Forum Settings
Forums

Unpopular/Forgotten Manga you would want Animated?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 11, 2020 5:29 PM

Dec 2015
Definitely "From Eroica With Love" !!! It's about a (canonically and openly) gay art thief and a no-nonsense German NATO officer and their wacky high-jinks bumping into each other across Europe and beyond during the height of the Cold War.

The author notoriously dislikes animation as a medium, so refused to ever have it adapted. But I'm still holding out hope that maybe she might one day change her mind!

In a perfect world, I would've had Dezaki as the director, though he's now sadly passed away... He would have totally nailed it... I think it would look best in his fusion of 70s style with 90s sensibilities. If the art style had to be an exact match... I would say it would be best to take from the middle period (the manga's run spanned decades and the author's style changed pretty significantly over time... and not for the better some would argue haha). I wouldn't mind a more definitive ending either as the manga had a kind of "and the adventure continues" non-conclusion.

I think regardless of the various details, an adaptation would do wonders to bring this manga into the public eye (and maybe even push someone to get the manga license picked up again!).

Apr 11, 2020 5:52 PM
Apr 2020
Kamikaze by Satoshi Shiki. I've never heard it was animated, but it can be cool, also, i would like to know if is going to be a conclussion for High school of the dead (manga and anime).
Apr 12, 2020 8:32 AM

Apr 2011
I'd like a Rokudenashi Blues TV anime.
Aug 10, 2020 11:46 PM

Dec 2009
Let's bring back this thread back to life, why not.
Aug 11, 2020 12:11 AM

Apr 2015
Oresama Teacher - same author as Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, I laughed WAY harder and love the characters a lot more, especially the female MC. I believe it would do really well since Gekkan Shoujo already had positive reactions, but sadly I heard the manga already ended so the probability of it getting an anime adaptation is really low T^T

The World God Only Knows 4th season - 3rd season is one of my favorite anime, wish the manga could've been adapted to the very end

These aren't unpopular, but they all ended a few years ago so the probability of getting an anime (re)adaptation is pretty low, but one can still dream:

Bastard - a Webtoon/manhwa like Tower of God and GOHS, I really do want to see it animated so badly. I feel like even if the pacing is messed up as long as the dark tone is set perfectly, it would be super popular. Just...fans, don't overhype it

Gakuen Alice - a remake/full adaptation would be so amazing, it would bring a lot of nostalgia and I'm sure many shoujo fans would love it

Pandora Hearts - same as Gakuen Alice, a remake/full adaptation would be crazy good, but the probability is probably really low. I could only hope for another "Fruits Basket miracle" to happen

Thanks for making and bumping this thread up btw OP, it's pretty interesting and cool reading old replies and seeing several people's wish having been granted here, like Banana Fish and Dorohedoro!

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Aug 11, 2020 1:21 AM

Dec 2009
@AllIsManga
I know right. Hopefully more wishes can come true one day.
I'm curious to see what the new generation has in mind from the people of the past.

As for me, I have a few that are similar to yours.

「Animate」
- All You Need Is Kill
- NG Life
- Haruka na Machi e
- Onanie Master Kurosawa
- Shoujo Fujuubun
- Sugar Dark: Umerareta Yami to Shoujo
- Nekota no Koto ga Kininatte Shikatanai.
- Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite
- Naze Toudouin Seiya 16-sai wa Kanojo ga Dekinai no ka?
- Bokura no Fushidara
- Yukarism

「Continue」
- Tsurezure Children
- Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
- Kimi ni Todoke
- Lucky☆Star
- Beelzebub
- Black Lagoon
- Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!

「Reboot」
- Pandora Hearts
- Spice and Wolf
- Deadman Wonderland
- KimiKiss: Various Heroines
- ReLIFE

... There are a few others that I can't remember their story so I'm not sure if I'd care to want them animated.
Aug 17, 2020 4:36 AM

Aug 2020
Battle Royale. If it was in an OAV format where they wouldn't have to worry about television censorship it could be a fun ride. I've been watching old OAVs with lots of violence and swears and it'd be nice to see some more of these crazy shows again.
Aug 17, 2020 4:54 AM

Nov 2019
Kono ken ga tsuki wo kiru, at least it can be 12 episodes anime
I really love it, but it’s really really totally underrated and all of you probably haven’t hear this manga
𝒷𝓁𝓊𝑒, 𝓌𝒽𝒾𝓉𝑒, 𝑜𝓇 𝓈𝓊𝓃𝓈𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑒 ?
Aug 17, 2020 5:15 AM

Aug 2010
It's nice to see some of the old answers finally got animated.

