Forum Settings
Forums

What's the biggest asspull in anime history?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 1, 2019 4:04 PM

Jul 2015
Superns18 said:
@shotto not only was it an asspull, but it also was such typical trigger/gainax that it just was laughable.

@Gythia, any specifics or examples? Never seen it

Erza, one of the main characters used a armor called the "Nakagami Armor" which could cancel out any magic and cut through space itself. The armor had no proper build up or any reference prior to it being used. To make things worse, the explanation we were given is "Because she's erza"......It was so bad no one could laugh at it by the "it's so bad it's good" comments.
Nov 1, 2019 4:14 PM

May 2014
monkeyDberzerk said:
Orion_Gospel said:
Every One Piece arc, especially after the

Any examples? The only major asspull I've seen so far is Snakeman and even that's explainable to an extent.

How is that even an asspull in the first place?

When Gear 4th was first revealed, for the first time it had an extra name (sub-name) — Gear 4th: Boundman. This is unlike Gear 2nd & Gear 3rd.

Clearly Oda was foreshadowing that there are other variants of Gear 4th, so Gear 4th: Snakeman existing is not an asspull in any way.
S-MazokuNov 1, 2019 4:35 PM
Nov 1, 2019 4:17 PM
May 2019
Dragon Ball Super is full of them so much so that I could probably spend hours writing walls of text and still not list them all.
Nov 1, 2019 4:20 PM

May 2014
Esquirtit said:
WrngHoleOniiChan said:
Scroll up, it's been explained. He did, however Alluka's existence has wiped every negative effect besides the fact that he cannot use nen YET, if you remember Ging's words

edit: jesus fucking christ, stop @ me and read whats above
Jyoshiro said:
I agree. With nen laws you can make conditions to gain power. And Gon makes the biggest giving up his nen and basically life altogether. Now introducing Nanika all of a sudden who can completely heal him is a huge asspull although I don't mind totally cuz Gon is back lol.
Asaeed said:
For Hunter x Hunter, the transformation wasn't the asspull, it's how he was healed afterwards
monkeyDberzerk said:
I wouldn't call Hunter Gon an asspull because it obeys nen laws. Nanika on the other hand is one huge asspull.

You're all wrong, remember the healing capabilities of Nen showcased in the Heavens Arena and Greed Island arcs? Objectively not an asspull, and the manga further explains what the deal is with Nanika.

edit: Lmao, how do I even forget Pitou and her insane healing ability

While Alluka as a character was foreshadowed in the Zoldyck Arc, her abilities were not at all. They were also conveniently introduced right after Gon was on the verge of death.
That constitutes an asspull.

Context for non-fans of HxH, this is what happened:

Gon was forced to give up his nen in order to transform into this being that’s able to defeat Pitou, after which he falls into a coma and his entire body is destroyed.

Then, in the next arc, out of nowhere Alluka is introduced and we learn she is possessed by “Nanika”, her alter ego that has the ability to grant the wish of anybody at the cost of something else. Sort of like the Dragon Ball concept.
However, Gon’s friend Killua is Alluka’s brother, and she makes it so that he conveniently is the only person that doesn’t suffer these consequences from making a wish.
So Killua wishes for Nanika to “revive” Gon, which comes at no cost due to him alone being exempt from the consequences.

Don’t tell me this doesn’t constitute an asspull.
S-MazokuNov 1, 2019 4:29 PM
Nov 1, 2019 4:32 PM

Sep 2019
Choujin Koukousei-tachi wa Isekai demo Yoyuu de Ikinuku you desu!
(High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even in Another World)

All of it.
Nov 1, 2019 5:03 PM

Mar 2018
S-Mazoku said:
While Alluka as a character was foreshadowed in the Zoldyck Arc, her abilities were not at all. They were also conveniently introduced right after Gon was on the verge of death.

Gon was forced to give up his nen in order to transform into this being that’s able to defeat Pitou, after which he falls into a coma and his entire body is destroyed.

Then, in the next arc, out of nowhere Alluka is introduced and we learn she is possessed by “Nanika”, her alter ego that has the ability to grant the wish of anybody at the cost of something else. Sort of like the Dragon Ball concept.
However, Gon’s friend Killua is Alluka’s brother, and she makes it so that he conveniently is the only person that doesn’t suffer these consequences from making a wish.
So Killua wishes for Nanika to “revive” Gon, which comes at no cost due to him alone being exempt from the consequences.

