Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 » ... Last »
Feb 24, 2014 11:27 PM

Sep 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
Okay, this is gonna be tough, but can you guys rank my Currently Watching list according to how fun you think the titles are? I know this'll be very subjective, but I think I need a little bit of subjectivity right now. Anime's starting to drain me. I only watch like 5 episodes a week now. :(

Nagisa33 said:

Planetes had parts where I literally laughed out loud (the whole smoking episode) or had a huge smile on my face. The first half is more comedic and the likable cast of characters really shine. They all have their moments. Seeing Robbie and Philippe act like goofballs always made me smile. Gigalt serving as a mentor to some characters was a pleasure to watch. For some reason it's hard to put in to words why I enjoyed this show but this is one of my all time favorites. Some smiles were from the beauty of space and the way the world was handled and others were from the many characters doing their thing or defying my expectations.

I haven't seen Gunslinger Girl or Ippo, so I can only comment on Planetes, but I agree with all this. Part of what I loved about it is that the goofball characters are for a purpose. The show portrays space as a really hostile environment; you'd have to be crazy to want to live there, and every character is is little crazy, in good ways and bad ways. And I don't think I'm bringing this interpretation to the series, because it seemed to me that it was acknowledged in the show about halfway through.

I remember you said you didn't like episode 3, but I would submit that past that point the series is never as instructive as that episode comes across (Also, I read the manga and I thought that whole scenario worked better there).

I'm not sure what else is fun in the way of anime. You could watch Paul Thomas Anderson's Boogie Nights if your goal is just to relieve some of the drain.
Feb 25, 2014 5:09 AM

Jun 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
Okay, this is gonna be tough, but can you guys rank my Currently Watching list according to how fun you think the titles are? I know this'll be very subjective, but I think I need a little bit of subjectivity right now. Anime's starting to drain me. I only watch like 5 episodes a week now. :(

Watching something you already know is the worst thing you can do if that's the case. Disregard your unfinished series and start something new, like Azumanga, yotsuba or ichigo mashimaro.
Feb 25, 2014 10:47 AM
Aug 2013
Hello everyone!

Just trying to find more anime that I might enjoy... so I figured I would post here in order to get some recommendations.
Feb 25, 2014 12:34 PM

Feb 2012
Ducat_Revel said:

Most of these are some very good to great anime. It's useless to even rank them. Have you been watching series based on their ratings or fame? Because that is generally a horrible idea. I'd just drop them all to wait for a better day.

btw, I also watch like 5-7 episodes a week, but that's actually a lot. You could easily watch a lot of shows with that pace when it comes down to it. There is no point watching 50+ series a year anyway. That's just a huge waste of time.
Feb 25, 2014 1:06 PM

Nov 2011
Hey everyone!

I hope I'm doing this right, but could I ask for some good recommendations based on my lists?

I watch almost everything except hentai, yuri (Shoujo-ai/Yaoi/Shounen-ai is ok), and I'm not a big fan of GAR (but if it's good, why not). I'd rather not get into another long running shounen though. I'm planning to watch a bunch of what's currently airing as soon as the season ends.

I hope that helps!

「オレたちがあきらめないかぎり、何も終わりはしない。」 -- ムントさま
Feb 26, 2014 3:07 PM

Oct 2012
Oliven said:
Hello everyone!
Just trying to find more anime that I might enjoy... so I figured I would post here in order to get some recommendations.

Based on your list I would literally recommend every Studio Ghibli movies created by Miyazaki. You might also like Brave Story if you're not against a more 'rated G' type.

Tempalca said:
Hey everyone!

I hope I'm doing this right, but could I ask for some good recommendations based on my lists?

I watch almost everything except hentai, yuri (Shoujo-ai/Yaoi/Shounen-ai is ok), and I'm not a big fan of GAR (but if it's good, why not). I'd rather not get into another long running shounen though. I'm planning to watch a bunch of what's currently airing as soon as the season ends.

I hope that helps!

Wolf's Rain - action and psychological it's a great pick : )
There would also be Noir
Feb 27, 2014 3:08 AM

Nov 2011
Chekchie said:

Wolf's Rain - action and psychological it's a great pick : )
There would also be Noir

Thanks they look interesting, I'll try them out!

「オレたちがあきらめないかぎり、何も終わりはしない。」 -- ムントさま
Feb 27, 2014 3:43 PM
Aug 2013
Chekchie said:

Based on your list I would literally recommend every Studio Ghibli movies created by Miyazaki. You might also like Brave Story if you're not against a more 'rated G' type.