I wanted Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai to be an anime. There was a 2 minute anime ad to promote the manga, but never a proper anime adaptation, and I don't think there will be any now that the manga is finished.

I also thought Iris Zero had a chance to be animated before, but now I don't know since the manga is constantly on hiatus.
Aug 17, 2020 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko
Again!!
Iris Zero (It's been on hiatus for a long time)
Aug 18, 2020 3:42 AM

Aug 2018
So unpopular it never even got a fan translation (come on guys its been like 30 years!). I know nothing about the series except it is called Manzai Highway and it was published in the 80's.

The rad cover art makes me think this should of got a 80's/90s anime adaption.

I know you should never judge a book by its cover but how could anybody resist that goofy grin!
Aug 18, 2020 10:38 AM

Mar 2020
Gunsmith Cats. I know it has three episodes long OVA from 90s and "Riding Bean" episode from the end of the 80s, but I would like to see a full-fledged anime series.

“In my next life, I want to be me, and meet you again"

Aug 18, 2020 5:58 PM

Sep 2017
I'd love to see Dungeon Meshi animated, I can already imagine the fantasy-like soundtrack
Sep 1, 2020 5:01 PM

Dec 2009
I'll elaborate on my latest list later but for anyone else who hasn't shared their thoughts, let's make this thread active again.
Sep 1, 2020 6:30 PM

Jun 2016
a full OVA adaption of Gunnm by Madhouse would be lit
Sep 2, 2020 7:42 AM

Feb 2016
An adaptation of the Digimon V-Tamer manga would be nice, if only because the current anime sucks and I want something different.
Even better would be an adaptation of Vampire, by Osamu Tezuka. After the success of last year’s Dororo, I think further reboots are likely.

Disregarding my love of the manga, Vampire is a good candidate because part 2 was never finished (or even scanlated). Part 1’s ending may be satisfying enough, but I’m sure Japanese fans would love to see the story continue.
その目だれの目?
Sep 5, 2020 10:17 AM

May 2014
So, for the longest time, I would have said Shaman King but because they recently announced a new Shaman King anime for 2021. I'd love to see a new (complete) Toriko or Fist of the North Star anime. That'd be cool right?
Sep 6, 2020 2:06 AM

Aug 2020
Samurai Deeper Kyos manga is absolutley amazing. In fact, i would go so far saying that tite kubo was very inspired by it when writing bleach because they are somewhat similar in some ways. Anyway, SDK has an anime but that shit sucks. The manga has more volumes then the anime has episodes.

Also, Psyren. Incredible shounen. I see no reason why there would not be an anime made about it. Would be a hit.
You put your dick in a pie!
Sep 6, 2020 11:17 PM

Jan 2015
Dragon Knights, for the love of god Dragon Knights! I've wanted to see that animated since I first bought it like 15 years ago ;_;
Sep 7, 2020 10:52 AM
Jun 2020
Not sure if it counts but Small Girl and Big Girl (Chiisai Nozomi to Ooki na Yume) it's a relatively recent manga (May 2019) it is from the same author as Hanaymata and Dropout Idol Fruit Tart and both of those got anime adaptations so that's a plus.

On the other hand, I worry that it wouldn't succeed due to the fact that's it's ongoing so the plot hasn't been fully developed yet.

Sep 9, 2020 6:59 AM
Jul 2018
bro blue lock definitely needs an anime
Sep 9, 2020 8:37 AM

May 2015
Basically all my favorites, not all of them are unpopular, tho, also Ginga Sengoku Gunyuuden Rai.
Sep 25, 2020 5:38 PM

Dec 2009
waalex11 said:
I'll elaborate on my latest list later but for anyone else who hasn't shared their thoughts, let's make this thread active again.
Procrastination continues... What about you guys?
Sep 25, 2020 7:01 PM
Dec 2017
i am not an angel by Ai Yazawa would be perfect as a full anime adaptation.

Oct 5, 2020 2:17 AM

Jul 2019
I want to see Sun-Ken Rock animated but the art is so great the anime will probably fail at that.

Kengan Ashura deserves a good anime. The manga is the greatest manga I have read but the anime of it sucks ass. It is cg, the skip fights, characters, character development, wholesome moments and such. It just kinda ruins it.
Oct 5, 2020 6:55 PM

Oct 2015
real by takehiko inoue! i would love to see that manga animation one day ;c
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Oct 6, 2020 6:40 PM

Jun 2020
Okuru Kotoba is one of much unpopular manga that I like the most to be animated. I mean, it has only 2 favorites including me lol.

