these characters are, there is nothing extra about them. It was way more noticable now that they ate up half the screen time.

Secondly the direction and cgi. So the cg has been mediocre from the start but there was just so much of it this episode that my Berserk ptsd started to act up. Some of the shot composition and selection here was just baffling. Hugo teleports from his seat to be standing next to the male protag(i dont remeber his name) the shot of Hugo dissing everyone water magic held for way to long with nothing happening, the action scenes were a mess with the camera going all over the place, and the last scene in the human story line where half the screen was covered in the blood effect almost made me laugh out loud. Having seen the level of cg in Land of the Lustrous and beastars makes this travesty almost unbearable.

The first two episode were not amazing but I still watched because I enjoy the manga in a turn my brain of kind of way. But I might just drop this here, having to sit through more of the human side sounds pretty miserable. I dont see it getting any better from here.

This. Maybe if I didn't see so many animes, I could handle how generic the human segments are. They are just so unoriginal. Enough with these bro con sisters fawning of their gary stu brothers. This show is going to hemorrhage viewers until they stop trying to be a bad show and a good show mixed together and just be a good show.
Jan 22, 2021 11:17 AM
Jul 2016
Everything that isn’t kumoko is dull and boring in my opinion. Sure it’s worldbuilding but I still find it uninteresting
Jan 22, 2021 11:28 AM
Feb 2016
I like it so far. I believe the story has great potencial, but we will have to wait to see how the two main plots will merge.
Jan 22, 2021 11:30 AM

Mar 2013
Episode was nice, howver I find Shun extremely annoying.
Kumoko running into the Dragon was unexpected, excited to see how this will play out tho.
"You think your power has limits, I say it's limitless."

Jan 22, 2021 11:48 AM

May 2014
sirenix said:
Most people do. That is fully intentional by the author. It will make more sense later on.

I absolutely loathe Shun in a vacuum, but he does play the role of a generic, seemingly Gary Stu harem lead pretty well, so he works in this particular story. There is a reason why this guy isn't the actual protagonist.

If you want to mockingly laugh at him, there will be great content on that front later.
Jan 22, 2021 12:08 PM

Feb 2017
Mediocre execution & direction the whole episode... the worst part being the fight against the ground dragon (however was it called)
action direction & shot choices/composition were bad, confusing & plain
Jan 22, 2021 12:17 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Given how much stamina she will lose in combat guess you have to become quite the heavy eater in this world. So im guessing detection ended up picking up that swarm that lived nearby then. That succession of ambushes though sure was a tense affair. Looks like Sue is quite close to her brother. Rather than having a lesson focused on theory having a practical lesson off the bat was an interesting idea. While having great skill is a good thing not having enough discipline to hold back renders it moot. But things sure got real pretty quickly with the dragon attack. Despite the shock Schlain's charge with his friends was pretty inspiring. Fei though sure was the MVP here. Though somewhat affected by Hugo's interference the ad hoc team of Schlain, Karnatia, Sue and Yurin sure did well in saving the class. Overall a good mix of character expansion and action via the two parties respective encounters with their trials. From the looks of things looks like the series will be balancing between the view points of the two.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2021 12:28 PM

Jan 2020
This was honestly my favorite episode of the series so far. The cgi kinda sucked but I really liked how they heavily focused on the other characters rather than just Kumoko.

Jan 22, 2021 12:52 PM

Apr 2015
So Kumoko has learned that she's still heavily underleveled compared to.... average human adventurers? A lot more leveling up to do.

Human side was rather interesting and not really for the good reasons. The CGI dragon aside, that Hugo person is gonna be trouble, already hate his ass and honesty don't have much good to say to that whole class. That teacher died protecting them and no one gave a fuck... My Sympathy for Fei though, eventho she didn't get any credit for killing that earth dragon, but it even got her the "kin-eater" in her appraisal...

Overall a pretty average episode, not enough Kumoko. Eventho she has run into an Earth Dragon on her own..
Jan 22, 2021 1:13 PM
Aug 2016
So... We have mangareaders ranting over something they should have clearly figured out that the LN is different. And we have people who don't have patience to see how the story turns out later. Well, can't blame them. Just loving the fact that this Fandom gets smaller. (wholesome😊)
Jan 22, 2021 1:44 PM

Dec 2010
Manga only reader here so i admit i'm a bit spoiled, infact i didn't like much these episodes with humans only, pretty weak and clichè, prefer Kumoko trial in the cave 24/7 like in the manga. Kumoko is the only character i like expecially when she evolve futher, along the vampire, but this anime adaption is based on the novel so it can't be helped, need to endure these human side stories. :D
Jan 22, 2021 1:54 PM

Nov 2011
Would have liked to see more Death outside of the teacher but whatever. I could really care less about the students. I just want to see our Spider Girl evolve more.

