Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jan 12, 2013 8:40 AM

Feb 2009
Elite60 said:
Shaft does it again!

I wonder why Sasami is unable to go outside? Everytime she steps outside, she faints and ends up back at her bed.

She is Jitaku Kebi'in after all. Outside is too bright, hot, noisy, anyoing!!

The content of ep 01 was too weird!
Dù cho biển cạn núi mòn,
Server còn chạy, ta còn chơi game.
Jan 12, 2013 9:01 AM
Feb 2012
Talk about mindfuck. And chocolate.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 12, 2013 10:51 AM

Jun 2007
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK DID I JUST WATCH
Jan 12, 2013 11:28 AM

Apr 2010
If one thing is for certain it's that all characters in this anime have issues.
The little sister that is so spoiled that she doesn't care about anything the big brother who is so obsessed with his little sister that he doesn't care about anything else.
The teacher that plays eroge at school and defeats evil gods with her little sisters and one of those sisters appears to be a elementary schooler with a adult body.
It was interesting in a way.
Jan 12, 2013 11:33 AM
Sep 2011
This show is very different, and I understand how that may scare people off, but frankly I loved this first episode. It reminded me of Hellsing Ultimate in a way, in how the plot seems ridiculous and non-sensicle but it is so F***ING awesome that you really just don't care.
The characters seem to be your stereotypical Visual Novel characters turned up to 11, which is what they are intending to go for shown by how the lead character is parodying visual novel protagonists, obscuring his face in every shot.
Speaking of how they obscured his face the directing in this was superb, along with the animation on the characters, that fight scene looked stunning along with the kickass OST in the background.

Honestly this show feels like a mix of Hellsing Ultimate and Panty and Stocking if they were directed by Shinbo and had the budget equal to a small middle eastern country, and I loved every second of this first episope and am definity interested in seeing more. Of course if you aren't into wierd shows that don't take themselves too seriously then you should probably give this a miss.

*Edit* I'm really suprised how many people don't get the joke of him having something constantly obscuring his face, I thought it was really obvious. For those of you who don't know the obscuring of the face is a common trick done in eroge visual novels in order to allow the player to put themselves into the roll of the male lead. The show also goes further in the parodying visual novels by having the three females in the school incredibly standard visual novel tropes(the big boobed blonde one, the red headed tsundere and the serious black haired one), but it seem to have put their character traits right up to 11.
edl01Jan 12, 2013 11:38 AM
Jan 12, 2013 11:46 AM
Nov 2010
Pettersson said:
AwesomeCamper said:
Pretty generic so far. But I like it.

Wwwwwwwhhhaaaaaaaattttttttthhhhhhhhhheeeefffffffffuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaccccccckkkkk
A "generic" Shaft show, maybe?
Jan 12, 2013 12:05 PM

Oct 2008
WTF did I just watch? I knew I was going to see something bizarre coming from SHAFT, but this exceeded my expectations in terms of "bizarreness"
Jan 12, 2013 12:08 PM

Sep 2011
Yup this is definitely SHAFT's work.
Jan 12, 2013 12:09 PM

Oct 2011
I realy like this amime~
I can't wait to see what happens next
Jan 12, 2013 12:41 PM
Oct 2010
lmao what the hell was that haha. Was pretty entertaining though.
Jan 12, 2013 1:35 PM

Nov 2009
Misdreavius said:
HARE HARE YUKAI!

Can't believe Shaft would just outright have the mc dance that O.o

Obviously had no idea what was going on with the chocolate but loved it.

Noticed it straight away...

lol'd!
Jan 12, 2013 2:03 PM

Oct 2011
Something wrong with the score? It's rated 6, averaged out of an astonishing total of ONE person.

What?
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Jan 12, 2013 2:47 PM

Oct 2007
Just because it is Shaft that doesn't mean it will be good.
Just because it is Shaft that doesn't mean it will be unique.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jan 12, 2013 2:47 PM

Jul 2011
http://omonomono.com/2013/01/12/sasami-sanganbaranai-episode-1-conjectures/
I'll just leave that here.

BRSxIgnition said:
Something wrong with the score? It's rated 6, averaged out of an astonishing total of ONE person.

What?

I guess the ranking still isn't updated with the new scores. maybe tomorrow we can see the true average score.

---

Anyway... a 7/10 episode? Completely confusing, but I was very entertained. Also, I liked how they played those estereotypical personalities in such exaggerated and ridiculous flair. If the theories I posted above are true and the story will use them not as "symbolism just for the sake of looking cool", we may have a hidden gem here.

