Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 15, 2015 4:31 AM

Jul 2013
This episode revealed a little bit of Sakurako-san's past. She might had a little brother or a friend that she lost. I like her character very much. This episode confirmed that for me, with her wit mind and hidden sentimentality.
The OP is enjoyable. The animation really is something in this anime, song isn't bad but maybe it would've been better that they picked another one. I especially like what they wrote at the beginning of the opening:
''A Story Dedicated to Those Trapped by the Past''
Shimai_niOct 15, 2015 4:34 AM
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Oct 15, 2015 4:43 AM

Feb 2014
This episode just flew by in no time. Much better second episode. Definitely one of the best new comers of the season.
Oct 15, 2015 4:56 AM

Jul 2011
Raz1515 said:
Gonna give this one last ep and see before dropping. Way too many ass pulls with an unrealistic mc

what ass-pulls? everything she found out i too could have pointed out, except maybe that the bone fracture was recent, but take that out, and everything was easily deductable by anyone who has the least amount of experience with yellow misteries.
Oct 15, 2015 5:12 AM

May 2015
I LOVED the OST which is played when sakurako say's 'let us solve the mystery'

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Oct 15, 2015 5:18 AM

Jun 2013
the OP is meh the episode was better than the first one but why all that trash?! the ED is good
Oct 15, 2015 5:42 AM

Feb 2014
A very intriguing episode. I agree with xSanox that it's always enjoyable for us viewers to look out for clues and piece them all together like the main characters do. Pretty engaging. =D

I have a lot of sympathy for the two kids though, having to now grow up without their mother while their father gets jailed for a long time.

I thought Utsumi was pretty useless at first, despite being friendly and all, but his attempt to subdue the drug-addict father was courageous of him, even after being stabbed in his side. Same goes to Shoutarou as well, with his swift martial-arts takedown on the guy.

Shoutarou's intervention did make Sakurako panic though. The flashback shows a younger version of herself as well as another guy, presumably called Soutarou. I wonder if he's still alive right now...

Anyway, I don't mind if the show continues on it's episodic path or goes into a multi-episode arc. Just as long as the cases and mystery remains as good as they have been already and that the viewers can engage with the cases as well, then I'm satisfied. =D
Oct 15, 2015 7:20 AM

Apr 2011
We heard the OP last week, guys. I didn't like the stock footage, more so considering she wasn't even wearing those clothes at the time. Bad move by TROYCA, I'd say. Other than that, this was a pretty decent episode. They should be finished introducing the characters and start on the story next week or they might have to rush it later on.
Oct 15, 2015 7:44 AM

Jul 2013
VanishingKira said:
So Sakurako is just going to magically deduct everything each episode,making any suspense/thrill of the crime that happened nonexistent,hope this series won't stay episodic otherwise this is going to get old quick

That applies for almost every detective story though. We know Kindaichi or Conan would always find the killer in the end but why should that take the suspense out of the case? the only difference is Sakurako does everything in one episode but unlike Kindaichi or Detective Conan, there are no intricate tricks, suspect interrogation, or fake persona.

Many times you can say they also "magically" deduct everything to minute details.. sometimes due to what I'd like to refer as divine intervention, like how there's always someone (in most cases Kogoro or Kenmochi) who happened to say something that gives a crucial hint just when Kindaichi or Conan hit a road block. If you put it in that perspective, Sakurako using her expertise in human body structure or noticing several clues scattered on the crime scene require less suspension of disbelief.

I might also add that even if she managed to solve the crimes, what actually happened during the crime was arguably just her most likely hypothesis based on the evidences. That's why she rectified what she thought might have happened on that night at the end of the episode. That however, is all there is to it. Just a piece of hypothesis with no sure method to determine the exact event, especially considering the two eyewitnesses are toddlers and the killer was under drug influence.
Oct 15, 2015 8:05 AM

Jul 2011
MoeGod said:
VanishingKira said:
So Sakurako is just going to magically deduct everything each episode,making any suspense/thrill of the crime that happened nonexistent,hope this series won't stay episodic otherwise this is going to get old quick

That applies for almost every detective story though. We know Kindaichi or Conan would always find the killer in the end but why should that take the suspense out of the case? the only difference is Sakurako does everything in one episode but unlike Kindaichi or Detective Conan, there are no intricate tricks, suspect interrogation, or fake persona.

