Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Sep 25, 2013 9:14 PM

Feb 2013
Compared to the averageness of the first two movies, after watching this one I can say: "I wan't to see what happens next!" ... too bad there isn't any more. The first two might as well not even exist. They're pointless in comparison.

I was expecting just another mediocre bloodbath, but instead got a dose of twisted darkness and some really disturbing ... "stuff". I was a bit disappointed Guts didn't have his own sword through that whole eclipse thing though. He could have done so much better.

I think they did a great job conveying Griffith's evil at the end... he doesn't say a word, but those eyes say it all. Even the lead-up, where he is one step from being dead, his arm breaking when he fell... that was quite extreme as well.

I liked it!
Sep 27, 2013 3:24 PM

Dec 2008
This gets a 10 from me just because I got to see Guts's naked ass!

Surely, the movies will keep coming, right? There are SEVERAL more arcs that NEED animation.
Oct 1, 2013 5:35 PM

Apr 2012
this was lovely stuff. The Skull Knight was bordering on deus ex machina but I expect that's just an adaptation issue so forgivable. Easily redeems the fairly aimless middle third.

I'll probably even give the series another go now.

Hope they're able to produce another trilogy ASAP.
Oct 17, 2013 1:12 PM
Nov 2008
So much bitching here...

As someone who watched the series twice and read the manga 3 times - These were just fine.
CGI - meh, but the series had half minute still frames and whatnot...
Sound, voice acting, music - all great. New VAs did a great job (though I liked the old ones better).
Story - adapted amazingly well in my opinion. Lots of cuts, but you can't expect a 1:1 adaptation when the source material is so vast. There were a few scenes that I'd have liked to see even so (Guts and Caska on the hill looking down at the army camp at night for example), but it worked without them.
When things get adapted to the big screen they get murdered to a bigger or lesser degree. Everyone knows that. It's the changes that you have to worry about And botched pacing. And lousy acting etc. etc.
In that respect the movies did more than fine.
Oct 28, 2013 1:12 AM
Aug 2011
I am adding a new parameter of "sex scene".

That was intense as always.

Sound 10/10
Animation 10/10 (finally, it didn't feel off)
Story 10/10 (I don't compare it to manga or the original series)
Enjoyment 10/10
Sex scene 10/10
Nov 10, 2013 4:44 AM

Jan 2012
everything is 11/10 except for CGI part

goddammit why isn't there more...

I might actually try to follow this on manga.... if there're not planning on more animation...

sigh...
Jan 12, 2014 8:40 PM

Aug 2011
Some may think The Golden Age arc is the best but I find everything after to be much more exciting and entertaining. These movies were really unnecessary for anyone who watched the TV series already. Do yourself a favor and start reading the manga. Hope someone continues to animate the rest of Berserk.
Jan 25, 2014 12:56 AM

Oct 2008
GoGo_Dominatrix said:
This gets a 10 from me just because I got to see Guts's naked ass!

Wooooo!!!

This made me feel better. That NTR fucked me up man..

Apr 8, 2014 5:12 AM

May 2010
wow this was better than the other 2 movies and its also my favorite part int he anime aswell. i think there were a few scenes that were not in the anime..or i just didnt notice them.

the action scenes look great and i really got used to the cgi after the first 2 movies.it looked much more fluid compared to the first movie.

started reading the manga a few days ago..man the first chapters are long :D

9/10
Apr 16, 2014 9:26 AM

Oct 2013
In the series they didn't show that Casca and Guts got saved and that Casca got brain damaged. Overall 10/10 I loved it.

Apr 24, 2014 2:55 AM

Apr 2011
Definitely better than the TV series. I felt having a friend doing this to you, is the WORST! Still Griff was badass to leave everything behind and stand on his own. I wonder if that will later apply to the fellow demon lords or GOD himself will be taken down by this man?

Looking forward to the next arc or follow up OVA like Hellsting :D
May 15, 2014 2:46 PM

Jan 2013
WTF?
May 15, 2014 3:43 PM

Jan 2013
que odio
que merda
May 28, 2014 1:12 AM

Jul 2008
Well that was brutal, not as brutal as the manga, but cmon that was horrifying. They left out a few parts of the rescue that I would have liked to have seen however I can get over it. It was not perfect but it was faithful to the manga and that's all I can ask.

