Forum Settings
Forums

Are people who've seen ridiculous amounts of anime actually casuals?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 1, 2017 9:38 AM

Mar 2016
I don't remember every frame, because I don't want to remember series that I rated with 1. Remember that is painful, so do I have to be masochist to become an otaku?

Mar 1, 2017 9:49 AM

Jun 2015
AholePony said:
I remember every detail of every anime I have ever seen. Come at me bro.

I remember almost eveyrthing of every anime I have seen.

Except Elfen lied, but I'm ''reading the manga''
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Mar 1, 2017 10:48 AM

Jul 2016
OppaiSugoi said:
OP jelly of the numbers game, go watch more shows then.

I have no desire to watch 200+ anime. There aren't that many that appeal to me because anything that currently exists not on my list I don't want to see for specific reasons. I truly believe what I said.
Mar 1, 2017 10:57 AM

Jun 2015
Not everyone has a bad memory...

IpreferEcchi said:
OppaiSugoi said:
OP jelly of the numbers game, go watch more shows then.

I have no desire to watch 200+ anime. There aren't that many that appeal to me because anything that currently exists not on my list I don't want to see for specific reasons. I truly believe what I said.
you just added something to ptw yesterday tho

Mar 1, 2017 11:01 AM

Jan 2017
ahoyanen said:
AholePony said:

Which specific ingredients did Uiharu bring to a hot pot evening hosted by Saten in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S?

Well, I know Uiharu brought vegetables, Misaka brought meat, Kuroko brought soft shelled turtle, and Harue brought Udon, i dont quite remember if Saten san got anything,she hosted it, but I watched Railgun 2 years ago soooooo i think im a otaku
Mar 1, 2017 11:01 AM
Feb 2017
OneNaughtyBear said:
That moment when you see another OP makes it seem as if being an otaku only means to have watch lots of anime.

Yea just because you watch thousands of episodes of anime doesn't make you Otaku. What should we call the people who watch every episode of the Kardashians, Walking Dead, or whatever the fuck is played on American media these days? That shit is 10x worse.
Mar 1, 2017 11:29 AM

Jul 2016
codephat said:

I did that before I made this topic and before I said this in Forum Games:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/message/49825221?goto=topic

Look at the time stamps:

Akame ga Kill!
Yesterday, 3:43 AM
Plan to Watch

That post:
Yesterday, 2:39 PM

This topic:
Yesterday, 3:22 PM

Do your research.

imeli said:
OneNaughtyBear said:
That moment when you see another OP makes it seem as if being an otaku only means to have watch lots of anime.

https://i.imgflip.com/1kkrv8.jpg

Yea just because you watch thousands of episodes of anime doesn't make you Otaku. What should we call the people who watch every episode of the Kardashians, Walking Dead, or whatever the fuck is played on American media these days? That shit is 10x worse.

No, but I see two people who didn't read carefully. Watching a lot of anime is the opposite of otaku to me.
Mar 1, 2017 11:31 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Not gonna lie, I forget ecchi scenes sometimes, which is part of the reason I gif everything now, well, I couldn't or at least didn't know how in the past
Mar 1, 2017 11:32 AM
Feb 2017
IpreferEcchi said:
codephat said:

I did that before I made this topic and before I said this in Forum Games:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/message/49825221?goto=topic

Look at the time stamps:

Akame ga Kill!
Yesterday, 3:43 AM
Plan to Watch

That post:
Yesterday, 2:39 PM

This topic:
Yesterday, 3:22 PM

Do your research.

imeli said:

No, but I see two people who didn't read carefully. Watching a lot of anime is the opposite of otaku to me.

I never said it was Otaku to watch anime. It's Otaku to sleep with a waifu pillow.
Mar 1, 2017 11:35 AM

Jul 2016
imeli said:
I never said it was Otaku to watch anime. It's Otaku to sleep with a waifu pillow.

