Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Welcome to the Ballroom
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jul 18, 2017 2:35 PM

Sep 2013
Felt boring, not my setting i guess. The average guy(hidden genius) only managed his first ever dance move for over 14 hrs. without rest and realization,pfffft. He could've danced whole week or months, but that's just him being modest and humble.....
Jul 19, 2017 6:54 AM

Jul 2009
Very nice! Sengoku's dance was great!
Jul 20, 2017 3:14 AM
Mar 2012
Mc quite fun, but he has no logic, or plot just forces him along. Some strong tho bit scary side characters.
Don't have neck issues, but some whole body proportion feels alien. Good art, but animation & pacing kinda dry, rather not admit but YOI animation started much better than this. More surprising is so many good studios but was far from impressive, besides IG, dogakobo, ufotable, whitefox, shuka, lidenfilms, Kinema etc all helped.
OP just makes me want Kekkai Sensen2 earlier. Pleasant ED.

Jul 24, 2017 4:11 AM
Mar 2016
I was so sceptic about this anime,I even hated main before I see him,but that was one of my biggest mistake! This anime is absoutely amazing.The artstyle of Haikyuu,the animaton of Yuri on Ice and the story for finding yourself like in Bakuman in 1 anime!I am literally shaking right now !

Aug 1, 2017 12:32 AM
Mar 2017
Really nice, I like it so far. Main is cute
Aug 4, 2017 9:53 AM

Aug 2016
Good first episode but those necks really make me uncomfortable.
Nanika ga Okashii
Aug 5, 2017 8:43 AM

Jul 2014
well, that was kind of cringe. The dancing is cringe. I feel like it has potential to be a nice anime as the production quality is high, but because of the need of orginality and as a result the inclusion of dancing it has these extremely cringey moments. I've only watched the first episode so far, will give some more a try, but I'm not sure I'll be able to watch the whole thing through.
Sai-BAug 5, 2017 8:47 AM
Aug 7, 2017 6:03 PM

Jun 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Who the hell goes from being unable to even decide their high school plans to signing up for expensive private lessons for a sport he hadn't heard of before after a random encounter in the blink of an eye? And how do you "accidentally" end up rehearsing the same dance move over and over all on your own throughout literally an entire night without collapsing or getting bored out of your mind, or at the very least notice it?

Not really sure about this so far..

Please. The answer to your questions is very simple. Our protagonist does those things because he's the protagonist of a shounen sports anime adaptation.

Tatara seems like the blankest slate I've ever seen so far. So far he's so blank that he might as well have amnesia. The only piece of his personality that I was able to pick up is that he always tries to get out of trouble by smiling awkwardly and apologizing.

But I don't dislike this at all. While the character designs remind me way too much of Haikyuu, the visuals are very detailed and crisp. That, and the dance animation might just make this worth watching.

Sai-B said:
well, that was kind of cringe. The dancing is cringe. I feel like it has potential to be a nice anime as the production quality is high, but because of the need of orginality and as a result the inclusion of dancing it has these extremely cringey moments. I've only watched the first episode so far, will give some more a try, but I'm not sure I'll be able to watch the whole thing through.

I don't mean to be rude but would it be possible for you to express your thoughts on this episode without using the word "cringe?"
LeeTailorAug 7, 2017 6:17 PM
Aug 7, 2017 9:18 PM

Jul 2014
LeeTailor said:
HaXXspetten said:
Who the hell goes from being unable to even decide their high school plans to signing up for expensive private lessons for a sport he hadn't heard of before after a random encounter in the blink of an eye? And how do you "accidentally" end up rehearsing the same dance move over and over all on your own throughout literally an entire night without collapsing or getting bored out of your mind, or at the very least notice it?

Not really sure about this so far..

Please. The answer to your questions is very simple. Our protagonist does those things because he's the protagonist of a shounen sports anime adaptation.

Tatara seems like the blankest slate I've ever seen so far. So far he's so blank that he might as well have amnesia. The only piece of his personality that I was able to pick up is that he always tries to get out of trouble by smiling awkwardly and apologizing.

But I don't dislike this at all. While the character designs remind me way too much of Haikyuu, the visuals are very detailed and crisp. That, and the dance animation might just make this worth watching.

Sai-B said:

I don't mean to be rude but would it be possible for you to express your thoughts on this episode without using the word "cringe?"

