Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 27, 2015 2:06 AM

Jan 2015
Between this and rebellion I'm thinking maybe urobuchi isn't cut out for the movie format. Hopefully the psycho pass movie proves me wrong on this.
Feb 2, 2015 4:07 AM

Apr 2014
Great movie. CGI at its best. Characters were likeable and story was interesting. Overally, this movie gets a solid 8/10. Good job.
CynthesizerFeb 2, 2015 6:12 AM
Feb 8, 2015 2:52 PM

Aug 2012
That was .. hands down .. one of the best movies i've seen.
Feb 10, 2015 11:31 AM

Aug 2008
Who even does 3DCG movies any more. It looks horrible. Not to mention choosing the worst VA for the main heroine that comes to mind. I thought it might be enjoyable but not looking and sounding like that. 15 minutes and I already don't feel like watching it any more.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 14, 2015 2:10 PM

May 2011
Honestly wouldn't have watched if Angela wasn't designed the way she was. The 3DCG looked pretty nice, although I think it would've looked nicer on a TV/monitor (I watched it on my laptop).

It was great to hear Kugimiya Rie as a lead action heroine again. Personally, I haven't heard her do this type of role since Shana/Louise.
Feb 16, 2015 9:34 AM

Jul 2014
10/10 best thing ever.
Feb 16, 2015 11:02 AM

Jul 2014
I think the movie was OK. Nothing special but not that bad either. Visuals were very good (it had some of the best use of 3Dcg I've seen in any anime) and the OST was pretty good.

The story was a bit forgettable and the characters we're nothing special either but I liked Frontier Setter a lot.

Not a movie I'd go around recommending to people but if it catches your eye and it seems like a type of movie you usually like to watch, you will probably enjoy it.
Feb 19, 2015 12:08 PM

Nov 2007
That was awesome. I personally liked this type of 3DCG better than Sidonia just because it had bits of comedy slapstick in it. I hope they make more things like this.
Feb 21, 2015 3:04 PM

May 2012
I'm never a fan of CGI anime but well this was rather acceptable and the story had a really nice touch to it, especially that ending was great! So all in all this was a very good movie if you ask me!
Feb 23, 2015 10:23 AM

Jan 2014
Interesting story and theory behind it.
Aww man, kinda like Karen senki a bit, but this one hv larger boobs.

Movie weakness..... less prologue n opening story, long nonsenical chit chat, poor ending and use ur imagination after that :p

hope for tv series with more developed stories
Mar 25, 2015 12:07 PM

Jan 2014
OST is strong and fitting...

I loved ideas and realization, to be honest. Also ending action was so exciting, that i was at the edge of my seat..
Great movie 8.5/10
Apr 10, 2015 6:41 AM

Sep 2014
i liked it. the idea is nice, has kind of GitS vibe
nice music, overall pretty good movie
Apr 15, 2015 11:47 AM

Jan 2012
7/10
I honestly still didn't like the CGI even though I will say that it's one of the best done CGI's out of any series.

The fight scenes would have looked better if rendered at higher FPS as the movie doesn't look fluid at all.

The plot was kind of lackluster in that we didn't really get much of a ending.

The OST was good and well done.

I want to say that the main seiyuu does have good talent , however I feel that it didn't fit Angela entirely.

TL;DR Overall just have a few minor complaints except for that it was okay , not good not bad just okay.
Apr 30, 2015 10:48 PM
Oct 2011
Yohimo_asakura said:
OST is strong and fitting...

I loved ideas and realization, to be honest. Also ending action was so exciting, that i was at the edge of my seat..
Great movie 8.5/10

Yeah, I really enjoyed the movie, I was into it the whole time and yeah that last section with the battle was really gripping and well paced and jaw-dropping looking.

One of my favorites in a while.

I loved the ideas and the themes (and the reveal of Frontier Setter), plus I really felt like I got on board with the characters pretty quickly, I thought the 3 leads and their different perspectives were great to watch as they began to interact and I ended up really liking all three so it was great watching them come together. Maybe they could have been deeper as they were pretty straightforward characters, but I found them quite enjoyable to watch thanks to that.

The action and the character moments I found the best parts. Those mech battles looked stunning. I also really liked Frontier Setter's overall story, it had a really nice vibe to it.