Ah I've been meaning to check out more of Miyazaki's work. I've already watched three of his earlier ones. I'll also make sure to check out brave story.

Thanks!
Mar 9, 2014 7:13 AM

Jun 2012
Finished Hunter x Hunter 99 and the OVAs, ahhhh that was some good shit, they did Yorknew and GI with justice. Shame it stopped before Chimera Ant

Anyway thanks to whoever recommended it to me pages ago. Now to continue Wolf's Rain~
Mar 9, 2014 9:11 AM

Jan 2013
Kaimon237 said:
Finished Hunter x Hunter 99 and the OVAs, ahhhh that was some good shit, they did Yorknew and GI with justice. Shame it stopped before Chimera Ant

Anyway thanks to whoever recommended it to me pages ago. Now to continue Wolf's Rain~

Personally I hated the GI OVAs, I find that's when 2011 starts to take its stride; the 2011 GI was really fun, the OVAs I found really dull. It seems I was the one who told you to watch Hunter x Hunter 1999 though, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D
AngelsArcanumMar 9, 2014 9:15 AM
Mar 9, 2014 10:23 AM

Jun 2012
ChrisTucker said:
Kaimon237 said:

Personally I hated the GI OVAs, I find that's when 2011 starts to take its stride; the 2011 GI was really fun, the OVAs I found really dull. It seems I was the one who told you to watch Hunter x Hunter 1999 though, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

Yeah, it was you!

I prefer GI in the 2011 anime by a long shot, but I thought the OVAs were at least entertaining.
Mar 9, 2014 11:51 AM

Jan 2013
Right, I forgot my temporary username switch might have thrown people off, it's Angel to those out of the loop XD.
Mar 14, 2014 8:52 AM

Apr 2013
So, I finally (FINALLY, ohh Sweet Mother of Jesus!) have some free time to spend on watching anime. Can I get any recommendation? I only need 1, and since I'm going to marathon it, I would prefer something that last no more than 20+ episodes and doesn't has any sequel/prequel/seasons.

Now, gimme something to watch!
or not, you know, if you really don't want to...
Mar 14, 2014 7:43 PM
Mar 2012
Hi everyone!

I'd love to get some recommendations based on my list; I'm looking for something new to watch.
Mar 15, 2014 2:32 AM

May 2012
I'm going to give you the same advice I give to every new person who posts in this thread. You don't score many anime. Apart from the handful of tens on your list, we aren't able to tell what you like. Go to the Enlightenment List and take a look at the titles listed. You should probably try out some of the more modern, mainstream and all around popular titles.
Mar 18, 2014 4:46 PM
Mar 2014
Hello,
Could i get some recommendations based on my current list?
I would also like to know what you think of my list.
Mar 18, 2014 5:06 PM

Jan 2013
gmanf150 said:
Hello,

Very action-oriented it seems, I'll say:
-Kure-nai
-Casshern Sins
-Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
-Hunter X Hunter 1999
-Fist of the North Star
-Mazinkaiser SKL
-Nurarihyon no Mago
-GinTama
-Birdy Decode
-Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
-GetBackers

Cut from your list:
-Accel World
-Another
-Beelzebub (manga is better I'm told)
-Blood+ maybe? Seen half of it and it's rather dull
-Btooom
-Buso Renkin
-Code Geass R2
-Deadman Wonderland
-Elfen Lied
-Fate/stay night original
-Gantz (too slow and flat for me)
-Majestic Prince
-Guilty Crown
-Higurashi
-Initial D? Character designs...ugh
-Mirai Nikki
-Mondaiji
-Nabari no Oh (read the manga)
-Noucome
-Pandora Hearts I guess
and then you're pretty much good I'd say.
AngelsArcanumMar 18, 2014 5:12 PM
Mar 18, 2014 5:40 PM
Mar 2014
ChrisTucker said:
gmanf150 said:
Hello,

Very action-oriented it seems, I'll say:
-Kure-nai
-Casshern Sins
-Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
-Hunter X Hunter 1999
-Fist of the North Star
-Mazinkaiser SKL
-Nurarihyon no Mago
-GinTama
-Birdy Decode
-Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
-GetBackers

Cut from your list:
-Accel World
-Another
-Beelzebub (manga is better I'm told)
-Blood+ maybe? Seen half of it and it's rather dull
-Btooom
-Buso Renkin
-Code Geass R2
-Deadman Wonderland
-Elfen Lied
-Fate/stay night original
-Gantz (too slow and flat for me)
-Majestic Prince
-Guilty Crown
-Higurashi
-Initial D? Character designs...ugh
-Mirai Nikki
-Mondaiji
-Nabari no Oh (read the manga)
-Noucome
-Pandora Hearts I guess
and then you're pretty much good I'd say.

