Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 2, 2013 10:08 PM

May 2010
Bevel: It's time for Inner Light
Jun 2, 2013 10:09 PM

Jan 2011
Well they sure as hell fooled me with this!

seriously don't remember the last interesting episode since this one things
should be getting good now
Jun 2, 2013 10:13 PM

Jun 2011
Zyrusticae said:

That's not the point at all. Symbiosis depends on common interests. Now Evolvers chose a different way to survive, which does no good to Continent Union. Then why don't CU do some preventive measures?
Jun 2, 2013 10:25 PM

Jun 2012
HOLY SHIT PLOT TWIST!
Jun 2, 2013 10:25 PM

May 2012
I need to rewatch this episode tomorrow. I went in with a uninterested mood and couldn't understand all that info. But damn @ at the end.
Jun 2, 2013 10:34 PM

Nov 2012
Durbikins said:
Ami?

Can't be cause that girl was still around during the ice age, id have to take several years for the ice age to end. but a decedent maybe.
Jun 2, 2013 10:45 PM

May 2010
Yata837 said:

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to convey that there was a black and white good or bad side to the scenario, though I can see why people thought that's what I was inferring from the pic. Furthermore, I (like most of you) am glad this finally occurred because now the show is a lot less one-sided.

No man, I was implying that almost all Shounen anime/manga goes black and white. This is not one, so we are basically supporting what you are saying.
It is not dead which can eternal lie;
And with strange aeons even death may die.
Jun 2, 2013 10:46 PM

Sep 2012
I am getting a ton of Shinsekai Yori vibes from this.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Jun 2, 2013 10:52 PM

May 2011
AshtonClaude said:
can anyone explain me , they turn into whalesquid to be able to adapt to environment, such as space...but then...why they need to turn into whalesquid if normal human a.k.a galactic alliance also can survive the space without being a whalesquid ?

there are some point I feel inconsistent :
-chamber disobey Ledo command by killing that last whalesquid when ledo already said stop

- why this information about human that evolve into whalesquid is classified? coz they afraid people will hesitate to kill whalesquid coz they originally was human ? hell crap...even in real world people killing another people if they feel threatened

- hideauze able to adapt to space but unable to talk ?

I hope Ledo wont be break like Shinji...I hate if Ledo is = new Shinji ...LoL

1) It was an experimental thing
2) Delay, i don't know
3) Ledo pretty much summed it up, he thought he was killing "lesser beings" and chances are the alliance started the war, gotta wait for future developments.
4) Sound can't travel in a vacuum, so talking/emitting sound will be useless in space
Jun 2, 2013 10:56 PM
Oct 2009
Zyrusticae said:
Wow, some of the replies in this thread are downright despicable.

So if we actually made contact with an extraterrestrial species, it seems like there's a sizable minority of humanity that would immediately want to go to war with them just because they're not human. Disgusting!

The Hideauze are clearly sapient beings and are obviously fighting for self-preservation, like all forms of life on Earth. Fighting for survival does not make you a monster or deserving of genocide and it sure as hell doesn't make you less than human (seeing as how that's what humanity excels at in the first place). For that matter, the fact that they are heavily modified forms of Earth fauna combined with humans does not make them monsters, either! It's amazing how many people just completely miss the point of the Hideauze being essentially heavily modified humans, which is to call your idea of what is human into question and force you to reevaluate your information (which, fortunately, a fair number of posters seem more than willing to do).

Spoken from the standpoint of someone who does not have to fight for survival because generations before him did exactly that and now enable him to look down upon them all content with a perceived "higher morality" and judge them.
Fact is, it doesn't really matter whether they're humans or not because it does not change the fact that both the Continental Union and the normal humans in general are fighting for survival here themselves.

Neither side is "evil" so to speak, altough the evolvers went against human laws and went through with their experiments despite the mayority not wanting them to do exacly that.
They were happily tinkering away eradicating normal humans by the time the conflict started and at now point even thought about stopping. For what reason? None in particular, it sure as hell wasn't needed seeing how the normal humans went into space and managed to live there without much of a problem which turns their actions into something completly pointless.