Nice try but you didn't say anything new. What you said is still basically 'it's an asspull because she healed Gon and her character's abilities weren't introduced before'.

Now here's why that's objectively not an asspull looking at it holistically. I'll keep it short because you've seen HxH

> exposition about Ging in HA arc, explains much of the world isn't explored yet, in other words the boundaries of Nen power aren't known yet, so are different species

> like I said in my first post we've seen crazy healing abilities before, in GI arc it was literally a card that can fulfill wishes, all still according to Nen rules established before

> CA arc introduces new species, their original whereabouts unknown.

> Next arc introduces Nanika, a creature that possed Alluka Zoldyck, its origins from the Dark Continent (same as the chimera ants) which the anime never covered but has always been foreshadowed earlier so no asspulls can be found here sorry.
poop
Nov 1, 2019 5:51 PM

Sep 2018
That one hentai where the MC pulled a huge tube out of her ass.
Nov 1, 2019 6:21 PM

Oct 2010
Water-sama said:
Demon Slayer. Zenitsu fights. Makes the coward character that doesn't fight, pass out and start killing Demons. Demon is dead, He comes back to his senses. Oh snap, Who did that?

Demon Slayer. Fights the Ghost of a Kid for a few months thinking he's fighting a real boy as training. Nope, its just a Rock. How do you have a sword fight with a Ghost?

It's okay to not put your suspension of disbelief in the same level the show wants you to, but none of these is an asspull...

None of them solve something out of their asses, Tanjiro goes through a damn lot of training anyway, Zenitsu's ability actually explains why he ended up a demon slayer for starters, explains his personality and his lack of self-confidence not matching his supposed strength. The first could be very easily read and interpreted as an embodiment of Tanjiro's will and strength. The second is a reveal, like when any other character reveals their power.
Nov 1, 2019 6:54 PM

May 2014
S
Esquirtit said:
S-Mazoku said:

Nice try but you didn't say anything new. What you said is still basically 'it's an asspull because she healed Gon and her character's abilities weren't introduced before'.

Now here's why that's objectively not an asspull looking at it holistically. I'll keep it short because you've seen HxH

> exposition about Ging in HA arc, explains much of the world isn't explored yet, in other words the boundaries of Nen power aren't known yet, so are different species

> like I said in my first post we've seen crazy healing abilities before, in GI arc it was literally a card that can fulfill wishes, all still according to Nen rules established before

> Next arc introduces Nanika, a creature that possed Alluka Zoldyck, its origins from the Dark Continent (same as the chimera ants) which the anime never covered but has always been foreshadowed earlier so no asspulls can be found here sorry.

It would've been less of an asspull if the Dark Continent was mentioned before the reveal of Alluka's abilities, but this is not the case, the Dark Continent was literally introduced in the last episode (148) whilst Alluka's abilities were introduced in episode 138/139.

Just because Togashi later on implicitly 'linked' Alluka to the Dark Continent, it doesn't make it any less of an asspull because this linkage was only suggested after the Dark Continent was introduced, which itself was introduced 10 episodes (16 chapters) after Alluka's wish-granting abilities were introduced.

If anything, it makes Togashi look like a bad writer since it implies the sole reason he extended HxH by introducing the Dark Continent was to retcon the Nanika asspull.
Of course I don't think this, but he could've foreshadowed the Dark Continent much better since before the last episode of the anime, there was zero foreshadowing that such a place existed.

Verdict: Alluka's healing abilities are still an asspull no matter what way you look at it.
S-MazokuNov 1, 2019 7:20 PM
Nov 1, 2019 7:23 PM

Nov 2011
S-Mazoku said:
S
Esquirtit said:

It would've been less of an asspull if the Dark Continent was mentioned before the reveal of Alluka's abilities, but this is not the case, the Dark Continent was literally introduced in the last episode (148) whilst Alluka's abilities were introduced in episode 138/139.

Just because Togashi later on implicitly 'linked' Alluka to the Dark Continent, it doesn't make it any less of an asspull because this linkage was only after the Dark Continent was introduced, which itself was introduced 10 episodes (16 chapters) after Alluka's 'grant your wise' abilities were introduced.