While cell-shaded CG like this is still not liked by everyone, I thought they did a really impressive job improving on what's been done so far with it and this is the best I think they've done so far on the style, the visuals here were really good and Angela animated quite well.

The soundtrack was really good too.

Mizushima's still rocking as one of my favorite directors with this, the first FMA, and Gundam 00. I need to watch Oh Edo Rocket eventually since he apparently did that too.
DangerMouseDMApr 30, 2015 10:57 PM
May 3, 2015 7:56 PM
Oct 2010
The amount of material this anime stole from Man Machine Interface and Ergo Proxy is offensive.
May 3, 2015 8:05 PM

May 2014
It stole from Ergo Proxy?

What about it reminded you of Ergo Proxy?
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
May 8, 2015 3:14 AM

Jan 2014
7/10 overall.

Forgetable plot, forgetable characters, amazing but also forgetable art/animation, but 10/10 entertainment value. It's the beer you drink at a barbecue, with friends, not that one whisky you sip on a stormy evening.

hentai_proxy said:
The amount of material this anime stole from Man Machine Interface and Ergo Proxy is offensive.
Kenjataimu said:
It stole from Ergo Proxy?

What about it reminded you of Ergo Proxy?

I actually watched this because someone recommended it to me as being akin to Ergo Proxy. In my opinion, this doesn't come anywhere near Ergo Proxy. I don't mean in terms of quality, you honestly just can't compare the two. The whole feel, set-up, and everything is just different. It's a 100 minute popcorn flick, rather than a slow 26 episode revelation.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
May 20, 2015 10:58 PM

Jun 2012
Ahh I hate how character movement looks so robotic with CGI, hard to take it srsly.
May 30, 2015 12:42 PM

May 2014
Thought it was pretty decent! Did good for a movie. Pretty sweet action, although the plot is far from anything special.

Still, enjoyed it enough for an 8/10.
May 31, 2015 2:01 PM
Feb 2012
An incredibly weak and boring movie for Butcher standards (assuming he was actually involved in the story, unlike Aldnoah Zero). It had some nice visuals here and there but the characters were badly written without leaving any lasting impression whatsoever while the story was as plain and lackluster as they come.
Almost two hours of my life I'm not getting back.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jun 8, 2015 9:19 AM

Jan 2009
I'd say this movie was just okay. The plot wasn't very good and was too predictable; seemed like it was trying to be deep (from the dialogue) but I just didn't think I was. The animation was a mixed bag. The fights scenes were awesome and fluid but the character movements seemed unnatural when they were walking around / doing normal things.

Average Netflix watch, 6/10

Jun 8, 2015 11:51 PM

Mar 2015
Wow with subzero expectations it was actually okay. :D
Enjoyed it as a "mindless" watch but that's obviously not what the movie was going for.
Jun 11, 2015 10:11 AM

Jun 2013
Great CG. Visual-feast action. Good OST. Frontier Setter and Dingo were likable characters. I think the creators did a disservice to Angela's character. She had an interesting story and good interactions with Dingo, but by making her act like a tsundere light novel heroine (as someone else so eloquently put) and focusing so much on the eye-candy aspect of her character, it felt like cheap pandering in context of everything else that was going on. I appreciate good eye candy as much as the next person, but it was not used right here. Definitely had the typical Urobuchi flavor with the whole "proof of my existence" and "what does it truly mean to be free" and "moral code" and "definition of humanity" stuff. Pretty good overall, but nothing more.

Also...

Balzac. Really?
Jun 13, 2015 10:07 PM

Sep 2011
Uhm... Mixed here and there feelings. I felt very confused a lot of the times during the movie. Some iffy character voicing at times and characters forehead on the girl was kinda lolzy xD. The scenery, such as the clouds, was nicely done though.

CGi animation for the fighting was superb. I was expecting it to be pretty bad in that part.

I was quite bored through a lot of the movie up until the action type scenes.

I was swapping between dub and sub at the same time and I enjoyed the dub a lot more for the girls voice. The JP/Dub for Frontier Setter and Dingo was about equal imo.

