Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 3, 2020 12:43 PM

Apr 2009
Cutthroat and his seiyuu stole the scene.

In spite of some heavy-handed censorship, the episode was very entertaining. And thankfully it's an original, so there will be a proper ending instead of the usual "this commercial is now over - for further content and a proper wrap-up, please refer to the LN / manga". Maaan, I had expected this show to be good, but not this good. Next Thursday can't come soon enough.

Dec 3, 2020 1:01 PM

Oct 2017
Not been a big fan of the recent episodes. I liked this one though and am enoying swindlers character development.

Dec 3, 2020 1:11 PM

Apr 2015
Hoodlum slept with Doctor, not sure if it's lucky guy or poor soul. I can only imagine the things Doctor would do to you during intercourse... Seems that didn't happen but the scenes if it did.

What an episode! Creepy as fuck and I love the Shining reference done by Cutthroat. Rip Cutthroat, he was a creepy and dangerous guy and was nice to know why he had such an interest in Swindler. To think that "his angel" was actually the one who killed him.
Dec 3, 2020 1:36 PM
Dec 2017
Damn, the insanity of cutthroat was so well done.

Props for the animation and voice-acting.
Dec 3, 2020 1:44 PM
Mar 2020
Cutthroat my baby, please don't be dead, you're too sexy to die ahahaha. No but I hope he isn't actually dead, I would love to see backstories. But goddamnn, Swindler taking out Cutthroat and the refence to the Shining was insane. I love the relationship between Imouto and Swindler too, I can't want to see more of the wholesomeness. And Hacker??? I hope we get to see what happened to him. I'm starting to like Courier more and more.
Dec 3, 2020 2:02 PM

Nov 2009
I....did not see this coming. I thought Cutthroat's obsession with Swindler would continue to be played for laughs, not taken seriously.
Dec 3, 2020 2:04 PM

Aug 2018
Another Akudama down it seems : feels weird to see them disappear or turning backs one after one, considering we've watched them teaming up for half of the show.

Cutthroat made me laugh with a sort of "Here's Johnny" moment haha. Makes a lighter moment in twisted & dark sequence
Dec 3, 2020 2:29 PM
Oct 2017
This was such a thrilling and scary episode. I can’t wait to see what happens next! Hmm... is Cutthroat really dead?
Dec 3, 2020 3:16 PM

Apr 2020
MY CAKE FOR SWINDLER! ノಠ口ಠノ
magosh, Sakurai Takahiro is one of my fav seiyuus, now love him even more! such an unhinged work. despite the censorship, the handling of colors and lights is still impeccable. the animation was great the whole episode, really feel the tension.

imōto saying *killing is bad* and *sister isnt a shit* was so cute lol

i like it when an OP unlocks diferents version. nice new visuals of swindler with her haircut
Dec 3, 2020 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
Now we got Cutthroats true intentions! Man he was nuts, but we loved him for that. RIP Cutthroat:(

Looks like Hoodlum got laid too. Guessing that Doctor is like 200 years old or something and her motives are to find immortality and rule the world. Cliche, but fits her personality. Rabbit and Shark Lesson: Don’t stick your pp in weird shit :D

I loved the sister in this episode. Her copying everything Courier and Swindler said was just too cute man.

Great episode, but I wonder where they are going to go from here. With all the stuff happening like riots, trying to find the brother, Hoodlum helping Doctor, and a lot of other stuff happening in the background, I wonder how they are going to end it in just 3 episodes.
Dec 3, 2020 3:37 PM

Jun 2013
The return of that little propaganda segment and it being cut off mid-way ("When people with power get riled up, nothing good comes from it!") was probably enough of a heads-up for how unsettling this one really was going to be, but it genuinely felt so all the same.

That conscious switch-up from Cutthroat in an attempt to get Swindler to give in was chilling. Good fucking riddance (seemingly).

