Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 22, 2019 7:13 PM

May 2014
We should realize by now that we need to look at the anime and manga differently, apparently, like it's been told by Oda himself. As we get to see the K.O was really paced out through two ep. So trying to complain or find any reason for Toei doing this, I has given up on that.

Instead I try to find the qualities in this ep. I got to say I am very happy that they used some of the good action OSTs which was used on the Katakuri fight in previous arc. Cool to see both some of techniques and OSTs. Although I doubt this is the transformation shown in the OP,
, seeing Luffy being red like fire was awesome. This is something new and very cool. His rage is visualized though the animation, which is a cool trait. Something that may not been used before. Ofc. the highlight was Kaido K.O. Luffy with one hit of his club. By doing this they somehow respected Kaido's strength. Not by him being affected by Luffy's attacks, but by knocking Luffy out with only hit. It may be true this is also done the same way in the manga, but they could surely do it differently and screw this up. I also liked the aura around Kaido and his club. If nothing else, the animation was special and good.

Next time Luffy is imprisoned and bandaged like a mummy. This is going to be fun to watch.
mangalicker94Dec 22, 2019 7:33 PM
Dec 22, 2019 7:32 PM

Mar 2015
Luffy's beatdown on Kaido was pretty awesome!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 22, 2019 7:36 PM

May 2014
Ant161718 said:
FMmatron said:

You are allowed to disagree with me. But for the next time, I recommend you to pick some arguments that give at least the impression that you put some thought into them.
The argument is simple, perhaps what happens is that you did not understand it at all.
Actually, it is not necessary to put so much effort into thinking or understanding.
If you just want to see exactly the manga content portrayed in the anime, you better give it up, because it's something that will never happen.
If you prefer things to be 100% faithful, it is better that you just follow the manga.

If you are so interesting in seeing the anime faithful to the manga there is a group that are editing the anime so it's faithfully according the manga. You find some arcs on onepace.net. You should check it out. They release ep. from Wano too, but it takes time. Give them 6-7 years and most of the arcs will be out faithfully to the manga. ;)
Dec 22, 2019 7:39 PM

May 2014
Pakumen- said:
Mazetriple100 said:

Luffy started weak , Stayed Weak not much of progress on Oda's part he's milking the series just to prolong it for Money. Nothing more. Exclude all those filler characters , Yes I'm talking about Wano Pirates characters , Wano could be finished in less than 30 chapters The Entire 2 Years of Training has been BS and non existent and a joke.

If you thought that Luffy was going to be an overpowered machine just by learning the basics of Haki, then you don´t understand the progression system of One Piece. Luffy is barely above a Shichibukai level, since he have struggle against every single Yonko Commander he have fight so far.

This is not Fairy Tail, here you don´t move from 10 to 100 in a year or something, and if that was the case, it will contradict the entire plot. Do you know that Roger started like a young adult and became the pirate came being a 30 - 40 years old dude right? Because it wouldn´t make any sense in any other way.

Hell, even Naruto and Bleach respected their own power system the first time they tried the timeskip technique. But then you see bullshit like Naruto having 3 different modes in one day, who made them go from Jonin to the strongest dude ever. If you want that in One Piece, please stop.

----------------------------------------------------------

The red aura thing "kinda" exists in the manga, I guess they are just giving the viewer a few clues so the manga readers can tell as well. But I am pretty sure that´s how Luffy is going to look at the end of the Wano arc.

I totally agree with you pal. I don't want this to be turned into a Naruto or FT. Especially FT. Damn, in that series power levels are truly BS.
Dec 22, 2019 7:46 PM

May 2014
TheTexhnolyzed said:
Is the red aura around Luffy haki?

Otherwise, solid episode.

Most probably not. It's just to show luffy's flame of rage. I agree it may be cool, but it was used on the wrong place. It should have been something similar to the one we saw in the OP. For those who skip the openings I won't go further in details. :)
Dec 22, 2019 8:38 PM

Oct 2017
link9us said:
Ant161718 said:
I just still not undertand what all the people is so dissapointed about the great production job it's producers been making with this arc and specially action parts.
I read the manga too and I know perfectly how things are different between manga and anime.
Anime must to be entertaining and made public feel hyped, if people no undertand this big diferences, better not see the anime instead always trow shit. OP it's not gonna stay forever, the end is close.

Can't everyone just not to be so fucking perfectionists and pickies all the time?

Because it's so annoying, in my opinion, it is better for you not to bother to see something that you dislike and criticize at every opportunity.

There is nothing wrong with the scale of budget being used in this arc, obviously its evident to everyone that one piece has never looked so amazing but the issue that alot of people have concerns about even my self is this new director is taking to many liberties upon changing the portrayal of how certain scenes play out. Which can potentially cause a different perspective of the story and may even cause contradictions in the plot it self. Previous directors never did this and even though the budget was not as good, and the pacing was pretty bad, the presence of the story was still every bit fully adapted from the mind of ODA. Nothing was changed, like in the case of the reverie which was pretty bad how they changed the way sabo first appeared, the impact wasn't as strong thus lessening the quality of the way oda structures and dictates his story.

Lets get something straight right now, the studio are not the writers, they are to adapt the material, oda is the writer and it should remain like so. I just hope the director doesn't get a little out of hand with this in the future chapters and changes how things are supposed to be conveyed in the story.