8/10
Aug 3, 2014 1:24 PM

Apr 2014
A big improvement compared to the previous 2 movies. I hope the rest of the manga will get animated as well, but with either no or better CGI.
your waifu is shit
Dec 25, 2014 7:18 AM

Oct 2014
Instead of criticizing I'm going just going to accept as it is. I still prefer the Manga and the original series, but like someone mentioned before its freaken Berserk. Just glad they decided to give us something.
Dec 27, 2014 5:25 PM
Oct 2008
Who the hell had the idea to compress one of the best Story Arcs of Manga in General and ham-fistedly stuff it all in 3 Movies

6/10
Dec 27, 2014 9:06 PM
Oct 2009
I thought this movie was really well done all things considered. all the important things were animated and they eased up on the CG. The director really brought the manga to life with a nice cinematic eye.

I think they should've made this a OVA series like Hellsing Ultimate so they could animate the entire manga without losing any of the story and quality. But for a film trilogy, they did a pretty good job.
Feb 22, 2015 2:40 PM

Aug 2013
In hindsight one of the things I didn't like about the Eclipise was the lack of how expressive Guts was physically in the films compared to the anime (a big part of this is the limits of the 3d rendering). When Guts hears Gaston cry out for him in the anime Guts turns around with this desperate smile on his face with wide eyes like "Yes there's someone still alive!". Idk I felt like that was lost in the film.
May 12, 2015 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
This was easily the best film in the trilogy, no questions asked. Extremely gruesome and hard to watch, which in this case isn't a bad thing. The Eclipse was done better here than in the anime series imo. The first half was also incredibly emotional, I felt so bad for Griffith. And then when he turns into Femto and rapes Casca.... Holy shit that scene... And then Guts cutting off his arm, it was all so f*cking graphic. I watched the 18+ version, right? Because if I didn't, I'm scared to know what the 18+ version is even like.
I'm freaking tired right now so I'm having a hard time explaining my thoughts, but damn this was an amazing film. I can't compare it to the manga yet, but I think that at least the eclipse portion of the film is definitely better than how it was in the TV series, infinitely more brutally disgusting.
Also, Skull Knight is f*cking cool. I also loved how they went beyond the Eclipse, and showed how Guts and Casca were saved by Skull Knight. Casca lost her memory ;__;
The story of The Black Swordsman begins.
removed-userMay 12, 2015 8:17 PM
May 24, 2015 2:19 PM

Jan 2010
First, the good. I truly enjoyed seeing the parts that weren't featured in the television series, and it was nice seeing Puck thrown in there for good measure. Also, the amount of pure malice in this movie was just seething through my screen. Holy crap.

However, the beginning was noticeably rushed, but that wasn't my biggest problem with this film, which is something I relate to horror games like Silent Hill. The part when they're transported into the other world actually did freak me out in the television series. Perhaps it's because it was older, but everything was so visibly dark and limited, you couldn't see a blasted thing, much less the monsters. Furthermore, because everything was less detailed, you couldn't see what was going on, and even if you did, it was hard to tell what it was. The monsters were also more freaky, since you couldn't see all of them. The world itself was also a deep red, rather than the blue we have here.

What happens as a result is too much flashiness. Again, relating it to Silent Hill, there's a sense of it all being far too detailed, aided by modern-day animation tech. That's nice, and I truly appreciate it for the large battles between human armies, but it doesn't translate well when fighting demons. If anything, these films seem to focus more at showing off gore and sex. While they were also present in the television series, here it's in full view and receive far more emphasis than to my liking.

Another thing is the manner which Griffith acted after being released. In the television series, he seemed like a marionette with its strings cut. Even before his transformation, he didn't seem human anymore. I couldn't fully understand what was going through his head. Here, he's both conscious and aware of what's going on. His eyes are still human, and the film shows what he's thinking. It's a small thing, but by the time he makes a decision to sacrifice the Band of the Hawk, the film visually cues him into making the choice. I would have preferred it to be less grandiose and either something abrupt or something decided while he was still within his inner monologue. But, that is just my preference.

