Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 18, 2014 4:46 PM

Mar 2013
I wonder what happened to Lain's sister Mika ? Remember that she saw that symbol while she is sitting the road. Well, maybe she didn't see but we saw. lol
Oct 19, 2014 3:43 PM

Sep 2014
I'm completely lost. It's hard to watch this show when I have abso-fucking-lutely no idea what's going on.

I like Lain, though, so I'll push through.
Oct 29, 2014 11:29 AM

Jan 2014
Interesting episode...
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
About 75% sure Lain's dad has a hand in all this... If Lain doesnt know where she came from, he definitely does.

hmm...maybe
Zepwich said:
LOLOLOL! Kaaaarrrl!

haha xD
Nov 2, 2014 10:56 AM

Jan 2014
Des said:
Is there really supposed to be a guy at the start of every ep that says "Present day. Present Time, hahaha"? :P

that guy cracks me up so much
Jan 23, 2015 6:04 PM

Jun 2013
sora_yume said:
things are getting clearer now..like lain has really a split personality..
Seems like loads of people have. Remember Lain talking to sprites of her mother and father? Perhaps they were the same as Lain's second personality. Her sister seemed to have ventured outside the wire and got lost somehow. It's as if her personalities swapped places and now the real life sister is lost in the wire somehow. Idk but it's fun to think.
Jan 25, 2015 12:21 PM

Aug 2014
- So it seems those guys weren't from the Knights.
- Lain transformed to her other self when she went into denial and regret.
- There could be more than 2 Lain's. The third could be the one that is the embodiment of the knights.
- The way that guy was walking around with the technology on his head could be what its like for Lain because she is somehow always on the wired in one of her forms.
Jan 28, 2015 8:50 PM
Jan 2012
Finally an episode I could understand something.

Poor Lain, she was so scared. I wonder what she is? Is she even human?

Also wondering what happened to Lain's "sister". Also, who goes in a car with weird stalkers? Also, Karl is HUUUGE
Mar 16, 2015 8:34 AM
Jun 2013
does noone notice the giant wires hanging out the building and I feel kinda bad for mika and her brain deadness. im happy they didint turn lain into a jerk or anything to alice since I could have seen it easily turning into that. this random sexual staring is random. So far all im getting is that knights is a bunch of hacking morons. So does lain have a split personality or is she really being controlled?
Apr 3, 2015 3:54 PM

Dec 2013
Trippier than ever.
The border between the worlds is crumbling. Shit's getting real.
May 4, 2015 12:35 AM

Oct 2013
I want shy Lain to jerk me off
May 8, 2015 4:44 PM
Nov 2014
Lain badass mode is amazing lol, those FBI plebs ain't got shit on her.

Also this lol :
RyanBebop said:
I feel like I'm starting to understand. But at the same time I don't get anything, lol.
Jun 18, 2015 6:26 PM

May 2012
interesting yet again lol, i was kinda curious about why her and her family felt so disconnected all this time, i guess that answers that. i also find it interesting how this anime was made almost 20 years ago and it reflects todays society fairly accurately, in that people take on a different online persona or that the boundary between the internet and real life is in a way becoming more thin
Aug 7, 2015 1:17 PM

Aug 2015
Well, the split personality thing isn't new, but it's really thrown in our face in this episode. What was that all about with birthdays, and her parents, etc? All I can figure is she's adopted or something... but it's probably something a lot more complicated than that.

Keep the answers and big reveals comin', please! :P ★4/5
Aug 8, 2015 9:15 PM

Aug 2014
What confused me the most was real Lain's sudden change of attitude. What was up w that.
Aug 11, 2015 8:20 AM

Jul 2014
As the anime quotes..."Something interesting is beginning", I can't wait to see where this goes.
Knights, it's about time we faced you!
Aug 11, 2015 8:23 AM

Jul 2014
Des said:
Is there really supposed to be a guy at the start of every ep that says "Present day. Present Time, hahaha"? :P

That freaks me out EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME!!! If I hear that ever in real life, I might just have a cardiac attack and die!
Dec 27, 2015 6:16 PM

