New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 20, 2014 8:25 AM

Feb 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
romagia said:
i certainly cant name any mainstream (in japan tv ratings) anime from 2000-2010
And that matters because....?
there are more definitions for "good", and i can't name any anime that was "good (= mainstream = high tv ratings)" from that time so perhaps im one of the "crazy elitists" he's talking about
Jun 20, 2014 8:26 AM

Dec 2012
I don't know how else to describe otaku pandering late night shlock other than to say it's shit. The 21st century robbed Japan of its quality artists because there hasn't been a single good thing since the 90s.
Jun 20, 2014 8:34 AM

Feb 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
romagia said:
there are more definitions for "good", and i can't name any anime that was "good (= mainstream = high tv ratings)" from that time so perhaps im one of the "crazy elitists" he's talking about
Nobody relevant uses the word "good" as an evaluation of a work's financial success.
since OP was too afraid to give actual examples, we can use every (correct) definition of the word "good"
it's FGAU's right to give alternate interpretations to OP's post, and he's certainly not wrong, no matter how irrelevant you may consider his interpretation of the word "good"
for all i know, it might make even more sense in japanese
Jun 20, 2014 8:50 AM

Feb 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
romagia said:
since OP was too afraid to give actual examples, we can use every (correct) definition of the word "good"
Except it's not correct. I don't understand how people ever get the impression that how good something is is affected by its financial success, but it's beyond me. Again, saying that you're using the correct definition is playing pointless semantics and everybody knows it.
it sold good / it had good sales / good tv ratings => its good
it sold like shit / it had shit sales / shit tv ratings => its shit
it might make more sense in other languages, but its correct in english too

it's FGAU's right to give alternate interpretations to OP's post, and he's certainly not wrong, no matter how irrelevant you may consider his interpretation of the word "good"
Yeah, it's wrong. I don't know why we're debating the "interpretation" of the OP. There isn't any interpretation and thinking otherwise is, again, playing silly semantics arguments that I'm not even going to get into because of how pointless it is.
but you started, by claiming FGAU's post had nothing to do "with the artistic or entertainment quality of the works in question", despite the OP leaving things ambiguous

It is 100% obvious what he is talking about and it makes no sense to make this a business argument when the OP's subsequent posts completely line up with this thread being about people who think there haven't been any good anime since 2000.
each and every of OP's posts are very crude, and leave a lot of room for interpretation; FGAU is not wrong because he is not following your definition of 'good', and his response even fits the OP's question, because of how ambiguous it is
Jun 20, 2014 8:58 AM
Mar 2011
romagia said:
Zergneedsfood said:
Okay, but clearly the topic is talking about how not all new anime is shit from an entertainment perspective and not as a function of sales or revenue. Your argument is hence irrelevant to the topic at hand.
OP just said 'not all new anime is shit'
a possible interpretation would be shit as in commercial failure/glorified OVAs/relies only on BD sales and merchandise, etc and perhaps OP was talking about stuff like Danchi Tomo, the new Precure, Yokai Watch, DBZ Kai, Kindaichi ...

since OP didnt give any examples, every possible interpretation is fair game

i tagged in late here so i nverraed the op lol

im shocked you cannot name one mainstream anime just think

i call maintraem top 15 tv ratings

key word what make more profits is better [ something can make more raw cash [ ir gross] but not over all post tax profit

DateYutakaJun 20, 2014 9:02 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 20, 2014 9:00 AM

Feb 2013
FGAU1912 said:
romagia said:
OP just said 'not all new anime is shit'
a possible interpretation would be shit as in commercial failure/glorified OVAs/relies only on BD sales and merchandise, etc and perhaps OP was talking about stuff like Danchi Tomo, the new Precure, Yokai Watch, DBZ Kai, Kindaichi ...

since OP didnt give any examples, every possible interpretation is fair game

n-naruto?
Jun 20, 2014 9:17 AM
Mar 2011
romagia said:
FGAU1912 said:

n-naruto?

Peaked at 9 lol
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jun 20, 2014 9:18 AM

Jan 2013
I wouldnt say they are actually
Maybe not original, with a lot "ecchi" based anime.
But there are a few newer anime that have that something special.

Just like Kill la Kill what I am watching atm, I havent felt such an intense always action based anime so far, and I'm loving it.
Jun 20, 2014 9:22 AM
Mar 2011
Zergneedsfood said:
I just want to reiterate, now that I don't want to talk about stupid semantics anymore, that a lot modern anime is by far technically superior to old anime. That is something that's pretty much impossible to deny.

read my ratings system alot of modern anime is not good

"technically superior" you cannot really tell beacuse of the lack of modern anime art detail

Jun 20, 2014 9:23 AM

Nov 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
I just want to reiterate, now that I don't want to talk about stupid semantics anymore, that a lot modern anime is by far technically superior to old anime. That is something that's pretty much impossible to deny.

