Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (124) « First ... « 118 119 [120] 121 122 » ... Last »
Dec 10, 2018 6:02 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Riqueplast said:
Hey people on the challenge,
I did watch lots of animes during and after "The Darkness" (the time MAL was offline) ;)
But since we were unable to update, I lost track of them. And even after that, I was kinda unmotivated to do so. This week I'm trying to update my list but I want to know how did you deal with that?

Once I realized MAL wasn't coming back anytime soon, I used the waybackmachine to pull up an older version of my entries, put these in a notepad document, and updated from there. By the time MAL went up I just had to insert the dates I had recorded.

As for being unmotivated, I feel you. When MAL went down I was right in the middle of watching something I found a pain to get through and now I have to rush to get my stuff done.
Thinking about stepping down a lv. I'll try for a few more days but if I'm unable to get any progress I'll submit as is.
Dec 10, 2018 6:21 PM

May 2009
Riqueplast said:
Hey people on the challenge,
I did watch lots of animes during and after "The Darkness" (the time MAL was offline) ;)
But since we were unable to update, I lost track of them. And even after that, I was kinda unmotivated to do so. This week I'm trying to update my list but I want to know how did you deal with that?

I have an account on AniList so while MAL was down I was watching and updating my stuff as usual on there. And when MAL came back I just added the anime I had watched meanwhile. Oh but luckily back in January I had decided to save my sign-up form in notepad so I didn't have problems remembering what I planned to watch while the website was down.
Dec 11, 2018 8:38 AM

May 2011
For Item 43 (Watch an anime with a voice actor that worked on 5 or less anime), does the voice actor need to have been in the voice acting role for the anime in question, or are they allowed to be in other staff positions, while having voice acted for other anime?
For example, I'm looking at Maho Tomito for her role in Kamichu!, where she sang the OP, but did not act for any characters in the show. She has a voice acting role for Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight, but I'm already using that title for another item and can't double up, of course.
Dec 11, 2018 8:36 PM

Apr 2014
Gekkouta said:
For Item 43 (Watch an anime with a voice actor that worked on 5 or less anime), does the voice actor need to have been in the voice acting role for the anime in question, or are they allowed to be in other staff positions, while having voice acted for other anime?
For example, I'm looking at Maho Tomito for her role in Kamichu!, where she sang the OP, but did not act for any characters in the show. She has a voice acting role for Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight, but I'm already using that title for another item and can't double up, of course.

No, that wouldn't be valid. The voice actor in question needs to be voicing a role in the anime you are using.

Good Lord, BeanChagBear just walked through the clubhouse walking perfectly normally.
He said he had “no time” to talk.
Too busy watching anime, evidently.
Dec 11, 2018 10:43 PM

Feb 2008
Now that it's getting down to the end of the challenge, I've got a question: is the turn-in for the 24th the beginning of the day or the end of the day? I'm assuming the end (23:59 PST), but I thought I'd make sure anyways. Might be a bit of a silly question in hindsight.
tumblr is shawoltae!
Dec 12, 2018 1:36 PM

Apr 2014
snovieanime210 said:
Now that it's getting down to the end of the challenge, I've got a question: is the turn-in for the 24th the beginning of the day or the end of the day? I'm assuming the end (23:59 PST), but I thought I'd make sure anyways. Might be a bit of a silly question in hindsight.

You are correct in that assumption. 23:59 PST on the 24th is the official deadline. Unofficially, the deadline is whenever the thread gets locked and it may stay open a bit into the 25th. It's probably better to turn in well before that if you wanna make sure though.

Good Lord, BeanChagBear just walked through the clubhouse walking perfectly normally.
Dec 12, 2018 2:20 PM

Feb 2008
BeanChagBear said:
snovieanime210 said:

You are correct in that assumption. 23:59 PST on the 24th is the official deadline. Unofficially, the deadline is whenever the thread gets locked and it may stay open a bit into the 25th. It's probably better to turn in well before that if you wanna make sure though.

Thanks! I'm hoping to turn it in before the 24th, but we'll see... haha.
tumblr is shawoltae!
Dec 13, 2018 4:50 AM

Dec 2017
Can a challenge staff member recommended me an anime to watch for my very last minute attempt for the watch challenge?
Dec 13, 2018 9:28 AM
āœØ a lil bean āœØ

Feb 2011
Schlopsi said:
(20) Watch an anime with at least one human child as a main character:

I'd appreciate a short recommendation due to limited time available. Please no specials, etc. belonging to series I haven't seen yet. Thanks! ~

went to check briefly your PTW, there you have a shorter one that seems valid
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9782/Norageki
using https://myanimelist.net/character/42732/Ota_Onna

įƒ¦ HiScore įƒ¦ LoScore įƒ¦ Auction

įƒ¦ Turn-Ins įƒ¦ AWCc

į“šį˜į—¢

Dec 13, 2018 9:29 AM

Jan 2017
[re-post]

Hello Everyone!