Dec 2015
The part where in the Wired someone said "Who is Lain?" and the NAVI seems to not know her which means Lain is non-existent exept in the Mind of the people in the real world and in the Wired.
So either there is apower which projects the Image of Lain in the conscious and subconscious to other people or Lain exists but the Wired is completly under her controls so she can hide her existence.
And I dont completly buy that split personality think either, I mean, she doesn't seem be autistic, shizophrenic or suffer psychosis or something like that, because those effects merely the concious, it all happens in the head but here we can see clearly that Lain is influencing others in all behalfs. We learned about LAin that she is not good with computers and all that high tech stuff and now she all the sudden is a freak? It is more like there are completly 2 different entities like we knof from the "fringe" series, a parallel universe, in thes case The Wired and the "real" world. The key to all of this is the Ghost CHip Lain found in her locker.
I think it opened a world through her NAVI and perhaps Lain, the Wired one, is older than the Wired itself and "real" Lain is merely a manifestation to carry out the mission...
We learned that our brain cells receive informations through electric impulses via our synapsis in a similiar matter so works the network, but also through freuequencies. I think those substances (electrical impulses transmitted through neurons and impulses through the network) are merging with eachother, thus Mika's apparent brain damage at the beginning of this episode. I think not so long everyone will be influenced that way, OH MY GOSH! MINDUF@#K!!!
Grey__FoxDec 27, 2015 6:37 PM

We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But... at least I always fought for what I believed in.

Jan 15, 2016 2:58 AM

Jun 2013
Grey__Fox said:
The part where in the Wired someone said "Who is Lain?" and the NAVI seems to not know her which means Lain is non-existent exept in the Mind of the people in the real world and in the Wired.
So either there is apower which projects the Image of Lain in the conscious and subconscious to other people or Lain exists but the Wired is completly under her controls so she can hide her existence.
And I dont completly buy that split personality think either, I mean, she doesn't seem be autistic, shizophrenic or suffer psychosis or something like that, because those effects merely the concious, it all happens in the head but here we can see clearly that Lain is influencing others in all behalfs. We learned about LAin that she is not good with computers and all that high tech stuff and now she all the sudden is a freak? It is more like there are completly 2 different entities like we knof from the "fringe" series, a parallel universe, in thes case The Wired and the "real" world. The key to all of this is the Ghost CHip Lain found in her locker.
I think it opened a world through her NAVI and perhaps Lain, the Wired one, is older than the Wired itself and "real" Lain is merely a manifestation to carry out the mission...
We learned that our brain cells receive informations through electric impulses via our synapsis in a similiar matter so works the network, but also through freuequencies. I think those substances (electrical impulses transmitted through neurons and impulses through the network) are merging with eachother, thus Mika's apparent brain damage at the beginning of this episode. I think not so long everyone will be influenced that way, OH MY GOSH! MINDUF@#K!!!

This is an awesome interpretation of things. You're right, what if Lain is merely a concept/OS/something that the people of the Wired have created?

Also, that delivery guy is pretty sketch. He's always saying he wants a Navi but I'm pretty sure he already owns one, is part of the Knights or is the guy who keeps saying Present Day, Present Time hahahaha in the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised.
臭い-
Jan 20, 2016 3:31 PM

Aug 2014
This was an interesting episode , liked it .
Jan 21, 2016 7:10 PM

Jan 2010
a bit of development here...good episode.
I'm starting to get confused about Lain's true identity...

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 29, 2016 3:17 PM

Aug 2014
Things got pretty intense near the end there. As much as I love shy Lain, seeing her Wired personality is pretty fun to watch.
Apr 26, 2016 9:46 AM

Jan 2016
May 24, 2016 7:29 AM

Feb 2016
If one thinks that lain herself just becomes a different person once she uses her pc but that's probably too easy xD
Jul 30, 2016 1:46 PM
Jul 2014
Thats makes a little more sense but at the same time... not really im like thinking of starting it again but eh might just keep going and see..i like it tho.
Aug 26, 2016 8:38 AM

May 2010
Another good episode. This show is getting there, I'm glad. The questions are finally being answered one by one.
Nov 12, 2016 9:12 AM
Feb 2015
weird anime, dont know what to think about it
Jul 1, 2017 7:42 AM

Jan 2016
Lain seems to have multiple personality disorder rather than there being two of her.

Also

"we don't have names" moments later "Karl!!"
Sep 20, 2017 2:10 PM

May 2015
This show makes me wanna do nothing but communicate using quote bb-codes, so I'm just gonna do exactly that.

RyanBebop said:
I feel like I'm starting to understand. But at the same time I don't get anything, lol.

HikariJake said:
Very good, Lain! Just get in a car with a bunch of strangers who have been following and stalking you for a while now! What could possibly happen?

