Forum Settings
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 29, 2015 4:57 AM

Aug 2013
This might've been mentioned before, maybe not, but I've read a bunch ass forum pages about this, so I don't know what's what anymore.

This is how I see it: the flower is escapism (stole it from here), and while it is about moving on, I see another aspect to it. It's about finding himself. Or better yet finding what he really wants to do with his life, what's he passionate about ("I didn't care about the New Your Giants like they did. I cared about Sputnik. I was nuts about it, it was passionate. Nobody told me yet adults were supposed to be ashamed of those feelings" - a little shout-out to Halt & Catch Fire). First it "was" Baudelaire - I suspect he liked what his father told him about it, more than for what it actually was, as he didn't understand it at that age. Then it was the idea of a perfect, non-sexual woman, even though we see him peeking at Saeki's crotch. An indication that his beliefs don't match his behaviour. That's probably why it was so liberating to be friends with Nakamura, to finally be rid of the contradiction, act closer to his true self. But that wasn't him either. Not entirely. All these things were escapist. I'm not sure to say if they're deliberate or he simply didn't know until he went through all these experiences. And so he, after the dream sequence, realizes this. I don't think he realizes Nakamura is his dream girl or anything. He just realizes she was the biggest influence on his life. And since he like reading and writing, what better to write about than that.

I think he'll end up with Aya. He sees her note and wakes up to their life together. It's not an end all argument, it's an open ending, but that's what I like to believe. Aya is a better match for him than Nakamura. Speaking of Nakamura, she's a realistic character with a mental illness and a grudge against fakers and the like. That's fine. It's just that I, like some of you, wanted more for her. It was a bit misleading until the end. But maybe that's another point - maybe it was a reality check - she's not some cool sensei, she's sick. And there are people that never get better and which are crushed by the world. Try not to be those people.

To sum it up, I think it was a story about Takao all along, we just didn't see it. And it was about finding what he wants to do what kind of person he wants to be, we just didn't see it. And as that, it's wrapped up. The future is a bonus, Nakamura's last issue is a bonus. The dream where he sees Nakamura and starts writing would be enough to end what the central issue of the manga.

I might be looking at this from my perspective a bit. I kinda wish I was a writer. To be honest, I don't write almost at all. But I think I learned something from this story. I often wondered "What should I write about? Where do authors get their inspiration and ideas?" and Oshimi answered my question, especially since he said it was an autobiographical tale. "You should write", he said metaphorically, "about what you care the most". And that's what Takao did. That story arc ends the moment the tip of his pencil touches the surface of the paper.

I also like to think that the point isn't to conform to the world. He didn't settle with/for Saeki. He looked for something better (suited for him). And he continued his perversions - in writing. It was just about finding the balance between "erase yourself for the sake of the world" and "erase the world for your sake".

On a side note, I remember having an idea about half way through the manga. So I'm reading it again. Might post more if I remember what it was. Unless I already said it here. I was reading so much about AnH trying to remember, more than to better understand the work, but that was a motivation too. Double kill. Might've found what I was looking for without even realizing it.
Sep 1, 2015 3:03 PM
Jun 2015
I thought the series was gonna end up like school days so when I found out what the ending was I was kinda happy XD
Sep 1, 2015 5:25 PM

Aug 2015
I really enjoyed this manga, but the ending pissed me off a little.
Nov 14, 2015 1:32 AM

Nov 2011
Open ended in a way, thought they could have done more, enjoyed it as a whole but wasn't prepared for some of the insanity.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 15, 2015 9:45 AM

Jul 2013
Opened ended because life is open ended. We may die, but no one knows what the future holds. I can see why people say this is "masterpiece" but I wouldn't go that far. I will say that in this story you can tell that the author really poured some of his soul into it.

A coming of age story with a twist of the "more" deviant side of human nature. I bet many on here have read their share of Dōjinshi/hentai and even though everyone claims to be a vanilla lover we all have our "deviant" tastes. I think the author was trying to tap into that aspect of our nature/culture.

The romance in this one was actually realistic (also a good example of a healthy relationship). People who tend to do well together are people who have hobbies/passions in common.

It's a must read, but I wouldn't recommend it to those who are still immature in the aspect of life.
retributionisblind.wordpress.com
Nov 16, 2015 5:23 AM
Feb 2015
Started reading this manga because I trusted someone's manga Recs. In all honesty, the first half was nigh unreadable. I only kep reading because he described it as 'phenomenal'.
You know there are manga where the MCs suck as people but it's still fun to read? Yeah this isn't that kind of manga. This is the kind where you want to go into the manga and bitchslap the MCs, they're that annoying.
Good Lord, I know it's meant to be some coming of age shit, but I have never read this amount of unaddressed stupidity in teen protagonists in a manga; and this is coming from someone who's read a fair amount of shoujo manga.
Phew. Ok, now that I'm done ranting about the incredibly annoying first half. The 2nd half wasn't as annoying and was actually relatively enjoyable to read. At the very least, one thing you can't take away from this manga is it's character development. It definitely has that in spades. I liked Aya, and I actually kinda liked the way the manga ended. I don't feel unsatisfied at least. All in all, I'd give it a 7, which is really just based on my own personal enjoyment of it.
Jan 17, 2016 1:36 AM

Jan 2012
Aku no Hana has three central themes that it wishes to convey.
Society , Identity , Acceptance and Overcoming your flaws.

The "flowers of evil" and "the other side" both have different meanings depending on each character.

First thing is first. Nakamura definitely is not mentally stable.
She most likely suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder or something similar.
For Nakamura "The other side" means escaping society and the grasp it has on you.

For Kasuga "The other side" means finding self identity and not being the same as everyone around you and is also one of the main reasons he chooses to read Les Fleurs du mal, not because he understands it because he even told Saiki that he doesn't.
He does it because he doesn't feel unique in any way or shape , and Nakamura also tells him this.

