Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Sep 2, 2012 3:42 PM
Aug 2012
In short, you can hold two swords, but you can't activate sword arts, or sword skills, which are programmed to be doing the brunt of the damage, normal melee attacks with a weapon won't do any damage, that's just how it is.

Kirito has the ability to active sword arts, with two swords.

/thread
Sep 2, 2012 3:44 PM
Oct 2010
makoa69 said:
But SAO is different from regular MMOs in that you don't have to give commands to your avatar telling it what to do. Instead, you ARE the avatar, and as such you should be fully free to move however you like. Having to select starburst stream from my toggle menu means I'm not fully in control of myself, and I need permissions from the game to do certain things.
They do not select commands to use. Remember the first episode? Under Kirito's tutelage, Klein learned how to activate a sword skill instead of just swinging it around. But there was no command selection to activate it, I'm not sure if has to do with body positioning or a mind trick, but it wasn't simply using the sword as it would be in real life.

That virtual world has it's own laws. Probably anyone could take a knife and tap on an ingredient, but it doesn't mean it's going to get cut just like that unless they have the cooking skill. Hell, if someone without the skill tried cutting some food it would probably end up ruined, no matter how good a cook that person was in the "real" world.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 2, 2012 3:51 PM

Jul 2011
makoa69 said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
makoa69 said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
makoa69 said:
I don't really understand how 'skills' work here. They're breathing, eating, sleeping, walking around, etc in that world right? Why would you need a toggle choice in your menu to be physically capable of putting a second sword in your other hand? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

thats not the point, you can put a second sword on your hand but you won't be able to activate dual wielded sword skills, if your current attack pattern is set to 1 handed sword skills, it will imbalance the system and your sword skills will be disrupted, you would need to have dual blades as one of your options to use it

Are you implying that all the moves they do, like jump dodging, blocking with the sword, etc are all skills they acquired in their toggle menu? I just assumed that when Kirito fights he's just swinging a sword around based on his own sword fighting abilities learned while existing in the the virtual world. If a person who already was a master swordsman in real life entered the game, he/she would be overpowered. If your fighting abilities are restricted to only what you've attained in your toggle menu, that saps away a ton of the freedom one could have in the SAO world. Isn't the 'realness', and 'freedom' the only reasons to play a VR MMO?
The same thing goes for equipping stuff. Say your friend has passed out and you're protecting him when your sword gets broken. If I had full freedom and realness granted to me, I should either be able to fight barehanded with my own knowledge of boxing/karate/muay thai, whatever, or I could dash toward my friend and grab his weapon and fight with that. If skills and equipping are restricted in SAO, then I can do neither of those choices.

sorry for the late reply, i was a little busy

you misunderstand my point, what i meant was that you can't activate dual bladed skills such as starburst stream without dual blades as one of your slots

you can pick up a second sword and attack but you won't be able to activate sword skills which is a bad idea because sword skills are the best means of offence and damage

But what is starburst stream? I assumed it was just a name Kirito coined himself, the move being just slashing a bunch of times really fast. If starburst stream is a 'skill' Kirito can select from his toggle menu, then who's to say 'slash right', 'forward jab', 'sidestep', etc aren't also moves from the toggle menu?
My confusion is simply this: I don't get why somebody can't do starburst stream (holding a sword in both hands and slashing really fast) whenever he/she desired. It's not like learning a magic spell, where you have to be awarded the ability to throw fireballs, starburst stream is merely a body motion. Why do you need permission to move your body a certain way?

starburst stream, is 16 hit sword skill which is exclusive to dual blades

remember the first ep introduction with kirito teaching klein the 1 hit sword skill "linear", you have to set yourself in motion to activate it and if you level up appropriately, you will have more skills to choose from like horizontal square etc. however they need a certain level/stat requirement to activate it

dual blades skill is the requirement for you to be able to activate sword skills on both hands

other sword skills are things like asuna's linear drive and verticle square
Sep 2, 2012 4:16 PM

