Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 »
Jul 23, 2016 5:31 PM

Mar 2016
Protoz said:
Seems to me the Whale farted bcoz it never saw teenager holding a cellphone before.. LOL
Anyway, where the hell she just pulled a bag of coins from? And if Rem mentioned it in ep 14, doesn't it means the Whale would have farted and blocked the path even without Subaru's interference?

Roswaal left a pretty hefty sum of money with Rem to take care of their living expenses.

And yes, the whale would have appeared and fogged up the area regardless of Subaru and co's presence. It just so happens that Subaru departed a day earlier this loop, so news of the whale's appearance has not yet reached the capital.
Jul 23, 2016 8:58 PM

Jul 2008
Subaru sucks in negotiation sigh >.<" in the end all the girls end up taking advantage of him :(
Jul 23, 2016 10:06 PM

Jul 2013
Haha look at this dude. Subaru deserved every bit of it.
Jul 24, 2016 1:13 AM
Dec 2013
_Hans_ said:
Mich666 said:
WTF happened in the end? Was that some kind of illusion? Seems Rem noticed nothing, in fact, she was unnaturaly still near him when the dragon appeared. Of course they may lead them to the tree intentionally, to ambush them. And I wonder what consequence of taking mobile phone out would be.

Anyway, this episode was nice in showing him that they can believe noone. Crusch does only what benefits her (interesting that Subaru now thinks more of those people and Rem than Emilia), Priscilla despises lowly people more than anything (although she was wrong on the reason why he wanted lick her - it was more out of despair rather than out of servility; and she looked great in that see-through dress) and Anastasia is expert manipulator.. but even she was wrong that noone can change the past though.

The thing of note here is that Jealous Witch must be happy he can't control his anger anymore - I bet that's where she wanted to have him - on brink of madness.

The question here is also the real agenda of all these three and who payed those cultists to kill Emilia and get magrave's land out of the way. It seems that only one who would be able to help him in the end is Felt.

Even though I think that in next ressurection he'll try negotiate with everyone using what he had learnt this time.

White whale can erase an entire existance. That man who disappeared doesnt exist anymore. Thats why the merchant guy was like "Who are yo talking about?"

But Subaru remembers him.
Jul 24, 2016 1:17 AM

Jul 2011
Aines445 said:
Somehow, Subaru is a greedy pig for giving up his dignity for help? If it was to save lives, especially of people I find dear, I'd lick anyone's foot any day. There is no greed in morality.

I think its more of a matter dignity and honor should be priceless for someone daring enough to call themselves a knight. There are always going to be more dignified ways of achieving his goals, yet he so easily cast it aside for a relatively easy solution. Maybe its relate-able from our perspective but he's supposed to be the Hero in this fantasy world, even though he went into it not one at all. The advice they're giving him is supposed to shape him into the clever, strong, and dignified MC needed to overcome this struggle.

At least that's what I'm hoping happens. It just doesn't seem like a sensible writing direction to give him all of this advice from major characters in powerful positions just to have him dick through it without heeding any of it, and being relatively the same character from the beginning of the arc.
Jul 24, 2016 2:01 AM
Jul 2018
simonli2575 said:
_Hans_ said:

White whale can erase an entire existance. That man who disappeared doesnt exist anymore. Thats why the merchant guy was like "Who are yo talking about?"

But Subaru remembers him.

We can guess that the Witch's influence on Subaru immunizes him against the whale's ability. Subaru is permanent. Meaning that his memories should also be... Erasing Subaru's memories would mean that the whale could also erase his existence...
Jul 24, 2016 2:03 AM

Mar 2015
Waiting for episode 17 :)
Jul 24, 2016 6:53 AM

Feb 2016
Silversoul92 said:
Aha yeah, can't wait for it either
Jul 24, 2016 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
Lowy said:
Silversoul92 said:
Aha yeah, can't wait for it either

C-C-Come! *Insert comment relevant to the episode here* Oh I liked what was shown about the relationship between Aldebaran and Priscilla...
Jul 24, 2016 11:13 AM

Jul 2015
>It's another Subaru gets BTFO by everyone episode
Jul 25, 2016 11:42 AM

Apr 2015
Just 1 bullet for the princess PL0X. JUST 1.

Bitch acting all mighty...

Anyway more cringe worthy moments, ugh I don't like this.
Jul 26, 2016 6:31 PM

Jul 2009
Subaru needs to learn more, all girls knows very well how to deal with others or ask favors.
Also, he really never said he wanted to save Emilia =/
Jul 26, 2016 7:40 PM

Sep 2013
Ikkakun said:

I think its more of a matter dignity and honor should be priceless for someone daring enough to call themselves a knight. There are always going to be more dignified ways of achieving his goals, yet he so easily cast it aside for a relatively easy solution. Maybe its relate-able from our perspective but he's supposed to be the Hero in this fantasy world, even though he went into it not one at all. The advice they're giving him is supposed to shape him into the clever, strong, and dignified MC needed to overcome this struggle.

At least that's what I'm hoping happens. It just doesn't seem like a sensible writing direction to give him all of this advice from major characters in powerful positions just to have him dick through it without heeding any of it, and being relatively the same character from the beginning of the arc.