I hope I'm reading too much into that little thrill Swindler got from seeing the impact she can have on people, by being an Akudama. If not, I'll Pretend I Do Not See It and focus on how adorable Little Sister is & how Courier is just a tad more lenient with her.
Dec 3, 2020 3:44 PM

Apr 2020
After a weak-ass 8th episode, this week brought some of the most thrilling and horrifying scenes of the whole show, thank Cruschness the show bounced back. Doctor & Hoodlum just had an exercise session, and now there's a question about the full identity of the Doctor. Is she old? Is she gay? Who knows, the truth is that she really is crazy about her dream of manipulating immortality.

Swindler, Imouto along with Courier tries to rescue Aniki (Brother) in the Executioners office. Using the chaos outside, they break in the area but Cutthroat stops them along the way his version of blood trail. Cutthroat truly made an "I'm standing on a Million lives" reference as he piles up hundreds of Executioner corpses like a cake, and he finally reveals his goal, TO KILL SWINDLER. A chase from a yandere psycho ensues. But at the end, Swindler made a good trap and stabs Cutthroat to the heart and escapes with Courier. Too bad they're late as Aniki is flown away from the roof.

What a great episode that brought back my love for the show. More action and high-tech action scenes will be expected for the last 3 weeks, the battle is on!
Dec 3, 2020 4:14 PM
Jun 2016
Jeez! I really liked Cutthroat... but I REALLY like the detail they put into this series, they changed Swindler's hair in the op. It would've been really cool if they did something to the characters that were killed off in the op. I really shipped Cutthroat and Swindler though. He was so crazy this episode, he eyes were beautiful though. I'm glad she has new clothes xD not as cute as the first.
Dec 3, 2020 4:14 PM

Jun 2019
The fight with Cutthroat was done well enough. His VA really did a great job portraying him as the psycho he is. Honestly though, I am having more mixed opinions on this anime as it goes on. The executioners turned out to be a lot weaker than they were hyped up to be. How the hell did they even catch Cutthroat the first time? It has also been less focused since they got to the kids. I hope the last 3 episodes can clutch it up.
Dec 3, 2020 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
Cutthroat's psycho love made me scary in various ways. He really wanted to kill ordinary person from his heart because he just like red blood.
I'm glad sister became emotional than before. Full of unexpected developments. I'm looking forward to very last.
Dec 3, 2020 4:27 PM

Jun 2020
spectrojan said:
Welp, Hoodlum's next but I hope he's gonna go down heroically like the Brawler he looked up to

"You're... the best, Bro."
Dec 3, 2020 4:32 PM

Jun 2020
I wish they could uncensored the gore.

That little sister was so cute I wish I have a sister like that, Cutthroat was really crazy on this episode lucky Swindler kill him.
Dec 3, 2020 4:42 PM
Jul 2018
Sinister Episode Cutthroat is a psychopath he practically only thought about killing, I really liked the episode.

Dec 3, 2020 5:36 PM

Sep 2020
Bets on how old the doctor actually is?
I'm thinking she's over 100.
Dec 3, 2020 5:39 PM

Aug 2019
really sucks that there’s so much censoring, also I have a feeling that the doctor’s age isn’t what it seems since she did look a bit older than usual in that one scene
snowykevinDec 3, 2020 5:53 PM
Dec 3, 2020 5:50 PM
Sep 2018
Damn I wonder if cutthroat actually died. Not that he doesn’t deserve it, it’s just that he definitely added a bit of flavor to the series. I. can say for sure that I’m not as into this anime as I was when it first started airing, but i’ll definitely see it to the end based on the fact that there are only 3 episodes left. I honestly have no idea where this anime is going anymore, but I feel like it will probably have a bittersweet ending to say the least. I just hope the best for the child siblings, Courter, Swindler, and Hoodlum. Fuck everyone else aha
Dec 3, 2020 6:15 PM