Many times you can say they also "magically" deduct everything to minute details.. sometimes due to what I'd like to refer as divine intervention, like how there's always someone (in most cases Kogoro or Kenmochi) who happened to say something that gives a crucial hint just when Kindaichi or Conan hit a road block. If you put it in that perspective, Sakurako using her expertise in human body structure or noticing several clues scattered on the crime scene require less suspension of disbelief.

I might also add that even if she managed to solve the crimes, what actually happened during the crime was arguably just her most likely hypothesis based on the evidences. That's why she rectified what she thought might have happened on that night at the end of the episode. That however, is all there is to it. Just a piece of hypothesis with no sure method to determine the exact event, especially considering the two eyewitnesses are toddlers and the killer was under drug influence.

that's what i'm saying from the start! she's not a "magical detective"! everything she says makes sense, and she isn't even a detective, she doesn't solve cases, she just make hypothesis, in fact, the only weird thing here is how the police always let her intervene in the cases when all she does is saying "MAYBE this could have happened" and nothing more based on visual cues, most of which can be recognized by anyone, even those that contrary to her have no knowing of bones medicine.
Oct 15, 2015 8:14 AM

Oct 2013
... 10/10

I don't much mind episodic shows (in some cases prefer them), but they're not as likely to get high ratings from me, this one included. That said, this episode was spectacular. The theme in particular is something very close to me. I don't know how the rest of the show will play out, if the mysteries will be "boring," if it'll lose its charm, but at the very least it had this episode.

Considering the first episode was really good as well, though, I'm pretty sure this is simply a great series. There's already hints at character and plot development too.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 15, 2015 8:21 AM

Jan 2014
Mmh i had my issues with this episode, though overall it was good. Speaking to a three year old child about bones, in a quite harsh tone even, shouldn't get through like it did.
Oct 15, 2015 8:27 AM

Aug 2014
This episode gives some new mysteries that is likely will be mystery until the last episode. Who was Soutarou? Her brother? It is impossible her child. Then when the case has been completed, and Sakurako feel like there are spying on her, maybe someone stalker? Boyfriend? Or maybe her uncle who wants to see his niece in action?

The artwork in several parts of the anime is also captivating. Of course in addition to the time frame of colors appear, but the image of a tree with sky as the background at the end of the opening clip, drawing outside the residence Sakurako unsightly, and the ending clip was nice
Oct 15, 2015 8:33 AM

May 2010
Okay, this was epic. I love Sakurako for being openly insensitive about stuff which doesn't interest her. But it doesn't mean she is completely void of emotion. Althought not caring towards adults, she particularly cares about kids. Which makes me wonder if she was neglected as a child. Maybe her mom or dad left her, or had fights. And somehow the conflict/ neglect became the cause of her bone obsession. Then there's the deal with her... brother (?), Soutarou, too. Bad luck with corpses, maybe? Nonetheless, she's definitely intriguing.

Great mystery. I feel like there will be longer cases later. And Tatewaki is thankfully not spineless. I still don't like how much of a pacifist he is at times, like when Sakurako says there is something wrong with this corpse, and he instantly takes it in a bad light. He definitely needs more growth.
Oct 15, 2015 8:40 AM
Oct 2015
How she solve everything kinda remind me of Hyouka
Oct 15, 2015 8:52 AM

Apr 2015
I see I am not the only one disliking that "ritual" to start her detective mode. Other than that awesome show, so far the best anime this season.
Oct 15, 2015 8:53 AM

Jul 2007
TragicRomance said:
I still don't like how much of a pacifist he is at times, like when Sakurako says there is something wrong with this corpse, and he instantly takes it in a bad light. He definitely needs more growth.

I think its less about pacifism and more about not wanting her to get into trouble.

MoeGod said:
VanishingKira said:

Also let's not forget that she most likely WON'T always solve the case. It is only natural for a detective show to have a situation where the detective actually FAILS.

