Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 4, 2014 8:51 PM

Jun 2007
BRK25 said:
My biggest question that I'm getting is Lisa's place.

If she's not a part of Shibazaki in any heritage, then there must be something going on that we don't know in the works. There's no way they put her in and has no service or use.

Waiting on that cinematography.

She's actually One. At the end there will be a twist and we'll find out this was all a plan from the Japanese government for her to gather the escaped children. Everyone dies at the end and we find out five was carrying nine's baby.
Sep 4, 2014 8:58 PM

Aug 2014
Good episode. It is becoming a bit like Lost, though - barely anything gets revealed, that IT guy didn't even say what the important detail was.

Well, leave it to females to screw up a good friendship. I actually didn't like how Twelve chose Lisa over someone who he's been with for years , but i guess it can't be helped.

4/5.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Sep 4, 2014 8:59 PM

May 2013
The shipping spree is strong in this episode!
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 4, 2014 9:22 PM
Nov 2013
Kurini said:
Ugh, the ugly CG that doesn't fit the animation @00:10:02. I'm nitpicking.

Things are falling apart for Nine and Twelve. Twelve is being reckless. What can he possibly do alone against Five and all the polices. ><

Btw, the full version of the ED is out. :D

Full ED? My life is complete!
Slow episode but looks like shit will go down in the next few episodes now that Five kidnapped Lisa, Shibazaki is discovering the truth and Sphinx are having problems.
Sep 4, 2014 9:23 PM

Dec 2012
When I first heard of this show I thought "Zankyou no Terror" was bad Engrish and meant "Thank you, no terror"

Sep 4, 2014 9:29 PM

Jun 2013
dokidokidoing said:
I hope you don't mind me giving my two cents about the show.

I like Lisa. I've never been part of an abusive household, but I have been bullied several times in the past, and I identify heavily with her desire to please, be useful and to fit in. I'll be the first to admit that that's an overpowering desire that doesn't always make you act rationally. The things I was doing in my early/mid-teens... you'd honestly think I should've known better (heh...). She's a lost kid trying to fit in with other lost kids, but the problem is that these other kids are facing circumstances that are way out of her depth- something that didn't fully hit her until this episode. People say that she doesn't really belong anywhere... I think that's kind of the point.

As for Five... I think her character actually makes sense considering the background we've been given. We know that she, Nine and Twelve were from an institution that essentially robbed them of their identities. Nine and Twelve escaped, but Five didn't, so I'm assuming that she completed whatever conditioning process that the institution offered. Because of that, Five's development and maturity has been messed up. Simply put, she's a unbalanced kid stuck in a more mature woman's body. I'd go out on a limb and say that Nine and Twelve would probably have ended up like her if they hadn't escaped. I think it's interesting to note that she chose to embrace this hollow, childish insanity- Nine implied that she could have escaped from the institution if she wanted to. The following is purely speculation, but maybe it's her way of making up for the loss of her previous identity. The show never struck me as being particularly realistic in the first place, so her character didn't really bother me.

At its core, I think Zankyou no Terror is a story about outcasts trying to connect with each other. As much as I enjoy how the show handles things thematically, and as much as I enjoy the visual storytelling (I think this is one of those shows where the visuals/cinematography/music are as important as the dialogue in helping viewers fill the blanks), it isn't perfect. I think it's obvious that Watanabe wanted the show to be equal parts psychological study/social commentary and action thriller, but he hasn't really succeeded in weaving those elements together. So he chooses to deal with them separately instead. Mind you, I think he deals with each individual topic well enough, but the narrative would have been smoother if he'd somehow meshed the two together. And I think this disjoint in the narrative isn't a recent problem- in my opinion, it was present even in the earlier episodes, though it manifested differently then.

It's definitely refreshing to see your comment amongst comments that more or less all say the same thing about Lisa or Five. I definitely get that characters have been a problem for this show, but the main focus of this show is not necessarily about the characters' development. Some people are so caught up about Lisa doing something stupid or Five acting like a classic villain (what does that even mean?) that they're like "See? there she does it again!" like it matters hugely looking at the series as a whole. The show has so much more to offer than just its weak characters, like the story, great cinematography, beautiful animation, and amazing soundtrack that it doesn't make much sense to rate this show lowly because one (or two) character(s) ruins it for viewers.

Lisa was not supposed to be anyone special. I don't know what people's expectations were, but she wasn't supposed to be some super intelligent hacker or some secretly crazy arson. She's a completely average, softspoken girl that just happened to witness Nine and Twelve during the first bombing. Have you ever considered a scenario in which the protagonist is actually not that special? Put yourself in Lisa's shoes. If you were to be picked up by two skilled terrorists, chances are you'd mess up just like Lisa. Sometimes people are forgetting that we're not watching a shounen anime in which Lisa will develop some hidden ability. She's an outcast in a realistic society that is trying hard to fit in and do something right for a change, but keeps failing miserably. She's practically been doing nothing her whole life, but I guess people expected that she'll suddenly become a crazy good terrorist or develop into some strong, outspoken hero. She shouldn't be bashed on every single week for every single stupid thing she does, but I suggest that people wait to see or at least theorize why she's one of the main protagonists despite her being a VERY unlikely protagonist.

Five's circumstances are not known 100%. But like you said, she probably didn't want to become who she was right now. It's implied that she was experimented on with various drugs, and we see her suffering some withdrawal symptoms as a result of drug addiction or overdose. We get a glimpse of Five's true character this episode for the first time and people still hate her as a "classic villain" because of a couple mean things she said to Lisa. Rather, she only seems evil and psychotic because she is desperately trying to kill Nine and Twelve. We'll have to wait to see what her exact reasons are, but she's certainly suffering. It's like if she doesn't kill Nine and Twelve soon she'll die or experience something along the lines of death. She's been downright evil not caring about who she kills because whatever the consequences are of failing to kill Nine and Twelve is driving Five insane and making her fearful.

