Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 24, 2020 7:35 AM

Oct 2019
This whole season, as many have said, has been a fun ride. The visuals are great especially coming from a Studio Pierrot. There was a lot of creativity involved, from the OP changes revealing the deaths of Akudama to the title of Each episode being a movie with one similar theme or scene within the show.
The song was a bit weird when I first heard it but this last episode, I was bopping my head to the song as Courier drives off. I had only wished more stuff could have been added to the characters but overall, I give this series a 9.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Dec 24, 2020 7:36 AM
Sep 2020
Loved how it ended although it could've been better. Its just that it was rushed but it's not a bad rush, a great rush in my opinion.
Visuals and animation were fire 🔥.
Definitely not a masterpiece although to some but at most it's an 8 or 9/10 for me.

This is the only episode where Swindler becomes an actual Swindler while retaining that Ordinary Girl image of herself. Didn't expect that kind of swindling and how big of an influence would be while making it relatable to society. Also RIP Courier, man has been doing his job. A likeable character tbh.

Truly a hidden gem of Fall 2020 and definitely has to be in contention for the anime of Fall 2020. Just randomly picking out anime this season and found it on week 2 but I didn't expect much for the value that this has.

Probably the most successful cyberpunk release of this year lol.
iamdropDec 24, 2020 8:19 AM
Dec 24, 2020 7:43 AM
Dec 2015
visually stunning, plot wise eeiehh

it felt like they squeezed two seasons into one, as the original plot of "criminals do crime" and the plot of "saving kids from a city thats also god?" were very different imo. to me, it feels like this anime was a victim of length. with only 12 episodes it really limits the time you can dedicate to giving everyone their character arcs. i think that shark and bunny were a good way to give us the information we needed about the setting without taking up too much time, but i think the show could have only benefitted from having more time to explore and flesh out the setting

Dec 24, 2020 7:47 AM

Jul 2020
I didn't expect to survive the akudamas so.... yeah, the show was pretty good! the animation, story, soundtrack, and character, Overall 8/10
Dec 24, 2020 7:48 AM

May 2020
An amazing anime, with a great, but tragic ending to the main characters T_T
It's still one of the best this year!
Dec 24, 2020 7:50 AM

Nov 2019
First four episodes were weak and the series obviously never got a chance to flesh things out, but at least Kodaka's ideas were there for the second half of the series
Dec 24, 2020 7:52 AM

Mar 2020
All executioners can do is kill to solve problems, proves that they are no better than Akudama.

What a thrilling anime, Studio Pierrot...fantastic work! This final episode was magnificent, went from a touching and sad goodbye to a rebellion against the executioners and then Courier giving his life to let the children reach Shikoku, god...what a great ending.

Well people won't remember Ordinary Person as swindler, they will remember her as a normal civilian.

Final score 8/10 > 8/10
Penguinman37Dec 24, 2020 7:55 AM
Dec 24, 2020 7:57 AM

Sep 2016
While all of the characters death was on point with their character, the open ending kinda ruined it. I like to think the brother and sister found happiness on the other side.

7/10
Dec 24, 2020 8:02 AM

Aug 2020
At least the town realized everything but this show was not that enjoyable to me

Courier is so cool 😞
Dec 24, 2020 8:03 AM
Sep 2020
Honestly, after this episode, I’ve grown to like Courier more. The ending... better than some of the previous episodes, to be honest. A bit rushed, but I couldn’t imagine another season of Akudama Drive.

The ending actually made me a bit sad, even though this show has never brought out my emotions before. Overall, I wouldn’t give it more than a six. A seven is being generous.
Dec 24, 2020 8:05 AM

May 2019
Whaaaat is that it? They just died like that while the two annoying female executioners and their stupid chief are still alive? That's dark.

Thanks hacker, proven himself useful even in death.

And RIP Courier and Swindler.

I think everyone who watched this, whether they loved it or hated it, would agree on this one thing: This anime had some gorgeous visuals.