I don't have a waifu pillow of Aldra, but I would get one.
Mar 1, 2017 11:48 AM
Nov 2016
IpreferEcchi said:

Most of the shows you've seen are ecchi and R+ Mild Nudity, of course you will run out of stuff to watch.
Mar 1, 2017 11:50 AM

Apr 2014
i don't understand how people get away with threads like these...

does being an ecchi lover keeps Ardanaz from banning you? if so, i need to start watching some weeb animes too because i get banned all the time for literally nothing...
Mar 1, 2017 11:51 AM

Jun 2015
@ipreferecchi

My point wasn't that you made the post before or after.

Mar 1, 2017 11:51 AM

Jul 2016
codephat said:
@ipreferecchi

My point wasn't that you made the post before or after.

If I added it to my list after, I would be contradicting myself. You can't make a point on lack of proof.

Star- said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Most of the shows you've seen are ecchi and R+ Mild Nudity, of course you will run out of stuff to watch.

Exactly. I'm someone who specializes in a certain subset. I think people who do that are hardcore. It could be Slice of Life or anything else as well.
Mar 1, 2017 11:56 AM

Jun 2015
The point was it's a bit premature to say that.

Mar 1, 2017 11:56 AM

Sep 2014
unblockedbridge said:
I don't find that a person's number of anime seen dictates whether they're casual or hardcore instead its their overall attitude about anime.

If someone is incredibly hardcore for one series so be it but many people who have seen hundreds are also laid back and casual about what they like. Though no need for unneeded labeling as well. We're all just anime fans

I didn't quite grasp the "it's their overall attitude towards anime" part. I'd like an example if you have one. In all other points, I'm with you all the way! I've seen over 600, not counting the ones I've rewatched and I consider myself casual because I'm pretty laid back about anime in general. I don't follow on recent news, I can wait months before watching a newly released anime.

Having watched so much anime makes me prone to forgetfulness but I believe it to be all the better because few years from now I'll feel like rewatching a lot of good animes!
cHowaitoMar 1, 2017 11:59 AM
Mar 1, 2017 11:58 AM

Jul 2016
codephat said:
The point was it's a bit premature to say that.

No. It's premature to say that when I contradict what I say. Adding that was a swan song for the current existing anime.
Mar 1, 2017 12:07 PM

Oct 2014
i though the casual debate had more to do with the people having the acclaied good taste and liking the consensus of great shows instead of being about hom many shows the person watched
sure if you go stricter definition of the terms it about if the person watches anime casually and if she is really into the genre but that is not the definition we use in discussions most of time
Mar 1, 2017 12:10 PM

Feb 2016
What's the deal with being "casual" or not? Anime shouldn't be a competition comparing who watched more shows or spent more time watching.
Mar 1, 2017 12:35 PM

Jun 2010
cHowaito said:

I didn't quite grasp the "it's their overall attitude towards anime" part.

I kinda understand what he means. You can draw the line between casuals and fans based on the mindset. How much they are willing to engage in said hobby.

It doesn't matter if you cultishly follow one franchise, seek to watch lots of different anime, look into the source material, draw fanart, cosplay or whatever. But this willingness to invest a little more of yourself into this hobby is what separates one from a casual.
Mar 1, 2017 1:15 PM

Jul 2016
cure_potato said:
What's the deal with being "casual" or not? Anime shouldn't be a competition comparing who watched more shows or spent more time watching.