And in this case it makes it more realistic because her success depends on realistic factors too.
Oct 15, 2015 9:05 AM

Jun 2014
Sleeper hit of Fall 2015, no doubt.
Oct 15, 2015 10:34 AM

Jun 2012
so much cheese
Oct 15, 2015 10:49 AM

Jan 2014
ElenirLachlagos said:
This is not going to be a happy anime.

I'm not so sure about that. There are plenty of happy anime that end up punching you in the gut, while there are anime like Mushishi that deal with very serious issues, yet have an overall happy or rather serene tone. I suspect that this will actually be one of the latter kind.

RediceRyan said:
Japanese cops really not portrayed well in this show.

zeroyuki92 said:
By this point you need to roll with how polices actively involving civilian in murder cases.

I think it's quite fitting depiction of provincial police, which is just something we don't get to see very often. Laid back also with protocol, perhaps a bit too much, and frankly unprepared to deal with serious cases, but good willed, close to the people, and up for a challenge.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Oct 15, 2015 10:56 AM

Aug 2014
Damn, pretty entertaining.. I thought the Mother was a bad person, by how she was portrayed in the first minutes... She turned out to sacrifice herself for her children

And if I am correct, then maybe Shoutaru looks like the kid that Sakurako sees, probably the little brother? (I am taking a shot in the dark)

Also, this developed the 2 leads and brought them a bit closer :)
Oct 15, 2015 11:32 AM

Nov 2013
This episode was much better than the first. I really like the main female character, and the male lead is decent too.

Mother is still a whore for letting her children be abused, stay in a infested house and keep them near a drug-addicted psychopathic boyfriend (as I understood he was her boyfriend, but if not whatever, still a whore of a mother).
Oct 15, 2015 11:39 AM
Sep 2013
Shotaro is not useless, nice move there.
It's quite a sad episode with the mother died like that, and also we're about to get a plot twist with Soutaro and Shotaro things.

Two episodes and definitely will continue, i feel like watching Ranpo Kitan again.
Oct 15, 2015 11:53 AM

Jul 2007
Laionidas said:
ElenirLachlagos said:
This is not going to be a happy anime.

I'm not so sure about that. There are plenty of happy anime that end up punching you in the gut, while there are anime like Mushishi that deal with very serious issues, yet have an overall happy or rather serene tone. I suspect that this will actually be one of the latter kind.

RediceRyan said:
Japanese cops really not portrayed well in this show.

zeroyuki92 said:
By this point you need to roll with how polices actively involving civilian in murder cases.

I think it's quite fitting depiction of provincial police, which is just something we don't get to see very often. Laid back also with protocol, perhaps a bit too much, and frankly unprepared to deal with serious cases, but good willed, close to the people, and up for a challenge.

Considering the theme of this show seems to be mending past trages ("Story dedicates to those stuck in the past"), Id say it is quite happy and hopeful.

Sakurako also happens to be a daughter of a very influential local foreign professor who taught and worked with shitload of current cops. That usually should explain The reactions to her. Not to mention she also seems to be incredibly rich, which also weighs a lot in the provincial areas.
Oct 15, 2015 12:25 PM

Aug 2014
Pseudo-intellectual garbage
Oct 15, 2015 12:39 PM

Jul 2014
Completely engrossing from beginning to end. Better than the first episode which was great too, but as far as upwards curves go, this is where it stops (because 10/10 is the top of the scale)

I didn't find myself complaining as much about insert music this time as I did with the first episode either (first episode's ending dinner scene music was literally embarrassing, the kind no producer or composer would want on their resumé)

Stellar.

Second best episode I've seen of any anime ever, behind Kokoro Connect's episode 5.
Oct 15, 2015 12:43 PM

Mar 2009
Would have liked more details concerning the case.

Was the kid being abused?
Who was the crazy guy? The father? And if they were staying with him, why didn't they leave?
Why was the house such a mess? Trash everywhere...

Otherwise, I thought this was a good episode. Better than the first one.
Oct 15, 2015 1:00 PM
Apr 2015
Great episode! ^^

I think it's going to be the best anime of this season.
Oct 15, 2015 1:29 PM

Jul 2011
Joss-de-Jarjayes said:
Pseudo-intellectual garbage
you're talking about subete ga f.
Oct 15, 2015 1:43 PM

Apr 2015
Emotionally touching episode.

