Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2009 8:16 PM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting... a very different side of Lain is appearing. And she's not a 'kid'?

I definitely can't wait to watch more of this.
Aug 30, 2009 5:53 AM

Jan 2009
Definitely feeling that there's just one other Lain in town.
Nov 20, 2009 9:20 AM

Aug 2009
Wow. It's getting better and better. This thing is not only psychodelic trip. It has its own religion.
Dec 1, 2009 11:25 PM

Apr 2009
I guess there is other Lain...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2009 12:13 PM

Oct 2009
Very interesting so far. And I think It's gonna get even better later on.
Jul 26, 2010 11:36 PM

Feb 2009
Just wow... and what are those guys? Argh, need to watch next.

Oh and it's official, SEL has th ebest OP and ED ever, as well as outstanding soundtrack.
Oct 11, 2010 9:35 PM

Oct 2008
Her personality really changed, .__.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 26, 2011 3:52 AM

Apr 2010
Lain is already so different from the personalitity she showed in the first episode. I'm curious to see the other Lain, though.

If you don't remember something, it never happened. If you aren't remembered, you never existed. <3
Apr 5, 2011 1:09 PM
Sep 2009
I'm interested to see where the character of Lain's mother goes. She's cold and even downright rude to her daughters, but affectionate toward her husband when they're not around. Interesting.
May 25, 2011 9:48 PM

May 2010
MY BRAIN

OUCH
Jun 10, 2011 12:38 AM

Aug 2010
What the hell happened with the fragile super shy Lain??? does she have multiple personalities??
And who are those guys in black??? whats their business with Lain??
What exactly are the "Wired"??

ARRRG so many questions need to watch more!!
Dec 6, 2011 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
I think this episode ended before it really did anything. I guess it's setting things up for later. At least we've learned a little more about that person-thing with changing faces. And hacked games are that much of a problem?

Oh man, I wish I was online back in the late 90s, where apparently computers could do anything.
Dec 19, 2011 10:39 PM

Jan 2010
Interesting how Lain's personality is actually revealing/developing instead of "receding". What happened to all the delusions?
Feb 11, 2012 8:26 AM

Apr 2011
I think this series is getting progressively more interesting for me. Not to say the first three episodes weren't interesting, but I really liked this episode.
I have a theory as to what's going on, but I don't really have enough evidence. Maybe I'll be more or less convinced by the end.
May 22, 2012 3:11 AM

Jan 2012
This episode was great. Probably best so far. So Lain's other personality is starting to show. And what the hell was that power in the end? O_O

Oct 14, 2012 3:51 PM

May 2012
Wow, It's getting more and more interesting, though I have to say I prefer the autistic Lain. Who are those Men-In-Black guys, anyway? Great series so far.
Nov 14, 2012 9:07 AM

Apr 2011
It's not letting me down so far.
Dec 8, 2012 11:54 AM

May 2012
This keeps getting weirder and weirder and more and more questions are popping up, especially that ending, dafuq does she has some kind of super powers, who are those man in black and what's up with her personality changing so fast, really keeps me thrilled and filled with questions!
Dec 17, 2012 7:02 AM
Jul 2012
It seems that Wired is something between the internet and an operating system and the kids like to play games on it, like that Phantoma game. I wonder who that little girl is and why she killed those guys and is she actually dead. That part reminded me of Mirai Nikki - it was some kind of game, she killed two guys, went to kill the third, and he killed her. On to 5.
Jan 25, 2013 10:26 PM

Nov 2011
Knights of the Eastern Calculus huh? This should be good.
Feb 4, 2013 6:37 PM

Sep 2011
She literally went 180 on us.
Feb 12, 2013 1:21 AM

Jan 2013
The English Dub isn't so bad.
Her parents act strangely towards her
Feb 27, 2013 6:11 AM

May 2012
Worst dad ever that's for sure...
Step 1: Give young daughter a super-computer
Step 2: Dont give a shit what she does with it (even though she acts really creepy)
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Profit

Although i do love every other aspect of the show - The Lynch-esq bizarre imagery, the Matrix foreshadowing, the amazing OP and an interesting storyline that keeps changing!

Also, we're living in 2013 and my PC still doesn't do any of the cool shit hers does! No fair xD
who_dat_ninjaMar 12, 2013 11:17 AM
May 9, 2013 2:12 AM

Aug 2007
So it looks like the suicides are really murders or otherwise connected to a hacker group?

