Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 25, 2016 2:42 PM

Oct 2014
So I just finished watching a show (on netflix) which started off as a brother and sister with a weird ntr complex thing happening, I'm really surprised I finished it. Anyways, The brother was basically secretly a powerful magical genius who everyone doubted. He's a cool guy though, laid back personality, mature, all the girls wanted him. As the show progressed, he-already the strongest person on the show, just continued to get stronger.

I mean throughout the course of the show I think he got hit once. Never broke a sweat, killing people with a wave of the hand, and still they made him stronger somehow. Not as if he needed more power his enemies weren't any tougher really. But because of his friendly personality he wasn't annoying at all to me. He was pretty much perfect all the way around and I liked it. I think that was my first time seeing a show like that.

Anyone else see a show like that?
How do you feel about the idea of main characters being perfect?
Who are some characters you would consider 360 perfect?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 25, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
That is The Irregular At Magic High School, and there are some series like that. The older brother was actually some sort of former military operative anyway who was very powerful , in this case with magic, but was maybe kinda undercover at this school, yet there were some anomolies with his magic skills so he wasn't too perfect.
Jun 25, 2016 2:49 PM

Apr 2015
Perfect characters? Well I don't mind with them as long as it's reasonable on why they become like that and the story is good but seriously.
Characters tto be liked the most by me if I wanted to see it animated? Me obviously.
Jun 25, 2016 3:05 PM

Jul 2013
Onii-sama didn't became stronger later in the series. He was just that OP, because he is our Lord and savior.

He was also one of the few saving graces of Mahouka, so...
Jun 25, 2016 3:06 PM

Aug 2015
I knew which show you're talking about just from the first 2 lines you mentioned. :3
Long live the Onii-Sama swag.

Onii-Sama is NOT perfect. He is the epitome of OP boring characters. A true perfect MC would not be half as boring. ( take Kiroto kun for example )

And Miyuki -> Here comes the amazing Imouto. A perfect Imouto for every prefect Onii-Sama. She's the prime example how annoying exactly an anime girl can be.
The things I'd do to her...

@Illyricus, Still liking Onii-Sama...., based Illy is based....
Z-DanteJun 25, 2016 3:21 PM
Jun 25, 2016 3:09 PM

Oct 2014
One Punch Man was interesting because the MC didn't like being a perfect character. He recognized that perfection itself can be a flaw. In other cases it's just annoying.
Jun 25, 2016 3:13 PM

Aug 2014
When done for comedy relief (as in Sakamoto desu ga) it's actually really hilarious and adds to the overall silly ton of the show. But in a show like Mahouka, that tries to be serious, it can be annoying and boring to see the MC being to OP to the point he doesn't see have any conflicts. It relaly depends on the show and it's purpose.
Jun 25, 2016 3:35 PM

Apr 2016
Show name is Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei.
It was shit and I dropped it like 7 episodes in.
currently in a state of denial
Jun 25, 2016 4:00 PM
May 2015
Perfection is boring, give the character some flaw that brings him down to earth and makes him more appealing.

That's why anime has idiot heroes (Goku, Luffy), anti-heroes (Vegeta, Harlock), cowards (Sailor Moon), perverts (Master Roshi) and of course tsunderes.
Jun 25, 2016 4:07 PM

Jan 2011
extremelly boring when the main character doesnt have an enemy that is an actual threat, imo endless fodder killing isnt interesting
Jun 25, 2016 4:14 PM

Aug 2015
Perfect characters only really work if it's a comedy/satire or the antagonist is equal in perfection. Otherwise, you have a boring Superman-style anime that starts getting predictable and uninteresting. This is why Sakamoto desu ga? and One Punch Man work.
“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”Lao Tzu

Jun 25, 2016 4:18 PM

Jun 2016
From the first 2-3 sentence of your(@Yousuck00) post, I already know that the show you're talking about is Mahouka Koukouno Rettousei (aka The Irregular at Magic High School. The show is pretty boring with all of the magic explanation nonsense and uninteresting characters. The show is actually terrible (Yeah, I hate it althrough I still watching it) and I recommend you to find better shows to watch.
Jun 25, 2016 4:25 PM

Dec 2014
An OP character that never lose can be fun, if the story is well written and he/she has an interesting personality.. usually is better if he/she is badass, and maybe a little ruthless... I mean when you have a ultra-powerfull character that is also a bit cruel and sadist you won't be so interested in how much does the character develop and grow up as the time pass.. instead you would be interested in how he will crush his enemies and who are the fools who dare to stay agaist him/her. At least this is how it happens in my case.