The evolvers themselves seem to have little to no qualms about ending human life either, neither those in space nor those who stayed back on earth, they've proven that over and over again.
Yes we're shown the whole conflict mostly from Ledo's point of view, but that doesn't mean the Evolvers wouldn't eradicate the Alliance the same way the Alliance tried to eradicate them given the chance.

This is effectively the fight of two human groups about which one gets to survive and keep staying alive fairly similar to Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal. It's two "prime predators" fighting over the top stop, trying to occupy the same niche and that simply isn't going to happen.

For that matter, it doesn't even matter if something is merely a high-level predator or what-have-you. We must live in symbiosis with other living creatures or the natural order just completely falls apart, which you can very plainly see just by looking around you - massive extinction events all across the globe, much of it engineered plainly by humans expanding their territory without regard for the consequences to the native organisms. Even things that are quite clearly dangerous to human beings are deserving of our respect and understanding, as they often fulfill key roles in the ecosystems they inhabit. Fuck with them and, as if knocking over a row of dominoes, everything just goes to hell in a hand-basket very quickly.

This is a very simplistic and naive way of thinking. If something wants to maul me to death I have every right of fighting back and possibly killing it. Extinction by the way isn't even something humans invented, species compete for their niche for billions of years and in the process drive others extinct.
Right now the American squirrel is slowly driving the European squirrel extinct, not by actually being aggressive towards it or murdering them, not even with an actual plan. But merely by occupying the same niche, by being bigger and more effective at what they are doing. Coexistence in their case simply means the time it takes the European squirrel to go extinct. I'm pretty sure if they could they would tell you where to shove that coexistence.

The factions in space are simply two opposing ideological sides locked in an endless conflict. Both of them are essentially in the wrong. There is no better side here, at least until one side finally extends an arm towards reconciliation. The series is clearly heading towards a conclusion that sees some kind of end to the conflict, but the war in outer space will likely continue to rage on off-screen even as Earth finally enters a new era of peace.

Disagree on this. People forcibly turning humans into squid like atrocities, planning to hijack the other humans warpgate and strand them on earth, who have shown no problem with killing the other humans (Pinions brother for example) and only ever leave them alone if they are completly detechnologized and pose no threat to them aren't exactly nice people.
Sure one might argue that the Alliance isn't much better, but this is easily explained with the adversary they are fighting here. The Evolvers on Earth aren't exactly acting much different from those in space showing little regard for human life and dooming the humans on Earth to a slow and painful extinction.

And seeing how they live more like animals than actual humans, showing little signs of an actual civilization they might actually have devolved quite a bit themselves.

RockerXD said:
1) It was an experimental thing

Yes and a completly pointless one. Which makes the very foundation of the anime flawed. There was absolutely no need for this, there was even less need to turn everyone into these squid things.
3) Ledo pretty much summed it up, he thought he was killing "lesser beings" and chances are the alliance started the war, gotta wait for future developments.

Conflict started on Earth already when the Evolvers went against the laws back then, commiting all kind of crimes left and right. The message we were shown talked about cruel experiments carried out on humans that violated all kind of treaties.
The Evolvers actually followed the Continental Union when they hijacked THEIR warpgate, they planned to trap the Continental Union on Earth but ultimately failed to do so with both sides getting through.
It's fairly safe to assume the Evolvers are just as indoctrinated and hellbent on wiping out the normal humans as the Alliance is. So you being human you'd actually have little chance to side with them. ;)
4) Sound can't travel in a vacuum, so talking/emitting sound will be useless in space

Doesn't matter, you still need a way of communicating.
DelethJun 2, 2013 11:02 PM
Jun 2, 2013 11:09 PM

Jun 2011
Damn this episode was so sad.
Not knowing why they fight they continue to kill the hideauze.
he massacred them.
Jun 2, 2013 11:15 PM

Nov 2011
Damn, those things were actually human. Evolution went wrong I supposed.

