Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 26, 2016 8:13 AM

Apr 2016
i wish to think that i am good at english
Apr 26, 2016 9:04 AM

Aug 2012
I find my self mediocre in English to be honest, I'm not really into grammar, just the basics.
Apr 26, 2016 9:06 AM

Oct 2015
i dont in2 englisse ver gud :(

I'm usually fine with spelling and grammar.
Apr 26, 2016 9:07 AM

Mar 2014
Considering that I didn't speak a lick of English until three years ago?

I'd say I'm pretty damn good
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 26, 2016 9:12 AM

Feb 2014
Yes, my english is excellent, thanks for asking.
Apr 26, 2016 9:38 AM

Jan 2016
My English is bad, but I'm here also to learn it. I can understand approximately what you are talking, but answer is not easy. When I try to write in English it's an agony XD
Apr 26, 2016 1:41 PM

Jan 2009
I presume that my English is easy enough to understand, even if I am not perfect.
I may notice and correct Mistakes after the Fact, but I am not too uptight about it.

traed said:
I am still trying to figure how to use a semicolon.
Just imagine something between a short Break (= Comma) and a long Break (= Full Stop); I implement them just by Instinct when I do not want to end a Sentence, but also need a longer break than just a Comma.
Apr 26, 2016 2:36 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
BeBackinaSec said:

Double negatives are the worst. When answering do you affirm or deny? Ah, the never ending dilemma.

Do what I do, and say "excuse me, but could you ask that question in a non-retarded way? Thank you".

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 26, 2016 2:55 PM
Jul 2018
tbh i'd say i'm pretty good at english
like i'm the topper in my class, most of the people in my class don't even know proper english anyways so there isn't much competition
and i learned english from anime.. kinda.. ;x i know that's stupid but oh well, that's the truth

p.s: that mistake in the title. pretty sure it was intentional.. kinda funny how many people didn't notice it yet, i noticed it right after i looked at the title.
Apr 26, 2016 3:09 PM

Jul 2015
i watch game of thrones in english and i understand everything
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Apr 26, 2016 3:09 PM

Mar 2015
I ain't not no not good at them english.
Apr 26, 2016 3:20 PM

Jul 2015
I would say my English is pretty legit but sometimes autocorrect is a bitch
Apr 26, 2016 3:42 PM

Oct 2015
I'm very good I write stories all the time but when i'm just typing stuff on forums I dont bother with proper grammer
Apr 26, 2016 3:42 PM
Jul 2015
I hit buttons on the keyboard and things are written. That's how english works, right?

Apr 26, 2016 3:49 PM

Apr 2015
Yes. Very. It is my mother language. >_>

But I do screw up everyone now and then. ^_^
Apr 26, 2016 4:24 PM

Jun 2013
My english accent is really heavy. (‘^’*)

Nevertheless, my grammar is good and I love learning new words so I have a wide vocabulary.
Apr 26, 2016 4:53 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
I presume that my English is easy enough to understand, even if I am not perfect.
I may notice and correct Mistakes after the Fact, but I am not too uptight about it.

traed said:
Just imagine something between a short Break (= Comma) and a long Break (= Full Stop); I implement them just by Instinct when I do not want to end a Sentence, but also need a longer break than just a Comma.

I can't figure out the break times usually so that is why.
Apr 26, 2016 4:57 PM

Apr 2015
I'm bad in English or people are just being racist.
#CHEXIT
Apr 26, 2016 9:32 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
I can't figure out the break times usually so that is why.
Just do it by Instinct whenever you feel like needing one; it's just a stylistic Preference - nothing more and nothing less.
Apr 26, 2016 9:45 PM

Jan 2016
Hmm considering English isn't my native language and how the fact that my school was bilingual I think it's decent. I'm much better at writing that speaking though.
Apr 26, 2016 10:07 PM
Oct 2014
I'm an amateur author with more than a million words to my name. I'm also a self-proclaimed perfectionist, and sometimes I will go back and edit a post I've made online simply because I used the wrong word. I'm bilingual, so I have the experience of seeing how English grammar compares to at least one other language. And I used to win spelling contests all the time back when I was in school. I even know the difference between a homonym and a homophone.

