Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2013 9:01 AM

Aug 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, what an amazing episode. Can't believe how brave serenity was, nice one.

I think Mai's character has shown very well in the last 20 episodes, I thought she was a jerk at first but now she seems decent.
Mar 16, 2014 7:53 PM

Oct 2012
That was actually dumb, so Kaiba throw a card at this rare-hunter guy and he dropped his remote-control, THAT was his plan? And Kaiba knew it was his Blue Eyed White Dragon and that was important to mention?
And why could Joeys dragon attack, after the duel was over? And why did he finish the duel in one blow, I thought it only had 900 ATK, but Joey had 1100 lifepoints left...
And there is something else I don't get: Why the timelimit? If it was over, Marik wouldn't have won the puzzle in a duel. The whole anchour thing was unnecessary, take Tea as a hostage would have been enough to force them to a duel, right?

Glad this one is over. I really like the anime, but this duel didn't make any sense, it was dragged and there was no real tactic behind it. It was just Yugi begging at Joey and Marik using one magic card after another to attack Yugi directly.
I hope Marik fights on his own soon...
Jan 1, 2015 10:13 AM

Jan 2013
The timelimit made sure that they couldnt just do nothing at all and therefore making it impossible for either of them to die.
Remember the meteor btw, it would half the amount of lifepoints Jounouchi (Joey) has when he used it, so at the time Yugi fired the Meteor back, he would have 550 LP.

The card Kaiba would throw was kinda predictable, it's all about his Blue Eyes.
Jul 11, 2015 4:07 PM

Jun 2012
I almost teared up this ep. T_T And lmfao at kaiba x'D "please be a common card! damn it was a blue eyes. Im too good."
Sep 27, 2016 12:25 PM
Jan 2012
uau nice episode. I liked much the moment Serenity/Shizuka jumps the water to save joey.
Joey great heroes for yugi -oh in my opinion. Like the confront.
Ensures good moments of distress when the cronometer was running.
good idea Yugi call merick to fight. I hope great expectatives in final.
Sep 27, 2016 9:33 PM
Jan 2012
Good episode. Much emotions moments. like see serenety/shizuka saves joey in the water.
Feb 18, 2017 3:45 AM

Jun 2009
did kaiba really just throw a card at that guy? lmfao
May 13, 2017 4:53 PM

May 2012
Fantastic episode, but from going to a card game to even attempt of murder! Pretty damn crazy!

Really lovely development, let's see what's next.
Aug 12, 2017 9:47 AM

Aug 2013
This duel in particular is probably one of the one's most hampered by the 4kids dub, the just weren't to where they needed to be for the most impact.
Jun 24, 2019 7:47 PM

Dec 2011
One of my favorite duels this season. In dub, I love how Yugi's voice quivered. In sub, I love how he told Joey he loves him after taking that pause. I don't think it's shown too often male characters telling their male friends they love them, with that word usage. Kind of like in dub, how they only kept the best friends line. It's important to tell your friends you love them even if they already know it. Especially when, yknow, you think you're gonna die lol

And Joey throwing away his time to unlock his chain to get to Yugi? I mean, he could have grabbed his key at least and then jumped, but in the spur of the moment, it's hard to think. Their bond is so special :*) it also says something about Yugi's development that he wanted to duel himself. Not only that, but he stayed assertive about it.

Serenity's crowning moment of awesome was also gorgeous. This is her big entrance and she finally got to be active.
Sep 6, 2019 6:30 PM

Nov 2016
Kaiba is a top duelist, but his skills at throwing cards? Out of this world lmao. Guess everything can be a weapon in this series. Jokes aside, nice episode.
The original version of this duel and the dialogue had definitely more impact.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 22, 2020 10:27 AM

Nov 2017
Good golly, this is one of the most emotional, and best written episodes in Yu-Gi-Oh! It really puts the whole theme of friendship and being a good person on full display.

I dead ass teared up throughout. Who's choppin' the onions???

Yuugi tells Jounouchi that because of him, he's not alone any more. "You give me courage. You're my most important friend. Jounouchi, I love you." Then he tells the Spirit Mirror trap card to attack him instead. 😭

Jonouchi's box opens to the key to unlock his shackle and he's like, "You idiot! How can I leave you here?" 😭

He gets Red-Eyes Black Dragon to attack him so his life points are reduced to zero too, and Yugi's key is revealed. Instead of unlocking his shackle, he leaps across to help Yuugi first. 😭

The bomb detonates and the anchor drags them both down. Jonouchi unlocks Yuugi's shackle and he's brought to the suraface. Honda dives in to grab him and bring him over to the dock. 😭

After that, everyone's trying to save Jonouchi, but Shizuka already has the key and dives in to the water. Not only did she save her brother, but her first sight is of him saving his best friend. 😭

Thanks, Kaiba for the humour. Jonouchi isn't an 馬の骨 anymore. He's a 凡骨 now!

I really love the flashbacks involving Jonouchi. It really shows how he went from being a bully to being a good friend and his growth as a duelist. People really are capable of change, change for the better. &++ everyone develops at their own rate.