For Saiki "The other side" is a combination of both Nakamura and Kasuga's.
She doesn't have an identity which is why she is seen as an "angel" without any flaws by the protagonist. He projects his perfect vision that he has onto her , and the realization that she isn't perfect comes to a huge shock to him.
She however also wants to escape the bonds her mother and father have over her , and also the image that she has put up which her parents have projected onto her of being the perfect student.

For Tokiwa "The other side" is about being true to yourself , and admitting who you are.

Nakamura feels left out because no-one is willing to be a unique version of themselves and always try to copy what everyone else is doing or expecting of them.
(This is also why she tells Saiki that "You've got less substance to you than a F@#$ing fly")
They all go with the flow without question and essentially grow into the same flowers that surround them. After all flowers of the same type will grow together.
The flowers can be seen as representing people in this regard.
This is also apparent in chapter 18 when you can see him running up to Nakamura with the flowers of evil rising up into the sky.
The flowers around Nakamura vanish when she walks away , however those around Kasuga don't.
This emphasizes how he cannot escape society and is being left behind in a similar way to how he is leaving Saiki behind who doesn't understand him , but envies him because he goes against society. (Reading Les Fleurs du mal, Befriending Nakamura, Vandalizing the classroom, Stealing her gym clothes).

Nakamura later tries to also "shed" the flowers (Society) that is holding Kasuga back (Symbolically peeling off his skin) , however he is unable to do so and Nakamura realizes this and how dependent he is on her , which is why she pushes him away when they want to commit suicide. She realizes that he is just like a flower that sprouted next to her , he doesn't have any unique identity , he is merely trying to appeal to her and she hates this fact. (Throughout the series she has accepted him for both his good and bad qualities and wanted him to be open with himself , but in doing so she has shaped him into her ideal which she doesn't want.)
This also becomes more apparent at the end of the Manga when she asks him if he is going out with Tokiwa.
When he says that he is she acknowledges that he is walking the path that everyone walks. When asked the question if she does the same she lifts her head towards the sky and this portraying her eyes in the same way as the eyes of the flowers that get shown on Les Fleur du Mal.
This is symbolic because it tells him that she is alone (Like he was) and that she will never fit in because she is different.

This saddens Tokiwa because she was in a similar situation until she met Kasuga and she also tells Nakamura that she could go live with Kasuga because they truly understand each other at this stage.

Nakamura realizes that she has been left behind by Kasuga and thus starts walking away. Kasuga wants to merely help Nakamura and has always wanted to help her. Since the very first time they became friends. However Nakamura just doesn't reach out to take his hand.

He also tells her that he is happy that she hasn't disappeared because this means that she can still be helped and that she can still find her "other side" (Place of belonging) just like he and Tokiwa did.

The reason she pushes him away is because she realizes that he is no longer the person he was. She realizes that he has not only caught up with her , but that he has overtook her , and that she is now trying to catch up to him.

After the fight they all reach a mutual understanding , something that cannot be expressed with words. This is that Nakamura does want to be helped , but not by him she no longer wants to hold him behind, she wants him to move on. She is still looking for someone to fill her gap (And probably wants to do some self searching) like he and Tokiwa filled each other's void. She realizes that the love she has held for him was artificial just like his love was for Saiki.
She realizes that she had merely been shaping him into her ideal and that she herself must change as well to be someone else's ideal. After all relationships don't work one way.

The reason I feel that many people hate the second part for not having enough "craziness" is because they don't understand what Kasuga goes through during the second part.
While the first part of the story establishes what "the flowers of evil" and "the other side" is to each individual , the second part shows how Kasuga get's over his fears (Anxiety and Depression) and gains enough self confidence to ask out Tokiwa in front of her boyfriend.

He grows as an individual and is no longer a lone evil flower. He finds a partner that understands him. This is emphasized at the end with the field of normal flowers and the one lone evil flower that breaks away with flower petals that pass over everyone that has made peace with their own evils.

At the end of the dream Kasuga realizes however that these evils shape humanity into what it is. It encompasses the beauty that is humanity. Both the good and the bad play it's fair role in shaping us into what we become. Whether the bad flowers be actual bad people or bad actions or both, that isn't what matters.
What matters is being true to yourself and finding identity. Finding something that truly shapes you into something unique and something that you can be proud of.

(This was just my opinion on what Aku no Hana means. I don't believe that there is really a definitive answer as it is up to the readers interpretation , that is probably also why the actual "Flowers of evil" nor "The other side" ever get explained. Because it isn't as clear as it first appears to be and because the author wants you to speculate and think for yourself instead of spoon feeding you).

For me the manga was a 10/10. The symbolism it takes and tries to convey is truly unique , and I haven't seen anything similar in any shape or form and the character actions themselves all have deeper meaning. I will however say that I didn't enjoy Aku no Hana. It was something that I will regard as a masterpiece , but it is not something which I like just because of how realistic this is and how much I identify with the characters of the show (Not in the psychotic sense , but in how pitiful and plain my existence itself is).
PantsuPillowJan 17, 2016 1:56 AM
Feb 6, 2016 11:19 PM

Jan 2011
Well this final chapter was pretty much there to spell it out in black and white that Nakamura is mentally ill. I really was wondering how the series would escalate after the attempted suicide and to my surprise it went a different route and we begun Kasuga's redemption, but that tense feeling was always there. It really was interesting to see these characters grow from their youth, and it managed to catch the essence of doing stupid shit as a kid, albeit taken to a rather extreme point. It does feel like it was rushed at parts, too bad the anime doesn't go longer, because I think it really nailed the slow dull atmosphere right, putting you into the state of mind of the characters, improving on the same scenes in the manga.
Feb 8, 2016 6:01 PM

Jul 2013
Idk what to say really. I wanted a fucked up sad ending, and I didn't get that.
Idk whether to go with 7/10 or 6/10...
I guess, just for the summer festival chapter alone, I have to give it that extra mark.
So, 7/10.
Feb 23, 2016 11:13 PM
Feb 2016
I just ended reading the manga and I have to say it was amazing. Yes. The ending could be more detailed and clear but I believe the author meant for it to be like that. And also, for people who don't know as yet, the author of the manga said in an interview that he wanted to slaughter the readers. Insinuating that it was meant to be so emotionally wrenching. And looking at the response it seems he succeeded in doing what he wanted. He wanted to create something the readers couldn't ignore. Like it or hate it you wouldn't ignore is what he wanted.