Jan 2011
gonna be real liked this show best when it was super dumb now that its taking it's self super serious i find it hard to at the same time i just can't get it out of my mind how Cutthroat can kill 100s of people crippled but swindler in her cool moment manages to off him(granted i don't really believe he died yet)

horror part was spooky till they dropped the "Here's Johnny" lol i could not stop laughing and it took me out

this final arc has me in the mix bag feeling i hope it can end off strong just give me the kids and swindler and i guess courier/hoodlum making it out okay and ill be happy but i feel like our bro might die trying to get revenge for Brawler
Dec 3, 2020 6:23 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So Cutthroat is finally brought down after going on a mindless rampage at the Executioner's HQ. That Shinning reference was a nice touch. Despite causing a massive Riot in Kansai, Courier and Swindler failed to reach brother before he was transferred to the bullet train going to Kanto. Doctor's true ambition of playing God is really creepy.
Dec 3, 2020 6:36 PM
Jun 2019
scary and creepy!!!!!!
Dec 3, 2020 6:42 PM

Feb 2017
Swantje said:

I guess the episode is cool on its own and it was definitely creepy, and I loved the Shining reference, but I feel as a whole this show is starting to fall apart.

It fell apart the moment the shinkansen arc ended as soon as episode 4
Dec 3, 2020 6:47 PM
Jun 2017
I've never paid much attention to the op until now, but my God, it is very important. It shows us the demises of all the characters. So far we've got Brawler and Cutthroat, and everything shows the rest will share the same fate, aside from Swindler and Courier. Judging by the epilogue, the next one to die will be Hoodlum. The Op isn't very clear, but he seems to be on all fours over some papers. I suppose we'll have to wait for a week in order to understand what it means. Also, it's nice to see they portrayed Swindler with short hair in the Op.

About the Doctor... is she a she, or is she a he? What s(he) said to Hoodlum hinted that she originally was a man who did surgery on himself in order to become a woman.

So apparently there is now a vigilante crisis, nice. And to think everything started for 500 yen. As a comment I saw on the net said, when a society gets too obsessed with crime and safety so compulsively that even executions are seen as a show and the judgements are just follies with no sense, its only natural that an innocent will get entangled in the brawl sooner or later. However, I stated in a past forum comment that Swindler is no innocent girl. Although she was dragged to this affair against her will and was coerced into action by the explosive collar, she didn't make any attempts to escape and actively collaborated with the Akudama, so she is an accomplice in their crimes. Yes, she did attack the Shinkansen and sabotaged the Executioners activity, and also tampered with an offer to Kanto, but she could be acquitted from that due to the coercion I mentioned earlier. Nonetheless she is still guilty of all the crimes she committed along the Akudama as soon as her collar came off.

But I digress. Anyway, this was a good episode, It was nice to see such a deranged Cutthroat. Pierrot has done a very good job with the animation on this one, and the voice acting was also on point. It's important to point out that the episode bear the titles of films, and I thoroughly enjoyed the The Shining reference in the bathroom.

I would say this is definitely the best episode in the series so far. Swindler has shown that she derserves that name, and has so far killed 4 people (although one could say they were all in self defense). That does show that if you walk through the honey you will undoubtedly have something sticking to you (I don't really now the equivalent of this saying in English)

My, my, they arrived too late and the Brother was taken again. I know they all will probably die, but God do I hope for the Executioners to win in this story. Akudama are criminals, and that's all. They have no redeeming qualities, and so far we haven't been shown that Kanto is the real enemy behind all of this. Insofar there's no reason as to why the Executionaers should't end up being triumphant, from a reasonable standpoint.

On a final note, I wonder why there was some kind of an emphasis on the robot that fell off Swindler's bag and rolled on the floor, same as why was the armory door open. Will Hacker have a return to this story?
Dec 3, 2020 6:55 PM

Jul 2014
My heart! Imouto is so freaking adorable <3. Adorably funny xD.

The doctor just implied that she is old... and not originally a woman? o.O... Also, she is nuts.

