Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 11, 2020 1:13 AM
Jun 2017
tho I haven't seen that many, I've highly enjoyed the ones I have seen so I personally don't find them boring, but I think I do need to be in the right mood for them, compared to other genres where a plot is enough to pull me in and immediately start it.
Sep 11, 2020 7:16 AM

Apr 2019
FMmatron said:
Ippo has slice of life elements, but I still wouldn't recommend it someone specifically looking for a slice of life, the main appeal is clearly a different one.

With slice of life being the broadest genre of them all, even broader than drama, it needs to be narrowed down to become useful.
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out. (Alfred Hitchcock)
Any piece of fiction deals with the life of it's protagonists. The two interesting features being changes in the world (story) and in their minds (character development). If there is no progression in either, there is no drama and thus it's usually not fictionalized because it's pure boredom. The degree to which fictionalization and dramatization takes place along with thematic and story elements (e.g. war, romance, supernatural etc.) determines the genre and narrative style. Which means: any piece of fiction has drama and slice of life elements, as any character has a life and a development.
FMmatron said:
Slice of life elements and slice of life narrative are two different things. A show can be tagged slice of life, but that doesn't say much. You can't compare Sakurasou which is a rom-com, with drama, themes about self growth or pursuing your goals with Non Non Biyori or Barakamon which embrace the plain daily life, or in other words, with a slice of life in it's purest form. Imo only those "pure" shows should be labeled specifically as slice of life.
Now, that's your private definition and as good as any other. You basically define SoL as the thrift shop ("Resterampe") of drama. It's certainly not, I strongly disagree. Anidb.net's tag definition is that SoL is "daily life" and has one sub-tag "work life". That definition adds "daily" to something all characters in all fiction already have, a life interesting enough to be fictionalized. In that light, many genres become sub-genres of slice of life, all fiction about people with a defining job for example. Police, athlete, medical doctor, lawyer, detective and so on are all "work life" drama for particular occupations a majority considers "not boring". Which is completely arbitrary, any routine life will do and which occupations are interesting is purely subjective. There is no reason to assume the occupation of a Prima in Aria is "more boring" than than that of an athlete as in Hajime no Ippo.

To flock the dead horse sports individually, sports is extremely close to slice of life in many ways. To the point the border often blurs. Training is a boring, routine occupation whether you do it professionally (->work life), or as part of your character development (->slice of life). The main difference is dramaturgy, i.e. the way sports anime are cut, dramatized, and camera work is used. One may argue that there are no peaks in "pure" SoL, which tourney arcs, duels and matches are for sports. Partly true, and one of the main differences. But what is a "peak" is subjective again. Tourneys are story peaks, where other SoL more goes for character development peaks. The latter are more subtle, but equal.

Example: In Yuru Camp, a scene is reused with protagonists exchanged. Both Nadeshiko and Rin drive up the same forrest path alone. Rin does so in the beginning of the series, Nadeshiko in the end. It symbolizes change: Nadeshiko and Rin now understand each other's way of thinking and share an experience, despite being alone while doing so. That is basically the massive character development of Yuru Camp, well hidden in visual story telling. What I fail to see is how this is more boring and any less powerful and psychological than a fight in a boxing anime.
inimSep 11, 2020 7:19 AM

Sep 11, 2020 7:20 AM

Jun 2016
Yes. But SoL in visual novels are not.
Sep 11, 2020 7:25 AM

Jan 2008
Depends on the anime and if it's main focus is teenage or younger girls.
Sep 11, 2020 7:27 AM
Mar 2020
I don't think it's boring to watch, but it definitely becomes uninteresting after a few episodes. I only ever watch SoL for the other genres that go with it like drama or comedy
Sep 11, 2020 8:23 AM

Jun 2019
The pure form of SoL shows, such as Non Non Biyori or Aria are something I would not have sat through a few years back, so I can understand why some people find them boring as I once did.

I liked shows with a SoL element such as Pet Girl of Sakurasou or Ah Megami-sama!, but I couldn't understand the appeal of pure SoL shows like Aria. I simply found that too little happened and they couldn't keep my attention.

