Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 18, 2018 11:09 AM

Apr 2016
Major_Gilbert said:
joshua10red said:
Another great episode...So Gilbert is dead :( When I think of the moment when Violet will know and will learn what his words meant :( :(

Whoa so many hate it (definitely FMA fans who try to prevent this anime to take 1st place)

Just because they say he's gone doesn't necessarily mean he's dead.

You are right...but his face was so sad when he said that :( ..I had the feeling that he was about to cry

Jan 18, 2018 11:12 AM
Nov 2016
The show is so impressive visually and eventhough we don't have the plot hook into Violet's past yet, it feels like we will get one soon. I actually like this kind of story telling as opposed to plot heavy from the get go ones.

I can see why people were complaining about the blur effects being distracting. They really affect the viewing experience especially during scenes with low lighting. I love Catteleya and her chemistry with Hodgins.
Jan 18, 2018 11:28 AM

Oct 2010
So does Violet intentionally have aspergers or are those characteristics just a huge coincidence? I have aspergers and she matches the big requirements pretty strongly.

<---might not be a spoiler. Just assuming.
Jan 18, 2018 11:31 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Absolutely gorgeous art. Eye candy of the highest magnitude. But the story is failing to engage (and no, I did not expect any war/action/edginess of any kind. I came into this series blind). It seems to me that the moment we find out what happened to the major, all dramatic tension will leave the story.

I do hope I'm wrong and the series surprises me and there's twists and interesting plotlines up ahead.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 18, 2018 11:32 AM

Oct 2010
GreenEmu said:
I blame the trailers Kyoani put out giving people the wrong expectations, but people need to realize that this show is a drama/romance show. And as a result it's going to be slow paced and boring for some people. Like many have said, the sheer amount of hype this show was getting was bound to lead to a backlash. But at this point some of the complaints are just silly.

I blame people for not paying attention to the trailers beyond the flashy animation, then. The trailers told me exactly that this will be a emotional drama more than anything. They did a great job if people actually looked at them.
Jan 18, 2018 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
Well, I thought episode two was significantly better than the first one.
:3
Jan 18, 2018 11:47 AM

Apr 2016
joshua10red said:
Major_Gilbert said:

Just because they say he's gone doesn't necessarily mean he's dead.

You are right...but his face was so sad when he said that :( ..I had the feeling that he was about to cry

Rather, I'd say he was annoyed... If you get what I mean...

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 18, 2018 12:02 PM

Apr 2016
Major_Gilbert said:
joshua10red said:

Hmmm interesting.. We know that Gilbert loves Violet, and she loves him back, but she doesn't know that the feeling she feels is love.. I kinda have the feeling that Hodgins likes Violet.. So if Gilbert is still alive, Hodgins is annoyed cause he doesn't have a chance to be with Violet... Aaaaaaaa i can't take it anymore... I want the new episode now

Jan 18, 2018 12:18 PM
Jul 2009
HeroVladimir93 said:
The main story of this episode, and possibly of the entire series, is that Violet doesn't understand the subtleness and complexities of human emotions that are required for being a Doll

That's okay. The problem is that she wants to work as a doll, and watching her fail at it for 12 episodes won't make an interesting show.
Jan 18, 2018 12:25 PM
Apr 2017
is Gilbert died or alive?
(no problem with spoiler from novel)
Jan 18, 2018 12:37 PM
May 2013
Really enjoyed the episode. Went into the series blind so didn't have any expectations. I find the art/music amazing. Storywise the anime is slow paced but I find that the pacing conveys the emotions better. I genuinely felt bad for Claudia when he talked about the major.
Jan 18, 2018 12:53 PM

Oct 2017
The only problem with this show is how high the expectations around it are. Only overwhelmingly anticipated shows like this one tend to get such absurd scrutiny. It's a fine ass show! Just because you're anticipating the reinvention of the wheel doesn't mean the show is poor thought out or anything like that. I started watching this without really knowing about the hype so I'm extremely curious as to where it's going. The only thing I have against this show so far is that I don't really know much about the characters except the one that is dead from the start.
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 18, 2018 12:54 PM

Jul 2015
I liked but I have to say that yes, the filter on top of the animation is a bit too much. It should be toned down a bit.

Jan 18, 2018 1:07 PM

Jul 2017
rac56 said:

Jan 18, 2018 1:43 PM

Apr 2016
GreenEmu said:
rac56 said:

Dang it I was too late...

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 18, 2018 1:43 PM

Jun 2016
I'm not going to get bogged down in the detail of the show. I am liking it so far and visually you cannot fault it.