If anything, it makes Togashi look like a bad writer since it implies the sole reason he extended HxH by introducing the Dark Continent was to retcon the Nanika asspull.
Of course I don't think this, but he could've foreshadowed the Dark Continent much better as before the last episode of the anime, there was zero foreshadowing that such a place existed.

Verdict: Alluka's healing abilities are still an asspull no matter what way you look at it.

Chimera Ants can be classified as a foreshadowing of outer world actually, especially if you consider the position of NGL in the map. Anyway there is no way an author kill a MC without preparing a way to retcon it. Nanika is not an aspull I think, although he is for sure a deus ex machina.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 1, 2019 7:52 PM

Aug 2018
Basically the ending to darling in the franxx, its so confusing and doesnt make any sense to the point its remembered as a meme, without spoiling anything im pretty sure you all know what im talking about.

But what makes it weirder is how the show itself went really well before that weird ending, so it kinda feels like you "ruined" a really good show
Nov 1, 2019 7:57 PM

Mar 2018
S-Mazoku said:

Just because Togashi later on implicitly 'linked' Alluka to the Dark Continent, it doesn't make it any less of an asspull because this linkage was only suggested after the Dark Continent was introduced, which itself was introduced 10 episodes (16 chapters) after Alluka's wish-granting abilities were introduced.

Of course I don't think this, but he could've foreshadowed the Dark Continent much better since before the last episode of the anime, there was zero foreshadowing that such a place existed.

I literally just gave multiple evidences of foreshadowing. THE WHOLE CHIMERA ANT ARC IS CAUSED BY THE DARK CONTINENT. Ging saying that much of the world isn't explored is foreshadowing to a later introduction of bigger things. Healing abilities always existed. Not an asspull!

jal90 said:
Water-sama said:
Demon Slayer. Zenitsu fights. Makes the coward character that doesn't fight, pass out and start killing Demons. Demon is dead, He comes back to his senses. Oh snap, Who did that?

Demon Slayer. Fights the Ghost of a Kid for a few months thinking he's fighting a real boy as training. Nope, its just a Rock. How do you have a sword fight with a Ghost?

It's okay to not put your suspension of disbelief in the same level the show wants you to, but none of these is an asspull...

None of them solve something out of their asses, Tanjiro goes through a damn lot of training anyway, Zenitsu's ability actually explains why he ended up a demon slayer for starters, explains his personality and his lack of self-confidence not matching his supposed strength. The first could be very easily read and interpreted as an embodiment of Tanjiro's will and strength. The second is a reveal, like when any other character reveals their power.

All of the supposed asspulls in Demon Slayer are similar to he HxH issues. I call them 'light' asspulls, they are kinda bs and appear contrived to people who aren't invested in the story, but they're not actual asspulls
poop
Nov 1, 2019 7:59 PM
May 2017
If you made a top 5 list Fairy Tail would be in at least three spots.

S-Mazoku said:
Not really. Gon's Nen condition was to use up his nen entirely, to never use it again, and that's still gone. Gon is now an ordinary person.

The narrative payoff is still preserved. Gon just didn't die of his injuries because he blew up his own jajanken. Something that arguably didn't need to happen, but did. You're being too nitpicky here.
TaifoodNov 1, 2019 8:03 PM
Nov 1, 2019 8:20 PM

May 2014
Esquirtit said:
S-Mazoku said:

I literally just gave multiple evidences of foreshadowing. THE WHOLE CHIMERA ANT ARC IS CAUSED BY THE DARK CONTINENT. Ging saying that much of the world isn't explored is foreshadowing to a later introduction of bigger things. Healing abilities always existed. Not an asspull!

jal90 said:

All of the supposed asspulls in Demon Slayer are similar to he HxH issues. I call them 'light' asspulls, they are kinda bs and appear contrived to people who aren't invested in the story, but they're not actual asspulls

None of what you said is foreshadowing, it’s just the mangaka going back and linking things to current developments/concepts.