Gotta say i probably will drop a few but i want to finish code geass r2 and Mirai Nikki and a few others.
and while i love action, I also love complex plots and horror.
gmanf150Mar 18, 2014 6:28 PM
Mar 30, 2014 3:42 PM
Oct 2013
Hi, I am looking for two things:

First for my lists to be reviewed, I would love to know what others think of my taste.

Second, I am looking for some new anime to watch. I have a very specific type, although I have been known to watch a different type every now and then. My type is what I like to call "The Hero Anime" (perhaps there is a legit name for this type but if there is I don't know what it is). By hero anime what I'm looking for is a main character (preferably male) who is super strong for some reason and his strength is usually a surprise to most. I like when there are side characters who are strong and awesome too. An example of what I call hero anime is Bleach, Shaman King, D.Gray-man, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Blue Exorcist, Kekkaishi, etc. If you've seen any of these then its easy to tell what kind of anime I'm talking about. Each of them has a male main character who is super badass with a supporting cast of characters who are equally badass. Also, as you can tell I don't care what their medium of strength is, whether its magic, fire, spiritual pressure, chi, chakra, whatever. I just like an anime that generally focuses on what character who gets stronger over time and the show must have awesome fight scenes. Does this make sense? I just wanna make sure I'm not being confusing so that I can get answers that are relevant to the topic. (For me, there is nothing more annoying that getting an answer that is completely unrelated to the topic/question, honestly not trying to be rude, just trying to be as honest as possible).

I have been known to watch anime that does not fall into that type like Speed Grapher, Darker Than Black, etc.

Thanks for the help.
"It is really quite simple. My desire is to uphold my self-respect. That is all." - Byakuya Kuchiki
Mar 30, 2014 7:22 PM

Jan 2013
@Lexie

Well...you got FLCL and Nura on there, that's pretty good. :D

As for your criteria, it generally sounds like a lot of shonen anime, and based on your outline I'll recommend Fist of the North Star 1, GetBackers, Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (the main characters are dogs though, so that depends), GinTama, Hajime no Ippo, Hunter X Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin and the Trust and Betrayal OVA especially, Moribito (lead is a female), Utena (also female lead but shojo oriented with a lot of action), Tegami Bachi (more of an adventure series), Gurren Lagann to an extent with its characters (?) lol and maybe The Unlimited (only most of the characters know the MC is ridiculously strong). That seems like a decent starting point to broaden things as you veer into stuff like Darker than Black as you mentioned.
Apr 6, 2014 9:49 AM

Aug 2013
Hi there, i look for some series, complicated plot/unpredictable ending are welcome. Action, drama, psychological things - everything suits. Please, give me some recommendations.

And I DO NOT ask to rate my list or something ^_^

Thanks.
Beautiful is better than ugly. Explicit is better than implicit.
Simple is better than complex. Complex is better than complicated.
Apr 6, 2014 9:58 AM
Nov 2009
I haven't seen Utena but I heard that fits the profile. Also Texhnolyze and maybe Ghost in the Shell by a far stretch.
Apr 6, 2014 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
Juuni Kokuki, Seirei no Moribito, NHK ni Youkoso!, Mawaru Penguindrum.
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Apr 7, 2014 4:20 PM
Oct 2013
queen666ie said:
Hi there, i look for some series, complicated plot/unpredictable ending are welcome. Action, drama, psychological things - everything suits. Please, give me some recommendations.

Thanks.

If you looking for action packed with complete unpredictability, then Attack on Titan is the way to go. One of the best, most action packed, epic anime I have ever seen. Trust me.
"It is really quite simple. My desire is to uphold my self-respect. That is all." - Byakuya Kuchiki
Apr 7, 2014 4:50 PM

Aug 2009
LexieS17 said:
queen666ie said:

Thanks.

If you looking for action packed with complete unpredictability, then Attack on Titan is the way to go. One of the best, most action packed, epic anime I have ever seen. Trust me.

It is a good practice to take a look at the list of the person who's asking for recommendations. She has already seen AoT.
Apr 7, 2014 5:35 PM

Jan 2013
LexieS17 said:
Trust me.
Also avoid this sentence like the plague. If she's asking for an opinion, she's already putting her trust in us; this demand for trust makes it sound like:
a) it's unbelievable that the series you recommended is any good,
b) you're not inherently trustworthy, and
c) you're a fangirl.
MaegilApr 7, 2014 5:45 PM

I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Apr 7, 2014 6:59 PM
Oct 2013
@HerRoyalHighness, :-8, OOPS! Im sure you can tell, I'm new here. I will remember to do that from now on.

