Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 11, 2013 10:15 AM

Mar 2010
Dodgers20 said:

I am aware that Bake was the introductory phase of the story and it was meant to set the stage up for future developments, it's just that Sengoku's arc in Bake was the only one for me that didn't delivered this kind of punch, it felt more like a side-story with a random victim than an actual story arc whose events and main character could play a larger role in the future. Up to this point I thought this was because that arc was written half-heartedly, but it appears I was hasty with my judgement as an anime-only viewer, because this is actually the first time I heard that Shaft changed Nadeko Snake this much (aside of making the TV version atrocious production value-wise). I admit I was lazy when I said Otori deserves bonus credit compared to Neko:Shiro (even though I still prefer these two arcs over Kabuki, no matter how much I liked it), but even so, that doesn't take my impression away that the arc has changed my opinion about Sengoku, and it made me appriciate her just as much as the vast majority of the characters. And that includes the curiousity of learning about the character as well, instead of whining about "aw, why she's the main character?" or "when will x or y show up?".

Well, to be fair, Kabuki was toned down, most of the parts. The relevant and irrelevant parts, leaving only the most important parts of the story.
Oct 26, 2013 10:51 PM

Apr 2009
So, indeed the "moeblob" act is intentional for Nadeko's character. She's not cute and radiating "moe" just because the creator/director/scriptwriter felt like it. It's her own way of dealing with the world - a defensive measure as Shinobu seemed to suggest. This... inherent duplicity. "Snake" is indeed an appropriate animal symbol for her. Nadeko looks a lot less one-dimensional (according to her critics) now after taking all this into account.

Really love how Monogatari Second shakes things up by setting up conversations with people who otherwise wouldn't have talked to each other back in the prequels. This has been happening pretty much the entire show, and now it's Nadeko and Shinobu's turn.
Nov 3, 2013 2:30 PM

Sep 2011
Ok, IMO, the weakest girls of all of them are Nadeko or Tsukihi, maybe the turquoise hair loli(side character, almost).

But dat breakdown, lulz was generated.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Nov 10, 2013 11:10 PM

Sep 2012
And we now know why Nadeko dressed plainly...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 24, 2013 6:00 PM

Oct 2012
I wonder if Koyomi creeps on his sleeping sisters every night?

Vampire Punch!
Jan 5, 2014 1:05 AM

Oct 2012
Lol "The bed's big enough for both of us"
"Kyuuketsuki punch!!"

In short I finally knew why he wants to search for Nadeko in the middle of night xD

Kaka kakaka kakakakakakaka~
Oh, Shinobu's sarcasm was too harsh xD
"Signature removed"
Jan 9, 2014 9:45 AM

Oct 2012
That snake sure take a lot...nice sand castle Nadeko. That vampire punch sure was good and that black dress look gorgeous on Shinobu, the tokyo bill was nearly violated ? Wait wasn't it already being violated with Shinobu and Nisemonogatari ? Whatever...great episode in overall.
Jan 16, 2014 5:10 PM

May 2011
Lmao Shinobu was just fantastic in this episode. Dat vampire punch <3 and I actually sort of enjoyed watching her grill Nadeko like that. And I am really loving the OP and ED for this arc as well.
Jan 18, 2014 4:46 PM

May 2012
Nadeko Sengoku :3 well things sure seem interesting so let's see what's next!
Jan 19, 2014 3:05 PM
Apr 2011
i laughed at the 4th wall breaking reference to the tokyo bill

i'm assuming that was part of the original dialog and not added in by commie?

http://puu.sh/6qZ2j.jpg
Jan 20, 2014 12:57 PM

Dec 2009
Shinobu is quite harsh on Nadeko, but i think she's right. Good episode.
Jan 24, 2014 6:12 PM

Apr 2012
Fer said:
Shinobu is quite harsh on Nadeko, but i think she's right. Good episode.