We will be taking suggestions regarding the 2019 MAL Anime/Manga Challenge. The suggestions are for either new items for the challenge list or removal of existing ones, plus a few extra things. If you would like to make any, please complete this form.

Thanks!
Dec 13, 2018 12:03 PM

Apr 2011
@fuyuki @Nurguburu

thanks for recs :3

and i just watched Tokyo Godfathers tho for different task and totally agree that it's perfect for xmas mood :D
Dec 13, 2018 4:19 PM

Dec 2017
can a challenge staff member recommend me an anime to watch for my last minute attempt of the watch challenge?
Dec 13, 2018 7:50 PM

Apr 2014
arctic-owl said:
can a challenge staff member recommend me an anime to watch for my last minute attempt of the watch challenge?

I am unable to access your list to be able to see what you have watched so here are a few of my favorites that you might not have seen.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/20583/Haikyuu
https://myanimelist.net/anime/13601/Psycho-Pass
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9289/Hanasaku_Iroha
https://myanimelist.net/anime/329/Planetes
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1818/Claymore

Dec 13, 2018 11:56 PM

Dec 2015
Question for an admin: For Anime Challenge Entry 61 (Watch an anime that mainly takes place outside of Japan, but still on Earth), will Kekkai Sensen & Beyond work for this entry?
Dec 14, 2018 4:00 AM

Dec 2017
BeanChagBear said:
arctic-owl said:

I am unable to access your list to be able to see what you have watched so here are a few of my favorites that you might not have seen.

Thank you very much, Psycho-Pass looks interesting.

I don't really know how to correctly format this in my challenge list though
Dec 14, 2018 4:34 AM

Apr 2014
hai_X_is said:
Question for an admin: For Anime Challenge Entry 61 (Watch an anime that mainly takes place outside of Japan, but still on Earth), will Kekkai Sensen & Beyond work for this entry?

Yes, it is confirmed to be valid.

arctic-owl said:
BeanChagBear said:

Thank you very much, Psycho-Pass looks interesting.

I don't really know how to correctly format this in my challenge list though

Most people go with new line after item and some use a separator like a vertical line ( | ).

(102) Watch an anime recommended to you by a challenge staff member: Psycho-Pass
[Link to recommendation]
or
(102) Watch an anime recommended to you by a challenge staff member: Psycho-Pass | [Link]

Dec 15, 2018 10:04 AM

Aug 2018
So, I've had my form checked and it seems I'm going to need a couple more recommendations.

• (56) Watch a completed anime which 0 members have favorited
  • (60) Watch an anime with a human main character that is not Japanese
  • (61) Watch an anime that mainly takes places outside of Japan, but still on Earth
  • (85) Watch an anime with 30 minutes or more per episode

š‘ŗš’š’†š’†š’‘ š’Šš’” š’ˆš’š’š’…, š’…š’†š’‚š’•š’‰ š’Šš’” š’ƒš’†š’•š’•š’†š’“; š’ƒš’–š’• š’š’‡ š’„š’š’–š’“š’”š’†,
š’•š’‰š’† š’ƒš’†š’”š’• š’•š’‰š’Šš’š’ˆ š’˜š’š’–š’š’… š’•š’ š’‰š’‚š’—š’† š’š’†š’—š’†š’“ š’ƒš’†š’†š’ š’ƒš’š’“š’ š’‚š’• š’‚š’š’.
Dec 15, 2018 1:24 PM

Apr 2014
ROTRUY said:
So, I've had my form checked and it seems I'm going to need a couple more recommendations.

• (56) Watch a completed anime which 0 members have favorited
  • (60) Watch an anime with a human main character that is not Japanese
  • (61) Watch an anime that mainly takes places outside of Japan, but still on Earth
  • (85) Watch an anime with 30 minutes or more per episode

For 60:
Black Lagoon's Revy is Chinese-American.
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken (TV) has an assortment of non-Japanese.

For 61:
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho mostly takes place in Antarctica or on the ocean leading to it.

For 85:
Queen Emeraldas is what I used.

Try checking some of the forms others have already turned in if you want more inspiration.