Edit:
Siva said:

True, but the more I read about it, the more I'm convinced that it truly has good potential.

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Jan 12, 2013 2:48 PM

Oct 2009
SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT.

Dat Hare Hare Yukai. I don't know man.
Jan 12, 2013 3:02 PM

Oct 2007
Mary_Vanucchi said:

Siva said:

True, but the more I read about it, the more I'm convinced that it truly has good potential.
The fact is that the good potential that you were talking about did not exist in this episode.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jan 12, 2013 3:20 PM
Sep 2011
This show seems to have split people into 2 camps right now, the "this is amazing" camp and the "it's too wierd so I hate it forever" camp.

Ironically it seems that the majority of the haters are people who don't get the joke of the brother constantly obscuring his face with scenery.
edl01Jan 12, 2013 3:26 PM
Jan 12, 2013 3:21 PM

Jan 2012
It was really pretty weird oO
The brother looks like a weird pedophile too...
Oh well it was nonetheless pretty fun ;p
Jan 12, 2013 3:59 PM

Oct 2008
I lost it at the Hare Hare Yukai. I never felt so raped in my life before...

5/5
Jan 12, 2013 4:41 PM

Aug 2011
I enjoyed the chocolate puns when Sasami was browsing websites. However when the outside area became chocolate-infested and the girls were battling them with boob missiles, it started to get quite mundane to watch, like a joke that should have stopped a while ago.

Sasami herself didn't make any meaningful connections with me, although I assumed that from her unmotivated, lazy attitude from the first scene. I guess her brother always having a concealed face provides a hook for me anticipate with in future episodes. I'm not a fan of the powdery, misty style of Sasami's room but I can deal with it.

Animation was of great quality, I was surprised at how they decided to show Sasami's clothing change in one continuous shot, her movements were really fluid there. Love the redhead character too.
Jan 12, 2013 5:21 PM

Jul 2008
TehVict said:
Some GIFs:

Also, I'm trying to give reviewing episodes of an anime weekly a shot, I just finished reviewing Episode 1, I'd appreciate some feedback!

Perfect gifs, thanks for those.

Jan 12, 2013 5:28 PM

Jun 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
I want to write this and like start stuff about it now. Before I forget.

IMO Sasami's computer has the powers of:
http://myanimelist.net/character/251/Haruhi_Suzumiya
where the computer itself project Sasami's desires. Most likely linked to her brother and in this case the chocolate IMO was somewhat of love desire for her brother perhaps? Just guessing here but yeah that computer can make anything out into reality. Thinking of it as:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanorobots
with lots of them changing all around suddenly.

Anyone else thinks of Sasami's computer as something like that?

Personally I think it has something to do with Sasami, the delusions that she has when she goes out must have something to do with the way the computer snapped.
Jan 12, 2013 5:41 PM

Nov 2012
No idea why I loved it, but I loved it.
Jan 12, 2013 7:51 PM

Jul 2010
SHAFT/5
Jan 12, 2013 7:53 PM

Oct 2010
Snaita said:
Yumekichi11 said:
I want to write this and like start stuff about it now. Before I forget.

where the computer itself project Sasami's desires. Most likely linked to her brother and in this case the chocolate IMO was somewhat of love desire for her brother perhaps? Just guessing here but yeah that computer can make anything out into reality. Thinking of it as:

Anyone else thinks of Sasami's computer as something like that?

Personally I think it has something to do with Sasami, the delusions that she has when she goes out must have something to do with the way the computer snapped.
I know! It's like her machine that makes her the God all mention her to be.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 12, 2013 8:22 PM
Dec 2012
"Shinbou, Akiyuki - Director"

No wonder it sucked.
This community is terrible.
Jan 12, 2013 8:44 PM

Sep 2011
Mary_Vanucchi said:
---
Anyway... a 7/10 episode? Completely confusing, but I was very entertained. Also, I liked how they played those estereotypical personalities in such exaggerated and ridiculous flair. If the theories I posted above are true and the story will use them not as "symbolism just for the sake of looking cool", we may have a hidden gem here.

Mary_Vanucchi said:

THANK YOU, someone else on the same page as me. I'm hoping they're not just gonna use the quirks for the sole purpose of being quirky.

So far I agree with this one bit of speculation from the link you provided:
Alternatively, Onii-chan could be Tsukuyomi (and that means Sasami is Amaterasu). Well, that would make a lot of sense–in that case Onii-chan having problems with chocolate might lead to also the chocolate madness, since he would have god-powers. In that case Onii-chan covers his face to indicate Amaterasu banishing Tsukuyomi (thus creating day and night in the Shinto creation myth).