I liked the Spider Man and Godzilla references though.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 22, 2021 1:58 PM

Aug 2020
The moment the studio decided to make the earth dragon CG the battle was decided.
expired_0Jan 22, 2021 2:02 PM
Jan 22, 2021 2:03 PM

Oct 2007
as usual, skipped over all the other reincarnated human scenes ( and will keep skipping even if I rewatch this episode). They annoy me.

Kumoko being chased again by humans. Funny, how appraising only says the human name. lol
Good thing those dinosaurs were there to block the way.

Araba vs snakes and wasps. Those things did not stand a chance, even if they ganged up on him.

Jan 22, 2021 2:07 PM

Mar 2013
TheDeedsOfMen said:
sirenix said:
Most people do. That is fully intentional by the author. It will make more sense later on.

OHHHHHHH 👀 sounds spicy, now I am very intrigued what will happen with him.
After this has finished airing I think I'll give the Manga a go.
"You think your power has limits, I say it's limitless."

Jan 22, 2021 2:26 PM

May 2014
sirenix said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

OHHHHHHH 👀 sounds spicy, now I am very intrigued what will happen with him.
After this has finished airing I think I'll give the Manga a go.
Go with the light novel. The manga isn't even very far, and it cuts most of the plot, including the human side (which is very, very relevant for Kumoko as well).
Jan 22, 2021 3:02 PM
Dec 2017
SoraSenpai said:
Would have liked to see more Death outside of the teacher but whatever. I could really care less about the students. I just want to see our Spider Girl evolve more.

I liked the Spider Man and Godzilla references though.

Mommy dragon's target was rescue Fei.
Notice how she only used the breath attack when Fei was away from the group.
Jan 22, 2021 3:07 PM
Nov 2017
At least the anime's being faithful to the light novel
The spider sections of the story are infinitely more exciting to watch/read than the human sections
Jan 22, 2021 4:36 PM

Nov 2012
First episode I didn't really like, mainly due to the focus on the classroom.

Hugo seems like a complete idiot, the rest don't really standout at all. Even the bland prince.

Right now I find this show it most interesting when it focused on Kumoko.
Jan 22, 2021 5:02 PM

Jun 2017
omg its the alien from castleminer z guys!11!!!11
Jan 22, 2021 5:49 PM

Jan 2011
gonna be honest i actually thought this was pretty bad and the fight choreography was awful with piss poor overall direction

Rip to the sensei guess for future reference don't have your training ground near earth drakes or whatever?

spider stuff.. okay Aoi still hard carrying it

and i pray Sue doesn't keep this onii-sama shit up for the whole show had enough for that last season
katsu044Jan 22, 2021 5:54 PM
Jan 22, 2021 6:29 PM

Jan 2021
I don't really have a problem with the animation. To me, so far, the human story is really boring. But, I'm loving the spider side of the story.
Jan 22, 2021 6:41 PM

May 2014
katsu044 said:
and i pray Sue doesn't keep this onii-sama shit up for the whole show had enough for that last season
Sue isn't even important enough to appear often in the series. More like barely ever. You can't shill your brother if you have no lines.
Jan 22, 2021 7:15 PM

Jan 2011
TheDeedsOfMen said:
katsu044 said:
Sue isn't even important enough to appear often in the series. More like barely ever. You can't shill your brother if you have no lines.
i'm just gonna interpret that as though shes a extremely minor character and not for other reasons ,but i guess that's fine in it's own way
Jan 22, 2021 7:29 PM
Dec 2018
mcbignuts said:
Wow that was pretty terrible all in all.

First of the human side of things is so painfully bland and boring. Take any other generic Isekai and paste over it and nothing changes. It's so choke filled with overdone tropes, the sister who is super clingy to her brother, the protag who is a prodigy and a nice guy, the rival who is kind of a dick. There is nothing wrong with using these tropes but that is literally all these characters are, there is nothing extra about them. It was way more noticable now that they ate up half the screen time.

Secondly the direction and cgi. So the cg has been mediocre from the start but there was just so much of it this episode that my Berserk ptsd started to act up. Some of the shot composition and selection here was just baffling. Hugo teleports from his seat to be standing next to the male protag(i dont remeber his name) the shot of Hugo dissing everyone water magic held for way to long with nothing happening, the action scenes were a mess with the camera going all over the place, and the last scene in the human story line where half the screen was covered in the blood effect almost made me laugh out loud. Having seen the level of cg in Land of the Lustrous and beastars makes this travesty almost unbearable.