If so, it's not delivered in an evident manner. I can tell that Subaru is supposed to learn from this, but the lesson itself isn't very clear beyond her initial stuff about how asking for the enemy's help is so disadvantageous that Emilia might as well die. Besides, Subaru wasn't taking the easy way out asking for Priscilla's help: he's begging to the enemy, after all; it's pure desperation. Maybe one can see it that way in the sense that Subaru is seeing to it other people do all the work for him in saving people when it's only his own business, but that seems far-fetched and not particularly correct.

It'd be really sad if a hero is apparently not supposed to make sacrifices for the sake of saving other people. This is my personal view on it, which perhaps contradicts the anime's and that's what makes me not understand it, but more self-worth would be felt off of saving others, even if it involves licking feet as though you're a servant. The scene wasn't a very heartwrenching dilemma: it wasn't as though he would die for it or lose something important. Unless I'm just seeing it wrong, that is... Maybe there were better ways for Subaru to achieve his goals, but she should assume he's doing it bcause there aren't. If there were, he wouldn't be licking her foot. I dunno, it just doesn't make sense to me that he's being called a greedy pig, and Priscilla did not deign to expose why she thought that way :/

I'm holding the same hopes as you. At least, if this episode is around, it should be around for a purpose, which SHOULD be to develop Subaru's character; I mean, what else? At this point, I'm waiting for him to finally come around and do smart things.

Judgment526 said:

This is one of the inevitable consequences of the anime featuring a super-condensed version of the original candidate meeting scene. In the LN, each candidate was painted as controversial, yet convincing at the same time, but since the anime reduced each candidate's spotlight to essentially one line per person, it was pretty much impossible to convey any of this properly.

If the candidates originally had more time in the spotlight and better dialogue from them that did paint them as controversial, yet convincing, then I would've certainly loved to see it. It's unfortunate it turned out with such a pacing instead. There were so many interruptions, and I overall didn't feel as though the scene was handled with the maturity it deserved. It was possibly the most disappointing scene in the anime, in my opinion. I understand the time constraints, but I think the anime would've benefitted from making the most out of that scene, seeing as the scale of the event, or at least its meaning, should have been more than considerable (though, maybe it isn't important in the context of the plot, but if that's the case, this is a really disappointing fact).

Either way, the fact that the source material did it better does not change the scene's quality, unfortunately.

UltraDirector said:

It was explained in the episode where we met Beatrice that the Library is a physical location within the mansion and Beatrice's magic connects the entrance to the Library to a random door of her choosing ex. A bedroom door in a hallway. People from the mansion are not allowed to use the library because Rosewall keeps a plethora of valuable books and magical tomes in there that he want to keep from prying eyes, and Beatrice is a trusted contractor whose job is to protect them.

You're right. I'll apologize for the claim. It would be weird if everyone had the time to open a bunch of doors looking for Beatrice. Even then, it's a bit disturbing that there is no other immediate way to contact Beatrice.

Rehls said:

They're familiar with the people there. And they don't have what to hide. Their intentions are clear. We can presume that they've a known reputation in the kingdom. (Priscilla called the knight by his name. Crusch called Maicrotof 'old man' and such. Crusch was said to be a Duchess. She's well known, then. Should be the same for the others. Except Emilia and Felt. The others were strong individuals, but the other two weren't.)

Even if these people have a reputation, they're not going to perpetuate it if it gives them a bad image. It just isn't a smart move. Anastasia could already be known for her greed and longing for everything, but if she claims it, she's done because she just confirmed it; there's no way out of it then. Would you admit to this if you wanted to be the ruler of the nation? To be accepted, you have to be trusted, or at least feared (and even then, that isn't acceptance and not a safe choice). Someone famous builds an image, for better or worse, and they have to constantly make sure they aren't caught in some scandal (or maybe the opposite if they thrive off of controversy, but even if this is argued for Anastasia's case, it does not work because she's wanting to rule the nation; any politician has some sort of ideological appeal). Tiny mistakes we make are great mistakes to those in the spotlight.

Companies with terrible work conditions do not admit to their terrible work conditions, even if everyone sort of already knows. Anastasia, as a candidate for ruling the nation, would not find it a smart move to flat out say her ulterior motives, especially if they promise no benefits to everyone involved, at least, if she wants the people to like her or trust her. Would you entrust the kingdom to her after hearing her words? If she had perhaps said something different, you would've been able to doubt her reputation: since you don't have any guarantee of how truthful her reputation and rumors surrounding her are, if she gives you a good introduction, you'll find yourself unsure of how good a person she is, especially since you can't prove that her words are true either. Even better, if there are people who are unbiased and don't actually know (though I'm arguing as though this isn't the case, it's absolutely within the realm of possibility for at least one person to be unaware of her reputation), they'll just see her better. It's in this sense that her words were abysmal, and lacking in maturity, subtlety and consideration; they show a lack of intelligence despite the fact that she's supposed to be vying for the ruling position. Even if she has a reputation, that does not change, since it continues being a dumb move.