I think it's safe to say I'm above average. At least in writing.
Apr 26, 2016 10:40 PM
Mar 2008
Well, considering english is my third language, personally i think its "ok".
Apr 26, 2016 11:09 PM

Nov 2011
I work with foreigners in my college's ESL department almost daily, so hopefully decent enough for their sake!
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 26, 2016 11:11 PM
Apr 2013
Shit. Although, still better compared to me a couple years ago.
Apr 26, 2016 11:34 PM

Feb 2014
I am the bestu.

traed said:

The semicolon is basically used to end a sentence, then start another sentence that expands the sentence before it.

Eg.

Bob the Builder sucks; All his buildings always crumble.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Apr 26, 2016 11:44 PM

Feb 2016
BatoKusanagi said:
RyanEsau said:
You're not suppose to start sentences with And / But, truthfully though... that's just being a grammar nazi because no one really cares lol about that. At least internet wise...

Actually, it's fine: http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/01/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction/

Not what I was taught, always been told it's bad English. I tend to avoid doing it, most people don't really seem to care though internet-wise as I said. Not sure about irl, people probably care even less... I don't think people really would pay attention to each sentence like that to catch such errors in most cases.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Apr 26, 2016 11:46 PM

Feb 2014
RyanEsau said:
BatoKusanagi said:

Actually, it's fine: http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/01/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction/

Not what I was taught, always been told it's bad English. I tend to avoid doing it, most people don't really seem to care though internet-wise as I said. Not sure about irl, people probably care even less... I don't think people really would pay attention to each sentence like that to catch such errors in most cases.

I was told the same thing, and also about not starting sentences with Because. But I've seen some books do this, so I'm on the belief that it doesn't matter.

Plus, who really cares?
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Apr 27, 2016 12:07 AM

Aug 2015
Orewa not very good in Engrish desu.
Apr 27, 2016 12:10 AM

Mar 2016
I am good enough in English to correct that title.
Apr 27, 2016 12:31 AM

Sep 2014
Gudo morningu evwywan hava nicu day!

ingurishu izu not mai farst rangurichto... nanodesu!
Apr 27, 2016 1:09 AM

May 2013
LMFAO everyone is try harding with grammar in this thread. Never have I seen so many periods commas and capitalization XD

Nobody wants to say they have good grammar then typos some shit.

I'm aight, probs above average for sure when i try

too cool to care tho.

fkin nerds
Apr 27, 2016 1:19 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
I lack the possibility to use it more in practice. I am only forced to speak in english once a year. That is not very much opportunity to improve your skills.

In the time I lived together with international room mate my english skill were much better. I was forced to speak english because in a flat share you have to communicate about cleaning duties or sometimes about cooking something in the group together.

The only shared language was english. Thats why I had to speak it. It was a great time, because I could improve my own skills alot.

The problem is that after you have not used it for a while you will not be used to talk in the language anymore. You lose very much of your skill because it is not that important for you anymore.
Apr 27, 2016 1:26 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
RyanEsau said:

According to this website, the "rule" started in the 19th century to, supposedly, stop kids from overusing conjunctions. I regard it in the same way as the "rule" that you have to wait an hour after eating before swimming: unchallenged beliefs that, because they get repeated so often, people believe are actually true.

yosimba2000 said:

Plus, who really cares?

Not anyone who's written great books since the 10th century or guides of style.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 27, 2016 1:28 AM

Sep 2015
My spoken English is far, far worse than my written prose. But that's due to a mixture of speaking being less formal and my accent / dialect. I have a pretty bad accent, as far as English accents go At least I'm not a scouse and it can make me sound like a right chav at times.

traed said:

When either a comma or a period would suffice.You can use a semicolon when you want to add something else to an existing sentence whilst still having a break in it; you can effectively start a new sentence without using a period. It serves to give each sentence the same importance.
MazApr 27, 2016 1:48 AM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 27, 2016 1:35 AM

May 2013
Man I really take for granted being a native english speaker/living in the US. Makes everything more practical. Makes online shit more fun too. Living in the US is a god send for online gamers. I feel bad for people who game online and don't speak English. Or people who do but live in like AU and the game doesn't have servers there so they get 2k latency.
Apr 27, 2016 2:39 AM

Mar 2014
My skills went downhill since last year but it's still good enough I guess
Apr 27, 2016 2:55 AM

Oct 2007
I don't take that seriously if I make many mistakes or not when typing/speaking because it's pretty normal for that to happen, even for native speakers (non-native here).

