Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2013 2:41 PM

Sep 2011
Uhm... It was okay? I guess. I'm not a big fan of sports type anime, but this one had eye-catchy animation and some good moments to it. Though I lol'd @ ending of them being disqualified.

7/10.
Sep 25, 2013 2:43 PM

Jun 2012
"See you next summer"

KyoAni I'm holding you to that.
Tutturu ~
Sep 25, 2013 2:54 PM

Aug 2007
Beautiful episode.

Rei is really the best friend all of them could ever have.
Sep 25, 2013 3:01 PM

May 2012
That was a surprisingly good ending. Has that nice slice of life feel to it.
Sep 25, 2013 3:01 PM

Aug 2013
GtG_Home said:
need more sport to this anime.

Agreed.

And to think I started watching this series from Day 1 with the expectation that it would be a sports shounen that would cater to both genders. :/
Sep 25, 2013 3:03 PM

Feb 2011
The legend says they still want to be free !
Sep 25, 2013 3:06 PM

Feb 2012
Really disappointed with the ending, and the way Rei stepped down and allowed Rin to swim instead of him, with no one trying to stop this, made me feel like Rei doesn't belong there at all anymore.
Sep 25, 2013 3:06 PM

Oct 2009
Really good. The animation was top notch.
Sep 25, 2013 3:07 PM

Jan 2013
that was good.
Hope there is a second season :D
Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.- Tifa lockhart
Which is it? A memory or us? -Tifa lockhart
Sep 25, 2013 3:08 PM

Dec 2011
SEE YOU NEXT SUMMER.
2ND SEASON? 2ND SEASON?

It's sad that rei didn't join the relay ;_; the feels tho. I cried.
Rin transferring to Iwatobi~~~
Sep 25, 2013 3:08 PM

Jul 2012
So they all took acid or mushrooms before the race and had hallucinations? Lol
Sep 25, 2013 3:09 PM

Feb 2009
I laughed, I cried, it was a pretty good anime. The characters were likeable so I wouldn't mind a second season.

But when Rin's eyes started getting super shiny and tearing up, I couldn't help thinking of a shark with big anime eyes. xD
Sep 25, 2013 3:11 PM

Apr 2009
I wasn't sure whether to give this show an 8/10 or 9/10 before this episode but THIS EPISODE WAS SO EMOTIONAL. AND ARGH. 9/10!!! Tears in my eyes.

I didn't expect much when it came to this show so the quality surprised me. There was a good amount of character development. The pacing and characterization were well done. Good animation. Enjoyable characters and relationships. My favourites have got to be Rin and Nagisa. Nagisa was an unexpected character. Devious, extroverted, driven but looks like a shota.

Perhaps now that Rin has his own dream, he'll be more emotionally stable? Something that I hope for though it's hard to say. A lot of serious athletes probably go through cycles of intense drive and insecurity.

The first BluRay/DVD is selling really well so maybe the 'see you next summer' thing is for real.
Sep 25, 2013 3:11 PM

Apr 2007
this was so...gay
Sep 25, 2013 3:12 PM

Jan 2011
PERFECt!!!!!!!

Sep 25, 2013 3:13 PM

Apr 2009
Wow what a beautiful anime. I'm so glad I started watching it from the day the first episode came out, despite originally not wanting to. I loved waiting for every episode, I loved watching every bit of it, and I loved everything about it.
I rarely react so well to anime. Just wow.
I'm just feeling filled with positivity and
gosh
I still can't really for words properly hahahah
I'm just really glad this anime exists

On more coherent notes -
Rei is so great, he really grew on me in the last couple of episodes. Haru is such a sweetheart as usual <3 and ok I'm really glad Rin apologised to Nitori in the end cause that yelling was so out of line and the apology really rounded up his character development.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Sep 25, 2013 3:14 PM

Apr 2007
The best scene in the whole show was the teacher in the bikini...so smexy !!
Sep 25, 2013 3:17 PM
May 2012
One of the best ending I've ever seen. 9/10. One of those anime that came out better than expected.
Sep 25, 2013 3:21 PM

Aug 2007
Ramkec said:
Really disappointed with the ending, and the way Rei stepped down and allowed Rin to swim instead of him, with no one trying to stop this, made me feel like Rei doesn't belong there at all anymore.

Rei gave up his spot for the other four's sake. It was the only solution for them to be able to get over their past angst so all FIVE of them can be friends and swim together more in the future. He did it for the sake of their team's future. Friendship is beautiful, and its what Rei wanted to see between Rin & the others at last. Its only one relay out of the many more he will swim with them to come.
Sep 25, 2013 3:26 PM

Jun 2013
10/10, Can't wait for next season :) Ended how I wanted it to.
Sep 25, 2013 3:30 PM

Dec 2011
Poor Rei. Didn't get to swim... but I guess this ending is just fitting. Well done, KyoAni.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2013 3:41 PM

May 2008
ALL.
MY.
TEARS!!!
Sep 25, 2013 3:45 PM

Jan 2011
Wow what a nice feel good show, I can't wait for season 2!
[center]
Sep 25, 2013 3:47 PM

Apr 2013
That was emotional. A very nice ending to conclude the series
8.5/10 from me
Would love to see season 2
See you next summer!
Sep 25, 2013 3:47 PM

Feb 2010
I wasn't expecting how mature Rei was. For me at least was a good final chapter and a good show. Even with things that aren't fair, that is how works adolescence and friendship. I liked how natural and smooth went everything.

again I'm expressing myself really bad. I have mixed feelings.

