Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 5, 2018 2:50 AM
Jul 2018
GIRAFFE DON'T DO THIS TO ME

Anyway this episode and this show in general were beautiful. I'm going to miss it.
Oct 5, 2018 9:37 PM

May 2015
Whew. This was visually captivating -- Furukawa is embracing Ikuhara's style and developing it to make it his own. Furakawa uses a lot of wide shots, chiaroscuro (fitting since it does focuses on theater) and primary colors (usually to indicate a character in focus). I love the music. I really hope the Revue cast comes to AX to perform.

This video sums up my appreciation towards the themes presented in Revue Starlight. The first half of each episode really provides context and reason why these characters fight for position zero.

I guess it's time for me to finish Mawaru Penguindrum and Symphogear haha.
RoseVueOct 5, 2018 9:58 PM
Oct 6, 2018 4:15 PM

Feb 2013
7/10 (good)
The surprise of the season. I really enjoyed this one. (I'm a sucker for singing + action)
Best girl: Juuna

This final episode I thought was a fitting end for the telling of "Starlight" throughout the entire series.

Edit: I'm surprised how much MAL liked this...
Oct 16, 2018 7:58 AM

Jul 2015
Ahhhhh that was nice. I didn't quite understand everything going on but I loved this anime. Actually I think in the end, I just loved the new voices the most, I just really enjoyed hearing some new girls with very distinct voices. On top of that, everything was just very well done in my opinion, I mean, it was pretty cliche, and the looping timeline thing kind of came out of nowhere to me but I seriously don't care, I loved it anyway.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 21, 2018 8:56 PM

Jul 2016
This anime sure was a good watch. I really enjoyed it until ep. 9 or so. But since neither Karen nor Hikari were of my liking, these last episodes were just ok. Not that I disliked them or anything. It's just that I wasn't as invested in them as I would have liked.

Overall, it was a nice experience. The performances were great and the insert songs they used were nice as well. I liked mostly all the characters and their respective motivations to be on stage were both interesting and appealing.

In the end, I really enjoyed this show and due to its not so typical story, it was really pleasant to have given it a chance.
Nov 3, 2018 3:11 PM

May 2012
Pretty damn solid ending if you ask me, this series was a whole lot more enjoying than what I first expecting this series to be. With that very unreal way of auditions and interesting character development it sure gave it an interesting and unique spring.

All in all I quite enjoyed watching this to be honest!
Nov 8, 2018 7:26 PM

Apr 2014
tbh this series i really did love it at first but then at a certain point the series just took a really stupid turn and just got really dumb and predictable as i said it would be

not to mention what was even worst was the main 2 characters themselves smh

only thing i can really say is at least it ended as expected and as best it could though even the ending was dumb

but i am glad its over... was in to deep to just drop it

but in the end was such a waste
"one step at a time"
Dec 13, 2018 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
Can this come user Should Ai?
Dec 15, 2018 2:56 AM

Jan 2013
Well this show was a clusterfuck.

The characters are barely more interesting than cardboard cut-outs, and the fights are total dogshit. Top that with bad songs and you've got a pretty bad anime.

The most enjoyable thing was the fucking giraffe.
Feb 2, 2019 10:48 AM

Mar 2010
This was disappointing and wasted potential.

Episodes 1-2 were interesting enough that I wanted to watch more. Episodes 3-5 got me hooked. Episodes 6-10 were incredible and the tone got serious and then episodes 11 and 12 came and were like "We know we set this up like a mature story but we're just going to sweep that off the table because we want a 100% happy ending,"

We got beaten over our heads over and over that Starlight was a tragedy. Then there was a clear connection established between Starlight and the story of the anime. Hikari and Karen were implied to be Flora and Claire whose story ended in tragedy. Everything was gearing up for a grand finale and bittersweet ending.

And then bam, the story gets flushed down a toilet, we have an episode of Karen crying which could have and should have lasted less than 5 minutes. Seriously, why didn't she bother to check the Starlight stage? Not even after the cop asked where she saw her last? There is only so much dumb that can be forgiven in a character.

After the crying episode we have an episode where... stuff happens and it's supposed to be deep. What did the characters learn? Hikari and Karen stayed literally the same since their childhood. Their goal, to stand on a stage together, got fulfilled. And it was given for free.