English is a lot less strict than my mother tongue in terms of rules and I've had around 8 years of experience learning grammar for EFL teaching.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Apr 27, 2016 2:58 AM

Jun 2012
I think my grammar is good in practice, but I don't have much theoretical knowledge. I sometimes avoid proper grammar so as to not confuse others. For example, it would be correct to say that "my avoiding proper grammar was well-received", while "me avoiding proper grammar was well-received" is what most people would expect. One of the strangest things I've seen among native speakers is a kind of hypercorrection, like so: "it is up to you and I to do this". Surely, this can't be correct. How can something be "up to I"?

Anyhow, I'm not a native speaker and there are times when I feel limitations. That being said, I feel more confident syntactically in English and tend to have to spend less time translating thoughts into sentences than I do in my native language.
Apr 27, 2016 2:59 AM

Jun 2015
Lol Poople say I not good English talk.. think I good English speaker. I great English speaker nobodie understand. Hoe goot I being at English.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Apr 27, 2016 4:57 AM

Aug 2010
Shinjisus said:
I hit buttons on the keyboard and things are written. That's how english works, right?

No, fella. You've confused us with our livestock bothering neighbours.

Apr 27, 2016 5:21 AM
Nov 2011
wy yu gawt tu kwestun mai inglitch huuuuh?
ai nho et nawt gud yeht but com ohnnnnn

Apr 27, 2016 5:48 AM

Jan 2015
I'd like to think I am pretty good at it.
Apr 27, 2016 6:24 AM

Jul 2014
traed said:
BatoKusanagi said:
Let's just say that I found The Scarlett Letter light reading. And I've read the The Canterbury Tales as it was written. This one was a real challenge, though.

Aren't you not supposed to start sentence with "and"?

You should know better. Don't use no double negatives
Apr 27, 2016 6:48 AM

Feb 2015
I guess my English skills are ok, but as good as a native speaker.
Apr 27, 2016 7:02 AM

May 2015
What's "good at English"? In terms of the school subject, grammar and the like...not trying to brag or anything like that but I'm nearly perfect at it. It's mainly because I used to write a lot.

But in terms of my usage of the language? I regularly trip over my words in writing, and I once got absolutely destroyed in a battle of witticism by a non-native speaker. Twice.
Apr 27, 2016 7:07 AM

Oct 2009
I think it's pretty good, it can reach a native speaker's level more or less. Some mistakes here and there but it's pretty understandable. When I write, I pretty much go into circles or have a lot of run-on sentences LOL. But I get tongue-tied when I speak though, probably because of my accent.

And I use "LOL" lot... damn. xD

Apr 27, 2016 8:40 AM

Dec 2015
I at good at english. sure. sure....
Apr 27, 2016 8:42 AM

Apr 2009
don't english me guys please. hahaha
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2016 8:47 AM

Nov 2015
When I speak or write something serious I'll use proper grammar and flex my brain a little bit but on a forum... not so much lol.
Apr 27, 2016 8:53 AM

Apr 2010
traed said:
BatoKusanagi said:
Let's just say that I found The Scarlett Letter light reading. And I've read the The Canterbury Tales as it was written. This one was a real challenge, though.

Aren't you not supposed to start sentence with "and"?

It's totally okay to start your sentence with coordinating conjunctions.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is MAL dead? ( 1 2 3 )

-Mayhem- - Nov 30, 2022

121 by schizocat »»
59 minutes ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

86 by schizocat »»
1 hour ago

» What's the most important thing in the center of your mind rn?

LenRea - 5 hours ago

7 by LenRea »»
1 hour ago

» I think we live in a super-deterministic universe.

purple_rayn - Yesterday

34 by WeebIncelLoser »»
2 hours ago

» Need good news..

Scandalf - Yesterday

45 by KayKimii »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.