Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 20, 2013 8:09 PM
Aug 2011
Not to be mean or anything, but honestly the voice actor who plays Eren is the same guy who's butchered an absurd amount of animes. His characters are always the same: the whiny, self-absorbed type who always wastes away episodes with small problems (ep. 3, can't balance yourself? -- end up talking about it for half the episode...). He's played Haruyuki in Accel World (literally dropped immediately when I thought the voice was familiar, and then realized Shou), Shou (dear god it was like two episodes to get the MC's shit together after every problem), and Alibaba in Magi (meh, i thought he did an ok job but still there were those episodes where Alibaba would wallow in self pity).

It's a shame because Shingeki no Kyojin had such a wonderful start. I'm hoping it doesn't go the road of Guilty Crown or Sword Art Online -- debatable, not wishing to start a discussion on SAO -- where the first episode is out of the world good, but then the subsequent ones become less and less interesting.

Thoughts? Do you guys think the VA is the problem, or the character design is the problem, or it's too early to make any judgment, or that there's no problem at all?

Edit for clarification: I'm not even really complaining about GC. GC suffered from a ton of flaws. However, I will say that I have not been impressed at all with this voice actor in his depictions of main characters, and he's starting to get to me in this anime. Having a quality voice actor really does make a difference -- two famous MC's, Lelouch and Yagami are proof of that) -- and poor voice acting can easily ruin an anime. One just needs to watch an anime in subs vs. dubs to find proof of this.

...Well, have fun with the discussion guys. :D I'm fairly sure this is going to be a pretty controversial opinion, but who knows, maybe I'll see some similar thinking.
iWriter88Apr 20, 2013 9:12 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 20, 2013 8:10 PM

Sep 2012
iWriter88 said:
Not to be mean or anything, but honestly the voice actor
This is where I stopped reading.

Take your Shu hate somewhere else.
Apr 20, 2013 8:11 PM

Mar 2012
How can you hate Yuki Kaji?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 20, 2013 8:12 PM

Jul 2011
iWriter88 said:
Thoughts?

Wait until people start to die like insects, and don't worry too much about Eren.
Apr 20, 2013 8:12 PM
Aug 2011
Red_Keys said:
iWriter88 said:

Your signature reflects my response on reading your reply. :d
Apr 20, 2013 8:13 PM
Jan 2013
We all have our preferences in VA so if you don't like listening to Yuki Kaji, then go read the manga since you won't have to listen to him. Or just drop this anime like you did with accel world.
Apr 20, 2013 8:14 PM

Jul 2009
I'd debate that Valvrave is heading towards the GC path rather than Titan is.
If your going to complain that Yu-Gi-Oh! Mangas are on the top NY times manga best sellers, you must not realize how popular Card games are(as well as the fact that you get a free card).
Apr 20, 2013 8:15 PM

Oct 2011
I never liked him to begin with.

Even after reading some manga chapters, he's the typical bland character archetype.

Pretty much everyone else in the series is better than him personality wise.
PolychromeApr 20, 2013 8:19 PM
Apr 20, 2013 8:18 PM

Jun 2009
NeoAnkara said:
How can you hate Yuki Kaji?

I hate him since Faggot Crown
then do I hate his character in this anime? for me it depends on the character's personality not seiyuu's voice.
IZUMI64Apr 20, 2013 9:54 PM
Apr 20, 2013 8:18 PM

Nov 2010
The VA didn't ruin any anime, that's just stupid.

And I think he's fine.
Apr 20, 2013 8:20 PM
Jan 2011
You are free to hate the character, I also think that he is annoying sometime, but blaming the voice actor for being ordered to voice like that is another matter.
Apr 20, 2013 8:21 PM

Oct 2011
Didn't he voice Alibaba? I don't see what's wrong with his voice tbh.

Hateful much?
Apr 20, 2013 8:21 PM

May 2009
Kaji was a pain in the ass as child Eren, but I like him as teenager Eren so far.
Apr 20, 2013 8:24 PM

Aug 2012
What a random rant.
Apr 20, 2013 8:27 PM

Mar 2012
Honestly people nowdays cannot apreciate MC. They look for a reason for hating MC even thought it was stupid. They think hating MC is cool now.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 20, 2013 8:27 PM

Jul 2009
people like you are who give Kaji work. how? BECAUSE YOU HATE HIS VOICE. anime producers look for this guy cause they want you to hate the character!!!

so start loving him and we'll see less of him

logic.
Apr 20, 2013 8:32 PM
Aug 2011
Talukita said:
You are free to hate the character, I also think that he is annoying sometime, but blaming the voice actor for being ordered to voice like that is another matter.