Chamber sure is a convenient robot, he can read data from storage device without even plugging it in. How does that even work?

Jun 2, 2013 11:24 PM
Feb 2012
This talk about Evolvers and normal humans waging a war against them reminds me of Gundam Seed....lol. Oh well, I'm just confused, WHY DIDN'T THIS COME ABOUT EARLIER IN THE SHOW! Instead we got stuck with somewhat mediocre slice of life stuff for so many eps, they could've at least slowly hinted towards all of this!
Jun 2, 2013 11:27 PM

Oct 2012
I saw this coming from a mile away. I don't get why Red (I refuse to call him Ledo) would get shaken up to find out the Hideauze are human. Does it really matter from his vantage point? Here is a hostile species waging an eternal war against humans. Whether the originated from Earth or Mars, whether they are mutated humans or demons or aliens make absolutely no difference. I hope they don't try to use this as a weak excuse to make a point about co-existence, but considering that's been a theme all along, I'm not getting my hopes up.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 2, 2013 11:28 PM

Jan 2010
orbbie said:
Damn this episode was so sad.
Not knowing why they fight they continue to kill the hideauze.
he massacred them.

The sign Urobuchi in ACTION!
Kill them before they lay eggs!!!

I don't think Hideauze is human any more...Almost a squid that reproduce themselves by mate and only the Queen can lay the eggs! No longer a human, but still, the origin is from human with DNA genetic engineering. Just somewhere in the past it went wrong and lose the essence of humanity.....

AoiMizuJun 2, 2013 11:34 PM

Jun 2, 2013 11:29 PM

Jan 2011
So who were the good guys, Cro-Magnon man or the Neanderthals? A battle between species for a limited ecological niche may not have a happy ending. In fact good/bad and happy/unhappy dichotomies probably don't apply.

Keep in mind that the Evolvers and the Continental Alliance were already locked in combat when they escaped Earth through the warpgate and went 6000 light years off in a random direction. The whale squids and the current humans are presumably the descendants of the ones who didn't leave earth and were able to live in relative peace because they by-and-large occupy different niches. As for the space-based cousins: true humans will probably require a fixed planetary base so they will always be vulnerable to attack from the free-ranging space squids. That war is destined to continue until one side or the other achieves total victory.

However I think it is also fair to point out that the human alliance plan was to go through the gate and go elsewhere, while the Evolvers could probably happily mooch around in the local galactic neighborhood. If they had let Ledo's ancestors leave we probably would have had peace ---or a resonalble facsimile.
rodacJun 2, 2013 11:37 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jun 2, 2013 11:45 PM
Oct 2009
rodac said:
However I think it is also fair to point out that the human alliance plan was to go through the gate and go elsewhere, while the Evolvers could probably happily mooch around in the local galactic neighborhood. If they had let Ledo's ancestors leave we probably would have had peace ---or a resonalble facsimile.

But they didn't want that either, THEY were the ones going to lead humanity to it's "NEW" future and the original humans had no place in their vision.
Jun 2, 2013 11:59 PM

Apr 2012
the whole point of genetically modifying humans was to make them capable of surviving in space. Not pointless at all. Because of the whole global cooling they needed another potential habitable planet but obviously humans don't fare too well in space travel. The hideauze was used for this purpose but it clearly backfired and many opposed this project which resulted in the schism between hideauze and humans. I wonder what happened to the people that supported the project but weren't hideauze. Were they exterminated as well?

Jun 3, 2013 12:02 AM
Jul 2012
rodac said:
So who were the good guys, Cro-Magnon man or the Neanderthals? A battle between species for a limited ecological niche may not have a happy ending. In fact good/bad and happy/unhappy dichotomies probably don't apply.

As with most social problems, it was solved through interbreeding, so everyone's good and a happy ending for all.

(Well, partially - all non-African DNA contains small amounts of Neanderthal DNA - but that doesn't rule out Cro-Magnon outcompeting, full scale war, or something else)
Jun 3, 2013 12:04 AM

Sep 2011
Pesti13nce said:
Did anyone else's heart sink a little when chamber did what he did at the end, with the humanoid looking one?