7/10 for me
TyrelJan 30, 2016 2:05 PM
Jun 16, 2015 11:59 AM

Apr 2013
Pretty solid. I love the ED, "EONIAN" by ELISA. Even the Engrish version is solid.
dankzelJun 16, 2015 12:24 PM
Jun 17, 2015 7:57 PM
Aug 2014
Not a bad watch. How unfortunate for humans to lose one of the few desires we ever had since the dawn of time: to explore the unknown that is beyond the stars.

8/10
Jun 19, 2015 9:06 AM

Aug 2014
I'm glad they aged down the heroine; God forbid another adult character! Pretty average. Hated the ending. No one went with Frontier Setter into space?! Fuck them.
QuattroVaginasJul 6, 2015 8:56 AM
Sieg Zeon!
Jun 20, 2015 11:32 AM

Aug 2014
Pretty good movie, love the ost in this. Well, Angela's facial expressions were priceless lol
Rating 8/10
Jul 1, 2015 1:23 AM

Nov 2011
Didn't think this would be CG, some nice theories regarding the world, confused in a few places but decent male MC.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 1, 2015 8:22 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
This was pretty good. The first few minutes made me think I wouldn't enjoy it very much but I did. I like the relationship between Dingo and Angela. It's not romanticized and they genuinely feel like partners in their line of work. The extra details for explaining things was nice too. Overall, I'm satisfied.

The fanservice from the different angles of Angela were nice too. It didnt feel too distracting. Just eye candy/fan service.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Jul 4, 2015 4:57 PM

Jun 2013
Any chance that this movie will get anime in the future?
About Angel's life on Earth and her adaptation to it?

Now this premise would be interesting to see.
Jul 5, 2015 8:33 PM
Dec 2011
this movie is awesome it has so much value and gives a great message "paradise means freedom" i love it and the English voice actors were absolutely fantastic :3
Jul 8, 2015 3:02 AM

Apr 2014
Nitroplus announced a novel, due out on September 11 , entitled Rakuen Tsuihō 2.0 : Rakuen Zangyō -Godspeed You-

plot:

I'm very happy, i love this movie
Aug 18, 2015 9:23 PM

Nov 2012
I liked it, 8 of 10, but I think some of the stuff a bit unrealistic. Like her moral code seems to come out of no where, and the reaction of the government to lock her up permanently and forgoing any type of trial and stuff seemed rather rushed and emotional of them. At the same time, they were sort of right in the sense of not being able to trust him or what if he comes back considering he could basically take out the entire society, it would be like having some dude with an atomic bomb, and is known to ignore rules, and then just let him be if he claims he won't do any harm.
Jaywalker.
Aug 21, 2015 6:57 PM

Feb 2013
I liked it. It was very fun to watch. Good action. Good pacing. Good service.

Other thoughts:
1. Zegapain?
2. Good job, you helped the crazy AI get up to his massive space-laser. Now he's gonna blow stuff up!
Aug 31, 2015 12:19 AM

Nov 2009
Awesome movie in my opinion, 9/10 for sure.
Sep 17, 2015 8:19 PM

Jun 2009
tbh i really like the 3dcg in this movie and i thought it looked pretty good. plot itself was fine and the music was good as well. overall, very satisfying movie.
jjihhyeSep 17, 2015 8:24 PM

Sep 24, 2015 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
This movie is really disappointing.Although the animation is not bad, and I like Frontier Setter.
Oct 3, 2015 1:37 PM

Apr 2011
"I don't want to live in paradise if I have to be a prisoner"
Oct 17, 2015 5:33 AM

Sep 2014
they didn't go too deep in the story wich is something i find positive, avoiding confusion for a better enjoyment and such.
the movie turned out to be better than what i expected actually!
the fact that you can feel the frontier setter emotion even if he's talking in monotone was a good aspect too....(dammit araragi what are planning to do in space)
2 things a appreciated the most: angela's ass and the ending song. they're both beautiful ( ゚ヮ゚)

Bookmeter ╠╣ class summon
Oct 19, 2015 8:20 AM

Nov 2011
Overall it is a film not so bad as I thought, after seeing the average grade. Certainly though not short, still it can not be exhaustive on many domende that the viewer can ask, but certainly at the end of the vision, does not leave you with nothing in hand. So many questions and so many answers, but also a lot of action and sci glimmers. A bit at the end everyone will be satisfied, for now I am satisfied in half, but I preferred not a graphic in full 3DCG, but traditional and some other scenic adaptation, in certain parts of the movie, oh well!
My vote, for now, is 8/10.
Oct 22, 2015 4:23 AM

Feb 2015
It was a little bit confusing in the beginning, but i didn't expect to be this good. i'm not a mecha fans but the action was really amazing. i love it. and i really like the way they end the story. That weird robot/Frontier Setter is really funny too, i like it.