I make it a point to look up voice actors after I particularly enjoy a character, and you know what I find? Most of the ones I enjoy are actually done by the same people! Whereas this voice actor has done 3 dislikeable characters so far. I think voice actors have a big input in shaping the character -- it's not just the script.
Apr 20, 2013 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
I respect the VA. The MC is a quite annoying at times though, if only he was more mature.
Apr 20, 2013 8:34 PM

Apr 2012
I don't really hate his VA, just this character in general. Dude has shonen cliches up the ass.
I'm going to hate it when the likeable characters start dying instead of him because he has MC immunity.
Apr 20, 2013 8:36 PM

Jun 2009
I actually like Eren so far and can understand completely where he's coming from. The guy is full of absolute rage and I think how he harnesses that rage and whether or not it'll be to his disadvantage should be pretty interesting going forward. I'm also liking Yuki Kaji's voice work here.

Honestly I'd say that Eren is the only character so far to really stand out all that much to me, aside from Sasha.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 20, 2013 8:53 PM
Feb 2012
This is an important episode where
Eren starts drifting from Mikasa.
¨I don't need to depend on you anymore Mikasa!¨
Apr 20, 2013 8:57 PM

Dec 2009
yeah... ok. I recognized the voice too. Think its a little too deep for a young boy but whatever, that's anime for you so I accept that part, besides its still awesome. Great voice actor.

He actually sounds a little better in his acting on this than SAO. Don't get me wrong, I actually love his voice and think he's really talented!

Sorry to say this, but... its probably just you. So! --sucks for you.
Apr 20, 2013 9:03 PM
Aug 2011
waalex11 said:
yeah... ok. I recognized the voice too. Think its a little too deep for a young boy but whatever, that's anime for you so I accept that part, besides its still awesome. Great voice actor.

He actually sounds a little better in his acting on this than SAO. Don't get me wrong, I actually love his voice and think he's really talented!

Haha, I think you have the wrong VA. The person who does this anime does not play Kirito in SAO. Coincidentally though, I disliked that VA too -- Sakurasou literally had just one dislikeable character, and it was him just because his voice...idk, it seems to get to me. But it's ok, because Nanami is the best.
Apr 20, 2013 9:05 PM

Dec 2011
You should probably differentiate between

1. Hating the VA because his acting does not fit the character he is playing or

2. Hating the character because you don't like his personality or what he does

Eren's VA is doing a good job fleshing out the type of person he is supposed to be. Anyway, the fact that Kaji is the MC for a lot of the popular shounen shows is proof enough of his VA abilities.
Live forever, or die trying
Apr 20, 2013 9:08 PM

Dec 2009
iWriter88 said:
waalex11 said:

Haha, I think you have the wrong VA. The person who does this anime does not play Kirito in SAO. Coincidentally though, I disliked that VA too -- Sakurasou literally had just one dislikeable character, and it was him just because his voice...idk, it seems to get to me. But it's ok, because Nanami is the best.

oh xD woops, lol. Well, Eren's voice VA sounds really familiar to me.

Edit: I think it sounds similar as Shu's voice in Guilty Crown.
Apr 20, 2013 9:12 PM

Dec 2007
insan3soldiern said:
I actually like Eren so far and can understand completely where he's coming from. The guy is full of absolute rage and I think how he harnesses that rage and whether or not it'll be to his disadvantage should be pretty interesting going forward. I'm also liking Yuki Kaji's voice work here.

Honestly I'd say that Eren is the only character so far to really stand out all that much to me, aside from Sasha.
This. But so far, I don't mind anyone in the cast. At least they've got variety.
Apr 20, 2013 9:13 PM

Oct 2012
I actually really like Kaji Yuki's voice acting, and I don't mind the MC. I don't get why people want to call almost every MC a bland MC. I think Eren is far from bland, cause he actually has a personality. Not every MC can be a lelouch, so I don't know what people are expecting. Besides, he's still young. He's around the age of 12 or 13 right now.
waalex11 said:

he voiced in SAO?
Apr 20, 2013 9:15 PM

Dec 2010
No, Yuki Kaji does a great job.
Apr 20, 2013 9:29 PM

Nov 2007
Kaji Yuki fits perfectly as Eren. The only other seiyuu who would do just as good has been assigned to potato girl.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 20, 2013 9:32 PM

