Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 18, 7:27 AM

Feb 2012
That adlib Kikoru's VA did in the convoy scene was so her.
Everyone else jump-started for the operation whereas Kafka carefully climbed down. He overestimated his combat power, again. The seniors are shown up by not only ace Kikoru but, Iharu, Reno, Aoi and Haruichi, too. The seniors may not know the enemy's weak points but former monster sweepers such as Kafka know it as second-nature (feeling quite proud of himself to have told his officers about the reproductive organs). Of course, Kikoru, with her potential, can afford to just hit anything that could be a weak point. The suit noticed her response to Kafka's compliment.
Reno needs no assist!
c-c-cougar mode yesss
Mina's sniping scene was so awesome. I got total Eva positron canon vibes seeing it animated. Omg she used Kafka's name with the "-kun" honorific.
Hoshina's thinks his quickdrawing can mess with Kafka.
No. 9, whom Reno and Iharu spotted, was the one planting the reproductive organs that Kafka removed and informed his superiors about.
Fortress_MaximusMay 18, 4:55 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022

Dec 2021
Our Kafka and Kikoru have officially become friends. Also, lol, they are too tsundere for each other.

The bus heading to the monster's location carries the newly-appointed defense force members. As they settle in and prepare for their first mission, Soshiro reminds them of their duty. At the base, Leno and Kafka examine the monster they are tasked with eliminating and are impressed by its size. Nearby, Soshiro briefs the rookies on the monster’s status and their tasks. He informs them that Mina is leading another squad to handle the base monster, so the rookies will only need to deal with the smaller threats. Before they depart, he wishes them the best. Kafka then has a final conversation with Leno, expressing his excitement to start the mission, and Leno shows his support. With that, Kikoru leaps ahead of Kafka, ready for action.

Kikoru flexing like the chadette she is. She looks so good all suited up. But man, Ichikawa is doing his best so Kafka isn't forced to transform. Such a great bro. I do like that Kafka doesn't just rely on his Kaiju powers and instead uses his experience from being in the clean-up crew and studying. Other fighters were probably too grossed out to dive inside the corpses. I also wanted a badass moment from Soushirou, and damn, did it deliver. Also didn't expect the Kaiju No.9 to show up this early. Again, phenomenal episode animation-wise. It's the main thing the show has to offer, so I'm glad they're delivering. Though I am kinda sad they're starting to use CG for the kaiju, it was inevitable so whatever,

There he is again... the Kaiju No.9 is finally making his move.

Aug 2022
Artillery Regiment Actually fascinated me even if they didn't do much harm to Kaiju, well in irl it's different & we all know that.
Everybody jumps while our Kafka takes slow steps downwards 🤐.
Captain Ashino Mina-San drew 96%!!! Of combat power I was shocked tbh.
Ichikawa he's shining on the ground but he faces new advisory (Kaiju No.9) how'll they face this opponent & will our Kafka be able to take him on ? That's the question now arises.

Ricky16May 18, 7:36 AM

May 2020
It’s actually the plot armour that author has weaved for you and your character, which is giving you all the excitement in the world despite knowing how big of a failure you are, mister main guy. Though yeah, this being their first mission, but somehow someway these guys were already acting and working wayyyy better than those superiors cum veterans, which again kind of gives an idea just how big of a convenience it was when Kafka got selected in the defence troops lol.

NPC’s yelling “b-bakana” after every single move of Kikoru and two or three other guys who have colourful hairs aside, I kind of liked how they had to resort back and show Kafka is still only good at stuffs which revolve around disposing and stuff lol. By the way, Mina can wrap it all by herself right, with that “fat-man” esque sniping machine of hers, so it kind of raises a question why so many people are even needed in the first place lol.

Though yeah, power scaling in this is fucked up, and trust me it’d only get worse going forward. Just to make sure, other people remain relevant we got the main bad guy showing up to them, lol.
Softhenic03May 18, 7:38 AM
May 18, 7:31 AM

Nov 2023
Congratulations to Kafka!
In this episode he demonstrated that he can indeed be useful to the Defence Force in his own way.
Maybe he doesn't need his Kaijū powers to survive after all.