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
ー キノの旅 ー
Oct 6, 2020 6:41 PM
Dec 2017
Neji and I am not an angel

Oct 16, 2020 8:51 PM
Oct 2020
1. Kokou no hito
2. Billy bat
3. 20 Century Boys
4. Onani Master Kurosawa
5. Oyasumi Punpun
6. Innocent
Oct 19, 2020 2:54 AM

Jun 2020
waalex11 said:
@AllIsManga
I know right. Hopefully more wishes can come true one day.
I'm curious to see what the new generation has in mind from the people of the past.

As for me, I have a few that are similar to yours.

「Animate」
- All You Need Is Kill
- NG Life
- Haruka na Machi e
- Onanie Master Kurosawa
- Shoujo Fujuubun
- Sugar Dark: Umerareta Yami to Shoujo
- Nekota no Koto ga Kininatte Shikatanai.
- Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite
- Naze Toudouin Seiya 16-sai wa Kanojo ga Dekinai no ka?
- Bokura no Fushidara
- Yukarism

「Continue」
- Tsurezure Children
- Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
- Kimi ni Todoke
- Lucky☆Star
- Beelzebub
- Black Lagoon
- Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!

「Reboot」
- Pandora Hearts
- Spice and Wolf
- Deadman Wonderland
- ReLIFE

... There are a few others that I can't remember their story so I'm not sure if I'd care to want them animated.

Edge of Tommorow was based off of All You Need is Kill, just realized that.
Oct 20, 2020 3:19 AM

Jan 2020
I would love to see an anime adaptation of Kieli. I think it has enough content for an hour long movie.
Oct 20, 2020 5:30 AM

May 2012
That would turn out really bad in case you mean the original light novel with a content of nine books, but I guess you were talking about the manga adaption anyway, right?

OT: Gabai would make a great, wholesome series, especially if there's ever a need for a sleeping aid, even though it has a lot more to offer. No harm in going to bed with a good feeling.
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Oct 20, 2020 6:57 AM

Apr 2019
Masturbation master kurosawa
i would love to see the cum chalice animated
Oct 20, 2020 7:19 AM

Jun 2015
I'd love for With the Light to get an adaptation someday.

Moto Hagio's "Hanshin" getting an experimental short film would also be awesome.

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Oct 20, 2020 8:17 AM
Dec 2017
Godchild and Angel Sanctuary and I am not an angel

Oct 24, 2020 3:33 PM

Dec 2009
Time to kill that procrastination and review my latest wishes of forgotten manga.

「NG Life」
I've already stated several times but I would fucking love to see this manga animated as one of if not my top favorite manga of all time for the beautiful variety of conflict in the protagonist's struggle of guilt to his past for failing to save his wife who's now reincarnated as a boy, with the comedy and intriguing insight of his whenever he meets someone from the past or interacts with them, to finally his acceptance of present and love for his former male friend now reincarnated as his female friend.

「Pandora Hearts」
I don't clearly remember nor did I fully comprehend the last arc for whatever reason so I should reread it one day but I think Pandora Hearts is an amazing rich unique story of mystery from Alice and the contractor's/monsters that I would love to see fully adapted in a reboot.

「Deadman Wonderland」
Another great unique action mystery story that would be awesome to see fully adapted.

「All You Need Is Kill」
It's been adapted into a great live-action as Edge of Tomorrow but even though the ending of the original story is depressing, I'd like to see it animated.

「ReLIFE」
The current anime adaption was not exactly terrible but mediocre.
Incorrect art/character design from the gorgeous original manga, inappropriate dull OST in setting the mood of the story, ok cast and in the end cutout incomplete adaption which would be appreciated to see adapted fully and properly.

「Tsurezure Children」
This just needs continued seasons. Some of the couple's/pairing's aren'y extraordinarily satisfying in their ending progress but nonetheless they all have a conclusion and a fun journey. It'd be nice to see the rest adapted.

「Shoujo Fujuubun」
I'd love to experience the tense atmosphere and traumatic reveal in animation. I think it'd be perfect as an anime movie.

「Bokura no Fushidara」
To my personal taste, this is underrated. The sexual attachment involved in the story may be uncomfortable or simply displeasing to some but for what it is I think it's great and works for its purpose in the story as a fun ride of emotional trauma from the female protagonist and fascinating plot twist in the end.

「Nekota no Koto ga Kininatte Shikatanai.」
Beautiful young teenage romance.
The charm of Miki the female protagonist is rare as a little girl who's very candid and mature of respect to others and herself with the intriguing mild supernatural aspect of her being the only person who sees this boy with a cat head, until slowly their relationship develops and eventually turns into love when her innocent clueless mind to romance starts realizing what love is.

「Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!」
The fact that we don't see the pairing date in the end is extremely frustrating but regardless the journey is adorable and hilarious.
If the anime adapted that lackluster romance after they finally confess, I'd love to see it animated.

「Isshuukan Friends.」
The original manga's ending is a similar cliffhanger of the young teenager's not becoming a couple with only the thought that they will in the future, but I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the story adapted for the continued drama and progress of their relationship.

「Let's☆Lagoon」
The characters aren't the most solid and the fact that there's no epilogue to the amazing supernatural mysterious journey sucks but it was still a great read, so. If it adapted with an epilogue. That'd be awesome.

「Onanie Master Kurosawa」
Funny, I don't remember what it's really about except for empathy for revenge from bullying and masturbation but, it'd be cool to see this story animated.
Although with the inclusion of the sequel novel and more afterwards because the sequel didn't conclude the story and left more.

「Chikan Otoko」
From the same author ... another great story that'd be fun to experience animated.

「Sugar Dark: Umerareta Yami to Shoujo」
I should reread this because I may have it slightly overrated it but I fondly remember it for being unique and dark in some way with monsters and saving the female.

「Naze Toudouin Seiya 16-sai wa Kanojo ga Dekinai no ka?」
Disappointing ending since he fails to win any girl's heart to become his girlfriend even though he is determined to continue his grind in college ...which I wish the mangaka would make a fucking sequel of, but... the journey of his struggle of constant denial, desperation and insecurity was epic to read.

「Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite」
I remember the basis of the story and how thrilling it was to go through the concept of time travel which if done right I'm a sucker for, but unfortunately even though I don't remember it clearly (read it twice) ... based off my notes, the cliffhanger ending and choose of a heroine I don't approve of was disappointing, but still a cool read.

「Haruka na Machi e」
Another time travel. There's a fair amount, and this one isn't exactly unique from the common old man goes back to the past as a kid to relive his life.
Although, this one does it right, with the realization of appreciation of his parents, saving his family which he couldn't in the past, with the understanding and acceptance of parents reflecting on himself from the man he was with his own. It's kinda simple but very well executed.
If it never becomes animated. I'd love to see it in live-action with a good cast/director/etc.

... Finally a list of manga that I care less for in wishing to being adapted, either from slight lackluster endings, or whatever.
- Fudatsuki no Kyouko-chan
- Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de.
- Hatsukoi Losstime
- Hadi Girl
- Yukarism
- Kanojo wa Rokurokubi
- Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku.
- Tsugihagi na Kanojo
- Usotsuki Lily
- Beelzebub
- Shi ni Itaru Yamai
- Kimi ni shika Kikoenai
- Tenshi Kinryouku
- Lock On!

... I never bothered watching KimiKiss for knowing it's a bad adaption and the manga is a very enjoyable sweet read of a romance. I don't remember exactly why Hadi Girl was a little lackluster, but I think it's because it was too short with no dating.
Lock On! is short and simple but sweet even though it's nothing really special. Beelzebub would be cool to see finished for the better later arcs and fights but whatever. Hatsukoi Losstime would be a fun ride even though the lack of an epilogue is a little frustrating.
Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de., Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku., Kimi ni shika Kikoenai, and Shi ni Itaru Yamai I don't remember their story but I feel like I remember them being good romance drama's.
Tenshi Kinryouku is too long but still a cool journey that may be fun to experience again fully animated.
Oct 25, 2020 7:57 AM
Jul 2018
ROOKIES!!!! It has similar vibes to GTO. The plot is there, great characters with existent character development, super funny but the seriousness is there.. It's wholesome really. I think a lot of people would enjoy it. There isn't even an English license for it so the whole manga was fan-translated from both french and japanese. I also noticed that french manga publishers have great taste in good manga, the less unknown but really good ones are always somewhere to find in french.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Which manga series do you think should get a special omnibus edition print? ( 1 2 )

Fario-P - Mar 6, 2022

63 by Lucifrost »»
45 minutes ago

» Where do you buy your manga from?

draining - May 15, 2020

36 by Maou_heika »»
54 minutes ago

» how to read manga correctly?

N0B0DDy - Apr 11, 2017

14 by Rndmguypassingby »»
5 hours ago

» is "Shiba Inu Rooms" just not in the database yet?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

0 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 9:35 PM

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1106 by PreachElectrick »»
Yesterday, 5:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.