Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2009 8:39 AM

Mar 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
The beginning of the chapter was amusing, especially that guy being groped (lol), but the end of the chapter just made my brain make a giant "WUT??!!!". I mean seriously...wtf.. wtf... I'm not even sure yet whether I like this development or not..
Jun 23, 2009 3:52 PM

Aug 2007
Man. That man just tossed her like she was trash. Slaves were treated like shit. Brutal. An the old man is still looking for Thorfinn. I wonder how long it's been since Askeladd was dead. Probably 6 months to a year. Anyone besides me expected the chapter to be longer and Thorfinn wouldn't be in it? It's taking a new road so let's see where it may go.
Jun 23, 2009 4:25 PM

Dec 2007
whoa whoa whoa, so Thorfinn ended up in Denmark? And presumably as a slave? Now that's a change, I'm not sure if I like it or not yet.
Man, I just can't picture Thorfinn of all people as a slave, it's just too weird. haha.
Jun 23, 2009 5:16 PM
Jun 2007
nice development at the end ! but thorfinn a slave ....is this gladiator all over again ?
Jun 24, 2009 9:32 AM

Jan 2009
Personally I loved the chapter, and i love gladiator lol. Im just glad that thorfinn was in the chapter. This makes me want to see how he'll develop.
Jun 27, 2009 8:15 AM

Aug 2008
Ishmael said:
Man. That man just tossed her like she was trash. Slaves were treated like shit. Brutal. An the old man is still looking for Thorfinn. I wonder how long it's been since Askeladd was dead. Probably 6 months to a year. Anyone besides me expected the chapter to be longer and Thorfinn wouldn't be in it? It's taking a new road so let's see where it may go.

Yeah, considering there was a break, and chapter 1-44 were said to be the prologue, I would've thought that the chapter would be longer. And it also seemed as if Thorfinn wasn't going to be in the chapter, until the last page, of course.

But man, I really can't imagine Thorfinn being a slave. And he's so brutal, so he might end up killing his master. (His master seemed like a good guy, though.) Can't wait for more.
Jun 29, 2009 6:10 AM

Oct 2007
Tarje said:
whoa whoa whoa, so Thorfinn ended up in Denmark? And presumably as a slave? Now that's a change, I'm not sure if I like it or not yet.
Man, I just can't picture Thorfinn of all people as a slave, it's just too weird. haha.
Same here. Thorfinn looked so different, I might have a hard time getting used to it.
Jul 1, 2009 5:30 AM

Sep 2008
I think Thorfinn snapped when askeladd died...probably lost his savage side when he died. Cant wait for the next one!
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 2, 2009 8:37 PM

May 2008
WOW! Really good. I actually loved it.
This will surely get better. I think it's good that the author places Thorfinn in this situation since it brings more depth to him.
Jul 3, 2009 8:42 AM

Sep 2008
Amzi said:
WOW! Really good. I actually loved it.
This will surely get better. I think it's good that the author places Thorfinn in this situation since it brings more depth to him.

true. I loved the double twist in the plot.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 10, 2009 2:03 AM

Apr 2009
I didint like it. What the hell ! How come Thorfin live as slave.
Jul 10, 2009 8:29 AM

Sep 2008
Zer0_TR said:

exactly why i loved it. Its so unexpected and surprising :P
Jul 15, 2009 6:13 PM

Jan 2008
I love that everything up to this point was 'prologue'. This manga is shaping up to be one epic mature masterpiece, I hope it keeps up the quality and realises all the potential awaiting it. That potential ultimately being the personal journey of Thorfinn from boy to teen to man, with all that political stuff just being periphery to him.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 22, 2009 5:24 AM

Nov 2007
Seems after Thorfinn lost what he had been going for for so long he's lost all emotions, it will be interesting where the story progresses from here though.
Jul 24, 2009 5:43 PM

Apr 2008
After Askelad's death, Thorfinn has got nothing to do, his life ambition ended, but to the point of being a slave? Unexpected!!
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Jul 27, 2009 7:15 PM

May 2009
Zer0_TR said:

I think this might have been the only way for the Canute to spare Thorfinn. I mean he did try to kill the Prince.

Beatnik said:
I love that everything up to this point was 'prologue'. This manga is shaping up to be one epic mature masterpiece, I hope it keeps up the quality and realises all the potential awaiting it. That potential ultimately being the personal journey of Thorfinn from boy to teen to man, with all that political stuff just being periphery to him.

I like that to. If that much depth and work was put into the prologue i can only imagine that the rest of the story will be amazing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Jul 28, 2009 5:18 PM

May 2009
Also, ive been thinking, back in like chapter 2 or something when Thorfinn talked to that slave he said if he was a slave he would kill his master and run away. Foreshadowing?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Jul 29, 2009 7:07 AM

Sep 2008
Pash said:
Also, ive been thinking, back in like chapter 2 or something when Thorfinn talked to that slave he said if he was a slave he would kill his master and run away. Foreshadowing?

Interesting...
I dont remember that though. Was it that slave when Thorfinn was little and Thors helped this slave who ran away or was it before those chapters?
Jul 29, 2009 10:14 AM

May 2009
eyerok said:
Pash said:

Interesting...
I dont remember that though. Was it that slave when Thorfinn was little and Thors helped this slave who ran away or was it before those chapters?