Various things from animation, sound editing, voice, etc. etc. are just objectively better now that the medium has gotten more modern and advanced.
Inb4 stories are unoriginal crap and characters are self insert otaku pandering cliches argument.

Edit: Never mind, dat edit :p
BotatoJun 20, 2014 9:29 AM
Jun 20, 2014 9:35 AM
Mar 2011
Zergneedsfood said:
FGAU1912 said:
read my ratings system alot of modern anime is not good
I've read it at least five times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or on drugs.

"technically superior" you cannot really tell beacuse of the lack of modern anime art detail
Disagree completely.

Sound editing is 100% better than it used to be simply by nature of more professional software and the evolution of the medium (see Lain versus Texhnolyze as a base example).

Soundtracks are undoubtedly of higher technical quality than they used to be, especially since the sound quality of instruments and professional software is much better, not to mention the amount of talented instrumentalists in this modern age is greater than it was before.

As far as aesthetics are concerned, you get higher FPS, higher resolutions, a much clearer color pallet, and depending on what you watch, far more fluid animation and art detail (see Shinkai).

Also, lack of "detail" isn't a matter of technicalities (see Bakemonogatari where minimalistic backgrounds composed of a lot of sharp shapes and solid colors was clearly a style choice). If you compare similar genre anime (since it'd be stupid to compare set pieces in Ergo Proxy and then some random slice of life school show), I guarantee level of detail has either improved or stayed the same. This also doesn't include the fact that various TV anime over the last few years have been fine (see Aku no Hana and its set pieces) as far as modern art detail is concerned.

Again, one may have preferences, but you can't deny that many modern anime have straight up better technical production values than its older counterparts (see Madoka/shaft).

Botato said:
Inb4 stories are unoriginal crap and characters are self insert otaku pandering cliches argument.
I mean...that's what they'll always say. I won't admit there's a lot of that, but there are a lot of good things about modern anime.

sound tracks are not better because the lack of true anison thus causing all Japanese artists wo hav done one song for anime are called anime singers thus not true

Jun 20, 2014 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
I have yet to find any anime that can be labeled with that word, new or otherwise.
Jun 20, 2014 9:52 AM

Nov 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
I mean...that's what they'll always say. I won't admit there's a lot of that, but there are a lot of good things about modern anime.
Well I agree. But just felt like saying it because it's the most used argument nowadays.
Anyway, have fun with the rest of the thread *_*
Jun 20, 2014 9:54 AM
Mar 2011
Zergneedsfood said:
FGAU1912 said:
sound tracks are not better because the lack of true anison thus causing all Japanese artists wo hav done one song for anime are called anime singers thus not true
Can you clarify what you said? I don't understand what you just wrote.

I did not say that soundtracks from a quality of music perspective, though that argument could also be made.

I'm saying the quality of sound is better.

go to any top 10 anime songs on you tube to see what i mean

a song used in anime is not an anime song right

an anime song is a song written for the anime

that is why i think mondern anime sound is good cuase lack of good proper anison openings[ yes i like alot of artiats] but there not anison sngers

Jun 20, 2014 10:01 AM

Feb 2010
Zergneedsfood said:
Okay, I legitimately can't decipher what an anison is so I'm just going to wait until someone explains what he means by that.

Also I'm not referring to "anime songs" as in OPs. I'm talking about actual soundtracks. BGMs

It's as he said, songs specifically written about a certain series. Not just a regular single used as an OP.

For example the Cobra OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWnCWjVzNsE

Or the Marco OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZf7aoayjF0

basically songs that refer to the contents of the anime in their lyrics.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 20, 2014 10:13 AM

Aug 2013
Most of the new Stuff is shit though
Jun 20, 2014 10:32 AM

Aug 2013
It is though. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy it, I personally like watching bad stuff, makes everything seems better. I mean Devil Mat Cry 2 was bad in comparison to the others, but after playing 3 your feeling of satisfaction goes up ten fold!
"How you gona get up if you ain't never get down" - James Brown
Jun 20, 2014 1:04 PM

Mar 2012
For me the title of OP is ambiguous...
I can find 99% of new shits and still be agreeing with him.