This is the kind of story i want to see. Nice story :D 9/10

Perfect voice acting too btw :)
Oct 22, 2015 4:25 AM

Aug 2010
Don't really like this type of CG(?) animation, partly because I'm not used to it :S

On the other hand, this movie brings about interesting discussion on humanity. The mecha scenes were also pretty good, especially when they (Frontier S & Angela) were still on space trying to get back to earth.

Kind of sad in the end Frontier Setter went by himself though.. I kinda wished/thought that at least Angela would leave with him/it though...

And the fan service was there (Angela's outfit lol) but not the unpleasantly, in-your-face sort, which I prefer much much more.
Nov 11, 2015 11:46 PM

Apr 2009
That was surprising, I haven't expected anything when I downloaded and started watching this, I didn't even read the synopsis! Ah paradise, it isn't perfect...

Dingo might be making sense but he'll be exploiting your skills, stripping and selling your equipments, and you down to your skivvies in no time. LOL

I am concerned about the last dialogue in Central Security where they concluded they would need to govern more for peace and prosperity of Deva. Would that mean even more control and restriction in the future, including dirtside? Not good. >_<

Best of luck and Godspeed, Frontier Setter! Give a good word about us but neither deify nor demonize us, show them 「Humanity」. XD

The CG was tolerable once you've get accustomed to it. The Angela's hairs are stiff even though they make fluid motion, Final Fantasy rendered hairs are better by light years. IMHO plot-wise, there's a bit of cliché here and there but it mashed it up well and made it all in it's own so I thought it was OK by me. 7/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 28, 2015 3:53 PM

Jul 2013
enjoyable
Jan 3, 2016 5:57 AM

Feb 2015
Man that ending action was top stuff, really loved the look of the newer model of the mech, oh and that sword and shield moment was badass.
Really enjoyed the ending, heck I really enjoyed the CG.
8/10 for me, glad I finally got around and bought this.
Jan 5, 2016 3:07 AM
Jul 2018
That was actually quite enjoyable. I liked it more than I thought I would. I liked the two main characters and their banter was pretty good at times. Interesting concept and I wasn't expecting the Frontier Setter twist. The movie got pretty good after that.

Rating: 8/10

Not perfect, but quite enjoyable. There are a lot of worse anime movies you could watch than this.
Jan 6, 2016 10:00 AM
Aug 2013
I just watched this. The Tsundere-esque heroine was amusing, her partner was "okay" but a little bland. The action scenes were snooze inducing but when they weren't doing action scenes it had some interesting ideas.

It almost seemed like one of those prose scifi stories that don't have big fight scenes- and the fight scenes seemed pretty gratuitous.

I had no idea it was by the writer of Modaka Magica.

I'd rate the movie 7 out of 10.
Mar 13, 2016 6:41 PM
Aug 2013
Will be there a next movie?
Jul 9, 2016 1:34 PM

Apr 2014
Oh my. I was very skeptical about the movie, because first of all it was completely CGI, but this really surprised me, the plot kept me captivated, really glad I gave it a shot!
It gave a little bit WALL-E vibe. :-)
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» It might just be me but

mydaddy - Apr 27

5 by Tamasul »»
Apr 28, 2:52 PM

» Sequel

Chipp12 - Jan 26

9 by Yay267 »»
Feb 7, 9:21 AM

» what's the name of that song Dingo sings with his guitar before the end credits roll

YeetDabMcFapDab - Nov 20, 2022

1 by Renzoku_Rentou »»
Nov 28, 2022 1:00 AM

» Rated R+ for mild nudity?

TaigaStyle - Jan 14, 2015

6 by Felkyr »»
May 27, 2020 8:11 AM

» The BD/DVD will come out on 10 December.

rederoin - Sep 14, 2014

38 by DangerMouseDM »»
Apr 30, 2015 11:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.