Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Oct 8, 2013 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
Is it me or was Rin's nose abnormally large like a shark's in this episode? I didn't like all the crying, kind of pathetic.
Oct 9, 2013 10:47 AM

Feb 2010
Crying Rin, smiling Rin KyoAni thank you for this beautiful sight
10/10
Now to wait for 2nd season
Oct 9, 2013 11:38 PM

Aug 2007
Well, I ended up like Rin by the end of this series, who would have thought? I could really feel his emotions and pain with not being with the people he enjoyed with being the most. I think it's a mark of a notable show when you see the characters evolve, even if it's not particularly deep.

It was a good show, I'll give it a 7/10, which is really high rating for me for slice of life. There was actual direction and it was inspirational and cliche, but in a good way :)

Oct 11, 2013 5:54 AM

Feb 2012
Rin seemed a bit OOC. But well, this anime was certainly a big surprise. I can't deny it was freaking enjoyable, although it had those cheesy moments... the ending was a bit too much for me, so I'm giving it a 6/10, but it's very close to 7. If there is a second season (which is certain I guess), I'll watch it.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Oct 11, 2013 6:26 PM

Dec 2012
This was an awesome end. I'm gonna miss this so much. So emotional and sweet. At least they weren't like"Rei, we're abandoning you for Rin." :3
Oct 12, 2013 10:51 PM

Mar 2012
I thought this show had too many flat characters, at the end, I still don't know anything at all about Nagisa, nor did he really influence the story/plot in any real way, yet is one of 5 listed main characters. Nothing is mentioned about Nitori, or why he's seemingly obsessed with Rin, his character is for the most part limited to just pestering Rin with questions the entire show and I know he's not a listed main character, but he had quite a bit of air time, Rei...had a unique character at the start, but at the end his character was reduced to nothing more than a plot progessor, used in order for Rin to convey why he is the way he is both to the audience and to Haru but it's not clear at all why he was another obsessive character, and his reasoning for his vested interest in the "conflict" between Rin and Haru seemed incredibily forced. Makoto became somewhat of a rounded character for one episode, when they introduced his fear of the ocean but once again, this is about all his character gets, and remains pretty flat the rest of the show. Out of the show's 5 listed main characters, the end of the show ends up with only 2 real main characters, and that's pretty messed up.

However, the plot was pretty decent, nothing too over the top....kept me entertained and interested. I would attribute the above paragraph to just another poor adaption, but this is one of the rare anime first, manga/novel second shows. In which case, they really should have looked at a longer season, there's a lot of holes that need filling, and a lot of air time for characters that were intended to be main characters. I'll give this a 7/10...but definitely could have been way better.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Oct 13, 2013 10:01 AM
May 2012
Really awesome, best one from KyoAni i've seen this year for me.

9/10.
Oct 13, 2013 8:26 PM

Apr 2010
The ending was very touching and sweet. I'm happy that Haru and Rin became more direct with their true feelings and that they could be friends again. I mean, everyone could tell how much they missed each other! I hope there's another season. But what would the conflict be?
Oct 13, 2013 8:27 PM

Apr 2010
thracias said:
Is it me or was Rin's nose abnormally large like a shark's in this episode? I didn't like all the crying, kind of pathetic.
Are you kidding? I was waiting for Rin to finally cry so he can stop acting like a tough guy and just reveal what his real feelings are! That's major character development for him.
Oct 17, 2013 2:09 AM

Jun 2011
All the feels.

hellomustache said:
angsty rin is fav

Angsty Rin.
Angsty Rin.

Chanaynay said:
My one disappointment is that KOU DID NOT GET WITH SAMEZUKA SWIM CAPTAIN, sobs forever.

OMG yes I was rooting for those two!

I loved the bit when the 4 of them hugged shirtless.

I wasn't the best anime or anything but it really got me at some bits.
I really hope to see them next summer.
Oct 17, 2013 12:15 PM

Jun 2009
This show's actually pretty nice...

I can't believe I enjoyed it this much.

7/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2013 1:10 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode that shines only in the final minutes, before it was too sugary and full of flattery that upset. An anime that talks about friendship, I believe that almost all have it figured out! Technically it is well done, the incredible OST perhaps one of the things with the character of Rei I liked them most of all.
The plot has not really shone for originality and storytelling gave too much space to a motivation that had become all too familiar, taking away time that I liked most, or see them swim and fight!
For these final minutes, my vote instead of 4/5 is a 5/5
while for the final vote I think 7/10 for now is more than consistent!
Oct 20, 2013 7:37 AM