The only OP MC I can think about right now, that doesn't have this characteristics, is Cadis Etrama di Raizel from Noblesse (not an anime trough). He is literally the epitome of the guy who allways save the situation with no sweat, but it doesn't get boring even trough you know what comes once he shows on the battlefield... actually ATENTION SPOILER later when he starts to have some difficulties with enemies, it makes you kind of worried when he doesn't finish that fast or get hurt. END OF SPOILER. Now that I think about, this series has also a baddass OP sadist as one of the main characters too.
Jun 25, 2016 4:33 PM

Oct 2013
Takano Masamune (Sekaiichi Hatsukoi)

Mizuki Toya (Ayashi no Ceres)
Jun 25, 2016 4:47 PM

May 2012
Great Teacher Onizuka

GREAT2070. 6/23/2016 - 7:46 PM
Jun 25, 2016 4:50 PM

Jul 2015
they work only in comedy
they make a serious show so damn boring (Mahouka hellsing Overlord ...)
Jun 25, 2016 4:55 PM

Apr 2013
Iroha is literally the embodiment of 2D perfection.

A true goddess that all must serve towards 2D ascension from this 3D cesspool.
Jun 25, 2016 5:02 PM

Oct 2015
So many ppl trashing mahouka while for me its one of the best anime that i have seen and i wish we had more of OP MC cuz we get plenty of weak MCs that cant do a darn thing.
But anyway perfect characters are a rare thing or i simply got hard time remembering right cuz they often given the MCs atleast some weakness so that he aint perfect.
Jun 25, 2016 6:35 PM

Mar 2016
PeppermintHearts said:
That is The Irregular At Magic High School, and there are some series like that. The older brother was actually some sort of former military operative anyway who was very powerful , in this case with magic, but was maybe kinda undercover at this school, yet there were some anomolies with his magic skills so he wasn't too perfect.

That show bothers me so much. Main dude is talented but society treats him like crap. It was really confusing.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 25, 2016 6:47 PM

May 2015
Snappynator said:
When done for comedy relief (as in Sakamoto desu ga) it's actually really hilarious and adds to the overall silly ton of the show. But in a show like Mahouka, that tries to be serious, it can be annoying and boring to see the MC being to OP to the point he doesn't see have any conflicts. It relaly depends on the show and it's purpose.
zombie_pegasus said:
One Punch Man was interesting because the MC didn't like being a perfect character. He recognized that perfection itself can be a flaw. In other cases it's just annoying.

It depends on whether suspenseful action is the purpose. OPM literally builds off the fact it's character is overpowered, you know he's never losing, that's just not the point, or rather, that IS the point. But there's other elements to the story.

But OPM shouldn't be judged the same way as something like Naruto. The point of stuff like that is more than suspense, and if it's about suspense, you should ignore that specific element.

It's pure comedy, if you want drama, watch drama(or dramedy). I understand not liking OPM, but complaining about that element is basically like someone complaining about Naruto because the characters hurt each other. If it's not funny, it's not funny, if the joke gets repetitive then the joke gets repetitive, but don't judge parody like it's drama. "It doesn't work as joke" /=/ "the character is overpowered".

edit: Too pharse it better, people too often criticize the fact that it is a joke than the joke itself.

also it looks really good. madhouse thoooo
ashfrliebertJun 25, 2016 6:58 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 25, 2016 7:35 PM

Jun 2013
I hate perfect characters........
CurrerHimeJun 26, 2016 12:26 PM
Jun 25, 2016 11:36 PM

Oct 2014
PeppermintHearts said:

That's exactly what it was! LOL. He was a perfect counter to all other magical attacks/basically immortal and could heal anyone around him. Who cares if he can't shoot ice!

kamisama751 said:
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Shows like that are garbage.

I like the idea of a character being at least not a weak minded sack of crap. That irritates me more than anything.
Jun 25, 2016 11:40 PM

Oct 2014
ashfrliebert said:
Snappynator said:
zombie_pegasus said:

It depends on whether suspenseful action is the purpose. OPM literally builds off the fact it's character is overpowered, you know he's never losing, that's just not the point, or rather, that IS the point. But there's other elements to the story.