No need to, the word perfectly describes my feelings after watching the first episode. There is no other word that would be more adequate to use.
Aug 7, 2017 10:33 PM

Jun 2013
Sai-B said:

LeeTailor said:

No need to, the word perfectly describes my feelings after watching the first episode. There is no other word that would be more adequate to use.

I just don't think criticizing an anime episode with the word "cringe" contributes anything meaningful to the discussion. This thread is a discussion, after all. It would be a lot more interesting for everyone here if you properly tried to explain why you didn't like the episode.

But I understand if someone doesn't have the time, energy or motivation to elaborate on their opinions. I'm not here to police your posts, I just thought it was a worth a try to reach out.
Aug 8, 2017 12:31 AM

Jul 2014
LeeTailor said:
Sai-B said:

I just don't think criticizing an anime episode with the word "cringe" contributes anything meaningful to the discussion. This thread is a discussion, after all. It would be a lot more interesting for everyone here if you properly tried to explain why you didn't like the episode.

But I understand if someone doesn't have the time, energy or motivation to elaborate on their opinions. I'm not here to police your posts, I just thought it was a worth a try to reach out.

Avoiding the word cringe wouldn't be elaborating. Giving examples of situations I find cringe, would.

Making a big fuss out of dancing is cringe. Dancing is a "sports" discipline that doesn't require unique skills, yet still acts as if it does and so does the anime. There are many other sports like these, such as shot put or weightlifting, but those don't act like there's anything more to the sport than strength, endurance and learned technique, they don't require a complicated and unique skillset, just strength, endurance and practice, so does ballroom dancing. It is therefore cringe when the anime tries to make it out to be more than it actually is.

Then we add up the posture scene, and most importantly the scene in which Tatara watches the blonde guy dance, which are both related to my first point I guess, that I cringed the hell out of.

A discussion can mean many things, when we discuss anime we usually simply express our completely subjective impressions about the given anime as there are not many things that can be objectively discussed. Well, there are exceptions as people thinking an anime is objectively good or bad just because they liked or disliked it, exist. Ballroom e Youkoso is objectively fine after the first episode, the cringe, however, threw me off and resulted in a drastic decrease of my enjoyment level.
Sai-BAug 8, 2017 4:12 AM
Aug 8, 2017 9:10 AM

Jun 2013
Sai-B said:
Making a big fuss out of dancing is cringe. Dancing is a "sports" discipline that doesn't require unique skills, yet still acts as if it does and so does the anime. There are many other sports like these, such as shot put or weightlifting, but those don't act like there's anything more to the sport than strength, endurance and learned technique, they don't require a complicated and unique skillset, just strength, endurance and practice, so does ballroom dancing. It is therefore cringe when the anime tries to make it out to be more than it actually is.

Then we add up the posture scene, and most importantly the scene in which Tatara watches the blonde guy dance, which are both related to my first point I guess, that I cringed the hell out of.

A discussion can mean many things, when we discuss anime we usually simply express our completely subjective impressions about the given anime as there are not many things that can be objectively discussed. Well, there are exceptions as people thinking an anime is objectively good or bad just because they liked or disliked it, exist. Ballroom e Youkoso is objectively fine after the first episode, the cringe, however, threw me off and resulted in a drastic decrease of my enjoyment level.

Now I understand a little better, I'm glad you replied. I didn't know ballroom dancing required no unique skills, do you have a source on that, just to indulge my curiosity? Or which sports do require a unique and complicated skillset, in your understanding?
Aug 17, 2017 5:34 PM
Jun 2017
Note: I'm terrible at remembering names

I thought the episode was charming enough, but I felt like quite a few of the characters are kinda stereotypical. Glasses seemed to be a tsundere, yet I appreciate the fact that she wasn't blatantly mean (even complemented the dude), Buzzcut just seems like a douchebag, and DVD Mom is Mom. I know that's it's just the first episode; I'm just pointing out potential problems. I like the Fajita guy, and I find is determination endearing (though I woulda passed out after that long), but there's no particular reason for him to actually pursue dancing in the first place except for the plot to continue on.
Aug 18, 2017 7:55 PM

Feb 2008
I don't know why, but I can't help comparing this to Yuri on Ice, and honestly, its just not as good. Hopefully it'll get better.

I think he's really looking down on dancing. I totally agree with Sengoku's attitude towards him.

Also wondering what kind of athletics he's been doing up to now. There's no way someone who doesn't work out fairly regularly could pull that all-nighter, and the average, sedentary middle-schooler would have had trouble walking after that first free lesson.