Now coming to the ending. The end happens in chapter 56 itself. When Kasuga finds himself in the garden naked he confronts the evil flower which bursts and dispersed and one of the petals can always be seen every time Kasuga sees the possible future of every character. In the end all the characters learn to move on in life. The flower in the end could also mean the flower of puberty. Since when all the characters finally come of age, the flower disperses. And the manga deals with problems of adolescence . Hence, the evil flower.

And as for Nakamura, she can be seen reconciling with her father and its also possible she lived life normally as in one of the last pages of 56 you can see her walking down a flight of stairs having cut her hair short again. And she possibly has a normal job as well.

There's a complete opposite view that's possible with the look in Kasugas eyes when he wakes up and he also has a different dreams about him writing manuscripts and being surrounded by them. And Nakamura too, when she's going down the stairs she still has a gloomy look on her face. So there could be a complete opposite interpretation as well.

So I choose to believe what I wrote.

But that's what it is with open endings.

You stick with what you choose to believe. That's it. There's nothing more to it.

And people, please don't fret over it. The author meant for it to be hard hitting and he's got you exactly where he wanted. So don't lose sleep over it.

All in all I'll give this a 9/10.

And the author. Ill be following all his work form now on.

Cheers.
Feb 24, 2016 10:21 PM
Feb 2016
graymoontsuki said:
MegaUltraTom said:
If you need everything spelled out for you and dislike subtlety, I can understand why someone would hate this ending and this series as a result. For me Aku no Hana is complete. There are no lose-strings.

This ending finally let's us look into Nakamura's mind. She really was "hentai" (perverse), she was lonely, she had demons. You could easily infer she may even have had psychological disorders (delusional, schizophrenic). Based on Chp 53, her mom mentioning she's been calm lately, and considering her poor memory, her preoccupation with the Sun, it's not a stretch to believe she was on anti-psychotic meds.

Kasuga was weird and Nakamura realized that. She thought maybe Kasuga could would be able to understand her, her feelings of disgust at the world, her loneliness, what she was going through with that voice inside her saying "I want out". She wanted him to "tear down his walls", to embrace what she thought they both were. Kasuga was in love with Nakamura and wanted to help her get "to the other side of the mountain", which he thought a public suicide would accomplish. However he just wasn't at her level. She realized no one will able to understand her, not even Kasuga.

In the end, Nakamura couldn't make the world as she wanted it, so she had to adapt and become normal. Kasuga on the other hand really matures and we're encouraged to assume he get's a grip on living a fulfilling life.

copying and pasting some info from http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/106827773/#106858554

Interview with the author, only available in Chinese.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2388666476

>Both Nakamura and Tokiwa are based on author's wife
>Saeki is supposed to be a "very popular and normal" girl. Author hates this kind of girl the most personally. She is the kind of girl who tries to make everyone likes her. The author wants to ask those who like Saeki "You're not being serious that you actually like this kind of personality, right?"
>Family is an important element in AnK
>Nakamura represents the purest and the most honest form. "If she wants to revolt to the teacher for the sake of it, wouldn't it just be easier to use violence? You see, this alone proves how pure she is "She wasn't trying to be mean when she said "bug". This is how she naturally is.
>Nakamura is not a tsundere
>Hentai is a very special word in AnK, it doesn't mean acts like "stealing panties"
>"If Kasuga really is a genius or pervert, the best ending for him would be suicide, but that wouldn't be what I wanted to write." "If the protagonist didn't perform his ability in his life, what would he become? That's what I wanted to write." Basically the author thought that the first part of AnK was already well expressed in so many literature. The second part of AnK was what he actually wanted to write.
>"Nakamura was very lovely!" when she cried
>Author loves hentai manga. But he wanted to make Nakamura mentally hentai, not physically hentai
>Saeki was a symbol of the mountain, and mountain was a symbol of mother. (Remember both Nakamura and Kasuga wanted to escape the mountain)
>Tokiwa has the same desire as Nakamura deep inside her heart. But the different thing between them is that Tokiwa "accepted the society".
>AnK is a autobiography of the author

Reading this and the helpful review (with explanation on the literature in the manga), seems like author's wife used to be Nakamura, but then became Tokiwa. Author makes this separation because wife is no longer Nakamura. The author still treasures the Nakamura inside his wife, who is his inspiration.

Hentai = deviant dreamer who hates society's chains

These two comments, summed it up greatly for me. Thanks guys. I couldn't help but feeling really sad for Nakamura as she suffered from an illness which was so out of her reach and at such a young age. And that in the manga they show her alone at the end was saddening as well. But the fact that Nakamura inspiration comes from the authors wife was satisfying. As both Nakamura and tokiwa stem from the authors wife and continue to live on in her.

So that's what clears the smoke.

And the author already gave us the hint that it was autobiographical because he set the story in the town he was born in. And Kasuga looks a lot like him.

And its safe to say that tokiwa is an evolved depiction of nakamura. She lives in society and leads a normal life but she still is the inspiration which made Kasuga write, and hence, the author.

It can get a little difficult to connect the dots but if anyone feels the same way I did they should Read this thread I guess. It would help them not fret over this so much. Haha.

This manga was unlike I read ever before. And unlike anything includes books or novels or any other manga as well.

I recommend it to everyone. 10/10 now since I understand this.