@Maegil, I'm not sure how saying "trust me" indicates the show is not any good or that you aren't trustworthy. For me, when someone says "trust me" I take that to mean, they really believe and mean what they are saying and it makes me say "well, guess I'll have to give it a try". But that's just me. And as someone who is pretty new to the anime community I'm not sure what a fangirl is or why its a bad thing. Aren't we not all fans of anime? However, that being said, for the sake of this forum I will leave that phrase out.
Apr 7, 2014 7:43 PM

Jan 2013
LexieS17 said:
@Maegil, I'm not sure how saying "trust me" indicates the show is not any good or that you aren't trustworthy. For me, when someone says "trust me" I take that to mean, they really believe and mean what they are saying and it makes me say "well, guess I'll have to give it a try". But that's just me. And as someone who is pretty new to the anime community I'm not sure what a fangirl is or why its a bad thing. Aren't we not all fans of anime? However, that being said, for the sake of this forum I will leave that phrase out.
a) and b) are mostly a matter of semantics and subconscious associations.

Regarding a), by demanding to be trusted you're showing that you don't have the confidence that your recommendation will be believed - and why shouldn't you be sure? The other person may be induced to think that, just maybe, there's something wrong with the rec.

b) means that you pass a fear that the other person doesn't already trust you - and why would you fear that, is there a reason for that fear? Maybe you were found untrustworthy by someone else, and as the saying goes, where there's smoke...

c) is quite simple. Let's use Sword Art Online as an example: you watched, liked it, and marked it as an 8 - very good, but still recognizing that it could have been better. That's an anime fan's normal behaviour. Now, if you were a SAO fangirl, then it'd have been SKWEE TRUST ME IT'S10!!!1!one!1!! 10, I TELL YOU, DA BEST EVAH!!!, and woe be anybody who disagrees, and trust me trust me its soooooooo great!!!!1!!!1one!
I think you can see how every other anime fan hates this kind of mindless fawning...
MaegilApr 7, 2014 8:09 PM

Apr 8, 2014 3:11 AM

Feb 2008
Calm down Maegil, no need to go bananas over minor things.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 8, 2014 3:15 AM

Nov 2011
Maegil please leave the modding to the mods okay? Don't attack people for something as silly as saying 'trust me' please. We don't need unnecessary arguments here and I'd prefer if you didn't scare off potential new members. =)

And for the record, there ain't nothin' wrong with fangirls.

P.S. Lexie, secret high-five for both being Year of the Dragon as well as FT fangirls. ;)
Apr 8, 2014 3:44 AM

Apr 2009
Maegil, as one of the founding members of this club I think you should know that we are not overly serious and that anime/manga is NOT a matter of life and death.
It may be true that she might not be as experienced as a lot of other people here but she tried and I honestly don't think it's justified to be this enraged over a comment like "Trust me". Consider this a warning.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 8, 2014 4:06 AM

Aug 2009
LexieS17 said:
@HerRoyalHighness, :-8, OOPS! Im sure you can tell, I'm new here. I will remember to do that from now on.

No problem, no need to apologize. Welcome to the club, btw.
Apr 8, 2014 4:26 AM

Jan 2013
Attack?!? What are you talking about? I'm just trying to help! (Though I admit that sometimes my pedantry takes the better of me...)

Apr 8, 2014 6:25 AM

Jan 2013
All right, I got it! My help is both unnecessary and unwanted, but please refrain from spamming my mailbox with revilement messages - and if you also object to "revilement" along with "semantics", it's your problem; there are plenty of online dictionaries!

Apr 8, 2014 2:42 PM

Nov 2011
Maegil said:
All right, I got it! My help is both unnecessary and unwanted, but please refrain from spamming my mailbox with revilement messages - and if you also object to "revilement" along with "semantics", it's your problem; there are plenty of online dictionaries!

Pray tell who spammed your inbox? Because it wasn't myself, or Nid, or Meta, or Zeta, or Nickie.
Apr 8, 2014 11:50 PM
Oct 2013
@ZetaZaku, Amberleh, and Nidhoeggr I'm glad you guys said it, cuz I'll be honest as someone who has a degree in psychology even I thought "dude, it's not that deep. It is not that deep" but I didn't want to appear rude.