So most of the new animes are shit!! Only some exceptions might swim upstream.
Jun 20, 2014 1:11 PM
Mar 2011
Zergneedsfood said:
Thanks.

Okay that has nothing to do with the argument I'm making so I'll just ignore it I guess. Same logic as above applies anyway.

it does apply

Jun 20, 2014 1:18 PM

Jun 2010
Not all new anime is shit just most of it is
SolidPayneJun 20, 2014 1:40 PM
Jun 20, 2014 2:34 PM

Jan 2014
I believe there are many new good animes that come out every season. I also believe there are a whole load of shit ones too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpejQ1I7Z0
^^^This is all of you people t(^-^t)
Jun 20, 2014 2:57 PM

Nov 2012
It's all opinion based what does it matter whether or not others like new anime.
Jun 20, 2014 2:59 PM

Sep 2011
its identical to how it ever was and ever will be. Mixed with some gems and alot of turds you shift through the find those gems. All the "problems" that plague the industry like pandering are all shared with older generations and will never change. Its identical.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 20, 2014 4:02 PM

Dec 2012
Thread cleaned (again). Spam/off topic posts removed.
HeddieJun 20, 2014 4:05 PM
Jun 20, 2014 4:08 PM
Mar 2011
Zergneedsfood said:
FGAU1912 said:
it does apply
Explain how then. My argument was not about music, it was about quality of sound. Please explain how anything you said relates to that.

sound is linked to music and quitly is full of personal bais

Jun 20, 2014 4:45 PM
Jan 2013
That is true, not all new anime are as bad as Date A Live II.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2014 5:13 PM

Feb 2010
Zergneedsfood said:
FGAU1912 said:
No it's not. Technical quality of sound is 100% not full of personal bias.

Explain to me how a Horowitz recording is not of lesser sound quality (not music quality) than studio recordings today.

I just wonder if it is actually relevant for the enjoyment if the sound quality is higher. I know it isn't for me, lower sound quality even has some specific charm to it :>.
Jun 20, 2014 5:15 PM

Dec 2012
Not all old anime is shit either, go figure.

Seriously though, a good story is a good story, doesn't matter when it was made.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jun 20, 2014 5:17 PM

Nov 2010
Zergneedsfood said:
FGAU1912 said:
No it's not. Technical quality of sound is 100% not full of personal bias.

Explain to me how a Horowitz recording is not of lesser sound quality (not music quality) than studio recordings today.
When it pertains to art it kind of is. What is better with a painting, super realistic art, or splattering?
Jun 20, 2014 5:19 PM

Aug 2013
Well you kinda need to define new first. If new is post 2010 I would say I well most are shit, but we have good ones out there, like maybe Psycho-Pass?
Jun 20, 2014 5:29 PM

Oct 2013
JizzyHitler said:
its identical to how it ever was and ever will be. Mixed with some gems and alot of turds you shift through the find those gems. All the "problems" that plague the industry like pandering are all shared with older generations and will never change. Its identical.

^ You're a wise one.
Jun 20, 2014 5:30 PM

Apr 2013
all anime is shit
especially clannad
an egomaniac and a fool

Jun 20, 2014 5:39 PM

Apr 2011
I agree

Dragon Ball Kai is new therefore the statement "All new anime is shit" is false.
Jun 20, 2014 6:27 PM

Feb 2010
Zergneedsfood said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I just wonder if it is actually relevant for the enjoyment if the sound quality is higher. I know it isn't for me, lower sound quality even has some specific charm to it :>.
Does it? I would want to hear Horowitz or old Rachmaninoff recordings in clearer sounds. :/

Like....I guess it doesn't really matter much for anime since I don't think there have been that many anime where sound is a big big deal, though Lain and various other music oriented anime definitely are probably the exception, so think of it this way:

Would you like to watch Nodame Cantabile and listen to static filled recordings (some of Nausicaa's BGM iirc had some pretty questionable sound quality, but I could be wrong) or ones that aren't filled with static? It's an exaggeration, sure, but that's the point I'm making.

Well, firstly I definitely prefer good sound quality for Nodame, but I think it's a special case. It's mostly live performances you see and it would be kinda strange if the live performances of the anime sounded like old recordings. For OSTs that aren't actively part of the plot I don't really mind. I think some 70s or 80s shows would be less enjoyable without their typical soundtracks and quality though, it's just part of the nostalgia package.
Jun 20, 2014 9:27 PM

Nov 2012
I'm gunna have to be that guy and question the relevance of OPs opinion on this matter. He only has ~10 on completed, none of which are from earlier than 2004.