Shit was trippy though. Loved it.
Mar 2, 2016 4:27 PM
Feb 2016
At first i got hook in manga romance/drama with good ending and good start. At first its all right its so god damn good even its kinda weird but into the progress i starting really think there's something wrong happening in this manga because of the actions i thought thats happening because its making it cool that the MC's are weird and cool as fuck in the same time and then when i came up with the ending its all blown up in me thats nakamura is not normal thats the point i feel sad for her and everyone that seeing nakamura is cool + weird are the best girl even she doing all of that and she's the reason this manga become good ofcourse you know it alrdy because of her different psychopath styles and movements and afterall its just an a sick that i think cant never cure thats why its ended up in that way but the ending its a bit confusing its like he see the future and its just a dream and then start writing it up so its mean thats what will happen in more if u just think it and the last chapter thats shows her true self makes me really sad but afterall i know takao and sawa have a good romance relationship afterall they did that was the MOST WEIRD ROMANCE I SEE IN MY HOLE LIFE just damn its beautiful thats its even can happen in a story and thats what make me sad because they create a progress and i they dint end up there not together. In ending i suggest that the author really did the different path i think this while reading other comments that they still end up together even sawa is not normal and takao ofcourse he loves her he still accept her even the illness she have and they end up a family but sawa maybe the illness continues in the part that she need to stay in mental or she got cured thats the two possible way to end this manga in happy and sad ending i hope thats what happen because its there story at all hope there's a continuation even just they end up together.
Jul 20, 2016 6:20 PM

Aug 2014
Unpopular opinion, but the ending (ch58) was amazing for me. I mean, I didn't like the rest of series much, but the final chapter really changed how I viewed Nakamura as a character, I also have a soft spot for coming-of-age stories and this chapter reminded me how it all started.
But chapter 57 would've made a good ending too.
Trojan_InvasionJul 20, 2016 6:26 PM
Jul 21, 2016 6:48 PM

Jan 2016
It was nice to see Nakamura's point of view of how all of this started. Somehow, I feel slightly disappointed. Just feels like the previous chapter was the last, not this one.
Sep 10, 2016 9:07 PM
Sep 2016
The ending is ok with me just finish it already I cringe most of the time reading it..
I had enough mid fuck for now
my symphaty goes to nanako :(
Sep 18, 2016 3:25 PM

Dec 2014
The time skip ruined this manga. Nakamura and her antics were what made this so interesting and fun to read. You then do a time skip and remove everything that made this manga what it is and you get a pretty boring story. This last chapter was good, seeing things from Nakamura's perspective and all. But I think it would've been better if they actually just died when they attempted to and have this be the last chapter after that one. Making you feel sorta bad for her knowing how mentally ill she really was. Oh well, it was a good binge at least.

4/10
Sep 24, 2016 1:36 AM
Apr 2015
MegaUltraTom said:

>Saeki is supposed to be a "very popular and normal" girl. Author hates this kind of girl the most personally. She is the kind of girl who tries to make everyone likes her. The author wants to ask those who like Saeki "You're not being serious that you actually like this kind of personality, right?"

The author having a hatred boner for Saeki really explains a lot about what happened to her character. Damn did she go off the rails. I really think it's unfair, I still sympathize with Saeki. She reminds me a lot of
IMO, Nakamura just represents immaturity and teenage against, while I find Tokigawa hopelessly boring.

This was probably the most intense manga I've ever read up until the timeskip. Everything after the timeskip was anticlimatic garbage. This mangaka knows how to build stuff up, he has no clue how to end it. I'm literally so frustrated at the ending that I can't sleep, I woke up in the middle of the night and here I am.
watermark0Sep 24, 2016 1:40 AM
Oct 5, 2016 7:04 AM

Feb 2015
meh, ephemeral. I'm just compelled as I read it, but after, forgotten. This book is superficial and laden with edgy characters. Unsatisfied.
Oct 8, 2016 10:32 AM
Sep 2016
This was a pretty good manga loved reading the explanations. I guess the explanation of why each character act the way they do is complete with this chapter. This chapter reminded me of what happened at the start and I shudder at how crazy Nakamura, Saeki and Kasuga was in comparison (Saeki is still crazy). The chapters definitely got more normal or mellowed out towards the end and it was good. You could argue that every character got their own happy ending even Nakamura despite her still being crazy.
Oct 9, 2016 12:22 AM

Dec 2014
Great manga, Ill be thinking about it for a long time probably
It really made me think in some moments of how human interaction works.
Really love the second part of it, even more than the first one that was a bit over the top at times, but at the end that's what makes it what it its.
It might have not been a perfect manga but the final picture that gives me is truly impressive, I havent really experience something similar. So, without much detail that is why I give it a 10/10
Also, I thought the ending was the right one, no more, no less, the series is perfect in its own way
Oct 25, 2016 4:33 PM

Sep 2016
The ending kind of disappointed me because it left me with unanswered questions about Nakamura. I wanted to know why does she feel that way. Probably depression and a lot of other things combined, but is there an specific reason? Any trauma she went through? There is no need for explanation though. It's just how I feel.

The problem is... I wanted Takao to stay with Sawa. They loved each other... in a way. He never forgot her. He wanted to make her happy.
Aya Tokiwa was a great person but I think that Sawa had a lot more to do with him. And she ended up lonely. Like she has always been. I also think she didn't really change her ways that much either, maybe she pretended to be happier... and was trying to be normal, fit into society. Also that new hairstyle and the colour... reminds me of Nanako (puke).

(I got confused during the "dream" sequence at first and thought it was another timeskip, but it wasn't.)

I cried an awful lot (more than I ever did with a film or whatever else) with Aku no Hana, because I could relate to so much.

I, myself, am a mix of Nakamura and Kasuga. I am almost Nakamura, except for the part that I don't blackmail/manipulate people, but I am very lonely, and I am a fish out of water basically. I was always the strange kid, and things were worse at school. I act like Kasuga towards the person I like, and it's a bit scary the way that they can control me, really, but I can't help myself.