Dec 15, 2018 2:21 PM

Nov 2016
Hello, can I get some recommendations for "(102) Watch an anime recommended to you by a challenge staff member" please. :)

Dec 16, 2018 1:48 AM

Jul 2014
toxif said:
Hello, can I get some recommendations for "(102) Watch an anime recommended to you by a challenge staff member" please. :)
Video Girl Ai
Iria: Zeiram The Animation
Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster
Sakurada Reset
Dec 16, 2018 6:05 AM

Mar 2013
In regards to the survey: for the question about whether or not we want our lists inspected or not, can you add a third option of "yes, but don't be so shitty about it"? It's not the "formatting and semantics challenge".

Also if you change what items mean from one year to the next, you should probably clarify.
Dec 16, 2018 6:26 AM

Jan 2013
AudioTsunami said:
In regards to the survey: for the question about whether or not we want our lists inspected or not, can you add a third option of "yes, but don't be so shitty about it"? It's not the "formatting and semantics challenge".

Also if you change what items mean from one year to the next, you should probably clarify.
My thoughts. I gave up with correcting my form because they were nitpicking about formatting too much, as if that was the most important thing in the whole challenge.
Dec 16, 2018 6:44 AM

May 2009
AudioTsunami said:

Oh, I agree absolutely. I got a message asking to change my formatting which was completely unclear what had to be changed so I had to ask. On top of that, even staff members formatted their forms in all kinds of ways so I was very confused.
Apparently mine was also hard to read/small letters so I wonder why my red and black small letters are suddenly harder to read than these yellow letters [challenge completed].
deimoscodeDec 16, 2018 9:32 AM
Dec 16, 2018 9:30 AM

Jul 2015
(27) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread: (Can someone recommend me something short? Like less than 13 episodes)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2018 9:44 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
CivilPsycho said:
(27) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread: (Can someone recommend me something short? Like less than 13 episodes)

Jashin-chan Dropkick
Aggretsuko (Netflix ver, should be 10 episodes)
Black Rock Shooter (TV)
Fate/Kaleid Prisma Illya
Hisone & Masotan
Comic Girls
Revue Starlight
Sweetness & Lightning
Magical Girl Raising Project
Isekai Shokudou
Dec 16, 2018 10:52 AM

Jul 2015
Ranacchi said:
CivilPsycho said:

Jashin-chan Dropkick
Aggretsuko (Netflix ver, should be 10 episodes)
Black Rock Shooter (TV)
Fate/Kaleid Prisma Illya
Hisone & Masotan
Comic Girls
Revue Starlight
Sweetness & Lightning
Magical Girl Raising Project
Isekai Shokudou

Thank You!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2018 10:55 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017

No problem, always glad to be able to help a fellow fan
I hope one of 'em is to your liking
Dec 16, 2018 11:04 AM

Jul 2013
I need an anime for #27 Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread

Dec 16, 2018 1:54 PM

Apr 2014
starblazer said:
I need an anime for #27 Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread

Akame ga Kill!
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Hanasaku Iroha
Shokugeki no Souma

Dec 16, 2018 2:09 PM

Jan 2013
starblazer said:
I guess you probably need something short given the fact there's little time left, so here are some movies I recommend:

Kimi no Na wa
Koe no Katachi
Omoide no Marnie
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Tokyo Godfathers
Dec 16, 2018 8:37 PM

Jan 2018
Need help finding Anime for these challenges.

Watch a related anime that aired at least 15 years before/after a previously completed series
Watch a completed anime with more users in "Plan-to-Watch" than "Completed"
Watch an anime that a participant has completed for this challenge
Watch an anime which began airing between 1980 and 1989
Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread
Watch a completed anime scored 4 or less from another challenger who posted on your sign up page

Thanks in Advance :)
AmateretsuuDec 16, 2018 8:54 PM
Dec 16, 2018 8:45 PM

Oct 2015
another year, another failed challenge :p I guess it's time to pick the lowest anime count next time :(
Dec 16, 2018 8:53 PM

Dec 2018
Slicercore said:
Need help finding Anime for these challenges.
Watch a completed anime with more users in "Plan-to-Watch" than "Completed"

Akanesasu Shoujo? Only 21 have completed and 6,848 plan to watch. It's 12 episodes long so it shouldn't be too bad.
Dec 16, 2018 8:54 PM

Jan 2018
Thanks
Dec 16, 2018 8:59 PM

Jan 2018
Can you use the same Anime for multiple challenges
For Example could I use Akanesasu Shoujo
For (53) Watch a completed anime with more users in "Plan-to-Watch" than "Completed" and (27) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread?
Dec 16, 2018 10:59 PM

Apr 2014
AudioTsunami said:

Well often times the reason to nitpick about the formatting is stated in the Turning In section of the challenge sign-up. To be able to go through everyone's' forms after they turn in, it helps a great deal when they all have the same formatting. For the semantics part, I assume you mean how a lot of the items require you to state extra info about how the anime you used qualifies for that item. It's just to hold you accountable and have some way for us to check that it is valid. It is also not fair to allow some forms through and hold back others so we try to hold all forms to the same standards and that's where the formatting and semantics come in.