Also, I can't tell if Lain's personality is changing rather than switching. She seems more talkative and stern. I'm really amused by the super computer she modified that now has taken over her bedroom, though xD

Also, was there some telekinesis involved, or was that an ability from The Wire? It seems the theme is that everyone is connected to it regardless of it being on the computer. I guess we are expecting to see increasingly blurred lines of reality and "online" as the show progresses.

Jun 7, 2013 5:04 AM

Apr 2013
Things have gotten even more weird. And Lain's personality changed a lot in this episode. And what exactly is this Wired. What was that supper power of Lain? Too many damn questions. Need to watch more.
Jun 18, 2013 3:08 PM

Jan 2011
this has been boring so far
Jun 26, 2013 11:23 AM

Feb 2013
I'm liking Lain's second personality so far. Though I can't tell if that's her real personality or just a personality she gained from being in the Wired...

Also, this show keeps getting weirder with each episode. O_o

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 28, 2013 8:11 AM

Mar 2013
Lain's probably only getting scarier and scarier.
Aug 10, 2013 3:49 PM

Jan 2012
Damn, judging how that episode ended, guessing Lain Is fully wired now? She wanted to scare those two anonymous guys away, and by shouting, she broke one of the dudes eyepiece (Nothing happened to the window, so guessing only wired stuff get influenced by her?
Her second personalities getting way more interesting, her conversation with her father shows that he's a surprised with her new persona. I'm just wandering how she changes her personalities... Does it change with how she changes her computer? First it being a timid child's computer (her attitude at the beginning) and now, its more vast (her computer being a basically a super computer)
REALLY am enjoying this, so many questions are arising, and i'm guessing this is just the beginning.
Oct 20, 2013 7:21 PM

Jun 2013
Still makes no damn sense, yet i still am liking it lol :)
Oct 28, 2013 6:50 PM

Mar 2012
Lain got dem hax.
Nov 2, 2013 7:13 AM

Feb 2011
maybe lain's father didn't say to her what the chip was to see if she would have discovered it on her own? or was just trying to avoid lain to discover it
he and the mother seems to already know something about wired lain, but wonder why the sister is so clueless then

:| creepy loli chase in the night.. (dunno why but seeing the guy running away and say "shit" every second made me laugh instead.. :/ the big guys is scared of lolies xD)

still wonder who did send that psyche chip to lain in the first place, not her father, not the cyberstalkers guys, wonder who

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 5, 2013 1:29 AM
Nov 2013
Interesting episode, though a little hard to follow.

Lain's remark about the line between the wired and the real world not being too clear was interesting, when paired with the final scene. It seemed as if she used her navi to do break the suit's facemask in the real world. Maybe the suit's previous remarks of "we aren't here" were true, and they actually only exist in the wired, but are able to impose themselves on the real world, like a reverse of what lain was talking about doing.

I do get the feeling that we have been watching a different personality of lain's, or that she hides her real personality when in public. And there is something creepy about both of her parents, especially the mom. I get the feeling they are both more than meets the eye.

I also wonder where the giant stack of navi parts in Lain's room came from...

The keyhole scene was a little irritating, it's not *that* hard to put a key in a hole.

Lots of questions, but i'm definitely left wanting to watch more.
SatanicBeaverDec 5, 2013 1:32 AM
Dec 5, 2013 2:41 AM

Nov 2013
I think this was my first anime series on DVD that I bought as a set in that format. Now it's on Blu-ray and I'm debating whether to invest in the high def format for this series.

Love the music, too. BoA is a versatile, talented singer, and LAIN's music lead me to her other albums over the years. The end theme, "Toh-i Sakebi" by Chabo, opens with the most incredible guitar amp distortion. As an amp builder, I consider that the ultimate overdriven sound. The Japanese have a gift for making music that I enjoy. And BoA's 'remix' version of the LAIN opening theme is bass pig heaven.

This series has some unique plot development and is definitely a little strange in several ways. The use of technology signals that this is a change of era anime: the internet is coming on strong in 1999, and LAIN's version of it, as I gather, is "The Wired". Where it gets weird is the concept of souls transitioning from the physical organic world to the electronic world of electrical impulses in microchips. It takes quite a leap of imagination to go along with this, but it IS entertaining.
Dec 6, 2013 12:31 AM

Apr 2012
So this episode was kind of boring but needed, it marks the line between the shy lain and the godlike lain. Still a few point to notice this episode.

Lain's parent denying she is acting weird to mika, they are definitely acting strange themselves. Lain is learning about the wired sytem more and more, she's really interested about it.

We learn about phamtoma, the game is supposedly causing the dead of several people, which for some reason lain is involved, but I personally think that lain is trying to help these people from the wired in her house.

She's also communicating with someone through the wired, we don't know with who yet.