Well said on your last paragraph. Watanabe definitely isn't perfect in his execution of this show, and because he was trying to approach the psychological study/social commentary and action thriller together, it's understandable that he'd sacrifice characters to become more like plot devices in order to deliver a story strong enough for a 1-cour.
Sep 4, 2014 9:59 PM

Aug 2013
12 :( I like how he's never going to sacrifice his queen but the death flag...

You know I hate to admit it but ever since Five was introduced, the show just felt...different. Maybe I just don't like her but I just feel like the 'woah- edge of your seat' feeling went down the drain when she got more screen time.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 4, 2014 10:31 PM
Oct 2012
pakoko said:
dokidokidoing said:

I like Lisa. I've never been part of an abusive household, but I have been bullied several times in the past, and I identify heavily with her desire to please, be useful and to fit in. I'll be the first to admit that that's an overpowering desire that doesn't always make you act rationally. The things I was doing in my early/mid-teens... you'd honestly think I should've known better (heh...). She's a lost kid trying to fit in with other lost kids, but the problem is that these other kids are facing circumstances that are way out of her depth- something that didn't fully hit her until this episode. People say that she doesn't really belong anywhere... I think that's kind of the point.

As for Five... I think her character actually makes sense considering the background we've been given. We know that she, Nine and Twelve were from an institution that essentially robbed them of their identities. Nine and Twelve escaped, but Five didn't, so I'm assuming that she completed whatever conditioning process that the institution offered. Because of that, Five's development and maturity has been messed up. Simply put, she's a unbalanced kid stuck in a more mature woman's body. I'd go out on a limb and say that Nine and Twelve would probably have ended up like her if they hadn't escaped. I think it's interesting to note that she chose to embrace this hollow, childish insanity- Nine implied that she could have escaped from the institution if she wanted to. The following is purely speculation, but maybe it's her way of making up for the loss of her previous identity. The show never struck me as being particularly realistic in the first place, so her character didn't really bother me.

At its core, I think Zankyou no Terror is a story about outcasts trying to connect with each other. As much as I enjoy how the show handles things thematically, and as much as I enjoy the visual storytelling (I think this is one of those shows where the visuals/cinematography/music are as important as the dialogue in helping viewers fill the blanks), it isn't perfect. I think it's obvious that Watanabe wanted the show to be equal parts psychological study/social commentary and action thriller, but he hasn't really succeeded in weaving those elements together. So he chooses to deal with them separately instead. Mind you, I think he deals with each individual topic well enough, but the narrative would have been smoother if he'd somehow meshed the two together. And I think this disjoint in the narrative isn't a recent problem- in my opinion, it was present even in the earlier episodes, though it manifested differently then.

It's definitely refreshing to see your comment amongst comments that more or less all say the same thing about Lisa or Five. I definitely get that characters have been a problem for this show, but the main focus of this show is not necessarily about the characters' development. Some people are so caught up about Lisa doing something stupid or Five acting like a classic villain (what does that even mean?) that they're like "See? there she does it again!" like it matters hugely looking at the series as a whole. The show has so much more to offer than just its weak characters, like the story, great cinematography, beautiful animation, and amazing soundtrack that it doesn't make much sense to rate this show lowly because one (or two) character(s) ruins it for viewers.

Lisa was not supposed to be anyone special. I don't know what people's expectations were, but she wasn't supposed to be some super intelligent hacker or some secretly crazy arson. She's a completely average, softspoken girl that just happened to witness Nine and Twelve during the first bombing. Have you ever considered a scenario in which the protagonist is actually not that special? Put yourself in Lisa's shoes. If you were to be picked up by two skilled terrorists, chances are you'd mess up just like Lisa. Sometimes people are forgetting that we're not watching a shounen anime in which Lisa will develop some hidden ability. She's an outcast in a realistic society that is trying hard to fit in and do something right for a change, but keeps failing miserably. She's practically been doing nothing her whole life, but I guess people expected that she'll suddenly become a crazy good terrorist or develop into some strong, outspoken hero. She shouldn't be bashed on every single week for every single stupid thing she does, but I suggest that people wait to see or at least theorize why she's one of the main protagonists despite her being a VERY unlikely protagonist.

Five's circumstances are not known 100%. But like you said, she probably didn't want to become who she was right now. It's implied that she was experimented on with various drugs, and we see her suffering some withdrawal symptoms as a result of drug addiction or overdose. We get a glimpse of Five's true character this episode for the first time and people still hate her as a "classic villain" because of a couple mean things she said to Lisa. Rather, she only seems evil and psychotic because she is desperately trying to kill Nine and Twelve. We'll have to wait to see what her exact reasons are, but she's certainly suffering. It's like if she doesn't kill Nine and Twelve soon she'll die or experience something along the lines of death. She's been downright evil not caring about who she kills because whatever the consequences are of failing to kill Nine and Twelve is driving Five insane and making her fearful.

Well said on your last paragraph. Watanabe definitely isn't perfect in his execution of this show, and because he was trying to approach the psychological study/social commentary and action thriller together, it's understandable that he'd sacrifice characters to become more like plot devices in order to deliver a story strong enough for a 1-cour.

This, all of this. We act like we're watching a realistic show on the levels of Braking Bad or The Wire. At the end of this day, this is an anime, not a fucking realistic show where physics and the such are implemented. Now, they bring a parallel rules and laws to our world but again, at the end of the day, this is an alternate reality to our world and the rules may shift in government rules.

