Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 31, 2010 12:41 AM

Aug 2010
The anime is oke except for the old dude. XD but it stop at episode 12 i want to see the final battle >_>

Sep 5, 2010 6:57 AM

Nov 2007
WE GOT TROLLED, GUYS

Ah, crazy shit. Real let down that it finished there, though, so much more potential. I am really tempted to give this a 5/10 because of the annoying ending, but will give it a 6/10 because I really enjoyed something dark and twisted and gorey for a change.
Oct 26, 2010 11:02 AM

Feb 2008
Not a climatic ending but it did finish the story I guess.. Have to rewatch this show again sometime maybe, I need some fresh anime first lol, too much gore is not healthy.
Oct 29, 2010 2:41 AM
Jun 2008
I want a second season now ;o;
Nov 19, 2010 7:20 PM
Nov 2010
I have a theory on the matter of Irako being a cripple.

In Kogan's antechamber, after the song, Irako appears satisfied with the tatami's firmness. It seems that in order to have a successful Mumyo Sakanagare, the ground must provide a certain degree of resistance.

However, in the first episode we can clearly see that the fighting stage is paved with cobblestones. How is Irako supposed to plant his sword in such terrain? I believe that Irako had foreseen such disadvantage and worked out a way to create resistance nonetheless; by planting the sword in his own foot.

He most likely became a cripple as a result of training his foot to provide resistance for the technique. IMHO.
Dec 15, 2010 4:50 PM
May 2009
Abelisk said:
I have a theory on the matter of Irako being a cripple.

In Kogan's antechamber, after the song, Irako appears satisfied with the tatami's firmness. It seems that in order to have a successful Mumyo Sakanagare, the ground must provide a certain degree of resistance.

However, in the first episode we can clearly see that the fighting stage is paved with cobblestones. How is Irako supposed to plant his sword in such terrain? I believe that Irako had foreseen such disadvantage and worked out a way to create resistance nonetheless; by planting the sword in his own foot.

He most likely became a cripple as a result of training his foot to provide resistance for the technique. IMHO.

Awesome guess, you're correct for the most part.

Minor spoiler alert: later in a showdown where a familiar character catches Irako off guard, the ground is wet and therefore provides no resistance. Instead, he plants his sword in his foot and thus performs mumyou sakanagare and slaying his opponent.
Jan 9, 2011 6:34 PM

Feb 2010
A continuation of this would really be great. Especially seeing that the manga was finished 2010. The only reason I don't rate this higher than 8 is that it's so unfinished.
I may need to read the manga ^^
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 18, 2011 3:01 PM

Oct 2007
It's really a pity that they didn't finish it! They could at least do 2 or 3 OVA's to clarify some major points =/
Feb 6, 2011 2:35 AM
Nov 2010
The last fight was great, dragon vs. tiger, loved the visuals. Hope there's a second season or some sort of OVA to finish it. Oh well good series 8/10 for me.
Apr 15, 2011 10:58 AM

Aug 2008
I REALLY enjoyed this anime it had me gripped to it through every episode I wasn't bored for a minute! I watched every episode wanting to continue hastily every time an episode ended... as for the last episode the fight was pretty awesome and made me like Fujiki even more since he tried to save kogan even though he was long dead.. tho it was pretty nasty xD The end totally confused me when it was over I was just like WTF?? thats the last episode... no I must of missed something?? xD But now that I thought it over it was a really great show just hope they make a second season to finish it off and answer the unknown questions!!! 9/10
[right][right]
Jul 6, 2011 3:31 PM

May 2009
Wow this was such a let down. Not only did I go through all that gore and nudity BS, but I wasn't even given an ending? I don't care how unique the story was, it is not complete. Highly disappointing. 5/10
Jul 10, 2011 9:15 PM

Apr 2011
1000000/10. this Anime spells "enough of the loli shit".
Jul 13, 2011 6:26 PM

Nov 2010
This was getting at least a 9/10 for me until the final episode...the lack of answers just left me so bitterly disappointed. 7/10
Aug 26, 2011 9:15 AM

Feb 2008
There are really a lot of mix emotions in this. Some give 5/10, other perfect 10.

IF it's only the ending that made the whole story disappointing, then it's not worth it to give it below 7. The whole story, plot is really great and unique. It's not just another Samurai series. Just like someone said, it really fits into Japanese cinema. To be treated with something like that in a series is a pop candy! :)

Please don't underrate it just because it's not ended properly, finish the manga then, and rate it. The producers/director making this brilliant anime deserves a high score.