Foreshadowing is when something is hinted at beforehand.
Just because the origins of the Chimera Ant were “unknown”, it doesn’t mean they were meant to come from the Dark Continent.
That’s too vague to constitute foreshadowing.
This also applies to the argument that NGL being at the border of the world map is foreshadowing.

The mangaka Togashi just linked the later-introduced Dark Continent to the Chimera Ants’ unknown origin.
S-MazokuNov 1, 2019 8:32 PM
Nov 1, 2019 8:33 PM

Oct 2013
I think there's an episode of Keijo where one of the girls literally pulled cards out of her ass. Does that count?
Nov 1, 2019 8:59 PM
Mar 2016
Yu Yu Hakusho

Nov 1, 2019 9:09 PM

Mar 2018
@S-Mazoku Yeah yeah in all your replies you conveniently leave out my other evidence. Ging exposition and scene inbetween the Heavens Arena arc and York New arc. Two episode subplot, Gon and Killua travelling back to Gon's hometown after passing the hunter exam.

just admit defeat already

search it yourself with english subs, couldn't find it on yt
poop
Nov 1, 2019 9:27 PM

Jul 2019
shadowblaster5 said:
Yu Yu Hakusho

Was gonna say this!
A lot (80%) of the fights in the series have some random shit that comes out of nowhere with no build-up or foreshadowing just to suddenly make our protagonists win, altough plausible within the anime's world.
Nov 1, 2019 10:30 PM

Sep 2019
Off the top of my head I can only think of these.

Yu Yu Hakusho
Though I honestly like this asspull

Mai Hime

Heroic Age

Char's Counterattack

Slayers
Nov 1, 2019 10:40 PM

Sep 2018
The end of JoJo Part 2. I love Part 2, but

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Nov 1, 2019 10:44 PM
Feb 2019
When kirito hacked the AOL In his battle between him in and the rapist idk if it's hack or something because Kayaba showed up and bull craps it didn't made any sense
Nov 1, 2019 11:51 PM

May 2014
Esquirtit said:
@S-Mazoku Yeah yeah in all your replies you conveniently leave out my other evidence. Ging exposition and scene inbetween the Heavens Arena arc and York New arc. Two episode subplot, Gon and Killua travelling back to Gon's hometown after passing the hunter exam.

just admit defeat already

search it yourself with english subs, couldn't find it on yt

Admit you’re a fanboy, that’s a better one.

That scene could’ve been any Island in Hunter x Hunter.
There’s zero indication it must be the Dark Continent.

Not even HxH wikia agrees with what you’re saying:
https://hunterxhunter.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Continent

If you didn’t conveniently ignore my previous post you’d have understood that foreshadowing doesn’t apply to vague events.
S-MazokuNov 1, 2019 11:57 PM
Nov 2, 2019 2:25 AM
Jul 2017
S-Mazoku said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

Any examples? The only major asspull I've seen so far is Snakeman and even that's explainable to an extent.

When Gear 4th was first revealed, for the first time it had an extra name (sub-name) — Gear 4th: Boundman. This is unlike Gear 2nd & Gear 3rd.

Clearly Oda was foreshadowing that there are other variants of Gear 4th, so Gear 4th: Snakeman existing is not an asspull in any way.

The fact that it wasn't used before Luffy's fight against Katakuri is considered to be an asspull by some people, but it really isn't, because none of his previous opponents had foresight. I don't consider it to be an asspull, some people in the fandom do.

twoego said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

I'd say Snakeman is pretty easy to explain, and is not an asspull. It's not necessarily Luffy's "strongest form," it's the fastest one, and since speed wasn't the most vital thing when fighting against his previous opponents...he didn't use it. That's quite the opposite from his fight against Katakuri however, the only way to fight the man was to top his observation haki by making him unable to avoid the attacks (and that actually didn't even work out, Katakuri was still able to top Luffy). People seem to forget that Oda has everything planned out already, dozens of things foreshadowed hundreds of chapters ago, yet when he actually decides to make a "surprise," people seem to be awfully Judgmental.

I agree with everything you've said and that's reason why I stated that it's explainable (maybe I should've worded it in a different way), but a lot of people cobsiser it to be a plot hole because it wasn't revealed or hinted before, even though it was hinted by the name 'boundman' (which implies that other forms do exist.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperNov 9, 2019 8:13 AM
Nov 2, 2019 2:38 AM
May 2018
@Tap_Dancin_Kaiju : About Mai HIME: I always figured the hit was simply not strong enough. Kagutsuchi is the God of Fire, and is often mentionned as the most powerful creature in this anime.

