Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Silver Spoon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 13, 2013 12:33 PM

Dec 2011
I feel as tired as the main character! Ahaha. Just thinking if I were in his shoes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2013 12:55 PM
Feb 2013
Ay, yay, yay, that chico is soooo tonto to not know how chickens lay their eggs, how chickens get dresses and how life in the farm can be soooooo back breaking, so no wonder why a lot of country people want to move into the city.

What make it more retard is how a fat girl was able to be lifted by a strong gust of wind like a kite, which seem to defy the laws of physics.
Jul 13, 2013 12:57 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Yvese said:
Dat chicken. And omg dem eggs. I really didn't think much about where exactly eggs came from, but my reaction is the same as Hachiken's lol.

This show surprised me. I didn't think much of it going into the first ep but I actually enjoyed it.

I thought it was common/basic knowledge that chicken eggs come out through the anus? What do children learn these days? I mean, this is really grade-school level knowledge we are talking about...

I'm surprised the MC is so ignorant?
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 13, 2013 8:59 PM

Nov 2012
damn its not really bad XD I kind of like it :3
about the beginning.. whats with that "crazy cow" XD she want to eat yugo? XD LOL XD

then, about the chicken XDDDDD damn it is hillarious XD
and, about the egg.. why there is kind of "water" when the egg out?! XD damn it is gross XDD LOL XD

(8/10)
Jul 13, 2013 11:29 PM

Mar 2012
lol at the egg moon

Good ep better than I expected.
Jul 14, 2013 5:26 AM

Jul 2007
Hiken-no-Ace said:
Fai said:
And the show is made based upon manga made by person who grew up in the said farms and has every reason to glorify the experience. That alone is propaganda. Its sad. Because the premise, while boring, if portrayed realistically would make a VERY interesting psychological slice-of-life.

This is why you don't evaluate the plot of a series based on the first episode, because what you said DOES INDEED HAPPEN LATER ON! :Facepalm

Oh really? They show the cruel animal practices and how inhumane and horrible the farms usually are? Does some character start to beat a goose into a wall to kill it, disappointed "that its so freaking hard" ? Are "unfit" piglets shown to be killed by throwing them to the ground while laughing?

How about killing a few chicken and the FEEDING THAT MEAT TO OTHER CHICKEN? Who by the way are incarcerated in miniscule spaces that they barely can move and end up breaking their own legs.

I really really really doubt it.
Jul 14, 2013 7:46 AM

Jan 2012
Wow. I was expecting great things from this show, and it delivered.
Jul 14, 2013 12:53 PM
Jun 2013
Just goes to show, farming is tough work! Lol'd at the censored chickens. Reality's a bitch. Pretty decent start.
Jul 15, 2013 1:22 AM

Mar 2012
I didn't expect to enjoy an anime about farmers/farming this much xD Looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 15, 2013 1:29 AM

Jul 2013
A great adaption from the manga. It seems that everything Hiromu Arakawa does turns into gold. Delicious, eggy gold. 5/5
Jul 15, 2013 2:01 AM

Dec 2007
I liked the manga more. Hachiken's voice isn't how imagined it to be when I was reading the manga. But the anime's art is better.
Jul 15, 2013 6:57 AM

Jun 2013
Fai said:
Oh really? They show the cruel animal practices and how inhumane and horrible the farms usually are? Does some character start to beat a goose into a wall to kill it, disappointed "that its so freaking hard" ? Are "unfit" piglets shown to be killed by throwing them to the ground while laughing?

How about killing a few chicken and the FEEDING THAT MEAT TO OTHER CHICKEN? Who by the way are incarcerated in miniscule spaces that they barely can move and end up breaking their own legs.

I really really really doubt it.

This series will not go to that extreme, simply because it is not meant to be an exposé on cruel and inhumane farming practices in the first place. What this series shows however is how a model farm should look like. And even then, the author never makes any heavy-handed preachy statements over best practices and instead depicts a few models of farming, mainly dairy, since I'm assuming that's the sector she knew best and letting the reader (as well as the main character) to figure out for themselves.

In fact, I'd say the series has done a good job by letting the main character to ponder over the ethics of livestock farming, including slaughtering and butchering (he in fact butchered a deer at one point of time, and he's visibly disturbed over that), without giving him instant epiphanies over what's "right" or "wrong".