Nov 2012
Seems like people are trying harder and harder every day to find something to bash on in even the best of anime.
Apr 20, 2013 9:49 PM
May 2012
tsukigari said:
You should probably differentiate between

1. Hating the VA because his acting does not fit the character he is playing or

2. Hating the character because you don't like his personality or what he does

Eren's VA is doing a good job fleshing out the type of person he is supposed to be. Anyway, the fact that Kaji is the MC for a lot of the popular shounen shows is proof enough of his VA abilities.

This.
Apr 20, 2013 9:52 PM
Nov 2011
All the complaining about Eren's VA makes me wish it's one month later so that fandom will be too distracted by Levi and Irwin's VAs to complain about Eren's VA.

Levi and Irwin's VAs are Durarara's Izaya and Shizuo, very popular slash pairing.
Apr 20, 2013 9:59 PM

Sep 2012
AnimeHAwk616 said:
I actually really like Kaji Yuki's voice acting, and I don't mind the MC. I don't get why people want to call almost every MC a bland MC. I think Eren is far from bland, cause he actually has a personality. Not every MC can be a lelouch, so I don't know what people are expecting. Besides, he's still young. He's around the age of 12 or 13 right now.

Its better he doesn't become lelouch.IT WILL BE HORRIBLE.
Apr 20, 2013 10:00 PM

Dec 2009
AnimeHAwk616 said:
waalex11 said:

he voiced in SAO?
I thought he did Kirito's voice, but my mistake xD
Apr 20, 2013 10:00 PM

Jul 2010
I think Yukin Kaji's voice suits Eren really good.he's gotten better with emotions.i like the anime still.
Apr 20, 2013 10:02 PM

Apr 2013
iWriter88 said:
Not to be mean or anything, but honestly the voice actor who plays Eren is the same guy who's butchered an absurd amount of animes. His characters are always the same: the whiny, self-absorbed type who always wastes away episodes with small problems (ep. 3, can't balance yourself? -- end up talking about it for half the episode...). He's played Haruyuki in Accel World (literally dropped immediately when I thought the voice was familiar, and then realized Shou), Shou (dear god it was like two episodes to get the MC's shit together after every problem), and Alibaba in Magi (meh, i thought he did an ok job but still there were those episodes where Alibaba would wallow in self pity).

It's a shame because Shingeki no Kyojin had such a wonderful start. I'm hoping it doesn't go the road of Guilty Crown or Sword Art Online -- debatable, not wishing to start a discussion on SAO -- where the first episode is out of the world good, but then the subsequent ones become less and less interesting.

Thoughts? Do you guys think the VA is the problem, or the character design is the problem, or it's too early to make any judgment, or that there's no problem at all?

Edit for clarification: I'm not even really complaining about GC. GC suffered from a ton of flaws. However, I will say that I have not been impressed at all with this voice actor in his depictions of main characters, and he's starting to get to me in this anime. Having a quality voice actor really does make a difference -- two famous MC's, Lelouch and Yagami are proof of that) -- and poor voice acting can easily ruin an anime. One just needs to watch an anime in subs vs. dubs to find proof of this.

...Well, have fun with the discussion guys. :D I'm fairly sure this is going to be a pretty controversial opinion, but who knows, maybe I'll see some similar thinking.
so your logic is that animes are bad and turn out bad because of the voice of the MC ? rofl.. fyi Eren becomes less annoying with times but he's still a shounen (naruto type) character. the supporting cast is where its at.
Apr 20, 2013 10:08 PM

Jan 2008
Red_Keys said:
iWriter88 said:

That's pretty much what I thought of as well.

I'm not a Yuki Kaiji fan nor do I even consider him a favorite but it really does annoy me when people start trash talking shit about him in every show he VA's as the main character, which is pretty much every show after Guilty Crown.

Oh and just ignore my shoe gif if it shows up, I don't have anything against him, I just like the reference.
Apr 20, 2013 10:18 PM
May 2012
First,Kaji was in SAO? And I don't understand why people don't complain about Alibaba's voice.
Apr 20, 2013 10:23 PM

Sep 2011
All those characters are meant to be weak and maybe annoying...
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Apr 20, 2013 10:25 PM

Jan 2008
Demonspeed said:
First,Kaji was in SAO? And I don't understand why people don't complain about Alibaba's voice.