This film trilogy wasn't bad. In fact, much of it was very enjoyable. It didn't do anything wrong, nor did it take any missteps. Perhaps though, its weakness was doing too much? It's hard to say, but the graphic nature of Berserk actually felt like a hindrance. A distraction. Overly glorified to the point where that's all I really remember. My favorite part of Berserk thus far is the dynamic between Guts, Griffith, and Casca. It's a shame that the graphic content had to drive the dynamic, instead of the other way around.
Jun 5, 2015 7:37 PM

Feb 2015
If anything, this movie was only required to extend the ending of the TV series. There was more I wanted to see when Guts woke up after the Eclipse though. Of course, the Eclipse itself was awesome. It maintained the brooding atmosphere the TV series had. I couldn't help but to think, if the third movie would have been so fixated on the Eclipse then the previous two movies should have dove deeper into the supernatural aspects of Berserk's universe. I guess for a movie trilogy, there was too much in too little time. Still enjoyable, regardless of its differences from the TV series.
Jun 6, 2015 10:58 PM
Jan 2009
the real question is were do we stand as far as more films being made?
Jun 23, 2015 12:31 PM

Sep 2014
For everyone who's mad after finishing the movie here's something funny:

Manga spoiler:
3rgoJun 23, 2015 12:59 PM
Jul 13, 2015 12:13 AM

Mar 2008
Why does the description for the movie thoroughly spoil the entire plot of it? I feel sorry for anyone who just wanted to look at the page but didn't know the plot of the series.
Jul 19, 2015 2:14 PM

Mar 2015
mikezilla2 said:
the real question is were do we stand as far as more films being made?

The studio has yet to announce anything,but with the manga returning to monthly serialization...the chances are definetly there.But none can say for sure.
Aug 7, 2015 7:54 AM

Apr 2009
much better than the series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2015 4:13 PM

Jul 2013
Amazing
Oct 25, 2015 12:19 AM
Feb 2011
That has got to be the most horrifying of anything anime i've seen. Whatever the film tried to accomplish, it did so really well. I'm not that deep into the manga just yet, its strong emphasis on gore honestly almost drove me away, but the story totally gives it justice. Someone commented there's more horrific stuff in the manga... looking forward for more trauma (and more movies).

Also, bless Hirasawa Susumu for that soundtrack. The opening's been stuck in my head for days.
Dec 15, 2015 8:00 AM

Sep 2014
While I preferred the animation style of the original series, these movies serve well as a shortened version of the story. I felt the events of the Eclipse lacked impact due to the removal of details explaining the relationship between Guts/Griffith/Casca, which was a natural consequence of reducing the overall length.

I made a note of some (non-dialogue) changes I noticed in comparison to the anime series, in the spoiler below:
Mirai, zura~!
Dec 22, 2015 1:33 PM

Jan 2015
And so does Griffith's defiled human body locked in his armor become Femto who's Demon God body possesses the helmet that was locked on his head when he was still Human...

But seeing Skull Knight tho ... The way he blocked his own attack :D
Jan 23, 2016 3:36 PM

Mar 2010
Okay some parts were beautiful, but what made it less appealing was how laggy it felt and some emotions were dialed down a bit. But Fuck yes This was great. I need to rewatch the anime or reread the parts of the manga that is out.

This is only the beginning? Well it was cool to see him put on the dark swordsman armor after the credits.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 25, 2016 3:09 PM

Aug 2015
From what chapter should I start reading the manga after completing this movie?
Aug 15, 2016 6:43 PM

Jan 2016
Holy shit lil Rickert still alive? wow thought he was a goner when i saw the original anime.
Aug 27, 2016 11:33 PM

Jan 2014
All this resulted from suppressed gay feelings for each other... God damn it Griffith and Guts. Now everybody is dead.
Aug 27, 2016 11:41 PM

Jan 2014
Mr_Shnb said:
Holy shit lil Rickert still alive? wow thought he was a goner when i saw the original anime.

I thought he was going to die and kept waiting and waiting, surprised every time he didn't. I'm glad he lived though.
Oct 9, 2016 11:52 AM

Feb 2016
Magnificent!

Masterpiece!

"So basically, this is another battle... Nothing has changed at all.... Nothing at all!"

Madlib said:

From the beginning... This is worth reading. Look for the best quality.
Nov 28, 2016 7:30 AM

Mar 2016
Wow, i was expecting the movie to end with Guts screaming.
This movie was way better than the previous two.
Feb 13, 2017 5:04 AM

Aug 2012
That was fantastic, hard to watch even now but still utterly fantastic.

I think the perfect Golden Age Arc Anime Experience would be to watch the original 1997 anime upto episode 20 and then to watch this film.
Mar 24, 2017 5:28 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Madlib said:

From the start, always from the start when it comes to any manga. But particularly here as the movie removes several small, but important, scenes as well as makes some changes that make scenes significantly less enjoyable

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 29, 2017 10:05 AM

Apr 2012
dam the movies r really good remakes n they explained how they got away from the demons n wat happen 2 Casca but they made Griffith look more like batman
Jun 24, 2017 9:24 AM

May 2016
I've enjoyed watching the scenes in this movie a bit more than the original since it went all out with the violence and graphic nudity.