The power Five has in her hands has been shown to be barely repressed and her ruthless actions needs to be toned down, Clarence can't hold the Japanese Police Department by any longer

. I don't hate Lisa, everyone says she's useless and I laugh and asked if they can do the same, they'd fail or blow themselves up by accident. No point in trying to hate a character who's never close to being on the same level as Sphinx and will forever be just a human compared to advanced teenagers. Also, I'd sacrifice the characters to keep a strong plot and direction for a satisfying conclusion. Yet, the thing readers and viewers remember are characters, not the plot but the impact on the character. The name and appearance comes way before what they do. Just a it of two cents here and there.

You know what people complaining on these Lisa and Five remarks reminds me of?

A true story.

Went to Ihop with friends, there was a table next to us, a family ordered their food, they were friendly and all. Things were going well

BUT

The mother ordered a nutella breakfast platter and asked the waiter why said Nutella wasn't on there. When she was told they ran out, she was visibly frustrated and said it herself. When she asked for the manager and was told he wasn't here due to the time the IHOP opened, the whole family left in outright anger.

ALL FOR A CONDIMENT!

I'd understand if it was underocoked or not presentable, no, for a simple thing as a condiment....Didn't even ask to be given compensation, left without a another thought.

Seriously, you can't enjoy the full picture but we must nitpick the smallest things that are wrong. Maybe it's a human thing where we see something close to perfection or amazing and want to drill holes in the logic or flaw and be glad we saw a plot hole than accept what we have.

That's why Baka and Test, the tone handed to be very light, we don't have an issue and are okay with things going crazy.

But here, with the tone, the smallest error must be scrutinize under a microscope and be bigger than what it really is. It's a shame. Cause despite the characters on the weak side, everything else has been phenomenal.
Sep 4, 2014 10:44 PM

Jun 2008
The episode was to built up the plot,
(YAY a fucking cliffhanger!)
but we did find out some interesting stuff.

I can't wait for next week,
and Lisa + Twelve ship practically sails for itself!
I FIND THEM SO CUTE!

Like twelve cares about her that much
that he's leave nine behind for her?

I'd usually say Bros b4 hoes,
but Lisa x Twelve is too awkwardly, oddly cute!

MY FEELS ARE BURSTING!!
I ship things I want! Why? Because it's fun!
I post retarded shit at times, sorry-- my dumbness might infect you!Please be cautious of me!
I don't come with a security label!

My anime list hasn't been updated for a really long time, so it's not accurate!

Sep 5, 2014 1:33 AM

Jun 2011
They didn't disappoint with the airport episodes and I doubt they'll disappoint with the final 3.

I really hope Nine comes around to help Twelve out. That final shot of him seems to point in this direction.
Sep 5, 2014 1:37 AM
Apr 2014
Toaki90 said:
Shibazaki could have 2 daughters you know..

Haha good thought!
Sep 5, 2014 1:44 AM

Jun 2014
Good episode
Sep 5, 2014 2:02 AM

Jul 2014
3 episodes left yet we got a slow episode this week

Although this week's episode is kinda slow, It's very important to the show. Everything seems almost cleared out, about where did Nine, Five, Twelve come from. I wasn't expecting Lisa isn't Shibazaki's daughter. That theory is totally out of the window right now.

I like the way how Sibazaki is playing the one who sniffed everything behind the curtain, that's a real great character we have here. With 3 episodes left and the next episode that would released on 9/11, I am pretty much sure from the release date the creator is going to bring something totally unexpected.. The creator of ZnT is really has a thing for Greek's mythology.

I think the main reason why Nine always said, "We dont have much time" to Twelve and The time five said" having no future" is foreshadowing something. I think when they and five were part of Athena plan, they must be drugged by something which is very dangerous yet the drug could boost their 'gifted' skill.

Sep 5, 2014 5:36 AM

Oct 2009
After this episode I think that five, nine and twelve soon will die...only Lisa will survive.
Sep 5, 2014 5:46 AM

Nov 2013
pakoko said:
dokidokidoing said:

I think the reason for this anime being so good is the amount of subtlety without being too predictable, the right amount of development without resorting to becoming a shaggydog story and just the realism in general. A lot of times, people expect the main character to become really overpowered and such because it acts as wish fulfillment, which is enjoyable but only on the surface level if there isnt enough backstory or character development to back it up. Lisa is the embodiment of humans, a flawed object that will many times fall down, but eventually pick herself up at the right time.
Anime gave me more life lessons than school
Sep 5, 2014 6:22 AM

Apr 2010
When Nine said "Please, don't go"

I just can't, Twelve, how dare you?
Sep 5, 2014 6:49 AM

Sep 2013
Lisa is now a hostage. Baka Lisa.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 5, 2014 7:51 AM

May 2012
08:21 LOL

10:24 melontips!!

6.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Sep 5, 2014 8:21 AM

May 2012
USELESS LISA -_-
Sep 5, 2014 8:24 AM

May 2013
Lisa was a burden from the start. And now she gets kidnapped. Nine carries a lot of stress since Lisa joined and since Five began to move against him. Shibazaki is close in discovering where Nine and Twelve came from. I'm sensing something awesomely surprising next episode.
Sep 5, 2014 9:11 AM
Oct 2013
pakoko said:
Posting something I've said in another thread:

So Lisa ends up leaving and gets caught by Five. Nine and Twelve, more so Twelve, realizes that he can't let Lisa leave him like this, so he chases after her. There are surprisingly a lot of parallel to the play/musical "My Fair Lady."

What did we learn?
1) Rising Peace Academy executed the Athena plan to gather gifted orphans. The contents of the experiments are not known yet, but judging from pharmaceutical companies and other medical companies, children were tested with novel drugs it seems. Seems like they used gifted orphans as lab rats.

2) Lisa is not Shibasaki's daughter. This just puts more of a question to her character besides being a damsel in distress.