Jul 2009
So Rin fails spectacularly in his individual relay ... so their plan is to make them swim for their relay?! LOL! Gotta say Rei shows some great selflessness to suggest it :P
Another Rin/Haru moment ... what with the cherry blossoms and "confession" ish scene XD Pretty cool how they did the thing where everyone "sees" what they like in the water ... Nagisa and the sea creatures pfffttt XD
RIN HUG!!! D'aawwwww :') Great moments, eh?
So they get disqualified, no surprises there ... and Rin gets put back onto the relay! :P
New ED was pretty good ... gotta say for a moment I thought Rin was gonna transfer to their school and that's why he was practicing his introduction O_O I guess it's only for their joint training though ... lol
Anyway, looks like a second season is happening ...? :O Overall I did enjoy this one, great animations and music and of course the charas too ;P Even had some "plot" to go with the eye candy ... yeah, I admit, I liked this more than I thought I would! 8/10
Oct 20, 2013 9:27 AM

Sep 2011
Rin seemed a bit OOC.

Not really. If you read High Speed, you would know that this is actually Rin's real personality. He put on a tough guy front because he was hurting and he wanted to protect himself, but he's always been sensitive and a crybaby. Even if you didn't read High Speed, I don't feel like this waqs OOC at all given everything we've seen about Rin in the anime.
Oct 22, 2013 4:33 PM

May 2012
For the team~

Pretty nice ending I must say of this series, it really gave me the mood of going actually swimming and well the development, characters and pace were both quite lovely! I do wonder if there will be a second season but well it ain't all that bad in general I actually quite liked the concept!
Nov 1, 2013 7:58 AM

Nov 2010
Argh that end!
It was brave for Rei to give up his spot to Rin, but it's also terribly weak
Thrown away the Koshien of swimming for this

And all of this would have been avoided if Rin joined his old gang in the first place

Anyway it was still fun to follow it from the beginning till here

It's a nice advertisement to the swimming sports
and like Haru I like to swim where I see a beach or pool around

See you next Summer?

Nov 1, 2013 1:25 PM

Jul 2010
I really enoyed the serie, lots of emotional angsty moments but enough happiness at the end to make up for it.

Though I feel sorry for Rei, I loved seeing Rin back with his old team during the relay, he seemed so relieved, relaxed and happy :) I'm praying for a 2nd season, if you see which other anime's get a sequel it shouldn't be impossible, right?
Nov 3, 2013 5:28 PM

Feb 2013
Really awesome ending, kinda felt sad for Rei at the ending but I guess it's fine. Can't wait for the next season.
Nov 9, 2013 9:47 AM
Oct 2013
Loved the ending <3

Ike ike ike ike ike MAKOTO XD
Nov 9, 2013 12:20 PM

Aug 2012
The posturing of sports and youth, melodramatic and predictable... just the way I like it. A great watch, as always, Kyoto Animation.
Nov 15, 2013 6:05 AM
Apr 2011
Animation is superb. The story is kinda cliche though. It reminds of various japanese dorama especially the ending. If there is a season 2 they need to really turn up the drama.

Anyway I wonder if KyoAni can make an MMA anime...FYI most MMA schools allows both genders to spar with each other...It would be really interesting how they can make a story out of that scenario...
Nov 15, 2013 9:58 AM

Apr 2010
If we don't get a second season after that, "See you next summer," I will be extremely upset. Although, what problem they will introduce in it I have no idea, because this season was great. It had a decent plot and a great pace that didn't feel to fast, but was constantly moving and I don't want to see it turn into crap just because it's popular.
Nov 18, 2013 3:31 AM

Oct 2012
Aw that's so sweet
Especially when Kou saw Ama-sensei (Marin) inside a magazine

Anyways good ending.. I'll miss this... G-.. Kouuuuuu :(
I'll definitely miss those expressions xD
"Signature removed"
Nov 19, 2013 9:34 AM

Dec 2011
Hopefully season 2 if there is one develops Rei and Nagisa more.
Nov 22, 2013 8:01 AM
May 2012
Wow, I can't believe that I almost cried!!!!

I love you Rei ( I am not gay =_= ) It's just that he is so nice....like me :P

Fuck yeah they're back!!!! I am glad that Rin finally moved on and back at being friends with all of them again ^_^

The ending really satisfied me and made me happy :D

Many people said that this Anime is gay and full of fanservice but still I decided that I am going to watch it since it's selling very well and KyoAni :3 and I end up really enjoying it and I am pretty sure that they're going to make a season 2 and I am really going to watch it :3

I didn't like the opening song at first but now I really like it and I've always liked the ending song, they're both awesome!!!!