Over the last couple of years I've really gotten into SoL shows, partly as it overlaps so much with cgdct in shows like Hinako Note, Hitoribocchi & Magical Pokan. I no longer find SoL shows as boring and am happy to sit back and absorb all the beautiful animation without any action.

@inim really interesting deconstruction of SoL, thanks (had to look up dramaturgy, always good to learn something new).
Sep 11, 2020 8:29 AM

May 2020
yeah i get sleepy when ever i am watching em
Sep 11, 2020 9:32 AM

Nov 2013
If you ask me 4-5 years ago I'd say no. But now the answer is yes, most often time I just very frustrated by the lacks of things going on, maybe because my preference has changed. Recently I've tried Flying Witch, after couple of episodes I'm not very interested to continue. Maybe just a case of watching wrong anime, but I stand corrected.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Sep 11, 2020 9:36 AM

Apr 2020
highly depending on the character design, personalities, and number of main characters

in my opinion SoL/CGDCT anime will never fit 2 cours, even 1 cour is a bit too long, 12 min episode works the best

Sep 11, 2020 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
It depends. I only watch a slice of life after a day of work to relax or just before sleep.
Sep 11, 2020 3:37 PM
Jul 2020
I haven't seen much SOL, it's far from the most appealing genre to me. Having said that however Hinamatsuri is one of my favourite anime so I can say with certainty that not all SOL are boring. At least not according to my tastes.
The criteria I use when rating shows is on my profile.
Sep 12, 2020 11:22 PM

Sep 2014
Yes I generally find SOL boring (for anime and Asian dramas) depending on the plot/characters

Mushishi has a SOL tag but it was more like a fantasy/mystery for me and I actually liked Clannad since it became more of a melodrama later (but I've watched them many years ago)

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Sep 12, 2020 11:27 PM
Sep 2020
Nah as you get older you will start enjoying them more.
Sep 12, 2020 11:31 PM

Jun 2020
i find most action/battle shounen boring. obviously it's a subjective judgement.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Sep 12, 2020 11:40 PM
Jul 2018
Yes sometimes. I prefer action and battle lol, but sometimes it's not boring.
Sep 13, 2020 12:25 AM
Mar 2019
they're boring right, but they personally help me relieve part of my stress after watching some pretty heavy anime shows or after dealing with something as bad irl. i tend to be still picky with SOL in general because i dont like it when people are trying so hard to be funny or relatable. that aint it chief. id rather watch tanaka sleeping all day than some humorless comedy show
Sep 13, 2020 12:26 AM
Mar 2019
and yeah, agreed. i think this is mostly just subjective/whatever you prefer as a viewer. people who pit this genre towards other genres that are obviously the opposite of it are ridiculous
Sep 13, 2020 12:55 AM
Jul 2018
Nah, I find them very fun. I tend to enjoy the character interactions and watching the characters face different everyday situations.

Bonus points if they have cute girls
Sep 13, 2020 1:20 AM

May 2016
Yes and not only boring but it's also very rare to find a slice of life actually realistic
Sep 13, 2020 1:39 AM

Jan 2020
It's one of my favourite genre actually.
Sep 13, 2020 1:49 AM

Jan 2020
If it includes many great comedy , big no . If it was too bland , yeah maybe
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Sep 13, 2020 8:05 PM

Sep 2014
faleagum said:
Nah as you get older you will start enjoying them more.

Not for me 😂 I feel the opposite. I probably liked some SOL anime back then without realizing it but now I usually just find them meh/can't relate to high school characters anymore. I don't think it has to do with age but more with preferences. I would rather watch something that actually has an interesting plot/something about it that makes me want to click on the next episode than just watching characters hanging out here and there. Now if I were to talk about k-dramas I'd say I was bored with Hospital Playlist compared to The World of the Married

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Sep 13, 2020 8:20 PM

Oct 2018
No I love Slice of Life anime. One of my favorite anime of all time is Sakurasou wa Pet na Kanojo. Even though it is a SOL anime it still has a great story and characters. Also SOL anime serve as great palette cleansers after you watch a really high stakes anime.
Sep 13, 2020 8:41 PM
Feb 2020
The problem is they shy away from conflict and mean-spiritedness now, which defeats the purpose of "SoL" because those are facts of life.