Also if one recalls the legend (though I could be wrong here): didn't Susanoo use the three objects (sisters in this case) bring out Amaterasu from her cave (Sasami as a hikikomori) to bring "light" upon the outside world?

If that's true and they do something with that idea, judging by the references and theories being made regarding the connections it has to those legends, hopefully this can turn into something much more than just being a random "WTF" show. ^_^
ronriJan 12, 2013 8:49 PM
Jan 12, 2013 9:20 PM

Jan 2012
My mind is unresponsive after watching this. What the...
Jan 12, 2013 11:01 PM

Jan 2012
what the fuck did i just watch.
Jan 12, 2013 11:27 PM

Jun 2008
That was so weird, but I freaking loved it.
Jan 13, 2013 12:33 AM

Sep 2011
tbh, I'm getting tired of all this weird sibling relations and this the worst I've seen by far.
I don't like the characters and I think I missed all the references.
I'll give it two more eps...
Jan 13, 2013 1:07 AM

Dec 2008
what the hell i just watched????

really confusing as f*ck.. but interesting to watch.... typically shaft anime.. lol

yeah.. but it's good... certainly will watch more...

Jan 13, 2013 2:54 AM

Oct 2010
Reminds me of Jinrui with more action.
Jan 13, 2013 3:22 AM

Sep 2009
"LOL WHAT?", was my reaction to Episode 1.

Definitely got that SHAFT touch alright. Beautiful and abstract scenery is what I love in an Anime but aside from that I could barely make heads or tails of what this was trying to tell me.

Gotta hand it to SHAFT. Always walking that fine line between incomprehensible gibberish and absolute brilliance. I think I'll like this, have no idea what transpired in the last 25 minutes, but I think I'll like this :)
Jan 13, 2013 4:07 AM

Oct 2010
Here is a bunch of info most people seem to have missed now some are just additions to what was claimed again. Perhaps I might make it easier with pics to understand things.
  • First of in the spoiler
    make no mistake as to what this is. It’s none other than this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros
    Notice how the forms do that. It refers to Ouroboros. Now many might ask WTF is that doing in Sasami. Perhaps you should know that in Sasami there are many things that recur and redo itself in a cyclic pattern. All the time reshaping. Well anime does that itself a lot. Reinvents itself.

However the most shocking aspect is what it can show its viewers in terms of Japan itself since the setting takes place in a social area. IMO Sasami itself will try to show what repeats itself such as Valentine’s day and reinvents itself and computer obsessions. Basically problematic in Japanese society with a strong symbolism.

Incest is another non stop cycle in Japan and in the world. It never goes away and Ouroboros represents the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting from the beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished. Anime is one of them but more lust and how a society was raised such as Japan was after WW2. This is truly a strong symbol and the series in general will show much elements that are self-reflexive or cyclical, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things perceived as cycles that begin anew as soon as they end. Incest is easily one among the multi terms this series showed. Chocolate is another too. Love is another. Too much.

• Tsurugi mentions this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansel_and_Gretel
    A direct reference to a popular Fairy Tail.

• This is a shot in the spoiler
    from the OP and it shows the privates of Sasami? That was quite surprising and she does not seem to have panties on. In fact I was surprised to find such a shot in the OP itself.

• Many mention the reference to religion. Well in the spoiler
    it’s the direct reference to it. You can each of the 2 Deities Weapons and the 2 people that most of the time represent them during festivals. As such they are mostly dressed like that. Animes showed that in the past.

• In the spoiler
    Sasami has many hacks but notice of the terms “Skynet” and of “ECHELON” Skynet is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyNET
    So possible reference to Terminator and also from how Kagami got some weapons out. Then there is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON
    WTF? Hacking that is nearly impossible I hear cause of its security. It’s really hard. So Sasami must be some genius in computers.

• The whole popping cherry in the spoiler
    is a reference too easily to see as the sister wants to be the first one and losing it to her brother. The pose and reaction she has after fuel up jealousy towards Tsurugi.

• The virus in the computer was mentioned at first as: I want to write this and like start stuff about it now. Before I forget.

However with the spoiler
    it was more combined with a Virus hence being some nanomite breeding out of control virus. The demon part was just the jealousy and negativity of Sasami IMO. They combined Tech + Infection + Religious notions. Pretty wild.

• Reference to:
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/529/Saikano
    From the looks of the spoiler
    weapons falling out like that was the obvious give away.