EDIT:
Imagine if the show suddenly turned away from Action, because Kafka became a Kaijū researcher.
Then the anime would turn into a Slice of Life of a scientist who uses his Kaijū powers to study them more easily.

I would watch an anime like that!
gorkthe134thMay 18, 7:52 AM
May 18, 7:33 AM

Jul 2017
Action was there but tension wasn't quite for me, this episode felt fitting for what is a first mission but just didn't enjoy it too much. At least Kafka was somewhat helpful with his previous knowledge, even if it looked like he didn't know where he was a bunch of times here before that. Wish Mina was a more compelling character than she has seemed to be so far for how much Kafka and some of the others want to be by her side. Animation and visuals still isn't quite Production I.G's best but it did the job enough for this episode.
May 18, 7:37 AM

Mar 2020
Another successful live. 😂

Great episode again. 🔥
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
May 18, 7:38 AM

Jun 2014
Time for the first mission and these new recruits are showing why they're considered a better than average bunch. Obviously we have Kikoru doing crazy shit but we got to see some impressive feats from all the other central characters with special hair colors lol (I like how you could tell from their introduction a few episodes back who would be a "main" character just from them having unorthodox hair). Kafka can't do what most of these recruits can but he makes up for it with his knowledge from working in the clean up crew, so that's valuable in its own way. Good lord Mina really wanted to make sure that thing was dead 💀 and it looks like we got some trouble brewing at the end there.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

May 18, 7:39 AM
Sep 2015
Kafka has his own way to fight Kaiju, no, not just "way", but actually "ways". He has both the knowledge and the power. But his dreamgirl's 96% power means he still has to try much harder. Not sure if there will ever be a day he can stand beside her but I'll always stand beside him... and Reno... and Iharu... and Aoi... and entire male cast.... (but that no.9 is excluded LOL).

Some interesting info that Kaiju seems to existed for a very long time before, so that's why humanity can adapted to Kaiju, it's not just years or decades, but centuries or even millennia. It's just like how our real world existed along side with natural disasters like Earthquake or Tsunami. We can't prevent it but we can prepare for it.
May 18, 8:05 AM

Mar 2016
A superhero that climbs down a wall to save the day like the past 30's old man he is, add pain in the knees and some omeprazole and I could relate to him.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

May 18, 8:10 AM

Feb 2021
Tf is Mina doing lmao? Each of these shots must be insanely expensive and I think they really could've used some of that Kaiju flesh.
18:33 室町 (muromachi) -Muromachi period (1336-1573). No wonder they have all these things specialized for Kaiju, these things have been out there forever it seems.
May 18, 8:33 AM
Oct 2022
Absolutamente Cine
May 18, 8:33 AM

Jun 2021
Ok episode since this was basically episode to hype up some side characters and set up for Kakfa and that kaijuu fight next episode.

The best thing about this episode was that kafka got less screen time than usual which of course mean that it was less cringy than the previous episode which almost make me dropped the show.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

May 18, 8:36 AM

May 2015
Kafka the abortion master!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 18, 8:46 AM
Sep 2021
Kafka & the 3rd division are doing well in their mission, but an unexpected variable appears.
May 18, 8:50 AM

Nov 2016
After AoT and World Triggerand Goblin Slayer you can't help but worry for the rookies. These first operations rarely go as planned.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 18, 9:09 AM

Jan 2018
Great episode. It was a bit worrying how rookies were up against a massive honju on their first mission. But Mina showed that it was just a small fry. The real problems are the countless yojus it spawns and also that intelligent kaiju.

I don't know if the show previously confirmed it but what Hoshina said about his family being kaiju hunters since the Muromachi period which was the 14th century confirms that kaijus have always existed in this world and they're not a recent phenomenon. Makes sense I guess.

What's this? Is Kikoru crushing on Kafka now? I wouldn't be too surprised. They've got an... interesting chemistry. But I'm hoping for Kafka's relationship with Mina to be explored more.

Kafka's old job made it easier for him to study kaijus and find out their weak spots. I'm glad that elements from the first episode are still in the story.