8/10 overall. Could be a masterpiece if the second half wasn't a bit meh and if at least one of the Akudama somehow survived. When everyone dies it just leaves a bitter aftertaste, y'know.. a not very pleasant one. Like soap.
bluninjaDec 24, 2020 8:21 AM
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Dec 24, 2020 8:10 AM

Apr 2016
I have mix feeling but i sure did enjoyed this series
BRAWLERS
Dec 24, 2020 8:12 AM

Jul 2015
Swindler actually killed the most people in the series, through indirectly as a result of her actions.

Also, loli confronting executioners for killing her parents was quite sad and emotional.
There are no heroes in this story.
PiromyslDec 24, 2020 10:22 AM

Dec 24, 2020 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty cool ending. I'm very sad all Akudama died including Swindler...She was really bravery woman. "I'm Ordinary Person (Swindler)!"
I was impressed Courier's action and death. He was awesome until end. RIP my favorite character.
I'm glad brother and sister alive. Kansai fell in chaos due to Swindler's last means. Not enough Executioners detail IMO because their depiction was so little. Rest of settings was unknown, too.
This show has stellar fighting scenes and deep characters but story was obviously unsatisfied. However, one of best anime for me. AKUDAMA DRIVE.
Dec 24, 2020 8:29 AM

Oct 2015
good show, I had my doubts that the show would derail to something else than advertised but I'm glad it didn't. It offered everything it was supposed to and did it perfectly.
Dec 24, 2020 8:41 AM
Feb 2018
Now I'm very curious about what's on the other side of that gate at the end.
Dec 24, 2020 8:41 AM

Feb 2019
So it pretty much ended how we expected with everyone dying. I wish I could’ve found it in me to actually care about any of the characters and their deaths. Swindler and courrier’s efforts at the end were really impressive, though. That animation during courrier’s riding up the tower was awesome too

I think Akudama drive had some really cool and unique concepts and really did try to be original , but it just didn’t hit for me. 6/10. Probably my least fave of the season alongside 100-man.
Dec 24, 2020 8:46 AM

Dec 2014
Well, I guess the show went out with a banger, Courier and Swindler included in fact. Kinda wished we gotta a better ending montage.

Overall, there isn't really much to say about this, it was a crazy over the top fun ride. Nothing more and nothing less, but it was fun and pure spectacle right from the start until the very end. I liked the first half more than the second cause it felt they rushed through the second half killing characters to give us the big conclusion but maybe it worked against them a little.

7/10
Dec 24, 2020 8:47 AM

Jun 2019
That was an amazing final episode. This show has gotten better with every passing episode. This is why i watch seasonal anime, for shows like this.

Super animation, stunning visuals with loads of symbolism in this episode along with the perfect OST for sci-fi action.

@_MushiRock11_ completey agree with your sentiment. This has been a great show and a nice surprise for me this season. Top quality animation and visuals.

Great show, an easy 9/10 for me.
23feanorDec 24, 2020 10:22 AM
Dec 24, 2020 8:57 AM

Sep 2013
Very refreshing anime,not predictable and very energetic/crazy,i liked that they didn't try to make the characters all that likeable,they were the main characters but still,they were criminels and acted like it

I hope for a movie version now that removes that awful censor thought,but overall grats to Danganronpa's creator and to Pierrot,you did good !
Deep dark fantasies
Dec 24, 2020 9:00 AM

Aug 2015
I'm going with 9 out of 10. What a fun ride!
Dec 24, 2020 9:05 AM

Mar 2020
It wasn't as good as it could have been but it was still a good final for a good show.