It was in the second chapter, page 37 of the chapter, 125 of the volume. Hes talking to the slave of the town leader in the place Askelad's group stopped after the raid to spend the winter. Thorfinn says "I'm not like you! I wouldn't know how a slave feels! If i was you, I'd kill Grom and run away! And kill all my pursuers!"

This was before the section with Throfinn as a kid.
Jul 29, 2009 11:11 AM

Sep 2008
Pash said:
eyerok said:
Pash said:

Interesting...

It was in the second chapter, page 37 of the chapter, 125 of the volume. Hes talking to the slave of the town leader in the place Askelad's group stopped after the raid to spend the winter. Thorfinn says "I'm not like you! I wouldn't know how a slave feels! If i was you, I'd kill Grom and run away! And kill all my pursuers!"

oh...cool.
Aug 6, 2009 5:44 AM

Oct 2008
Interesting development, that's for sure.
I'm hoping this new slave guy that's now joining Thorfinn doesn't remain the narrator/main character though. This chapter just gave me this feeling that that is going to be the case...
Aug 6, 2009 11:52 AM

Jan 2008
BigSimo said:
I'm hoping this new slave guy that's now joining Thorfinn doesn't remain the narrator/main character though. This chapter just gave me this feeling that that is going to be the case...

Interesting point. Maybe he's another famous historical figure? I'm not too clued up on this historical period so I have no idea.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 7, 2009 10:56 PM

Oct 2008
Beatnik said:
BigSimo said:

Interesting point. Maybe he's another famous historical figure? I'm not too clued up on this historical period so I have no idea.
Yeah neither. Though, he doesn't seem anyone special after having read chapter 56. He just manages to get on my nerves more than anything else =/
Though, Yukimura Makoto has a habit of making dramatic changes to characters personalities (as seen with the Prince and more recently Thorfinn), so who knows.
Jan 11, 2010 4:31 PM

Nov 2009
No!!! Thorfinn is a god damn slave, probably cause he lost the will to live now but still this sucks... how will there be awesome fighting if he is now a stupid slave. I wish he had become an assasin or something.
Feb 5, 2013 7:28 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
What happened to Thorfinn?! Every time I try to predict what is going to happen, Makoto throws a curveball at me.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 3, 2013 1:45 AM

Jun 2008
Ishmael said:

Even free men could end up being tossed like trash if they got sick at those times. People where afraid of sickness since they had no ways of curing them and epidemics killed the shit out of them.

koreye said:
Pash said:
eyerok said:
Pash said:

Interesting...

oh...cool.

i remember that talk but i don't think Thorfinn cares right now. His "whatever" says it all.
He certainly had the look of a man with no motivation at all. His life purpose disappeared and now his just lost, so his more like playing the slave cause he knows not what to do with his life. He could probably escape or kill the shit out of everyone but he doesn't even care about what he is doing.

Pirating_Ninja said:
No!!! Thorfinn is a god damn slave, probably cause he lost the will to live now but still this sucks... how will there be awesome fighting if he is now a stupid slave. I wish he had become an assasin or something.

Relax dude is just temporary until he finds some purpose in his life. Also seriously seeing all your post it makes me wonder why you bother reading such manga and don't just stick with a battle shounen.
MonadJul 3, 2013 1:52 AM
Sep 21, 2013 12:16 AM

Sep 2011
I hope that something motivates him, he looks so soulless...
Dec 21, 2014 3:34 PM

Sep 2013
Talk about a sudden twist. I like manga like these.
Jan 17, 2015 1:20 PM

Jan 2014
Well...that was unexpected.
Feb 16, 2016 10:06 PM

Dec 2013
Things have taken an unexpected turn. What happened with Thorfinn?
Apr 8, 2017 8:41 PM

Oct 2014
I just can't stop reading....
Nov 26, 2018 2:19 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
O_o Thorfin? Oh my God, how this boy changed!!!! kekeke
Aug 12, 2019 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
What happened to my cute Thorfin
Aug 21, 2019 7:28 AM

Dec 2016
that poor fucking kid
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Dec 9, 2019 6:09 AM
May 2016
It looks like this story is taking a completely different turn of events from what I was expecting. Can't deny, I'm actually loving this development, what an interesting change of pace!
Dec 9, 2019 2:11 PM

Nov 2016
Thorfinn looking like a shadow of his former self. Losing his will or drive to live was one of the options, still didn't expect to see him as slave. Really interested to see what turn the story has taken.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 1, 2020 1:50 PM

Oct 2013
He looks like a old man? Is this a 20 years timeskip? lol Interesting development nonetheless.
Jan 1, 2020 9:12 PM

Sep 2019
keragamming said:
He looks like a old man? Is this a 20 years timeskip? lol Interesting development nonetheless.
lol, you started it. The controversial arc but a more lol is that the there is an arc which is more controversial. Happi journey.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Jan 1, 2020 10:50 PM

Oct 2013
Peeti said:
keragamming said:
lol, you started it. The controversial arc but a more lol is that the there is an arc which is more controversial. Happi journey.

Yep, I think is time to find out what's all the hype/hate is about for this arc.
Oct 10, 2021 1:11 AM

Mar 2021
oh so no wonder why i often heared "slave arc" in vinland saga anime videos
Oct 22, 2022 8:10 PM

Aug 2021
well... that's definitely a change of pace. time skip... but how long?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 210 Discussion

RodIshiCi - 2 hours ago

3 by Animeunderrated »»
46 minutes ago

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

7 by deg »»
Apr 24, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Apr 18, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.