This episode went by so fast. That cliffhanger with Kaiju no. 9 was good. Can't wait for the next episode and Kafka's transformation.
May 18, 9:11 AM
Oct 2016
The new recruits first mission in the field. Going after this seemingly infinite spawn of monsters that popping up. Kafka given his first chance to show improvement in his abilities. Vice Captain Hoshina has let Kafka have this opportunity to prove himself and now is the first instance Kafka can. Using his past experience and knowledge from cleaning up kaiju to identify the weakness on these yoiju was very smart of Kafka. He can use moments like that to show his usefulness more and more. Not only him though we see all the recruits are showing their skills of the veteran members of the force. Kikuro especially is showing why she's got such high combat abilities. Reno is showing improvements and becoming a standout on his own. Iharu trying to be Reno rival is funny, chasing after him competing in his mind. Mina with the giant cannon was awesome, now that's some classic giant monsters fighting stuff! That was epic as hell, she just kept firing even after this thing was down and not moving. Reno and Iharu are in some serious trouble now running into that weird shape shifting Kaiju we saw before.
May 18, 9:13 AM

Jul 2016
The fact that Kafka actively chose not to be sitting duck as a 1-percenter and unintentionally ended up ruining the mastermind kaiju guy's plans is genuinely badass of him.

Hoshina with the classic samurai "unsheath blade for a split-second" attack lmao
May 18, 9:14 AM

Oct 2020
Kaiju No. 9 is making his move, uh oh that's not good.
May 18, 9:28 AM
Jun 2023
it was not bad its getting repetitive
May 18, 9:38 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
First time mission, recruits already showing up their potential to their best with Kikoru and her tsundere act as the top of them. Well, Kafka also showing his best as well, with his knowledge again ofc finding out such a valuable information to the troops. But i do wary since the ground troops doesn't need a research-type person on the field, so i am hoping Kafka find some set skill that can help him more impactful to the team. Perhaps its about time to unleash his kaijuu form into the public? Since those danger from the kaijuu imposter seems really dangerous to ignore since Reno being involved in the scene. Let's just hope captain Mina and the no-eyes vice captain can understand the circumstances. Or actually not....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 18, 9:41 AM

Dec 2023
Kafka basically said "I can't do much, but I can do what I can." Then proceeds to be the main factor in eliminating the Honju.

That Kaiju villain is about to go off. He's probably about to connect the dots and find out who Kaiju no. 8 is next episode.
May 18, 10:01 AM
Dec 2017
RGAEGETAHTRSHETHTRAHRHSHTTRSHSRT
May 18, 10:02 AM

Oct 2017
Mina sure packs quite the fire power and Hoshina's one of those super fast swordsman. It's fun watching Kikoru, she can be such a tsundere. #9 is here, oh boy.
May 18, 10:08 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Good episode again. Hope he does something next week (:
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
May 18, 10:14 AM
Oct 2019
cool episode, I want to see how this director will adapt the best scenes from the manga, I hope he has a more open brain to help us
May 18, 10:16 AM

Mar 2010
FUcking fantastic, I need more fuckkkkkk

Anyways twas cool asf seeing some kosmos battle stuff with dat huge laser gun thing lol.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 18, 10:35 AM
Jun 2021
I REALLY LOVE IT I NEED MORE EPISODE AFTER THE SEASON 1 ENDS
May 18, 10:40 AM
Aug 2015
Reply to Embient
Tf is Mina doing lmao? Each of these shots must be insanely expensive and I think they really could've used some of that Kaiju flesh.
18:33 室町 (muromachi) -Muromachi period (1336-1573). No wonder they have all these things specialized for Kaiju, these things have been out there forever it seems.
@Embient Since the yojus were tightly packed in the honju, I reckon she made a command decision to eliminate the small fry while they were still globbed together.
May 18, 10:41 AM
Jan 2022
The comedy really isn't hitting for me, and sometimes actually annoys me. Apart from that I'm liking it so far. I hope his kaiju form isn't used too little, considering him using his smarts instead of fighting will probably get old quick if he doesnt switch it up.
May 18, 10:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This has gotten pretty good. Kafka proved pretty useful by using his brains and experience and actually did more than anyone not the captain herself. Oh, and that humanoid Kaiju is a scary opponent.