7/10
check out odd taxi
Dec 24, 2020 9:10 AM
Jun 2019
The visuals for the final episode are truly outstanding. I was surprised when Swindler managed to trick the Kansai people. Good job Studio Pierrot
Dec 24, 2020 9:11 AM
Feb 2016
So there's actually 5 more minutes but they cut it because it exceeds their broadcast time. Need to buy BD tho to see that extra 5 mins. I heard the release is 28/12. Dont know whether its being cut in between or at the end. Source from official twitter
Dec 24, 2020 9:20 AM
Dec 2020
Amazing show. akame ga kill feels ending. But both are amazing.
Dec 24, 2020 9:22 AM
Feb 2016
Again dont know how reliable twitter translation is, but seems like the word completed is in kodaka tweet. He also want to make it a game. Dont know if actually there is a sequel or not. If there is, its better about reviving or seeing the character again, or some more plot twist
Dec 24, 2020 9:33 AM

Sep 2020
I swear I'm speechless, but I'll try.
I couldn't even blink my eyes, lmao.

The music, the scenery, the messages behind, the suffering...
It was like I was watching a movie. It's my favorite type of ending: slow and sad music.

Dude...
I'm crying. Really, I'm crying.
Dec 24, 2020 9:35 AM
Sep 2020
absolutely loved this anime. 10/10 for me, action packed and full of twists and turns to the end. Up there with Great Pretender, Kakushigoto and Tonikawa for anime of the years for me, definitely the anime of the season imo.

Loved the symbolism of Swindler’s death on the cross, and I thought that with exception to dialogue, everything about this anime was perfectly executed. The story was enioyable, action packed and full of plot twists while making sure it made sense.

For what it is, a somewhat mindless show with a lot of action and considerably less substance, it’s outstanding. And where there is substance, it’s executed well.

Love the dystopian symbolism and messaging in the latter half of this anime, and I stand by my statement that every episode was better than the previous one starting with Brawler’s death.

I thought Swindler was incredible in terms of character development, going from a boring, generic character who just so happened to be involved to becoming an Akudama in her own right. Loved her interactions with the kids, especially Imoto.
Dec 24, 2020 9:37 AM
May 2020
Fast and furious all the way.
Yeah could have worked on the plot a bit more but didn't bore me.
Amazing visual style Overall 8/10.

My number 3 for this season.
Dec 24, 2020 9:38 AM
Sep 2020
Harukei_bMaster said:
So there's actually 5 more minutes but they cut it because it exceeds their broadcast time. Need to buy BD tho to see that extra 5 mins. I heard the release is 28/12. Dont know whether its being cut in between or at the end. Source from official twitter
hope the extra five minutes extend the ending sequence, i’m curious to see what it is
Dec 24, 2020 9:43 AM

Nov 2016
If nothing else this was pretty entertaining, albeit a bit too fancy for my taste. I would've preferred something more straight and except for Brawlers death I wasn't really emotionally invested.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 24, 2020 9:43 AM
May 2016
This episode was a masterpiece.

The score, the cinematography, the animation, and the voice acting. All of it gave me chills.

The series itself is a masterpiece by my standards, especially in the second half.

10/10, not because it's perfect, but it is a masterpiece, and in only 12 episodes. Now that's something I don't see every day
Dec 24, 2020 9:50 AM

Aug 2018
My favorite show of Fall 2020 by far. Very original universe, with a bit of Cyberpunk & Blade Runner traits. Decent story but excellent characters whom I enjoyed watching evolve in their own universe. Honestly the number of twists made this show much more interesting than I expected it to be !

Someone said a few weeks ago "Akudama Drive will be an Akame Ga Kill bis" : well this user was right, since every protagonists died. Even after a few episodes, I'll remember their presence, personnality etc. An excellent universe, excellent characters and excellent fight scenes.

The only negative points : lack of information about the background (when does it take place, what happened precisely in the past, etc), it - in my opinion - misses an epilogue or at least some more scenes during the ED/credits, with the fates of the Executioners.

Every episode became better & better, the evolution of both story & characters was truly amazing. I started with episode 1, thinking it could be a nice Suicide Squad thingy, but I ended up with goosebumps & tiny chills, when everyone died.

Farewell Akudama, I will miss you but won't wish for another season. Your stories were concluded and I loved it !
Dec 24, 2020 9:52 AM

Jul 2020
Eh, even though the finale was great visually, I don't think it could save this series. Honestly, this anime had some pretty cool ideas and concepts, but it seems that they could not excute them to the max. It's not that it wasn't fun (because it was fun), but it seems the anime did not know what it wanted to accomplish. I agree with someone here, in that this would have been better using a movie format, cuz I really had a problem getting in with characters.

