Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 4, 2008 5:16 PM

May 2007
jbp915 said:
both but i listen to trance alot so no matter where from its universal

Styles differ a LOT. You can actually tell where it is from sometimes...
Sep 4, 2008 5:51 PM

Jan 2008
How could you choose, there is just so much?
I have been listening more to psychedelic/indie/rock than usual. I skip around with music, I am never loyal to one language or genre.
Sep 5, 2008 10:30 AM

Sep 2007
I prefer languages I don't understand a word of. Be it Thai, Hindi, Hungarian, Serbocroatian, Russian, Korean or Chinese, but I like to be able to concentrate on the song rather than the lyrics.
Sep 5, 2008 10:59 AM

Jul 2008
I mostly hear the melody first, then the language and then the lyrics. I don't really care in what language it is, as long as the melody and the voice follow each other... that way it sounds great in my head.
''... you know what? As a writer, I bring life into those who will experience happiness, sadness, torment and love in stories I write. They will have the opportunity to discover what being important means... and all because I will never be able to do the same as they could. If I could, I would put myself in their place right now. But no, my magic isn't like that...''
Sep 5, 2008 2:47 PM

Jan 2008
I've heard a bunch of talented Japanese artists, but then again it all depends on what you listen to. So I'd say both
Sep 5, 2008 3:55 PM

May 2008
English. There are some pretty nice tunes in the few Japanese songs i've been exposed to but I can't understand the lyrics so it the songs don't have too much of an impact on me.
"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Sep 5, 2008 9:13 PM

Jul 2008
Japanese music seems to put me in a better mood given that most of the JPN songs I listen to have positive messages in them. Though I'm not saying English songs don't do the same thing, I just don't embrace today's pop culture too much and the only English songs I listen to are more from the 80's than modern day.
Sep 5, 2008 10:20 PM

Jun 2008
It's really hard to choose, I love bands from all over the world. To me music is a universal language no matter the 'language' it's sung or screamed in. In a way, foreign music is somewhat more enjoyable because it allows you to focus your complete attention on the music, it's mood, it's atmosphere, and above all it allows you to create your own personal meanings without the constraints of a predetermined subject matter.

That being said it would be nearly impossible for me to say one or the other. Japanese bands such as Envy, or Nervous Light Of Sunday completely blow me away, just the same as American bands like On The Might Of Princes, or Life At These Speeds. But on a side note, for whatever it's worth I detest American pop, yet for some reason am able to tolerate and in a few select cases mildly enjoy Japanese pop. Perhaps it has much to do with my earlier point regarding how poor to mediocre subject matter can ruin even the greatest musical masterpiece, so perhaps in some cases not knowing the lyrics could be your best bet.

A bit off topic, but seeing we are discussing international music here what could it hurt; I've always had a soft spot for French screamo/hardcore. Bands like Anomie, Daitro, Belle Epoque, Amanda Woodward, Aussitot Mort... MY GOD!! so damn good!
FarewellToWordsSep 5, 2008 10:39 PM
Sep 5, 2008 10:29 PM

Jun 2008
Ametatsu said:
I prefer languages I don't understand a word of. Be it Thai, Hindi, Hungarian, Serbocroatian, Russian, Korean or Chinese, but I like to be able to concentrate on the song rather than the lyrics.

You should listen to Post Rock. It's one of the most beautiful genres of music out there. The majority of it is completely instrumental, and often builds from quiet and humble beginnings to epic and intense explosions of sound. It's surreal at times, and by most standards that is a vast understatement.

Download or buy the record "Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada" by the band Godspeed You Black Emperor! It's seriously some of the most beautiful music in all of recent recorded history. Despite the album only having two songs, it spans 28 minutes, and 36 seconds.
Sep 5, 2008 10:45 PM

May 2008
mastershake9001 said:
Both, if you favor one and hate the other you're a moron.

How is that?
Sep 5, 2008 10:59 PM

Jun 2008
mastershake9001 said:
Both, if you favor one and hate the other you're a moron.

Music is a form of art (in some cases it's a bastardization of art but no matter). The point being, different people are attracted to different aspects, moods and sounds, while some people are drawn to extremely vain, almost meaningless 'happy for the sake of being happy' pop songs, others are drawn to bands which utilize raw, and abrasive music ship to convey a much deeper musical message. To like either or, or perhaps something in between is neither right nor wrong, same goes for the language barrier. Some people are able to cross it with easy, and others are not, not liking music of a different culture/language due to personal taste doesn't exactly possess enough weight or meaning to deem someone else a 'moron.' Now, if a persons reasons for not liking music of a different culture or language are based on bigotry or something of that nature then by all means, a moron they are, however that isn't the case here.
Sep 5, 2008 11:05 PM

Jul 2008
No competition

the only jap music i listen to is that in anime
Sep 7, 2008 6:41 PM

Apr 2008
Sep 7, 2008 6:41 PM

Apr 2008
I like both. I care more about melody than lyrics in a song, and Japanese music, for the most part, delivers. Their songs have some of the catchiest melodies ever! And with English music (excluding the crap that's being written now), I can try to piece together images in my head as the melody and lyrics (that I can understand) flow along.
Sep 7, 2008 6:42 PM

Apr 2007
FarewellToWords said:
Ametatsu said:

You should listen to Post Rock. It's one of the most beautiful genres of music out there. The majority of it is completely instrumental, and often builds from quiet and humble beginnings to epic and intense explosions of sound. It's surreal at times, and by most standards that is a vast understatement.