And, at least for me, a second season was pretty obvious. So much money involved with this fanbase how to deliberate throwing that chance away. So, waiting for next season :3c
"...To kiss, that beautiful woman cherry-like lips"
Sep 25, 2013 3:54 PM

Mar 2011
StevenHu said:
GtG_Home said:
need more sport to this anime.

Agreed.

And to think I started watching this series from Day 1 with the expectation that it would be a sports shounen that would cater to both genders. :/
Were you really expecting Free! to be a shonen?
.__.

...Really?
Sep 25, 2013 3:56 PM

Aug 2013
Nouilly said:
Seriously... I hated that Rin replaced Rei...

Rei , you're da best character ever.

"see you next summer"

I feel the same he is so awesome!
Sorry! I must admit I am confused most of the time.
Feel free to recommend anime to me, or tell me to shut up.
Sep 25, 2013 3:56 PM

Aug 2012
Rin is just too adorable. Omg, he made me cry, he's too dang cute. Anyways, it was a good ending to a good anime :)
Sep 25, 2013 3:59 PM

Apr 2009
peacecraft said:
Ramkec said:

Rei gave up his spot for the other four's sake. It was the only solution for them to be able to get over their past angst so all FIVE of them can be friends and swim together more in the future. He did it for the sake of their team's future. Friendship is beautiful, and its what Rei wanted to see between Rin & the others at last. Its only one relay out of the many more he will swim with them to come.

Truth. I think Rei giving up the position to Rin actually made them more of a team because... Iwatobi was disqualified as a team. Haru, Makoto and Nagisa didn't move out without him. All four of them decided to throw the competition together. Plus, Rei wanted them to get over Rin and the past and this was a critical step to making that happen. He got what he wanted.
Sep 25, 2013 4:07 PM

Dec 2008
Rin, you could have been swimming with them all along if you hadn't been such an asshole!

Next summer? I hope so! I can't get enough of Makoto and Rei.
Sep 25, 2013 4:10 PM

Nov 2012
Hehe, didn't like the first episode at all but in the end really liked it, not the best but definitely very enjoyable. Dammit wanted Rin to transfer to their school!! Anyway, will be watching the next season!

Sep 25, 2013 4:13 PM

Jun 2013
That ending was everything I could've asked for and more. Rin!!! Smiling!!! ;-;

Brb, bawling my eyes out. ;-;
Too lazy to make a signature. F*** it.
Sep 25, 2013 4:14 PM

Feb 2008
I did not enjoy this show at all (since I'm not a teenage girl). Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say. Hopefully Kyoukai no Kanata will be better.
Sep 25, 2013 4:15 PM

Jan 2013
To be honest this anime did not live up to all the expectations I had for it back in July when I was waiting impatiently by my computer for the very second it would be released for online streaming. But that is my own fault.

It was still an enjoyable show even though it seemed inconsistent with its quality. Some things it does very well. Other things not so much. There were a couple episodes where I fell asleep watching, but then there were others like the finale that had me cheering. I didn't see much character development except for Rei. Haruka and Rin were my least favorite characters. The artwork was great, but there were a few awkwardly drawn facial expressions that put me off.

But generally this show was warm and has a beautiful message to its viewers, and it's not mindless fan service. 6/10
Sep 25, 2013 4:16 PM

Apr 2013
meh, fun vibe but way too much bitching and pathetic slice of life moments.. swimming was good, but there was almost none during the whole cour.

anyway 7/10

what made it worse..
Rin = douchebag
that grey hair dude = can't stand any scene he's in
KneelBeforeMeSep 25, 2013 4:25 PM
Sep 25, 2013 4:21 PM

Jul 2013
Crying bc last episode...

best ending ever can i just ugh ctrying
:((((((((((((((((((((((((9
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)dont hate me cause you aint me( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 25, 2013 4:22 PM

Sep 2011

I think this shows Rei was secure enough in his position in their team. The Rei in the early episodes would never have done that. But Rei knows he's their teammate, he knows they value him and care about him. They all bonded, and he's not going anywhere. He wanted Rin to have that too.
Sep 25, 2013 4:33 PM

Jun 2011
I'll be waiting for the summer. :)
「Icon credit to Milady666 ♡」
Sep 25, 2013 4:33 PM

Jul 2013
Ugh that ending was ok, I gained a lot of respect for Rei for stepping down to let Rin swim with the team, but I wish that it didn't happen. This show was very predictable, and I was one of those people who though this was going to be a shounen sport series (I should've known it wasn't going to be like that). I can't say that I really liked this show, it just ok for me, the animation was nice, but that's all I could really say, I give it a 6/10. I hope things are settled better next summer.
Sep 25, 2013 4:38 PM

Dec 2009
Well, that dramatic scene between Rin and Haru was hilarious. Not sure if it was intended. Also, while Rei was a cool guy, it felt sad that nobody care about him. This whole ending felt like it belonged to another series in fact.