You could argue that Anastasia is not smart enough not to consider this issue, but it's inconsistent with her actions in episode 16 that paint her as someone who knows how to deal with people. That actually just makes her words before even worse because they're inconsistent with what you're supposed to think of her: you're supposed to think she's a force to be reckoned, that she's smart and conniving. However, she was also the one who just spewed out why you shouldn't make her the ruler like it was nothing, despite the fact that there are no perceivable political advantages to this. If you do find considerable political advantages to her actions in episode, uh, 13? I will immensely commend your genius. No, seriously. It would prove my short-sightedness.

To further reinforce my point, I will even go as far as to imagine that one could argue that perhaps, reputations don't play a big part in the selections, seeing as everyone is that familiar with the candidates already to the point where their reputation are basically just facts: "their intentions are clear", according to you. If they were, there would be no need for a selection. There is a selection because we need to see who is the better ruler, which everyone should know according to their reputation. If they had nothing to hide, then the ruler would've already been clear. Everyone would've just picked Crusch already. I mean, Emilia's known as the witch, right? If everything is so clear already, she wouldn't have had the chance. If everyone's familiar to everyone to the point where it's allowed and perfectly fine for Anastasia to just blurt out her greed, there was no need for her to even be a considered candidate, even if the insignia makes it possible for her to be one.

Priscilla, at least, has an excuse (Felt kinda has it too): from what we've seen of her personality, it makes sense that she would've acted like she did at the time. But not as much for the others.

Rehls said:

Subaru's being greedy as in not wanting to accept himself as incapable. He wants to be the hero. He's prideful. And this sin makes him greedy, too.

You mean that Subaru is greedy for not accepting that he cannot save Emilia? For wishing for something he cannot attain, then? It did not seem as though Subaru wanted to be the hero, but then again, maybe I'm just not in tune with Subaru's personality anymore. Either way, he wanted Priscilla's help, which meant that the hero would consequentially be Priscilla anyway. It's a move of desperation, not greed. How would Subaru take the credit for her help just because he asked for it? By asking for Priscilla's help, he is already resigning from trying to be the hero: he's resigning from trying to do things by himself, which he had been doing so far, in a desperate attempt to make everything right again. Asking for help when you can't do something alone is not a greedy thing; I don't think I've ever heard that before in my entire life. As I said before, maybe there's just something beyond my comprehension along this, or maybe my ideals differ so greatly from the anime's that I can't see eye to eye with it.

Regardless, I can't say I find that justification entirely plausible.

Rehls said:

Eh, Emilia's too busy for Subaru, as a candidate. There was a scene where she had an important conversation, but he couldn't participate. He was supposed to be just a butler. She's not romantically interested in him. Only as a friend...

Part of that complaint was a joke, seeing as it's perfectly understandable for Emilia to be busy. However, for example, it holds no meaning to me to know that she's busy studying as the candidate when I'm never told what exactly she's studying; it's like it doesn't matter. It further adds salt to the wound when Subaru finally got that date with Emilia but it's skipped as if it were no big deal when it was one of the supposed biggest pay offs of the arc. Though she's supposed to be a driving force to Subaru and an important character, we just don't see enough of her at all and don't get to know much more about her. Even more salt to the wound was Subaru's argument with Emilia, which made them even more distant despite the fact that you'd expect the third arc to be more about Emilia since we're led to believe it's about the selections (just when I thought the show'd finally focus on her...)! I actually really like Emilia, so the remark's me jokingly expressing my sadness towards how little of a presence she has in the anime.

Rehls said:

Someone said that Beatrice uses a Magical Door spell, where she enters a different dimension. Someone else opening the door to the library wouldn't be in the same, so they wouldn't find her.

Indeed, they (and you) are perfectly right.

Revantu said:

I mentioned this in my last post here, but I thought the anime would be a better watch all in one sitting; at least, judging by what we've seen thus far. If you were watching it in one sitting, the last few episodes wouldn't feel particularly tedious, and Episode 16 would feel a bit of a welcome change of pace. Regardless, there are still more unanswered questions left and I look forward to seeing how they deal with all the currently displayed issues (whale, where did puck come from, what is the deal with Return by Death - why does Subaru have it and how does it connect to his world, what will happen to all the other contestants, will Subaru actually gain some sort of power - will he improve his magic, will Emilia and Subaru end up together, etc).

I actually agree, since I watched 10 episodes of Re:Zero in one sitting and thought it was awesome, only to then go back, watch the rest of the episodes, and noticing all these flaws. Maybe I was able to have the initial feeling of excitement because I watched it in one sitting, but then again, I feel as though it's better off that way because I got time to really think about what happened, which is more fair. In general, I spent a lot of my time watching those episodes forgiving the anime's not-as-good parts because I felt it had great potential and was trying to make the most out of its potential, but now I'm seeing things a little differently. Even then, I haven't given up hope on the show, so I'm still watching.

