Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Aug 14, 2016 2:03 PM

Nov 2013
Idiotproofninja said:
Heitokun said:

Nanashi mate, Satella killed Emilia because SHE KNEW Subaru wanted Emilia to know about his ability, you must understand that...
...She didn't do anything this time because she knows Subaru didn't say that with the intention of people finding out about his ability, but because he needed his scent to grow stronger, if you want to understand why Satella is doing this, then...

If that is true that's a HUGE Spoiler dude.

That's why I put a spoiler tag lol.
Aug 14, 2016 2:04 PM
Jul 2016
Idiotproofninja said:
Buck_Wade said:

How is this not obvious though? He was intending to fully tell Emilia about the curse, while on the battlefield he yelled, "I can return BY death". What does that mean from their perspective anyway?

Has anyone wondered what would happen if Subaru wrote ' I can return by death' in Japanese passed it to someone and then taught someone how to read Japanese.

It's clear by now that the witch is very conscious of Subaru's intentions and actions.
Aug 14, 2016 2:05 PM

Jan 2011
Well at least something happened. The action was ok, but nothing groundbreaking. Couldn't feel Wilhelm's story as much as it was meant to be. His backstory seemed a tad stock. They didn't add in the parts where he connected with her and ultimately lost her, but perhaps they'll flesh that out later. The white whale's form wasn't as impressive as when he was lucking in the shadows, barely visible. The whale triplets caught me off-guard but other than that I was somewhat interested, as in hoping the fight would be concluded.
Aug 14, 2016 2:06 PM
Dec 2015
Buck_Wade said:
Idiotproofninja said:

Has anyone wondered what would happen if Subaru wrote ' I can return by death' in Japanese passed it to someone and then taught someone how to read Japanese.

It's clear by now that the witch is very conscious of Subaru's intentions and actions.

So she can think in Japanese? A language that doesn't exist in that universe?
Aug 14, 2016 2:07 PM

Jul 2009
SuperKirei said:
Jonny_Mhl said:
@SuperKirei stop acting like a retard, want to talk with Tyrel again?

Considering that using language lighter than this has caused people to get in trouble with the moderators, I think the better question is whether you want to speak with him. I can have it arranged immediately.

Yes let's call him, since I'm not the one shitposting and trolling like a kid which is begging for attention I have my doubts if he will speak to me.
Aug 14, 2016 2:08 PM
Dec 2015
QWERTYFish25 said:
Well at least something happened. The action was ok, but nothing groundbreaking. Couldn't feel Wilhelm's story as much as it was meant to be. His backstory seemed a tad stock. They didn't add in the parts where he connected with her and ultimately lost her, but perhaps they'll flesh that out later. The white whale's form wasn't as impressive as when he was lucking in the shadows, barely visible. The whale triplets caught me off-guard but other than that I was somewhat interested, as in hoping the fight would be concluded.

The problem is that after the story I knew nothing about his wife's personality as a character besides what I already knew. Which is she likes flowers.
Aug 14, 2016 2:09 PM

Jan 2011
Illyricus said:

Btw, those Satella's lips looked hot as fuck.

Dick soul sucking lips.

Heitokun said:

Nanashi mate, Satella killed Emilia because SHE KNEW Subaru wanted Emilia to know about his ability, you must understand that...
But wouldn't Emilia have died when Subaru first discovered the mechanic? I mean he had intention to tel her, right? But then again backtracking I guess there's that "time-freeze" where Satella communes "Do really want to do that? No? That's what I thought, carry on."

Jonny_Mhl said:
SuperKirei said:

Considering that using language lighter than this has caused people to get in trouble with the moderators, I think the better question is whether you want to speak with him. I can have it arranged immediately.

Yes let's call him, since I'm not the one shitposting and trolling like a kid which is begging for attention I have my doubts if he will speak to me.

Apparently mods don't mind using this language, otherwise the feuds with Jagd would be a lot shorter.
QWERTYFish25Aug 14, 2016 2:12 PM
Aug 14, 2016 2:10 PM

Dec 2014
Got plenty of monster hunter vibes from this. That Dah'ren Mohren hunt-a-thon.
I need sleep.
Aug 14, 2016 2:11 PM
Jul 2016
Idiotproofninja said:
Buck_Wade said:

*facepalms* Okay. It's extremely clear by now that there PROBABLY is a very clear connection between Subaru and the Witch. My (obvious) theory is that the two actually know each other in some way prior to the events of Re: Zero, so for some reason the Witch transported Subaru to the fantasy world, where he first realized that everyone, to him anyways, is speaking in Japanese. Who else could've done that?
Aug 14, 2016 2:12 PM
Dec 2015
QWERTYFish25 said:
Heitokun said:

But wouldn't Emilia have died when Subaru first discovered the mechanic? I mean he had intention to tel her, right? But then again backtracking I guess there's that "time-freeze" where Satella communes "Do really want to do that? No? That's what I thought, carry on."