@RoyalHighness thanks for the welcome! :-).

@Amberleh high-five right back :-P.

Another other ideas for some good shonen like FT, Bleach, Shaman King, Naruto, etc. I'm compiling a list so I can make sure to always have something to watch. Again, I prefer dubs and male main characters, but if an anime is good enough I can over look that.
Apr 9, 2014 1:19 AM

Nov 2011
I see you have not seen One Piece, and I highly recommend it. Also, the dub is VERY good- One of the better anime dubs I have ever heard, for sure. The voices all fit the characters very well and are quite energetic, and there's like 336 currently dubbed episodes and several movies. =3 Especially considering you like Fairy Tail, I think you'd quite enjoy One Piece.
Apr 9, 2014 4:20 AM

Apr 2013
@lexis17
If you like a good shounen, I'd point you in the direction of "Hajime no Ippo" a boxing anime, I haven't seen the sequels though, but I'm fairly confident that they would be good.
Apr 10, 2014 1:18 PM
Oct 2013
Thanks!
Apr 11, 2014 4:07 AM

Apr 2012
Yu Yu Hakusho is a really good shonen with a fantastic dub (FUNIMATION) as well. It's the series that inspired Shaman King and Bleach, so I'm fairly confident it's up your alley.

So far it's only available in sub, but Hunter X Hunter is something that, in this shonen fan's humble opinion, is a must-see for all shonen fans.

Rurouni Kenshin is 90s sword fighting with a pretty good dub as well, and Black Cat (its spiritual successor) is one of my favorite mangas. The anime for it is licensed by Funimation, so you can give that a shot as well.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Apr 11, 2014 5:21 AM

Nov 2011
Actually I loved the Black Cat manga (never did finish it though), but the anime, from what I saw of it, is terribad. The character designs look too square and they ruined Eve's personality.
Apr 11, 2014 5:29 AM

Apr 2009
Black Cat...I only ever read the first volume but I liked what I saw.
If you want a new series you could give Nanatsu No Taizai a try as well. It's high fantasy with a feeling similar to classic hero epics like Beowulf in terms of scale, powers, etc.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 11, 2014 8:35 AM

Jan 2013
sushiisawesome said:

So far it's only available in sub, but Hunter X Hunter is something that, in this shonen fan's humble opinion, is a must-see for all shonen fans.

Hunter X Hunter 1999 had a dub, it was serviceable but nothing great.

@Queenie:
Casshern Sins, Gatchaman Crowds, Kaiji (great ending in S2), Hajime no Ippo, Hunter X Hunter, Kaiba, Mazinkaiser SKL, Noein, RahXephon, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal and Tatami Galaxy could be up your alley.
AngelsArcanumApr 11, 2014 8:40 AM
Apr 11, 2014 10:15 AM

Jun 2012
ChrisTucker said:

Hunter X Hunter 1999 had a dub, it was serviceable but nothing great

It's tolerable but there are some parts that just made me legit LOL, particularly with Kurapika

"SPAIDERZ!"
Apr 11, 2014 10:55 AM

Apr 2012
Kaimon said:
ChrisTucker said:

Hunter X Hunter 1999 had a dub, it was serviceable but nothing great

It's tolerable but there are some parts that just made me legit LOL, particularly with Kurapika

"SPAIDERZ!"

What about KILLOOA?
- Oreki, Hyouka
Apr 11, 2014 8:14 PM
Oct 2013
@sushiisawesome Thanks! I added those to my list.
Apr 12, 2014 2:15 PM
Oct 2013
Hey,
Any recommendations for animes or mangas that I should delete from my Plan to Watch list? Especially from the manga list.
Apr 12, 2014 2:34 PM

Jun 2012
Basimgueiro said:
Hey,
Any recommendations for animes or mangas that I should delete from my Plan to Watch list? Especially from the manga list.

From from what I recognize, nothing in your PTW seems bad, or at least not enough to where you would need to forget about it entirely. Though since it's small maybe sample an episode or so of each? Depending on how much free time you have.
Apr 12, 2014 3:57 PM

Sep 2012
Basimgueiro said:
Hey,

From the PTR, Devilman and Battle Royale are shit, Master Keaton isn't translated and Yu Yu Hakusho is meh.

From the PTW, remove Hellsing because it's an insult to Ultimate, and Higashi no Eden is mediocre at best.
Apr 13, 2014 12:22 AM

Apr 2012
Basimgueiro said:
Hey,

Save for Hellsing, nothing stands out as something you should remove.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

32 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 17, 5:02 AM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.