Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 19, 2014 8:46 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great action this episode. It really showed and highlighted the intensity of the battles. Leon struggles quite a bit compared to some of his previous battles.

Leon needs to control his emotions better tbh especially when it comes to mentioning his mother. Was glad to see a ray of hope though and also, Alfonso played some memorable role. I feel bad for him having to deal with his loss..
Dec 19, 2014 10:23 AM

Aug 2010
Was this the last ep or something XD It had ending vibes. I know it's not but...

DAT Literal cliffhanger XD

Really good ep. Leon just went insane seeing "False" images of his mom's death. Is Mendoza really dead though O_o? Like Herman said that was way too abrupt XD I doubt it tbh.

Gotta admit Alfonso was BA this ep. Didn't expect he'd be taking Garo now :O And boy can he use it better than Leon. I loved his monologue at the end...wondering if he could blame Leon because he'd probably do the same if his mom was taken hostage. I guess we know who Bernando's successor is now though. Probably Leon when he's gets out of his emo mode and if he's alive after jumping of a cliff somehow XD I wonder what happened to Raphael's armor? Alfonso just discarded it just like that?? After all the supposed feels at his death O_o? XD

And seems like Herman's got himself a Waifu now. This chick's been appearing quite a lot for a side character. It's either her or Ema. But she gives off Waifu vibes more.
Dec 19, 2014 10:25 AM

Nov 2013
awww, Poor Leon.
Is he dead?

This felt like a final episode
Dec 19, 2014 10:28 AM
Dec 2013
Mendoza died to fast for me probs be seeing him again.
Dec 19, 2014 10:30 AM

Jul 2010
Leon causing that much destruction to the town.

Leon being unable to control himself, that was quite the fight with Alfonso in the hellfire!

Losing to right to be a Makai Knight :/ Alfonso uses the golden armour and defeats Mendoza. With Mendoza gone and Alfonso bringing peace once again.

Having to stand back up by himself. Leon standing in front of a cliff...
Dec 19, 2014 10:38 AM

Jun 2013
Did someone understand the preview?

(looks yummy though)
Dec 19, 2014 10:44 AM

Nov 2012
Felt kinda meh for last episode. Having trouble believing Mendozza is really gone.

Leon does no growing whatsoever, so he is gonna need another cour just to get a chance to shine.
Dec 19, 2014 11:06 AM

Nov 2011
get that boy outa here!
Hate Keeps me warm
Dec 19, 2014 11:07 AM

Jun 2012
Attention future anime characters wanting to go on a journey of revenge:
Go to a computer and watch Leon's journey spiral down

German getting saved by the woman he had streaked by multiple times can't be a coincidence
HybridMBLDec 19, 2014 11:47 AM
Dec 19, 2014 11:45 AM

Jun 2014
damn. what a plot twist and what a cliffhanger
:3
Dec 19, 2014 11:47 AM

Aug 2014
My favorite episode so far of the series.
Dec 19, 2014 11:57 AM

Apr 2014
Man Leon went berserk and lost his armor to Alfonso. I guess that shows us that revenge isn't the best motive to fight.
Mendoza's death was hilarious imo.

Leon having no reason to live anymore decided to commit suicide.

I don't think he's gonna die. I think that they might do something similar to what they did with Bernardo and make him a dark knight or make him become Kiba(Kiba was the main antagonist of the first live action Garo series for those who don't know).

Dec 19, 2014 12:21 PM

Sep 2013
Wow, what the hell happened? The quality of this episode is way higher than the others. I feel like if the others had been handled in a less cliche and more fleshed out way, this episode would have had more impact.

Art/Animation: The best fight choreography in the series thus far. Everything felt high scale and action packed. The design of the horror after it left the building was so screwed up and horrific. The design of the berserker Garo armor was pretty cool too. I also liked the facial expressions Leone had at the end.

Sound: Great as always.

Story+Characters:
Okay, the episode wasn't perfect. As I said above, everything that happened in it would have had much more impact with better build up and character backdrop. The way Mendoza was defeated was also very rushed and disappointing, now on to the good though.