In the end, the series is also meant to be entertainment as well. You might decry it as propaganda that whitewash cruel practices, but I feel that what the public needs is a more nuanced depiction that does not directly shows the gore, but imply it nonetheless. Those who are sufficiently curious about real-life practices can then study by themselves and make their own informed judgements. Those who are not would not be shortcharged for entertainment too.
Jul 15, 2013 9:16 AM

Dec 2008
Considering peoples interest in agriculture after years of letting big agri companies produce everything, this show does not come as a surprise, pleasant though it may be. The naimation is fine, the look and feel though are whats most important. Its like spartan living, but with a 3 year highschool twist! ITs an ingenius idea and I really wonder if anyone goes thorugh this...probably not though lol BUt still, its an appropriate show for our times! So far so good. 7/10
Jul 15, 2013 9:31 AM
Oct 2011
Fodder for Arakawa fans? Call me out. Episode was meh at best. I'd rather watch Moyashimon's 2nd season. Moyashimon's start was more interesting than this.
Candor123Jul 15, 2013 9:35 AM
Jul 15, 2013 11:43 AM

Aug 2012
a good series indeed, and educational too. can't wait for the next episode!

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jul 15, 2013 11:50 AM

Sep 2012
It is just plain laughable to hear someone say that this is a GENERIC slice-of-life anime.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 15, 2013 12:31 PM

Jun 2012
Great start, I kind of like this series. It's like an average school one, but it's no ordinary school, so it's pretty interesting.

I was scared his team members would just ignore him, but I'm pretty happy at how everyone gets along together.

Haciken is a great character, it's pretty funny with his commenting.

My favorite scene was the "speaking in code" scene xD

So yeah, I like the comedy in this series and it's unique setting.
5/5 ^^

Jul 15, 2013 1:01 PM

Aug 2009
Really good first impression so far. It has the things I would want from a slice of life, not to mention it's educational as well. The characters are good as well. Him overcoming his disgust that eggs do come from chickens' anus (cloaca) is great to see. Right now, not only is it the best of the season for me, it's so far the most enjoyable anime I've seen all year. Can't wait to watch more of it. :)
dietmangoJul 15, 2013 6:39 PM
Jul 15, 2013 3:56 PM

Sep 2012
I thought it would be bore me to death, but this episode was actually good. Totally what I expect from a slice of life anime.
Jul 15, 2013 5:24 PM

Jan 2008
Fai said:
checked this out in case this was better than the trainwreck of a manga it adapts, but nope.

wait... you really expected the adaptation would be totally different from the source in regards to seriousness and general atmosphere? In that case it wouldn't have been an adaptation anymore...
Jul 15, 2013 8:01 PM

Dec 2012
Raw egg + soy sauce on rice actually tastes really good!
Jul 15, 2013 9:26 PM
Mar 2013
Toho Registers 'Ginsaji-movie.com' Domain.

already plans for a movie ?
Jul 16, 2013 6:21 AM
Feb 2012
I don't know yet why this show's manga is selling so ridiculously well in Japan, but I'll make sure to find out soon since the anime made me really want to read Gin no Saji.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jul 16, 2013 6:38 AM
Oct 2011
GuiltyKing said:
I don't know yet why this show's manga is selling so ridiculously well in Japan, but I'll make sure to find out soon since the anime made me really want to read Gin no Saji.
Should there be a reason other than Arakawa, the author of Fullmetal Alchemist?
Jul 16, 2013 6:50 AM

Aug 2008
Ahh, so that's why it was so dull. She ended with end of FMA so no wonder it's so unimpressive.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 16, 2013 8:02 AM

Jul 2007
Zhao_Yun said:
Fai said:
checked this out in case this was better than the trainwreck of a manga it adapts, but nope.

wait... you really expected the adaptation would be totally different from the source in regards to seriousness and general atmosphere? In that case it wouldn't have been an adaptation anymore...

Well of course I did there are plenty of examples of that happening: Mai Hime anime was better than manga. Aoi Hana anime is way better and way more focused than manga, Mushishi was way better than original, same for Elfen Lied(although not by much). And of course best example being Utena - the manga was kitsch, the anime was masterpiece. Oh and almost forgot to mention Shaft's adaptation of EF. Graphically for example, Aku No Hana surreal style looks way better than source material "typical cutesy" manga character designs.

Its not that unusual for an adaptation to reinvent stuff and make it better. It does not always work, but in cases when the source material is already mediocre, it can only improve it. Sadly it did not happen this time.
AhenshihaelJul 16, 2013 8:08 AM
Jul 16, 2013 8:39 AM

Oct 2007
Fai said:
Zhao_Yun said:
Fai said:

Well of course I did there are plenty of examples of that happening: Mai Hime anime was better than manga. Aoi Hana anime is way better and way more focused than manga, Mushishi was way better than original, same for Elfen Lied(although not by much). And of course best example being Utena - the manga was kitsch, the anime was masterpiece. Oh and almost forgot to mention Shaft's adaptation of EF. Graphically for example, Aku No Hana surreal style looks way better than source material "typical cutesy" manga character designs.