Sep 2011
Actually the first episode I liked. Nice moment where Asuna couldn't stop hugging Kirito. However I'm still very confused about the progression. They took 2 months to clear floor #1 and after 2 years they are are at... yeah, which floor? 70? Well, I'm gonna watch for a bit longer, however the music remains the best aspect of the show, just as expected of Kajiura Yuki.
Sep 2, 2012 4:46 PM
Aug 2012
Sury said:
Actually the first episode I liked. Nice moment where Asuna couldn't stop hugging Kirito. However I'm still very confused about the progression. They took 2 months to clear floor #1 and after 2 years they are are at... yeah, which floor? 70? Well, I'm gonna watch for a bit longer, however the music remains the best aspect of the show, just as expected of Kajiura Yuki.

people were scared to get their act in gear, that's why they didn't clear immediately, and people wanted the largest safety margin possible before taking the boss.
Sep 2, 2012 5:06 PM
Mar 2010
makoa69 said:
My confusion is simply this: I don't get why somebody can't do starburst stream (holding a sword in both hands and slashing really fast) whenever he/she desired. It's not like learning a magic spell, where you have to be awarded the ability to throw fireballs, starburst stream is merely a body motion. Why do you need permission to move your body a certain way?

The game has two modes of attack. Normal swing your sword around attacks, and special sword skills that are activated by performing the start of the skill, then the system assistance takes over most of your movement for the rest of the execution. They're faster, and do more DPS than ordinary strikes. Just like magic, or special abilities, you have to level up your proficiency in your chosen weapon type to learn them.

Starburst Stream is one such skill. You can equip two swords, but without the dual blades skills, the skill won't active when you make the start motions. You can try and duplicate the motions of the full skill yourself, but it will be slower, and do less damage than the real skill, and enemies will be able to interrupt you.
Sep 2, 2012 5:36 PM

Jul 2011
Better nerf Kirito :D
In my opinion best episode so far. Awsome fight between Kirito and boss, maybe a bit short but very intensive. That music makes everything even more epic, I haven't heard such good soundtrack for a long time. Hah, and I was just wondering what happened with his new sword :D Really badass skill, but why he's the only one player witch such ability?
And of course that hug... awww, so heartwarming ^^ Love KiritoxAsuna relationship, I hope it will become much closer in the future.
Can't wait to see the duel.
Sep 2, 2012 6:01 PM
Aug 2012
Best episode yet. Next week is definitely going to be interesting and I'm extremely curious on how this fight is going to play out especially since the leader had the guts to challenge kirito and let him use duel swords. Either he's as strong as kirito, he has something up his sleeve, or he's completely retarded.
Sep 2, 2012 6:05 PM

Mar 2012
I was pretty stoked when he took out that Blue Eyes White Dragon. Zangief wins!

Edit: The script has always been terrible, but it may have reached an all time low. Come on. "Let's duel." Shuuuut the fffffffffffffuhhh.
JoshSep 2, 2012 6:31 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 2, 2012 6:24 PM

Sep 2011
So,is the reason why only Kirito has Nitoryu being revealed anyime?
Sep 2, 2012 6:33 PM
Mar 2010
Matthz8 said:
So,is the reason why only Kirito has Nitoryu being revealed anyime?

It eventually gets revealed.
Sep 2, 2012 6:38 PM
Dec 2011
Good episode
Sep 2, 2012 6:41 PM

Jan 2012
Nice fight! Kirito almost died... And i guess they are now a couple...
Sep 2, 2012 6:52 PM

Mar 2012
There should be a Sword Art Online drinking game. Drink every time you see a cliche -> Wake up the next day on the floor.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 2, 2012 7:09 PM

Jul 2009
more screen time for klein!
Sep 2, 2012 7:09 PM

Jan 2008
GrayArchon said:
You can equip two swords, but without the dual blades skills, the skill won't active when you make the start motions

I must have skipped this in the novel or something but I honestly don't remember anywhere that it says any player can just go an equip two swords at once in SAO.