Now I want to swim too and be FREE!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you and that end card is beautiful!!!!!
Nov 23, 2013 6:12 PM

May 2013
DAT END CARD DOE :')

Rei-kun is my new fave for this anime now :') Makkun is second ahha x]
They too cute-- all 5 of them :')

And when Nagi-kun cried xD totally adorbs huehuehue
I felt sorry for Rei at first, but I got relieved that he didn't go back to the track team or else I would've destroyed my laptop, bahahahah xD

I really like the photo they took together on top of the locker ;~; Like Rei would say, it's beautiful~~~

Nov 29, 2013 3:19 PM

Aug 2009
This last ep left me with mixed feelings!
I mean first of all, why didn't Rei say anything to Haru right away but waited until everyone got quiet and there was nothing else that could have been done but for him to speak!

Leaving this aside, I was really sad watching Rei making the decision to help them team go look for Rin! I know I would do the exact same thing if I was in that situation, even if that would break my heart! I really think he may have felt that he might be left out but even so he decided to make everybody help out Rin! And that was a very tough moment for me - because I'm really familiar with these moments when you make a choice which is far from doing any good to you, but at least it's in the best interest of somebody else - Rin in the case! And that was something I admire Rei for! ^_^

It was also pretty enjoyable to watch all of the old teammates swimming together! Extremely heart-warming! And it actually made Rin realise who he wants to be and what his dream is! That was another great thing!

Actually I didn't get the Rin school introduction thingie?!! O___o''' Is he planning to change school or is it just something Nagi made him do?! e.e

Oh, forgot to mention that I didn't really like the "Oh, I want to swim with him" or "But I won't be able to swim with him anymore".... I don't mean to offend anyone and I also liked Free! But this was a bit too much! Everything was revolving around Haru! It's like a love triangle/square/whatever!

To me it kinda looks like this:

Rin (1st) Mako(2nd) Nagi(3rd-but not to such extend) Rei(4th-but just admiration)
▼     ▼     ▼                ▼
▼     ▼     ▼                ▼
HARU (everybody's obsessed with him for some reason - is it really his way of swimming?!!)

And not to forget the fanboy Ai Nitori! He was like a total Rin fanboy!!! >_< I guess he's just worried but are you really that into your friends....I don't think so! x'DDD

Anyway! I don't expect people to agree with me but that's just my opinion! \(^_^)/
KikimorkaNov 29, 2013 3:58 PM
Nov 30, 2013 1:00 PM

Aug 2011
I wouldn't have minded Rin's reconciliation with his former team, but did it have to be at Rei's expense? Not only that, but I hated his attitude toward a teammate that really looked up to him.
Overall, it was a good series. 7/10
Dec 3, 2013 10:56 PM
Dec 2013
It ended... it actually ended... :'( NOOOO NO MORE TOTALLY HOT BOYS AND HEARTFELT MOMENTS TO LOOK FOR DX I'm seriously gonna die with out my fix of triceps *◡* totally dreammmyyyy!! BUT SERIOUSLY! That was totally an epicly delicous anime epppp I WANT A SEASON 2 100000000/10
Dec 10, 2013 4:08 AM

Jun 2008
Amarrez said:
Well, that was a nice episode to wrap up. This show was wildly inconsistent quality wise for me, but it had its moments. 5/10.

The same. Decent last 3 episodes i guess but kind of boring and stupid in the most part.
Dec 24, 2013 8:38 AM

Dec 2012
Well- this was a nice episode and great ending for the series~!
Dec 26, 2013 3:09 PM

Jan 2010
"see you next summer"? season 2? probably, this show had a lot of fans that will demand a second season. i'll be watching that.
why did they replace poor rei??
8/10 for me
Mar 14, 2014 11:11 AM

Oct 2008
Maybe I'm just biased because I'm a guy, but I think K-on is better.
Idk, I just didn't feel the character chemistry and that's probably because of this whole drama thing with Rin that felt overblown and kinda held the show back. It's certainly not a bad anime though, I mean there's nothing terribly wrong with it but I don't know..
Mar 16, 2014 11:33 PM

Jan 2012
too much bromance... not enough swimming

though I can brush this off as character dev. intro..

7/10
Mar 20, 2014 8:30 PM

Aug 2011
Well it wasn't boring but I was expecting maybe something different.

» Escapism.

Apr 8, 2014 3:25 AM

Apr 2009
I love the last episode. Nagisa is surely so annoying through out the show! >.<
For me it's just another slice of life sports anime. I'm still going to watch the season 2.

6/10 for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2014 3:58 AM
Apr 2014
Great ending! :) will be waiting for the 2nd season!
Apr 14, 2014 12:45 PM

Jul 2013
I loved that!

I'm glad Haru and Rin got to swim in the relay again together, it was sweet. Only wish they weren't disqualified.

I can't wait for the second season!