That said I don't like Mina too much. I hope she gets brought down a notch soon.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 18, 11:18 AM
Feb 2024
I'm proud of Kafka. He recognized what he was capable of and put what he was good at to work. Might not have been the flashiest thing ever, but he's smart enough to use his head and do what he's good at. That was a great idea.
This episode is great for showing a little more of each person's individual capabilities when battling Kaiju and more about their personality and how much their suits can do. Seeing the world of difference between these new recruits and Mina's skill/power level was incredible. (I feel a little bad for the cleaning crew to come though 😅)
May 18, 11:20 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
It was very cool seeing not just the new recruits handle their first mission, but also just seeing the full scale operation with the combined efforts of the defense force and the JSDF, I appreciate that just because we have these power suits and super weapons, it doesn’t make traditional firepower obsolete. And those yoju were kinda freaky looking but didn’t take too much to go down thankfully, and with Kafka’s past experience as a cleaner he was able to make taking them down more efficient, that was a cool moment but hopefully this isn’t all Kafka will ever be able to manage as a human.

And I’m ngl, as cool as Mina using that big ass gun looked, I don’t think it necessarily made her look impressive, I get it has to do with combat power which means she is really good, but just pulling a trigger isn’t the greatest showing of her skill imo, it makes me more impressed with the weapon lol, hopefully later we can see her being more active. Also it was kinda funny how Mina kept blasting the honju despite it clearly being dead, I don’t blame her as it’s best to be absolutely sure it’s dead, I’ve seen enough movies lol. And the ending was a pretty big cliffhanger with an even bigger hoard of yoju moving in and that one kaiju that can disguise himself from before reappearing, the next one should be exciting.
May 18, 11:51 AM
Jul 2014
TATAKAE incoming? absolute cinema
May 18, 12:04 PM

Feb 2019
Another awesome episode, story really getting going now with the first mission for the latest defense force recruiting class and they’re way more talented than anyone thought.

Obviously Kikoru is on another level, but even Reno and Iharu have insane potential and the basic cadets too handled the Yonju well. Then you’ve got Mina just showing everyone the massive gap between them and her power, taking down the giant Kaiju solo is wild.

Kafka’s got a looong way to go if he wants to stand beside her, but we’re rooting for our guy 👍 Vice-Captain Hoshina may have a thing for her and try to discourage Kafka, but Mina’s been Kafka’s driving force for decades now so his feelings definitely dwarf the captain’s 🤷🏾‍♂️

Speaking of rooting, Kikoru blushing when Kafka praised her was so cute. Been shipping it the last episodes, love every scene they’re together in.

In his human form he might not be the strongest, but it’s cool seeing Kafka use his knowledge of Kaiju from his time as a cleaner in battle. Destroying reproductive organs, cutting open Kaiju, etc. there’s more to combat than just raw strength.

Uh oh, Kaiju 9 is here again.. next episode should be fire.
Marinate1016May 18, 12:36 PM
May 18, 12:06 PM
Mar 2015
Our boi is observant but so is the kaiju pretending to be human
May 18, 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
"We need more fire power"
removed-userMay 18, 12:14 PM
May 18, 12:28 PM
Dec 2019
Saad_siraj said:
RGAEGETAHTRSHETHTRAHRHSHTTRSHSRT

I completely disagree
May 18, 12:59 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So Mina is the girl with a really huge gun that took out the big kaiju with a couple of shots while Kafka was able to provide some useful information about the smaller kaiju monsters weak points. Unfortunately, Reno has run into the human turned Kaiju that has planned the whole thing.