Note... that I said
Sep 2, 2012 7:30 PM

Nov 2009
ZeroKamikaze said:

Nah dw, I won't be bothered touching u guys anymore, I thought the flame was happened between some interesting guys, but for a reason you and your-friend(not calling out his name, cause I like that character in SAO and he took it as his name on MAL, *sigh) always turned up, I'm bored ^_^.

just to clear the confusion, people can still holding 2 swords at the same time, but they won't be able to "dual wield", as I recall from the novel, person without a proper skill can try to imitate a skill, but without "system assist" of a proper skill, it is just a bunch of useless moves.
Sep 2, 2012 7:30 PM
Aug 2009
Holy hell, the best episode ever
paul, where do you read the novel, do you know any fansub translating it?
Sep 2, 2012 7:34 PM

Jan 2008
^Pretty much there.

And still can't remember anything about anyone being able to hold 2 weapons. I can remember the imitating part but from what I've read and this episode, Dual Wield is a skill itself.
Sep 2, 2012 7:45 PM

Oct 2011
Well,I'm not going to waste my time reading through 24 pages of text that's most likely spoiler filled.Not for SAO.

My thoughts on the episode:
Good episode,3rd best so far.Action was great,music was amazing & we got to see my 2 most liked characters of this series (so far) in one episode:Klein & Liz :D (Funny thing is,I just finished re watching an episode of Uchuu Kyoudai before watching this one & it's funny doing a voice comparison of Hiroaki's characters in each respective series).

I'm not much of a fan of the Kirito x Asuna pairing.Kirito is an alright character with some good moments (like the fight this episode) & Asuna..........sort of don't like her & sort of don't care for her.But whatever,I'll live with this pairing.

4.5/5
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Sep 2, 2012 7:58 PM

Nov 2011
Compared to the most recent episodes this was a godsend and has me hyped for the next.
Sep 2, 2012 9:02 PM

Feb 2012
I don't like Asuna. Don't know why, but i just don't like her. Whenever she shows up i get an eye twitch.

Aside from that, i liked this episode. Ryoutarou was the one character in this series i really liked, so seeing him appear again was a blast. The fight was good and Kirito's obvious strain from using Dual Blades was a nice touch to his otherwise cool and always in control character.
Sep 2, 2012 9:13 PM
Jan 2012
Vyudali said:
I don't like Asuna. Don't know why, but i just don't like her. Whenever she shows up i get an eye twitch.

Aside from that, i liked this episode. Ryoutarou was the one character in this series i really liked, so seeing him appear again was a blast. The fight was good and Kirito's obvious strain from using Dual Blades was a nice touch to his otherwise cool and always in control character.

You better drop the anime then; She's the main character and love interest for the next 14 episodes, although you probably won't see her after this arc too much, except for the end...
Sep 2, 2012 9:45 PM

Feb 2010
I love when Klein is in an episode... not only because he's a great character, but I get to hear "Mutta's" voice too! xD

I enjoyed this.

next week will be awesome...
Sep 2, 2012 9:54 PM
Jan 2012
best ep so far, but like someone earlier posted...the battle scenes here are just...weak....the epic fight showcasing his dual wield skill lasted all of what, 50 seconds?
Sep 2, 2012 9:55 PM

Feb 2011
I like this anime too much. I don't want to wait another week for another episode ;(

I enjoyed the episode mostly because, I didn't miss anything. Between the episodes there was no major time that had passed.
Sep 2, 2012 9:57 PM

Sep 2012
Master7432 said:
Vyudali said:

You better drop the anime then; She's the main character and love interest for the next 14 episodes, although you probably won't see her after this arc too much, except for the end...

Haha true that... you're not gonna have a fun time... unless you manage to somehow developing some like-age.
Sep 2, 2012 9:59 PM

Aug 2010
Best episode since the first one.
Sep 2, 2012 10:30 PM

Jan 2011
ftghb said:
best ep so far, but like someone earlier posted...the battle scenes here are just...weak....the epic fight showcasing his dual wield skill lasted all of what, 50 seconds?

Sep 2, 2012 10:46 PM

Aug 2009
ftghb said:
the battle scenes here are just...weak....the epic fight showcasing his dual wield skill lasted all of what, 50 seconds?

couldn't better agree with you.....it felt like this boss just stood there and took the hits...the boss on floor 1 was more pro-active and felt like a real boss
Sep 2, 2012 10:51 PM
Mar 2010
Paul said:
I must have skipped this in the novel or something but I honestly don't remember anywhere that it says any player can just go an equip two swords at once in SAO.