There was literally no struggle anywhere on screen, Karen and Hikari simply beat everyone, Karen beat Hikari because screw the rules and their literally rewrote their own story to get a happy ending. Story over.

It started good, got amazing and then it just went full cliche and dull because I suppose the writers didn't know what to do with the story they build. So they made one non-sensical sob episode where Karen acted like utterly mentally handicapped and then just concluded the story with "And so Karen went and saved her. The end."

It's a pity. 7/10
Feb 2, 2019 10:37 PM

Apr 2012
They may never make me president, but I got the best first ladies! Sometimes as far as the eye can see, whoo wee!
Feb 13, 2019 5:52 AM
Jul 2018
Oh what a finale! Shoujo Kagegi gave me the same feelings I had, when I watched Madoka Magica for the first time.
Madoka and Homura should end like Karen and Hikari.
How could I have skipped this anime?? Thanks to underthescope I found this anime, now it's one of my favourites.
Mar 3, 2019 3:20 PM

Jun 2014
Well this was absolutely worthless. It was great at being slow and pretentious. 1/10
:3
Apr 2, 2019 1:38 PM
Jul 2015
alpha_shadow said:
Well this was absolutely worthless. It was great at being slow and pretentious. 1/10

The trigun signature is the icing on the cake to this post.
Apr 8, 2019 1:48 PM

Feb 2015
This show was beautiful *wipes tear*

Though I wish they focused abit more on the other girls especially Banana... it's almost like they forgot her after episode 7... oh and the re-make/transformation scene... I wish it wasn't exclusive to Karen but oh well...

わかります!
Jun 17, 2019 2:58 PM
Mar 2015
After the performance I have a hankering for giraffe steak
Jun 22, 2019 3:18 PM

Jul 2016
If the pillar meant nothing according to Hikari and was just bait for the girls then why did the top star at the British academy perform even better winning her own audition?
All you can hope for in your worldview is consistency
Aug 6, 2019 2:50 AM

Apr 2019
hidden gems.....
this show surpassed my expectation of music anime, with a unique, strong, and impressive of soundtracks and storytelling. OUTSTANDING 10/10 <3

great execution, great anime at all ^.^
MOE POWERRR !!!

Aug 26, 2019 10:47 AM
Feb 2016
Love the show but can’t get 10/10 from me. I’ve lost count how many times karen says “hikari-chan”. Well a good anime,nice action animation, just flat characters have their own development but couldn’t get me invest enough on each of them especially karen since they focus on karen and hikari. Pretty much the same as other idol anime but with some action and slightly dark theme but good message they gave us. 7/10 for me bcos i enjoy this quite a bit. The songs are pretty great and hell yeah no cg what makes this show better compare to other idol anime.
Oct 9, 2019 12:48 PM

Nov 2018
I'm gonna miss the transformation theme song.
Did Kirin just break the 4th wall. Now that I care about him trying to act all knowing like that.
Karen loses and then wins against Hikari with persistence.
And they act as Flora and Claire, nice. They were very fitting for it.
Good anime. Ending could be more fulfilled but oh well.
Oct 12, 2019 5:08 PM

Dec 2009
I finished rewatching this yet again and felt dropping some comments and resources for people who want to hear and know more about this unique anime.

GenesisAria said:
I could sit here typing like a maniac and giving people walls of text to suffer through, but there are actually a ton of videos that combined cover basically everything there is to be said. That is not to say there is not much to say, there is LOADS to say, but there are so many intelligent people assessing and digging out all of it's nuances and aspects. While many stories, you can read all kind of themes and ideas that were not purposely written into it, however in this case that was the entire intention, to weave a deep and nuanced narrative that you can get limitless narrative from. Also, when talking about Takarazuka Revue, it's important to know that lesbianism is a significant factor in the metatextual.

playlist from above for episodic: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3K1-n0kzlFkf76pDadhTXsE8HkzZsBCc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takarazuka_Revue

When i watched this anime, and learned about Takarazuka Revue, it taught me a lot about entertainment media in japan. It is especially relevant in the present world, where AKB48, was the new age Takarazuka. The existence of modern idol groups populated by girls, was spearheaded by the success of AKB48, which was created very much in Takarazuka Revue's image. The parallels between these two theatre cultures are countless. I had watched the anime AKB0048 back when it aired, fascinated by the bizarre cultural concepts presented within it, but upon watching Revue Starlight, it really empowered my understanding of it all even further, by knowing the source of the concepts (including competition for position 0), and the long history behind it.