Hope that helps you understand a bit about the process.

Slicercore said:
Can you use the same Anime for multiple challenges
For Example could I use Akanesasu Shoujo
For (53) Watch a completed anime with more users in "Plan-to-Watch" than "Completed" and (27) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread?

You would not be able to do that. All anime used have to be unique within your challenge. Second seasons and OVAs/Specials work as long as they have separate entries in the database.

Dec 16, 2018 11:37 PM

Mar 2013
@beanchagbear I understand the process because I've helped inspect forms on the Manga side for 2 years. You can inspect forms without being a tool. You can also hold people accountable without being a tool. An example of what I mean by semantics is the "completed anime" items. If you start them as they are airing, they do not count, despite them being completed at time of turn-in. Nowhere is it explicitly stated you must start the anime after it is completed for it to be a completed anime and not just one that is no longer airing. But hey, I've already said everything in the mod discord several times and have been ignored.

My message to people who don't like the way the challenge is being run: use the survey. Say you don't like how the challenge is run. And if it stays the same, don't participate next year. The only thing that the mods look at is participation numbers as to whether or not it was successful.
Dec 17, 2018 12:00 AM

Apr 2014
AudioTsunami said:
@beanchagbear I understand the process because I've helped inspect forms on the Manga side for 2 years. You can inspect forms without being a tool. You can also hold people accountable without being a tool. An example of what I mean by semantics is the "completed anime" items. If you start them as they are airing, they do not count, despite them being completed at time of turn-in. Nowhere is it explicitly stated you must start the anime after it is completed for it to be a completed anime and not just one that is no longer airing. But hey, I've already said everything in the mod discord several times and have been ignored.

Only some items require completed anime because of the nature of the item and those that do specifically state so in the item name. For example:

53. Watch a completed anime with more users in "Plan-to-Watch" than "Completed"

Starting an anime that was still airing for this item would be too easy it would be realistically impossible for there to be more Completed users since they shouldn't be able to complete it. For any other item without the completed anime statement, you can use a currently airing anime as long as it finishes at some point in the year so you can mark it completed for the challenge.

Dec 17, 2018 12:15 AM

Jan 2013
BeanChagBear said:
AudioTsunami said:

Only some items require completed anime because of the nature of the item and those that do specifically state so in the item name. For example:

Starting an anime that was still airing for this item would be too easy it would be realistically impossible for there to be more Completed users since they shouldn't be able to complete it. For any other item without the completed anime statement, you can use a currently airing anime as long as it finishes at some point in the year so you can mark it completed for the challenge.
You're answering like some sort of bot. I see they found right person for the position.
Dec 17, 2018 12:32 AM

Apr 2014
fuyuki said:
BeanChagBear said:

You're answering like some sort of bot. I see they found right person for the position.

Just trying to explain clearly and concisely. It's also for the benefit of any other participant reading who may be curious for answers.

Dec 17, 2018 12:48 AM

Jan 2013
@BeanChagBear You completely ignored the main point though. Not that it surprises me.
Dec 17, 2018 1:01 AM

Apr 2014
fuyuki said:
@BeanChagBear You completely ignored the main point though. Not that it surprises me.

If the main point you are referring to is about nitpicking the formatting and that the more important part of the challenge is watching the anime, then I can agree with that. In the end, the challenge is completely voluntary and participating or not participating in it does not diminish someone's enjoyment of all the anime they can try to watch in a single year. If you want to submit your form with x amount of anime filled in as a personal challenge and then put up a badge that says you completed 2018 AWC, you can do that. In the end, that's what you did, there isn't much point to lying about it. It would be like someone putting that they watched 1,000 anime on MAL that they didn't, just to see Days counter climb.

The inspection process is there for the "hall of fame" type thing with all the users listed out. If you don't care to be there, which I'm sure many don't, then you can ignore all the formatting/semantics silliness. Just challenge yourself to watch anime. It's fun.

Dec 17, 2018 2:01 AM

Jul 2014
AudioTsunami said:
An example of what I mean by semantics is the "completed anime" items. If you start them as they are airing, they do not count, despite them being completed at time of turn-in. Nowhere is it explicitly stated you must start the anime after it is completed for it to be a completed anime and not just one that is no longer airing. But hey, I've already said everything in the mod discord several times and have been ignored.
Well, I agree with this one. Way too often I find participants watching seasonal anime for those items. I think it should be changed to "Watch an anime that has already finished airing ...".