I'm not sure I felt bored watching the previous episodes, and episode 16 wasn't that much of a change of pace, in my opinion. Either way, I agree with you that there are a lot of unanswered questions that I'm looking forward to seeing answers to, since when I said the only thing I was looking forward to was knowing why exactly the cult was attacking the mansion, it was in the context of what was currently happening. As in, within what's currently happening, there is only this that can be answered, so I can only look forward to it. Of course, when it decides to focus on other things, my stance will change. Now it's focusing on the whale: I can wonder what's the deal with the whale, but that isn't something that particularly interests me since it isn't tied to the more important questions of the plot. I don't feel as though I will know what's the deal with the selections in the direction the anime is taking; I don't feel as though I will know what's the deal with the witch's cult as much as I'd like (episode 17 kiiinda makes me doubt that though); I don't feel as though I'll get to know anything I can consider relevant with this. And even if I can, I would've preferred one issue solved at a time, like, uh, first the selections (and perhaps Subaru's character development), then the cult and then the truth, or perhaps other things that precede it. That's just preference at this point, however.
Jul 26, 2016 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
Aines445 said:
Rehls said:

They're familiar with the people there. And they don't have what to hide. Their intentions are clear. We can presume that they've a known reputation in the kingdom. (Priscilla called the knight by his name. Crusch called Maicrotof 'old man' and such. Crusch was said to be a Duchess. She's well known, then. Should be the same for the others. Except Emilia and Felt. The others were strong individuals, but the other two weren't.)

Um, Emilia wasn't well-known. She was the same as Felt. Both are being supported by more capable individuals. The other candidates were, though. And I don't see problems with the candidates being honest with their intentions. It seems like the citizens are at their mercy, eh. They need a ruler soon. And they're confident enough. Even though they might be seem as controversial, like another user said.

Aines445 said:
Rehls said:

Subaru's being greedy as in not wanting to accept himself as incapable. He wants to be the hero. He's prideful. And this sin makes him greedy, too.

He'd have prevented it, even if indirectly. He just doesn't wants to accept people he care about dying, not being able to do anything about it. He'd think less of himself. They he might end up not finding himself worthy of Emilia... Think he's placing effort into becoming a better person for her sake, too. Oh and he's a reputation improve.
removed-userJul 26, 2016 8:19 PM
Jul 26, 2016 9:41 PM

Sep 2013
Rehls said:

Um, Emilia wasn't well-known. She was the same as Felt. Both are being supported by more capable individuals. The other candidates were, though. And I don't see problems with the candidates being honest with their intentions. It seems like the citizens are at their mercy, eh. They need a ruler soon. And they're confident enough. Even though they might be seem as controversial, like another user said.

She might not be famous, but among those that know her, she is looked down upon for being similar to the witch; that's a reputation. She is being supported by Roswaal, but everyone doesn't regard her well. It's been frequently said that Emilia doesn't even stand a chance in the selections. I think there's even been a scene where people were talking about it and Subaru raged at them, but I can't confirm the caliber of these people since I remember it faintly. Regardless, that's besides the point I was making.

The candidates are to be selected. Their spot as the rulers isn't guaranteed. This means that they cannot, in fact, do whatever they want (at least, they shouldn't), especially something that destroys the people's trust in them. Basically, the people aren't exactly at their mercy because they still need to be picked, and you'd think the best candidate is the one who'd be chosen. Uh, in better terms, since they are still in the selection process, and need to present themselves as the best rulers, they aren't in a position where they can do or say whatever they want (again, at least, they shouldn't) if they want to be picked. Anastasia, for example, doesn't have the certainty that she'll rule the nation because there are other candidates besides her, so she supposedly should be presenting herself as the better person to then be picked. This isn't shown as the case in the anime, and it consequentially doesn't make sense. Her selection depends on people's opinions of her: if she is clearly not a good person, why would anyone pick her? The people wouldn't be desperate enough to let that slide; they'd just pick someone else. Even if everyone was terrible, the lesser evil would be picked, and Anastasia is not this lesser evil, nor is Priscilla; they should have almost no chances.

Basically, there is not enough desperation among the people to justify the possibility of the use of that level of honesty. No candidate can actually guarantee that they'll have the position (Priscilla believes she does, so her actions are justified and make sense), so they can't actually carelessly do these sorts of things. It's why it's a problem. It's not intelligent and consistent with the scale of what's being handled (the selection of the country's new ruler; it's a big deal), which greatly jeopardizes the world of the anime and its realism (you can argue that it's not supposed to be realistic since it's a fantasy world, but the fact that humans and species with human intellect populate it so it's unrealistic in the context of its own world as well since people are still people and politics are still politics); it's lacking in tact and maturity. It also makes an inconsistency between the intelligence they're supposed to have and what's been shown previously.

Even if they're supposed to be controversial, it's not a well-executed controversy (just in the anime, apparently), and that's the whole issue: it's just not a well-executed element (or at least, scene) of the story. You may not have a problem with this, but, putting aside my doubt that you'd think that if you were a resident of the world of Re:Zero (which is why it's unrealistic to its world and not well-executed), it doesn't change the fact that it is one.

Rehls said:

He'd have prevented it, even if indirectly. He just doesn't wants to accept people he care about dying, not being able to do anything about it. He'd think less of himself. They he might end up not finding himself worthy of Emilia... Think he's placing effort into becoming a better person for her sake, too. Oh and he's a reputation improve.