The first two episode were not amazing but I still watched because I enjoy the manga in a turn my brain of kind of way. But I might just drop this here, having to sit through more of the human side sounds pretty miserable. I dont see it getting any better from here.

The humans are supposed to be generic and you aren't supposed to like them.(Except for Oka)
Also, we probably won't be seeing them again for an episode or two, unless they come up with anime original scenes to fill the gap. Please understand that there is a purpose for their part of the story getting a spotlight. And we'll actually get payoff for slogging through their "side stories". Also, most complaints about this series are what you have just mentioned, but we'll be done with them sometime between episode 15 and 20.
Jan 22, 2021 7:34 PM

May 2014
katsu044 said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
i'm just gonna interpret that as though shes a extremely minor character and not for other reasons ,but i guess that's fine in it's own way
"She is an extremely minor character" is the correct interpretation. When I was reading some of the later parts of the novel, I sometimes forgot that she exists.

And let me also say that the magic school isn't an important setting either. This isn't a school drama.
Jan 22, 2021 8:00 PM

Jan 2011
TheDeedsOfMen said:
katsu044 said:
"She is an extremely minor character" is the correct interpretation. When I was reading some of the later parts of the novel, I sometimes forgot that she exists.

And let me also say that the magic school isn't an important setting either. This isn't a school drama.
i see, hard to gauge how important this other stuff is with them splitting it up
Jan 22, 2021 8:01 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
We got some more human stuff this episode, and I’m glad because I find it pretty interesting, but of course I’d like to see more Kumoko too. The CGI on nerfed Godzilla was also pretty bad but I might be too used to it because it didn’t bother me much lol.
Jan 22, 2021 8:13 PM
Aug 2014
How are people missing the point of the human segments this much?

Clearly they're meant as a counter-point to the spider story. They're not supposed to stand on their own and they aren't even supposed to be especially sympathetic. The role they play is basically as the villains here. The ones who are unfairly favored for no reason.

The novelty of this series is that they get any kind of positive characterization.
Jan 22, 2021 8:18 PM
May 2019
The CGI in this show isn’t bad, but I notice it gets worse as the monsters get bigger. The smaller monsters look good, but the dinosaurs/dragons/snake don’t looks too good. Still, the animation has been decent so far. The first three episodes have felt like exposition, which isn’t bad, but I’d like to see the story go somewhere soon.
Jan 22, 2021 8:31 PM

May 2014
katsu044 said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

i see, hard to gauge how important this other stuff is with them splitting it up
That isn't a matter of splitting up the story. The place isn't that important for the human side either. They are only hanging out at the school temporarily, and they'll move on to more interesting places and things. Pretty soon, actually.

genrtul said:
How are people missing the point of the human segments this much?

Clearly they're meant as a counter-point to the spider story. They're not supposed to stand on their own and they aren't even supposed to be especially sympathetic. The role they play is basically as the villains here. The ones who are unfairly favored for no reason.

The novelty of this series is that they get any kind of positive characterization.
There are also other reasons why they exist in the story, but that is one of them. When watching, you are supposed to dislike Shun especially.
TheDeedsOfMenJan 22, 2021 8:34 PM
Jan 22, 2021 8:48 PM

Oct 2008
this is such a mess but from what my little brain logic understands Fei is similar to Kumoko. Fei was just reincarnated earlier than Kumoko.
i wonder when will their paths converge...
4/5.

Jan 22, 2021 9:10 PM

Mar 2019
Boring episode...

Not convinced at all yet, and then we get this episode...

What a shame, good expectations are almost gone.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jan 22, 2021 10:16 PM
Feb 2018
linkhuesitos said:
ghtyujkkpkohkjb said:
You killed one of your species who's probably one of your parents. But let's forget that you've never known them. Drama level is over 9000...

You mean the parent she never knew because humans decided to kidnap her.
For all we know maybe the Earth Wyrm was there just to rescue Fei.

I mean the parents she never knew because she was reincarnated. And if everything is just like you supposed it feels like a filler we'll see closer to the end of the series. About child-parent relations.
Jan 22, 2021 10:21 PM
Dec 2017
ghtyujkkpkohkjb said:
I mean the parents she never knew because she was reincarnated.
Feels like a filler we'll see closer to the end of the series. About child-parent relations.