But the very end of this series, THAT was a definite asspull xD!
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Nov 2, 2019 2:48 AM

Jan 2019
This character is a coward and doesn't fight. Make him go unconscious and kill Demons whenever the writer needs him to. That's an asspull and it has happened multiple times.

Boy with broken bones constantly jumping around bouncing of walls and spinning around yup he kills the Demons... Thats an asspull.

Nov 2, 2019 3:36 AM

Oct 2010
Water-sama said:
This character is a coward and doesn't fight. Make him go unconscious and kill Demons whenever the writer needs him to. That's an asspull and it has happened multiple times.

Boy with broken bones constantly jumping around bouncing of walls and spinning around yup he kills the Demons... Thats an asspull.

What are you talking about? What convenience are you talking about? Being strong and determined is not an asspull. Having a specific skill is not an asspull. You are not even trying to prove your point. You are just saying "oh how convenient" to basic storytelling.

@twoego @monkeyDberzerk The reason why I don't consider Snakeman an asspull is because it's an established aspect of Luffy's personality to develop techniques while in combat. And it's actually something tied to a consistent logic in the show. If you read the manga

I admit it can sound lazy and convenient, but it's tied to something that has proved consistent in the show. Perhaps my definition of an asspull is more strict and other people can definitely point it out, but...
jal90Nov 2, 2019 3:49 AM
Nov 2, 2019 3:57 AM
Jul 2017
Esquirtit said:
WrngHoleOniiChan said:
Scroll up, it's been explained. He did, however Alluka's existence has wiped every negative effect besides the fact that he cannot use nen YET, if you remember Ging's words

edit: jesus fucking christ, stop @ me and read whats above
Jyoshiro said:
I agree. With nen laws you can make conditions to gain power. And Gon makes the biggest giving up his nen and basically life altogether. Now introducing Nanika all of a sudden who can completely heal him is a huge asspull although I don't mind totally cuz Gon is back lol.
Asaeed said:
For Hunter x Hunter, the transformation wasn't the asspull, it's how he was healed afterwards
monkeyDberzerk said:
I wouldn't call Hunter Gon an asspull because it obeys nen laws. Nanika on the other hand is one huge asspull.

You're all wrong, remember the healing capabilities of Nen showcased in the Heavens Arena and Greed Island arcs? Objectively not an asspull, and the manga further explains what the deal is with Nanika.

edit: Lmao, how do I even forget Pitou and her insane healing ability

HUNTER X HUNTER SPOILERS AHEAD

Although nen does have healing capabilities, it doesn't justify powers as broken as Nanika/Ai. Its ability is to grant practically any wish with no repercussions and isn't bound by any limitation.

And Ai being a dark continent calamity doesn't justify it's limitless powers and the fact that it doesn't obey any nen laws.

jal90 said:
Water-sama said:

What are you talking about? What convenience are you talking about? Being strong and determined is not an asspull. Having a specific skill is not an asspull. You are not even trying to prove your point. You are just saying "oh how convenient" to basic storytelling.

@twoego @monkeyDberzerk The reason why I don't consider Snakeman an asspull is because it's an established aspect of Luffy's personality to develop techniques while in combat. And it's actually something tied to a consistent logic in the show. If you read the manga

I admit it can sound lazy and convenient, but it's tied to something that has proved consistent in the show. Perhaps my definition of an asspull is more strict and other people can definitely point it out, but...

I should have worded my comment in a different way, because I don't consider snakeman to be a plot hole because none of the antagonists Luffy faced before Katakuri had foresight therefore it's delayed reveal is justified (reason why I said it's explainable). However a lot of other people in the fandom consider it to be a plot hole.

FancyjasperNov 9, 2019 8:14 AM
Nov 2, 2019 5:36 AM

Mar 2018
@S-Mazoku Yes I am a filthy fanboy. You can't nitpick what is and isn't foreshadowing. Also I never said that scene with Ging took place on the Dark Continent. It's just like GI an unexplored island, implying there's much more.

