Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2022 4:45 AM

Jul 2017
Official world premiere ahead of schedule.

Continuing on with Volume 1's re-telling, the girls arrive in Beacon Academy, with Yang and Ruby being the close sisterly bond as they are. Of course, Blake and Weiss at this point are unknown strangers, one a closed-off recluse and the other a famous standout.

For a start, taking a test as a pair to become certified Huntsmen and Huntresses, and this is where we get our introduction with Team Juniper (JNPR) with Pyrrha and Jaune Arc, while Beacon Academy headmaster Ozpin and the special anime-only character Shion Zaiden oversees the entire test.

The Grimm monsters are as deadly as they come, but not sure if I can stomach the usage of 3DCG. This is where the remaining Team JNPR pair of Nora and Ren comes in, and all candidates bond together to avoid calamity. This is some SAKUGA and great action that just puts Rooster Teeth's production to shame.

The formation of Team RWBY with Ruby being the leader, relenting or not, they're all paired together regardless.
Jun 24, 2022 8:15 AM

Sep 2021
So thats why this is called RBWY, because of the names, makes sense
Jun 24, 2022 8:28 AM

Nov 2020
An anime adaptation outside of the original? Honestly caught me off guard. It also seems there is new content that didn't exist before, feels kinda like a "Brotherhood" situation. Loving this so far, looking forward to the rest!

Also, Penny is the best girl, fight me.
Jun 24, 2022 9:56 AM

Jul 2011
Jaune already have a way to Pyrrha armor pants.

I was kinda disappointed on how Ruby finished the crow Grimm. I was hoping for cutting in two up-down, while rotating like Capt. Levi.
Jun 24, 2022 1:16 PM

May 2018
Observations and comparisons to OG RWBY.

- Everybody from the MCs met with the others for the first time in a bit different circumstances. IMO it's more fun that way.
- Some inconsistencies who was launched from where.
- Wow, new character - The Nightmare Hunter. An interesting new kind of...hunter.

alshuJul 11, 2022 3:35 AM
Jun 24, 2022 2:16 PM

Jan 2019
So glad they are making changes and not being 1:1 with the original. The original has huge problems in its writing, despite being a fun watch. Hope the anime adaption makes RWBY as great as I’d wish it could be.
Jun 24, 2022 3:58 PM

May 2021
The way Pyrrha and Jaune fell was a bit janky but the bird fight more than made up for it. There's a new character as well.

Jun 24, 2022 6:21 PM

Mar 2019
Interesting to see a new character introduced already, I guess the show will be slightly different as it goes on. As an OG fan, its exciting to see how much original content will be used and what new exciting stuff could happen.

I'm a little disappointed in the fight scene with the bird though. It was so well done in the original and was leagues above this one IMO. Juane also seems a little too confident for his character already as well..
SwizzeJun 24, 2022 6:35 PM
Jun 25, 2022 5:53 AM

Jul 2021
I can see to where to the point the animation is kind of janky but the 2nd half makes up for it. But interesting the academy test was so fun and engaging, slaying all these monsters inside the forest. Hell, the birds fighting segment was pretty amusing with Ruby and her team work with others.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 25, 2022 8:26 PM

Feb 2021
This looks the least Shaft-looking anime produced by Shaft I've ever seen. The color isn't vibrant, it looks dull but I don't hate it. Some frames in this episode look questionable especially when it's a non fighting scene. I feel quality control is necessary. That fight with scorpion Grim could use more frames but Ruby finishing off the bird Grim looks sick.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jun 25, 2022 10:42 PM
Feb 2016
Swizze said:
Interesting to see a new character introduced already, I guess the show will be slightly different as it goes on. As an OG fan, its exciting to see how much original content will be used and what new exciting stuff could happen.

I'm a little disappointed in the fight scene with the bird though. It was so well done in the original and was leagues above this one IMO. Juane also seems a little too confident for his character already as well..

My personal hope is that from here on out they won't have to do a worse version of any Monty fights and instead create their own action sequences, since Episode 3 made a major deviation at the end. As much as people here like to harp on 3D CGI animation, it allows for more thorough movement of the camera around scenes to make action choreography more exciting. That's difficult to accomplish in 2D; even ufotable tends to create large 3D camera spaces to move its characters around in.
Jun 26, 2022 12:05 AM

Feb 2018
Haven't seen the original show, but this one was boring af. Dropped
Jun 27, 2022 1:39 AM

Feb 2019
The physics on Gambol Shroud are just stupid this time around. It just writhes around in whatever direction it wishes, turning around a dozen times in a single throw.