Mine did. :(

After i saw those Hideaze babies i knew they were humans once.

And after seeing that report i felt so sad because this is so close to reality that it hurts so much.

And the to top it all, that human like Hideaze at end. When i first saw her i thought "Ok maybe they will communicate somehow now." Second later Chamber destroys my dream. :( Why Chamber why???!!!!
Jun 3, 2013 12:08 AM

Jul 2007
mewtwo21 said:
Durbikins said:
Ami?

Can't be cause that girl was still around during the ice age, id have to take several years for the ice age to end. but a decedent maybe.

Don't discount anything in this kind of show.

Kakkoi-Kun said:
This just seemed like a major ass pull. It's really the only way the story so far would make any sense, but it also turns our wanna-be hero into a mass murderer who should be undeserving of our sympathy that we're going to have to end up giving to him.

Ledo's utiltarian motives have always been portrayed as unsympathetic, so no asspull.
Zyrusticae said:

So if we actually made contact with an extraterrestrial species, it seems like there's a sizable minority of humanity that would immediately want to go to war with them just because they're not human. Disgusting!

Exactly. The closet-racism in this thread is disgusting.

Someone even tried to JUSTIFY genocide with "hey they look more like an animal so its okay~". Then again that's nothing new as people tried to justify getting rid of hideauze even before the twist with bullshit like "oh they have capabilities to be smart, that means they must DIE". *sigh* MAL is full of radical republicans, it seems
Zyrusticae said:

The Hideauze are clearly sapient beings and are obviously fighting for self-preservation, like all forms of life on Earth. Fighting for survival does not make you a monster or deserving of genocide and it sure as hell doesn't make you less than human (seeing as how that's what humanity excels at in the first place). For that matter, the fact that they are heavily modified forms of Earth fauna combined with humans does not make them monsters, either! It's amazing how many people just completely miss the point of the Hideauze being essentially heavily modified humans, which is to call your idea of what is human into question and force you to reevaluate your information (which, fortunately, a fair number of posters seem more than willing to do).

For that matter, it doesn't even matter if something is merely a high-level predator or what-have-you. We must live in symbiosis with other living creatures or the natural order just completely falls apart, which you can very plainly see just by looking around you - massive extinction events all across the globe, much of it engineered plainly by humans expanding their territory without regard for the consequences to the native organisms. Even things that are quite clearly dangerous to human beings are deserving of our respect and understanding, as they often fulfill key roles in the ecosystems they inhabit. Fuck with them and, as if knocking over a row of dominoes, everything just goes to hell in a hand-basket very quickly.

The factions in space are simply two opposing ideological sides locked in an endless conflict. Both of them are essentially in the wrong. There is no better side here, at least until one side finally extends an arm towards reconciliation. The series is clearly heading towards a conclusion that sees some kind of end to the conflict, but the war in outer space will likely continue to rage on off-screen even as Earth finally enters a new era of peace.

What's more the episode confirmed that Hideauze are NOT predators - they life off of a freaking photosynthesis, lol. Thus they don't even NEED resources - being around the sun is enough.

Which means that the ONLY reason the war is going on is because Human Alliance are space nazis(which was obvious already considering you had an utalitarian society with dominant "superior" hair and eye color, fighting a crusade against a different culture)
Jun 3, 2013 12:21 AM

Apr 2012
Twist is cool and all but what's up with the majority of the show being slice of life stuff then this sudden change. Really unclear where the direction of the show is going is what I'm trying to say. :C Not many episodes left???

Jun 3, 2013 12:26 AM

Jan 2013
I wouldn't consider the Hideauze as humans , even if they share our human DNA or evolved from humans. Its just like us comparing us to monkeys, we definitely share DNA, but we are vastly different.

