Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any anime series where you prefer the Dub over Sub?

New
Pages (17) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 30, 2011 10:05 AM

Jun 2009
taro_sado said:
No, I cannot even phantom why someone would watch a dub.

1. it's FATHOM, not phantom.

2 has it even occurred to you that maybe some people don't wanna watch anime subtitled and would rather watch it in a language they can understand?
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Oct 30, 2011 10:13 AM

Sep 2010
I like how whenever there is a good dub...

Good dubs, where? This thread is about anime that people prefer to listen to dubbed and if you read all the posts here it would be clear that being "good" isn't a requirement.

"Oh well, the english voices just fit the setting in this anime!

That's not an excuse. Actually this sort of statement gets used to support the claim that a dub is good.

"I grew up with these voices!"

This can be a reason why that person likes a particular dub. It however does not imply that a dub is good or bad. This would be you adding meaning where there is none.

"This was one of my first dubs"

Again, this is an explanation and a factual statement if the dub was one of their first.

Oct 30, 2011 10:28 AM

Sep 2011
spice and wolf
baccano
durarara(YES I SAID IT)
fmp
full metal alchemist

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 30, 2011 12:15 PM

May 2010
I prefer these over the japanese dubs. Doesn't mean the japanese dubs are bad just that I would prefer to watch it in english.

Code Geass
Great Teacher Onizuka
Cowboy Bebop
Oct 30, 2011 12:25 PM

Jul 2011
Dragonball Z :P

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Oct 30, 2011 12:30 PM

Dec 2010
Those who say none = lying to themselves.
Oct 30, 2011 1:15 PM
Apr 2011
I see about every show that has been dubbed for the fact that dubs are better for the viewer like me who watches anime for the you know...ANIMATION! >:( To be fair I will watch a sub for the reasons that a dub is just overall bad like Higurashi or Elfen Lied, made by Satoshi Kon (It fits the animation), and/or has not been dubbed at all. Shows that I can't watch in Japanese are basically anything that involves Non-Japanese characters i.e. FMA, Monster, Baccano! (Best Dub Ever), Cowboy Bebop (Of Course), and HETALIA!
Oct 30, 2011 2:16 PM

Jan 2010
I like DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo in English dub. A lot of other anime that are English dub is acceptable. I do watch subbed anime also.
Oct 30, 2011 5:08 PM

Dec 2010
I don't care for dubs, but what I do like are certain voice actors. My vote goes for Doug Erholtz for favorite American voice actor.

I vastly prefer subs tbh. However people shouldn't dismiss dubs, since a lot of anima fans get into anime because of them. I appreciate the work dubs do but I've become so accustomed I'm hesitant to watch anything else.
Oct 30, 2011 5:15 PM

Oct 2010
Pretty much every anime i've seen, with one or two exceptions.
Oct 30, 2011 6:08 PM
Mar 2010
Goldenboy
Oct 30, 2011 6:19 PM

Aug 2010
Eden of The East
FMA Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Baccano!
Oct 30, 2011 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
Off the top of my head:

GitS: SAC (not the original movie, though)
FMA/Brotherhood
Eden of the East
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Beck
Cowboy Bebop
Summer Wars
Fruits Basket (Except for Ayame, Momiji, and Yuki's voices. Overall I liked it better, though.)
Persona 4 (judging the game's dub vs the anime's voice acting, with a few exceptions)
Last Exile
Sgt. Frog (so far)
Part 2 of TTGL (English Kamina brought the first part down for me.)

I can think of some other dubs I like too, but those are the only ones for me that are better in English instead of being on par with the sub or slightly worse but still good.
Oct 30, 2011 7:01 PM

Apr 2011
I'd have to add Hetailia to the list of shows i prefer dubbed ... I actually wound up putting the second series on hold because the Japanese voices just weren't quite as funny. They may have been hideous stereotypes but they were funny ones, dammit. ^_^
Oct 30, 2011 8:48 PM

Feb 2010
Chobits
Trigun
Summer Wars
Cowboy Bebop
DBZ
Eden of the East

Thats about it. Alot of people said Beck, but even though the English grammar is better, I still can't stand it cause some of the characters don't fit and the songs sound bad with the English vocalist to me. Sorry.
Oct 30, 2011 9:14 PM

Apr 2011
pokemon and only pokemon
Oct 31, 2011 12:22 AM

Aug 2011
YourLoveSerenade said:
pokemon and only pokemon

This.
Oct 31, 2011 12:39 AM

Jul 2011
I am one of those people who can enjoy a dub or sub equally. I appreciate both. Sometimes I like a particular dub/sub over it's counterpart, but I'm not going to totally abandon one side of the media entirely. It's like eating a sandwich.. I'm going to eat it even if it doesn't have my favorite cheese this time.. it's still food and I'm still hungry. Who knows, I might end up enjoying that sandwich all the same. :)

With that out of the way I'd like to answer the actual thread question with 'yes'.