RIP Cuthroat? What a spectacular job from his VA. It looks like it's Hoodlum's turn to bite the dust next week.
Dec 3, 2020 7:13 PM
May 2019
This was probably my least favorite episode so far. Cutthroat's death feels pointless, and his insanity has no explanation other than he sees the color red and it makes him go crazy. There was ultimately no story to him so I kinda don't care that he died.
Dec 3, 2020 7:29 PM

Aug 2015
Damn, they went HAM with The Shining references. Loved it! Wasn't expecting this show to go so gruesome - the censorship blacked out half the screen several times.

Cutthroat died doing what he loved... being a crazy bitch. His infatuation with Swindler was bound to take a turn for the terrible.

I wonder what Hacker is up to?
whitherDec 3, 2020 7:32 PM
Dec 3, 2020 7:50 PM

Jan 2013
Damn, everything is out of control, the Akudama, the people rioting and killing each other, what a day! xD

So that was the reason why Cutthroat followed Swindler all the time, he's pretty insane but i hope he's done for good.
Now next episode seems very interesting, finally, they will confront the Doctor, and it seems that Hoodlum is helping her? + the executioners there, it will be epic!

Oh and talking about the doctor, she's crazy lmao, she will end up dying trying.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Dec 3, 2020 9:10 PM
Apr 2020
I actually thought of The Shining when Cutthroat was chasing Swindler and when that reference scene happened I was just laughing to myself lmao what a great episode
Dec 3, 2020 9:10 PM

Aug 2007
I think Cutthroat will be back... He's a staff and fan favorite clearly, and that last panned shot to him didn't seem right. Plus Doctor in the preview at the same building... Hmm. If she figured out enough data from the brother and sister, she may have a way to zombify him lol
Dec 3, 2020 9:34 PM
Nov 2018
Although I really like the developments of Swindler, Sister, and Courier, and I really do like a mentally insane episode from time to time, I just did not understand this episode. Cutthroat is a creepy as fuck killer and his VA put on an amazing performance and I wouldn't have it any other way, but why? Why nine episodes in are we seeing this now? Why are we just now breaking away from this childish side of Cutthroat after not seeing him for nearly two episodes? Why just now does he want to kill Swindler even though this "halo" has been around since they first met? What the fuck even is the halo? I would love to chalk it all up to "Oh he's just a clinically insane character," but I want more than that. Just saying he's insane isn't enough, at least for me, it still leaves so many other questions that probably wont get answered.

Other than that I really enjoyed the rest of the episode, the peoples' uprising is really something spectacular, Doctor's weird ass explanation of whatever... it is was really interesting. Studio Pierrot is actually beginning to impress me. The animation is solid and the writing thus far is really well done.
Inverted666Dec 3, 2020 9:39 PM
Dec 3, 2020 9:39 PM

Feb 2019
Murderface finally take the expected heel-turn, and I was correct in assuming that Pinky Depink-ifying herself would not be it. He just goes crazy for no real reason. We don't get any kind of big action scene or thriller chase out of it or anything like that, unless you count silly faces, silly voices, black blobs of censorship, and nonstop monologuing as horror. And, of course, there's the issue of him effortlessly murdering a zillion trained and armed soldiers by face tanking them, only to get killed by a girl who literally just walks up and stabs him in the gut. No big plan here, or twist, or ingenious scheme. She just grabs a lightsaber, waits for him to walk up to her, and then stabs him. What an exciting scene.
Dec 3, 2020 10:47 PM
Oct 2020
MegamiRem said:
That was absolutely sick, Cutthroat was lit af. Loved the voice acting of cutthroat.

Swindler was great too, she stabbed him right in the middle. Is he dead? I think he ain't.

He's dead.. Look at his status on fandomwiki
Dec 3, 2020 10:52 PM

Feb 2019
I'll just be noting this here for my own future reference: I don't trust Swindler's 'good' intentions, I see a twist coming.
Dec 3, 2020 11:04 PM
Mar 2018
These final moments of cutthroat were intense. Only for of the 7 Akudama left.