The new recruits are definitely stronger this time around. Not bad for their first mission.
May 18, 1:26 PM

May 2019
Kikoru telling herself for Kafka to not disappoint her and he then proceeds to almost throw up in the van lol. At least he found critical information on the yoju core and that the white bumpy organs might spawn new yoju which gave him praise by Hoshina.
May 18, 2:41 PM

Jan 2021
Nice episode i liked that ichikawa was able to adapt quickly and create his own fighting style .
May 18, 3:11 PM
Jun 2016
I think the weakest episodes of this series so far have consisted of foot soldiers engaging in generic firefighting against same-looking monster extras in non-descript cityscapes and show-boating while waiting for the actual threat to materialize. There's tons of backtalk to overhype these awesome new recruits that feel a little unnecessary.

"Wow, these years recruits are something special". Can't they just be normal? Might help the danger feel more palpable.
-side note (I get that generally this is done to explain how the main cast can catch up to the rest of their seniors' "power ceiling" so as not to be sideliners and thus fall into irrelevancy... but I don't think this show calls for it. Rather I would at least prefer their skills are above average and speak for themselves. It just makes the generic experienced soldiers seem incompetent instead of making the new recruits seem strong. I like this anti-Kaiju organization so I *WANT* to be impressed by them, but that's hard when they're giving too much of a hand to the new guys).

"Hey, the dangerous monster appeared right behind you obviously super powerful dude, look out"! ...jee I wonder what overdone trope that line of dialogue is setting up? There've been quite a few very telegraphed shonen tropes in this show so far but there more I see them the less patience I have for each new one.

Sometimes when a show's writing feels like it's over-eager to please and look cool, it ends up backfiring and just looking basic and predictable. Excitement doesn't come from cool things existing, but rather from how those cool things get executed/create surprises. Then you notice most of the episode is guys standing on rooftops shooting rifles at monsters that don't fight back and the energy of "the recruits' first battle as soldiers" loses a lot of steam and edge. Obviously we're setting up a game-changer of danger that's going to be threatening and if it pays off then fine. But as a stand-alone slice of a larger story, there is here other than justification to make it clear just how strong and confident this new threat is going to be. Perhaps it's just the fault of how the medium breaks up the pace of these shows into necessary airable chunks. But the manga falls into the same structure issue, so then does the anime I guess.
May 18, 3:13 PM

Dec 2022
really nice. music and sound design really stand out in this show, some good giggles too
okay boss lady popping off was impressive but damn, don’t forget about lil ninja Vice Cap’n
May 18, 3:46 PM
Aug 2023
itsfuckingtrash
May 18, 4:23 PM
Mar 2019
It's a simple clear, and sweep though it's testing the newbies stamina. Kafka revealed how he can contribute to the defense force without going all kaiju. He'll get found out eventually, and maybe when he does, he will be accepted more than maligned.
May 18, 4:48 PM
Mar 2020
أراهن انه انمي الموسم اذا استمر ع هالمستوى
May 18, 4:58 PM
Sep 2016
God, it's SO. FUCKING. SLOW. Why is this shit titled "Kaiju no. 8"? We've barely seen fuck-all of it.
May 18, 5:58 PM

Apr 2022
i liked the setup and action, but i do think they should tone down the gags when it comes to action episodes like this one. also wasn't a fan of the colored aura, but otherwise good episode.
May 18, 6:50 PM

Mar 2007
Actually love a MC who isn't the usual young, brave whipper snapper but instead a grown man who can decide to fight using his skills and wits as the best weapons he has. The biology part he finds out after dissecting one of the corpses is a goldmine of information that the 2nd in command really appreciated!

The leader went a bit over the top with that big gun, 96% indeed! Even did the double .. no, triple, no quadruple tap.

And yet there are still tons of smaller ones coming out!

The 2nd in command finally shows off his skills and who boy, yup, that's he's #2. Damn! He suddenly became 10x more interesting.

I'm a bit worried about Ichikawa and the other guy who discovered the other Kaiju maker, right at that cliffhanger of an ending.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» what's with the hate? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 18

74 by college_boy »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Fortress_Maximus - Jun 22

229 by higherthanhigh »»
Sep 24, 10:50 AM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 29

275 by TheVistrian »»
Sep 23, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 15

259 by TheVistrian »»
Sep 23, 2:31 PM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

jas-samaaa - Jun 8

186 by TheVistrian »»
Sep 23, 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.