But OPM shouldn't be judged the same way as something like Naruto. The point of stuff like that is more than suspense, and if it's about suspense, you should ignore that specific element.

It's pure comedy, if you want drama, watch drama(or dramedy). I understand not liking OPM, but complaining about that element is basically like someone complaining about Naruto because the characters hurt each other. If it's not funny, it's not funny, if the joke gets repetitive then the joke gets repetitive, but don't judge parody like it's drama. "It doesn't work as joke" /=/ "the character is overpowered".

edit: Too pharse it better, people too often criticize the fact that it is a joke than the joke itself.

also it looks really good. madhouse thoooo

One punch man wasn't perfect though. He was funny looking and handled everything comically. He was the strongest but that's really all he had going for him.

Sakamoto though is a perfect example. He is too cool for life!
Jun 25, 2016 11:43 PM

May 2015
I hate perfect characters unless their perfection is meaningful - unless it affects their personality/view of the world. If the person is simply good at everything but acts casual and ordinary, it's hard to take it seriously.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 25, 2016 11:48 PM

Oct 2014
YellowCorvette said:
From the first 2-3 sentence of your(@Yousuck00) post, I already know that the show you're talking about is Mahouka Koukouno Rettousei (aka The Irregular at Magic High School. The show is pretty boring with all of the magic explanation nonsense and uninteresting characters. The show is actually terrible (Yeah, I hate it althrough I still watching it) and I recommend you to find better shows to watch.

I liked the show. I mean I just moved so netflix is all I have available to watch stuff on right now but I surprisingly enjoyed the show. I became interested in it the more it went on because the MC and his sister have whatever family background going on that I wanted to find out. That made the main character interesting to me even though he (presently) seems perfect.

OtakuDaikun said:
That show bothers me so much. Main dude is talented but society treats him like crap. It was really confusing.

Exactly! I'm still curious as to why. His mother, his aunt.. like wtf?
Jun 25, 2016 11:49 PM

Aug 2015
you plebs no nothing about our lord JESUS ONII-SAMA
Jun 26, 2016 12:38 AM

Jun 2008
Momo is the anime GOAT for a reason folks...
Jun 26, 2016 12:46 AM

Jan 2015
YouSuck00 said:
So I just finished watching a show (on netflix) which started off as a brother and sister with a weird ntr complex thing happening, I'm really surprised I finished it. Anyways, The brother was basically secretly a powerful magical genius who everyone doubted. He's a cool guy though, laid back personality, mature, all the girls wanted him. As the show progressed, he-already the strongest person on the show, just continued to get stronger.

I mean throughout the course of the show I think he got hit once. Never broke a sweat, killing people with a wave of the hand, and still they made him stronger somehow. Not as if he needed more power his enemies weren't any tougher really. But because of his friendly personality he wasn't annoying at all to me. He was pretty much perfect all the way around and I liked it. I think that was my first time seeing a show like that.

The Main Character of that anime is probably one of the most OP characters ever :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Jun 26, 2016 1:26 AM
May 2015
LogicalInjustice said:
Perfect characters only really work if it's a comedy/satire or the antagonist is equal in perfection. Otherwise, you have a boring Superman-style anime that starts getting predictable and uninteresting.

ashfrliebert said:

It's pure comedy, if you want drama, watch drama(or dramedy). I understand not liking OPM, but complaining about that element is basically like someone complaining about Naruto because the characters hurt each other. If it's not funny, it's not funny, if the joke gets repetitive then the joke gets repetitive, but don't judge parody like it's drama. People too often criticize the fact that it is a joke than the joke itself.

This is true, the comedy is putting a perfect character in an an insane situation and seeing how he deals with it.

But that kind of comedy is rare to handle, especially when the character's perfection means he should be taken seriously... but if the character is taken seriously then the story gets boring.

Perfect characters are a catch-22, aren't they?
Jun 26, 2016 1:27 AM

Jun 2016
Ultimatedeath said:
YouSuck00 said:

The Main Character of that anime is probably one of the most OP characters ever :3

@Ultimatedeath, the "main character" you mentioned are indeed one of the most OP character ever beside Galactus and Superman, but with none of the things that makes Galactus and Superman memorable.
Jun 26, 2016 1:29 AM

Aug 2015
It's not if he's perfect she should be taken seriously, but so he can do whatever the hell he wants and blow us away via Animation and Dialog. xD Look at OPM, Sakamoto, etc. The fun is watching what they do and how they react, but we all know they are beyond OP. But when you make a MC OP and have them fight, we know they are always going to win and it becomes a waste of time if it isn't even possible for X Character to lose.