I'm going by this from the Warmth of the Heart short story:

"I couldn't comprehend his intentions. After having manipulated the equipment figure earlier, with the current system, his equipped status should be only the sword in his left hand; holding onto another weapon with his right hand should not be of any use whatsoever. On the contrary, with something that's considered an irregular equipped status like that, it would not be possible to activate sword skills."

It's a bit vague, but I'm assuming that since Liz doesn't think it's impossible to equip two weapons, but rather that it would just be considered an erroneous configuration, that you can equip two weapons, you'll just be unable to use sword skills.
Sep 2, 2012 10:56 PM

May 2011
Andyis said:
Wow. What an annoying guild leader

People should be able to join and leave guilds at will.

Also, the leader better be strong. Leaders should be a ton stronger than his subbordinates but he seems like a weak douche who needs protection

If you ever played an MMO like WoW, you don't just leave a guild, from one conflict with em, especially if you were there from the start, and you're in the top guild, they mow through content, so you probably going to stick around. And the leader of the guild isn't necessarily the most powerful, he is like a president, power is usually split among officers(ranged dps officers, tank officer, melee officers, healer officers etc.). But now, take thousands of people's lives at stake, this is a real world to them. Now if there is problems with the top guild's officer core, it can mess up progression, and the people relying on them, now are stuck, since the top guilds tend to have the best geared players.
RockerXDSep 2, 2012 11:14 PM
Sep 2, 2012 11:00 PM

Jul 2011
tbh, that fight was long enough, any longer and i would be wondering why the hell klein and asuna haven't stepped i to help him.....<_<

also i was just one huge all out attack with him bearing the brunt of the bosses attacks and vice versa, kirito won by a small margin in the end though but it was only due to the army/asuna/klein shaving the bosses hp down and covering for him
Sep 2, 2012 11:40 PM

Jan 2011
Now this episode is by far the best so far. It was great to see Klein again. Hilarious to see him freezing up and Kirito thought he was lagging. xD Klein acting all diligent towards Asuna and then Kirito punches him in the stomach lmao. Everyone's all jelly of Kirito. Asuna is an awesome girl though. :P

Kovats was a complete selfish moron. Thinking they could defeat it and saying they won't retreat. Yeah they've got pride but seriously, you'd rather die than survive in an online virtual world? Teleportation Crystals don't work in the boss room either eh? Reminded Kirito of the time when Sachi and co. died in that secret room.

Seeing Asuna unable to 'take it anymore' was simply awesome. She just had to do something about it but of course she didn't stand a chance. Kirito intervened and even his was struggling. The fight scenes were so damn good, music went well with it; gave such an epic godly vibe. :D 14:00 onwards is so damn epic omfg. Kirito with his Dual Wield skill and using Starburst Stream was so crazy. He defeated that Blue-Eyed Demon all by himself. And he barely survives with a little bit of HP left, geez.

This episode foreshadowed a lot of Sachi moments, clearly showing that Kirito hasn't forgotten about her. Asuna was crying out to Kirito and first he imagined that it was Sachi. Damn, now I miss seeing Sachi even more. Haha Klein's jealous of Kirito being the only one with the dual wield skill. Who wouldn't be? Such an awesome and useful skill. Great to see Klein getting teary, he's such a great buddy. Asuna caring for Kirito so much was perfect. That tsundere obviously loves Kirito. It was also great to see a bit of Lisbeth again. :D

Commander Heathcliff proposing a duel with Kirito using his dual wield skill: if he wins Asuna can leave the guild with Kirito and if he loses, he has to join the Knights of Blood guild. Damn I'm excited for the next episode. Kirito's gonna kick some ass.
Sep 2, 2012 11:42 PM

Aug 2008
Well, that was rushed. But they kept all the cool parts in, so meh.
The only thing, is I have no idea just how far they're getting into the novels. It seems to me like they will obviously at least cover the ALFheim arc. Well, frankly honest, I liked that arc better than the first volume anyway.
Sep 3, 2012 1:25 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Hmm, the fighting was nice enough, though this boss fight was mainly what I expected.

A nice touch there with the dual wield skill.