I don't have the disposition to read all of the posts in this thread, but reading a few, I don't think that Sawa has a poor memory, I think she might have lied. She did that sometimes.
kenjanopropellerOct 25, 2016 7:34 PM
World's dumbest hikikomori.

Proud supporter of Koichi Makigami.
Nov 20, 2016 4:02 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Okay, so as a chapter, this was really good. But it's a misplaced chapter. This should've been in the story earlier and ending it off like this is kinda weird. The second last chapter was a good "ending" chapter. but overall, it was a great series. The first 60% of the series was really messed up, but really intriguing, the last 40% was more slower paced and calmer and it reminded me of Onanie Master Kurosawa's last third a little.

8/10
Nov 24, 2016 7:09 AM

Jan 2013
Damn what an amazing last chapter, seeing how Nakamura was standing in life at the time she found Kasuga sniffing gym clothes.

This entire manga has been a ride, starting from the anime and wanting to know more about the Flower of Evil story ... having to read the manga. (2nd manga finished)

The transformation of Kasuga, the changes Nakamura made after now finding out about her stance in life in this chapter.
The resolution finding Nakamura after a few years again ...

I did expect a big crapstorm of things to come when he would meet up with Nakamura again but the manga did a great job keeping the readers at the edge of their seat.

9/10
Mar 2, 2017 8:38 AM
Nov 2016
U can take ch 57 as OVA
May 4, 2017 12:25 AM

Mar 2015
That is actually a weird way to end the story... but I guess the author did made one on the previous chapter. So this is not something I expected really. But damn, overall, this is an awesome manga. All of the age of coming story from being a shitty MC to a happy dad is just awesome for me. 9/10

May 26, 2017 10:30 AM

May 2015
I'm so disappointed with the ending. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this manga a lot.
8/10
meronnpanSep 2, 2017 5:22 AM
May 29, 2017 5:33 PM

Jan 2009
Trojan_Invasion said:
Unpopular opinion, but the ending (ch58) was amazing for me. I mean, I didn't like the rest of series much, but the final chapter really changed how I viewed Nakamura as a character, I also have a soft spot for coming-of-age stories and this chapter reminded me how it all started.
But chapter 57 would've made a good ending too.

I'm 100% with you. To me, the ending gives credence to the events of the entire story. Go back through the first 33 chapters after you've read the end and the story becomes so much more clear. Kasuga is abnormal, doesn't fit in, yes-- but this chapter shows how Nakamura is just at an entirely different level. It lends power to why Nakamura pushes him off the stage at the last second-- she realizes that he is nowhere near the level of destruction and effed-up-ness (the exact term for this) that he is. Her world and her vision isn't just poetically evil, its literally visually evil.

Changed my rating from a 6 to a 8 at hitting this chapter.
Jun 16, 2017 12:42 PM

Feb 2012
You know, after having read this Manga, I'm relatively content with it's ending. Perhaps I would've liked to have known a bit more of the after-story for Nakamura but that's all.

So many Manga, of this genre, try to end on dark and edgy points but I'm pleased that this had a relatively 'mundane' yet symbolic ending. It was based more in realism.

Overall, I'm very happy to have read Aku no Hana.
"The speck of fear grows in your eyes
You'll meet your death in no disguise
It may come as a small surprise
There will be no compromise for you"

- Nikopol Lyrics, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Jun 16, 2017 8:31 PM

Jul 2012
This must be the weirdest manga I've read this far and I like it. I also like the post time skip part more for whatever reason lol

8/10

I must reread it just to be sure...
Aug 2, 2017 12:17 AM
Jun 2017
It was a total failure as a story because it lacks the courage to end up holding hands of someone yu love. kasuga refuses to be with seikh san so why nakamura holds the hand of kasuga ??? Huh!! doing weird things with him gave her courage and when they both resolve from their past why nakamura lacks the courage to be with him....total failure and implying that nakamura was seriously a shithead who got the right punishment of solitude and as a fan of kasuga i must say he choose the right path for his life as we cannot run forever we have to live...
Aug 5, 2017 11:04 PM

Mar 2014
This is like two different manga in one: part 1 was hilarious yet fucked up; part 2 was one of the sweetest & satisfying romances I've encountered.

7/10
Aug 16, 2017 7:06 PM

Feb 2017
WOW. What an amazing end. Nakamura wasn't my favorite but this really puts into context a lot of her actions.
Nov 20, 2017 2:53 AM

Jan 2017
I put this on hold for a long time and finally after 4 months, I finally had the time to binge read mangas. Actually I've been hesitating to read this again but I'm glad I did what I did. Not the ending I had hoped but still, a great manga.
Dec 3, 2017 4:51 PM
Mar 2017
I really enjoyed the whole manga - my general interpretation is that Aku No Hana is trying to put into fiction the general development which I think happens when you move into your twenties where you stop thinking you are special and comes to terms with the fact you're an ordinary person and that's okay. The "other side" is this dream of execeptionalism which can never be realized and doesn't exist (Saeki points this out when she asks what stealing underwear really does). The story is about Kasuga finally coming to terms that he isn't this special person because he steals underwear, or reads French Poetry or loves Nakamura, he just an ordinary guy. Nakumura I think realises this - thinking orginally that Kasuga was unlike everyone else - and pushes him away. This general theme I think explains the slower pace of the post-timeskip - it mirrors this coming-age transition where life stops being about crazy, unsustainable acts and more about prosaic everyday enjoyment. 10/10 :)
Jan 19, 2018 8:15 AM
Jan 2018
Damm, this manga definitely impacted me in way that nothing will. Im kinda disappointed that it ends, but all good things must come to end. The message of this manga is time goes on whether your fucked up or you fuck up in life TIME MUST SIMPLY GOES ON. You are you, go about your life, make peace with it and definitely not leave things half way or you will be questioning yourself WHY.
Jan 26, 2018 5:13 AM

Jan 2013
Everything from chapter 33 didn't even really need to exist. It's a huge drop in quality and it doesn't even feel like the same series anymore. 1 or 2 chapters nostalgically explaining what would be of our two main chars after the fatidic events of the summer fest would have been enough. 25 chapters of Kasuga being a shit-eater? Just after he got so close to glory? Gimme a fucking break

This series really left me with mixed feelings, I loved the anime, but I could only give it a 9 because they left it unfinished, really it deserves an 8 but I value enjoyment above anything else.