???
The only reason why she didn't came to know her parents was because she was kidnaped.
She got birth in an egg just like every other Earth Wyrm. None of the students posessed an already existing living being.
linkhuesitosJan 22, 2021 10:26 PM
Jan 22, 2021 10:27 PM

Jan 2018
We need more of the spider and less of the humans.
Jan 22, 2021 10:45 PM
Sep 2019
Im getting bored now, feel like im just watching a spider screaming every seconds.. slime is better, 1 episode and he's already OP
Jan 22, 2021 10:47 PM
Dec 2017
GurenNoOu said:
Im getting bored now, feel like im just watching a spider screaming every seconds.. slime is better, 1 episode and he's already OP

Screaming is the every day for Kumoko until
Jan 22, 2021 11:11 PM

May 2014
LargeFries said:
Everything that isn’t kumoko is dull and boring in my opinion. Sure it’s worldbuilding but I still find it uninteresting

That's not even worldbuilding, tho. They haven't told or shown anything about the world. There's even more worldbuilding in Kumoko segments showing how she levels up and gains new skills than in any scene of the other characters

This series is getting really disappointing, I still kinda like Kumoko (mainly for Aoi Yuuki), but the rest is just bland and uninterested... and of course, you can always count with an LNtard claiming "it will get better in 300 chapters"
Jan 22, 2021 11:34 PM
Dec 2018
Rhapsody- said:
LargeFries said:

That's not even worldbuilding, tho. They haven't told or shown anything about the world. There's even more worldbuilding in Kumoko segments showing how she levels up and gains new skills than in any scene of the other characters

This series is getting really disappointing, I still kinda like Kumoko (mainly for Aoi Yuuki), but the rest is just bland and uninterested... and of course, you can always count with an LNtard claiming "it will get better in 300 chapters"

You aren't supposed to like the humans~
They are supposed to be generic~
This is literally the only major complaint this series has, and it's going to stop being an issue in 12 episodes~
Jan 22, 2021 11:56 PM
Aug 2016
jaw201 said:
Rhapsody- said:

You aren't supposed to like the humans~
They are supposed to be generic~
This is literally the only major complaint this series has, and it's going to stop being an issue in 12 episodes~

You can't make people have patience nowadays. We're going to lose a lot of new watchers, it's only normal. Bungou stray dogs experienced it, radiant experienced it and so many other animes like this. It's not something to trouble yourself about. The people that have patience to stick around will love it more as time goes on
Jan 23, 2021 12:07 AM
Sep 2016
Everybody (especially non LN or WN readers) : complains about Shun.
Me (a WN reader) : Alaba is depicted so F*ing LAME in the anime! He is supposed to be extremely intimidating, the experience of meeting him the first time alone should be enough to traumatize Shiraori/Kumoko for the entirery of the earlier volumes!!!

Next EP: "Saru, howa-? (Monkeys, wha-?)"
The monkeys (Anogratch) battle alone should be epic enough to be made into an independent EP.... Are they really going to simplify the battle? Because, there should be a
coming up next after Alaba's introduction, where
Or, are they intent to make it into a 2-part battle instead? Since I can easily see some climactic moments within the battle where they could easily insert "fade-to-black into to-be-continued in the next EP...."

I guess they intent to reach
before the quarter of the series, perhaps to spice things up faster....?
uncleqrowJan 23, 2021 12:21 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Jan 23, 2021 12:20 AM
Aug 2016
uncleqrow said:
Me (a WN reader) : Alaba is depicted so F*ing LAME in the anime! He is supposed to be extremely intimidating, the experience of meeting him the first time alone should be enough to traumatize Shiraori/Kumoko for the entirery of the earlier volumes!!!

The monkeys (Anogratch) battle alone should be epic enough to be made into an independent EP.... Are they really going to simplify the battle? Because, there should be a

I think they'll skip the fujincote part
Tbh, it's a good novel part but it isn't really anime worthy. Tho i have no idea how they'll develop her kumo morning star and poison synthesis tho. And for araba. We all know the animation is sub par but that's what we got
Jan 23, 2021 12:22 AM
Aug 2016
uncleqrow said:

The Shun part is something i don't blame people for not understanding till the story stretches. It's meant to be seriously ambiguous. Heck it took me till volume 5 of the Ln to understand why there was a human side to this story
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

140 by Psicrom »»
May 26, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

370 by Youtube_Zero »»
May 9, 5:10 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

138 by LunaInkChan »»
Apr 26, 11:17 PM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Apr 19, 5:07 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.