But still, I won't go out of my way to attack them for no reason on earth or in space. Its just like "oh I have a grudge against all dolphins, they must all be killed"

The universe is so huge, why not just live a million light years away from each other, if the Hideauze aren't actively pursuing the humans?
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
Jun 3, 2013 12:27 AM
Oct 2012
Fai said:

Which means that the ONLY reason the war is going on is because Human Alliance are space nazis(which was obvious already considering you had an utalitarian society with dominant "superior" hair and eye color, fighting a crusade against a different culture)

Wow did you not even see the episode? Starting around minute19 the Leader of the Evolvers makes a speech. About how they Continental Union is making a Worm hole Drive to Escape and leave them behind. Is this a bad thing? The Union wants to escape the solar system. Why is leaving them behind bad? Isn't the whole idea of evolvers was to survive. so they can survive in different galaxies. Wouldn't that be great? They want to spread themselves is what the leader said. The evolvers wants to conquer the galaxy, and not let the union do it. in the same speech he wants to spread the domain of the living which to him is the evolvers. So what does that make the union? the dead? The last speech by the leader totally defeats your whole idea.
Jun 3, 2013 12:31 AM

Feb 2012
Quite the revelation at the end.

Jun 3, 2013 12:34 AM

Jul 2007
witacume said:
Fai said:

Wow did you not even see the episode? Starting around minute19 the Leader of the Evolvers makes a speech. About how they Continental Union is making a Worm hole Drive to Escape and leave them behind. Is this a bad thing? The Union wants to escape the solar system. Why is leaving them behind bad? Isn't the whole idea of evolvers was to survive. so they can survive in different galaxies. Wouldn't that be great? They want to spread themselves is what the leader said. The evolvers wants to conquer the galaxy, and not let the union do it. in the same speech he wants to spread the domain of the living which to him is the evolvers. So what does that make the union? the dead? The last speech by the leader totally defeats your whole idea.

the whole war started exactly as I said - Continental Union fired the first shots, over the fact that Hideaze/Evolvers looked DIFFERENT and because they did not agree with their beliefs and culture. Let's make this clear - Continental Union started a war over cultural differences(without even a justification from UN), which is pretty much between cultural cleansing and genocide.

As for leaving them behind?

continental union was content leaving the rest of civilization on earth in inhospitable conditions, to gain a head start. Union already BEING THERE when Hideaze arrive to the place, kind of defeats the whole colonisation purpose - its a war of territory, basically, whichever side gains foothold, would cause the opposite side to be unable to colonise. And since Union's/Alliances utalitarian nazi regime philosophy, the first thing the white haired purple eyed master-race would have done afterward, would most likely be return and finish the job, if turning Earth into basically a concentration camp did not do that already.

Both sides being wrong is a given, but no one can discount the fact that Alliance are Space Nazis.
Jun 3, 2013 12:35 AM

Aug 2008
Sorta like Shinsekai yori. Except, that the Evolvers, AKA Hideauze, did out of their own volition...

But fuck. They have sufficient "technology/adaptability" to make a giant plant-like gargantuan behemoth-thingy that fires a planet size wave motion blast.

But why do the Evolvers fight the humans for? They can live in space... they can just mind their own business and live anywhere in their own little corner... Is it revenge? Or a natural instinct to kill each other off after eons of being at each others' throats? Or are the humans just trying to wipe them off cuz they don't like them and the Hideauze are just fighting back? It seems unlikely. Well, until they explain it, it seems off and sorta plothole-ish.
Jun 3, 2013 12:37 AM
Feb 2009
jesus wtf
Jun 3, 2013 12:38 AM

Dec 2007
This was a somewhat unexpected twist to be sure. While I'm sure many of us were acutely aware that the Hideauze were likely to be human creations, and the series to date clearly confirmed they were not truly malicious or necessarily dangerous without provocation.

The human angle does raise eyebrows though, especially in that I can't think back to any solid hints on that - the only clear foreshadowing I noted being the "larvae" from this very episode, which clearly resembled the human fetus.

It's now fairly obvious that the current war is the continuation of the fighting that broke out between the two human camps. On that, I do like how they play up that the federation's people are taught that the Hideauze are "inferior" lifeforms. Some thing just never change.