3) Five is not fooling around. She is desperate to kill Nine and Twelve for some reason we don't know of yet. The plutonium is definitely going to play a big part in something, we just don't know what yet. When she describes Nine and Twelve as "having no future," I wonder if all the gifted children are running on some kind of time limit?

4) First time Twelve doubts what they're doing is right. Twelve goes to save a girl he basically doesn't know much about rather than sticking with Nine. What's making him so fond of Lisa?

Shibasaki also points out that the term "terrorist" is used too easily nowadays because of all the terrorist attacks we've had. Instead of seeing Sphinx as trying to achieve something greater, people nowadays are blinded by destruction and fear and categorize people who "disturb the peace" immediately as "terrorists."

LOL DA FK LISA YOU DON'T PUT POCKY IN CURRY XD

Note what Twelve said to nine when Nine asked him why hes going to save Lisa, Knowing that its a trap:"I'm going Because i don't have time!"

That Sentence is quite interesting..

Also, That was Pocky? omg Lisa XD.

These show definitely got my interest, easily at my top 3 of the summer!
Cant wait for the next episode to come :D
Sep 5, 2014 9:16 AM

Jun 2013
BRK25 said:

You know what people complaining on these Lisa and Five remarks reminds me of?

A true story.

Went to Ihop with friends, there was a table next to us, a family ordered their food, they were friendly and all. Things were going well

BUT

The mother ordered a nutella breakfast platter and asked the waiter why said Nutella wasn't on there. When she was told they ran out, she was visibly frustrated and said it herself. When she asked for the manager and was told he wasn't here due to the time the IHOP opened, the whole family left in outright anger.

ALL FOR A CONDIMENT!

I'd understand if it was underocoked or not presentable, no, for a simple thing as a condiment....Didn't even ask to be given compensation, left without a another thought.

Seriously, you can't enjoy the full picture but we must nitpick the smallest things that are wrong. Maybe it's a human thing where we see something close to perfection or amazing and want to drill holes in the logic or flaw and be glad we saw a plot hole than accept what we have.

That's why Baka and Test, the tone handed to be very light, we don't have an issue and are okay with things going crazy.

But here, with the tone, the smallest error must be scrutinize under a microscope and be bigger than what it really is. It's a shame. Cause despite the characters on the weak side, everything else has been phenomenal.

Haha a very nice connection between your story and people on ZnT threads. Pretty much sums up how some people make it seem like the development of Lisa or Five is the only thing that's ruining the show for them.
Sep 5, 2014 9:16 AM

May 2013
LISA WAT R U DOIN

Sep 5, 2014 9:18 AM
Jun 2014
Lisa was making dinner when the guy came with the bomb. And when she ran out of the building and met with nine and twelve I couldn't help but think of what she would say when she explains what happened.
Lisa "Well I was trying to make dinner when..."
Nine or Twelve "What sort of food were you trying to make that it would explode like that?!?!?"
Lisa " No no! It was the package not the dinner! A guy came to deliver a package. "
Sep 5, 2014 9:24 AM
Oct 2010
dokidokidoing said:

I think you are misunderstanding some of the criticism of Lisa (actually just my criticism of her, I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying). She's fine as a character for what they are aiming for but fitting into the show she seems out of place. Firstly she doesn't really affect the plot until over half way in, which is pretty strange for a main character and when you do think about how they used her she seems like the Rei (EVA) of this series. She goes from being completely irrelevant to being a pure plot device just like that, with her own personal struggles and past very briefly touched upon and her actions are simply to get the story moving along. The biggest problem for me is when I think about the show without Lisa I feel absolutely nothing would be lost.

dokidokidoing said:

I don't think I agree with you here because if I were to condition a person for military use, the first thing would be to stamp out the child like behavior. Five's overly complicated plans make very little sense to me for someone who is conditioned. Let's use this episode as an example, why would five send the bomb to the building 9, lisa and 12 were in? Wouldn't it have simply made more sense to simply wait for all of them to come back then get them then? Instead she makes it quite aware that she knows Lisa's face for what reason exactly? The whole thing seems pretty forced and over the top. As for realism, the show (at least in the early episodes) tried very hard to explain how things worked (such as the bomb) and went into a fair amount of detail about the plans 9 and 12 came up with. If you didn't think so that's fine, but it seemed like they were going for a much more realistic approach, that's why a lot of people have a problem with 5's over the top character.

dokidokidoing said:

Honestly, other than the details I have issues with, I think the overall biggest problem for this show is that 11 episode count. 13 would have been fantastic and given them time to spread the (possibly) inc info dump over more episodes. As it is right now, Zankyou feels like a show that started in the middle and is now approaching the end, since other than small flashbacks with no context (we don't even know what they were being conditioned for, they only mentioned that they were being "educated" whatever that means). I don't know if they will wrap it up well enough but I am not going to pretend to be shocked if they don't.
Sep 5, 2014 10:07 AM

Jun 2013
skudoops said:

I think you are misunderstanding some of the criticism of Lisa (actually just my criticism of her, I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying). She's fine as a character for what they are aiming for but fitting into the show she seems out of place. Firstly she doesn't really affect the plot until over half way in, which is pretty strange for a main character and when you do think about how they used her she seems like the Rei (EVA) of this series. She goes from being completely irrelevant to being a pure plot device just like that, with her own personal struggles and past very briefly touched upon and her actions are simply to get the story moving along. The biggest problem for me is when I think about the show without Lisa I feel absolutely nothing would be lost.

