Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 15, 2014 10:40 AM

Jul 2008
I liked seeing the seiyuu/idols in the preview. The rest of the episode was meh.
Jan 15, 2014 11:39 AM

Aug 2012

Pantsu shot :))
Jan 15, 2014 12:17 PM
Feb 2012
While I kept telling myself to not forget what kind of idol show this was, I ended up being happy for the girls. Seeing that piece of shit enter the story at the end was a harsh way to remind me of that needed mindset.
Ooh this show will play with my feelings, that much I can already tell. An early contender for best show of the season, though. Very enjoyable overall.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 15, 2014 1:34 PM
Oct 2012
Mich666 said:
first episode was kinda repeating the movie but it was nice. I presume Sudo is going to be saying bye-bye next time as those bikini are no-no. Manager will have to do it the hard way. I wonder how they will compare to other girl band in the end.

Why would bikini's be a "no no", they showed that Mayu and the rest of I-1 dressed in bikinis before they made it big, and the AKB48 members are often in bikinis, so far from being a "no no", it may be something they need to do if they want to make it big.

And to be honest that is what I liked best about this show. The idol business is not sugar and rainbows, it is sleazy and a cut-throat business with people waiting to exploit you (including your fellow singers, one has to find someone to work up into the top 12 or whatever number needed to be a singer in a large girl group. This show has at least a touch of reality to it, from extremely nasty fans to sleazy producers, welcome to the real world.
Jan 15, 2014 3:44 PM

Apr 2007
This show reminds me of a BBC documentary I watched called Nine Muses of Star Empire - it followed around a Korean idol group for a year for a look at what it takes to make it as an idol. (If anyone's interested, it's on youtube) So far, though, the girls in Wake Up Girls! haven't faced as much hardship as the real girls of Nine Muses, but if this show continues to portray the idol industry with some realism I'm going to be looking forward to the rest.
Jan 16, 2014 1:58 AM
Mar 2013
First episode was decent. If someone skipped the movie and went directly into the first episode, it would probably feel mediocre. I liked the movie a lot, so, I watched the first episode with that positive mood, so, it helped. The toughness of the idol life is interesting. For once, it's not something like "Idols are super popular, super busy, and that's the whole hardship the need to endure" and covers the path to such sky high profiles.

I don't know what might follow next. Maybe they will have to put up with that Sudo freak and work with him for a while. It's not easy to say no when you have almost no chance of survival elsewhere, so, it wouldn't be far-fetched for them to agree. If anything, Matsuda is more likely to shut this offer down. He's way too inexperienced as a manager to see things from a business-only perspective so fast, if I might say so.
Jan 16, 2014 2:21 AM
Oct 2012
ED is really good IMO
yah i feel like this show is trying to show the darker side of the idol world and how you have to use sex appeal to win over the industry. the girls are very innocent at the start only wanting to see the hollywood of it, mayu already seems to be expecting this since she has seen prior success

the difference in characters seem to be very important as well and they make it very obvious such as every1s different opinion at the restaurant

seems like a darker show actually ,not comedy like love live
Jan 16, 2014 5:39 AM
Sep 2013
The story really remind me of AKB48 dark story back then, and seeing wake up, girls! together with I1-club is just like seeing the 2 type of AKB at the same time.

This is the 3rd time i watch idol-themed anime so i expect much from this since it doesnt have weird/annoying things inside it. the first one is idol with mecha which had a deep story (tbh 0048 would be better without those robot), the second one is love live but the seiyuu kinda makes my ear hurt and the story is too happy.

favorite so far: Katayama Minami
Jan 16, 2014 8:20 AM

Aug 2013
Loved the OP and ED. Repeating some scenes from the movie exactly wasn't a really good idea... they cudv at least change the angle etc. This episode kinda reminded me of idolmaster, about how its a new group and a unexperienced manager etc. And I do agree with most of you it is a dark side idol anime, I hope it dosent get too dark >.> idol animes are suppose to fun and happy ^.^.

I have watched akb0048, idolmaster, macross frontier, lovelive and I would say so far WUG is better than idolmaster and lovelive ( loving akb0048 and macross frontier 4eva <333)

The ending where that thug ass guy comes in and says wear those bikinies and panties and immeadiattly i was like NOOOO please dont turn this into such a fan-service anime >.>. Well it is normal for idol animes to have the main characs wear swim wear but if the thug guy takes control of the group and decides to sell the group with their body instead of their music and performace I am so going to be dissapointed..