That episode went areas that I did not expect at all. I thought it was just going to be a straight up fight against Mendoza but it ended up being a lot more than that. It ended up with Leone being the main antagonist more than Mendoza or the horror, all caused by his negative feelings created from his mothers suffering. Mendoza using his mothers suffering to turn Leone into a monster, great work there, it not only gave us a more in depth look into his mentality but also moved the plot along in a very thrilling way.

Alfonso suddenly being so amazing with the Garo armor and defeating the horror was very rushed but what it leads to was what I found great. Leone now has lost everything, his armor, his motivation and was abandoned by his father(Though he had good reasons to do so). I feel like Leone will be a much better character from now on.

Alfonso finding out that his mother killed herself, okay ya, I saw it coming ever since we had the scene where the guards said Mendoza would use her as a hostage if it came to it. I like how Alfonso pays tribute to her, knowing why she did it and respecting her for it, glad he didn't go the route of Hope from FF13 where he would blame it on others and cry over it for the whole series, much more mature this way. Again though, if they gave more insight into their relationship then this would have had more impact on the viewer.

Ema was a badass... that's pretty much all I have to say... I do like how she has become kind of motherly towards Leone though.

German meets up with the laundry girl. Didn't expect to see her again but I appreciate the foreshadowing even if that episode was mostly filler. lol

All in all, probably the best episode so far... so many interesting themes, so many plot elements that surprised me but felt natural. It had some rushed pacing and the impact was lacking but still fantastic. This show continues to be very solid albeit too cliche to feel fresh...
Dec 19, 2014 12:46 PM
Nov 2013
Wow, did not expect these events to happen. Especially Leon losing his armor and Alfonso becoming the golden knight. I also have a hard time believing Mendoza is really gone, but I kinda hope he is. The choreography for the action scenes was amazing, props to Mappa. I wonder how many episodes are left, and what up with the weird live action preview for episode 13?

Anyway, good episode. One of the best episodes even if it seemed a little fast paced.
Dec 19, 2014 12:51 PM

May 2010
Alfonso was badass this episode where leon just looked pathetic and very mentally unstable like so many times before. im glad he lost the golden armor.

best episode of the show sofar. also mendoza is alive.
Dec 19, 2014 12:52 PM

Nov 2009
WOW! I abandoned all hope to see Alfonso as the Golden Knight, and now, suddenly! Me, happyXD I like Leon and I feel for him, but just look at just how much better Alfonso is suited to that armor! Zaruba is now also Alfonso's, right?

Somehow, I doubt Mendoza died. And I also suspect the Golden armor will return to Leon in the future. And anyway, why there can't be 2 Golden knights? Or at least they could have turns wearing the armor or something...
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Dec 19, 2014 1:18 PM

Jul 2010
So, does this mean that this is the last episode for season 1?
yeo
Dec 19, 2014 1:21 PM

Nov 2013
Dat cliffhanger... Best episode so far! Hmm and i'm not sure if Mendoza really died...

Dec 19, 2014 1:30 PM

Sep 2014
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE [u][i]RED ARMOR AND SWORD[/i][/u] THO?!!!
Darstorm-SandudeDec 19, 2014 1:35 PM
I don't consider myself a good judge.

trying not to be an obnoxious otaku
Dec 19, 2014 1:44 PM

Dec 2012
No, no, no - you're not eating nabe, go make the next episode!! (メ`ロ´)/

Okay, so Leon and mom need to come clean out of this. Kind of expected this to happen, yet it came too harsh. The Golden Knight should be standing for something more than a memento, it's a miracle the armor didn't succumb to a Horror till now. Can't say where the Death Billiards will take Leon, but will hope for his best.

Good for Alfonso, although there's something off too. He saved his kingdom from Mendozza, got an armor or two, but the real trials begin from this point onwards. Should the Golden Knight serve one kingdom or devote himself to the quest against Horrors.

German isn't an idiot father afterall and one lucky SOB.

I am somewhat pleased I don't know who would be the next knights under the Makai armors. And really want to find out!

5/5

6/5 for the nabe
Dec 19, 2014 2:08 PM

Nov 2012
i don't know what to think of this episode. i'm mad that leon lost the gold armor, but that means character growth (which imo he needs) but what is going to happen now?