I agree with Lisa not contributing much to the show and to the whole story. I do believe that Watanabe included her for a reason, however, so I'm sure we'll find out soon enough if she actually has a role to play or become a plot device that achieves a certain end.

skudoops said:

I don't think I agree with you here because if I were to condition a person for military use, the first thing would be to stamp out the child like behavior. Five's overly complicated plans make very little sense to me for someone who is conditioned. Let's use this episode as an example, why would five send the bomb to the building 9, lisa and 12 were in? Wouldn't it have simply made more sense to simply wait for all of them to come back then get them then? Instead she makes it quite aware that she knows Lisa's face for what reason exactly? The whole thing seems pretty forced and over the top. As for realism, the show (at least in the early episodes) tried very hard to explain how things worked (such as the bomb) and went into a fair amount of detail about the plans 9 and 12 came up with. If you didn't think so that's fine, but it seemed like they were going for a much more realistic approach, that's why a lot of people have a problem with 5's over the top character.

We get a glimpse of Five's reason for her over-the-top madness. Clarence comes in after she's delivered the bomb to Lisa telling her to stop fooling around. Clarence also says that he can only hold off the Japanese government for a bit more, meaning that the Japanese government does care about this whole fiasco but someone or something (Rising Peace Academy) is pulling the strings giving Five all the power she needs to kill Nine and Twelve at whatever cost. But then we see a scene in which Five seems to be in pain while grabbing her head. Then she says she's not "fooling around." That tells me that she is going over-the-top for a reason. We don't know what that reason is, but I'm speculating that she has to kill Nine and Twelve no matter what, and if she doesn't she'll face severe consequences. You can see in this episode that she seems to have a reason to being evil and psychotic, rather than her being just an irrational killer. Her bomb drop off was to show how desperate she was in killing Nine and Twelve. She's taking away their hideouts one by one to relay the message that she's not fooling around and also that she doesn't have much time.

I get that her airport bombing was unnecessarily complicated but without Shibasaki's help, Five would legitimately have succeeded in killing Lisa and thwarting Nine and Twelve's plans to catch the attention of the police without harming civilians. Five's plan only seemed unnecessarily complex because she failed. Otherwise, she was playing Nine and Twelve right into her trap. But even she could not foresee that the Japanese police would turn against her, because all Japanese cops were to be on standby.

tl;dr Not trying to argue here, but I'm just saying Five's over-the-top personality has a reason and she clearly shows that this episode. We have to wait for the exact reason why she's so desperate on killing Nine and Twelve to the point of killing innocent lives, but the focus shouldn't be on how much "sense" her plans make because obviously it's not going to make sense if you're not Five and if you're not the scriptwriter for ZnT.
Sep 5, 2014 10:16 AM

Mar 2009
Such a disappointing show. I expected so much more.

And Five is a terrible antagonist, despite my love for Megumi Han.
Sep 5, 2014 10:32 AM
Oct 2012
I don't think I agree with you here because if I were to condition a person for military use, the first thing would be to stamp out the child like behavior. Five's overly complicated plans make very little sense to me for someone who is conditioned. Let's use this episode as an example, why would five send the bomb to the building 9, lisa and 12 were in? Wouldn't it have simply made more sense to simply wait for all of them to come back then get them then? Instead she makes it quite aware that she knows Lisa's face for what reason exactly? The whole thing seems pretty forced and over the top. As for realism, the show (at least in the early episodes) tried very hard to explain how things worked (such as the bomb) and went into a fair amount of detail about the plans 9 and 12 came up with. If you didn't think so that's fine, but it seemed like they were going for a much more realistic approach, that's why a lot of people have a problem with 5's over the top

I'm pretty sure it isn't to have them die. Only to ruin their hideout and create tension. She knows Lisa's face but the key part is that she bombed the place to rat them out and she must be sure that Lisa's acting nothing more than a nuisance. She assumed that Lisa would run away to make herself feel less of a burden and when she caught her on camera, it was a wrap.

One thing that made me felt more connected was Lisa not running away elsewhere, but she returned to the point of time where her and Twelve met in episode four and was 'saved' at that point. IT only screams her lack of belonging everywhere. She wished she can be of some use. To anyone for that matter.
Sep 5, 2014 10:45 AM

Jan 2014
Feels so forced and pretentious

Firstly how the hell five knows that these 2 would save Risa so that keeps her card? How the hell that these 2 and Risa dont even realised what is missing?

5 is overrated i cant see anything so special about her at all, beside being so forced, why the heck she can figured out Risa and 12-9 current location from Risa's card?

And why did Risa have to be a plot device, she deserve better than that, she looks so promising,

Anything started out so good but it getting worse, i think this series should be around 15 or 20 eps, so it isnt rushed and forced.
Sep 5, 2014 11:15 AM

Jul 2012
Please have a season 2 or sequel movie. You need it!

Anyway, things are finally falling into place and Nine and Twelve have to act up and think of the consequences because they're trapped now. This show gives me Mawaru Penguindrum vibes more than just Death Note because of the
Sep 5, 2014 11:15 AM

Dec 2013
If five had lisa's/9/12's address,why didn't she arrest them already?What's the point of the bomb?To think that there are multiple cameras tracking lisa,why aren't there any on 9/12?What's the point of this game?This show is getting more and more illogical.Though i must admit i do enjoy Shibazaki scenes.
Sep 5, 2014 11:18 AM

Jul 2012
^ I think she wants to kill them directly or play some sort of game with them.
Sep 5, 2014 11:20 AM
Oct 2013
katsuhan said:
Feels so forced and pretentious

Firstly how the hell five knows that these 2 would save Risa so that keeps her card? How the hell that these 2 and Risa dont even realised what is missing?

5 is overrated i cant see anything so special about her at all, beside being so forced, why the heck she can figured out Risa and 12-9 current location from Risa's card?

And why did Risa have to be a plot device, she deserve better than that, she looks so promising,

Anything started out so good but it getting worse, i think this series should be around 15 or 20 eps, so it isnt rushed and forced.

You sir, are Amazingly Dumb, i wont even start to explain.

mayukachan said:
Please have a season 2 or sequel movie. You need it!