As for next episode, I don't really know if Kirito is going to beat Heathcliff like he beat Kuradeel or if there's actually going to be some competition.

Haven't really seen any strong characters besides Kirito who is like levels apart from the others.

That said, this was still a good episode.
Sep 3, 2012 1:43 AM
Mar 2012
I was waiting to see Kirito licking soy sauce off Asuna's fingers, but they made this scene a bit different in the anime, that's a waste but well good ep nevertheless and dual blades are here! :D
Sep 3, 2012 2:24 AM

Oct 2009
The Asuna was ok. But everything else was done so poorly I was on the verge of tears.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2012 2:26 AM

Sep 2008
lol at Lizbeth appearing there. Unexpected anime-original content that I'm pretty happy to see.

This episode was done ok. Could've been better. The main things that bothered me was when Klein got to the boss room, his other party members were nowhere to be seen. Also, Asuna's personality seems a bit flat to me. At least compared to the novels. Though even in the novels her personality lacked depth IMO. Oh, and the animation wasn't all that great during the fights.

Overall still pretty rushed.
5layerSep 3, 2012 2:29 AM
Sep 3, 2012 2:53 AM

Aug 2010
The leader of a big guild is a raging idiot. Kirito got his special snowflake exclusive power. With the negative things out of the way, this episode was actually not bad. I liked the flashbacks of Sachi, the music was awesome, and Asuna clinging onto Kirito for so long was cute. 4/5.
Sep 3, 2012 3:15 AM

Sep 2012
This episode was good... but it felt like it was too quick, everything happened too fast, and it felt like a 5-10 min episode .-.

I guess time DOES fly by when you're having fun huh? =P
Sep 3, 2012 3:36 AM
Jul 2012
TensaiShonen said:
ftghb said:
the battle scenes here are just...weak....the epic fight showcasing his dual wield skill lasted all of what, 50 seconds?

couldn't better agree with you.....it felt like this boss just stood there and took the hits...the boss on floor 1 was more pro-active and felt like a real boss

Guess Kirito overlevelled. Talk about grinding in 2 years!
Sep 3, 2012 3:50 AM

Aug 2012
WARNING: Episode 9 Discussion Thread's Self-Destruct Sequence has been initiated; Reactor Core [kamikaze_1996]'s subsequent meltdown is unavoidable. Evacuate to adjacent threads powered by moderately stable Reactor Core [ZeroKamikaze].

EVACUATE...

EVACUATE...

EVAC.........
Sep 3, 2012 4:09 AM

Apr 2009
Awesome Episode! Can't wait till next weeks :D I've been putting off reading the novels because I think I'd enjoy seeing them animated first, but right after the anime ends I'm going to read the novels, it'll be interesting how much they actually miss out in the anime.
Sep 3, 2012 4:09 AM

Apr 2012
Jerrychiang said:
WARNING: Episode 9 Discussion Thread's Self-Destruct Sequence has been initiated; Reactor Core [kamikaze_1996]'s subsequent meltdown is unavoidable. Evacuate to adjacent threads powered by moderately stable Reactor Core [ZeroKamikaze].

EVACUATE...

EVACUATE...

EVAC.........

Ahahahahaha, you never fail to amaze me.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Sep 3, 2012 5:14 AM
Jun 2012
Best episode so far
Sep 3, 2012 5:40 AM

Oct 2009
I kind like how the dual sword combo made the boss stall like fodder. The fight was way too short though.
Sep 3, 2012 5:56 AM
Aug 2012
*just realized what three major events are happening next episode

HYPE IT UP GUYS, WOWIE ZOWIE.

But srs... Anime only viewers are in for a treat, lots going on next episode.
Sep 3, 2012 5:58 AM
Feb 2012
I think i'll drop it here.

Not the best cover though.
Pages (16) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» SAO watch order

18s - 2 hours ago

9 by DragyG »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » is it just me, or do you guys also like asuna a lot? ( 1 2 )

college_boy - Yesterday

57 by Tooni11 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2012

492 by ItsXolo »»
Sep 15, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Aug 25, 2012

535 by AliQasim22 »»
Sep 13, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

951 by Rexnihilo »»
Sep 7, 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.