Even if he'd have indirectly prevented it, the credit would still go to Priscilla as well; she'd be the main hero. I'm sure even Subaru would be aware of the fact that he would not have been the hero in that situation (but then again, seeing as his mind's not in the right place...), since he would've still been powerless anyway. He seems to already know he can't do anything about the situation by himself, which is precisely why he asks for help from Emilia's enemies and why he's desperate: I still see no greed in desperation. Why would it be greedy of him not to accept that everyone's gonna die and he can't do anything about it with his own power? You could argue that it's because he's longing for the supposedly impossible, but it is possible with other people's help, and there isn't greed in asking for people's help. Hmmm... :/

Now, Subaru does not in the slightest seem to be making an effort to become a better person for Emilia. He was doing that before, he absolutely was, but now he's just insane. It's precisely because he's just given up on that that I'm more iffy towards Subaru, because it's like those feelings are being overriden by his insanity. He may want to save her, but I'm pretty sure he's now thinking Emilia doesn't understand the stuff he goes through and blah blah blah, and isn't thinking of being a better person for Emilia at all. He's thinking of saving her, but now I'm not even sure if it's because he really cares or just to prove that everyone should just trust him already without asking questions. That's how much Subaru is becoming an unpleasant existence for me.

I must apologize, because I seriously cannot understand your last point and sentence. Subaru wants to improve Emilia's reputation? (Yes, but I wouldn't be sure now) Subaru improves Emilia's reputation? (No???) Subaru's reputation is or isn't improving??
Jul 26, 2016 10:14 PM
Jul 2018

Hope you're aware that candidates can be eliminated. They'll fight over the position. It's not like in our world... (although there are cases of assassination) where only the public decide.

They might have to only appear as strong, that they'll attract the strong (allies/supporters). Emilia's approach is the one that differs the most. She appeals to the discriminated against. And those concerned about this.

He's wanting to be what's not normally possible... That's what I'm thinking. Like in our world, we'd have wanted to prevent tragedies, if we had the power. In this fantasy world, he might be wanting to be an actual hero and such. He was planning on solving the issue by himself. He'd have liked to, if he could. But he's forcing himself to succeed, and not remain as just an average person. By 'better person' I mean a more capable person. Like Reinhard and Julius. He might feel below them.

His own reputation. After what happened in the castle, it's been damaged. Emilia's opinion of him, too.
removed-userJul 26, 2016 10:32 PM
Jul 28, 2016 5:34 PM
Apr 2016
Here is my episode 16 review!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cdx5GJs_Mg
Jul 29, 2016 11:42 PM

Jul 2012
There are so many questions that need to be answered D:

Looks like Subaru forgot about the White Whale, but I don't fucking blame him. I'm surprised he can remember anything all all right now lol.

And all this "negotiating" will probably help him in the next reset and maybe more resets until he can negotiate like a champ :p
Aug 6, 2016 12:46 PM

Aug 2010
I know Subaru can be pretty tactless (and very desperate) during negotiations but even now I'm scratching my head wondering what the 3 other girls want (from him) orz It seems that at this point there are some clashes over morality and values, and while I get Subaru's perspective, I don't really get the other 3 girls, they're being quite vague about it. I guess making us be on the "same boat" as Subaru is so that we would empathise with him? :/

I mean at this point, it's no wonder his mental and emotional stability is at question, given how people are treating him and what he had experienced (all those brutal murders)

After seeing this scene, one has to question his mental and emotional stability. Question is, how is he going to turn out after this?
blue-yAug 6, 2016 12:50 PM
Aug 8, 2016 6:20 PM

May 2010
I kinda like how girls in this series aren't just harem of pretty faces with no personalities, unreasonably devoted to protagonist, but more of manipulative, sly, smart bitches. Perfect features for bishoujo politicians, lol.
Aug 12, 2016 5:41 PM

Feb 2013
Typical episode... good end, rest "meh".

Normally the next step would be to start winning those negotiations (after several iterations). This anime hasn't been doing that so I doubt it will happen.

We forgot about the killer "fog" didn't we? (I did)
Aug 13, 2016 10:31 AM

Aug 2013
I have no words to describe Subaru anymore.
Priscilla is pissed.. she means business.
Aug 16, 2016 7:44 AM

Mar 2009
Finally catching up with Re:Zero.

This episode made me angry for Subaru, not at him. Subaru was tactless, rude and sometimes even irrational during his "negotiations" with the three girls, but the three of them acted completely selfish. Now, Subaru can be selfish himself(like everyone else in the world), but he honestly wants to save the innocent villagers and Emilia. Of course he's pissed and wants the the cultists dead. The events that went down in the previous episode would enrage anyone, to absolute madness. And how is he supposed to show proof? And why would he be lying? What does he have to gain? Subaru is a simpleton; those three girls think they're unbelievably wise, so why can't they understand this?