I liked Sengoku right away, and I haven't seen anything to change my mind so far :)

I kinda wish he wasn't a prodigy. One of the things I liked most about Baby Steps was how long it took him to get even half way decent.
Sep 1, 2017 2:44 PM

Jan 2017
With just one an amazing episode I truly believe that this how will be one of the best of this season. I really enjoyed it
Karasuno Fight!!!
Sep 3, 2017 2:52 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
interesting plot how is the Ballroom, althoug the development was a little forced!!!
I think that in this first chapter, we can enjoy with the premises of this anime series, a young boy that has start a dream, and his hard way to arrive to the top, and of course, the love will be present!!!! kekeke

8/10 for this start!
Sep 5, 2017 8:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I normally don't like sports anime and ballroom dancing does absolutely nothing for me, but after all the hype I've been hearing, I had to check this out. So far I have to say I understand the good press. Very entertaining and good looking stuff.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 8, 2017 2:32 AM

Jun 2013
It's finally an ANIME! Yay! I read the manga as soon as I heard this was getting an Anime adaptation and I can spot some differences already. I love the animation quality and appearance of the characters although some of them might look generic. The way Sengoku got rid of the bullies is different in the manga.

Shizuka is beautiful but cold and I like it. She's serious about her craft and doesn't want anyone half-assed to join their dance studio.

Look! Look! Look! Look! Mirou! mirou! Mirou! mirou!

It's so common in these Anime and manga series for a person to do ONE move all night or week and they impress the rest of the cast and they progress from that point on. Like in a baseball Anime, the person practices the same swing or pitch for hours on end or even weeks until they finally accept them as a member. I guess it reflects dedication and not some passing fancy.
臭い-
Sep 25, 2017 1:05 PM

Nov 2011
As a start, it's not that bad, but the narrative maybe went a bit too much for my liking: it's a bit bad to see Tatara, make a decision so fast. Of all the other opinion about the graphics quality of the series, really beautiful and divinely realized, on this point I had no doubt that everything would go well. Just look at the Animation Studio that we're working on, the conclusion was overwhelming. As for the graphic style, I had noticed it since the first visual, that there is a similarity with the anime series of Haikyuu !! However, this is not a problem, in fact the characters are lovely despite everything.
Oct 5, 2017 2:30 PM

Jul 2014
LeeTailor said:
Sai-B said:

Now I understand a little better, I'm glad you replied. I didn't know ballroom dancing required no unique skills, do you have a source on that, just to indulge my curiosity? Or which sports do require a unique and complicated skillset, in your understanding?

Examples of such sports include Soccer, Tennis, Horseracing, Hockey. Basically all sports that require some kind of dynamic adaptation to the surroundings when practiced.
Oct 5, 2017 3:31 PM

Jun 2013
Sai-B said:
LeeTailor said:

Examples of such sports include Soccer, Tennis, Horseracing, Hockey. Basically all sports that require some kind of dynamic adaptation to the surroundings when practiced.

I get what you're saying. You're talking about "game-like" sports where the players are forced to adapt to their opponents or team mates moment by moment, and they can't rely on a fixed and perfected routine. By this line of fencing, weightlifting, synchronized swimming, figure skating etc. don't require unique and complicated skillsets, but boxing, water polo and bobsleigh etc. do.

I can't really agree with such a black and white distinction, because often even in activites like competitive ballroom dancing for example, the performers are forced to improvise if something doesn't go according to plan, and they have to pay attention to the other pairs of dancers surrounding them. And while I get what you mean by complexity now, I still don't think there's any reason to be embarrassed for anyone who can get excited about sports that require less complex skills, adaptation and improvisation and all that other stuff.
Oct 5, 2017 7:14 PM

May 2014
Not a fan of the art style. I also thought the pacing was a bit weird where he has never had any interests in his life and he immediately loves ballroom dancing after watching one tape. I mean in these types of shows the MC usually grew up with the sport/competition, or idolized a player/performer as they grew up, but he literally just saw one video of someone he just met. I'll probably watch a few more episodes but I'm hoping this gets better.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Oct 22, 2017 3:36 AM
Oct 2017
Am i the only one that likes tatara w/ mako or the best girl
But don't tell me that shizuku and hyodo don't like eachother i think that they are perfect together
Rememeber when she and makos brother danced
Nov 20, 2017 9:38 PM

Dec 2015
Sengoku is like an adult BnH Bakugou and Fujita is like a less obnoxious Midoriya - really solid series from soundtrack, animation and pacing.
Prim3Nov 20, 2017 10:32 PM
~
Dec 17, 2017 4:36 PM

May 2013
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GOSH, that's IT.