@monkeyDberzerk Nen is just life force in HxH, any living thing has it. In Yorknew there was a girl who could foretell the future but didn't know anything about Nen.

Also no repercussions?? I'm pretty sure there were... except with Killua's wish that indeed is kinda BS but not an asspull when Nen as a concept is fluid and we've seen examples of that throughout the series
poop
Nov 2, 2019 6:12 AM

Aug 2018
1 - 101: Every fight in Fairy Tail. (FT takes the top 100 by itself... and a bit more too)

102: 1000000% in BnHA.

103 - 110: Some fight and weird stuff in SAO.

But yeah, battle shounens are the most ass pullers animes. Despite that, FT can't be compared to anyone.
Nov 2, 2019 6:39 AM

Jan 2018
theDEMYSTIFier said:
I loved the Gantz manga until the Osaka Arc. But sadly after that, it went downhill.

In anime, I guess it was Darling in the FranXX. Trigger just keeps ripping off Gurren Lagann.

Trigger was only responsible for animation
What a beautiful Duwang
Nov 2, 2019 9:00 AM

May 2014
monkeyDberzerk said:
S-Mazoku said:

The fact that it wasn't used before Luffy's fight against Katakuri is considered to be an asspull by some people, but it really isn't, because none of his previous opponents had foresight. I don't consider it to be an asspull, some people in the fandom do.

Then the minority of readers don’t pay attention.

The form was efficient against Katakuri precisely because it utilised the Advanced Future Sight Observation Haki that Luffy learnt from fighting Katakuri prior to using Gear 4th: Snake Man

He needed to train his Observation Haki by fighting against Katakuri in his normal form so that when he used Snakeman, he would be able to use Future Sight to track the location of Katakuri to quickly hit him.

If anything is an asspull in One Piece, it’s Gear 2nd.
But nobody calls it that because prior to first using it, it was already established that Luffy comes up with techniques on the spot when he sees something cool — eg, when Luffy saw a pinwheel hat in Arlong Park, he got excited and thought of a new technique which he used later on.
Yes, he was inspired to create the Gear 2nd technique by seeing CP9 agents using Soru.
But still, it could’ve been foreshadowed better.
Nov 2, 2019 10:24 AM

Dec 2013
I came here expecting Fairy Tail and SAO and I was not disappointed.
Nov 2, 2019 6:21 PM
Jan 2012
S-Mazoku said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

The form was efficient against Katakuri precisely because it utilised the Advanced Future Sight Observation Haki that Luffy learnt from fighting Katakuri prior to using Gear 4th: Snake Man

He needed to train his Observation Haki by fighting against Katakuri in his normal form so that when he used Snakeman, he would be able to use Future Sight to track the location of Katakuri to quickly hit him.

But nobody calls it that because prior to first using it, it was already established that Luffy comes up with techniques on the spot when he sees something cool — eg, when Luffy saw a pinwheel hat in Arlong Park, he got excited and thought of a new technique which he used later on.
Yes, he was inspired to create the Gear 2nd technique by seeing CP9 agents using Soru.

I agree, it made a lot of sense for Luffy to use snakeman for the first time during that battle. It seems like luffy had only thought about it, never actually used it effectively till this point. He needed the advanced observation to calculate his arm's motion. It made sense for him to start developing it during his training, since rayleigh mentioned future sight to him. I don't call it an asspull.

Nov 2, 2019 6:45 PM

Apr 2014
initial d season 4 when

not stonks
Nov 2, 2019 6:55 PM

Nov 2014
It's been a while since I watched them but:
Little Busters Refrain and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Nov 2, 2019 6:59 PM
Jul 2018
The climax of Jojo Part 2. It was absolute bullshit, and I LOVED it, laughing my ass off the whole way through. I didn't think it was a flaw, though, considering how goofy and over the top Jojo is.
Nov 2, 2019 8:14 PM
Jan 2019

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
FancyjasperNov 3, 2019 7:45 AM
Nov 2, 2019 8:31 PM

Aug 2015
DaCraziGuy said:

One Million Percent does not exist. Horikoshi established that Deku shouted that just to pump/encourage himself in order to "Go Further Beyond" and save Kota, but it was just a 100% Detroit Smash. Deku would have literally pulverized his arm if he used something over 100% (only All Might could do that in his fight against Nomu for a moment).