All these characters have big hearts! And that counts for a lot!
May 6, 2020 8:17 PM

Nov 2009
I'll be honest I haven't enjoyed much of Battle City at all but this was absolutely what I needed to see, fantastic stuff.
Oct 5, 2020 11:15 AM

Apr 2007
Such an emotional duel overall and when they're dragged into the water and then Shizuka jumps in to save her brother...beautiful. Truly some of the best episodes in the series.

I remembered this part so well from when I watched it in English so many years ago, but it truly is a different experience watching it in Japanese. I find myself liking Jonouchi more in general and I certainly didn't expect to hear Yugi to say 'I love you' to him either.
Mar 14, 2021 4:01 PM

May 2019
The sakuga this episode was goddamn fantastic!
Apr 16, 2021 8:02 AM

Apr 2020
I hate myself for shipping yugi and Jonouchi

Jonouchi, you chad. Literally gaining so much development which is why you're my fav character now

Despite having noticeable possible plotholes, this episode impressively redeemed itself by its climax —from Jonouchi's sister removing her blindfold until her saving him—. Undoubtedly epic
Oct 13, 2021 10:10 PM

Aug 2019
Marloges said:
That was actually dumb, so Kaiba throw a card at this rare-hunter guy and he dropped his remote-control, THAT was his plan? And Kaiba knew it was his Blue Eyed White Dragon and that was important to mention?
And why could Joeys dragon attack, after the duel was over? And why did he finish the duel in one blow, I thought it only had 900 ATK, but Joey had 1100 lifepoints left...
And there is something else I don't get: Why the timelimit? If it was over, Marik wouldn't have won the puzzle in a duel. The whole anchour thing was unnecessary, take Tea as a hostage would have been enough to force them to a duel, right?

I really suggest re-watching the series in Japanese because the dub added things that didn't even happen in the original version:

1) Kaiba didn't know that the card was BEWD at first - he actually said that he hoped it was a common card when he first drew it, then after he threw it when he saw that it was BEWD he commented about how his drawing skills were just too good.
2) REBD could still attack because of the secondary effect of Meteor of Destruction since technically the duel wasn't over yet since Meteor of Destruction's effect hadn't completely resolved yet.
3) Jounouchi's LP was 600; Meteor of Destruction cost 500 LP to activate, so Jounouchi went from 1100 to 600, then 600 to 0 after REBD attacked him.
4) Marik was never after the puzzle to begin with. The time limit was meant to be part of the torture aspect of Marik's plan, in which he wanted Yugi (well, Yami Yugi/Atem) to suffer as much as possible.

What I hated about this episode was that Kaiba waited three freaking episodes before pulling the helicopter stunt. Why wait so long and cut it close? Anzu would've died before then. I also wish that he'd dropped Jounouchi's key like in the manga.
Early_MorningOct 13, 2021 10:14 PM
Dec 25, 2021 4:49 AM

Jan 2020
Kaiba could kill someone with one of his card if he wants to...
Dec 25, 2021 4:51 AM

Jan 2020
Nice additional 30 seconds, I guess friendship is really what matters....
Jan 11, 2022 1:06 PM

Nov 2019
The guy piloting the helicopter jumped off right before crashing into the water… right?
I love those friendship moments in shounen, I really wish I could have something like that someday in my life. Priceless.
Jan 12, 2022 11:22 AM

Aug 2019
The guy piloting the helicopter jumped off right before crashing into the water… right?
I love those friendship moments in shounen, I really wish I could have something like that someday in my life. Priceless.

I don't think there was anyone inside actually. I don't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure Kaiba had the helicopter set on autopilot or something.
Apr 14, 2022 5:05 PM

Nov 2010
It would be so much better if the trading cards in real life were made of the same materials like those used in the anime.
Jan 8, 9:31 AM

Jan 2021
This episode showcases that there lies a heart beyond the children's card game that is at the forefront of this anime. The Battle City arc is in my opinion the epitome of what is great about this series and this episode is its magnum opus, the best of the franchise. I don't get emotional very often watching anime, but hot damn did I get the feels this episode. 10/10 would cry again.
Feb 7, 2:56 PM
Jun 2023
the last thing i expected was serenity jumping on the ocean behind her brother it almost bring me to cry... so cool. i dont get that the anchor has 300kg and that is near the land so it was not supose to be so deep after all. about the anchor, physics dont exist in yugioh, joey was supose to be on the bottom of the ocean
Mar 22, 10:58 PM

Oct 2013
Jonouchi saved his sister's eyes and now his sister saved his life ;_____; choked me up

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm

More topics from this board

» Favorite "Duel Monsters" saga? And why?

Matthappy - Mar 26

16 by Matthappy »»
Apr 6, 12:37 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 32 Discussion

Frezlaj - Jan 31, 2014

13 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 29 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

7 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 27 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

10 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 8:41 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 24 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 20, 2010

19 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 2:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.