Beautiful story of friendship <3
Apr 20, 2014 6:47 AM

Jun 2011
Okay, so we have a happy ending as Rei (for some odd reason he reminds me of a shark every time he smiles) joins the gang once more.
Hope for the second season to be as good as this one. ^__^
Apr 22, 2014 1:09 PM

Jan 2014
goddamnit nitori is annoying
and wtf did they all reach zen while swimming? xD
despite how fucking ridiculous this anime is, it was more enjoyable than I thought it would be (although it helps if you don't think about it too much lol), and the animation is beautiful, so 8/10
Apr 23, 2014 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
To be honest, I can't accept that Rei sacrificed himself for Rin. Maybe because I don't like Rin and I adore Rei so much. But yeah, it doesn't feel right when:

- Rei has practiced so hard and hasn't being a jerk
- Rin being a jerk pretty much the whole anime

I hope they give the boys equal screentime in season 2. I'll be pretty pissed if they reduce Rei/Nagisa for Rin. these two deserve more.
Apr 25, 2014 7:52 PM

Nov 2013
really nice final episode, 7/10 overall

get ready for next season
May 27, 2014 2:31 AM

Dec 2009
Well that was quite the wave. Wave of awesome? Maybe. Wave of absolute suckiness? Naah.
Wave of best show ever? Pfft.

Way to shunt out Rei completely at the end.. Well whatever.

Haru's character was such a mystery and his sudden change made me cringe and his character fell completely flat. Felt so out of character when he told Rei "Of course we were worried".

Rin was absolutely unbearable to watch at some times, such an arrogant and dislikeable character, yuck. And then suddenly his character completely turned around when Haru suddenly confessed his love to him. What? he didn't do that? Looked like it.

Mako was a beast and awesome all around. Loyalty and friendship means everything to him. Awesome dude all around.

Nagisa was comic relief, I hope we can get something more from him in season 2.

Rei was awesome and beautiful, enough said.

The story had it's up and downs, I mostly enjoyed the fluff the most, The festival with Rei shadowing Rin was hilarious.

6/10 and I'll watch season 2.

And to prove I am straight. Gou and the bikini teacher were smexy and the best part of the show.

Sent with Mal Updater
Sir_LexaMay 27, 2014 3:04 AM
Jul 8, 2014 4:54 PM

Jul 2012
Finished my rewatch of this. Gonna re-rate it from an 8 to a 7 this time. While it has some great sports elements, the characters are not as complex as people make them to be and for the show to rely mostly on feels moments (looking at you Clannad) and backstory, it doesn't provide that great of a present story.

Nonetheless, still good and fun to watch. Just not as exciting as the first time through.

I still see season 2 becoming a very solid 8/10 however. It's wacky to the next level.
Jul 26, 2014 7:38 PM

Apr 2014
I wasn't expecting to actually like this series.
I really enjoyed watching it in the beginning, but I found the ending to be mediocre. Like some other people, I feel a little bitter about Rei not being able to swim with them. It's not that I don't like Rin, though. The ending was touching, but I think that they should have moved on... (and swam with Rei instead of re-living their memories) or something.

(Actually it also bothers me a little that they did all that to be disqualified- which was irrational when other students are serious about winning. I'm probably just saying this because I enjoy the "Let's win the nationals!" plot rather than the "Swimming is about friends" plot.)

Overall, it was an alright series. The focus on friendship/slice of life for a sports anime was well done. It would be really nice to see a Diamond no Ace-style anime but with swimming one day.
Jul 26, 2014 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
LOAD said:
Overall, it was an alright series. The focus on friendship/slice of life for a sports anime was well done. It would be really nice to see a Diamond no Ace-style anime but with swimming one day.

I'd love to see that too. I think I'd prefer something more like Uchuu Kyoudai or Ookiku Furikabutte where it had non-sports (technically Uchuu Kyoudai isn't sports but whatever) moments too.
Jul 27, 2014 3:07 PM

Feb 2011
THAT WAS NICE, CRIES
Jul 27, 2014 9:01 PM
May 2012
I just finished it and I can say that I love it. I feel like people over exaggerate about how it has so much fanservice. I didn't see any of that except maybe twice at the beginning. The only thing i hate about it is that FUCKIGN NITORI holy fuck i wish he'd shut up and drown.

but in ep 12...dat bromance tho.
Aug 21, 2014 2:00 AM
May 2014
I saw Rin in the classroom and I wiggled a bit in excitement, didn't realise it was joint practice but reagrdless, they're all back together!

Now, to get started on next series! ^_^
Aug 22, 2014 2:21 AM

Jun 2014
I could critique some points but I still enjoyed the anime very much. Don't know why I started it so late, now it has a second season which I'll begin shortly.

Very enjoyable and the final picture at the end really made me smile.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

146 by cooldogmom »»
Aug 21, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

171 by cooldogmom »»
Aug 21, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

103 by cooldogmom »»
Aug 21, 12:23 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2013

247 by cooldogmom »»
Aug 21, 11:54 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2013

253 by cooldogmom »»
Aug 18, 4:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.