Now the real question is where it goes from here.
Jun 3, 2013 12:39 AM

Jul 2007
Genix said:
Sorta like Shinsekai yori. Except, that the Evolvers, AKA Hideauze, did out of their own volition...

But fuck. They have sufficient "technology/adaptability" to make a giant plant-like gargantuan behemoth-thingy that fires a planet size wave motion blast.

But why do the Evolvers fight the humans for? They can live in space... they can just mind their own business and live anywhere in their own little corner... Is it revenge? Or a natural instinct to kill each other off after eons of being at each others' throats? Or are the humans just trying to wipe them off cuz they don't like them and the Hideauze are just fighting back? It seems unlikely. Well, until they explain it, it seems off and sorta plothole-ish.

Its most likely the latter.

1. The ONLY times we saw the war, we had humans initiate the offensive.
2. The philosophy behind why the war is even happening seems to be that Hideaze are "lower intelligence, inferior creatures that are dangerous".

Its basically no different than african or indian genocides performed by European military powers.
AhenshihaelJun 3, 2013 12:42 AM
Jun 3, 2013 12:48 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
But everyone, could you please put the Shinsekai Yori spoilers in spoiler tag? I've seen it myself, but I've been spoiled of Madoka the same exact way only to a lesser extent.
Jun 3, 2013 12:54 AM

Nov 2011
Hideous humans!
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jun 3, 2013 12:54 AM
Oct 2012
Fai said:
Both sides being wrong is a given, but no one can discount the fact that Alliance are Space Nazis.

Both Sides are wrong right? ok we agree.
Is human testing right? How many people would have to died to make an evolver? zero or millions? 1. We don't know. 2. But if you think Animal testing is ok? Already you are making a flawed argument. 3. And if you think the answer is zero you/the writer are living in some pipe dream. Because already we see how both sides are wrong as we both said.
In the end we don't know anything you are simply assuming the Alliance is a space Nazi a similar argument can be made for the other side. Because they are forcing their ideals. Why don't the alliance want experiments. Maybe its because people are dying from those experiments. Why did the war even start? It was because the Evolvers were disobeying INTERNATIONAL Law. Not just one or two countries but all countries. Why were they doing this? To survive. But didn't the Union make something to survive? Yes they did they made space ships.
Your counterargument would be they wanted to start at that time. But unfortunately for the evolvers the whole world was not for it. so it would take time for you to make your case. Unfortunately this is the case with ton's of issues. It is because of the lack of patience that they simply yell at each other and not listen. So could the union minds be change after a while? Maybe idk you don't know. So argument is flawed already.
Jun 3, 2013 12:56 AM
Apr 2012
That... That was fucking mind blowing.
Jun 3, 2013 1:30 AM

Jun 2009
Iguess... For the next few episodes... It'll be time for the co-exist theme to kick in.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2013 1:43 AM

Feb 2008
Oh, that was a nice revelation. So this means, this show is actually getting the usual Urobutcher body count afterall.
Jun 3, 2013 1:47 AM
Jun 2012
Why do most of you guys defend only one side? As if there's a "good" and "bad" side in any war...

Maybe it's just as simple as this:
The Evolvers saw the humans as primitive and thought that they shouldn't feel so important.
The humans feared the evolvers because they couldn't understand them (and, let's face it, those guys can look terrifying sometimes) so they waged war against them.

This isn't a war of some continent, it's a war of survival. It's impossible for two different superior species (I'm not talking about color of the skin or culture - biological differences) to co-exist, it's human nature to always want to be at the top.

And knock it off with all the "closet racism"-bullshit. If they'd been humans and had the same DNA-structure as us, that's one thing... But now they're a completely different species.
It's like saying: "You're a racist, because you don't want to treat monkeys/dolphins the same as us humans!"