Anyway, things are finally falling into place and Nine and Twelve have to act up and think of the consequences because they're trapped now. This show gives me Mawaru Penguindrum vibes more than just Death Note because of the

Yep, having a season 2 or maybe even a remake with more episodes would be great!
Verdure said:
If five had lisa's/9/12's address,why didn't she arrest them already?What's the point of the bomb?To think that there are multiple cameras tracking lisa,why aren't there any on 9/12?What's the point of this game?This show is getting more and more illogical.Though i must admit i do enjoy Shibazaki scenes.

Shall wait to see five's goal...
Sep 5, 2014 11:21 AM

Jul 2013
this episode was predictable. the events i didn't want happening in this type of show ended up occurring.

lisa ended up pulling an idiotic move and now 9 and 12 are going to have to face the consequences because lisa decided not to use her brain.

also, how do the police not know that 9 and 12's hideout was bombed? shouldn't they investigate that bombing?

12 picked a girl he hardly even knew and who was more of a nuisance than an asset over 9. i bet that gutted 9
orchidorkSep 5, 2014 11:27 AM
Sep 5, 2014 11:29 AM

Aug 2009
BRK25 said:
I don't think I agree with you here because if I were to condition a person for military use, the first thing would be to stamp out the child like behavior. Five's overly complicated plans make very little sense to me for someone who is conditioned. Let's use this episode as an example, why would five send the bomb to the building 9, lisa and 12 were in? Wouldn't it have simply made more sense to simply wait for all of them to come back then get them then? Instead she makes it quite aware that she knows Lisa's face for what reason exactly? The whole thing seems pretty forced and over the top. As for realism, the show (at least in the early episodes) tried very hard to explain how things worked (such as the bomb) and went into a fair amount of detail about the plans 9 and 12 came up with. If you didn't think so that's fine, but it seemed like they were going for a much more realistic approach, that's why a lot of people have a problem with 5's over the top

There ARE mentally unstable people in the military though - some of them have been in the jail even, it's not uncommon. Maybe not so high in power as Five, but... still. I agree that she is a little over the top though, but I don't think it ruins the show as much as some people make it to be - it's still one of the better shows this season imo. It certainly must be disappointing for people who were expecting a realistic approach through the whole anime, but I think it's still very good anyway.
Sep 5, 2014 11:59 AM

Jun 2014
This anime is lucky it isn't longer or it would've been dropped by now.
It's actually quite a feat to absolutely ruin something with such a good start.
ChabeSep 5, 2014 12:22 PM
Sep 5, 2014 12:06 PM

Jan 2014
I enjoy watching this anime, no matter what happens. It has great animation quality to it, interesting characters and is somewhat close enough to reality to relate to. I don't feel like mentioning anything from this episode, because it was slow paced and not much happened but when that is said, it still felt incredibly short and i can't wait to see more!

This might be one of those anime's i just need physically.
Sep 5, 2014 12:22 PM
Oct 2012
orchidork said:
this episode was predictable. the events i didn't want happening in this type of show ended up occurring.

lisa ended up pulling an idiotic move and now 9 and 12 are going to have to face the consequences because lisa decided not to use her brain.

also, how do the police not know that 9 and 12's hideout was bombed? shouldn't they investigate that bombing?

12 picked a girl he hardly even knew and who was more of a nuisance than an asset over 9. i bet that gutted 9

Go to the first episode. Twelve was doing things his way and was only with Nine cause they were friends. He's joking and following Nine's orders, that's all.

Episode three. Hey Nine what are YOU going to do if they don't find this bomb?

Episode Five: YOU seem to be putting a lot of trust into this detective.

Never did he say we, or what should we do, it was based on Nine's objectives.

Not we, YOU. He's never been to involved with the plan, they're friends but Nine has a solid objective, Twelve was there for the ride and he wants to live a normal life from the looks of it. If anything, Nine wants the bomb to go off and get people on the plan but Twelve's an assistant.

That's why I can understand, he's second guessing after witnessing Lisa nearly dying, he saw first hand the fear and danger going on.

fanshii said:
BRK25 said:

There ARE mentally unstable people in the military though - some of them have been in the jail even, it's not uncommon. Maybe not so high in power as Five, but... still. I agree that she is a little over the top though, but I don't think it ruins the show as much as some people make it to be - it's still one of the better shows this season imo. It certainly must be disappointing for people who were expecting a realistic approach through the whole anime, but I think it's still very good anyway.

I'd like to note I wrongfully quoted but I did answer the original quoter's questions but people love to complain than think for themselves and see the clues in context.
Sep 5, 2014 12:29 PM
Oct 2010
pakoko said:

tl;dr Not trying to argue here, but I'm just saying Five's over-the-top personality has a reason and she clearly shows that this episode. We have to wait for the exact reason why she's so desperate on killing Nine and Twelve to the point of killing innocent lives, but the focus shouldn't be on how much "sense" her plans make because obviously it's not going to make sense if you're not Five and if you're not the scriptwriter for ZnT.

Well, I do hope they clear up the reasons for her behaviour, there should be an info dump coming soon so that may or may not clear everything up. That's why I said this show feels like I'm watching it from the middle going on to the end, there's a lot of critical information missing that would help understand the characters a bit more.

For instance I personally I think 12's eagerness to help Lisa is due to guilt he feels from leaving 5 behind. Now that's a stretch, but given what we know of their past it doesn't seem all that unlikely, however only 9 has been shown to get troubled by the event, so my theory loses credibility that 12 is helping Lisa because he doesn't want to leave another friend behind. However the experience they went through is probably the same reason 9 didn't want to deal with Lisa in the first place because they showed how much it affected him.