• Possible reference to:
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/9934/Nekogami_Yaoyorozu
    Due to shopping mall name being Yayorozu.
That’s it for the different elements I found out of whom I can remember.

There is also the question of the creator whom is:
http://myanimelist.net/people/5157/Akira
Now upon seeing, I got pleased by the following fact:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3577/Kyouran_Kazoku_Nikki
He made that anime and it was one heck of a insane THRILL RIDE! That’s all I am going to say. Man the elements were as wild as this first episode for all 26 episodes. I loved that series for its random and am pleased to see that he made this series. Now S2 of Nikki would be a good step next for him. Needs a good closure or a new start again. Way too cool series. If you did not see it! NOW IS TIME! I recommend and ecchi levels are not even as bad as this series. Means there is about the same level or less.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 13, 2013 4:18 AM

Jun 2011
ronri said:
I dunno if people realized this but to quote someone from Random Curiosity:

Tsurugi, Tama und Kagami refer to the Imperial Regalia, i.e. the sword Kusanagi no tsurugi which was used by the god Susanoo to slay the many-headed serpent Yamata-no-Orochi, the jewel Yasakani no magatama and the mirror Yata no kagami which were both used to lure the sun goddess Amaterasu out of her cave to illuminate the world again.

Sasami and Kamiomi’s surname is Tsukuyomi.

Amaterasu, Susanoo and Tsukuyomi are siblings and the gods ruling over the sun, moon and night, respectively.

For all we know, this could very well be some bizarre take on these legends depending on how they play out the characters' respective roles. I'd hazard a guess that Amaterasu is Sasami in this case since she's the sister of Tsukuyomi (who in this case is probably Kamiomi) and the fact that she's a shut-in hikikomori (the equivalent to Amaterasu's cave).

This was a really nice post and a great catch by you, it makes alot of sense that it might be something to do with what you are saying the opening obviously had alot about gods in it also a shrine maiden. Sasami and Kamiomi were also dressed in some form of tradition clothes (shrine clothes?)

Alternatively, Onii-chan could be Tsukuyomi (and that means Sasami is Amaterasu). Well, that would make a lot of sense–in that case Onii-chan having problems with chocolate might lead to also the chocolate madness, since he would have god-powers. In that case Onii-chan covers his face to indicate Amaterasu banishing Tsukuyomi (thus creating day and night in the Shinto creation myth).

This could also be quite possible as well but it looks like this anime could be an interesting take on old Japanese gods and legends with a mix of a strange version of a Haruhi like god thrown in. I am leaning towards Sasami being Amaterasu considering she cant leave the house and harshly chased out Yagami sisters from her home.

I got to learn more about the sword Kusanagi no tsurugi and the god Susanoo considering Godou in the Campione! light novels gained the sword as his own and has met with Susanoo, he has also been talked about quite a few times also Japanese legends were used in recent volumes.

I did like how the 3 sisters body sizes are reversed with the oldest being the smallest and the youngest being the tallest, im pretty sure Tama is meant to be a elementary schooler considering the red backpack. Though considering they are probably not human i doubt they are the ages they represent.
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Jan 13, 2013 5:41 AM

Sep 2009
Shaft always manages to have the most obscure shows. They somehow make it work though (most of the time).
Jan 13, 2013 8:11 AM

Jul 2012
I am not entertained, but I generally dislike those random shows. I had never liked Haruhi too.

Odjing said:
AwesomeCamper said:
Pretty generic so far. But I like it.

Yeah... No, just no.

I found the episode to be interesting. If future episodes are going to continue to be like this one, then I'm going to continue to watch it.

I am going to ask, but what is so original in this show? it is definitely random and it is definitely a one big acid trip. Despite few small things (like brother holding bag in front of his face), all of those things are nothing new.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

Whatever I write is most likely my opinion, which is based on information I learnt, not universal truth.
You may disagree.

MAL forums are more entertaining than anime themselves.
Jan 13, 2013 8:24 AM

Jul 2011
Does anyone know what japanese otaku think of this show?
I mean, this seems like stuff that works better with japanese people that are more familiarized with the cultural references. Ocidental people will need more research to understand.

ronri said:
Mary_Vanucchi said:
---

Mary_Vanucchi said:

THANK YOU, someone else on the same page as me. I'm hoping they're not just gonna use the quirks for the sole purpose of being quirky.

So far I agree with this one bit of speculation from the link you provided:

Also if one recalls the legend (though I could be wrong here): didn't Susanoo use the three objects (sisters in this case) bring out Amaterasu from her cave (Sasami as a hikikomori) to bring "light" upon the outside world?