Anyway. This episode was awesome - I sometimes felt a shiver down my spine. I hope Ledo won't change too much... it'd be a little bit too cliche to see humans and the Hidiaazu co-exist. I do realize that I'm a horrible person, but... I'm rooting for Ledo and Chamber!
Jun 3, 2013 1:54 AM
Mar 2010
I still have to digest what I saw in this episode.
Two words:
Mind=Blown.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jun 3, 2013 2:01 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Aclos said:
Great episode.
But everyone, could you please put the Shinsekai Yori spoilers in spoiler tag? I've seen it myself, but I've been spoiled of Madoka the same exact way only to a lesser extent.

I hear you. The people who didn't read the posts on the earlier pages probably didn't see me asking a person to put the SSY thing in a spoiler, in which the person did right away. But everyone after who mentioned it just mentioned without putting it in spoilers :/ I've been spoiled a few times too, like with TTGL in the SnK forums and also Code Geass (the biggest spoiler of all too)...
Jun 3, 2013 2:10 AM

Oct 2012
Oh chamber :(
Wow, yes a bit like Shinsekai Yori's mindblown effect like many posts said
Well, reality is cruel and bitter and wicked and cruel... oops did I said cruel 2x?
Oh well XD
Anyway it's cruel thing actually :(
They still humans but but treated not like that...

Please happy ending I demand it!!
"Signature removed"
Jun 3, 2013 2:20 AM

Mar 2013
Mind fuck! My god that was very unexpected, and very smart. I love the theory behind this! I wonder how this show will end
Jun 3, 2013 2:35 AM

Jan 2013
tingy said:
I hear you. The people who didn't read the posts on the earlier pages probably didn't see me asking a person to put the SSY thing in a spoiler, in which the person did right away. But everyone after who mentioned it just mentioned without putting it in spoilers :/ I've been spoiled a few times too, like with TTGL in the SnK forums and also Code Geass (the biggest spoiler of all too)...

Oh yeah, I've been spoiled with TTGL too. But I'm still planning to finish it one day. But really, I don't get at all why most people think that some anime have been seen by everyone. It's not that hard to use common sense and put the spoiler in spoiler tag, that's what they are for after all...
Jun 3, 2013 2:37 AM
Feb 2012
Now we're back on track, ladies and gentlemen. The anime is living up to its creator's name.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jun 3, 2013 2:57 AM

Jun 2011
Does anyone else get a very uneasy feeling about Chamber?
Not just because of the killing of the humanoid hideauze in the end, but just in general this episode?

Jun 3, 2013 3:03 AM
Dec 2010
Pesti13nce said:
Did anyone else's heart sink a little when chamber did what he did at the end, with the humanoid looking one?

My jaw dropped and my entire opinion of Chamber went out the window. Now I want Ledo to blow his ass up for disobeying orders and go live happily ever after on Gargantia. I have NO idea what they are going to do for the next 4 episodes now that we know this twist.

I suppose they didn't show the big Queen killed and he didn't comment on it. Probably something with that will unfold.
Jun 3, 2013 3:26 AM

Feb 2012
Zyrusticae said:

I would agree with you if this scenario was even remotely plausible. Sadly (as in because the writers are making up bogus), this could never ever happen. The creators have no idea how this kinda stuff actually work (gene tech, evolution, etc.). The Mass Effect scenario is a billion times more likely to happen.
XartaXJun 3, 2013 3:36 AM
Kellhus said:

GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jun 3, 2013 3:29 AM

Feb 2011
AshtonClaude said:
- hideauze able to adapt to space but unable to talk ?

lol, that's something i'm wondering too
where is the use in losing the ability to communicate with the other humans?
and if they're good at adapting themselfes they could on the opposite being able to communicate with much more than only humans :/

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jun 3, 2013 3:30 AM
Jun 2013
This is my own interpretation of the story (based on the anime). I will start with some background to make things more explainable.

The story started with an all-out battle between the Galactic Alliance and the Hideauze (ep 1). In that scene, what we are able to see is just the Galactic Alliance attacking the Hideauze and there are no concrete evidences that the Hideauze are making an offensive move against the humans (alliance).