Its not that unusual for an adaptation to reinvent stuff and make it better. It does not always work, but in cases when the source material is already mediocre, it can only improve it. Sadly it did not happen this time.

So you tried 2 chapters and already dropped it... I don't know what you like/dislike in manga/anime and I wanted to compare Gin no Saji with Uchuu Kyoudai, but you don't watch/read it neither so... this one is probably not enough deep for you...

Gin no Saji is a slice of life / school life /comedy (not so much) series! There are actually character development all along the series! At least for all the main young characters since the teachers/staff are already adults, they can't change like this!
This is a "realistic" slice of life/school life! no magic, no superpower, no giant who eat people for a unknown probably soo deep reason, no ecchi, no fanservice... <-- this alone should be more than enough for all anime/manga fan to at least check it well! let's said, at list 1 volume/3-5episodes! why does it sell so well without fanservice?? isn't it because of the story and/or the characters? It's definitely not the most original story, it's probably the most plain story since it's ONLY slice of life!
Jul 17, 2013 3:58 AM

Jan 2008
Fai said:
Zhao_Yun said:
Fai said:

of course an anime can be better than the source, but turning a comedic SoL Manga about farm life into a a serious series which problematizes and criticizes todays procedures in agriculture would be a way too big jump wouldn't you agree? It would be like turning Berserk into a Comedy Series for kids..
Not that I wouldn't like that approach but the possibility of them doing that was at nearly 0% imo. If they were going to do it it would have been easier to produce an original anime instead of adapting one.
Jul 17, 2013 4:56 AM

Aug 2011
weak start, i hope it gets better. so, it's gonna be a hardwork kinds of anime ?

**☾**
Jul 17, 2013 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
Lost it at the part with the girl flapping in the wind, freaking hilarious.
Completely understand how he felt by the end of the episode.
Jul 19, 2013 2:01 AM

Feb 2010
Good Episode, I'm really tempted to check out the manga also loving the ED a lot!
Jul 19, 2013 4:29 AM

Apr 2012
That Darksider reference:
Jul 19, 2013 9:24 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
RedgraverSoul said:
That Darksider reference

It's not a Darksiders reference. Darksiders did not invent the Four Horsemen.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 19, 2013 10:14 PM

Mar 2009
From FMA to...this? Reminds me of when I read the first chapter of Bakuman. It was a jarring experience, to say the least. But hey, I guess versatility is a good thing.

So, uhh, Arakawa sure likes talking about anuses.
Jul 20, 2013 3:05 AM

Mar 2012
i love this show, my favourite part was in the breakfast scene when he was running towards the girl going " It comes out of the anus....the anus !!!" XD !!!!
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth ;)

Jul 20, 2013 2:07 PM

Aug 2009
Awesome first episode, totally hilarious (esp the part where the calf hits the MC in the balls and the horse chews on this glasses). One of the better shows this season, will continue watching it with great expectations!
Jul 20, 2013 10:56 PM

Oct 2012
Stark700 said:

Poor chickens

Aw that censored headless chicken, it's making my face pale :(
Lol chicken's poop = egg.. Mind = blown
Well, I already knew that one :)

ARMSTROOOOONG!!! As a couch xD
"Signature removed"
Jul 21, 2013 3:59 AM
Jul 2013
it was ok. the episodes were funny but not rofl funny
Jul 21, 2013 7:45 AM

Jul 2007
Zhao_Yun said:
Fai said:
Zhao_Yun said:
Fai said:

of course an anime can be better than the source, but turning a comedic SoL Manga about farm life into a a serious series which problematizes and criticizes todays procedures in agriculture would be a way too big jump wouldn't you agree? It would be like turning Berserk into a Comedy Series for kids..
Not that I wouldn't like that approach but the possibility of them doing that was at nearly 0% imo. If they were going to do it it would have been easier to produce an original anime instead of adapting one.

Mai Hime manga was lighthearted comedic ecchi fest. Mai Hime anime was grimdark as hell drama angst.

School Days was a typical romance slice of life visual novel. Anime turned it into commentary of teenage culture and overall murder-y horror.

amayih said:

Gin no Saji is a slice of life / school life /comedy (not so much) series! There are actually character development all along the series! At least for all the main young characters since the teachers/staff are already adults, they can't change like this!
This is a "realistic" slice of life/school life! no magic, no superpower, no giant who eat people for a unknown probably soo deep reason, no ecchi, no fanservice... <-- this alone should be more than enough for all anime/manga fan to at least check it well! let's said, at list 1 volume/3-5episodes! why does it sell so well without fanservice?? isn't it because of the story and/or the characters? It's definitely not the most original story, it's probably the most plain story since it's ONLY slice of life!