I am slightly disappointed by the episode, but let's remember the people who were lucky enough to lose there minds over this series before it aired saw the first 3 episodes. So let's see what happens next week :)

Jan 18, 2018 2:05 PM

Nov 2015
I've been a lot more focused on the filter being used on pretty much every scene in this show and it's a bit distracting. Otherwise, lovely animation...still won't judge fully until the final episode.
Jan 18, 2018 2:14 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
As much as I dislike slow shows, I'm really enjoying my time with this one. I love the world and visuals are gorgeous. Character design is great too, especially that red head that came in.

I figured with her arms and razor sharp focus, Violet would be great at typing. It's too bad that she takes everything too literal, which is ruining the reputation of the company. I felt bad for the red head, despite her being a bit of a gold digger.

Iris is cute, I love me some tomboy. Erica is just as cute too. But Cattleya is on a totally different level; not only is she attractive, she's very smart especially when it comes to people.

I'm really liking Hodgins too. He's a really down to Earth guy. Him spending all of his money to buy back Violet's broach really has me rooting for him now.

I'm surprised at the amount of salt this show is getting so far. I do my best never to buy into the hype, but man this show has been really terrific so far. Sure it's been slow with not a whole lot of progression, but I've liked everything I've seen. I'm thinking things will pick up now that most of the main characters have been introduced.

The two front receptionists are still best girls.
Jan 18, 2018 2:16 PM

Aug 2016
Anyone notice that guy on the bike thing was wearing heels XD

Oh and the episode was ok.
Jan 18, 2018 2:29 PM

Dec 2014
Major_Gilbert said:
joshua10red said:

Dude, stop with the "subtle" spoilers, it's pretty obvious you're saying he's alive. thanks :)

Just̰͙͔͈ͧͣͫͨ́ Mon͓̮͓ͧ̿̅̒͗iͨ̅̇ͤ̑̇͒̚҉̘̪ka͓͕͓̱̯͂͋́͗
Jan 18, 2018 2:30 PM

Sep 2016
Does anyone notice that there's a potential plot hole in the scene where the lady customer asked for a written love letter?

If not for the art this show is a manifestation of 8th grader syndrome.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2018 2:37 PM

Mar 2011
Violet did nothing wrote, she wrote the letter exactly as told
Jan 18, 2018 3:06 PM

Mar 2014
I tend to like drama/romance shows but holy shit this is just so BORING
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 18, 2018 3:10 PM

Jan 2014
Why is Violet so precious. This show is definitely not what I thought it would be, but it's really nice.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 18, 2018 3:18 PM

Oct 2017
Same as episode one,

MC does cringey autist stuff.
People tell her to take off her gloves and go "awww, poor thing."
MC does more cringey autist stuff.
People give her presents.

I knocked a point off for the plot repeat. If this repeats every episode probably be a drop anime.

I thought there would be a war story told in flashbacks, but it’s just a story about a disabled autist girl that everyone gives sympathy and presents.
Jan 18, 2018 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
I liked the story honestly but ironically for me, the over-the-top visuals distracts my concentration even watching with English dub. This story could been animated well enough with low budget (I think of a1-picture) which I prefer it :/

Well another nice episode delivered as expect from Kyo Ani indeed. We got lots of characters introduced in this episode. The setting really confusing me especially of Violet's presence.. well I can sense time travel element

Btw I see lots of hates from this show by certain fans as expected and so I am totally not surprised at all! because they are watching wrong genre anime XD

removed-userJan 18, 2018 3:40 PM
Jan 18, 2018 3:44 PM

May 2015

Khaos2310 said:
Kittens-kun said:
And the hate bandwagon continues. Gotta love MAL.

Can't take negative feedback? Everything you love is wonderful, even to the other? Please.

Anyway, pretty average so far, the first ep is ok, but this one is just meh. Probably come back when this is finished airing so I can get the whole view of the show.

Yeah, that's clearly what I meant. I definitely wasn't talking about the frequent MAL trolls. No, I meant EVERYBODY...

Jan 18, 2018 3:53 PM

Apr 2016
So uh.... did any of you notice the blonde guy wearing high heeled boots when riding his motorcycle.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/199513070282866689/403697274108248067/vlcsnap-2018-01-18-12h56m37s053.png

This is what i get for analyzing a show frame by frame. Is that his boots or the motorcycle?
Jan 18, 2018 3:56 PM

Jul 2016
Dumb question! Violet is human or is a robot?