With this one episode alone, I feel like I've just completed a great anime from beginning to end. This one episode was all I need.

Who am I kidding, I need MOAR!!!!! BUT THIS FIRST EP WAS AMAZING. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. It really did make me feel like I've just completed an awesome series though LOLOL

Fujita-kun s'cuteeeeee <3

I know how Sengoku feels tho. Sometimes I do something that I've put so much work, passion, blood, soul, and sweat into and a newbie comes along and they're like "I wanna do it too!" Like. DUFUQ BETCH????? WHO YOU THINK YOU IS??? YOUUUUUUU want to do hip-hop? YOUUUUUUUU want to try modeling? This is MY thing D:< hahhah ^^' it's prolly a very bad characteristic to have, but I get so territorial over my passions lol ><" I can't stand people who do things on a whim then give up shortly afterwards if it's too much effort for them =.=' fuck y'all hoessssss lolol
Jan 7, 2018 7:36 PM

Dec 2012
Off to a dazzling start. I took a couple of dance classes in college and can attest to how difficult the basics are for completely inexperienced beginners. I had a particular fondness for ballroom dancing as well as ballet. It's something I've always loved but never got good at. This show already makes me want to have another go at it.

I can relate to Tatara a bit. Finding that one thing to pour your passion into really does change everything.
Jan 13, 2018 12:16 AM

Sep 2011
I already know I'm going to love this....
Oct 3, 2018 5:21 AM

Jun 2011
Held off this anime for almost a year now, I expected this to turn out to be some kind of heavy melodramatic trash like Hanebado and Battery, glad it's not, and hope it doesn't turn out like that. I prefer the series to be more about the passion for the sports than some lousy character drama for the sake of character drama.

So far it's pretty decent. The long neck, disproportionate body definitely takes time to get used to, and the writing style is a little bit annoying along with the art, as well as how quickly Tatara gets into the sports of ballroom dancing without needing much convincing is not very believable but it's not a big deal.

Best way to win over serious people is to show your determination, and Tatara sure showed them!

I hope he called his dad before staying overnight at the studio, his dad must be worried sick of him.

Oh also really weird they would allow Tatara to train overnight at the studio when they don't really know him. Basically skipped over all that details that would make sense for the impact moment when they found out he's been training all night.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 11, 2018 5:49 PM
Apr 2016
Honestly the bodies are way overexaggerated, which makes me feel uncomfortable... Well, I'm still gonna continue the series since it seems promising~ and because I have no clue what to watch. lol
Jun 16, 2019 9:29 PM
Jul 2014
Not a bad first episode! I'm excited to see Tatara grow and improve as a dancer!

(I accidentally saw part of episode 18 so I know he gets better lol I hate watching things out of order ughhhhh)

It is pretty far fetched for him to have stayed all night but I guess it just shows how dedicated he is and how fun he finds dancing. I'm glad he found his passion, although I can't believe he's only in middle school lol that girl looks like she could be a high school student.

I love Tatara and Sengoku's relationship so far! It reminds me of two brothers. A wise older brother showing his young and naive brother tough love. I like it.

This girl also seems to be a very complex character. I'm excited to see how she and Tatara's relationship develops.

The art style and animation is really nice too :D
Oct 13, 2019 3:18 AM

Mar 2015
This should be good! Shizuki is gorgeous!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 21, 2019 12:42 AM

Sep 2018
Hmmm the pacing is fast, he likes to dance when he saw Sengoku's dance competition?.. Atleast he mean it seriously, not only on a whim.
Feb 5, 2020 7:15 AM
Dec 2017
fucking dick necks
Mar 2, 2020 10:41 AM
Oct 2019
Tatara : "I wanna dance like you and win competitions!

Sengoku: "say sike rn"
Mar 2, 2020 10:42 AM
Oct 2019
Gagarin-chan said:
fucking dick necks
HAHSHASHAHAHAHH
Dec 31, 2021 10:30 AM
May 2021
This threw me off!
I know nothing of the source material but I was impressed by this episode.
I'm used to action/adventure anime, but I can't hate this for it being a "dance" anime.
I'm genuinely impressed.
Sep 28, 2022 4:04 AM
Sep 2022
first "dance" anime of my lifef
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

174 by TomRed55 »»
Jun 11, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

126 by vanne_ »»
May 20, 4:31 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

59 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

57 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.