When I finished it, I rushed to the manga for the conclusion, but it wasn't the same. This is because, for me, plot development and the question of "what happens next?" it's important, but not the most important thing for me in a show. As a book lover myself, I tend to say that some of the best books I've read are books in which absolutely nothing happens, like for example La Nausée by Sartre or Ulysses by Joyce, the enjoyment in those books, and also aku no hana anime to some extent, is not so much in what happens, but in the way it's told. BTW this also added a lot to the series from my point of view, you could tell the author really liked literature and that he had multiple sources of different types of influences mixing anime and classic literature.

So I was really torn apart by the fact that, after 4 or 3 years of not watching any anime, this show that I enjoyed so much, was left split, because the events from until chapter 33 are too important to be left out.

Which brings me to my manga score, a 7, much of the drop comes from, inevitably comparing it to the anime, and also making it twice as long as it should be, I'm not saying don't put some fanservice in it explaning the after events, I don't like that but I would be fine with that, but taking almost as long with that fanservice as the first arc did? Feels like a cashgrab. Like everything in the anime world, and the reason why they never finished the adaptation properly, cause it would give them no money, sadly art is a business nowadays. To me this feels like if Evangelion never got the film with the true ending, feels like a punch in the gut. They should've at least released a movie.

Sorry for slight off topic bringing the anime in, I just wanted to vent out my thoughts on the entire thing.

PD: I recommend to any of you the book, Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille, really short but brilliant book, story about two teenagers and their twisted sexual adventures. I'm 100% sure that the mangaka has read it and that it had some influence on him when coming up with aku no hana.
ConfusionHazeJan 27, 2018 10:20 PM
Feb 21, 2018 1:44 PM
Nov 2017
مانجا جميلة جداً
Jan 2, 2019 2:24 PM

Jul 2016
This was one interesting ride. I absolutely loved the beginning of the manga until the conclusion of the Summer Festival incident. I kind of got a bit disappointed things got so calm from there on but it felt like a fitting aftermath to what happened to Kasuga. I expected more chaos and a sad ending, but now that I think about it reasonably, adding more chaos would probably make the manga unrealistic.

This will be one hard to rate manga since the beginning was so relatable and brutal but then took a 360º turn during the second half. I did enjoy this final chapter, I always wondered how it all started and why Nakamura acted like that and now it all makes sense. I feel like I can see a bit of my past and gloomy self in Nakamura and that's why I found the second half of the manga a bit disappointing since she wasn't there for the most part.

I will probably leave this entry unranked for now and will most definitely give it a re-read once my mind calms down. For the moment, I'd say it's good enough to consider re-reading it at least.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jan 30, 2019 9:14 PM
Nov 2018
I guess I'm late to the party, huh?

For me, personally, and I think it is ONE of MANY valid takes on the conclusion: The story was actually the story of Nakamura. Of that girl that is taking a unique and enthusiastic approach at her life, which is not understood by all those shit-eaters, which we all know from our everyday life experience. She is the one tinted in red, with that drive to reach the other side of that mountain, may it be a delusion or not. This, and her mental stability, her place in this world, are the stakes of the series.
Whereas Kasuga is 'just' that one guy, that made Nakamura think, that there might be something like a soul mate for her. A person that thinks like her, that might be able to help her reaching whatever she strives for. (As pointed out multiple time in this thread already, by @davyjones635 for example.)

Taking this point of view, as the bassline for my understanding of this manga, the ending is a "negative" one: Nakamura gives up on the people around her, and she retreats in hiding her real personality from society. Lonely, misunderstood, shut down by her mother, visited by Normie-Kasuga:

We do not get a satisfying ending for Kasuga, because Kasuga is a shit-eating fuckface, that was not able to life up to the expectations, which Nakamura falsly had. Kasuga ending up with a totally unsatisfying, mostly irrelevant ending, just emphasizes the point even more, that Nakamura is far out there.

Even though the story does not end in Nakamuras favor, it yet makes me feel like I can identify with Nakamura to a certain degree. I dont understand her motivations, her goals, or the decisionmaking that made her stop striving for the other side. But I do understand how it feels to be in that situation, where you feel like nobody will ever understand, how many fuckfaces are walking on the surface of this planet. And probably many of you had a similar thought just as well, now and then, didnt you?

Oh and for the shizophrenia meme: I think calling it "just shizophrenia" is the easy way out. For most of her opinions, she had some kind of realistic reasoning or appealed to her very own preferences. So even if she was a bit delusional, as in: She didn't really know, how to approach her problem, or what it would take for others to qualify as "non-shit-eaters", she is still not trapped in a "twisted world", but only in solitude and frustration, seeing that nobody shares her opinion.

I gotta say, that I'm happy that I put my thoughts into words, even if all of you are shit-eaters who dont understand my take on this ;P It feels satisfying to bring those thoughts I had for the last three days to a conclusion, that may still be subject to change.
Aug 4, 2019 5:37 AM
Mar 2016
This was a brilliant ending....because it is a loose end, kinda fitting. Although I do agree that it was better pre-time skip but I still liked it overall.

8/10
Dec 4, 2019 8:16 PM
Aug 2017
MegaUltraTom said:
If you need everything spelled out for you and dislike subtlety, I can understand why someone would hate this ending and this series as a result. For me Aku no Hana is complete. There are no lose-strings.

This ending finally let's us look into Nakamura's mind. She really was "hentai" (perverse), she was lonely, she had demons. You could easily infer she may even have had psychological disorders (delusional, schizophrenic). Based on Chp 53, her mom mentioning she's been calm lately, and considering her poor memory, her preoccupation with the Sun, it's not a stretch to believe she was on anti-psychotic meds.