That's the problem when you try to semi-explain things. I'm not a massive fan of exposition narration but when you are in a fantasy world where the rules of magic isn't clear to the audience. It's better to at least subtly hint what's happening.

Buck_Wade said:
Idiotproofninja said:

*facepalms* Okay. It's extremely clear by now that there PROBABLY is a very clear connection between Subaru and the Witch. My (obvious) theory is that the two actually know each other in some way prior to the events of Re: Zero, so for some reason the Witch transported Subaru to the fantasy world, where he first realized that everyone, to him anyways, is speaking in Japanese. Who else could've done that?

They don't write in Japanese though. Does the Witch Understand English? I'm sure even a Neet can write Return by Death in English right?
Aug 14, 2016 2:14 PM
Nov 2013
I swear to god people confuse art and animation so damn much it pisses me off. The animation was awesome, and the art surely wasn't bad either. The dynamics and fluidity were both very impressive.

Also, it was great seeing what everyone could do and it was a very fun watch. Wilheim is epic and I hope he lives, plus the ending....damn.

5/5 easy.
Aug 14, 2016 2:15 PM

Aug 2015
Reading some comments here, I feel like I've seen a different episode. Huge drop in animation quality, tons of reused scenes, flow of the fight didn't feel smooth at all.

In general a nice episode but it's sad to see the quality dropping.

Nov 2013
QWERTYFish25 said:
Heitokun said:

When Subaru first discovered that ability, it's as you said, the witch created an intense sense of fear in him, thus he thought "I better don't try that shit again, it might be bad", as time passed he ignored this and the witch had to be less subtle, and then well, she grew tired of his bs and had to kill Emilia, this time she just said, "well, I get it, he just wants my scent to be stronger in him", the witch can sense Subaru's intentions, per se, so yeah.
Dec 2015
crystalblade13 said:
I swear to god people confuse art and animation so damn much it pisses me off. The animation was awesome, and the art surely wasn't bad either. The dynamics and fluidity were both very impressive.

Also, it was great seeing what everyone could do and it was a very fun watch. Wilheim is epic and I hope he lives, plus the ending....damn.

5/5 easy.

Are you hoping for another Reset?

Jan 2011
Idiotproofninja said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

That's the problem when you try to semi-explain things. I'm not a massive fan of exposition narration but when you are in a fantasy world where the rules of magic isn't clear to the audience. It's better to at least subtly hint what's happening.

Buck_Wade said:

They don't write in Japanese though.

One thing I liked about Babylon 5 was the drive to explain certain mechanics through dialogue. Yes I know it's a different medium and had a lot of opportunities for it. Don't really irk me, and in a way I can deal with the assumption I made being it not being a question of being unable but being intimidated into saying nothing in which Satella ups the ante.
Aug 14, 2016 2:16 PM
Jul 2016
Idiotproofninja said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

Buck_Wade said:

They don't write in Japanese though.

And there have been PLENTY of subtle hints of what's going on and short bursts of exposition told through dialogue:

A 17 year old gets randomly transported into a fantasy world where everyone to him speaks in Japanese, as he hears, when they aren't. He smells like the Witch, who is pretty much Voldemort, and probably appeared beside him in ep 20.

The Witch's Cult mentions something about a trial that Emilia has to go through, are after her, and she resembles the Witch.

How Gates work, as Emilia and Puck explained.
Aug 14, 2016 2:17 PM

Oct 2014
Idiotproofninja said:
FlamepriesT said:
The witch can't kill Subaru? Inb4 Subaru starts killing villains by telling them he can return by death. huehuehue

I wonder if this would work he says 'Death by return can I' and tells the other person to flip those words around. Would the curse still take effect?

The witch isnt a retard
Aug 14, 2016 2:17 PM

Jul 2013
Btw, the most shocking truth of this is that the White Whale is not a whale...