Jun 26, 2016 1:44 AM
Jul 2018
lacus clyne (gundam seeeeeeeeeed)
Jun 26, 2016 2:29 AM

Jul 2013
@Z-Dante Onii-sama is my God, so he deserves being respected as the Lord and savior of this world.
Jun 26, 2016 2:52 AM

May 2015
Totally depends on how it's done. I like it when the character eventually becomes perfect through hard work or he/she's perfect but the show is a comedy.
Jun 26, 2016 3:29 AM

May 2009
Mary Sues and Gary Stus. Ugh.

If it's a parody it's tolerable but if it isn't, then.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jun 26, 2016 7:43 AM

Aug 2011
I hate perfect characters. If a character is perfect, then their character traits better be executed perfectly by the writers. Perfect characters are usually boring unless writers do well with it.

Irregular at Magic High School is the perfect example of a boring "perfect" MC
Jun 26, 2016 8:15 AM
Jan 2016
I love Onii-sama, he's indeed perfect.

But the thing that I liked about him the most was that he was the guy who gave the explanations for shit, and not the guy that had to have everything explained to him.
That's probably the thing that irks me the most about most MCs, they're almost always clueless about pretty much everything around them. Sometimes it's fine, when they're suddenly plunged into a situation they couldn't possibly predict or have any knowledge of, but sometimes it's like that with MCs that should know how their own damn world works.

OP MCs are quite often knowledgeable and well-informed, and that's a trait that I just love.
Jun 26, 2016 8:20 AM

Mar 2016
There May exist perfect characters, but there is no perfect MC

Also, the only perfect character is Nagito Komaeda

Jun 26, 2016 8:38 AM

Mar 2016
i dont know but for me perfect character is sebastian from black butler or the most perfect main character ich is based on perfecliness sakamoto for me hes not perfect
Jun 26, 2016 8:39 AM

Mar 2016
DoctorSexy said:
YouSuck00 said:

first characters that come to mind
no game no life-sora and shiro

oh yes shiro what about other shiro?
Jun 26, 2016 10:17 AM

May 2015
Haneken2086 said:

This is true, the comedy is putting a perfect character in an an insane situation and seeing how he deals with it.

But that kind of comedy is rare to handle, especially when the character's perfection means he should be taken seriously... but if the character is taken seriously then the story gets boring.

His perfection isn't suppose to be taken seriously though, that's the point lol. Just because a character is strong doesn't mean he's suppose to be taken seriously. Why would that be?
Jun 28, 2016 2:25 PM
May 2015
ashfrliebert said:
His perfection isn't suppose to be taken seriously though, that's the point lol. Just because a character is strong doesn't mean he's suppose to be taken seriously.

Heroes are to be taken seriously in general aren't they?
Jun 28, 2016 2:30 PM

May 2015
Haneken2086 said:
ashfrliebert said:
His perfection isn't suppose to be taken seriously though, that's the point lol. Just because a character is strong doesn't mean he's suppose to be taken seriously.

Heroes are to be taken seriously in general aren't they?

No, not necessarily, and it wouldn't be the first. Tick, Earthworm Jim and Freakazoid the most obvious examples. Anything can be comedy.
Jun 28, 2016 2:35 PM
May 2015
ashfrliebert said:

No, not necessarily, and it wouldn't be the first. Tick, Earthworm Jim and Freakazoid the most obvious examples. Anything can be comedy.

In anime parody heroes are rarer, I guess.
Jun 28, 2016 2:36 PM

Jun 2016
i think Alphonse Elric from Full Metal Alchemist is perfect because he knows alchemist, he is so sensitive and helpfull, he is fucking handsome too
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2016 5:38 AM

Apr 2010
Even if they're strong, it doesn't make them perfect. Their personality can still suck So they can be liked or not, depends on the character.