Guts x Casca was a beautifully sexy and amusing moment~ They also gave info about the reason why those "Guardian Angels" exist and put Griffith's torture to full effect.

The Eclipse was very well done and truly brutal to watch... What happened in the last parts of the movie explained why the 2016 version started out like that too.

I want Guts to punch Griffith after pulling off that evil Batman NTR on Casca.

Aug 30, 2017 5:31 AM

Nov 2014
8.33? HUH? This was pathetic. First 2 movies were quite ok but this POS was pointless, dull and went from ridiculous gore to boring fields of wheat with some wanker undead horseman who was conveniently introduced with no connection to any of the characters.

RUINED story. WTF were they thinking to end it with this stupidity?
Sep 8, 2017 1:29 PM

Feb 2009
People have really low standards. Throw in some sex and a whole lot of ultra violence and everyone will praise your otherwise sub par effort. Typical.
Sep 29, 2017 6:29 AM

Apr 2017
adios said:
People have really low standards. Throw in some sex and a whole lot of ultra violence and everyone will praise your otherwise sub par effort. Typical.

Yeah, I almost feel sorry for the people who think these shallow CGI-shitfests are even close to being proper adaptations of the manga..
Nov 19, 2017 8:25 PM

Dec 2008
Wow, the eclipse scene was the most disturbing thing I have ever seen in anime. Overall I liked this trilogy more than the original anime. This ending makes more sense to me.
Dec 19, 2017 2:46 AM

Oct 2014
sick and stuck in bed and saw the trilogy on netflix

this last one felt like end of eva and claymore had a baby, and this shit was horrible - i don't mean the movie was bad, but i knew some of the spoilers (mainly the griffith goes evil, rapes casca) but wOw i didn't expect it to this extent: i wasn't prepared for this. i was genuinely horrified, i had my hand over my mouth and my stomach was dropping. i "oh my god"'d so loud that i woke my dog up when everyone started getting eaten.

i've seen A LOT of "edgy" anime, in fact anime with blood and death are my favorite but this was on another level, the second half of the movie was horrific and i LOVED it (despite being so scared i cried lololol)

i feel like i did it backwards, but i enjoyed this intro to berserk. the animation for all three movies was stunning: tbh i did kinda hate the bits that were cgi animated, but that's just me - i'm not a fan of cgi in anime. but the regularly animated scenes were stunning, though what got me the most was the scenery.

now, off to watch the original series and read the manga!!
LunoireDec 19, 2017 2:50 AM
Apr 8, 2018 7:47 PM

Jan 2016
Boy, they really went all out with the sex scenes in this adaptation. Fun watch but I still much prefer the original TV series and manga. Not even going to bother with the 2017-18 CGI series.
Aug 10, 2018 8:51 PM
Mar 2018
I love the ending of this movie. Sure, the eclipse was arguably better in this version than the 1997 series, but the scenes after that are amazing too. The scene with Guts running is so tragic and beautiful.
Sep 1, 2019 1:53 PM

Apr 2016
Unfortunately they missed really nice parts following the part of the escape but, for the rest, it's really a good movie.
I hate the fact Caska seems to enjoy the situation, why Miura decided to make this scene like this. It didn't was needed.
At the end of this trilogy, I can say that the manga is better obviously, but this films aren't that bad how I was think.
Sorry if there are errors in my english.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Guts and Jaime Lannister

Deeboy - Dec 10, 2018

2 by Dannyr22 »»
Mar 26, 2023 8:17 AM

» Berserk Ougon Jidai-hen III kourin l what chapters are in the movie?

NAYANAYANAYA - Mar 14, 2023

1 by AndroidLB »»
Mar 14, 2023 10:35 AM

» Why so much hate for the berserk movies ?

EndritVA - May 14, 2014

19 by DriveTG »»
Jul 28, 2022 12:33 PM

» I know why this movie exists

WhyIsGutsSoAweso - May 15, 2021

7 by WhyIsGutsSoAweso »»
May 16, 2021 9:22 AM

» Why do people say the soundtrack for the movies weren't good?

HarryRambod22 - Oct 9, 2017

1 by Zoldra0 »»
Oct 11, 2017 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.