It reminded me of an episode of SVU that aired recently - both involved a lost child and parental neglect.
Oct 15, 2015 2:02 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Much better than the first episode. I'm thinking that Sakurako will have an interesting mystery behind her.

Poor kids. I really hope the drug addict that killed their mother wasn't their father. That would be doubly tragic.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 15, 2015 2:03 PM

Jun 2007
Tokoya said:
What I want to know is if the drug addict guy was their dad which in that case I can understand why they got abused but even so, this was really tragic.

Could be their father, but it is extremely common for boyfriends to abuse a woman and her children from another man (I unfortunately get to see this on a first hand basis a bit too often).
Oct 15, 2015 2:09 PM

Jan 2014
Hmmm,.. very mixed comments on here so far. Guess this is a hit or miss show. I actually like how simple and banal the cases are so far. Combined with the provincial setting, it's got that Scandinavian detective feel.

Red_Tuesday said:
(first episode's ending dinner scene music was literally embarrassing, the kind no producer or composer would want on their resumé)

Hadn't noticed untill you told so, but what's wrong with 8-bit digital plumbers symphonies?
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Oct 15, 2015 2:15 PM

Jun 2015
Another great episode. The OP was okay, not as good as I was hoping it would be but fine nonetheless. I quite liked the change to a much more intense and dramatic case this episode, as unlike in the first episode this one felt like it really had weight and substance. We also got some characterization for both of our leads - looks like Sakurako-san has had an interesting and more than a little emotional past, and Shoutarou is a black belt. I certainly didn't expect that one. That take-down looked really cool, I must say, and I actually liked how boyish he was afterward. He may be a little immature, but he can sure fight.

On the negative side, I feel like I may get a little tired of seeing that same "putting on the gloves" animation sequence every episode, but only time will tell. I also found it somewhat difficult to suspend my disbelief at some points. Firstly, the cop was really incompetent even though they tried to redeem him a bit in the end (though it was the high school student who actually took down the bad guy). Secondly, the amount of access and involvement Sakurako-san and Shoutarou have with the police in this episode is quite hard to imagine. I hope at some point they formally make her a police consultant so it's a little easier to stomach. If the whole show is them just randomly stumbling across cases and being allowed to help just "because" then I'll be a little disappointed.
Oct 15, 2015 2:31 PM

Apr 2014
It's a good thing that those kids are ok...god that was scary.
This series is more interesting than I thought it would be.
Sakurako...yelling at that little boy, is he Shoutarou when he was young or was he her little brother?
I'm hook.
Oct 15, 2015 2:35 PM

Jun 2015
hlubkoj2020 said:
It's a good thing that those kids are ok...god that was scary.
This series is more interesting than I thought it would be.
Sakurako...yelling at that little boy, is he Shoutarou when he was young or was he her little brother?
I'm hook.

I think it was a Freudian slip. She called him "Soutarou" by accident, who I believe is the boy we saw in her flashback. The guy's name is Shoutarou, not Soutarou, hence why he was confused when she called him that and wondered who Soutarou is.
MagisterEquitumOct 15, 2015 3:10 PM
Oct 15, 2015 2:37 PM

Jul 2015
Such a good episode, thrilling. Awesome ED song.
Oct 15, 2015 3:01 PM

May 2013
Wow that was awesome.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 15, 2015 3:40 PM
Mar 2015
Now that was really intense, it seems that Sakurako has gone through a lot and i hope we don´t get a sad ending. Also Shoutarou surprised me when he went badass.

Loved the OP, not sure about the ED. While the fanservice was good, i think it does not fit with the mood of the series.

By the way, Is the little girl voiced by the same VA that did Naru from Barakamon? I am glad we´ve got to see more of her.
VenRiq19Oct 15, 2015 3:46 PM
Oct 15, 2015 5:01 PM

Nov 2012
I hope this won't turn into another ranpo kitan *sigh*
Oct 15, 2015 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
I kind of wish they spent more time on the mystery in this episode. This whole episode feel rush.
Oct 15, 2015 6:15 PM

Jul 2011
She forms hypotheses as she discovers new evidence. Everyone initially thought it was abuse, but as the details unfolded and the perpetrator even came back - that pretty much gave it away. I didn't see anything that didn't have foreshadowing or was shown on screen. No BS aside from TV-style quick thinking and correctly/accurately guessing how the events unfolded.