6/10
Dec 24, 2020 10:00 AM

Jul 2009
In the end every Akudama that died while doing their thing smiled in their last moments.

Brawler smiled after his best fight
Hoodlum smiled standing up for his first time
Hacker smiled finding the ultimate game
Swindler smiled topling the executioners
Courier smiled sending of his package
Even if our opinions differ, you are awesome!
Dec 24, 2020 10:03 AM

Jun 2020
RathZa said:
In the end every Akudama that died while doing their thing smiled in their last moments.

Brawler smiled after his best fight
Hoodlum smiled standing up for his first time
Hacker smiled finding the ultimate game
Swindler smiled topling the executioners
Courier smiled sending of his package

Good observation. I enjoyed this ride, the ending was a bit sad, but the kids finally have their freedom.
Dec 24, 2020 10:11 AM

Apr 2020
Damn what a brilliant ending. Swindler letting herself die and swindle the people by showing the whole Kansai people that The Executioners are the real Akudama. What's funny is that Swindler was finished off by an Executioner by the cemented cross. This episode airs on Christmas Eve so that's why it's really timely for them to do so. And look at that, the people brought a second protest and this time much larger and much fiercer than the first.

Using as an escape, Courier made a tower collapse for them to escape Shikoku. But since he is also running out of life, he then stall the big airships that is chasing down our Immortal Siblings. Also Hacker pulled out a gut punch move and pretty much rekt all of Kansai of its electrical power. And since we don't know what might've happened next, I guess Kansai fell into inevitable anarchy and the remaining Executioners are in hiding for their dear lives.

Onii-chan and Imouto managed to escape after Courier dies on the desert. And wow an open ending, really Pierrot? I was kinda OK with that ending since they showed off that Kanto is pretty much a supercomputer so guessing Shikoku is no brainer for me.

Overall, the show was pretty great in the first half. Dipped so much on the latter half and manages to save itself with a very passable and bombastic ending. I'm between in a 7 or 8 on this, kinda good but almost an original masterpiece. The animation and art was really fantastic yet the story and pacing brought it down.
Dec 24, 2020 10:11 AM

Apr 2017
deg said:
Nix789 said:

Except doctor because she is a b#tch

is she the first evil transgender in anime?

but i forgive her in my fantasy since she is sexy hot lol

She is officially a FEMALE not a trans
https://akudamadrive.fandom.com/wiki/Doctor
Dec 24, 2020 10:14 AM

Dec 2015
Great last episode. I love the voice actress of the "boss". Cool chars, cool action and also the sound/music was nice. That itself is enough for a good 8/10 for me.

On top of that it didn't have annoying moments. So it was a great action show.

Yeah: The plot was interesting in the beginning but started to lack at the end. But that is not so important in action. A lot of other action shows as less well-made.

Kekkai Sensen with "cool" stuff came to my mind - as similar anime - where they seeme to have tried too hard with the plot - making it boring and creating some less interesting chars. (Seems to have a similar score than Akudama Drive though. Different people watched and liked it.)
Dec 24, 2020 10:26 AM

Jul 2015
solidss said:
deg said:

Well, we saw her trying to hit on Curier and getting laid with Hoodlum and nothing implied that any of them are LGBT, so...

Dec 24, 2020 10:26 AM
Sep 2020
solidss said:
deg said:

actually, officially, none of the characters have established genders. The wiki mentions this itself at the bottom

also, trans women are women lol. Being trans and being a woman aren’t mutually exclusive.
Dec 24, 2020 10:37 AM

Aug 2017
In the end, the coin protected whoever had it. I quite liked the ending even though it's an open ending for those kids.

It was an unexpected very good anime. In fact, its very easy for this type of show to be generic or quite forgettable. My only issue with the ending is the Execution Division Apprentice, it sems to me that she didn't have a proper conclusion even though her character development was built during several episodes. I love the Akudama side, they're charismatic, funny and unique.