Kasuga was weird and Nakamura realized that. She thought maybe Kasuga could would be able to understand her, her feelings of disgust at the world, her loneliness, what she was going through with that voice inside her saying "I want out". She wanted him to "tear down his walls", to embrace what she thought they both were. Kasuga was in love with Nakamura and wanted to help her get "to the other side of the mountain", which he thought a public suicide would accomplish. However he just wasn't at her level. She realized no one will able to understand her, not even Kasuga.

In the end, Nakamura couldn't make the world as she wanted it, so she had to adapt and become normal. Kasuga on the other hand really matures and we're encouraged to assume he get's a grip on living a fulfilling life.

copying and pasting some info from http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/106827773/#106858554

Interview with the author, only available in Chinese.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2388666476

>Both Nakamura and Tokiwa are based on author's wife
>Family is an important element in AnK
>Nakamura represents the purest and the most honest form. "If she wants to revolt to the teacher for the sake of it, wouldn't it just be easier to use violence? You see, this alone proves how pure she is "She wasn't trying to be mean when she said "bug". This is how she naturally is.
>Nakamura is not a tsundere
>Hentai is a very special word in AnK, it doesn't mean acts like "stealing panties"
>"If Kasuga really is a genius or pervert, the best ending for him would be suicide, but that wouldn't be what I wanted to write." "If the protagonist didn't perform his ability in his life, what would he become? That's what I wanted to write." Basically the author thought that the first part of AnK was already well expressed in so many literature. The second part of AnK was what he actually wanted to write.
>"Nakamura was very lovely!" when she cried
>Author loves hentai manga. But he wanted to make Nakamura mentally hentai, not physically hentai
>Saeki was a symbol of the mountain, and mountain was a symbol of mother. (Remember both Nakamura and Kasuga wanted to escape the mountain)
>Tokiwa has the same desire as Nakamura deep inside her heart. But the different thing between them is that Tokiwa "accepted the society".
>AnK is a autobiography of the author
I don't know what to say to you but thanks ❤ for explaining everything about the manga. The ending was beautiful and it gives us a great lesson about two different characters and their choices. I guess I'm 3 years late and I really regret that I have passed this one out in the past.
Jan 6, 2020 2:31 PM

May 2015
Chapter 56 was the true ending for me and this chapter was just Nakamura's perspective during that time. That's how I'll see it. Overall this was something different for me to read, but I really enjoyed this series. I'd give it a 9/10.
Jan 9, 2020 9:05 AM

Aug 2019
good read, best oshim ive read so far
laaresurreccionOct 10, 2020 3:27 PM
Jan 26, 2020 2:33 PM
Jan 2020
What happened to Nakamura was nothing short of tragic. I felt really bad for her. She's definitely suffered from some sort of mental illness or a "chemical imbalance" in her brain. Even though she altered the life of Takao and caused him a ton of mental suffering over the years, I still wished for her to have a happy ending. She was a despicable character during the early parts of the story due to her actions and behaviour. But as the story went on, my opinions about her started to change.

I have to be honest, the second half of the story was weaker (in my experience) due to the lack of Nakamura. However, this definitely wasn't the story's fault, but more-so "my fault." I'd grown so attached to her character that all I could think of was "Where is Nakamura? Is she okay? Why hasn't Takao searched for her yet?" But then we get to the chapter where Takao and Tokiwa go back to the old town with the mountains (Gunma Prefecture), my heart was fucking pounding! It was an intense thrill of finally seeing him reunite with Nakamura after 3 years of no contact.

When they finally met Nakamura again, I remember reading those chapters very slowly. I wanted to treasure this reunion as much as possible. I was so happy that Nakamura has finally returned to the story. I savoured every panel and was happy to see her "alive." However, when she told Takao "I'm glad to see that you're a normal human like the rest of them. Please, don't ever come back." That scene broke my fucking heart.

Even though I am happy that Takao has developed as a character and let go of the past, I'm saddened to see Nakamura alone again. Especially after the final chapter where you get to see the inside thoughts of Nakamura, that makes the reader feel sorry for her even more! I'm surprised how deeply moved I was by the story, and specifically Nakamura's character. There was a dream sequence that showed Nakamura reuniting with her father (with a smile on her face), so that eased the pain.

It seems like she was definitely put on some anti-psychotic or SSRI type of medication (after her suicide attempt with Takao). Her mother talked about her being more "calm" these days. After the failed suicide, the authorities probably recommended her to a mental institution where he was evaluated and given medications. They probably thought it was best for her to live with her mother for a change. However, I can't help but feel that she's living a "false" sense of peace. I think the medications are only suppressing her destructive thoughts to a point where she feels calm. But deep down, she still views that the world is full of "shit-eaters."

I've read in an interview that Nakamura and Tokiwa were actually based off the author's wife. So in a way, I'm happy that Nakamura's spirit still lives on in his wife. The author states how his wife used to be like Nakamura but nowadays is more like Tokiwa.

Anyone else feels down because of Nakamura's fate?
Jan 27, 2020 4:39 AM

Jun 2012
I believe that users MegaUltraTom and PantsuPillow thoroughly encapsulated the essence and meaning behind this story, so much so that I don't think I can add anything to the truth. I would like to speculate and wish for a few things though:

If we place Nakamura in state where she actually does have a mental disorder, it reminds me of someone who has a version of Agnosia; like something from the story Saya no Uta in that respect, though with an obviously different context. Is what she sees brought upon as part of an illness, or is it only her perception of the world around her? As her perspective, it would raise certain questions, like...Does she just automatically assume every single person she meets is a "shitbug"? She labels herself and Kasuga as perverts, and therefore can see him and herself as real people, but she couldn't possibly think that no one else falls into a similar category in that town she's in. This is simplified, but digging just a bit into her condition creates more questions than answers. In her case, with no other perspective worldbuilding shown, I think chapter 57 seems to do more harm than good in developing her. It comes off more like she's either just a supremely angsty teen rebelling against everything, or a literal crazy person who does crazy things to try and stave off succumbing to her illness.