And they couldn't resist the silhouettes, or the stupid "I love books" line. So much for the pilot seeming to try and improve the show. At least cutting straight from the airship to the forest helped, though I don't know why they didn't save even more time and just dump them from above.

The new character's design and introduction were dull.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jun 28, 2022 11:13 PM

Jan 2021
The fight scenes are like eye-candy and I love it. The first episode's was great, and this one was even better with the fights against the GRIMM. I don't know what it was like in the original, but it's pretty smart to run the fights like they did here and basically just keep switching back and forth between the two. It saves time.

Jul 3, 2022 7:56 AM

Oct 2017
The visuals, artstyle, background quality downgraded quite a bit but the final action scene was pretty lit.

The girls meeting for the first time went as wrong as it could but they fought together and now understand each other, I think they do atleast. So that's where RWBY comes from, team RWBY leader Ruby. Looking forward to seeing them as a team.
Jul 10, 2022 11:10 AM
Aug 2021
I had a feeling the premiere was a less amusing version than the official.

The official release showed better art than the premiere version (at least, some parts are). Animation is still the same for the most part. Wish it was less stiff.
Jul 10, 2022 11:50 AM

Jan 2008
I'd say there's already a pretty notable dip in the quality in this episode from the previous. A lot of the time, the show just looks as if drawn on MS Paint and filled with the bucket tool. The scene with Ruby taking out the bird was good but it's almost as the majority of the effort goes into one shot and the rest of the episode is half baked. The opening just being slides of scenes from various episodes was honestly quite disappointing. Makes me worried about the visual quality for future episodes.
Jul 10, 2022 12:15 PM
Aug 2021
What was the need of this episode? Juat for a recap?
Jul 11, 2022 12:21 AM
Aug 2021
yeah.

(Sighs) This level of quality is discouraging but encouraging for people to drop the series earlier before the actual show starts.
Jul 11, 2022 5:04 AM
Feb 2022
I liked it because the episode shows Ruby and Yang going to make friends but they end up coming across arrogant people but when they pass the test they form a team with two girls one of them is a mistake
Jul 12, 2022 7:24 AM
Dec 2019
If I evaluate the episode as an independent production that only shares the name with the manga, then it's a good shonen.

If I evaluate it as an adaptation then it's garbage.
Jul 18, 2022 11:55 PM

May 2020
There's no point in comparing this with the OG anymore, as it feels like they're going on a whole different route of their own from here on.
Jul 26, 2022 6:33 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Hey, that’s a really nice ED theme song right there! I didn’t think Hayami Saori-san could sing like this, lol.

RWBY, with the letters representing the first name of the squad members, makes a lot of sense. I was wondering where they pulled the title out of xD. Seeing the team in action there towards the end of the episode plus Shaft's step-up was incredible, looking forward to more scenes like this!

Couldn't help but snort a little seeing how the first contestant was thrown into the site with a catapult-like mechanism at the start of the test. I feel bad for him, he probably expected a far easier and safer method, I'm sure.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 4, 2022 10:25 PM

Aug 2011
Aug 9, 2022 3:19 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I really like this kind of training/test, the fight scenes were looking lit, also this is why it's named RWBY it's the first letter of each member of the team's name
Aug 9, 2022 7:15 PM
Jan 2020
Another good episode, nice follow up from the 1st episode. Again am excited for this franchise an looking forward to whats next!
Oct 3, 2022 12:53 AM

Feb 2021
Wow, really love the animation for real. But the ED animation is not really good in my opinion. It's too simple :(
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 3, 2022 4:48 AM

Oct 2019
it didn't use the red like rosses OST when killing the giant grim bird (fine ill play it myself) worst adaptation ever original RWBY is way better
Oct 30, 2022 12:51 AM

Apr 2019
And so, the team RWBY is formed, very great episode, Jaune Arc definitely is suited to be the leader with what he has demonstrated during their fight with the scorpion, Ruby Rose ganbare
JorovieOct 30, 2022 12:58 AM
Feb 22, 2023 1:37 AM

Feb 2022
Team RWBY FTW YAYYYYYYY!

More topics from this board

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24, 2022

51 by Pingl0sek »»
Nov 26, 2023 12:00 PM

» Which will happen first

Tank895 - Aug 26, 2023

14 by PinkRawChicken »»
Aug 30, 2023 9:43 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24, 2022

104 by MABEL_APPLE »»
Mar 14, 2023 7:29 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 21, 2022

40 by kitsune0 »»
Feb 25, 2023 12:22 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Sep 18, 2022

81 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Feb 24, 2023 6:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.