Zarnaav said:
I wonder if this anime worth my time.
Nov 3, 2017 12:09 AM
Jul 2016
UnoPuntoCinco said:
I want shy Lain to jerk me off

I want wired Lain to step on my dick
Dec 8, 2017 1:45 PM

Jan 2017
Always found her family quite strange. So what is it, i already wrote on episode 6 it could be a personality disorder issue, but if her family is not real (i am, it has always looked quite fake to me, specially the mom) then what exactly is her?Do the Knights use her as their image? If they do, why?

Sister acting creepier each episode. She just gets in a car with bunch of unknown dressed in black dudes, she looses her calm when they started asking all this really ordinary questions and then she just clicks.

The -i presume- hacker mom is also quite interesting. I guess she's with the Knights, what she said (how stuff in reality and in the Wired are totally connected) reminded me of smth quite similar Lain's dad said.

If i were Lain's friends i'd do smth, she's been so weird lately.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 23, 2018 6:40 AM

Oct 2015
I remember proposing the idea that Lain may have multiple personality disorder in episode 3 or so and I'm starting to take back what I said. It seems too simple given what we know about Lain thus far and I'm almost certain that there's more to it than that.

Also something I find weird is that in the beginning Lain says something like "Me in the wired is becoming less and less like me" but when she was questioned by those 3 guys she seemed to be clueless when they asked her "Are the lain in the wired and you the same" which leads me to believe the other lain we see in the real world is actually a projection of the god like entity in wired.

Or idk something like that. The point is the other lain commented on the lain in the wired herself so they can't be the same.
Aug 24, 2018 5:09 PM

May 2018
TowardsTheStars said:
So...is Lain adopted?

*facepalm triggered*
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Oct 14, 2018 6:25 PM

Oct 2016
I guess, with that scene in which Lain was with the men, Lain suddenly changed her attitude because she was pushed to be unstable with all the interrogation, so the "other Lain" that is in the Wired manifests as an alter ego or something like.
And the crazy man that wants to join to Knights is really dead or not.
Well, I'll draw my own conclusions.

Nov 22, 2018 12:41 PM
Jan 2012
very confused and traumatizated this episode. Much enigma.
Apr 14, 2019 6:40 AM

Oct 2012
So they're all anti-Knights
Lain got personality issues.. or it's Wired side-effects
One of the Knights is a housewife

"They have no name"
Few moments later "Karl"
Did he just lie to Lain? xD
"Signature removed"
Apr 24, 2019 11:03 PM

Sep 2013
Was Lain's entire family created by the wired from scratch? Or has each one been replaced by Wired versions of themselves?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 2, 2019 10:20 AM
Jun 2017
I love how this single episode shot down most of my theory.

I thought Lain was previously the Chosen One, but not because she had any kind of super powers, but because she had opened that email. It seems now that she had some kind of purpose beforehand that we didn't knew about, and her family and life is just a facade.
I was correct when I thought Lain's father was some kind of sleeping agent, which he may be, although we don't know if he is Knights' sided.

It appears that Lain is ready to start working to fulfill her purpose, so that's maybe why her sister, which gave the illusion of normality to the family, was abducted by the Wired.

I wonder if Lain may be some sort of an "inbred" artificial experiment as Ayanami Rei was, with the purpose of taking over the Wired for the Knights sake...

Now that I mention Evangelion, I also wonder if the Knights won't be some sort of a SEELE.

The progression of Lain's technology kinda reminds me about Dr. Octopus from Spiderman, knowing how he started to use a lot of technology progressively to construct his robotic arms.

Lain's personality change also reminds me of Lucy, from the movie of the same name. As Lucy starts to use more percentage of her brain, at the end of the movie, she starts to merge with the universe itself. It appears the same is happening to Lain, as she is slowly merging with the Wired and having it take over her body and mind.
Jun 20, 2019 2:18 AM
Mar 2019
I am confused... pls someone tell me what tf is going on.
Aug 1, 2019 4:47 AM
Apr 2016
things are pretty obvious now.....
but when it comes to lain's existence, it's still confusing as hell
Nov 17, 2019 11:16 AM

Nov 2008
Finally some light is starting to be shed on the whole thing after half a season of confusion...
Dec 23, 2019 7:41 AM

Sep 2019
tbh, I expected a scene with the joker saying: "we live in a society..... PRESENT TIME HAHAHAHAH". ngl kinda dissapointed :(
one piece
episode 321
15:46 (or 16:33)
you're welcome
Apr 28, 2020 9:50 AM

Feb 2019
Let the mama play with you shou-chan!
May 15, 2020 4:15 AM

Dec 2013
Ohhh so this episode somehow makes sense although l still have questions. So basically the Phantomia game was originated or based on the experiment made by the professor in previous ep and The Knights, who, I can say the main antagonist in this show got something to do with the game (like illegally disseminating it to children) and they have plans that could harm a lot of people, children particularly. Since Lain has a huge influence in wired, she was being used by The Knights and it seems that the real world Lain isn't aware of it and the wired Lain may be involved with it. So those other characters like the housewife is part of the Knights.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jun 20, 2020 10:02 AM

May 2016
It was interesting to see the exact moment where Lain's personality changes since it pretty much confirmed that her Wired consciousness is powerful enough to hijack her physical body when she needs to.