9/10 for me; it's not that perfect, but it's brilliant! ALMOST masterpiece.
Sep 16, 2011 10:41 PM

Nov 2007
Oh man, this show is so great. It really does feel like Berserk in retrospect. Its a difficult thing to start making a show before the manga is finished. I know FMA did this, but FMA is a more 'wide audience' friendly show.

As a samurai film fan I really enjoyed it. I also have to admit that the slow pace didn't bother me since I like shows like Boogiepop, and Lain. Its refreshing to see a show go to such a realistic darkness when shows like Bleach, and Naruto are so lighthearted feeling.

Its definitely not a show for everybody. I really liked it though. Maybe one day they'll return to it and maybe make an OVA.
Oct 24, 2011 7:43 PM

Jul 2010
I just finished the series, watched the whole thing in 1 day. I absolutely love this anime! It's freaking gory and disturbing but that's part of the reason it was so addicting. I loved the artistic quality of this. I'm giving it a 9/10.

It's been years and no word of an OVA or continuation yet? I suppose I'll just have to read the manga. But still, I'd love to see it in anime just because of the way it was done.
Oct 27, 2011 12:31 PM

Mar 2010
Loved this series but like many others, a little letdown by the ending. I gave this 8/10 just because of how it ended. Otherwise 9/10, which is a high score for me.

I'm currently up to the point where the anime ends in the manga. Love it, can't wait to see how this pans out.

I hope we get a second season one day.
Nov 5, 2011 4:57 PM
Sep 2011
Gave it a 4/5. I would rate it 7.5 on a scale of 1-10.

My one major fault with the series is that virtually none of the character, with the notable exceptions of Kogan and (to a lesser extent) Iku, are particularly interesting or out of the ordinary. With a slow-paced story, unique and engaging characters are a must.

Unfortunately, you are unlikely to see a season 2 or an OVA because the series fared extremely poorly in Japan.
Nov 5, 2011 6:16 PM

Apr 2011
Read the manga people. It's even better than the anime and it solves your answers...
Dec 2, 2011 12:41 PM

Jun 2009
RAAAAGGGGEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED????

God dammit. Great fights, interesting characters, not much of a plot, not showing us the conclusion of the fight (and a lot of other things). 7/10.

Still...RAGE!
Jan 3, 2012 4:59 AM

Dec 2009
Incredibly awesome episode. As slow as it was, it was still very intense.
Mar 16, 2012 10:42 PM

Jan 2012
loving all the troll comments and lack of logic in shitty rating some of you guys are demonstrating.

looks like manga is finished also...

9/10 for me
Mar 18, 2012 8:48 PM
Mar 2012
I personally liked the series, very artistic and dark. The end gives me the idea that Irako Seigen requested that his opponent was Fujiki Gennosuke in order to show his Mumyo Sakanagare technique.
Apr 11, 2012 1:49 AM
Apr 2012
i think he gets crippled from landing on the sword.

i think fujiki cuts off his own arm in atonement or something. it's obvious he's locked himself in the cell. also, he's slowly clutching his left arm as he hears ushimata's screams outside.

lastly, i think the answer to the fight is that fujiki wins. right before the fight between seigen and kougan, iku has a premonition that seigen is defeated and that she and he die. however, she is wrong, and seigen wins.

this i believe is the answer to the first episode of who wins. right before, mie has a premonition that fujiki will lose, however, i believe the last episode's answer was that the winner's woman will have a fearful premonition that her man will lose.

i believe it might be a statement that the more desperate man, despite having a more doubtful woman, will summon the determination to win by a hair. after all, japanese animes are traditionally all about determination/pure motivations being the needle that tips the scales.
Jul 26, 2012 8:00 AM
Jul 2012
This anime has i think 100 drawn frames per episode , it's absolutely disgrace for an anime ...there is no fully drawn scenes just moving the screen left to right or up and down.I suggest you should read the manga. Fujiki's hand was cut by Irako in a fight ...you should read the manga tho to see what happened and Irako will die in this fight where Fujiki has no hand .
Nov 5, 2012 11:13 PM

Nov 2011
Uh..as much as I enjoyed some of the violence and gore that was presented, this was not a series for me.

The blood and gore seems to be just forced upon the viewers. I am also very confused on the premise of this an didn't like the historical genre much. Heh, it's probably just me but I didn't like it much.