Dec 19, 2014 2:10 PM

Jun 2014
I really want to smack someone now. I was on Leon's side until this episode and now I want Alphonso to feel the same pain he did while seeing his mom getting burned.

But still, great episode. I really wanted to see a fusion though .-.
That preview just holds the suspense for the next episode even higher. What's better than to make a preview with food?
LEON DON'T DIE ON ME BRAH
Dec 19, 2014 2:24 PM
Jun 2014
This was a sad ep.
Definitely gave off that 'last episode' vibe.

Poor Leon. So many bad things happened at once, now he wants to die.
I have always like Alfonso and all, but I hope Leon gains his golden armor back.
Honestly what I can be happy about is that there is bound to be character development.
And I can't wait for Leon to improve :)
Dec 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Aug 2012
I love the way they handled the parallel between Leon and Alfonso. Leon needs someone to understand him so he can get through his conflicts, someone who isn't his dad. Thought it was going to be Alfonso, and I think he does to an extent, but that won't happen now. Man, that ending though. Can't wait to see what's next for everybody, especially Leon after he's(literally) hit rock bottom.
Dec 19, 2014 2:57 PM

Jul 2014
A very good episode. Not ideal, but the themes it explores are interesting and not overused in anime. Garo rocks a hero bildungsroman story.

I hope that Mendoza comes back, because he died a bit too easily (Leon going berserk is another story), but I won't be too irritated if not.
His "The quality of Makai Knights has dropped" remark was hilarious.

Leon sure fell low. It's rare to see a young hero be so miserable and uncool. He won't stay armorless for too long of course. There is Bernardo's armor and someone has to inherit the armor of Gaia... Still he has messed up gratly and has to learn his lesson in a very hard way. Iit will be difficult for him to gain Alfonso's trust again, if it's possible for him at all.

It is interesting that they made Alfonso mirror Leon's story, though I hope that it won't be a complete repeat. I don't want Alfonso to lose his dignity too. Not that I like him too much, but he sure deserves to be strong by this moment. But it's a bit worrying that he doesn't have an older Makai mentor anymore. So I suspect that things won't stay good for him for long...
Dec 19, 2014 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
Leon caused so much destruction to town.

Leon lost his armor to Alfonso.
Dec 19, 2014 3:21 PM

Nov 2012
That was a bit harsh towards Leon, but I just think the fall of Alonso will be even harder than his. He kind of climbed to the top way to fast and too easy.
I think most likely Alonso is bound to get blind by power and ultimately fail like Leon, and we will have the repeat of the same instead with Leon claiming back the Golden Armor.
Dec 19, 2014 3:49 PM

Jul 2008
I kinda hope Leon becomes a dark knight and murders all the other protagonists. I'd really enjoy seeing that.
Dec 19, 2014 3:55 PM

Jan 2013
woah woah woah, what the what?

They treated Leon like "trash"... poor kid wasn't at fault, he was being... "mentally tortured" and that's what made him go berserk, instead of being a dick to him, they should had lent him a shoulder...
Dec 19, 2014 4:26 PM

Apr 2014
Silver4000 said:
woah woah woah, what the what?

They treated Leon like "trash"... poor kid wasn't at fault, he was being... "mentally tortured" and that's what made him go berserk, instead of being a dick to him, they should had lent him a shoulder...

Well, Herman wouldn't have to punch him, if he had shown actual character development, and wasn't all, "MY MOMMY'S DEAD!!! WAHHH!!!" For the whole season.
CM said:
Right now, me, right now, in Cleveland, Ohio, take fucking care of me right fucking now. Don't worry about where I'm supposed to be tomorrow. Don't worry about what segment I'm supposed to be. Fucking fix me. My fucking ribs are broken, my knee is fucking torn up, I'm fucking sick. Fucking help me.
Dec 19, 2014 6:45 PM
Jul 2012
Leon looks like he's headed towards the dark side. Kind of sad he lost the golden armor but the other guys deserves it. Story continues next episode. Plus the movie and second season! Will be waiting!
Dec 19, 2014 8:18 PM

Jun 2014
MrNeet said:
I actually don't feel sorry for Leon.

Chick Alchemist was right, he's still a child.

He needs to grow up.