WUG is my most expecting anime this season and I can tell already its not getting a lot of attention. To ALL who already dropped this please give it a try "dont judge a book by its cover!!!"
Jan 16, 2014 10:24 AM

Jun 2011
Tyrel said:
>Well then, try this on first.
>Swimsuits

Please.

This is why I say, wearing pantsu is a bad idea, even worse, showing them in their debut live.

Can I fap to this?

Almost drop, but I am interested to see what happens next.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 16, 2014 10:36 AM

Sep 2010
Pretty good shit.....
Jan 17, 2014 2:34 AM

Aug 2013
I didn't notice the fan service Because I skipped the song lol , It was good sequel for the movie but that boss is seriously irresponsible person -_-.

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Jan 18, 2014 7:54 AM

May 2010
Yup, I really am in love with the opening song.

Okay, I love this. This has some good potential. 8/10 for now.
Jan 18, 2014 7:37 PM

Sep 2011
It was a OK first episode. It's mandatory to see the movie.
The movie/prequel was really interesting.
Jan 20, 2014 1:54 AM

May 2012
09:26 "Tenchou!"

17:20 bad news

7/10. Were those Sendai sceneries in the ED clip?
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jan 20, 2014 11:20 AM

Jul 2012
I'm not really a fan of Idols and pop stuff so not sure if this is something I will continue watching.

All I can say for now is that the art was subpar, but the concert scene was well made.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jan 27, 2014 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

To be honest I did not want to see it, because it gave me the impression of a generalized exaggerated savings. But, I must admit, I see some seriousness in the plot and I was also attracted by those working on the project.
Narration calm, not the usual stories sweetened with so much moe to make a corollary.
Drawings really skinny, animations not the best in certain situations, rather good during the performance on stage.
For now, rest buttoned on judgment, I await the next episodes.
Overall rating of 7/10!
Jan 31, 2014 3:19 PM

Apr 2012
Tyrel said:
>Well then, try this on first.
>Swimsuits

Please.
Feb 1, 2014 5:43 PM
Dec 2012
panty is suppose to be forbidden area lol well at least it's a show who doesn't defy gravity
May 2, 2014 8:21 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice catch up from the movie prequel, I really wonder what the whole series will offer us so let's see what's next!
Jun 7, 2014 3:35 PM

Dec 2012
I wish I knew how to make gifs, but this made me laugh so hard because Kaya started talking and Nanami's mouth is still hanging open. A mistake like this would bother me but that expression is just too adorable.

Anyway this was an ok follow up to the movie. It felt a tad bit bleak but I was glad to see their movie performance again. The way the girls interact feels kind of awkward but at the same time makes more sense than being hyper-moe intimate. I also notice that with the exception of Miyu, most of the girls sound more grounded in reality and don't sound like they were groomed to be as kawaii as possible.

That was pretty funny with the random deliveries at the end but I'm not liking this Sudo guy's first impression. He seems like one of those smug bastards who wants to take advantage of desperately low end amateurs but hopefully that's just me being too cynical.

The next ep previews are fun, it's nice to see the voices behind the girls.
ZekkenshinJun 7, 2014 3:39 PM
Jul 25, 2014 4:53 PM

Apr 2008
Pantyshorts in an idol anime, no thnx.

Jan 24, 2017 12:05 PM

Jul 2014
Ah yes, basically a summation of the movie, though I highly recommend people watch the movie before diving in. What's with the swimsuit on the table? I smell more shady deals ahoy...
Apr 29, 2020 10:46 AM

Feb 2018
Nice performance...
Aug 13, 2020 8:31 PM
Jul 2018
This one, along with Love Live and BanG Dream, are some of the few idol anime I've seen. But recently I want to start watching Wake Up, Girls.
Sep 4, 2020 10:21 PM
Jul 2018
The girl Nico Nico nii with long pigtails. lol

The first anime is idols in showing (even if only a little) some fan service. It was very strange at the beginning why they danced like that but already when I saw the producer arrive...
Sep 7, 2020 9:22 PM
Sep 2020
I was very curious about the way the Wake Up Girls "accidentally" did the dance by showing their panties. But well, I guess they wanted to do something different from the other groups like LoveLive, Idolsm@ster or the new one from Lapis Re:lights. An innovation. lol
Jun 12, 2021 2:58 PM

Feb 2020
I already liked the movie and the first episode of the actual series was also pretty good.

SerafosMar 10, 11:14 PM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2014

59 by Rakabat »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2014

107 by koneroko »»
May 2, 2022 11:33 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2014

100 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 9:20 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2014

40 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 8:40 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2014

47 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 6:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.