As for my opinion; at the start of this year I would have said that, yes, new anime is shit, but by the looks of the summer and falls seasons, I'm not too sure I can still say that.
Jun 20, 2014 10:13 PM

Nov 2012
Well a lot of the stuff that is released is pretty crap. But that applies to everything. Sturgeon's Law at it's finest. But of course we're gonna have some gems every season as well as some decent stuff. But then again, who cares what others think?
Jun 20, 2014 10:38 PM

Jun 2012
Of course not all new anime are shit. There were shit anime released before, they are getting released now and they will be getting released in the future as well. But same is with good anime. You just need to know where to look.

People who are saying that everything new is shit, are probably just coming across only bad ones in these new seasons, or maybe they are just too big of fanboys for old school anime.
Jun 20, 2014 10:39 PM
Mar 2011
the inudtry is dictated by the fans right and since fans have becomce more entitled
anime has got worse insted of doing as they want or what the investors want thay bow they bow ot there hyper entitaled fan bases [ both side of the Pacific[ see space dandy]

Jun 21, 2014 1:02 AM

Mar 2012
FGAU1912 said:
the inudtry is dictated by the fans right and since fans have becomce more entitled
anime has got worse insted of doing as they want or what the investors want thay bow they bow ot there hyper entitaled fan bases [ both side of the Pacific[ see space dandy]

I need to agree with that.
Jun 21, 2014 1:16 AM

Dec 2012
Miraclezify said:
Well a lot of the stuff that is released is pretty crap. But that applies to everything. Sturgeon's Law at it's finest. But of course we're gonna have some gems every season as well as some decent stuff. But then again, who cares what others think?
Sturgeon's Law also applies to MAL posts that I quote.
Jun 21, 2014 1:21 AM

Jun 2009
Have I mentioned how much I dislike this "sturgeon's law" crap? Because I do.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 21, 2014 1:26 AM

Jun 2013
Wait, is the even debatable?

Of course not all new anime is inherently shit.

It's just that under the obstinate views of the masses, letting go of the "gems" of the past means hurting the gold of the future.

It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jun 21, 2014 1:44 AM

Apr 2014
Valaskjalf said:
I agree

Dragon Ball Kai is new therefore the statement "All new anime is shit" is false.

This post cured my cancer.

Anyway, old anime tends to be classier and more adequate but also potentially more boring.
Jun 21, 2014 2:18 AM

Feb 2012
The problem is that all new good anime are actually old anime. This means sequels, remakes or adaptions of other old things. It really is like a miracle when you find something actually new.
Jun 21, 2014 6:18 AM

May 2014
goldslash said:
FGAU1912 said:

I need to agree with that.

OBJECTION! Do YOU actually watch new anime? Beside, just because it's not your cup of tea doen't mean it's shit. Also, FGAU1912, check your spelling and grammar before posting or else you sound like a 12 years old girl.

Jun 21, 2014 7:14 AM
Aug 2013
Anime is shit. Even if it has a few gems, it's still shit.
Jun 21, 2014 7:22 AM

Nov 2010
insan3Spectre said:
Have I mentioned how much I dislike this "sturgeon's law" crap? Because I do.
Yeah I hate when people bring it up. It's just an excuse.
Jun 21, 2014 7:45 AM

Jul 2008
Is new anime shit? the real question is moe shit? because if you don't like that you probably don't like most of the new stuff.

I don't even really care if the things I watch are seen as shit, I really even barely grade things anymore more anyways. New anime isn't shit its just different. Plus there has always been shit.

Iam glad people break down things and review them but every freaking person does not need to do it. Most people should just like or not like things... and I think people do that anyways most of the time so meh.
Jun 21, 2014 8:31 AM

Dec 2012
There will always be "shit" anime and there will always be "non-shit" anime, in my opinion, about 75% of anime, new or old, are bound to be relatively shit...That's just the cruel world we live in.
Jun 21, 2014 9:22 AM

Feb 2008
mecharobot said:
The problem is that all new good anime are actually old anime. This means sequels, remakes or adaptions of other old things. It really is like a miracle when you find something actually new.

Nailed it.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» If you lived in the world of your favorite series, would you be happier or not?

Shizuna - 10 hours ago

17 by deg »»
27 seconds ago

Poll: » is there less demand for ecchi, hentai, sexual fanservice this days?

deg - 7 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows ( 1 2 )

Treatise - Sep 19

71 by Technopunk »»
10 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

93 by Technopunk »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Do You Use Other Anime/Manga Sites Besides MAL?

Xypheron - Yesterday

39 by Dumb »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.