So here's my review:

MATSUOKA-SENPAI SENPAI YOU'RE THE BEST MATSUOKA MATSUOKA MATSUOKA-SENPAI YOU CAN DO IT SENPAI SENPAI SENPAI MATSUOKA YOU'RE SO COOL MATSUOKA SENPAI SENPAI

6/10
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Sep 25, 2013 4:43 PM

Jun 2011
Loved it <3 This entire anime had this amazing chill atmosfere and last episode couldn't been better.
I was very sceptical at the beginning-but I'm glad I kept on watching :D
*eating brains*
Sep 25, 2013 4:46 PM

May 2013
Didnt like that they left rei behind and got disquallifiied but in the end it turned out well, "see you next summer"? are they planning on making a second season?
Sep 25, 2013 4:51 PM

Jul 2013
It was a great ending, it didn't feel stupid and closed everything up. I do wish they'd have explored the swimsuit teacher thing a bit more, maybe an OVA for that? I loved that bro-hug rin gave Haru. If they kissed it would have ruined the episode. It's clear they're not gay for each other so why kiss? Tumblr girls are going to be pissed though.
Sep 25, 2013 4:52 PM

Feb 2008
Marow said:
MATSUOKA-SENPAI SENPAI YOU'RE THE BEST MATSUOKA MATSUOKA MATSUOKA-SENPAI YOU CAN DO IT SENPAI SENPAI SENPAI MATSUOKA YOU'RE SO COOL MATSUOKA SENPAI SENPAI

Oh god. I had to skip every single scene where he showed up.
Sep 25, 2013 4:58 PM

Feb 2008
Expected K-On with shirtless boys, instead got a legitimately good sports show. Easily the best KyoAni show I've seen. But since I'm a guy I need to hate this show to prove my sexual orientation. 2/10 I'm not really pumped up for a sequel though, as the conflict was pretty much solved and the story finished. I could see an OVA, but a S2 would feel forced. But hey, same could be said about Chuu2, yet it got a forced S2 too. I'll watch the sequel for sure.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 25, 2013 4:59 PM

Sep 2012
Whyyyyyyy Rei?? I really wanted to see you swimming!
And WTF was that? Did they use lsd before the competition? LOL

But that was a good show, I'd like to see another season
O importante não é o que fazemos de nós, mas o que nós fazemos daquilo que fazem de nós
Sep 25, 2013 5:00 PM
Jan 2013
Veronin said:
since I'm not a teenage girl
Sep 25, 2013 5:08 PM

Jul 2007
Have to say I hated this episode.

I wanted to see Iwatobi swim, not a replay of their childhood relay.

The show is called Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club, but the entire episode focused about Rin being a spoiled, selfish brat and everyone catering for him so he would stop crying.

What happened to “see how far we can go together”, no, it was cast aside for Rin’s sake, like everything else.

They should’ve competed against Rin, even if Rin would’ve won. Couldn’t they have talked about his insecurities and issues without having him replace Rei? It was just wrong, wrong, wrong and now I can’t even be truly happy with them all being friends again, because poor Rei must be feeling so disappointed inside and putting up a front.

Also, there was not enough Makoto. There was not enough Nagisa. There was not enough Rei.. man, even Haruka didn't get much focus because it was all about Rin.

So for me, the show ends with episode 11... see how far they can go together. And still undecided if I should lower my rating or just ignore this episode, because I liked and enjoyed the series so much.
Sep 25, 2013 5:09 PM

Dec 2012
Although I understand that the true focus of the relay was Iwatobi + Rin, I found it funny how they didn't show any scenes of Samezuka's relay team which was competing in that same relay. The Samezuka relay team must have been so confused as to why their teammate is in an adjacent lane lol.
Sep 25, 2013 5:11 PM

Aug 2009
This episode was a fine season ending - lots of angst, then happy and cheesy.
They all finally reached the sensation of "FREE" (Rei needs to reach it next time!). Nagisa's sight was really cute, just look at those sea creature avatars <3

When Rin yelled at Nitori to shut up, I was like, yeah shut up little kouhai, but then Rin went overboard and I felt a little bad...

Haru is so talkative and smiling all the time, it's almost scary ;D (though why did he not smile in the end photos?)

(Almost) naked man hugs for everybody - see you next summer water time!
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.