Download or buy the record "Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada" by the band Godspeed You Black Emperor! It's seriously some of the most beautiful music in all of recent recorded history. Despite the album only having two songs, it spans 28 minutes, and 36 seconds.

post-rock? more like post-boring
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2008 7:00 PM

Aug 2007
Neverender said:

i no rite emperer
Sep 7, 2008 7:01 PM

Apr 2007
Seriously, listen to real music like Fall Out Boy and Chiodos.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2008 7:02 PM
Aug 2007
Neverender said:
Seriously, listen to real music like Hilary Duff.
Sep 7, 2008 7:03 PM

Apr 2007
Why do you always have to make a new page...

Now he'll never see it. All of my trolling... for what?
Sep 7, 2008 7:04 PM
Aug 2007
Neverender said:

Because I have more power than you. GET OVER IT.
Sep 7, 2008 7:06 PM

Apr 2007
wtfyourface said:
blah blah blah
Sep 7, 2008 7:15 PM

Dec 2007
Neverender said:

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. I find it a bit hit and miss myself. The good stuff is some of the best music I've heard, but the genre is populated with myriad clones and bands that stick too closely to the quiet-loud template. This isn't unique to post-rock, of course, but I find it frustrating given the potential.

edit: Ah, I see you like Boris. I would consider some of their music post-rock, especially Flood. They mix things up a lot, though. One of the more interesting bands around, methinks.
SchnickelFritzSep 7, 2008 7:21 PM
Sep 7, 2008 7:31 PM

Apr 2007
Nah, dude, I'm just joking. I actually love post-rock. I agree with you, though; there are so many incredibly boring bands in the genre.

Also, where did your trademark avatar go?
Sep 7, 2008 7:48 PM

Dec 2007
Ah, right then!

Was just in the mood for a change, and figured MAL needed more Klaus.

Oh, and I found someone else using the same Grimmer av a while back. They hardly ever post, but still..
Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

Apr 2007
wizwinkleman said:

Oh, and I found someone else using the same Grimmer av a while back. They hardly ever post, but still..

Unacceptable.
Sep 7, 2008 8:02 PM

Dec 2007
Purely coincidental, I'm sure.

Grimmer fits my personality more, so I may go back to him eventually. For the moment, it is the Major's turn to shine.
Sep 8, 2008 5:02 AM

Aug 2008
Good music. And there's some of that in both the English and Japanese music industry.
Sep 8, 2008 12:47 PM

Jun 2008
I am actually starting to have a taste in more J-pop, J-rock. Right now, the only english music I listen to is BlesstheFall, AILD, and some others.
Sep 8, 2008 12:48 PM

Jan 2008
i personally like Japanese music better... for some reason
Sep 8, 2008 12:53 PM

Oct 2007
KeiseiHana said:
i personally like Japanese music better... for some reason

Well i like those more because it's easier to accept songs i don't understand.
Sep 8, 2008 12:55 PM

Feb 2008
StephanBlackhawk said:
Splitter said:
All time, English. Mark my words, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and all other classic rock brethren will be the equivalent of Beethoven and Mozart in 200-300 years.

I Love You.
Sep 8, 2008 1:21 PM
Aug 2008
Neverender said:

i read everythin. thanks for what u said. my brother always say that any music besides english sucks
Sep 9, 2008 6:29 AM

Dec 2007
Bearsss said:
Neverender said:

i read everythin. thanks for what u said. my brother always say that any music besides english sucks

This made me wonder....

When you (all of you) say "English music" you say music that is produced and released in English speaking countries (the States and UK and Australia and etc.) OR music sung in English?

Just because there are many Japanese songs in English --> WITHOUT the weird accent x)
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 9, 2008 6:40 AM
Sep 2007
i tend to listen to japanese music more often.

for some reason, the english music these days is a total turn-off to me. i haven't heard a single song that i could listen to for hours at a time. the only songs i like right now are oldies from the 50s and 60s. :/ there are some hard rock songs that i like from the 90s but meh. i wouldn't keep them on 'repeat', most likely 'shuffle' because the lyrics tend to feel tedious after a while. :S
Sep 9, 2008 8:54 AM

Feb 2008
Both.
I love them equally.
Sep 9, 2008 10:20 AM

Apr 2008
Since I've been active in anime this year, I started to love jap music more. My IPOD has 32 jap songs (mostly from anime) that I listen to while in a 1-hour trip. I'm also mastering God Knows by Aya Hirano in guitar now.

But, I still love english and our local music (or the so-called OPM in Philippines) I just feel listening to jap music more.