TLDR: They just need to fill in the blanks for me to understand 5.
Sep 5, 2014 1:08 PM

Mar 2009
Slow boring episode, lisa's dumb, her character was ok before running away and joining 9 & 12.

Now she's putting poky in her dinner and accepting an anonymous package sent to her by name in her secret hide out. After all she's been though, you'd think she'd be more cautious.

The show started out so well, it went downhill with the introduction of 5 & lisa going full retard. The final show down has to be amazing to get me to like the show again. >_>

Lulu ❤ | My MALoween Candy
Sep 5, 2014 1:33 PM

Jun 2013
skudoops said:

Well, I do hope they clear up the reasons for her behaviour, there should be an info dump coming soon so that may or may not clear everything up. That's why I said this show feels like I'm watching it from the middle going on to the end, there's a lot of critical information missing that would help understand the characters a bit more.

For instance I personally I think 12's eagerness to help Lisa is due to guilt he feels from leaving 5 behind. Now that's a stretch, but given what we know of their past it doesn't seem all that unlikely, however only 9 has been shown to get troubled by the event, so my theory loses credibility that 12 is helping Lisa because he doesn't want to leave another friend behind. However the experience they went through is probably the same reason 9 didn't want to deal with Lisa in the first place because they showed how much it affected him.

TLDR: They just need to fill in the blanks for me to understand 5.

Yeah I've had a discussion with someone else about this problem and I think Watanabe is holding too much out on us on the necessary background information, especially on characters. My wish is the same regarding info about 5.

However, it definitely has been awhile since I've had to dissect a show in order to figure everything out myself so I rate this show highly for how it deals with exposition. I wouldn't be surprised if the characters don't get attention because everything else has pretty much been excellent. And since I have such low expectations for the characters, every little hint of development they get makes the show better.

I think so too. Both 9 and 12 won't abandon Lisa because of their guilt of abandoning 5 at the facility. A random thought that crossed my head was why we only have 5, 9, and 12. My theory is that 5, 9, and 12 were the only ones who were able to escape the explosion of the facility for gifted children while the rest died. Although 9 and 12 managed to escape, 5 was left behind and possibly recaptured by researchers and scientists. Afterwards, 5 had to bear all the experiments by herself, and she slowly started to become mentally unstable. Maybe that's why she has such a big grudge on 9 and 12. Lol just a random thought, though.
Sep 5, 2014 1:48 PM

Apr 2013
I feel like Twelve's attachment to Lisa is quite weird, as it's not like they had that much time to bond.
Apart from that, the episode was decent, Shibazaki slowly finding out the truth about the Athena plan was probably the most interesting part. Also, Five finding Lisa as soon as she left was too convenient and an example of lazy writing in my opinion, because unless the Tokyo in Zankyou no Terror is as big as my room it shouldn't be that easy to find a person.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Sep 5, 2014 2:07 PM
Oct 2012
geralt said:
I feel like Twelve's attachment to Lisa is quite weird, as it's not like they had that much time to bond.
Apart from that, the episode was decent, Shibazaki slowly finding out the truth about the Athena plan was probably the most interesting part. Also, Five finding Lisa as soon as she left was too convenient and an example of lazy writing in my opinion, because unless the Tokyo in Zankyou no Terror is as big as my room it shouldn't be that easy to find a person.

Did you not see the cameras she had stationed in the earlier parts of the episode? She was waiting and ready to find her running away, certain that her actions would result in it. The second she stepped outside, it was gonna happen. Any question I have with logic or reasoning was placed there in the show, when it comes to future events, that's different, but this was fine to me.
Sep 5, 2014 2:37 PM

Mar 2014
ChibiEmmyChan said:
Lisa was making dinner when the guy came with the bomb. And when she ran out of the building and met with nine and twelve I couldn't help but think of what she would say when she explains what happened.
Lisa "Well I was trying to make dinner when..."
Nine or Twelve "What sort of food were you trying to make that it would explode like that?!?!?"
Lisa " No no! It was the package not the dinner! A guy came to deliver a package. "

HAHAHA Best. Thing. Ever!

But seriously, I don't get all the Lisa haters. She's more human than a lot of characters out there because she has flaws and mistakes. I think she compliments the story, giving it a more realistic tone. That's better than a bunch of fake characters, to me. However, I do hope that she's able to prove herself in later episodes.

On another note, I believe that Twelve and Nine are running low on time in the sense that they have a shorter lifespan than most because of something to do with the institution. Just please,please, please, don't kill off mah babies!!! >^<
Sep 5, 2014 3:50 PM

Sep 2014
What is the name of the song that plays right after the OP in this episode?
I don't consider myself a good judge.

trying not to be an obnoxious otaku
Sep 5, 2014 4:12 PM

Jun 2013
Darstorm-Sandude said:
What is the name of the song that plays right after the OP in this episode?

No, please mercy. I never thought this would spread to MAL too.
Sep 5, 2014 4:16 PM
Oct 2012
pakoko said:
Yeah I've had a discussion with someone else about this problem and I think Watanabe is holding too much out on us on the necessary background information

The problem with your problem is that it is a sign of a poorly thought out plot that replaces story with style (in this case Watanabe's signature ear for music). He isn't "holding" out on the background information, we already know who Lisa will end up being the daughter of (and her relationship with the police officer (and yes he will die)), its just that since there is no real story there is no need to go into any more depth about them.

There has been 4 writers in only 8 episodes. This explains why the story is so disjointed, it is more a relay novel than an actual coherent story. Which is why in the first couple of episodes we see the MC's as hard core terrorists who will blow up a 60 story building and steal plutonium, but in subsequent episodes have transformed themselves into pacifists who wouldn't hurt a fly and are seeking to "save" Lisa (12 in paricular has transformed without a single explanation at to why).