Cowboy Bebop
☆ (( クレイジー・サンシャイン )) ☆
Oct 31, 2011 2:11 PM

Feb 2011
Hetalia and School Rumble
Oct 31, 2011 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
Anime_Name said:
Good dubs, where? This thread is about anime that people prefer to listen to dubbed and if you read all the posts here it would be clear that being "good" isn't a requirement.

Okay fair enough. I should have said "Whenever there is a dub they enjoy".

"Oh well, the english voices just fit the setting in this anime!
That's not an excuse. Actually this sort of statement gets used to support the claim that a dub is good.

What is says is "I like the dub because the actors are the right nationality for the setting; not because of any talent they may have."

"I grew up with these voices!"
This can be a reason why that person likes a particular dub. It however does not imply that a dub is good or bad. This would be you adding meaning where there is none.

There was a post earlier that said "I like DBZ's dub only because I grew up with that dub" or something to that extent. Those were the type I was referring to.

"This was one of my first dubs"
Again, this is an explanation and a factual statement if the dub was one of their first.

Again "I only like this dub because it was one of my first".

If you like a dub performance, say you like the performance instead of using circumstantial "I only enjoyed it because..." excuses.. I'm not referring to you personally, but some posters. It's amazing how biased the anime community is against dubs. Even when they enjoy one they will nevertheless go out of there way to avoid genuinely complimenting it.
Oct 31, 2011 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
Dragon ball z gotta have that dubbed. Also like Kenichi the world strongest disciple cause the original voice makes him sound like a wuss more then he already is. yeah and Pokemon and Cowboy Bebop
Oct 31, 2011 2:44 PM

Sep 2011
Well I grew up with the DBZ english voices, so I don't know how unbiased I can be about that, but I liked the english dubs for DeathNote and FMA. Code geass as well, but that one was kinda hit and miss. A lot of times other dubs are acceptable, but I prefer to watch in subs, because a lot of the mannerisms and jokes are lost in english, and the sentence structure transition is often awkward.
zaknafielOct 31, 2011 2:47 PM
______________________________________________________________________________________________
If only you had justice on your side
Nov 1, 2011 9:11 PM
Jun 2011
I have yet to come across a series that I watched subbed, and has now been dubbed.
If there's an English dub available I watch it, rather then the subbed version

Subbed and Dubbed really don't phase me..
Dec 22, 2011 5:06 PM

Jun 2009
kanon 2006 dub > sub

i find the voices in the english dub for kanon more natural sounding and less childish than the japanese dub.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Dec 22, 2011 5:10 PM

Oct 2011
Yu-Gi-Oh! Only heard the Jap voices a couple of times but just felt like they didn't fit the characters.
Dec 22, 2011 5:11 PM

Feb 2009
Going from the FMA dub to the subbed FMA: Brotherhood took some getting used to, doing it with Bleach was easier though. Im sure it has something to do with what you watch first... I cant really imagine rewatching some of the older dubbed animes I had seen with their original Japanese voices and vice versa.
Dec 22, 2011 5:15 PM

Sep 2011
Highschool of the Dead & The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
Dec 22, 2011 5:52 PM

Aug 2008
Nope.
Dec 22, 2011 6:07 PM

Dec 2011
Slayers had a very good dub cast, especially Lina Inverse. Her voice was unique and fit the character so perfectly, it really impressed me.
Dec 22, 2011 7:40 PM

Mar 2011
Golden Boy just wouldn't be the same without the English dub. What a beast.

Cowboy Bebop, yes. Rurouni Kenshin also had an excellent dub. Actually I can't stand the subs in that one which is quite strange but oh well.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Dec 22, 2011 7:43 PM

Dec 2011
The only dub I support is the second brazilian dub for Sailor Moon, because it was hilarious. I cracked up everytime Makoto opened her mouth.
Kaleido Star's dub (brazilian, too) was actually quite decent... But I'll always prefer the original version.
I don't know much about english dubs tho. All I know is that I saw the trailer for Madoka Magica's english dubbed version and Kyuubey sounded like my brother doing impressions of videogame characters. meh...
Dec 22, 2011 7:59 PM

Dec 2009
Of course! ALOT! x3
Dec 22, 2011 11:20 PM

Jul 2011
Only for Bacanno and Hetalia. Otherwise, nothing else.