But Nadeko lied to Koyomi to avoid worrying him. Isn't that the exact opposite of playing the victim?
Apr 8, 2014 10:18 AM

May 2010
Stitches327 said:
Shinobu's breakdown of Nadeko's character was awesome. That back and forth was quite nice and shed some much needed light on Nadeko's character. Shinobu giving Araragi an uppercut was great, had me laughing. This was 5/5 episode for me.

This.

Kakakakaka. Amusing laugh as usual. XD
Apr 13, 2014 6:54 AM

Oct 2013
the snakes request seems reasonable enough, but why did it start ignoring her when she was in koyomi's room. weird.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Apr 15, 2014 7:04 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, Shinobu, you one cold-hearted woman. ''You're not atrocious, you're worse than that, you're an abomination'', I wonder if Shinobu understood that she was ''possessed by that white snake. Why would he have suddenly stopped talking if not? But still, she was so amazing, the way she started talking so friendly and turned slowly to become ultra sarcastic and bitter... ''Vampire punch!''

For a moment, I really thought Araragi had no perverse idea behind the head. What a fool I am xD

The white snake is one funnay troll : ''I think it might be a disfunctionment'' :P

Nadeko is such an interresting character. She is so vulnerable and manipulable, yet, in the beginning scene of the arc, she looked so confident and merciless. She's so cute, but the snake represent her perfectly when associated with the forbidden fruit... She's a problem magnet.
minouneetzoeApr 15, 2014 7:07 PM
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 3, 2014 6:53 AM

Mar 2014
Nadeko is becoming more and more dependent to Koyomi . its like turning She beginning to love deeply koyomi more than the other girls love . Yandere's love!? maybe.
She became good buddies with the snake lol .. just be careful about it.
Secret technique words ...
I haven't thought for a while that sengoku was so cute .. damn..
She is a Class representative!? WTF is that stupid reason .. She got the short end of the stick.
Is her classmates are shitty enough to be like that!? also That Stupid teacher ..
Process of elimination .. Dull process I believe. Charm-addicted pathetic people is the fault.
I am on the serpent's side for a while . He got some smart sharp tongue at the least.
Forcing hard jobs on a single person!? Is this how stupid society nowadays!?
White lies Sengoku....
Don't beat around the bush too much.. its not good for you sengoku..
I find shinobu's adult form beautiful enough compared to her loli form. (but she's cute in it.)
Good Episode!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2014 7:51 PM
Dec 2011
I didn't really like Nadeko's character in the Bakemonagatori season, mainly because she was associated with a snake type oddity.

(Besides the fact that snakes are not appealing whatsoever, I can't seem to find any significant meaning/connection between the two)

But this episode changed my opinion completely. Not about the snake, but we got to see more thorough examination of Nadekos personality. Through the conversation between (it was more like 1 sided ...) the snake oddity and Shinobu.

Eudaimonia's post was a really nice and accurate dissection. Thanks for the insight.
Jul 4, 2014 1:12 AM

Sep 2013
one of the best episodes this season.
wow
Jul 13, 2014 3:38 PM

Nov 2012
Nuuu, we didn't get to see kimono Nadeko!
Aug 14, 2014 4:05 PM

Jan 2014
i am far from understanding how people can find 1000+ comments in SAO discussions but there are only 100+ posts in Monogatari threads...
Jan 4, 2015 5:23 PM

Jan 2013
Love the character break down Shinobu did. The snake is hilarious. Anime proves again that Shinobu and Araragi have great chemistry as characters. Also HanaKana did an amazing job as Nadeko
Feb 28, 2015 7:45 AM

Nov 2011
Episode flowing so quiet, no narrative twists, dialogued and very inquisitive soul of Nadeko.
Usable in all, not bad the appearance of Shinobu who seems to have a grudge against Sengoku.
Kakakakaakka
Mar 15, 2015 8:00 AM

May 2014
Nadeko is such a bad liar. They totally got the situation she is in. I guess is imposible for such a cute being to be a good liar. More precisely "the 2nd cutest" after Shinobu xD
Apr 1, 2015 7:42 PM

Jun 2014

Anyone noticed how shinobu doesn't appear in the mirror? Pretty cool detail.
May 16, 2015 12:31 PM

Dec 2013
Fucking rekt, m8.