An amazing album of cosplay: https://imgur.com/a/2bEzkMo

Overall response to this anime:

GenesisAriaOct 13, 2019 11:24 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 24, 2019 2:35 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really good animation and OST, the fight scenes were well made and concept is kind of original, but horrible characters are killing the anime : 5/10
Aug 17, 2020 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
Average anime, first few episodes were okay but after the banaloop episode, there were some inconsistencies in the plot specifically about Karen entering the auditions when she shouldn't have been. The giraffe should have included Karen in the audition together with the new addition (Hikari) since she was always in the auditions despite ranking last everytime, yet Giraffe didn't include her at first in this loop-breaking timeline. Why is that? Why was Giraffe wondering why she wasn't included at first? It's a little hard to explain the inconsistency clearly here, just that I think it breaks the flow a little. There are other tiny inconsistencies here and there but this is the one I remember being most concerned about.

Giraffe's 4th wall breaking was nice. Last episode felt extremely drawn out. I feel like Karen could have come up with some motivation to clash against Hikari after falling into the water from last episode and the way the final battle plays out could still be the same as what we see in this episode. Song-wise, apart from the opening, all the other songs doesn't sound as good to me (maybe I just don't like these stageplay-type songs).

Dec 27, 2020 7:04 PM

Mar 2016
Felt hollow and pointless. I liked the episode that focused on Mahiru a lot, because it addressed the issue I have with these kinds of shows: characters who are way too dependent on another person. The episode that followed it was good too, though it did the opposite. After that my interest slowly diminished as the anime seemed to try and do too much with characters that weren't fit for it. The Banana episode should have been interesting. It was the perfect chance for the anime to mesh the more fantastical and surreal elements with the everyday-life feeling inside the school. Instead, it was awkwardly paced and quickly forgotten even though it was supposed to introduce a general idea to the story. Ironic, since the tedium of repeating the same scenes over and over again to avoid tragedy is the focus of that episode, yet we get the ending we get, where everything is made to be as perfect as possible.

Overall, just lots of jumping around on stage and melodrama about promises and shining that I don't care about. Disappointing.

Maya is best girl.
syncrogazerDec 27, 2020 7:20 PM
Feb 5, 2021 8:19 PM

May 2020
This was a pretty god show. From what I've seen, the direction and symbolism in this show definitely offers a deeper experience but I don't care enough about it to appreciate it at more than a surface level.

This episode was fine. Hikari and Karen are my least favourite characters in this series and their struggles just did not resonate with me. Somehow I feel like there was a deeper meaning to this episode but I don't care enough to find it.

To be honest, I did not expect to like this as much as I did. I'm not huge fan singing, dancing or theatre. The only reason I watched this is because I watched one of Gigguk's videos, where he mentioned that this show had a talking giraffe. That's it. I just came here for the talking giraffe and along the way I found an enjoyable show filled with a lot of characters I liked and a decent story.

Bana-nice/10.
May 13, 2021 12:04 AM

Feb 2020
This was a pretty good and unique anime. Beautiful animation, cool battle scenes with fitting OST. The character chemistry was also great.

SerafosDec 23, 2023 3:38 AM
Dec 29, 2021 2:21 AM

Jun 2021
Expected ending in hindsight (even if i wasn't waiting any more for the previously teased final battle Karen vs Hikari) but at least everyone's happy. 4th wall breaking giraffe was a nice idea.
Overall, 8/10.
Apr 23, 2022 5:29 AM

Feb 2020
Well, that was pretty good, but very disappointing. In the end the show was mainly about Karen and Hikari, which was expected from the beginning, but is so frustrating when this dynamic has been overdone and the side characters are so much more interesting.
Banana, Maya, Claudia, and to an extent Juuna, all had potential to be great characters, but they've been overshadowed by the power of friendship. That's annoying.

I just feel like everything the other characters went through didn't matter much in the end (especially Nana, the twist literally didn't serve any purpose and she just went back to her normal life as if nothing happened). And not just that but as I already said, I lost interest as soon as I realized that each win would be forced and undeserved.
Well at least Hikari is somewhat interesting even if she added nothing to the "aloof girl" archetype, but Karen... There barely was anything that was remotely interesting about her, and not just that, but she also displayed a very selfish attitude throughout the show without it being ever pointed out (I'm still mad at how she treated Mahiru).
I don't dislike her, I kinda like her actually, but she didn't deserve to be the main heroine.