Ledo was a soldier since birth hinting at episode 1 with CHAMBER telling him that he can apply for a vacation after the mission since he has already served for 145,000 HOURS (which is approximately equivalent to 16 and a half years). I believe Ledo was around 16-17 years old.

We can also notice on episode 1 that the Hideauze are actually more advance and much stronger compared to the humans. The regeneration ability that their cannon?? possesed and destroyed the Alliance's MAIN FLEET and CANON. Well since they are the evolved humans we can expect this.

Judging by ep1 as well, I can say that Ledo isn't a MILITARY FREAK who obeys all orders given, we can see that when they were called for retreat he stayed behind and held the pursuing Hideauze plus when he saw some of his comrades are being killed by the DEFENDING Hideaze, he actually wanted to save them if possible and disobey orders for retreat.

The story progresses with Ledo landing on Earth and meeting the remnants of the Alliance race (Amy etc). Throughout those episodes we can see Ledo slowly but surely being affected by Earth customs through AMY and BEVEL.

Getting to the main point, WhaleSquids who are also Hideauze are hinted to be peaceful creatures and only attacks when provoked. Pinion's brother was attacked by whalesquids because he probably touched the eggs or saplings. We can see in EP 9 when Ledo was venturing on the part of the facility with the eggs, we can actually see a wreckage of a Yunburo which is probably owned by Pinion's brother.

We are then being informed of the past thru the documents being analyzed by CHAMBER. We are informed that there was a faction called Evolvers who pursued genetic engineering for humans to adapt to space (but judging with whalesquids, I think to adapt to different environments such as ocean). A group of opposition waged war into them. However, Evolvers still managed to finish the research and thus created the FIRST evolved humans.

Both the evolvers and oppositions were able to go to space thus known today as the Galactic Alliance and the Hideauze. As many generations have passed, how each faction grows depends on the kind of education they teach their young ones. The Alliance probably continued hating the Hideauze and thus taught their people that these are dangerous creatures and must be annihilated.

The Hideauze on space on the other hand in my own opinion still have the human side into them although if you are being attacked constantly throughout the years, they might have educated the young ones to defend and think that these attackers are constant threats and they must be annihilated.

Earlier, I made a point about Ledo not being an ORDER FREAK, which pretty much explains his reaction and sympathy for the WhaleSquids/Hideauze while CHAMBER is an AI and mecha created by the alliance, so he has the same goals as the alliance. Plus he can act on his own as well (times when CHAMBER is working on GARGANTIA). He needs a pilot to make him more efficient just like when they were catching the fish.

As for the inhuman appearance of the Hideauze (having sharp teeth etc), I think that was just a part of what we call adaptability to the environment and evolution, pretty much the same on the theory of evolution of humans where we are believed to be former monkeys a few thousand or million years back.

They might have their human attitude on them (space Hideauze). Again backed up by my point that we never saw a Hideauze attacking humans without being attacked.

While the Whalesquids probably don't have the human attitude because they continued to live without education and such. Analogically speaking they are like cavemen or TARZAN who can't cope up with our current lifestyle.

If there are humans who were left on earth, those whalesquids on earth were probably left out as well when these people went to the space.
Jun 3, 2013 3:36 AM
Jun 2013
So..
- Citadel was created to research without regulation from ethic committee.
- There were protest against Evolvers and some 'shocking information' leak from Evolvers let Continental Union start attack on Evolvers.
- Whale squid (original) was basically human creation, combination between nano-machine and symbiont.
- Hideauze were human hybridizing with whale squid. (I think human was first used whale squid as a bio-suit before assimilation.)
- Earth ice aged was worsen let the war between two factions escalating. (At this point it's seem Evolvers has Snail type-Hideauze capable of space travel and combat already.)
- Evolvers seize wormhole drive and spreading itself and the war with CU continued.
Jun 3, 2013 3:55 AM

Dec 2009
I can't help but think Evolvers kinda started to loose their human roots as time passed (and possibly new generations came into existence).
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Pages (14) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2013

253 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 6:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.