I'm not saying SoL has to be edgy, but just... anything besides all this "uguuu I went fishing but the fish was too slippery to hold >_< uwuuu" cloying sickeningly sweet shit that has 0 comedy value and is just made for Japanese dudes to vicariously re-live their school years & project their unused paternal instincts at cartoon characters.

Azumanga was lighthearted too, but it had some mean-spirited comedy, and it had shades of weirdness running through it (jokes about suicide and death, the pedo teacher, etc). You need some of that to ground the show.
Sep 13, 2020 8:45 PM

Oct 2009
Slice of Life can be fun in a way that they can be relaxing. It's kind of a nice break from the whole action/drama in many Anime.

I started to appreciate the relaxing and slow-down tone to them. "Houkago Teibou Nisshi" is currently on-going about 4 girls fishing can be simple in its premise but fascinating in its presentation. It's really fun seeing characters being themselves in such setting. This show also give out a nice knowledge about certain animals and how to fish them out. The visuals look beautiful and you can sense the smell of the fresh sea from how it looks.

If you get of Anime burn-outs, they tend to help to get back and enjoying the stuff like Shounen or action/drama series.

No, they are not boring... they are more welcomed when you just want to kick back and relax.
Sep 23, 2020 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
I just was too impatient back then to enjoy slice of life. But I became year by year more patient and now it's one of my favorite genres. Mixed with fantasy is still one of my favorites, but I also liked it mixed with drama, romance, a bit comedy or pure sol.
It doesn't mean tho that I don't like fantasy with more action, action, horror etc. as well. I still like those a lot too.

I don't get the youtuber in the start post video tho. The extremely exagerrated dumb "who slept with whom"-drama he mentioned there that is always going on in western sitcoms annoys me so much, but anime slice of life gets me much more.
The guy seems to know almost only the "typical" CGDCTs although he talks about Girls Last Tour as well and that thing is awesome, not for "angsty teens" or anything. What the fuck "there is no substance there", what.
He also took very biased scenes to show "it's only about cute girls being helpless", although that's not what many of these series are about.
It just sounds like he's very impatient.

To me, mindless action is very boring and can put me to sleep tho. These typical hollywood blockbuster action movies put me to sleep twice or three times already.
removed-userSep 23, 2020 10:57 AM
Sep 23, 2020 8:40 AM

Jul 2020
Literally any genre has the possibility to be boring. Shounen and action series have obviously the lowest chance but the point still stands, it just depends on what kind of anime you are watching in my opinion, not the genre
Sep 23, 2020 9:11 AM

Dec 2018
SoL boring are the insubstantial anime about a moeblob that don't do anything interesting because Japanese authors have the belief that all girls are like that they adore a hollow and superficial life. That's why the best slice of life are with male protagonists like barakamon or rakugo.
Sep 23, 2020 9:31 AM
Sep 2020
i felt bored watching some slice of life, but some others really are as beautiful as life itself
Sep 23, 2020 7:37 PM
May 2020
i would take SOL every day of the week over some types of anime especially Dementia
Sep 23, 2020 7:47 PM

Aug 2018
I'm fairly at a crossroads when it comes to the genre...

On one side, it is meant to be a slice of life for the purpose of just that - looking into the daily life of someone else. It's a laid back genre, not necessarily meant for grand plots that drag on. Most of them are usually based off of light novels, from what I've noticed...

On the other, it can get repetitive as the show drags on. The comic relief begins to get less comedic as jokes tend to repeat themselves, the characters begin to lose their depth, or any attempt at actually having something interesting happen falls short...

From experience, most SOL anime start off well and interesting enough, and then it gets rather boring halfway through.

It makes me want to hop off the train, but I ain't no bitch. lol
╔════════════════ • • ════════════════╗
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind
I want to get off, but I keep riding the ride
I never really noticed that I had to decide
To play someone's game, or live my own life
- Get Free, Lana Del Rey

╚════════════════ • • ════════════════╝
Sep 23, 2020 7:54 PM
Jan 2019
It is wrong to generalize based on genre.

Some slice-of-life are simple episodic stories with almost no plot or character development. I personally dislike these ones.