AOTS. 8/10 for the anime.
NurguburuDec 24, 2020 10:44 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 24, 2020 10:37 AM

Jul 2014
Oh man, I really wanted Swindler and Courier to survive but it is what it is and I'm not even mad about it... and I'm not a fan of bittersweet endings but this one was pretty satisfying.

Swindler finally having her intro was great and of course when the OP started playing... I always love when they do that. RIP, you two, you went out like fucking champs.

The only thing I think they could have done more with was the pupil. I don't know, throughout the show it always seemed like she would do something or be more relevant but in the end she just got stuck on the wrong side.

Funny to think that I almost missed this show and caught up when 5 episodes had already aired and it ended up being one of my favorite shows of this season and one of the best anime of the year, truly an amazing show.
Dec 24, 2020 10:41 AM
Jan 2019
I mean I think episode 11 was the only mistep for me. If you kinda pass over what the hell that was, this was amazing. I feel like maybe that whole thing in episode 11 and the ending could have been expanded by like 3 episodes. But man I liked this so much and it was such a breath of fresh air than many of the standard anime bullshit. I would love to see another show like this and this is easily in my top 10 of the year.
9/10 or an 8 at the lowest.
Dec 24, 2020 10:45 AM

Mar 2017
Ah man, I haven't been hurt by an anime like this in ages. It was a bittersweet ending imo; all the Akudama died but every single one of them had a hand in highlighting that Kansai was corrupt from the top down and that makes their deaths mean something. I'm just so happy that the kids managed to get to a place where they could live normal lives and it's all thanks to Swindler & Courier.

One thing I found really thought-provoking with this anime is the way it showed that crime is not black and white; there are those who do crime because they have to, those who do it because they like it, those who know nothing else and even people who think they're righteous sometimes do evil things. Brilliant anime overall!
Dec 24, 2020 11:01 AM
Oct 2020
I like this because Anime is not cartoon this anime proves bloody sence and a good show. I overall 9
Dec 24, 2020 11:09 AM
Apr 2019
Wonderful episode,

I can't really find any faults with the show other than the excessive black bars. I do wish for a happier ending, but I can't hold that against the show. It could have concluded with more completeness and developed swindler and courier a little more.

9/10
Dec 24, 2020 11:12 AM

Feb 2019
I'm not sure I could say that there was a good way to end this at this point, but I've been surprised before. I was not surprised here, unless you count some profoundly bizarre and horrendous speeches glorifying suicide, and refusing to ever learn, change, or adapt. Of course, it takes one little video from Hackerman to turn the entire city on the police, who are now incapable of even dealing with a dude throwing a molotov. This is also apparently the point of that one whiny cop, to get shockingly shot by a kid. I have no idea if the girl cop learned anything at all. She looked aghast at their propoganda used against them and then just vanished from the episode, along with her boss.

Meanwhile, Knight Rider and kids drove off to… uh, some random bridge somewhere, shot a couple random VTOLs, and then the episode was over. Was the lesson here really sacrifice anybody and anything for your personal ambitions? Did anybody learn anything? Was anything accomplished? Is this bridge to another wasteland? Was the totalitarian society overthrown? Did we just straight up forget that the show was ending this week?

In any case to me in the end this was just another forgettable action show with nonsensical plot.
Dec 24, 2020 11:15 AM

Dec 2014
the ending though.. all of the akudama died.. when swindler got killed ..I was so furious
Dec 24, 2020 11:32 AM

Aug 2020
Some good news if you felt the ending was rushed. I enjoyed it while it lasted. 8/10

https://mobile.twitter.com/RanobeSugoi/status/1342189491692261376
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2020

171 by Salty_Beans »»
Sep 4, 4:24 PM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2020

166 by Salty_Beans »»
Sep 3, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2020

120 by budliteyagami »»
May 13, 12:34 AM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2020

172 by vhowl »»
Apr 21, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2020

154 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.