Sep 14, 2008 2:19 AM
Sep 2008
I listen to anything. I don't do language specific. It just seems weird to me.
Sep 14, 2008 4:04 AM

Apr 2008
i like the rythm (sp?) to japanese music better, especially when they're visual key bands like L'arc-en-ciel.
as for english music, i prefer the classic rock and alternative genres more (yay for The Police).

by the way, if anyone here watches the EuroSong Festival, you'll see what the true butchering of music is.
Sep 14, 2008 4:45 AM

Dec 2007
Sohei said:
i like the rythm (sp?) to japanese music better, especially when they're visual key bands like L'arc-en-ciel.
as for english music, i prefer the classic rock and alternative genres more (yay for The Police).

by the way, if anyone here watches the EuroSong Festival, you'll see what the true butchering of music is.

#1 L'Arc~en~Ciel is a sub genre of j-pop and not Visual Kei (unfortunately I can't love them too much because 2 thirds of their albums are bossa nova rythmed with maracas T^T)
#2 Eurovision is not a characterizer for music. xD I watch it EVERY YEAR, I love it and it's really hilarious. Still, Portugal is one of the 3 countries that still makes the terrible mistake of sending good songs to that thing, therefore we never got more than an 8th place.
Sep 14, 2008 8:22 AM

Aug 2008
I love all forms of music. But I'm a big fan of English music (Beck, mostly), but I love listening to Japanese OST's. Many of them.
Sep 14, 2008 8:32 AM

May 2008
I like JP music coz it`s original...

But I mostly listen eng...
Sep 14, 2008 8:53 AM

Feb 2005
Why choose? I like a bit of both, but most of my favourite bands are English. there aren't too many Japanese Prog Metal and Folk Metal bands as far as I've seen.
I did find an all female Japanese doom metal band though. Fancy that.
Sep 14, 2008 9:15 AM

Apr 2008
Given my tastes, most of the stuff I listen to is in English, if it has any lyrics at all (I also have an unusually large amount of Icelandic music). The only Japanese band I have any CDs by is Mono. Really though, I don't care where my music is from, as long as it's good.
Sep 14, 2008 9:39 AM

Apr 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Sohei said:

#1 L'Arc~en~Ciel is a sub genre of j-pop and not Visual Kei (unfortunately I can't love them too much because 2 thirds of their albums are bossa nova rythmed with maracas T^T)
#2 Eurovision is not a characterizer for music. xD I watch it EVERY YEAR, I love it and it's really hilarious. Still, Portugal is one of the 3 countries that still makes the terrible mistake of sending good songs to that thing, therefore we never got more than an 8th place.

like teh omg u corrected meh mistakes!!!11
yea i needed to get that off my chest :)

Visual Kei is a movement in the jpop genre (then again, not all bands are that popular), so i don't see a problem with saying i like visual key bands(yes i know i spelled it wrong the first time ^_^).

As for Eurosong (offtopic ; )), has no one ever realized that it's all pretty much a political vote? Why do you think east european countries always win and countries like France, GB and Germany always come last? it's not about music anymore, but more about geopolitical votes.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me XD

Sep 14, 2008 1:57 PM

Jul 2008
I like japanese music more. Compared to English songs it just has that feeling that I'm looking for but still that doesn't mean that all english songs are bad :).
Sep 14, 2008 2:09 PM

May 2008
Plun said:
For some reason, I like Japanese music more than English. No clue why but that's just me.

I agree

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Sep 14, 2008 2:19 PM

May 2008
Both. I like a little of everything. German too. Can't forget Rammstein and E Nomine. :D
Sep 14, 2008 2:43 PM

Aug 2008
Cookie-chan said:
Plun said:
For some reason, I like Japanese music more than English. No clue why but that's just me.

I agree

Sep 14, 2008 2:54 PM

Dec 2007
Sohei said:
ladyxzeus said:
Sohei said:

like teh omg u corrected meh mistakes!!!11
yea i needed to get that off my chest :)

Visual Kei is a movement in the jpop genre (then again, not all bands are that popular), so i don't see a problem with saying i like visual key bands(yes i know i spelled it wrong the first time ^_^).

As for Eurosong (offtopic ; )), has no one ever realized that it's all pretty much a political vote? Why do you think east european countries always win and countries like France, GB and Germany always come last? it's not about music anymore, but more about geopolitical votes.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me XD

Haha we could enter a pretty nifty discussion on the Visual movement but let's not. xD Or else I'll have to enter my prophetic mode and people get scared with it *__* I love it as well and a certain someone holds the shares of 90% of my MP3 =p

[off topic]

Eurovision is just... Eurovision. I don't think nobody knows its objective anymore. I'm not sure if it's a political movement of any sort, but what I'm sure is that the organizer countries always get in with horrid music. xD I tend to beleive that colder countries win more (Sweden ftw. Abba ftw!) because they stay at home while the program runs and actually watch it. xD Btw the winner 2 years ago, or last year, wasn't France? With a metal band that had skater zombies on the videoclip. xD
Sep 14, 2008 3:55 PM

Oct 2007
Baman said:
I did find an all female Japanese doom metal band though. Fancy that.

Not that I'm a fan of the genre, but a female leading vocals in such a thing intrigues me greatly and I would like to learn more.
You can find me on IRC.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.