My feeling exactly. I liked Leon., but he couldn't do what he needed to do. he was obsessed. So he's either going to actually die at the bottom of that cliff, or survive and become a dark knight. maybe emma saves him?
But what the hell is with that next episode preview?
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Dec 19, 2014 10:16 PM

Jan 2011
This show really was a dark horse. It turned out to be very good imo. Great episode. Who is going to take up the purple armor? Loved how Leon finally was straight up told he is NOT worthy to be a knight of the people. Alfonso turned out to be an exceptional character.

One more episode? That PV for episode 13 was...odd. Idk what is going to happen.

Second season already in the works so it's all good. Glad to see the story will continue even though they I would of been content if it ended here with a definitive ending written in of course.
Dec 19, 2014 10:24 PM

Jan 2008
Alfonso is totally going to be the "baddie" next season, isn't he? or at least one of them.

That's too bad. I really liked his relationship with Leon & German.
Dec 19, 2014 11:12 PM

Oct 2013
I highly doubt Mendoza died. He's probably gonna pop out of nowhere after, what, five episodes?

I feel so bad for Leon, but I'm pretty sure he'll get his armor back, eventually. You know, 'cause he's the main character and all. What about Alfonso's old armor! D: Who's gonna take care of that!

Wow, that ending is a literal cliffhanger. .-. I have strong feeling Ema is gonna stop him.
Dec 20, 2014 12:15 AM

Oct 2013
1 didnt Alfonzo say he will use his masters sword in his stead and now he ditched it for the golden one

2 Leon he lost his mother for goddamn sake of course he would rage as we all know this happens alot in anime where the bad guy makes the main character go berserk

3 i have a feeling that Leon will get the armour back because of what his grandfather told him awhile back when he got the ring

4 if the studio decides its a good idea to keep switching the swords between the 2 then they are stupid
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2014 1:03 AM

Nov 2009
TheBlckJoker said:
2 Leon he lost his mother for goddamn sake of course he would rage as we all know this happens alot in anime where the bad guy makes the main character go berserk
How Alfonso would fare under the circumstances is a question, of course, but he straight up said that he was fighting not to save his mother but to save his kingdom and all its people, and this is a HUGE difference in the mindset, the one that made him worthy of the Golden armor, unlike Leon who destroyed the town and killed how many hundreds of ppl because of it? Leon messed up big, real big, there's no way around it, and there's no injustice in Alfonso taking the Golden armor. And anyway, if we're talking about the right of inheritance, Alfonso comes before Leon: he's the son of the older daughter of the previous Golden knight, and he's older than Lion, so I see no prob whatsoever. What I want to know is what about the Gaia armor? Can Alfonso now choose which one to don depending on circumstances?
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Dec 20, 2014 1:27 AM

Nov 2012
How the hell is this show so good? And the fact that very few people are watching it and a lot of the ones who are don't even like it that much!

In all seriousness though, absolutely loved this episode. Garo gets how to make compelling, human drama. I thought the series could end with Leon's suicide at the end of the episode, but if he does survive (and let's be honest, he probably will), I'm very interested to see how he gets back up on his feet and earns the right to use Garo again.
Dec 20, 2014 2:15 AM
Aug 2014
I always wondered what would happen if there was only one set of gold armor.

I doubt Mendoza is dead, he did say "I will make my next move" to his assistant. Perhaps hes going to be reborn even stronger.

Leon at the very bottom of despair. He is now a fallen, perhaps he will gain the dark knight armor.
Dec 20, 2014 3:03 AM

Jul 2014
A boring and meh ending for this arc imo. it was totally anti-climatic and i felt nothing from it.
Dec 20, 2014 4:03 AM
Aug 2012
This is my least favorite Garo episode until now.........actually i hate it. It just feels like they threw all of Leon's character development(yes he quite had development unlike many people like to think) out the window to just give Alfonso some spotlight (the previous Knight had to die to give him his Armor for God's sake). This was literally a very dumb and stupid move to pull here............they should have shown Leon overcoming his rage not lose his armor. Not that i hate Alfonso, but the Prince lived in ignorance for most of his life while Leon had to stay hidden and carry around the sorrow and hatred and his playboy father didn't help much.