The lines between worlds are getting blurred and it makes me wonder about what's real or not at this point, with Lain not being able to recall any details about her family being the first thing that comes to mind. I'm keen on finding out about what Knights and the Men in Black are really trying to accomplish later on.

Jul 31, 2020 3:19 AM

Feb 2020
Now there's no doubt, Lain's personality disorder is 100% confirmed. And it happened when she was being overwhelmed by emotions. And considering how she generally is pretty aloof, I think I'm starting to figure out how her psyche works. We very rarely see Lain displaying much emotions, because anytime things become too much for her to handle, she shifts into her "wild" self.

That's also what happened at the club, she seemed to be in a state of shock, and then "Wired Lain" took the lead, the only difference with the two situations being that at the club, she only froze, while in this episode she was completely panicked and it showed. She definitely seems to have a broken psyche and to be a very fragile girl, who unconsciously created herself a second identity in a way for her to protect herself. Maybe I was right with my theory about her being neglected ?

After all, what led her to break was the man pointing out how weird her family life is. And everything goes along with those sequences with her parents in episode 5. They didn't seem to talk to her about anything else than philosophical stuff, and never actually talked to her like parents talking to their kid. All of this would explain why she's spending so much time all alone in her room with her computer : she's lonely, not only at school but also at home, and thus since as long as she can remember.

What further confirms this theory is the fact that Lain's sole reason to work on computers is for her to be able to talk to people and have friends.
Friends are all that she wants and it has been shown many times. In the end, she just wants to have a normal life with people who care about her.

But now the question is: why exactly are her parents treating her like this ? Given the show's tone, I don't believe there's nothing more than just their family being dysfunctional. There's something about Lain that leads her parents to treat her a certain way. Could it be that she really has been a victim of the old guy's experiments ? And maybe Lain's parents truly aren't her true ones, but they adopted her due to her having some potential that has been revealed through the experiments ? The father is a kind of scientist after all.

Finally, I wanted to add something about the other Lain : we actually met her before meeting the Lain we're familiar with. In episode 1, Lain's very first line was "Can't you all shut up" (or something like that). It always bothered me due to it sounding completely out-of-character, and that especially didn't make sense as this scene was supposed to establish Lain's character. But now I realise it did, in a different way, by revealing to us Lain's split personality. I wonder what triggered her though...
But it is interesting to note how the Other Lain's main trait seems to be agressivity. This is so different from the Lain we know, but it probably is a manifestation of all her negative feelings that she is unable to express.
And lastly : regular Lain feels younger than her age, almost like a kid, while the other one actually feels like a teen.
This detail also seems to confirm my theory... I feel so bad for her.

But all of this still makes me confuse about what is really going on with Wired Lain. Lain is aware of her existence (though, judging by her reaction to her in the last scene, that doesn't mean she has accepted it), and is also aware of her seemingly becoming her own self... But is she really becoming her own self, or is it more complicated than that ? After all, while Lain is aware of Wired Lain's existence, she doesn't seem to be aware of her split personality, basically we can't really rely on her as she doesn't seem to see the full picture. Maybe it isn't that Wired Lain is becoming her own self, but that Lain's split personality is starting overcome her... However Lain raised an important point : Wired Lain is becoming more and more different from regular Lain.
It could mean that what happened in last episodes wasn't the Lain we know changing, but her split personality taking control of her, while at the same time changing herself. It's not the Lain we know who's changing, but the other one.
I really wonder what that means...
And also, what happened to the guy in the end ? He is definitely dead, but who killed him ? The men in black, the Knights, or Lain ?
Sep 17, 2020 10:48 PM

Jul 2016
The whole issue with the KIDS system was left aside in such a way... honestly, sometimes I wish the series didn't do this kind of things this often. I mean, the same happened with the other plot points regarding Chisa, the drug and the PHANTOMa game some episodes ago.

Well, guess now it's technically confirmed that Lain doesn't have some sort of personality disorder (well, at least not in the conventional sense of the word) but the truth is that her Wired persona/avatar occasionally merges with her "real world" self. Something intermediately related to the fact of the limits between Wired and reality becoming less and less recognizable.