The answer will determine my entire perspective of the show.
Jan 18, 2018 4:00 PM

Apr 2016
SilverDio said:

Thats a non-question. Of course she's human. What are you actually asking.
Jan 18, 2018 4:09 PM

Nov 2016
Episode was ok nothing more , so far only10/10 thing is visuals but surely that can change.
Jan 18, 2018 4:16 PM

Jan 2013
Why can't this animation go to better shows
Jan 18, 2018 4:21 PM

Jul 2016
MetaDragon said:
SilverDio said:

Dammit, I was expecting her to be a robot. Now I hate the show.
Jan 18, 2018 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
SilverDio said:
MetaDragon said:

You hate the show because your literally impossible (considering the era the show is set in) expectation tried to be untrue? Talk about right
Jan 18, 2018 4:23 PM
Sep 2013
Despite the hate, I personally enjoyed this episode...or maybe i just really love admiring beautiful animation for 20 minutes. Pacing was a bit slower this ep so it definitely wouldn't hurt if kyoani picked it up imo

well, im still excited to see what happens next cause I feel like the characters will get some really nice development and the story will go some interesting places so let's see what they bring next week.
Jan 18, 2018 4:27 PM

Jul 2016
Klad said:
SilverDio said:

You hate the show because your literally impossible (considering the era the show is set in) expectation tried to be untrue? Talk about right

Well, I hate it because I can't believe a character as dull as Violet can be human. I thought she must be a kinda of some high tech robot, we don't know much about the world of the show so I thought it could be possible.
Jan 18, 2018 4:30 PM

Jan 2013
SilverDio said:
Klad said:

Well, I hate it because I can't believe a character as dull as Violet can be human. I thought she must be a kinda of some high tech robot, we don't know much about the world of the show so I thought it could be possible.
Well, give the show time to tell more about her past. As far as we know or see, she's got PTSD from the war she's partook. It may be exaggerated, but you get the gist
Jan 18, 2018 4:35 PM

Sep 2017
Absolutely gorgeous. I got a chills during a few of those scenes. Hodgins basically confirms the majors death, even tho it was pretty obvious to the viewer. Seems like he doesn't want to tell Violet as she doesn't really understand emotions and basically only lived to serve him, so who knows how she would act if she knew he was gone forever.
Jan 18, 2018 4:37 PM

Jul 2016
Klad said:
SilverDio said:

Well, give the show time to tell more about her past. As far as we know or see, she's got PTSD from the war she's partook. It may be exaggerated, but you get the gist

Yeah, I can understand that. I got the same problem with Chise form Mahou Tsukai, but his backstory explained it.
Jan 18, 2018 4:48 PM

Apr 2016
SilverDio said:
Klad said:

You've never seen a child soldier then. They act pretty bad. Did you not see here rip her own arms off in episode 1?
Jan 18, 2018 4:56 PM

Jan 2011
honestly the most interesting thing for me this episode was the fact the guy was wearing high heeled shoes for riding i assumed with the other shots of the women wearing them mainly the one that looked like she wasn't used to it was to indicate the popularization of them or that could just be reading into it to much if it was the case it would've been a neat touch.

everything else is okay i guess frankly even if it's been done over and over if Violet was a robot or some sort it'd make for a more interesting character for me i just can't see her as a human completely devoid-ed of any common sense /emotions -insert your "that's the whole point" here ,i get it but hopefully do it well 12 episodes of her being overly dull but somewhat humorously blunt might get old
Jan 18, 2018 4:58 PM
Nov 2017
It's clearly portrayed of Hachiko, the dog who's wait for his master that is dead...
I can't wait for this series.. it's touching a little bit on the end of this episode...
Can't wait to see the rest of it...
But I agree, if this Gilbert died, they should at least put 7/14 episode for him and Violet for character development, like Hachiko...
Still not gonna judge till the final episode...
Jan 18, 2018 5:00 PM
Jul 2010
Ventus_S said:
I finished 2 episodes already and I know why the rage of so many people.

This show is clearly not for edgy teenagers who only likes power fantasy, yet people over-hyped it as if all the anime community should watch it. Mal score pretty much reflects the average age group of audience in Mal.

I personally LOVE this show and how detail the characters emotion and interaction is, but I can understand why edgy teenagers can't take this kind of slow and steady work of art and literature. To me this show character portrayed is much better than Ancient Magus Bride.

PS: People thought Violet is a dick, but this is EXACTLY THE POINT.
If she suddenly acts like a sympathetic human being despite being called a weapon and just recently retired from battle-field, then I would say Violet character portray is a failure.
So far I think they did a very good job showing the awkwardness of Violet's reaction and attitude.