Aug 14, 2016 2:18 PM

Jan 2013
Idiotproofninja said:
FlamepriesT said:
The witch can't kill Subaru? Inb4 Subaru starts killing villains by telling them he can return by death. huehuehue

I wonder if this would work he says 'Death by return can I' and tells the other person to flip those words around. Would the curse still take effect?

dude satella is keeping full eyes on him, he cant trick her
Aug 14, 2016 2:18 PM
Dec 2015
mael9740 said:
Idiotproofninja said:

The witch isnt a retard

Has he ever tried it? Sexy No Justu worked against Kaguya and Stupider things have worked against Higher Beings. A boat managed to piss off Cthulhu.

juicykitten95 said:
Idiotproofninja said:

You can't say can't if you don't even try.
Aug 14, 2016 2:19 PM
Nov 2013
SuperKirei said:
Koyomo said:

Subaru isn't fucking Goku, there are other people who have actual *Fighting* ability.

So why is the story not about them? Why are we following someone who plays no important part in this matter?

Cause he TOTALLY didn't get this whole army together.

Facepalm.
Aug 14, 2016 2:19 PM
Jul 2016
Idiotproofninja said:
FlamepriesT said:

Look what @Heitokun said. /\ /\
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2016 2:21 PM
Dec 2015
Killer96bee said:
Idiotproofninja said:

So far the only thing the show has confirmed is VERBAL use of those specific words with intention causes an effect. Writing or scrambling those words has no precedent. Dorothy killed witches with water and could have easily returned home if she clicked her heels. Maybe it's THAT SIMPLE but no one tried it.
Aug 14, 2016 2:21 PM

Nov 2007
The anime has taken a bit damper since the whole killing the whale thing started. If this continues for 2 more episodes, I thing I shall lower my overall score for the anime.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 14, 2016 2:22 PM

Oct 2014
Idiotproofninja said:
mael9740 said:

The witch isnt a retard

Has he ever tried it? Sexy No Justu worked against Kaguya and Stupider things have worked against Higher Beings. A boat managed to piss off Cthulhu.

juicykitten95 said:

I would not try.
Don't forget SHE gave this power to subaru and she can put it off and then kill him.
And also don't forget she is old. veeeeeeeery old. She isnt a big-boobed stupid anime grill.
Aug 14, 2016 2:22 PM
Dec 2015
mael9740 said:
Idiotproofninja said:

I would not try.
Don't forget SHE gave this power to subaru and she can put it off and then kill him.
And also don't forget she is old. veeeeeeeery old. She isnt a big-boobed stupid anime grill.

Dorothy killed witches with water and could have easily returned home if she clicked her heels. Maybe it's THAT SIMPLE but no one tried it. She must suck at her job for conquering nothing after being so old.
Aug 14, 2016 2:24 PM

Oct 2014
Idiotproofninja said:
mael9740 said:

I would not try.

Dorothy killed witches with water and could have easily returned home if she clicked her heels. Maybe it's THAT SIMPLE but no one tried it.

Risking the world end just to say that is not worth it.
Aug 14, 2016 2:25 PM

Nov 2013
Idiotproofninja said:
Killer96bee said:

So far the only thing the show has confirmed is VERBAL use of those specific words with intention causes an effect. Writing or scrambling those words has no precedent.

In that you are correct, the things you say don't matter, if Subaru says those words with determination of a 3rd person knowing of his ability then Satella will act, if if Subaru says those words with different intentions (and it really depends on what kind of intentions Subaru has) Satella will spare him, but as someone else has pointed out, satella is not a retard, she knows what's best for her, she will only allow what suits her best.
Aug 14, 2016 2:25 PM
Dec 2015
mael9740 said:
Idiotproofninja said:

Dorothy killed witches with water and could have easily returned home if she clicked her heels. Maybe it's THAT SIMPLE but no one tried it.

She doesn't have the power to end the world come on. Her magic is so weak a few stones can stop her monsters. Even the White witch from Narnia has more power over her domain.

Heitokun said:
Idiotproofninja said:

So far the only thing the show has confirmed is VERBAL use of those specific words with intention causes an effect. Writing or scrambling those words has no precedent.

In that you are correct, the things you say don't matter, if Subaru says those words with determination of a 3rd person knowing of his ability then Satella will act, if if Subaru says those words with different intentions (and it really depends on what kind of intentions Subaru has) Satella will spare him, but as someone else has pointed out, satella is not a retard, she knows what's best for her, she will only allow what suits her best.

She just sucks at her job . Even the White witch from Narnia has more control over her domain.
Aug 14, 2016 2:28 PM

Jan 2011
How's this for reasons why Satella does what she does? Emilia is a vessel or important to the witches plans. She takes Subaru and puts him into this world and gives him a power that will enable him to backtrack infinitely to protect Emilia for all harm. He doesn't have to be strong he just needs to be at the right place at the right time. Nudge people in the right direction or complicate situations just enough to keep Satella's desires possible while opposition who may be trying to destroy Emilia or Satella's goals from occurring. She needs Emilia be she needs her in a specific state and time and Subaru is a type of trouble shooter that piece by piece unravels Emilia's protection just enough to put her in the witch's hands without being noticed or Emilia being turned away.

mael9740 said:

Like how a certain first one gets bated by a member of an infant race.