Some SOLs have interesting stories, and flesh out characters much more, making them much more beautiful. Barakamon, is an example, a pure slice-of-life but has a great story (especially the manga portion that hasn't been adapted).
Sep 23, 2020 7:56 PM

Dec 2019
It's all a matter of taste in the end. Personally, SoL is one of my favorite genres lol. 7 out of 8 of my 10's ARE Slice of life shows (maybe all 8 if you consider Isekai shokudou a SoL but it's not listed as one so 7 it is).

Some people don't need action to enjoy a show, others enjoy shows more if it has that excitement action brings and SoL just can't give them that. It can go this way for every genre imo, they all have something that a certain group of people will enjoy that other types of shows may not be able to give them.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
-Kino's Journey
Sep 23, 2020 7:59 PM

Sep 2018
Possibly, if you're still solely a fucking loser shounen fag, then maybe.
Sep 23, 2020 8:06 PM

Jul 2020
I've only watched koe no katachi so no. Slice of life is not boring. (If you're not a die hard shounen fan)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2020 8:17 PM

Mar 2019
I feel like theres so many genres that include SoL that it's hard to generalise. Like I love Barakamon, and Mushi-shi, but then I dislike K-on. I just think it's a very broad term.
Sep 23, 2020 8:27 PM

Apr 2020
For the most part they are pretty boring, they're usually just loafing around and if I don't feel as if the story is progressing I get really annoyed.
Sep 23, 2020 9:09 PM

Sep 2020
I've never been interested in them, but I also haven't ever tried watching one, I don't think...
Sep 23, 2020 9:12 PM

Mar 2020
u mean Slice of Nothing Happens? lmao
Sep 27, 2020 3:12 PM

Jul 2017
Depends on the show but I love slice of life shows that mix hints of philosophical intrigue, or really offers stuff subtly beyond just being there to look cute or pass time.

Kino's Journey and Girls Last Tour are 2 shows that symbolize the kind of slice of life content I admire the most. Feels like I'm relaxing plus gaining interesting content by seeing the meaning of certain ideas mixed with nice interactions.
Sep 27, 2020 4:00 PM

Mar 2016
Depends on what you want as well as the other parts of the show. As a self-proclaimed SoL connoisseur, it just takes a good eye and a knack for truly recognizing what you want from such a series.
Sep 27, 2020 6:26 PM
Mar 2013
I get what he's saying but I only agree partially, the main factor for me is if that anime will keep me entertained and/or interested, a pure SoL will likely bore me but if it's well done I might enjoy it, if it's like Barakamon or Morroco-chan I'll gladly watch, if it's like K-on I don't mind occasionally but not my go-to watch

That being said I find it pointless to go to such lengths in asking people why they have a particular taste unless it's someone I know personally or I'm doing a research on the matter, his question seems more rhetorical despite stating otherwise, at least he wasn't rude about it
Chigo_SenseiSep 27, 2020 6:38 PM
Sep 27, 2020 8:02 PM

Jul 2014
After watching some no they arent always boring some are even really good but imo they can really drag on and become boring really fast. They have to keep the equilibrium of having enough going on to keep my attention.

If its just mostly comedy itll lost my attention fast as I've never been a fan of anime comedy to begin with.
Sep 27, 2020 8:43 PM

Feb 2020
If I don't get attached to the characters, yes, it is to me. I mean, what's the point in watching random people I don't care about doing random stuff I don't care about ?
But if I actually like the characters then it becomes relaxing, because it makes me happy to see them and it feels good not to always have action.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» A Goddess pays you a visit and promises to grant you a wish.

Shizuna - 36 minutes ago

10 by Shizuna »»
48 seconds ago

» Is it wrong to care A LOT about someone's tastes and preferences?

Pokitaru - 4 hours ago

23 by Pokitaru »»
1 minute ago

» What if, anime/ series that produced by different studio?!

nirererin - 11 minutes ago

2 by nirererin »»
3 minutes ago

» unpopular opinions

ST63LTH - Jun 27

38 by Cielord »»
12 minutes ago

» How would you describe the Mary Sue characters and how would you like them?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

35 by RobertBobert »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.