Yeah, totally agree with you. People either don't understand the whole idea of this series, or are just looking for some typical shounen fights. This is so much better than the stereotype shit.

Really liked the first episode, but I personally think that this episode was lacking a bit. It somewhat felt like a filler in some scenarios, and it turns out it actually is :/ hope it continues stronger like the previous episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2018 5:23 PM

Apr 2015
If Violet isn't really a robot, she's really got the emotions and social skills of one. And if she isn't a robot, it's kinda fucked she got sent as a gift as a weapon to Gilbert however long ago in that flashback.

"It's a contradiction." Erica looked at Violet like "Bitch, I'm trying to help you!"
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 18, 2018 5:40 PM

Apr 2016
katsu044 said:
honestly the most interesting thing for me this episode was the fact the guy was wearing high heeled shoes for riding i assumed with the other shots of the women wearing them mainly the one that looked like she wasn't used to it was to indicate the popularization of them or that could just be reading into it to much if it was the case it would've been a neat touch.

everything else is okay i guess frankly even if it's been done over and over if Violet was a robot or some sort it'd make for a more interesting character for me i just can't see her as a human completely devoid-ed of any common sense /emotions -insert your "that's the whole point" here ,i get it but hopefully do it well 12 episodes of her being overly dull but somewhat humorously blunt might get old
He wears them in episode 1 too. Im still wondering what that is about. My above post had a screenshot of it.
Jan 18, 2018 5:41 PM

Jul 2016
MetaDragon said:
SilverDio said:

You've never seen a child soldier then. They act pretty bad. Did you not see here rip her own arms off in episode 1?

I thought that was so uncanny that she must have been a robot XD
Jan 18, 2018 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
People making rash judgements on a show's overall quality within two episodes never ceases to make me laugh and face-palm so hard. A true representation of the Internet lol. xD

How do I feel about the show so far? KyoAni always deliver fantastic visuals in their productions, so that's no surprise. Although, they could tone down some of the exposure or filters in some scenes as I found they were a bit too much. The story's premise of a former child soldier who's been robbed of her humanity, shaped into the personification of a "doll", and wishes to regain her humanity through the profession of composing letters for people holds potential. However, my biggest fear for this show is that the show's writing may not be up to par with the visuals. I'd rather be a surprised pessimist than a disappointed optimist because I want to be proven wrong.

In terms of the second episode, I felt it was lackluster in comparison to the first episode not because of its slow pacing alone. It's also come to my attention from some people's comments that KyoAni has decided to add in non-canon characters who I found bland which made it feel more dull. This is a terrible combination and a likeable cast of characters would surely make it much easier to enjoy the show's slow pacing. 3-gatsu no Lion is a perfect example of how to write an engaging slow-paced slice of life show by adding in a lovable cast of characters. I also really hope the show does a great job with Violet's character development because her "doll" personality can only go so far without making the entire show dull and the ending song was just not very good.

I don't intend to drop this show anytime soon. I intend to see it all the way through to the end before I form my opinion on the entire show's overall quality. Definitely looking forward to the next episode.
removed-userJan 18, 2018 6:32 PM
Jan 18, 2018 6:33 PM

Aug 2013
is the anime original content? i read the novel synopsys and is such a big spoiler but the anime seems to be doing a different path.

Jan 18, 2018 6:45 PM

May 2014
Can I just say that the music in this series is phenomenal? Because it really is.

Also, wow. Violet's bluntness is completely savage and the fact that it's not intentional makes it even more so!

Ah, the ending bit got me. It's so obvious to everyone else that Violet has feelings for Gilbert but she doesn't get it herself yet. I mean, come on! When you keep a brooch just because it reminds you of some guy's eye colour, you can bet your ass it's love! XD

I wonder how and when Hodgins is gonna tell Violet the truth?
Jan 18, 2018 6:46 PM

Jan 2015
Episode two was a joke, I don't know if you people realize it but nobody checked up on the letter she sent? Not even the women? We're supposed to believe that she was authentically in love with the guy and wanted a great letter, but didn't care about it enough to bother proofreading it? Especially considering earlier in the very same episode there's a scene of someone pissed after proofreading there letter before it's sent. It's a proof of lazy writing .
Rance X is A GOAT.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

623 by 2Trace-Rail9 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » The OST

GRG3 - Jun 1

17 by APEMODE11 »»
Jun 4, 10:48 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

499 by tony328 »»
Jun 3, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

248 by yuna_shima »»
May 28, 4:18 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2018

366 by BigTheRat »»
May 23, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.