I will suggest (and support) the change once I get home from work (unless someone else suggests it first :-P).
Dec 17, 2018 2:34 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
After reading this I have two questions

1. You can use anime airing the year of the challenge, but not when it says you need a "completed" anime?
2. What is the recommended formatting for submitting "longer" (50+) entries? (preferably with link)
Dec 17, 2018 4:25 AM

Mar 2013
1. Yes. You can even use airing anime for the "completed" items as long as you start it *after* it's completed airing. This was not explained and it was a change from the previous 3 years. For example, if you want to use Asobi Asobase for "Watch a completed anime with a score of or above 8.00", you'd had to have waited until September 23rd to start it. If you started it September 22nd, you didn't apparently adhere to the rule's and needed to use a different series for that item. For the years prior, as long as it was completed by turn-in, it was fine. So basically all the word completed meant was "not eligible for the submit while it''s airing rules". It's just little stuff like that which makes it feel unnecessarily bureaucratic. More like work than fun. Etc.

2. One of the best changes Shey and Tsuyo made was to give participants a pre-made sheet this year. My personal preference is DO NOT MAKE CHANGES TO THE SHEET WE GIVE YOU. That's why we gave it to you. Changing the color key is fine(I like using green for complete instead of watching), outside of that I'm immediately annoyed when I'm looking over a form.

@ranacchi
AudioTsunamiDec 17, 2018 6:05 AM
Dec 17, 2018 4:53 AM

Mar 2013
BeanChagBear said:
AudioTsunami said:

It was an example. The point was more that it was unclear and unexplained. Each item having a paragraph of fine print is a different but also incredibly silly feature of the challenge that creates unnecessary confusion.

Why does difficulty matter? Firstly, many of the items that have that unexplained clause in it are in the "Level 1 - Casual" section. Secondly, making the challenge as arduous as possible goes against the original and advertised spirit of the event. It's advertised in the announcements by Kineta as a fun community event to bring people together and broaden people's horizons of stuff they watch. The culture of making it unnecessarily difficult and a chore to turn in came after that; mostly due to it being connect with the Anime Watching Challenge Club. If the intended goal is to be fun and inclusive, I would say that the mark has been well and truly missed
Dec 17, 2018 4:56 AM

Mar 2013
Post 6084 is too silly to even go into, to be honest. Oh I should change my badge to a 2018 Manga badge. My b.
Dec 17, 2018 5:38 AM

Mar 2013
Also more on formatting/nitpicking before I forget. Complaining about it is not because I disagree that it makes it much easier to check sheets. I'd actually think it made sense if you had clear format guidelines and did not look over forms until they adhered to them. The issue is that the team looks over the poorly formatted form, confirms each item is completed, then sends back a detailed response saying that I need to make 15-20 minutes worth of formatting changes to be accepted, when after its been checked, the formatting is no longer important because nobody is going to look at it again. And it's all in the name of "saving time", when really you wasted it by checking the items in the bad formatting then wasted my time to change the formatting that is now irrelevant, than wasted more of your own time re-checking my re-formatted sheet that didn't need to be re-formatted in the first place because you already verified that easy item was correctly completed and after that point, the formatting is unnecessary.

~~~

The tl;Dr of my posts.

1. Items should be worded better and clarified if you're bound and determined to putting fine print on each item. This goes double on items that's conditions change in a given year

2. Needless overpolicing and obsession with difficulty is at odds with the original and advertised goal of this site-wide challenge. One of few community wide events, for that matter.

3. The things that are being done in the name of efficiency are done in a way that actually makes the entire process both exponentially less efficient and contributes to point 2.

AudioTsunamiDec 17, 2018 6:04 AM
Dec 17, 2018 6:07 AM

Mar 2013
Honobono log, bakemono no ko, kikis delivery service
@crisisblade
Dec 17, 2018 7:18 AM

Sep 2009
For #58, is "middle aged" (äø­å¹“) character description enough to be considered adult?
Geek & AniOta
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (124) « First ... « 118 119 [120] 121 122 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why won't you finish that anime you liked but left unfinished?

perseii - Yesterday

22 by laymey »»
8 minutes ago

» Animes you wish had dubs?

Mattenan - Yesterday

29 by Saputrai »»
17 minutes ago

» Troll the audience episodes

TheBlockernator - 1 hour ago

6 by inim »»
21 minutes ago

» I don't understand why shoujo is so much more shunned than all other demographics. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fario-P - Apr 27, 2023

315 by terralia »»
22 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1167 by 2Trace-Rail9 »»
28 minutes ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.