The only reason I would ever watch dubbed is if the characters need accents(hence bacanno and hetalia).
Dec 22, 2011 11:21 PM

Dec 2011
Yugioh, Dragonball/Z, and Full Metal Alchemist.
Dec 23, 2011 12:05 AM

Dec 2011
Russian version of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Songs're especially good.
Dec 23, 2011 2:15 AM

Dec 2011
InuYasha is the only one out of those that I've watched. And it will stay that way - I don't even bother watching the dub versions any more.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 23, 2011 4:10 AM

Aug 2011
The only one where I can say I prefer the dub is FMA/Brotherhood. I also watched Trigun dubbed, but I don't really mind the sub for it.
Dec 23, 2011 5:48 AM

Jun 2011
Cowboy Bebop
The Big O
Darker than Black
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Dec 23, 2011 6:40 AM

May 2011
yeas but only for fma and a code geass
please make my breakfast every morning for me sweet cheeks! *bowling position"
Dec 23, 2011 7:47 AM

Oct 2011
While I do think some of the dubs are decent, I have always found the subs to be better whenever I had a chance to compare the two.
Dec 23, 2011 8:32 AM

Sep 2009
Tanoshii Moomin Ikka

Watched it only in dub and I've never seen any of it in the original voices.
Dec 23, 2011 6:03 PM
Sep 2011
Usually a dub is fine by me as long as I haven't seen the original and the cast is mostly older male or female characters, but I find dubs to do poorly with voices for young girl characters, Higurashi and Nanoha's dubs come to mind especially.

With DBZ it's the opposite, the only reason I prefer is the dub (aside from nostalgic music) is that the Japanese had this weird idea to let Goku and Krillin keep their child voices. No grown man should screech like that.
Dec 23, 2011 6:08 PM

Sep 2010
RLinksoul said:

No grown man should screech like that.

Tell that to Akira Toriyama. He was thinks Nozawa captures Goku's childlike heart and that Goku's nature takes precedence over what a grown man should sound like.

Dec 23, 2011 6:08 PM

Oct 2011
I prefered the dub of Elfen Lied and some of Angel Beats.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2011 6:44 PM

Nov 2010
out of the anime ive had a chance to comapre both versions:
One Piece(Funimation), FMAB, Baccano, Monster, all the dubbed Gundam series, Welcome to the NHK, and Full Metal Panic.

Dec 23, 2011 6:46 PM
Sep 2011
Anime_Name said:
RLinksoul said:

Tell that to Akira Toriyama. He was thinks Nozawa captures Goku's childlike heart and that Goku's nature takes precedence over what a grown man should sound like.

That's funny, cause I think MasakoX of TeamFourStar did a good job of that without making him sound like a toddler.
Dec 23, 2011 7:00 PM

Sep 2010
RLinksoul said:
Anime_Name said:
RLinksoul said:

That's funny, cause I think MasakoX of TeamFourStar did a good job of that without making him sound like a toddler.

I don't know who that is or why I should care.

Dec 24, 2011 8:40 PM
Sep 2011
Anime_Name said:

Because you haven't seen Dragonball Z Abridged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxoT3A4qgRo&t=5m50s
Dec 24, 2011 8:44 PM

Sep 2010
RLinksoul said:
Anime_Name said:

Because you haven't seen Dragonball Z Abridged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxoT3A4qgRo&t=5m50s

Okay so now a fan dub voice is better than the original voice that was selected by the creator of the series.

...I need more egg nog.

Dec 24, 2011 8:54 PM
Dec 2011
Case Closed, DBZ, Inuyasha, Soul Eater, Yu Yu Hakusho, Chobits...

Bleach and Fushigi Yugi can go either way
Dr. Tora_Chan
Pages (17) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

40 by SwordBreaker36 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » bad ending means a bad show?

deg - 8 hours ago

23 by Mualani »»
4 minutes ago

» Why I won't check out anime based on PC visual novels

littlepaul1002 - 2 hours ago

11 by eblf2013 »»
6 minutes ago

» Is your waifu inspired by other waifus?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

8 by deg »»
10 minutes ago

» What are old anime that won't be made today

Kirika_Madeleine - 10 hours ago

24 by Lost_Viking »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.