Crusch is the only one that didn't send me into a complete rage, since she was sensible at times - and has helped Subaru in the past - so I couldn't get too angry with her. Still, it worries me that she wouldn't want to help innocent villagers. They're in Emilia's domain, so it's not her responsibility, or whatever bullshit reason she came up with. Makes me think she'd be a bad ruler. Makes me think, when push comes to shove, she wouldn't even help her own people in her own domain, unless there was some benefit to her. Out of the three, I think she's the only one who can be negotiated with if Subaru puts his mind to it in the future. That being said, if she isn't willing to help innocent villagers, for whatever reason, regardless of whose domain they belong to, she wouldn't make a good ruler.

Priscilla is narcissistic and sadistic. She's got no right to even look down on Subaru when she acts so awful herself. It was almost like she just wanted to fuck with him for the hell of it. Don't know why I liked her so much at first. Could have been because of Yukarin's wonderful voice, or because she's kind of hot, but I was clearly an idiot. She's terrible. Subaru didn't even have the slightest chance with her.

Anastasia is deceptive and obviously uses people for her own means. She'd use anyone for her own political gain. These are the type of characters I hate the most and I honestly think she's the worst of the three. She's clearly very morally suspect. And obviously wouldn't give a damn about innocent villagers.

Point is, Subaru may be selfish, but he still wants to save innocent lives. These three are MUCH MORE selfish than he is, and are only willing to move if it is of some benefit to them. I think they'd be horrible rulers. Emilia or Felt would be better, since they want to change things. And more importantly, because they're the only ones with any empathy. But I guess that's not completely true in Crusch's case; there might be something there.

Really, though, this episode just wanted to pile on even more suffering for Subaru. It's starting to get repetitive. Let's move on, please.
MormegilAug 16, 2016 7:49 AM
Aug 20, 2016 11:09 AM

Jun 2009
I'd suck her toes for nothing in return. Just saying.

Subaru still retarded.
Aug 21, 2016 12:06 PM
Apr 2013
^ WHat if Subaru had pretended he had a fetish for feet or anything else she asked him to do, would that have made a difference?
Aug 27, 2016 8:58 PM
Apr 2012
man, every time I think Subaru might finally grow, might finally understand that he can't expect a new world, one he doesn't understand and can find basically no place in, to warp itself to his whims because reasons, might recognize that he's not the center of the universe, he pulls...well, this whole episode. Again. And he has SO MANY PEOPLE trying to teach him that lesson, in one form or another.

Some redemption and maturity with the merchants at the end (good job Sub, you gave them something for something in return!), but dear lord these last few episodes in particular he's been unrelentingly insufferable. Lotta ground he has to make up.

Still, those first 6-7 episodes got me hooked enough to keep rolling. Premise remains good.
Aug 28, 2016 12:02 AM
Apr 2016
I liked this episode. I have more respect for all three of the princess candidates in being ruler, in a way. Clearly the three made Subaru look even more stupid as ever (and he is again acting like a desperate and greedy ass. I don't blame him for being desperate, but he's still greedy and an ass. >_>), but still. lol
MareepYayAug 28, 2016 12:06 AM
Sep 5, 2016 12:34 AM

Aug 2009
I have been having a tough time dealing with Subaru's attitude NOT because I don't understand that he is portrayed as not mentally stable and thus irrational as his mental stability declines, but simply that he can use a reset button anytime he wants to. At least I thought he could.

In other words, maybe I missed it, (I have been watching the show in spurts), was there something said about NOT using the reset button to go back to a previous save point??

I thought he was just figuring this out on his own, and so far so good - no consequences to dying and resetting. Sure sure, REM mentions that he has a weird smell, and it seems to get stronger after every reset. So consequences are definitely implied. Cool.

But ultimately that is why I have been frustrated with Subaru and his attitude, cause something happens, he throws a fit and I'm like, oookk well that didn't work, time to find the nearest cliff and try again. Any clarification would great, thanks!

Sep 5, 2016 3:58 AM
Jun 2014
Noobstar21 said:
I have been having a tough time dealing with Subaru's attitude NOT because I don't understand that he is portrayed as not mentally stable and thus irrational as his mental stability declines, but simply that he can use a reset button anytime he wants to. At least I thought he could.

In other words, maybe I missed it, (I have been watching the show in spurts), was there something said about NOT using the reset button to go back to a previous save point??

I thought he was just figuring this out on his own, and so far so good - no consequences to dying and resetting. Sure sure, REM mentions that he has a weird smell, and it seems to get stronger after every reset. So consequences are definitely implied. Cool.

But ultimately that is why I have been frustrated with Subaru and his attitude, cause something happens, he throws a fit and I'm like, oookk well that didn't work, time to find the nearest cliff and try again. Any clarification would great, thanks!

It has been shown several times that it's incredibly painful to die (who've have guessed...). In my opinion it's absolutely understandable why he would want to avoid it at all costs if possible. Especially in the first few episodes Subaru repeated something like "I don't want to die" and "it hurts" over and over again shortly before a reset.
Sep 14, 2016 11:14 AM

Sep 2014
Subaru got screwed hard by every candidate damn, can't blame him though since he's mental state is not so good right now.
Priscilla looking good dayum, also great spot to hide your fan <3 I honestly thought he would lick her foot but nope, DENIED .-.