And overall, I'm just very disappointed and even slightly angry at how the show kept addressing deep and relatable issues the characters could encounter, and then solved those issues within the span of one episode in a very superficial manner. Typical dynamic in the show : character X has an issue, character X is sent to the Revue, character X has to fight Karen, Karen is about to lose, Karen screams about how she made a promess with Hikari, Karen wins thanks to main character syndrom, character X has a sudden revelation and is pushed to the side by the start of the next episode because her development is over. Okay it didn't go exactly like that for each character but overall that's more or less what happened. And that's frustrating.

This show isn't bad, it did some things very well (mostly the art direction that is awesome during Revues), the characters are likable and some of them, as I said, are very interesting and would've been awesome if given more screentime, the show overall is very ambitious... But it feels superficial. I mean, it even tried to add a real story but left things totally unexplained. Symbolism is good, but not like that.

So I give this show a 6/10, very nice but seriously lacking in too many departments. I just hope the movie will be better, it has a good rating after all. I know it doesn't mean much but still.

And one last thing : if you're ever looking for a show adressing similar themes about acting, insecurities and relationships in a much better way, check out Kageki Shoujo. On the surface it's not as ambitious (the setting is totally realistic so no epic fights and no giraffe) but it is handling things in a much deeper manner, not to mention the main heroine is pretty much everything Karen should've been, and she's awesome.

Edit : Oh wait, i forgot but I really wanted to point that out : I tried not to cringe too much at Claudia's (and later Maya's) french, but I coudln't overlook that line :

I'm not gonna say exactly how it can be translated but let's just say you can't innocently say that to someone and I laughed a bit too hard.
FafetteApr 23, 2022 5:44 AM
May 20, 2022 6:04 AM

Dec 2020
I loved the animation from start to end. The battles and the transformation outfit scene is where it really shone.

However while the whole weird alternate stage/world thing caught my attention at first. It really was just there for all stage girls to hash out their problems and represent how going for the top you have to take others "light and shine". In which case it follows more of the standard route of other idol shows but shown more beautifully.
Jul 1, 2022 4:55 PM
May 2022
I loved the animation the entire time... but I didn't particularly like the ending. Each of the big plot points like discovering the secret auditions, the time loop, and the ending were super cool at the start... but then it seemed they didn't really know what they were gonna do with the plot and nothing impactful came out of each plot point. Nana time loops... cool. Let's have Hikari show up and make her stop suddenly. She cries about it, the end.
I feel they should have done more with the story... but I still enjoyed it.
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Apr 9, 2023 12:51 AM
Des31

Oct 2020
Not to enjoyable to watch for me, maybe because having a high expectations of this anime make me feel it will be great but it was just so so, the story is a little bland very few plot that made it exciting and it made me feel like a wasting time to watch, well 6-7/10 for me atleast
May 7, 2023 8:09 AM
May 2023
This anime is so underrated, every single episode blew my mind. It truly deserves to have a bigger fandom.
May 17, 2023 2:29 PM
Mar 2022
Dude!! only Karen has the transformation sequence!!
May 27, 2023 11:06 PM
Aug 2016
Best mahou shoujo of all time!!!!
Jun 19, 2023 5:44 PM

Jan 2020
Welp, I really liked it, but I feel like something was missing so it stays at a 9/10. 8/10

Anyway, I have seen some people comparing this to Utena or that it's something Ikuhara-like... Yet... I really did not feel these vibes much to be honest.

EDIT: Thinking about it better. Most characters felt really shallow, that's what it missed.
eblf2013Jun 19, 2023 5:56 PM

MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Sep 19, 2023 8:59 AM
Jan 2022
anime goat. Best anime
Nov 25, 2023 5:09 PM
Nov 2023
Crying over the ending I love it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2018

33 by splatongus »»
Jul 4, 7:05 PM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 1 Discussion

EGOIST - Aug 8, 2018

28 by mo_lave »»
May 15, 9:00 PM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2018

27 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 25, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2018

49 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2018

87 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.