Jun 29, 2016 6:12 AM
Sep 2015
I hate perfect/OP characters like Kirito from Shit Art Online (but saitama from opm was fine). Never seen Mahouka altough it's on my PTW list...
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Jun 29, 2016 6:25 AM

Nov 2009
LogicalInjustice said:
It's not if he's perfect she should be taken seriously, but so he can do whatever the hell he wants and blow us away via Animation and Dialog. xD Look at OPM, Sakamoto, etc. The fun is watching what they do and how they react, but we all know they are beyond OP. But when you make a MC OP and have them fight, we know they are always going to win and it becomes a waste of time if it isn't even possible for X Character to lose.

You must be very young. Of course the main characters are going to win in all but the most bleak and grimdark anime! Main characters always win. Relax and look forward to the way they are going to win.
Even if the MC isn't very powerful, and often loses his battles at first, he still wins, because the author makes a way for him to win.

With powerful but inhuman characters like Tatsuya, Alucard and Overlord, the question is not "will they win", but what "will happen to other people around them?" or "will humanity lose?". Tatsuya is really good at providing moments of kindness and moments of fury, making for a pretty interesting dynamic.

Askorti said:
I love Onii-sama, he's indeed perfect.

But the thing that I liked about him the most was that he was the guy who gave the explanations for shit, and not the guy that had to have everything explained to him.
That's probably the thing that irks me the most about most MCs, they're almost always clueless about pretty much everything around them. Sometimes it's fine, when they're suddenly plunged into a situation they couldn't possibly predict or have any knowledge of, but sometimes it's like that with MCs that should know how their own damn world works.

OP MCs are quite often knowledgeable and well-informed, and that's a trait that I just love.

The authors often use a dumb MC to explain things to the viewer.
I agree that with self-insert/wish-fulfillment characters, having them explain everything works better. But anime viewers seem to always have trouble telling apart the point-of-view character and the main character. Like Sherlock Holmes (main character) and Dr. Watson (point-of-view character who needs to be explained to).

Snappynator said:

It's easy to see that Tatsuya is going to win when it comes to fighting. But life is not all about fighting, at least not for Tatsuya. It's the conflicts that can't be resolved with pure violence that draw the most attention in Mahouka.
Jun 29, 2016 7:06 AM

Nov 2009
YouSuck00 said:

Unlike some of the other people on this forums, I tend to like and watch anime on the "idealistic" and "nice" end of spectrum.
I like it when the characters are being perfect. Such a nice change from all those badly flawed people.
Jun 29, 2016 11:23 AM

Aug 2015
flannan said:
LogicalInjustice said:

You must be very young. Of course the main characters are going to win in all but the most bleak and grimdark anime! Main characters always win. Relax and look forward to the way they are going to win.

You must be very immature. This is in regards to both anime and other mediums. Not everyone prefers to watch a power MC, as there is no suspense in their fights or actions; however, things change when there are actual stakes OP in the sense of being perfect always needs an external stimulus for the fight or plot to make sense. Others may even call this lazy writing, because it lacks the portrayal of complex elements to add a more enriching experience to the audience. Some people may prefer not watch series in action anime where power makes a character unable to lose a fight. To them, it is too predictable and generic. It is also not as suspenseful as the MC being imperfect and doing the same thing, which shows more quality character development.

With powerful but inhuman characters like Tatsuya, Alucard and Overlord, the question is not "will they win", but what "will happen to other people around them?" or "will humanity lose?". Tatsuya is really good at providing moments of kindness and moments of fury, making for a pretty interesting dynamic.

You have no idea how many people view this as cliche. By design, it ends up pissing people off or having to redirect something else to look forward to.

Even if the MC isn't very powerful, and often loses his battles at first, he still wins, because the author makes a way for him to win.

And we can't be critical of that? No one is defending a character who is weak yet somehow "always wins". Plot armor is bad design and fans call it out, including me. However, this works in psychological and horror series:

Helsing
Blood-C
No Game, No life

You are in the minority to believe that people would prefer a character like Tatsuya from Mahouka Koukou! compared to one that actually invests writing into the anime gradually or with complexity.
LogicalInjusticeJun 29, 2016 11:49 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime carried by Animation

ST63LTH - Yesterday

42 by nishant0 »»
3 seconds ago

» if gundam is so good why all the low scores

Kimo45 - Yesterday

32 by AwokenStroken »»
44 seconds ago

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Gashadokur0 - Jun 23

172 by ogashiro »»
5 minutes ago

» Has Kadokawa ever made an Anime or Manga made for children?

Tsubaki5386 - 2 hours ago

4 by Tirinchas »»
26 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

111 by lucio54 »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.