4/10
Dec 3, 2012 7:57 AM

Dec 2009
"Hey, let's animate this. It has a lot of sex scenes and gore, but no story."
"Okie dokie!"
Jan 6, 2013 12:26 AM

Nov 2010
What a tease, I wasn't paying attention to the episode count and just clicking next whenever an episode ended, and then it just stopped. Where's the rest of my story, I want to see how the situation in episode 1 ended.

8/10, great action, liked the story, a little too much gore for me, incomplete ending.
Jan 11, 2013 12:15 AM
Jan 2011
A lot of the mysteries have been seen from you. But I think I got one more :) That left arm of Fujiki. In the previous episodes all the damage was done on his right arm, not his left. That wound from the time he bit himself to spit blood, was also to his right arm, but with no doubt it would have heel. So how did he lost his left arm? Here comes an answer that I bet not anyone have thought of.

Fujiki was entrusted with the task to protect his master. Ushimata him self sad he should have stayed for the same reason but the Master ordered him to leave on that journey, so he leaves that task to Fujiki. At the end Fujiki failed not only to save his master but also the entire Kogan Style. With the death of Kogan everything that was not given to them from their master was lost. The Dojo as well was shut down. When Ushimata came back and screamed they showed us 2 things. First that left arm of Fujiki looked as healthy as it could get. Second, Fujiki was confronted with the shame of his fail that led to the destruction of the Kogan Style.

There for the only way to redeem himself was to make the greatest sacrifice. Nagari Boshi - the final technique in the Kogan Style requires 2 hands. So he had to cut of one of his hands to repay for the loss of the Master of this technique that he failed. He had to cut of his left hand even when he knew it was not crippled. His right hand was better with the sword as sad from his fellow Kogan users, plus the cripple fingures have been useful for his own technique. Even thou both of them use the basics of the Kogan technique. Fujiki and Irako Seigen have surpass Kogan. That is how real martial arts were born. When students surpass their masters and create their own styles that how ever still at it's core resample the original.

To those who don't believe that cutting your arm makes scene. Don't forget the sucrifise that started this series. It showed us that samurai do believe in honer and shame is not so lightly taken from such man. I just think it's sad they made it so blur about his arm's sacrifice. No one could have cut off his arm. In the story they never fight after Kogan dies till the Match at Episode 1.
Jan 12, 2013 12:00 PM

Jun 2007
@everyone who wonders about how they get to the final scene, you'll find it all in the manga which is already completed. Actually, the anime covers only around 1/3rd of the whole story.
Feb 11, 2013 5:28 PM

Apr 2011
Was not happy with this show at all, felt like it tried way too hard to be artistic. Too much unnecessary nudity and violence (seriously, nobody bleeds that much) and the plot just really didn't make much sense at all, being artistic is cool and all but this show definitely way overdid it, 5/10 from me.
Feb 25, 2013 4:59 AM
Jul 2018
I was eating when I watched this. The gore was even more intense that for the first time, I actually felt slightly disturbed especially in the scene with Fujiki.
Interesting, the mighty Kogan was defeated because he let his guard down when his daughter appeared.

I don't blame Mie for fainting, I would have had the same reaction if I was in a room full of dismembered corpses and some guy's brain sliding off from the side of his face lol.

I was expecting them to continue the first episode. It was a good show, very artistic.
Feb 28, 2013 9:54 PM

Feb 2013
Really amazing series but i wasn't that happy with how the anime ended (and almost puked at the fujiki-kogan fight scene). Hope they make a continuation series.
9/10
Mar 15, 2013 11:25 AM

May 2008
Great series! The ending left me a little disappointed though, I would have liked to see the fight between Irako and Fujiki resolved. Oh well! It just makes me more excited to read the manga!
May 4, 2013 5:53 AM

Mar 2013
Now i gotta read the manga :(
May 14, 2013 2:21 AM

Jan 2013
Shitty ending, otherwise a great show with a few flaws but nothing too bad. Would've gave a 9/10 if the ending was solid, 7/10 with such a shitty ending though. Saying "but the source material does it better" doesn't make the anime any less of a disappointment at the end.
Jun 14, 2013 11:15 AM

Oct 2009
Brotwo said:
Shitty ending, otherwise a great show with a few flaws but nothing too bad. Would've gave a 9/10 if the ending was solid, 7/10 with such a shitty ending though. Saying "but the source material does it better" doesn't make the anime any less of a disappointment at the end.