QWERTYFish25Aug 14, 2016 2:31 PM
Aug 14, 2016 2:29 PM

Sep 2013
That was an amazing episode and so many feels for Wilhelm. But this show, I swear it's the form given to the word "Relentless"
Aug 14, 2016 2:30 PM

Nov 2013
Idiotproofninja said:
mael9740 said:

She doesn't have the power to end the world come on. Her magic is so weak a few stones can stop her monsters. Even the White witch from Narnia has more power over her domain.

Heitokun said:

She just sucks at her job . Even the White witch from Narnia has more control over her domain.

Well maybe, but the White Witch was alive and free...Satella is not free, besides, there's still a lot of things we don't learn about her until the 4th arc, give it time, you'll find the answers you seek young padawan.
Aug 14, 2016 2:30 PM

Aug 2016
What a nice episode of Deadliest Catc- What? This is Re:Zero...? Ohhhhhh

Rant time
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Aug 14, 2016 2:31 PM
Dec 2015
QWERTYFish25 said:
How's this for reasons why Satella does what she does? Emilia is a vessel or important to the witches plans. She takes Subaru and puts him into this world and gives him a power that will enable him to backtrack infinitely to protect Emilia for all harm. He doesn't have to be strong he just needs to be at the right place at the right time. Nudge people in the right direction or complicate situations just enough to keep Satella's desires possible while opposition who may be trying to destroy Emilia or Satella's goals from occurring. She needs Emilia be she needs her in a specific state and time and Subaru is a type of trouble shooter that piece by piece unravels Emilia's protection just enough to put her in the witch's hands without being noticed or Emilia being turned away.

Nothing really matters because Emilia is a redshirt in Star Trek with a Delorean. Her job is to die to create drama and Subaru's Job is to die and to timetravel with his Delorean and save her.

Heitokun said:
Idiotproofninja said:

Well maybe, but the White Witch was alive and free...Satella is not free, besides, there's still a lot of things we don't learn about her until the 4th arc, give it time, you'll find the answers you seek young padawan.

Which is why I said she sucks at her job. Lives for so long and still gets trapped without conquering anything. Pathetic. She makes the witch in Dorothy look powerful.

Feb 2015
I didn't feel anything from those flashback tho :c
but i like how they made it. but i think it could be way better at how they handle the characterization. just ma opinion tho...

Overall, this episode is....a....crazy one.....especially dat ending.
there is a hint too about witch cult, or maybe satella ? when subaru said the taboo words, suddenly, for just a second someone appeared behind him...i wonder who was that. either satella (jealous witch) or the human form of those white whale of gluttony.

tbh, i kinda saw that the old man will die. i kinda saw it a bit from the previous episode so that death didn't suprise me that much but when the wolf guy died in this episode, right after the old man died....that suprised me. like, two in a row. two guy that they need for that fight, died. AND MOREOVER.......WE GOT THREE WHALE APPEARED AT THE END OF THE EPISODE. If reinhard appear, i can still see the chance of winning from this battle, but....if he will not appear, i don't think they could win that battle unless they escape from it. or maybe crusch will kill it herself ? but somehow i doubt that.

and one more thing, is reinhard actually Thearesia's child ? then it means reinhard is wihelm child too. lol, i just realize that. really wish reinhard to appear in the next episode.

but again, seriously, the heck with the three whale. taking one of them already freaking difficult, now they got three of them to handle. madness.

looking foward to the nex episode!!! xD
YizelTroAug 14, 2016 2:34 PM

Oct 2014
Idiotproofninja said:
mael9740 said:

Heitokun said:

She just sucks at her job again. Even the White witch from Narnia has more control over her domain.

No more subaru > Emilia get killed by witch cult > Pack destroy the world

Heitokun said:
Idiotproofninja said:

He just have to understand Satalla is not just a basic program but a real person, that on top of that, have lots of magic powers. She always have an eye on his beloved Subaru.
Emila got killed for two reasons:
1- Killing her will hurt Subaru more than he dying
2- (just a theory, i don't think its that tough) The Witch is being jealous and don't want him to give his secret that these two shares to another person, especially if its a girl (that he love, on top of all).
Aug 14, 2016 2:32 PM

Nov 2013
QWERTYFish25 said:

mael9740 said:

As a LN and WN reader, i'm impressed, you might be onto something...just saying.
Aug 14, 2016 2:32 PM

Aug 2015
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse lol , 3 Whales , how are they going to defeat them
Aug 14, 2016 2:33 PM
Jul 2016
Just beautiful, from the action to the flashbacks, this episode was 10/5 for sure ! And the ending man ! I love how white fox leaves you wanting more and more everytime !