Dec 20, 2014 4:46 AM

Feb 2014
TheEnd3r said:
I kinda hope Leon becomes a dark knight and murders all the other protagonists. I'd really enjoy seeing that.
Dec 20, 2014 5:02 AM

Dec 2012
that was depressing to watch, but this easily is the most interesting episode so far. this raises a lot of questions and i look forward to next ep
Dec 20, 2014 5:58 AM

Jul 2014
Eh, I don't understand the complaints that Leon's punishment is too cruel - that's how responsibility works, and he messed up really bad: killed many people and destroyed the city. And all that despite the fact that he had been told for all his life that his power is for protection of people. He was warned, he was given time to overcome it, he knew this mission was important, yet he sabotaged it fot the sake of his own complex. Because, let's be real here, he didn't know his mother, his memory of her is an old time trauma, which he cherishes.
In the same time Alfonso sacrificed his mother consciously to save his people. And he had lived with his mother all his life. He doesn't have other close people, as it seems, considering that his father is disabled and manipulated. Also he probably should've had his share of problems at court, because the situation there is not very good.
Dec 20, 2014 6:01 AM

May 2013
That was intense! Leon out of control and ravaging the entire kingdom. His sudden transformation in rage mode was crazy.
Alfonso being the new Golden Knight and Leon relieved of being a Makai Knight. So sad for him. I can see that there's darkness in his heart. I feel bad about Alfonso's mother, the queen. May she always see her son's success.

I highly doubt that Mendoza is dead since real villains only start being truly evil through defeat. I'm also hoping that Leon would become an antagonist since he lost everything in his perspective. That would be so awesome if it did.
Dec 20, 2014 6:18 AM

Jul 2013
what a plot twist :/
i don't really like the idea od leon getting his armor taken, but on the other hand it will be pretty interesting to see how he's going to manage to get back on his feet
good episode

ps. i'm glad al's mom died
Dec 20, 2014 8:00 AM
Dec 2014
This episode made me very anxious. It is remarkable that all these accusations meaningless against Leon were planned, after all we know he is not to blame.
I'm in waiting for a triumphant return of Leon.

Dec 20, 2014 9:09 AM

Sep 2011
that was fantastic, i was not expecting them to take leon down the route of a fallen hero, it honestly looks like leon is going to become the main villain or something with alfonso taking up the main character role. God damn this episode just gave me goosebumps

deadoptimist said:
Eh, I don't understand the complaints that Leon's punishment is too cruel - that's how responsibility works, and he messed up really bad: killed many people and destroyed the city. And all that despite the fact that he had been told for all his life that his power is for protection of people. He was warned, he was given time to overcome it, he knew this mission was important, yet he sabotaged it fot the sake of his own complex. Because, let's be real here, he didn't know his mother, his memory of her is an old time trauma, which he cherishes.
In the same time Alfonso sacrificed his mother consciously to save his people. And he had lived with his mother all his life. He doesn't have other close people, as it seems, considering that his father is disabled and manipulated. Also he probably should've had his share of problems at court, because the situation there is not very good.
yeah seriously how are people not getting this, like even if its understandable why leon would be so emotionally destroyed over this situation the fact of the matter is being the garo means accepting this responsibility and being able to overcome these rage filled emotion, even then theres no getting around the fact that leon's failure to control his emotions has led to the deaths of hundreds if not thousands of innocent lives and untold destruction on a large scale, theres simply no way around this, leon messed up hard and hes going to pay the consequences, that said im calling that he'll be a antagonist from here on out, i feel like mendoza is still alive and he successfully corrupted leon for his scheme.
JizzyHitlerDec 20, 2014 9:13 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 20, 2014 9:14 AM

Aug 2013
Nooooo Leon you can't kill yourself!!! You have to get laid first ;)
Dec 20, 2014 10:40 AM

Aug 2014
Many lifez were taken out for the people of Valiente, but Leon does not deserve suffer that pain about is armor and his mother... poor Leon :( Be strong friend.
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

65 by macabongx »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:02 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2015

204 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 4, 2022 3:50 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2014

169 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 3, 2022 3:40 PM

» 2nd half is a lot better than first

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 16, 2021

2 by Scythe97 »»
Sep 30, 2022 3:52 AM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

89 by Creepyarea »»
Sep 17, 2022 1:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.