these are my thoughts exactly, and the reaosn that i also gave it 7/10 (would have given 9/10 if it had a good ending)
Aug 3, 2013 2:25 AM

Aug 2012
It's a shame they've left the series unfinished...
Oct 18, 2013 11:30 PM

Nov 2008
Brotwo said:
The manga is almost exactly the same up to that point. I thought it was a great cliffhanger. But it wasn't an ending. Criticize the 2007 viewers instead of the show. It's the best adaptation it could have been with limited appeal and a tight budget.
EzekielOct 18, 2013 11:49 PM

Dec 11, 2013 1:56 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Brilliant series, but I found the lack of ending a bit unsettling to say the least. I hope now to find the series to find out important stuff that happened.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 17, 2013 4:21 PM

May 2008
The incomplete ending really does ruin this anime all thanks to the first episode. 7/10 simply because it's different than the usual anime out there. The crazy old man was truly the entertainment.
Jan 16, 2014 4:05 AM

Jun 2012
5/10-6/10, Cliffhanger from the first episode killed it, while I liked how they portrayed a lot of the characters and how it showed the realism of that era in Japan, I felt that the anime ended with far too many questions and not enough answers.

What happens to Mie? Does she stay crazy?

How does Fuji lose his arm?

What is the conclusion from episode 1?

Those are just 3 big questions off the top of my head, if I took the time to analyze I could probably find a lot more big questions as to what the hell went on.

Was a solid 7-8/10 till the ending, ending left me with a sour taste, so I'd give it a 5/10

Serial lurker
Jan 16, 2014 10:13 AM

Sep 2011
its a shame that this is incomplete, none the less this series while at times was trying a bit too hard to be edgy or gross out still told a really interesting story of betrayal, revenge, and bloodlust, it had a cool atmosphere and how it handled its fights were quite unique

7/10

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 22, 2014 9:12 PM

Dec 2011
I love it up until the last episode. The last episode was good if it wasnt the end. Did they stopped the anime or thats the end? So many unaswered questions and you build up for that epic fight just to not show it.
I guess i will stick with mangas as always from now on....
Never ending nightmare!
Mar 22, 2014 9:28 PM

Dec 2011
The reason i am not satisfied is because they didnt even told us how he lost his arm. Not telling the result of the final battle isnt that bad. Because none of them is the "bad" guy, so it just lets you decide. But at least show the scene and cut right before they hit each other :/
Never ending nightmare!
Apr 15, 2014 4:02 AM

Jan 2013
Wheres the continuation from the first episode?!! Anyway, solid series overall...
Jul 17, 2014 2:00 PM

May 2012
Crazy ending I must say, really loved the overall epic yet disturbing anime, but in general it was really amazing! All in all a pretty good anime!
Sep 21, 2014 4:29 AM
Jul 2018
Ayame0126 said:

Interesting, the mighty Kogan was defeated because he let his guard down when his daughter appeared.

There were two swords; one was shorter than the other - the longer was thrown at the ground in an attempt to injure Irako's feet, while the shorter was used by Kogan in his Nagareboshi.

Reason? Unknown. Haven't digged too much into it.
Nov 25, 2014 9:14 PM

May 2014
I highly doubt they'd continue the series, just like how Berserk hasn't been adapted past the Golden Age arc so far. There's way too much graphic/disturbing content (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though I will admit it was testing my limits).

If you had Terra Formars style censorship in the continuation, you'd be seeing entire black screens for a long time.

It's a lose-lose situation. Censor or cut content, and you lose the hardliner fanbase. Show that stuff, and you will gross newcomers out. The manga has a niche fanbase, and odds are their revenue estimates didn't justify production. In the end, money talks.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Feb 16, 2015 6:48 PM

Jun 2014
This series required much more attention than I was willing to invest. Things moved too slow. Not enough questions answered. This wouldve been better if it were just a movie. 5/10
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Dec 3, 2007

52 by xoxondudi »»
Mar 11, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 3 Discussion

zq - Sep 4, 2007

48 by xoxondudi »»
Mar 11, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

_edge_ - Oct 25, 2007

56 by JustBlve »»
Oct 8, 2023 2:35 PM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MistaNight - Jul 15, 2007

69 by JustBlve »»
Oct 7, 2023 5:58 PM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 11 Discussion

cyruz - Jan 30, 2008

23 by almightybismarck »»
Aug 5, 2023 7:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.