Seems like he finally learned something from Anastasia's encounter and got those guys to transport them though.
WHAT THE FUCK, A FRIGGIN' WHALE o.O
Emilia ED was really cute :3
nerfxSep 14, 2016 11:50 AM
Sep 14, 2016 4:57 PM
Sep 2016
Boring episode compared to other ones. But the monster thing at the ending tho. Oh shiet
Sep 15, 2016 3:52 AM

Jan 2015
Daijobee... that was way too cute. I listened to that scene many times, she has to be one of the cutest characters I know.

The new ending is nice, I doubt it'll be played that often if the anime will continue being as dark as the previous episode though.

I have to watch the next episode now, that scene with the eye at the end, that was done brilliantly.
Sep 20, 2016 2:56 PM

May 2012
Damn things sure are getting quite twisted and what an ending again! Really getting fucked, but I like it! Let's see what's next.
Sep 25, 2016 11:43 AM

Aug 2015
I just found out that the Anastasie Hoshin voice is of the same woman as the Rin Tohsake from Fate!

And another thing I noticed... Subaru's mobile has extremely durable battery xD

This girl is psycho...
Sep 26, 2016 11:23 AM

Jan 2014
getting rejected by three candidate as they see they gain nothing from helping, as far as being humiliated by them. Subaru should know what's coming in this.

If I was Subaru, maybe I would tell those three of "Returns by Death" power in the end of conversation, making them meet their death. Just for fun.
Sep 28, 2016 9:31 AM
May 2012

Well, I am not sure wether I am right with this however it might be that the answer is as stupid sounding as "Because it's fantasy".

I think there is something ood about the hole selection thing anyhow. Don't you think it is weird that everybody waited a long time for the final candidate, Felt, to arrive? If something like the hole royal family is beeing killed would happen in the real world I would generally assume that someone powerfull would ascent the throne and would be able to figure out some legitimation for it while doing so or maybe if this doesn't work that easyly find some marionnette king or something. It is unlikely that they would wait for a bunch of selfish young girls to arrive. Also isn't it a bit strange that all the candidates are young unmarried girls? These oddities and the rest of the hole "selection" made me belive that there need to be some important aspect that the successor is determined in this weird fashon.
I assume that there needs to be some unquestionable authory that enforces a set of very specific rules according to witch the next ruler has to be selected. This doesn't needs to be a person. It could also be some sort of anicent magic treaty (We have allready seen unbreakable treaties in the show) or some special power only the designated rule wilds, but witch is vital for the success of the country. So most likely even the wise men don't really have a saying in who will become the next ruler, instead there are probably only capable of administering the selection process according to a specific rule.
This would explain why most of the candidates (including Felt) think that they could basically do what they want and also act unnaturallly nice towards each other.
Sep 29, 2016 1:15 PM

Aug 2014
Where can I get me a phone with that kind of battery life?

I didn't mind Subaru's behavior during his talk with Crusch, I mean it was to be expected after what happened in the previous episode but with the other two candidates? That was just plain pathetic.
Oct 8, 2016 4:03 PM
Sep 2009
I can understand Subaru's desperation but he really has to plan it better. His crazy behaviour won't gain anyone's trust.

Out of 3 candidates, I actually liked Anastasia the most. She is smart and I respect smart people. Yes she manipulates people but she does it so well. Despite that she does not go back on her word. She gave Subaru exactly what he wanted and even gave him an advice on how to negotiate when she could have easily just left without saying or doing anything, Subaru would be helpless.
Oct 11, 2016 12:06 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Respect for Subaru!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 18, 2016 10:01 PM

Nov 2014
MetaphyskalHuntR said:
I made a pretty long, detailed analysis of his psychological health a few weeks back. Ever since, it has been apparent: some people are having a very hard time understanding this shows themes - namely, psychological deterioration is correlated to irrational behavior. I just skip over people complaining that he is acting dumb - since the show has put this TEENAGER through some brutal stuff. He just can't cope. It is obvious. And it seems like at this point, you either see it or you are probably not yet at a point to be able to analyze the deeper meanings in various literature/stories
well, over 50% of anime watchers are under the age of 18, so what can u expect?
Oct 22, 2016 6:17 PM

Mar 2012
Priscilla's such a stuck up bitch playing with him like that. Obviously he was gonna agree if he was in such a desperate situation to even ask her for help.
Nov 2, 2016 10:05 PM

Mar 2015
It's probably one of the worst feelings in the world, desperately needing others' help but not getting any. Poor Subaru. And now, the White Whale!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 5, 2016 9:44 PM

Nov 2016
Episode 16:
Great episode, no royal candidate helped him, well it was expected, but thank to that he got experience, and next time (if any) he can negotiate with them in better form.
Is really something the change in Rem attitude towards Subaru, from Killing him twice to fall in love for him, also he win her trust.
The mystery disappearance was weird.
I think what Subaru does in Priscila test, is what a man should do, because he wanted desperately save the town and the castle from the massacre, and he know that he cant do by himself, and neither knows that Priscila was testing him, if that were not a test Subaru had lost the chance to save the people he cared about, and that will be a total downfall for him, he does what a man should do in his position, anyway if he redo time he will not be tricked again.