If that's true and they do something with that idea, judging by the references and theories being made regarding the connections it has to those legends, hopefully this can turn into something much more than just being a random "WTF" show. ^_^

So we might have an interpretation of japanese mythology based on a modern, hikikomori and SHAFTed perspective? This is getting more interesting.

Yumekichi11 said:

Wow, man. Great research.

BuliTM said:

I am going to ask, but what is so original in this show? it is definitely random and it is definitely a one big acid trip. Despite few small things (like brother holding bag in front of his face), all of those things are nothing new.

Well, if the speculations are correct we can have this:
Mary_Vanucchi said:
So we might have an interpretation of japanese mythology based on a modern, hikikomori and SHAFTed perspective? This is getting more interesting.

And frankly, even if SHAFT shows aren't the most original stuff ever, the way they present things can be very refreshing. I'm not a fangirl of the studio (I just know Madoka and Monogatari series from them) but I dig their direction. Their objective is make things different; it can be good or bad and surely it will always be loved or hated, but I do support their efforts.

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Jan 13, 2013 11:39 AM

Feb 2012
Totally gonna continue watching this show and lol at the siscon brother XD.
Jan 13, 2013 12:02 PM

Jan 2011
This was really, really strange, but it still made more sense than Tamako Market's plot.
I guess things will be explained later, this was very interesting and I'm looking forward to more.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 13, 2013 12:09 PM
Oct 2012
this anime has a really powerfull hidden gem in it, and while most of people are in the "what the hell did i just watch" i'll go to a different path.

the anime is soo well damn animated, i was expecting the visual to be gorgeous (it is SHAFT after all) but the animation was also good, i like all the seyuu choices, i got all the refferences and that hare hare yukai dance made laugh really hard (it is also a really nice way to foreshadow) but what i was not expecting was the battle scenes! not the battle itself, i knew it was gonna happen, it was in the PV's after all, but i was not expecting it to be so well animated! i saw in a post that shinbo said this series will move like any other shaft has done so far <--- that makes me happy.

and the OST was eargasmic, seriously i love the jazz and when the yagami sisters are running to sasami's house

needless to say, i love the shinto X modern world idea, the fact of sasami as amaterasu and that the yagami sisters are actually representations of the 3 regalias made my day, i was already in for the visuals, i will stay for the visuals AND plot

the fact that the creator is also the author or kyouran kazoku nikki makes me look foward to sasami-san every week even more.

i'm very happy with this anime, great job shaft, shinbo and akira.
episode 10/10 for me :3
Jan 13, 2013 12:28 PM

Jan 2012
I was not prepared for this.
Jan 13, 2013 12:44 PM

May 2012
I saw the synopsis for this series a while back and thought it would be ok (only really looking forward to 3 things this season) but now i've seen this i am in love with it!!!! If it is this nonsensicle and rediculous the whole way through (which it probably will since it's shinbou) it will become one of my favourites ever.

I think im in love with that director :\
Jan 13, 2013 1:14 PM

Aug 2012
Glorious and lush in a variety of ways :>

Jan 13, 2013 1:47 PM

Oct 2011
Okay, let's see.... What the hell was that??????? A frickin' siscon that always has his bag on his face, change his sis's clothes with style, dances hare hare yukai!!!
A girl who can't do a single thing, possess Onii-chan surveilance camera (military-level), puke when goes out of the house!!!
Boob missile???? WTH?? The world turn into chocolate!!!! And finally, the sweet sexy pose of Sasami the chocolate!! Nice!!

An interesting yet weird & unique episode, can't wait for the next episode!!
Signature
Jan 13, 2013 2:08 PM

Apr 2010
DAT KOI TO SENKYO TO CHOCOLATE REFERENCE! Anyway what's with all the recent brother's love anime?

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Jan 13, 2013 2:52 PM

Oct 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
About Sasami’s fan service, when she appeared in the following,

I would have devoured her. It was sexually enticing.

Her ass is perfect for its size. Makes you want to bang it. Chest is also not big so perfectly normalized.

Rest of the thoughts follow in my club.

My thoughts exactly.

Also the Hare Hare Yukai by onii-chan was great. xD
Jan 13, 2013 4:09 PM

Apr 2012
That scene where Sasami was changing left me mesmerized.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

140 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:14 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2013

68 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 9, 2023 11:31 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

symbv - Mar 14, 2013

79 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 8, 2023 10:41 PM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Mar 7, 2013

49 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 5, 2023 1:19 AM

Poll: » Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 28, 2013

50 by Tsinelas »»
Dec 4, 2023 12:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.