----------------------------------------------

People are starting to put plot holes or plot conveniences, those are not asspulls. An asspull is something completely outta nowhere that the author came up to solve an issue, so they are worse than a plot hole.

By the way, there is quite a lot of spoilers about HxH. Please use the spoiler tag, since there is a lot of manga stuff over here.

Finally, I came up with an asspull even worse that the one I mentioned before: Izanami.
Nov 2, 2019 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
lapontantot said:
Attack on Titan

How armin survived after burned and fall from 50+m heights

and Erwin survived after got biten by a titan

Reiner survived after his neck sliced by levi and his head blown off by scouts yet still alive lmao

These are more plot armor than asspulls. A person with titan abilities can move their consciousness from their brain to other parts of their body. Reiner did that, at least the time he was decapitated.

As for myself I really want to say Dr. Stone.

removed-userNov 2, 2019 8:54 PM
Nov 2, 2019 8:57 PM

Jan 2013
Fairy Tale! Nuff said. It's been explained why really well in this thread. If there was a definition for the word asspull it would be: see Fairy Tail. I actually think Fairy Tale is latin for asspull.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2019 12:01 AM

Jan 2010
Everyone mentioning Fairy Tail and even as a fan, it's actually true lol.
Especially with Erza and Natsu.
Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it though. It's one of my most favorite anime. Idk but despite knowing the flaws, there is just something about it that made me forgive everything else. I guess it's the story itself, rather than how everyone wins or loses.
Nov 3, 2019 12:06 AM

Jun 2016
without completing it Im gonna say Fairy Tail because thats what I heard.
Nov 3, 2019 1:08 AM

Jun 2019
Bungou Stray Dogs is full of them and why it's hard for me to care about that series now. You know that no main character is actually in danger at any time because some miraculous bullshit will happen.
Nov 3, 2019 3:18 AM

Feb 2019
Kuroko-chan said:
lavah said:
Reminds me of sword art online, how asuna didn't die

Ikr? If I remember correctly everyone who dies in the game dies irl as well, but Asuna didn't. I was glad that she didn't die tho.

Yea, they claimed it was like some overwrite at the last second which helped her? Also since the guy who made the game was there he was able to control some shit.

Water-sama said:
The weird Black Stone crap that encases them all was actually some sort of Miracle healing crap. Senku had it on his neck. The guy broke Senku's neck. Senku healed with it. The guy thought he killed Senku when he hit him, but he never even killed him. It was assumed that he killed him.

I can't remember what episode number it tells about the Miracle crap but yeah. Whatever entity that encased Humanity in that crap, actually gave Humanity some sort of super healing concoction.

Dr.Stone? That one isn't an asspull though as it's explained thoroughly. I'm assuming you haven't read the manga

deg said:
Water-sama said:
@deg
Plot Twist is when something very unexpected happens. Say for instance a woman that looks very young hits on a character. He thinks she a child. Plot twist, She's actually a 1000 year old Goddess.

AssPull is when the author saves a character with some great power or determination with no justification at all and cant possibly even make sense.

ye by that definition the
of darling in the franxx is not an asspull

it is in asspull though. It's cheap and really didn't fit the overall tone of the series, there was no logical explanation other than Trigger being Trigger.

deg said:
whats the difference between plot twist and asspull? because some of this responses make me question this especially with Darling in the FranXX

plot is a logically flowing chain of events where everything that occurs has a legitimate and coherent explanation in keeping with the overall tone and elements of the series. Someone dying and coming back to life in DBZ is not an asspull. Someone dying and coming back in Violet Evergarden is.

Nov 3, 2019 3:22 AM

Feb 2019
Chiibi said:
Boomer_Content said:
anime itself was the biggest asspull that mankind has achieved by far. to this day it keeps decieving people into thinking its actually good.

If you don't think any of it's good, why are you here?

this might be the biggest bruh moment ever tbh, lol.
Shicchi said:
Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it though. It's one of my most favorite anime. Idk but despite knowing the flaws, there is just something about it that made me forgive everything else. I guess it's the story itself, rather than how everyone wins or loses.

don't misunderstand, you can enjoy series with asspulls. Most of my top 5 have huge ones. It's just a matter of how big those particular ones are for you.

lapontantot said:
Attack on Titan

Reiner survived after his neck sliced by levi and his head blown off by scouts yet still alive lmao

and for the latest ch, eren got an overpowered time travel ability which is a total bullshit from all anime history

PATHS is the answer to all of your issues.