Dec 3, 2020 11:32 PM
May 2017
RayReynolds said:
Murderface finally take the expected heel-turn, and I was correct in assuming that Pinky Depink-ifying herself would not be it. He just goes crazy for no real reason. We don't get any kind of big action scene or thriller chase out of it or anything like that, unless you count silly faces, silly voices, black blobs of censorship, and nonstop monologuing as horror. And, of course, there's the issue of him effortlessly murdering a zillion trained and armed soldiers by face tanking them, only to get killed by a girl who literally just walks up and stabs him in the gut. No big plan here, or twist, or ingenious scheme. She just grabs a lightsaber, waits for him to walk up to her, and then stabs him. What an exciting scene.

You expect her to come up with a super well thought out plan in her panic and in the short time she had to come up with it? She hasn't been shown to be a high IQ genius before so why would she be one now?

I agree though that cutthroat went extra crazy out of nowhere. Sure was entertaining to watch though.
Dec 3, 2020 11:38 PM

Dec 2012
WHAT THE FUCK HE WENT FULL PSYCHO

Dec 4, 2020 12:45 AM

Mar 2008
I know others have mentioned it but the censorship made this episode nearly unwatchable. I've never noticed it this bad in the series before. Big yikes.

A shame that Satsujinki went wild like that.
Dec 4, 2020 2:42 AM

Jun 2020
Akudama Drive never fails to disappoint me, this episode was enthralling! Cutthroat going all berserk and trying to kill Swindler.. fucking crazy.
Dec 4, 2020 3:24 AM

Sep 2013
Rip Satsujiki-san,you did nothing wrong :'(
Deep dark fantasies
Dec 4, 2020 3:34 AM

Dec 2020
Swantje said:
puppysho said:
either way, he is a really deep character, it hought of it just being a yandere-ish plain boy.

Not trying to attack you because you're obviously entitled to your own opinion; but I'm curious. Why do you see Cutthroat as a really deep character? I don't see anything beyond him being a serial killer who gets excited by seeing the color red and wants to kill Swindler because of some vague red halo vision? Yeah, maybe it has to do with some neurological condition which would add some depth to his character, but if they never explain the red halo thing, it doesn't really merit this much credit. Also, even if he had a condition, his personality throughout the show was still extremely static and he underwent no character development whatsoever.
I doubt there will be more to his character. Cutthroat was just there in the show to provide safety to Swindler in first few episodes which he did. They aren't gonna any explanations to his red superpower either, I could be wrong though
Dec 4, 2020 4:21 AM

Mar 2015
InsideGrave said:
I doubt there will be more to his character. Cutthroat was just there in the show to provide safety to Swindler in first few episodes which he did. They aren't gonna any explanations to his red superpower either, I could be wrong though

They might be setting up background stuff for a sequel. They spent a decent amount of time doing the whole "red angel" thing, it would be fairly strange if it would just go nowhere.

Or maybe it is just done and done. Don't mind either way as I will view this show as an enjoyable popcorn flick until they try to pay-off all the background setup.
Dec 4, 2020 7:22 AM
Cherry Thighs

Apr 2013
This is why I never understood what people saw in shipping Swindler with Cutthroat. It was a very creepy and one-sided obsession.
Dec 4, 2020 7:49 AM

Mar 2020
TheCeeJayz said:
The little Sister saying Swindler "isn't a shit" was pretty cute lmao.

What a crazy episode. Never seen The Shining, but that reference in the bathroom scene was great. Props to Cutthroat and Swindler's VAs for putting a great performance.

she really giving me nezuko-chan vibe
Dec 4, 2020 8:26 AM

Aug 2018
While this episodes looks great the writing is kind of stupid
_______I like rocks__
Dec 4, 2020 10:11 AM

Aug 2014
A moment ago, I was reminiscing. The civil outbreak very much resembled that one from Psycho Pass (and it helped that both "chiefs" were voiced by same VA too). Next thing, I was laughing. I just realized "the shit" language had become an integral part of Courier's charisma and appeal, and listening to him adhering to it, while being told off by an innocent child as "shit guy" (and it helped it's the same VA from cautious hero, adhering both to cautiousness and shit language against all odds, definitely same vibes) is such a LOL, indeed.