He wasn't in SAO, people just bring up SAO and Guilty Crown together because both were shitstorms of the seasons.

As for Alibaba not being complained about, I'm not sure as I'm not a Kaji hater, but I guess it's because:

1. They never even watched it.
2. They think Shu is more than enough of a role to use him to complain about, if not, they bring up Haru from Accel World.
3. He wasn't a wuss...? I don't know, someone I was 'interacting with' brought that up.
Apr 20, 2013 10:28 PM

Sep 2012
Because SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN is bullshit and the MC is like that annoying wimpy Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki.
Apr 20, 2013 10:31 PM
Nov 2011
Friendly Advice - Just ignore posters who deliberately want to annoy people who like the series.

Way more interesting things to do.
Apr 20, 2013 10:33 PM

Mar 2012
Paul said:
Demonspeed said:

He wasn't in SAO, people just bring up SAO and Guilty Crown together because both were shitstorms of the seasons.

As for Alibaba not being complained about, I'm not sure as I'm not a Kaji hater, but I guess it's because:

2. They think Shu is more than enough of a role to use him to complain about, if not, they bring up Haru from Accel World.
3. He wasn't a wuss...? I don't know, someone I was 'interacting with' brought that up.
I'm curious of why they never bring his role as Issei into disscusion.
Apr 20, 2013 10:34 PM

Nov 2010
NeoAnkara said:
Paul said:
Demonspeed said:

I'm curious of why they never bring his role as Issei into disscusion.
He also played Lyon in Fairy Tail, people never talked about him. I didn't even recognize him until I looked at the character page.
Apr 20, 2013 10:35 PM

Sep 2012
ElfinMint said:
Because SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN is bullshit and the MC is like that annoying wimpy Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki.
For a wimpy 14 year old, he's pretty good at killing people and surviving multiple attempts of violent murder.
Apr 20, 2013 10:42 PM

Sep 2012
Red_Keys said:
ElfinMint said:
For a wimpy 14 year old, he's pretty good at killing people and surviving multiple attempts of violent murder.

Mirai Nikki is the worst anime adaptation because killing people and wants to be a God is bullshit and Yukiteru ruined and destroy the entire series.
also Yuno Gasai is the most scariest/creepiest/most haunted anime character in history and she is far more scary than that monster from Amnesia horror game.

I think SNK anime is lacking of originality and it is copy-paste of FMA,Mirai Nikki, Ao no Exorcist, Guilty Crown and SAO.
ElfinMintyApr 20, 2013 10:48 PM
Apr 20, 2013 10:46 PM
Nov 2011
Kek. I think someone's in the wrong forum to complain about other series.
Apr 20, 2013 10:50 PM

Oct 2012
ElfinMint said:
Red_Keys said:
ElfinMint said:

Mirai Nikki is the worst anime adaptation because killing people and wants to be a God is bullshit and Yukiteru ruined and destroy the entire series.
also Yuno Gasai is the most scariest/creepiest/most haunted anime character in history and she is far more scary than that monster from Amnesia horror game.

I think SNK anime is lacking of originality and it is copy-paste of FMA,Mirai Nikki, Ao no Exorcist, Guilty Crown and SAO.
Okayy. That's quite an interesting opinion you have there
Apr 20, 2013 10:53 PM

Mar 2011
Looks like it's the decade when people can't tolerate characters who are wimpy, whiny or weak even though it is not much.....
Yuki Kaji voice is fine for Eren imo and don't hate him just because he has voiced some characters you dislike in the past
Well I can understand your worries, but it looks like to me that you're actually complaining about the anime characters which Eren's VA took part such as GC, Magi and Accel World and I don't think just because Yuuki Kaji does Eren's voice, it mean that he will butcher SnK just like GC, Accel World and Magi (not my opinion)
Basically you're placing your worries on the wrong person....
Apr 20, 2013 10:55 PM

Jan 2009
its the common formula or ingredient on any shounen series and that is to make the main hero as pathetic as possible
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1659 by AvenSawanami »»
Jun 22, 7:21 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

993 by AvenSawanami »»
Jun 20, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1558 by cosmic_cosmo »»
Jun 19, 9:51 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

omega_d94 - Aug 17, 2013

499 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 19, 9:48 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MermaidGalaxies - May 11, 2013

952 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 17, 6:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.