Also, it's episodic right now so we can't expect intricate crimes. Last episode she only looked at the body which really annoyed me, but this episode she actually touched and inspected the corpse. Not only did we get some flashbacks for Sakurano for the future, but instead of simply the eccentric bone-loving woman she was portrayed as in the first episode, this episode quickly gave her a human side. She seems to have a weak side for young children and babies - she gave in to help identify Ii-chan at the door after glancing at her, and was desperate to save the infant and even willing to risk her life at knifepoint to do it. It was also a surprise to see Shotarou know martial arts - super helpful! And I love how it was revealed appropriately. It was thrilling to watch how that scene unfolded. It also changed his relationship with Sakurako.

So far I'm really impressed with everything. The second episode has made the series really solid. Now later on if they encounter a crime that's harder to solve, then that will be excellent. Almost all detective shows start off with an episodic or easy/basic case before diving into the complicated stuff anyways, that's just the formula. But everything about this series so far is great, and the OP/ED are catchy too.
Oct 15, 2015 6:46 PM

Oct 2011
Interested in her past.
Oct 15, 2015 7:06 PM
Dec 2013
Remember the main character question what is their relationship in the first episode? Now I am guessing he is her "brother substitute".
Oct 15, 2015 7:20 PM

Jul 2015
The suspense was great, edge of my seat. Sakurako pulling off some detective transformation- it'll never get old. this case was more solvable by the viewers than episode 1 I think.
Oct 15, 2015 8:16 PM

Jan 2011
This was a fantastic episode. The anime does a great job with building up suspense and the overall mystery. Sakurako's fascination for bones really makes her very useful in cases like these, just like a detective. Her finding out about the other child in a secret underground spot was really smart. I was shocked to see Hiroki get stabbed by the culprit but I'm glad he's alright. It's nice to see Yuriko was somehow connected to this situation. Seems like she'll have a greater role in this anime than I'd thought. Shoutarou was very courageous when he faced the culprit and took him down. That moment reminded Sakurako of a little kid called Soutarou; I assume it might be her younger brother and he probably died in the past. I like how this anime also reveals how the how mystery took place right at the end of the episode.

I love the OP song a lot and visuals are really nice too. There seems to be lots of subtle hints in there too. Especially with Yuriko talking to someone then they disappear or with Shoutarou at the grave and a younger Sakurako seems to be there too. The ED is great too, naked Sakurako though. I like the song though. xD
5/5
Oct 15, 2015 8:43 PM

Nov 2014
that was pretty damn intense, I like this show
Hi there
Oct 15, 2015 8:54 PM

Sep 2013
Another great episode. And despite how visually impressive it is, that "Now, let us solve the mystery" scene is gonna get annoying quick so I really hope they stop doing it like next episode.
Oct 15, 2015 9:10 PM

Apr 2012
Not sure if i dig this episodic format but the episode overall was pretty good. The mother seemed to have neglected her child and lived like a slob, but ultimately she did everything she could to save her children. Wish they gave a bit more information about the culprit. I wonder if the mother knew him or not or was it just a completely random attack. Also the mahou shojo transformation was really lame and oh the cop

Oct 15, 2015 9:36 PM

Sep 2013
Some deus ex machina there to advance the plot but the mystery is okay I guess. Sakurako's "magical girl transformation" when wearing her gloves is still pretty annoying and unnecessary though.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 15, 2015 9:43 PM

Jul 2015
Probably my favorite show of this season. Absolutely loved this episode!

I wonder how this show will progress or which direction it will go, either way I'm hyped for the next episode.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2015

214 by Hiki_kun »»
Sep 14, 3:35 AM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2015

118 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 29, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2015

158 by SaltyCookie »»
Jun 14, 4:40 AM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2015

143 by SaltyCookie »»
Jun 4, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2015

169 by SaltyCookie »»
Jun 4, 4:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.