It shifted to a bit of philosophical and romantic (both literal and connotative) with Hoodlum and Doctor's conversation/interaction. The "doctor" and "playing with lives" route can be considered a very usual trope in anime to portray as a vice, though interestingly, "control" as a term was sparingly used before. It could be that Doctor wanted to convey something else, but the subbing team simply referred to it as wanting control over immortality. What should make Doctor a bit more interesting, is not the theory behind her actions or values, but rather the resolution that will come through it, and the final confrontation that will result from her ideation of such thing, as it's rather predictable that such tropes will seldom to never succeed at all.

Then it turned horror/thriller with a sprinkle of action, courtesy of the one-and-only Cutthroat. The visual imagery for red halo, whether on the realm of phenomenological experience or supernatural receptivity, was personally the most terrifying one for me. Yes, more than that infamous eye-in-the-hole scene everyone was raving about, or the complementary feedback (scream, specifically) from Swindler on the former. The red halo was beyond horrifying, partly because you probably don't know what to truly make out of it. Even though one can easily dismiss it as a metaphorical allusion exclusive for mentally-ill/psychotic people and the likes, the execution was rightfully disturbing, nevertheless. It's not shown from the perspective of a "moving" scene nor of a live setting, indicating a more fictitious experience (as the default response from an audience would likely be "yeah what can you expect from an anime, no logic just magic" which heavily subdues what can be made as conceptual fear) while a panoramic depiction of a massively, towering red halo, which somehow matches someone's mental constitution, against a grayscaled surrounding with a "fuzzy" texture of past images - it's mystifying and at the same time, scary. Although it might only be me, or with a few minority, it should have the same intensity as that of shows with religion/"spirituality" as one of its central themes (admittedly, Chrno Crusade for anime is the one that I currently have in mind). Though of course, Akudama Drive wasn't aiming for that inception at all, just that it happened to slip its way in, and the timing was just perfect, so it left quite an impression, at least to me.

What a crazy ride. Not many shows (or an episode, to be quite exact) can do this "cram-it-all-stuff" while the audience is still left with a feeling of wholesomeness instead of mild pretentiousness.
Dec 4, 2020 12:12 PM

May 2016
There goes my fav character to ruins... man can't we have an ending where he helps
swindler instead of trying to kill her, last week when I saw the title I instantly knew
shit gonna happen and Cutthroat goes berserk.

Doc is having sex with Hoodlum in a 5 star hotel and she claims to want to control death what a maniac and she claims to be a lot more older than she looks kinda feeling bad for the people in the forums simping for her lol, and of course Hoodlum just did it with a baba.
Dec 4, 2020 12:45 PM

Jul 2013
Shout-out to Swindler's and Cutthroat's voice actors is all I can say at the moment. It wasn't flawless, but it was a truly action packed-episode.

I really hope all of this has some kind of point and that the show won't abruptly end when the siblings reunite because, what then?
Kodaka is clearly going to kill off all of the Akudama which is in his style but Swindler can't take care about both brother and sister forever, nor can they live alone when they are wanted. Also, I wonder will she die in the end as well... Even if it ends up an Kill 'Em All ending it would still be fitting (I guess?), but if this show wants to represent any kind of symbolism throughout it's story, the siblings should find happiness in some shape or form until the end.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2020

171 by Salty_Beans »»
Sep 4, 4:24 PM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2020

166 by Salty_Beans »»
Sep 3, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2020

356 by SenpaiTM »»
Aug 16, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2020

120 by budliteyagami »»
May 13, 12:34 AM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2020

154 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.