Shinobu is much more amazing than I remember her.
Aug 14, 2015 5:44 PM

Jul 2014
At this point, I realized that Monogatari really is a slideshow.

1/5
Sep 27, 2015 6:28 PM

Sep 2014
Stay like that if you want, you ignorant devil you~. Ep 13.

Plot: Nadeko "seeks to help" Kuchinawa the Snake find his body, his celestial thingy. Doesn't go that well. She then meets with Koyomi on her search and he brings her back to his home to rest for the night. Nadeko then gets a very frank telling by Shinobu on her "cuteness" that raises many questions.

Character:I have to agree with Eudaimonia on Nadeko's flaws and the fact that even Kuchinawa commenting on them is funny. The part where Shinobu mentions that it was like Nadeko was reading from a script was a telling moment, especially for me who takes moments to read those annoying black/red/color scenes and spotting the word script in them. Where this takes Nadeko will be a sight to see.

ANimation/sound: Kuchinawa continues to be creepy as all else. THough I don't really like snakes due to their creepy movements. The VAMPIRE PAWNCH was awesomely hilarious and a life saver.

4/5. Bit slower here but great for character beats. BTW WTF Koyomi, I can agree Nadeko is cute but seriously man, REIN IT IN!

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Oct 18, 2015 2:19 PM

Oct 2012
Ok, so this is something that was hidden under many layers of this episode and I presume many people won't get it but this story is actually about how almost noone thinks about given "truths" that were inculcated into us by society and how hard it actually is to think out of the box in a way we are not used to, right? This arc may actually be the hardest one to understand then.

And the best we can do is to view her dialogue with serpent as her own inner monologue when she is asking herself questions while getting angry when thinking about answers.

The motto "Follow the crowd and don't try to differ" is actually something very relevant for modern day Japan. This may as well serve as critique of the system.

The fact that Nadeko is prez was quite surprising though, I wouldn't expect it.

The hint that she is conveniently using her position of victim rather than actually being a victim is also something interesting to think about.

And of course, Shinobu was great as always.
Jan 14, 2016 11:16 AM

Sep 2015
I can't get enough of Shinobu's laugh.

Kakakakakakaka
May 2, 2016 4:38 AM

Jul 2008
Nadeko is cute but damn she just can't climb to the top.
Aug 27, 2016 11:10 AM

Aug 2013
Ka ka ka... few minutes of Shinobu beats the whole episode of Nadeko-chan.
She's not acting cute from the way I see it, she's much better before.
Shinobu is really shining this season woohoo.
Sep 22, 2016 12:57 PM

Apr 2013
What is Nadeko doing, that seems so dumb not to tell Koyomi about it. Also Shinobu easily saved this episode, though I didn't like that she punched Koyomi :P
Nov 15, 2016 9:13 PM

Sep 2015
Vampire punch! Lol was funny in the end when Shinobu was dragging Araragi away
Mar 15, 2017 2:03 AM

Oct 2014
shinobu's "i just saved you from becoming a mother at your age" had me dying of laughter
May 4, 2017 10:15 AM

Apr 2015
Heh. Araragi, you damn lolicon...

Where'd the snake go?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 25, 2017 3:07 PM
May 2012
shinobu.....what the hell are you on about?
Aug 21, 2017 2:46 AM

Dec 2015
Koyomi STILL perving on his sisters lmao. More real talk, this time from Shinobu who essentialy echoed what Ougi said. Character development for each arc has been the strongest point of this series thus far, really hoping to see how things will go for Sengoku.
~
Oct 7, 2017 9:08 AM

Jun 2016
Oh, it's the moment of the most useless character in the entire Monogatari series. Loljk.

I guess they didn't successfully got rid of that Serpent on Nadeko and she's still head over heels for Araragi.

And Serpent asked Nadeko to look for his body and then escaped their house at night, and Araragi found her since he got worried. Fucking Araragi, why are you so kindhearted?!!? Good lord.