Aug 2014
1- Add flash back so we can relate to the old man's rage
2-Add pretty wife to his past so we can also be angry that the whale killed potent wife
3-Kill off old man

What a episode.

Jan 2015
Poor wolf guy :( -the captain.
Also what did subaru mean by 'im back'? from where? -'After he said i return by death to- '
Aug 14, 2016 2:35 PM
Dec 2015
mael9740 said:
Idiotproofninja said:

She just sucks at her job again. Even the White witch from Narnia has more control over her domain.

Heitokun said:

He just have to understand Satalla is not just a basic program but a real person, that on top of that, have lots of magic powers. She always have an eye on his beloved Subaru.
2- (just a theory, i don't think its that tough) The Witch is being jealous and don't want him to give his secret that these two shares to another person, especially if its a girl (that he love, on top of all).

I fixed it.

No more Subaru > Emilia Dies > Puck attempts to destroy the world > Gets his ass WHOOPED by a more powerful entity aka GOD of that universe.

Sep 2011
I was already expecting those two might die but I didn't totally expect that more than one White Whale.

Oct 2014
Heitokun said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

As a LN and WN reader, i'm impressed, you might be onto something...just saying.

Aug 14, 2016 2:36 PM

Aug 2016
Tevens said:

tbh, i kinda saw that the old man will die.

He's not dead. I haven't even read ahead, but I know he's not dead. It's the swallowed whole trope. He'll either carve his way out, or someone else will. That's how these things typically go.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Aug 14, 2016 2:39 PM

Nov 2013
Idiotproofninja said:
mael9740 said:

I fixed it.

No more Subaru > Emilia Dies > Puck attempts to destroy the world > Gets his ass WHOOPED by a more powerful entity aka GOD of that universe.

Yeah, Puck is op. but there are people more powerful than him *cough*
Aug 14, 2016 2:40 PM

Sep 2013
With all the superhuman running and leaping stuff Wilhelm did this episode, I was really surprised to see him just sit there on the ground and let the whale scoop him up like that. I figured he'd run straight down the thing's throat, carving it a new asshole along the way.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Aug 14, 2016 2:40 PM
Dec 2015
Tennouji said:
I was already expecting those two might die but I didn't totally expect that more than one White Whale.

They are redshirts anyways. Their death was insignificant.

Psyotic said:
Tevens said:

tbh, i kinda saw that the old man will die.

He's not dead. I haven't even read ahead, but I know he's not dead. It's the swallowed whole trope. He'll either carve his way out, or someone else will. That's how these things typically go.

He should have taught his wife the carving out technique then eh.

Talon184 said:
With all the superhuman running and leaping stuff Wilhelm did this episode, I was really surprised to see him just sit there on the ground and let the whale scoop him up like that. I figured he'd run straight down the thing's throat, carving it a new asshole along the way.

Maybe he wanted to play Sudoku with his waifu.
Aug 14, 2016 2:41 PM

Oct 2012
I dunno... whole Wilhelm's backstory fell flat to me, and the moment I first saw his flashback I knew he's gonna die. Although I have to say his wife was good looking. So he had learnt there are other things in his life than just fighting and that there is always someone better than him, I get it. But his death was really pointless (not to mention his skills were almost unreal).

Also, the last time Subaru tried to spell out loud Return by Death Emilia died. So either he learnt nothing from that moment or he is actually pretty stupid to forget that if he was willing to risk Rem's life.
It really seemed this was omitted intentionally (only to bring it later) because author didn't wanted to deal with that at this moment.

The actual fight and action was good (though wtf were those laser cannons) but those other whales left me ambivalent, I don't think it was necessary to add more the situation was dire as it was.

Weakly written episode.
Aug 14, 2016 2:41 PM

Sep 2015
I hope the Butler is alive and cuts open his way out of the whale he is inside of.
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1724 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 1, 10:23 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

589 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 1, 3:39 AM

» What happened to Emilia’s votes?

KillLaKillGOAT - May 29

7 by Phloup »»
May 29, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

1373 by kakaronie »»
May 28, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

617 by AnimatedAddict »»
May 26, 9:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.