As for the Men in Black, I guess they are some sort of "supervisors" that are deeply concerned about Lain's "unnatural" presence in the Wired as well as her relationship with Knights. Their intentions might be to want to keep the boundaries between Wired and reality clearly demarcated but of course, Knights want the total opposite. Creating, in the process, the opposition between these two groups. Wonder if those three people (the hot housewife; the businessman and the fat-ass NEET) are part of Knights, by the way. It seems so...
Sep 30, 2020 1:12 AM
Aug 2020
first episode to make some sense to me wow!
Nov 9, 2020 3:02 PM
Jun 2020
I just wanna know how all this is killing ppl?? and how its ultimately connected to the beginning of the show.
Nov 9, 2020 3:04 PM
Jun 2020
Fafette said:
Now there's no doubt, Lain's personality disorder is 100% confirmed. And it happened when she was being overwhelmed by emotions. And considering how she generally is pretty aloof, I think I'm starting to figure out how her psyche works. We very rarely see Lain displaying much emotions, because anytime things become too much for her to handle, she shifts into her "wild" self.

That's also what happened at the club, she seemed to be in a state of shock, and then "Wired Lain" took the lead, the only difference with the two situations being that at the club, she only froze, while in this episode she was completely panicked and it showed. She definitely seems to have a broken psyche and to be a very fragile girl, who unconsciously created herself a second identity in a way for her to protect herself. Maybe I was right with my theory about her being neglected ?

After all, what led her to break was the man pointing out how weird her family life is. And everything goes along with those sequences with her parents in episode 5. They didn't seem to talk to her about anything else than philosophical stuff, and never actually talked to her like parents talking to their kid. All of this would explain why she's spending so much time all alone in her room with her computer : she's lonely, not only at school but also at home, and thus since as long as she can remember.

What further confirms this theory is the fact that Lain's sole reason to work on computers is for her to be able to talk to people and have friends.
Friends are all that she wants and it has been shown many times. In the end, she just wants to have a normal life with people who care about her.

But now the question is: why exactly are her parents treating her like this ? Given the show's tone, I don't believe there's nothing more than just their family being dysfunctional. There's something about Lain that leads her parents to treat her a certain way. Could it be that she really has been a victim of the old guy's experiments ? And maybe Lain's parents truly aren't her true ones, but they adopted her due to her having some potential that has been revealed through the experiments ? The father is a kind of scientist after all.

Finally, I wanted to add something about the other Lain : we actually met her before meeting the Lain we're familiar with. In episode 1, Lain's very first line was "Can't you all shut up" (or something like that). It always bothered me due to it sounding completely out-of-character, and that especially didn't make sense as this scene was supposed to establish Lain's character. But now I realise it did, in a different way, by revealing to us Lain's split personality. I wonder what triggered her though...
But it is interesting to note how the Other Lain's main trait seems to be agressivity. This is so different from the Lain we know, but it probably is a manifestation of all her negative feelings that she is unable to express.
And lastly : regular Lain feels younger than her age, almost like a kid, while the other one actually feels like a teen.
This detail also seems to confirm my theory... I feel so bad for her.

But all of this still makes me confuse about what is really going on with Wired Lain. Lain is aware of her existence (though, judging by her reaction to her in the last scene, that doesn't mean she has accepted it), and is also aware of her seemingly becoming her own self... But is she really becoming her own self, or is it more complicated than that ? After all, while Lain is aware of Wired Lain's existence, she doesn't seem to be aware of her split personality, basically we can't really rely on her as she doesn't seem to see the full picture. Maybe it isn't that Wired Lain is becoming her own self, but that Lain's split personality is starting overcome her... However Lain raised an important point : Wired Lain is becoming more and more different from regular Lain.
It could mean that what happened in last episodes wasn't the Lain we know changing, but her split personality taking control of her, while at the same time changing herself. It's not the Lain we know who's changing, but the other one.
I really wonder what that means...
And also, what happened to the guy in the end ? He is definitely dead, but who killed him ? The men in black, the Knights, or Lain ?

This has has actually made this make sense to me, thank you lmao
Jan 9, 2021 8:59 AM

Aug 2018
This explains quite a few usefull things, also Lain questioning her parents about if they really created her was a dark scene
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

_k1_ - Feb 7, 2009

165 by Yin_Shaolun »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

146 by PistaLakatos »»
Sep 21, 3:05 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

391 by fasoliadis »»
Sep 19, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

130 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 13, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

142 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 12, 11:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.