4/5
ArakitoNov 5, 2016 9:52 PM
Jan 11, 2017 5:10 PM

Mar 2010
Well I didn't have much hopes for him anyways, so him fucking up so many times is normal lol.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 14, 2017 10:32 AM

Apr 2013
OMG he's still doing it. Getting angry and rude to someone he just asked for... help, in a very dangerous matter where probably some of her own followers would die if that were to happen.
At least he begged, but seriously....
Woops, not, he inclined his head but he's still going strong with the "I'm mad bro lookatmeImsocoolsunofabitch" attitude. Wow. He's so insufferable.
And poor Rem is still having to deal with his stupidity by apologizing to everyone.

Ahahah "lick". Well yep I thought as much. Is he trying to negotiate with peoples without taking their personality into account? yep, he is. And then he's mad and think they should feel indebted to him, wow.

Omg who is that chibi cat girl, she's super cute.
okay let's go for another "completely unbelievable random encounter" (seriously that guy randomly encountered so far 4 of the 5 priestesses since the start, as well as one of the knight for them).
Ahahah he's still ignoring the opposite side completely when negotiating.
Wow the cute chibi one is second in command? Hamburger. Seriously?
Ahahah he said the info himself and then he's mad at the other one for making him talk without pressuring him. Wow, she's nice enough to give him such advice despite it.
Ahahah he wasn't even aware enough of his surrounding to notice everyone was wearing the same clothes? Oh boy.

That plan with the carriages is... not going to work if you cannot convince peoples that it's really going to happen, isn't it.
Ah, oh well, it's not even going to go until there. That's some big lizard here. Is that what they mentioned earlier as dangerous in the fog? I guess so.
Jan 17, 2017 6:55 AM

Apr 2013
this game is very harsh!!!

even when he asks for help he gets humiliation heaped on him. though now that he has this experiences on him he can try to win them over again. Or more realistically kiss and make up with Julius and bring the full force of the Knights on Beetlejuice.
Feb 3, 2017 11:51 PM

Jul 2013
Subaru is fucking annoying. But I know where he's coming from. True, he's greedy, true he's spouting ridiculous things and can't prove it making him sound like he's going insane but he's gone through a lot. He's seen a whole village got massacred, someone he cared so much about got tortured to death, Rem's body was wringed like a cloth and he's died numerous times. Of course he's getting desperate and those bitches treated him like shit.

The hell was that giant thing!?
Feb 7, 2017 6:53 AM
Aug 2014
Ikkakun said:
Aines445 said:
Somehow, Subaru is a greedy pig for giving up his dignity for help? If it was to save lives, especially of people I find dear, I'd lick anyone's foot any day. There is no greed in morality.

Kitsunahren said:
man, every time I think Subaru might finally grow, might finally understand that he can't expect a new world, one he doesn't understand and can find basically no place in, to warp itself to his whims because reasons, might recognize that he's not the center of the universe, he pulls...well, this whole episode. Again. And he has SO MANY PEOPLE trying to teach him that lesson, in one form or another.

Some redemption and maturity with the merchants at the end (good job Sub, you gave them something for something in return!), but dear lord these last few episodes in particular he's been unrelentingly insufferable. Lotta ground he has to make up.

Still, those first 6-7 episodes got me hooked enough to keep rolling. Premise remains good.

Good thing he just happened to run into a trade caravan and have plenty of cash on hand. People have been explicitly pointing out his flawed behaviour for the last couple of episode now, but he's not taking any of it in. A few episodes ago he decided to rely on his re-birth skill and not improve himself, so I'm not very optimistic he'll actually change, but just continue brute forcing his way through.
Mar 5, 2017 1:50 PM

Jan 2011
It would be a huge gamble, and it's hard to pull off in Subaru's current state of mind, but given that he has all the time in the world (as long as he dies often enough, but so far thats hardly the issue), he should find out more about every potential ally first before seeking them out. He could watch Crusch and the others for several days (until he dies) each time and go to them armed with this information. And maybe Reinhard hasn't yet left the city right after his respawn, we don't know when exactly he leaves/left.

The gamble is staying sane when doing "nothing" to help Emilia and the other, and of course his respawn might change..

I wonder if he might be able to get help in unexpected places. The Witch's Cult has quite a lot of members apparently, so quite a lot of bowels. Someone might be interested in that, if you can convince her. Unlike Crusch and the others, she does not have anything to gain by Emilias demise as far as we know. There must be others, too, who can be bought with either money or by offering them a good fight etc.

One option would also to seek out the knights, not the masters. Like, Aldeberan is probably the friendliest person besides the Mathers household, maybe even more so then Reinhard. If he can convince the knights, they'll can lend him a hand with convincing the masters, or the regular knights.
Pages (24) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

511 by commonhoodlum46 »»
Jun 18, 11:56 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

255 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Jun 18, 2:34 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1726 by Ghxsty4300 »»
Jun 18, 12:34 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2016

818 by bubba460z »»
Jun 13, 6:05 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

528 by MrList »»
Jun 13, 4:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.