NthDegree said:

any thread that criticises anime will have those two, it's a given.

Jus1294 said:
theDEMYSTIFier said:
I loved the Gantz manga until the Osaka Arc. But sadly after that, it went downhill.

In anime, I guess it was Darling in the FranXX. Trigger just keeps ripping off Gurren Lagann.

No, they also helped write. To specify on your original post though, Trigger did the fight scenes, not ALL the animation. CloverWorks did the standard animation scenes.

Nov 3, 2019 3:26 AM

Jan 2019
Episode 19 of D-
*gets sniped*

I'd say most of Dr. Stone tbh
Nov 3, 2019 3:46 AM
Jan 2018
Deduleadaa said:
Jojo part 3

That is nothin compared to how
Nov 3, 2019 4:19 AM

Jan 2018
Superns18 said:
Chiibi said:

If you don't think any of it's good, why are you here?

this might be the biggest bruh moment ever tbh, lol.
Shicchi said:

don't misunderstand, you can enjoy series with asspulls. Most of my top 5 have huge ones. It's just a matter of how big those particular ones are for you.

lapontantot said:
Attack on Titan

and for the latest ch, eren got an overpowered time travel ability which is a total bullshit from all anime history

PATHS is the answer to all of your issues.

NthDegree said:

any thread that criticises anime will have those two, it's a given.

Jus1294 said:

No, they also helped write. To specify on your original post though, Trigger did the fight scenes, not ALL the animation. CloverWorks did the standard animation scenes.

If they did, it's nothing substantial at all to where Trigger should be the one receiving the flak over it. Neither of the head writers are currently working under Trigger.
What a beautiful Duwang
Nov 3, 2019 6:39 AM

Aug 2018
Pakumen- said:
DaCraziGuy said:

One Million Percent does not exist. Horikoshi established that Deku shouted that just to pump/encourage himself in order to "Go Further Beyond" and save Kota, but it was just a 100% Detroit Smash. Deku would have literally pulverized his arm if he used something over 100% (only All Might could do that in his fight against Nomu for a moment).

1 - I already knew that the author "explained" himself, having to do that is bad writting.
2 - He shouldn't be able to use even 10% because he broke his arms, it is impossible to use strength with broken bones (literally)
Nov 3, 2019 9:20 AM
Jul 2017
Esquirtit said:
@S-Mazoku Yes I am a filthy fanboy. You can't nitpick what is and isn't foreshadowing. Also I never said that scene with Ging took place on the Dark Continent. It's just like GI an unexplored island, implying there's much more.

@monkeyDberzerk Nen is just life force in HxH, any living thing has it. In Yorknew there was a girl who could foretell the future but didn't know anything about Nen.

Also no repercussions?? I'm pretty sure there were... except with Killua's wish that indeed is kinda BS but not an asspull when Nen as a concept is fluid and we've seen examples of that throughout the series

The fact that it can grant practically any wish without any repercussions while breaking the very law that nen hatsus are based on (vows and limitations) makes it broken. Togashi simply ignored every limitation of nen and created a Mary Sue with no foreshadowing, and that's what makes Nanika an asspull.

And no there were no repercussions for the user, i.e., Nanika/Alluka/Ai.

S-Mazoku said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

I already said that I don't consider Snakeman to be an asspull so I have no idea why you're still arguing. Or are you not?

FancyjasperNov 9, 2019 8:16 AM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that spurs you to read its continuation in manga, LN or VN

niknasr - 11 hours ago

24 by Galletita »»
1 minute ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

127 by MadanielFL »»
5 minutes ago

» What's an anime people consider messed up that has no effect on you

isseixkoneko - May 26

37 by TheMechaManiac »»
15 minutes ago

» What is the greatest anime crime?

SgtBateMan - Today

22 by Horizon248 »»
16 minutes ago

» Underrated movies

JoeChip - 9 hours ago

34 by Zayvex »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.