Too many cooks spoil the broth, and too many writers for an original work (as opposed to basing it on an external source) takes great beginnings and turn them into crud. Suisei no Gargantia, Galilei Donna, K, all had multiple writers and all ended up being horrific despite intriguing beginnings.

Zankyou is unraveling as those other shows did, and I unfortunately have no hope that they will be able to salvage what had been a brilliant start. Good animation and music will rescue it for some fans, but it will be for those reasons, not the story.

That said, would love to be proven wrong, but I would rather go in with NO expectations, than to go in and have my hopes crushed.
Sep 5, 2014 5:10 PM

Aug 2013
Yep, I'm considering dropping the score from 8 to a 7 if it continues like this. So disappointing considering I started with a 10/10 1st episode and then a solid 9 and now since Five was introduced this show is getting ruined.

I don't get Twelve's attachment to Lisa. Lisa is a plot device in herself. It's already episode 8 and we know next to nothing about Nine and Twelve's past and by the time they reveal it I just won't even care any more.

So disappointing, this series feels so... disjointed. I'm not feeling the intensity at all :(
ittou_shuraSep 6, 2014 7:16 AM
Sep 5, 2014 5:13 PM

Jun 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
pakoko said:
Yeah I've had a discussion with someone else about this problem and I think Watanabe is holding too much out on us on the necessary background information

The problem with your problem is that it is a sign of a poorly thought out plot that replaces story with style (in this case Watanabe's signature ear for music). He isn't "holding" out on the background information, we already know who Lisa will end up being the daughter of (and her relationship with the police officer (and yes he will die)), its just that since there is no real story there is no need to go into any more depth about them.

There has been 4 writers in only 8 episodes. This explains why the story is so disjointed, it is more a relay novel than an actual coherent story. Which is why in the first couple of episodes we see the MC's as hard core terrorists who will blow up a 60 story building and steal plutonium, but in subsequent episodes have transformed themselves into pacifists who wouldn't hurt a fly and are seeking to "save" Lisa (12 in paricular has transformed without a single explanation at to why).

Too many cooks spoil the broth, and too many writers for an original work (as opposed to basing it on an external source) takes great beginnings and turn them into crud. Suisei no Gargantia, Galilei Donna, K, all had multiple writers and all ended up being horrific despite intriguing beginnings.

Zankyou is unraveling as those other shows did, and I unfortunately have no hope that they will be able to salvage what had been a brilliant start. Good animation and music will rescue it for some fans, but it will be for those reasons, not the story.

That said, would love to be proven wrong, but I would rather go in with NO expectations, than to go in and have my hopes crushed.

I would have better appreciated if you read through my other posts earlier in this thread, because that quote doesn't reflect at all my real opinion of the show. He is holding out on background information, especially of 5, 9, and 12. I had a discussion about this and although I didn't think much of it, the person I was talking to made a good point that he doesn't know who to support because Watanabe is leaving all the background information until later. I already know Lisa's story and Shibasaki's story, but too much background info about where 5, 9, and 12 are from exactly, what experiments were done to them, why 9 and 12 stole the plutonium and why 5 is desperately trying to stop them are all not clear. Nowhere in the anime thus far will you find correct answers for questions regarding 5, 9, and 12's background, because Watanabe's leaving all that until the end. And is this a huge problem? Not for me, but I agree that it wouldn't hurt if the show provided a little more background info of 5, 9, and 12.

I'd love to discuss why you think the story is so disjointed. I guess I don't expect an essay but I'd appreciate where you saw the disjoint, because this story doesn't fall apart as badly as Galilei Donna or Suisei Gargantia, especially when we still have 3 episodes to go. When has the story reached an unsalvageable point? I can't point out what is flawed in your statement if I don't have anything to work with.

To address your point about MC's going from hard core terrorists to pacifists:
1) That's dealing with characters and has nothing to do with how the story is disjointed. Blame the characters, not the story.
2) They were pacifists from the start. Their plan was to destroy the buildings owned by the members of the Rising Peace Academy, but they ALWAYS made sure everyone was evacuated and safe. They bombed several buildings because they wanted to catch the attention of someone like Shibasaki, who eventually did figure out the connection between the bombings and the Rising Peace Academy. Shibasaki has a previous record of getting relegated after going too deeply into a case of a suicide of a Diet member, but it's awesome to see him now back up and continuing what he started even before he was relegated (the suicide of the Diet member is connected to the Rising Peace Academy). Nine and Twelve's goals, however, were put to a halt when Five came into play because Nine and Twelve weren't expecting Five to interrupt them. That's why you see them trying to not hurt anyone because Five is utilizing the pacifistic side of Nine and Twelve against them.
3) They want to save Lisa for reasons unknown. If I had to guess, it is related to the guilt that Nine and Twelve both felt for leaving someone behind in the facility, as can be figured out from Nine's nightmares. It's more of an unconscious and instinctive act in response to the trauma they faced of not being able to save their friend from the facility.

The story has been consistent thus far and even if the show doesn't say anything outright, it leaves PLENTY of hints for you to deduce everything about the show.
Sep 5, 2014 6:09 PM
Jun 2013
Verdure said:
If five had lisa's/9/12's address,why didn't she arrest them already?What's the point of the bomb?

You really have to wonder. Five had to have known Nine and Twelve weren't home since they'd immediately know that there was something wrong. They didn't know that Five knew where they lived, why didn't she just wait until they arrived and secured the exits?

Five clearly doesn't want to kill Nine or Twelve. But she could have at least captured them.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

880 by alippskuy »»
Yesterday, 10:37 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

417 by Harvestor »»
Sep 2, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

379 by Harvestor »»
Sep 2, 11:39 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

349 by Ryshock »»
Aug 27, 1:01 PM

» Can i watch this with my dad?

sangonomiya_k - Jul 18

31 by anne146 »»
Aug 9, 7:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.