This isn't a competition. This is determining who you can turn to for some things and who you can turn to for other things. This is how labels are supposed to be used.
Mar 1, 2017 1:53 PM

Jul 2012
That seems like a lot of a case by case basis. If a person is looking for a specific genre or type of show they would probably want someone who is extremely focused on those genres. But arguably those people would already fall into what I'm guessing is your definition of an Otaku if they have a specific desire. Which would also mean they're on the roughly the same level as the person giving them the recommendation meaning they wouldn't really be hardcore by comparison (basically if said person giving the recommendation only had like 50 shows compared to the person's 40 can you really call that a hardcore gap?).
Compared to say a person who has watched hundreds if not thousands of shows they have a much wider range of recommendations and maybe they developed a much more niche preference in certain areas that most fans with smaller lists haven't really had exposure or access to. Thus making the person who watches more have the potential to provide recommendations that go much more specific than a person who's only say watched the highest rated shows of a genre.
Mar 1, 2017 3:01 PM

Dec 2015
Well.. who cares about reciting anime actually? Its not really an impressive things... and for me, anime knowledge is not something that I value the most in life LOL

I think... Its normal for people who just started watching anime has a little amout of anime in their completed list and its normal for people who has a pile of anime in their completed list if they started watching anime even since they were kid so...

Well... I passed 200 already eventho I started when I was 5 , but Im glad knowing that Im not a hardcore otaku :v \o/
Mar 1, 2017 3:04 PM

Jan 2013
Doesn't matter how much anime you've seen, you're still a casual pleb if you don't know what you're talking about.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 1, 2017 3:16 PM

Mar 2016
Eufie said:
Well.. who cares about reciting anime actually? Its not really an impressive things... and for me, anime knowledge is not something that I value the most in life LOL

I think... Its normal for people who just started watching anime has a little amout of anime in their completed list and its normal for people who has a pile of anime in their completed list if they started watching anime even since they were kid so...

Well... I passed 200 already eventho I started when I was 5 , but Im glad knowing that Im not a hardcore otaku :v \o/

agreed. i think the op is trying to say that the hardcore fans are much more credible when it comes to anime knowledge. it doesn't make them more special though
Mar 1, 2017 3:24 PM

Jun 2016
AholePony said:
Same. We're gifted, I think. We stand above the masses, with this skill of ours.
Mar 1, 2017 3:26 PM

Jul 2012
Oliemaar said:
AholePony said:
Same. We're gifted, I think. We stand above the masses, with this skill of ours.

It's ok, you can call those masses filthy plebeians, I know that's what you really wanted to say.
Mar 1, 2017 4:52 PM
Feb 2017
If you enjoy anime you tend to watch more. Not memorizing everything about an anime doesn't make you Casual. Just mean's you don't memorize everything about an anime.
Mar 1, 2017 5:03 PM

Jun 2016
I mean, if you only watch 200+ moe shows, you wouldn't necessarily be considered an "elitist"

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Mar 1, 2017 5:28 PM

Dec 2015
Stardust-Breaker said:
Eufie said:

agreed. i think the op is trying to say that the hardcore fans are much more credible when it comes to anime knowledge. it doesn't make them more special though

Yea like people also have reasons why they like watching anime.. so....
Well I understand for people who having a small numbers and could recite story perfectly especially if it because they just recently watching anime,
but how about this kind of case of anime fans that been watching anime since they are kids? Im sure they might not remember fully anime that they watch when they were kid like more than 10 years ago. Since at that time anime usually has that bunch of episodes as well. Eventho if they rewatch it they might could recall some of the story (since we have long term memory in our brain as well)... well about memory and memorizing, its also different for each human, I think....

So for the 1st case, how about more than 10 years later (if they still alive),, could they still recite the story as good as they just recently watching it?
EufieMar 1, 2017 5:32 PM
Mar 1, 2017 6:48 PM

Mar 2012
A slightly different point, but I would guess that a person who spends a larger proportion of their art/entertainment time budget on anime is more likely to be a casual consumer of art. Not because anime (or animation more generally) is an inferior medium, but because the anime canon isn't nearly as vast.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 1, 2017 8:43 PM

May 2014
I remember everything from anime I actually enjoy.
If it's a subpar anime I tend to forget things.
Mar 1, 2017 11:57 PM

Nov 2009
Darius said:
i don't understand how people get away with threads like these...

does being an ecchi lover keeps Ardanaz from banning you? if so, i need to start watching some weeb animes too because i get banned all the time for literally nothing...