At the end of the episode Lain notice about Karl and Lin Sui-Xi outside her house, so she still doesn't know who are these guys, she felt threatened and use some kind of psyche power to scared them away, she's mixing the lines between the wired and the real world.

PS: this show needed more fanservice for sure... so much potential
http://i.imgur.com/mHDjcOx.jpg
TyrantRCDec 6, 2013 12:35 AM
なんとかなる
Jan 5, 2014 1:53 AM
Nov 2010
Say what. Loving Lain's new personality.
What was that weird power she got in the end?
SO MANY QUESTIONS?

Loving the opening of this anime <3.

Lain must be using a lot of power and electricity to keep her modified computer thing going. O_O
May 17, 2014 2:38 PM
Jul 2013
too much mystery and thats why I like it
May 28, 2014 3:50 AM

May 2013
I'm guessing the "power" Lain used when breaking the suited man's mask is thanks to the Psyche which is letting her go beyond the boundaries of the Wired. She is really changing a lot. This is getting so interesting!
Jun 17, 2014 6:08 PM

Jun 2014
Wow. I dropped this series twice after 1 episode. Glad I decided to give it a third chance. Now I dont want to stop watching it.
Jul 4, 2014 3:56 PM

Jan 2014
xxshiawase said:
Lain's probably only getting scarier and scarier.
Aug 18, 2014 5:50 PM

Dec 2012
Anitnelav said:
Her personality really changed, .__.
Sep 4, 2014 4:03 PM

Jun 2013
okay I want to know.. should I have a idea about what is going on already ? because.. i don't.

wtf are the wired? why does she see things ? why did her personality changed that much ? why does she suddenly know the dude at the club ? wtf is wrong with her parents ?

I like mysteries but I can't put tougether absolutely anything from what I've seen so far :|
Sep 7, 2014 7:49 PM
Aug 2014
zaharel said:
okay I want to know.. should I have a idea about what is going on already ? because.. i don't.

wtf are the wired? why does she see things ? why did her personality changed that much ? why does she suddenly know the dude at the club ? wtf is wrong with her parents ?

I like mysteries but I can't put tougether absolutely anything from what I've seen so far :|

You're not alone, sir. Completely confused, and I'm not sure how I feel about Lain's 'change' in personality... I liked her more when she was shy and observant...
Sep 19, 2014 4:45 PM

Apr 2014
So lain went from 2 computers to a 200? Welp alright then.
Oct 16, 2014 12:33 PM
Jun 2012
Oooh, now it's starting to get really interesting!
Dec 20, 2014 1:25 PM

Jun 2013
I think Lain's personalty begun to develop indicating she is getting deeper into the Wired, it was hinted in the earlier episode that, in the Wired, people's personality were changed/different, and Lain will become one with it if it continues. Still, there are many mysteries/questions that I have yet to find the answer. The buzzing sound in each episode creeps me out yet I'm enjoying a lot SEL.

Does anyone notice the game is really similar with Minecraft? Lel.
ImpalaDec 20, 2014 1:46 PM
Dec 29, 2014 8:35 AM

Feb 2014
So damn interesting. I love the development with Lain's family, her father in particular. So hard to believe this aired in 1998. I have my own theories as to what is happening, but wouldn't be surprised if SEL destroyed them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2015 5:43 PM

Jan 2011
..at least Lain is making good use of her room now. Before, it was almost empty.

And she doesn't need the regular heating anymore. Might also be one of the reasons she gets out of most clothes..

That game also doesn't look like Minecraft, but like the Windows 98 "Maze" screensaver. Itself a reference of the old maze games like Maze War.

Besides that, i have no idea whats going on.
Jan 14, 2015 6:56 PM

Aug 2013
the fuck is goin on
Yo
Jan 24, 2015 1:13 PM

Aug 2014
So now its confirmed that the wired and the real world are connected and they're connected a lot at that.
-It seems that games acquired through the wired can also sink into reality
- that game reminded me of Arena and Daggerfall from the TES series
- That little girl was probably the embodiment of the "religion" of the wired a.k.a the knights.
- Lain seems to have a hand in the knights some how because it showed her in that game chasing after that kid just like the little girl was.
- I feel like the idea of how characters act different in their wired version of themselves like Lain in Cyberia is kind of parody of how people act online in the real world with trolls and people who act differently.
- A lot of the characters remind of people from Texhnolyze. The DJ bar guy reminds me of Shinji and the yellow afro guy. Lain reminds me of Ran. Some of the moments in the Cyberia remind me of aspects of Lukass. It's all very interesting.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

292 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

372 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

123 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

139 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

119 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.