I would love to read a story based upon Tokiwa's novel! I have the suspicion that it would be even more interesting than the latter half of this story.

Saeki does some pretty strange things, and since it appeared to not take much to trigger her issues, one would think it would have been noticeable far earlier than what it was. However, since the author himself stated that he has/had problems with girls like her, it was predictable that she'd do some off the wall stuff, lol. I think she displayed the most insanity of anyone in the story, and while she was definitely obsessed with...something, I couldn't call her a true yandere, since she quickly reformed and conformed after the festival incident, not wanting to actually retain Kasuga for herself at all costs.

I don't have much to say about anyone else, though I found Kinoshita's eventual coming to terms with Kasuga's early actions rather contrary to how her character had always been portrayed; she supported her friend Saeki until the end, and Kasuga was the catalyst for their friendship being dissolved.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with a 5 being average, I rate this story as a 7.5; the first 6 volumes were really intriguing, but the dynamic changed quite a bit halfway through the 7th, and though I did like Tokiwa, she wasn't nearly as entertaining as Nakamura as a heroine.
Feb 8, 2020 3:19 AM
Dec 2019
Quite frustrated by the few last pages/panels...

I get the idea behind and the whole thing and checked beforehand to be sure. Still, i have some questions...

Since Sawa see everyone as a dark-flame-shadow thing, the only face she saw was Kasuga in the classroom, ok.
How was she able to know that was Kasuga here...? I mean... for her in her PoV, it was just a random dark-flame-shadow coming back to the class... No indication or whatever for her, no?
Same thing, Sawa seems to be eaten or consumed and turned into <something>, what is that something? Another dark-flame-shadow? Make no sense to me, and yet at that point, Kasuga on his bicycle is not a trigger here.
Does she able to see anyone clearly now, or just Kasuga.

I really loved the whole Sawa PoV thing, but the last pages put more questions than anything else.
Feb 10, 2020 8:00 AM

Jun 2012
Ae_Evolution said:

I get the idea behind and the whole thing and checked beforehand to be sure. Still, i have some questions...

Since Sawa see everyone as a dark-flame-shadow thing, the only face she saw was Kasuga in the classroom, ok.
How was she able to know that was Kasuga here...? I mean... for her in her PoV, it was just a random dark-flame-shadow coming back to the class... No indication or whatever for her, no?
Same thing, Sawa seems to be eaten or consumed and turned into <something>, what is that something? Another dark-flame-shadow? Make no sense to me, and yet at that point, Kasuga on his bicycle is not a trigger here.

I really loved the whole Sawa PoV thing, but the last pages put more questions than anything else.

Whether Sawa sees people literally as shit monsters, or if it's just how she views them in general, we don't really know. I'm going to place this as a dual analysis because I don't really know if Sawa is actually crazy and hallucinates or not. The shit people even make 'squick' noises as they walk, so I think "dark flame shadows" is not quite accurate. It's more like the haze around them is a kind of toxic fumes or metaphorical corruption.

It's alluded to that Sawa watched Kasuga's brief 'emergence' when she first noticed the "shitbug" that he is return to the classroom and sniff Saeki's gym bag.

Towards the end of this chapter, which is actually the beginning of the story, Sawa is on the verge of succumbing to whatever either illness or frame of mind threatens to consume her. To her, it's like either going batshit insane or conforming to societal norms to the extent that she loses her sense of self in it. She is brought back from the brink of despair by Kasuga's arrival, because now she has something, someone perverted to focus her energy upon.
Feb 10, 2020 10:15 AM
Dec 2019
DevLog said:
Ae_Evolution said:

Whether Sawa sees people literally as shit monsters, or if it's just how she views them in general, we don't really know. I'm going to place this as a dual analysis because I don't really know if Sawa is actually crazy and hallucinates or not. The shit people even make 'squick' noises as they walk, so I think "dark flame shadows" is not quite accurate. It's more like the haze around them is a kind of toxic fumes or metaphorical corruption.

It's alluded to that Sawa watched Kasuga's brief 'emergence' when she first noticed the "shitbug" that he is return to the classroom and sniff Saeki's gym bag.

Towards the end of this chapter, which is actually the beginning of the story, Sawa is on the verge of succumbing to whatever either illness or frame of mind threatens to consume her. To her, it's like either going batshit insane or conforming to societal norms to the extent that she loses her sense of self in it. She is brought back from the brink of despair by Kasuga's arrival, because now she has something, someone perverted to focus her energy upon.

Thanks for your answer.
And yep, i get the dual analysis thing.
Yet, if i remember correctly, we have just (from Sawa PoV) not saw ANYONE without that aura. (except Kasuga on the last chapter, and still, was it from her PoV?)

That still doesn't explain some stuff, and that's why i'm having hard time with that ending. (even if i've really enjoy the story as a whole)
Mar 3, 2020 7:54 PM

Feb 2017
What a great ride. I was too emotional and a bit anxious while reading this, so it's most likely that I'd re-read it sooner or later. Love it
Apr 2, 2020 3:54 AM

Sep 2017
well that was a good read, though im still pissed about what happened to saeki.. poor girl

atleast tokiwa won the race

7/10
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 40 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2013

49 by ANONYMOUS_YUKINO »»
May 31, 12:52 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 58 Discussion

ShinoAsada - May 19, 2014

33 by Rexnihilo »»
May 15, 5:18 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 56 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Spider-titan55 - Apr 8, 2014

86 by Rexnihilo »»
May 15, 5:10 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 30 Discussion

notsureifsrs - Jun 18, 2012

44 by ramennights »»
May 15, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

SOUUMA - Mar 7, 2014

71 by Rexnihilo »»
May 15, 5:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.