Pervert Araragi strikes again. Hahahaha. Shinobu, knocked him out. I'm so dead. Lmao. Shinobu being a savage at Nadeko. I liked that. Pfffffft.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Apr 24, 2018 4:42 PM

Dec 2016
Sengoku will really go to extremes to not be seen as victim, especially by Araragi, which by the first five minutes of episode 12 seem to really fuck her over, which is usually what happens to most people who refuse help due to not wanting to look weak or whatever other reason they come up with.
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 7, 2018 4:21 PM

May 2018
Shinobu is so perfect ... I love seeing her break Nadeko with her words ...

This arc is getting better XD

5/5
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Feb 11, 2019 1:52 PM

Jul 2012
Hmm. I don't have much to comment on, as I don't really have a firm grasp of how I feel about Nadeko yet. I know she has some bad qualities, but at the same time, I feel like I sympathize with her? Maybe? Not sure.

Kano said:

Anyone noticed how shinobu doesn't appear in the mirror? Pretty cool detail.

Nice catch!
Feb 19, 2019 7:09 AM

Jun 2017
Shinobu-chan <3 is really cute with that dress and that Kyuuketsuki -punch was really deserved by Araragi, lol!
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Apr 29, 2019 6:37 AM
Apr 2016
Hell Sengoku should stop lying so much, goddamn. Shinobu scolded her well though, still, I think that that's causing Sengoku a lot of stress, feel like she might break any moment...
May 18, 2019 1:43 AM

Dec 2018
I could say that more or less the cause is the same as Tsubasa.

There's starting point of fighting back inside of Nadeko.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jul 3, 2019 12:29 PM

Sep 2017
Surprised Nadeko was able to lie to her dear Koyomi-oniichan. Not sure how the snake is able to take the form of whatever those things are called, but I won't bother questioning it. Why do they change shoes? Anyone here know? I wouldn't describe someone talking their wrist as pitiful. It would just be weird. He knows nothing about his corpse, lol. The teacher is an asshole. That's your responsibility you fuckwit. Don't shove it onto a junior high girl. The fact that false alarms will be a thing will likely making finding the corpse next to impossible, won't it? What if the corpse is on the other side of the planet or something? That was a damn good sandcastle. I have a gut feeling Araragi is on to Nadeko and is just putting up with her act. Shinobu definitely has to know. Araragi was five minutes from ending up in a jail cell. Shinobu > Nadeko. Yeah, Shinobu definitely knows.
Jul 22, 2019 11:13 PM

May 2015
Shinobi went for the overkill there
Also Nadeko in pajamas *hnnnng*
Sorry I'm becoming Araragi
Mar 6, 2020 4:51 PM
Review Moderator
Mar 2018
Shinobu's laugh lol. Interesting how the show is dissecting Nadeko's character.

Floating Around...

"You're loved as deeply as the ocean reaches"

Aug 26, 2020 11:00 PM
Mar 2018
shinobu convo with nadeko felt like an interrogation. i like it. and ngl man, kuchinawa or snake dude, i forgot his name, he is kinda cool. his dont give a fuck attitude is exactly what is missing in nadeko, who is way too reserved and gotta get some confidence.
HotPocketChrisAug 26, 2020 11:08 PM
Sep 14, 2020 9:27 AM

Apr 2019
Shinobu and the snake dude dissection of Nakeko's character makes her more interesting I find.

I'm actually really liking this snake fella, sure he's manipulating Nadeko and using her to his advantage, but his attitude just kinda wins you over ya know? Plus the OST just makes him cooler when he's talking.

Sep 15, 2020 10:43 PM

Jun 2020
"Vampire punch" Shinobu was so cute when she said that and the reunion of Araragi and Nadeko.

I have nothing to say about this so I'm just gonna say it was a good episode=>
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

418 by SouthRzVa »»
May 25, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2013

296 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 24, 5:17 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Barion-Zara - Nov 8, 2013

122 by SouthRzVa »»
May 23, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2013

434 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 23, 2:04 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2013

212 by eblf2013 »»
May 22, 3:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.