Calling this realistic in on itself is hilariously inaccurate. Everything about the setting is inaccurate and glorified in a fantasy sense. The way agriculture is presented here is no different to how medieval life would be presented in a fantasy anime.

And there are thousands(for some reason) of slice of life stories done right, this is not one of them. Why does it sell? Japanese are attracted to rural culture idea. That's it.

RedgraverSoul said:
That Darksider reference:

And I facepalmed at this post hard.
Jul 21, 2013 1:06 PM

Mar 2013
An ok start. It had me giggling every 3-4 minutes. Let's see how it develops.
Jul 21, 2013 1:36 PM

Oct 2007
Fai said:
amayih said:

Calling this realistic in on itself is hilariously inaccurate. Everything about the setting is inaccurate and glorified in a fantasy sense. The way agriculture is presented here is no different to how medieval life would be presented in a fantasy anime.

And there are thousands(for some reason) of slice of life stories done right, this is not one of them. Why does it sell? Japanese are attracted to rural culture idea. That's it.

You dropped it 3 weeks ago but you're still here... why not...
Well, I didn't write realistic but "realistic" which is different!
Still, it's an agriculture highschool setting, and I don't know why it's not realistic! it's not an intensive farm... and it's not neither in your country... I believe it's probably the same everywhere in the world for the big farms, but there are some farm in my family, some small farms and it's pretty much like this series, just much smaller! they have some pigs/cows/horses/fields/make cheese/ham/sausages...
And yes, Japanese are attracted by rural culture (even if they definitely don't want to live there), like a lot of people living in big towns, because it's different and since it's different it's interesting and seems soooo cool... you can have farm tour in Japan, playing with the cows/pigs... and eat a good big barbecue just after!! I'm sure they all know it's different from real farm but they just don't want to think about it, like most of the humans...

"And there are thousands(for some reason) of slice of life stories done right"
thousands?? I'm curious, give me some titles! except sci-fi/fantasy/superpower... the only one I know are those school life series which are not realistic at all most of the time (blond girls, loli, super genius, too big boobs...), Hataraki Man and some old anime like Heidi (which I don't find so realistic neither) or some shoujo-ai/shounen-ai/BL series (but even the characters are created to fit the shoujo part, so they are usually not so realistic). There are more realistic series in manga than in anime but even the normal romance shoujo slice of life have too much exagerated characters (kimi ni todoke, sukitte ina yo, tonari no kaibutsu-kun, itazura na kiss (well this one fit, the girl is toooo much like a Japanese girl)...)
Jul 21, 2013 9:53 PM

Jul 2013
It is nice to hear major Armstrong's voice once again in this show.
He passed away last month.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=614571
Jul 25, 2013 7:10 PM

May 2012
By the mangaka of FMA.

Nice.

Nice OP and ED.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 26, 2013 3:48 AM

Dec 2012
I almost went to an agricultural school myself. That would so have been me.

And the calf was just soooo cute! >.<
Jul 27, 2013 8:04 AM

Nov 2010
Not as geeky as Moyashimon, but has similar feel and jokes
Season seems to be short on episodes sadly
I was surprised about the cameo of Louis Armstrong look a like
and the Chicken's bio
Jul 28, 2013 11:31 AM

Oct 2012
Not bad but nothing special either. This type of show really depends on good characters.

This one is little bit close to me because I can see what I eveded by not going to agriculture college when choosing schools back then :)

Let's see what we got it next episodes.
Jul 28, 2013 9:34 PM

Sep 2011
wouldnt compare this to Moyashimon -- Gin no Saji is much more lighthearted and less weird (or unique).

but the anime.......it has less comedic impact than the manga. kinda brought me down.
Jul 29, 2013 6:48 AM

Apr 2011
This was great!!! I laughed all the way through it. Maybe cos I grew up on a farm I could relate but it was so hilarious!!! XD

ANUS EGGS was the best hahahaha
Aug 1, 2013 7:13 AM

Mar 2013
Lol at the egg jokes haha.
Aug 2, 2013 6:28 PM
Feb 2009
Stark700 said:

Poor chickens

For the sake of broadcasting restrictions lol. :p
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2013

114 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2013

122 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 6:19 AM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2013

137 by DebiPS »»
Jan 18, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2013

171 by DebiPS »»
Jan 10, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

153 by Shikkakku »»
Dec 18, 2023 1:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.