I do not know what exactly did you get banned for, but this is a valid discussion thread, even if it is somewhat dumb.
Mar 2, 2017 1:18 PM

Sep 2014
Asturaetus said:
I kinda understand what he means. You can draw the line between casuals and fans based on the mindset. How much they are willing to engage in said hobby.

It doesn't matter if you cultishly follow one franchise, seek to watch lots of different anime, look into the source material, draw fanart, cosplay or whatever. But this willingness to invest a little more of yourself into this hobby is what separates one from a casual.

Aaah! I seek an explanation of your explanation! But in all honesty, screw this. I can't bother with trying to figure out if I'm a casual or hardcore fan because why not both? Hardcore casual... i liek the sound of that.
Mar 2, 2017 1:23 PM

Sep 2014
unblockedbridge said:

hm pretty much how serious they are about it. I've seen almost 300 which isnt a stretch by any means around here but i consider someone who has seen 1000 but still laid back about it, doesnt take it too seriously and just has fun with it, casual.

But ive known people, someone in particular whom hasnt seen as many but is so serious that he thinks rewatching is a waste of time and takes it so seriously that everyone in his eyes is just a filthy casual. and has a goal to watch literally everything just to gloat about a high number.. its all bout the attitude :)

yes i'm very forgetful i love rewatching for a fresh experience too

Mhm, I'm more of the laid back type. I mean, why add an anime to your list JUST TO ADD IT TO YOUR LIST If it's a boring anime then you stop, drop and roll.
Mar 2, 2017 1:39 PM

Aug 2012
You expect me to remember EVERYTHING when i see cute girls on my screen?
Mar 2, 2017 3:32 PM

Sep 2009
You literally are making the argument that reading too many books is bad and people who love books only read a select few.

Those people don't like to read, they like those specific books and by proxy are just feeding their appetite.

In reality the less your read the less you will know. Knowledge doesn't stop at the line in the sand you call preferences.
Mar 2, 2017 6:24 PM

Jan 2017
I actually remember every anime, story wise, name wise. Watching a lot of anime doesn't mean you are a casual.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2017 12:35 AM

Apr 2014
Can confirm.

*posting more words to reach character requirement*

Mar 3, 2017 12:41 AM

Aug 2014
A casual is determined by how often (s)he watches anime each week, not how well they remember the shows they watch.
Mar 3, 2017 5:37 AM

Oct 2014
All anime fans are fucking casuals.

Mar 3, 2017 5:51 AM

Apr 2014
I'm a casual, at least, I consider myself one. I never go in depth to explain things and I rarely (Just so never, because that 1 show doesn't really count) write reviews or do anything of that sort. I have an average score of +/- 7.5, which is really high, and I don't defend my favorites like every elitist would do.
Mar 3, 2017 8:05 AM

Jun 2015
IpreferEcchi said:
Think about it. Nobody who's completed anime in the two hundreds and beyond will be able to retain in-depth knowledge of things they've seen to sell someone on an anime or show off their weeb prowess.

Only those dedicated to a manageable amount of shows they can recite things about are true hardcore otaku.
Think about it.

you have shit taste bcz you prefer ecchi.

also, just cuz your a weeb, doesnt mean we want to be one of you~ --

we've invested a lot more of our lives to anime to be belittled by an echifag like you.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anyone got turned off by the Big 3?

Zircon45 - 3 hours ago

23 by UberBat »»
2 minutes ago

» Bad dialogues

JoeChip - Yesterday

36 by davvvy »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime carried by Animation

ST63LTH - 1 hour ago

13 by Darion_Phoenix »»
3 minutes ago

» Happy Yuri Day

henmwats - 3 hours ago

24 by Absurdo_N »»
8 minutes ago

» which anime is the best right now can anyone has the guess???

Josh5564 - 25 minutes ago

3 by SimplyBrazen »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.