Just to give you a hypothetical, this fight is not even the real fight against kaido with such stakes risen so high in this one battle where luffy was able still go head to head against kaido and not be completely obliterated, how is this going to change events that will transpire in the future when oda reveals the true war and battle. People may think "but didn't luffy go head to head against this monster by him self and he even has a larger boost in power and now he suddenly has to have every ones help to take this guy down" the rules don't track but its all because the writer of the anime changed the earlier events of the story and luffy was conveyed like some sort of power house super saiyan that was able to withstand kaido's attack by him self, despite that now we are dealing with a full scale war with 50,000 subordinates.

Though to mention something positive, i really really loved the Final Fantasy like Orchestrated music they used in this episode. I really hope the studio continues to use music like this during some of these more intense epic moments. I can picture that song playing when the island of raftel lifts from bottom of the sea.
Well, I understand what you're aiming at. And I know what you mean.
Being a follower of both anime and manga, I always argued that it was a positive thing that the producers lengthened things a bit in animation to give more excitement to the story since many people just follow the anime and you can enjoy it.
I differ in that these chapters have left the impression in the public that Luffy is able to face Kaido, everyone knows that Kaido was drunk and it can be seen that he was simply receiving blows from Luffy as a punching bag. Actually, he wakes up at the end of the episode and in a single blow leaves him unconscious. With this in my opinion it is very clear, that all the previous fuss was meaningless and that his forces are hugely different.
I believe that although these chapters have had a slow development, they have clearly shown these circumstances.

I agree with you about the OST.
The point here was that I really enjoyed the incredible animation and effort that they were putting into these last two episodes, so I could not bear that they were all only negative reviews about that work.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Dec 22, 2019 9:34 PM
Dec 2010
Pakumen- said:

I just have one question. Were you actually expecting Luffy to fight toe to toe against Kaido?
Luffy have been barely handling his own fights since Cracker, and even on that one he neede Nami to win. He barely won against Katakuri and couldn't do shit to Big Mom. Why would be different now? It would have made 0 sense.

I have absolutely no problem with a main character losing. Luffy honestly loses more big fights than he wins and when he does pull through it is always an ugly victory. Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, MHA, and any good sports anime has the MC(s) losing on multiple occasions. The key is how the loss unfolds and the meaning of it.

Luffy losing to Kaido wasn't my issue with the fight. It was the build up that just felt so misleading and boring. These losses at this point are very predictable because every 80-100 episodes there is a major defeat, except no one important dies in the process. It's like clockwork.

One Piece absolutely fails with regards to showing the differences in power. Someone shows up that just OBLITERATES Luffy and/or the entirety of the Straw Hats (Kuma, Big Mom, Kaido, Magellan, Enel, Akainu, Crocodile, etc.) and just erases all of the power progression. The fights are absolute stomps and makes the MC's seem useless.

So I guess my answer is no, I didn't expect a real fight. Since the formula of the show is for Luffy to pick a fight before he is ready, lose, train, and then bang his head against the brick wall that is the opponent until he sloppily wins.

It's just getting old and the differences in strength of these characters is impossible to comprehend, as every new villain is magnitudes more powerful than the last.
Dec 22, 2019 10:33 PM

Aug 2015
F8L-Fool said:

One Piece absolutely fails with regards to showing the differences in power. Someone shows up that just OBLITERATES Luffy and/or the entirety of the Straw Hats (Kuma, Big Mom, Kaido, Magellan, Enel, Akainu, Crocodile, etc.) and just erases all of the power progression. The fights are absolute stomps and makes the MC's seem useless.

It's just getting old and the differences in strength of these characters is impossible to comprehend, as every new villain is magnitudes more powerful than the last.

I mean, One Piece is not necessarily about the fights, however, they are usually well made. My only problem in terms of power levels was when The Monster Trio fought against the CP9 in Water 7, then 4 hours later they won against them. That made no sense.

I see the difference in strength crystal clear honestly, since they have been established years ago. Yonkos are the big fish of the sea, the emperors within a world without rules.
Why would a kid that barely won against one of the Emperor's kids will do any damage to them? Even with all the training that Luffy will do (because he will) he is still not ready for the stakes he himself is putting his crew into.

Zoro said it twice after they went to the New World (Punk Hazard and Zou): They are not playing around, they are making beef with the biggest forces of the Pirates, and they should be aware of that. The only one that apparently is aware of that is himself, since he is the only one capable of fight against the big boys nowadays. Luffy always learns the hardest way, and that defeat was just a lesson about being less care free and more aware of his surroundings, even if that contradicts his own persona.

The fact that Oda makes his MC hopeless is way more bold than any other shonen when the character just screams, stands up and win against the odds because he is determined. Even Teach said that Luffy was not ready yet (well we can go back and say that the Three Admirals also told him the same, he needs to stop and think sometimes).

TL:DR Kaido vibe checked Luffy because he needed to learn that you don't mess with Yonkos, and he failed miserably.

---------------------------------------

Just a personal take: I will absolutely lose my hopes in One Piece if after the timeskip Luffy was magically able to defeat Yonkos and destroy the admirals.
Dec 22, 2019 10:51 PM
Oct 2019
Zeusico said:
If it's 1 on 1, bet on Kaido. Luffy got baby shaked, he must have thought he was in the Fairy Tail verse.

Welp, Luffy is dead, wonder who the new MC will be.

Fairy Tail , and One Piece is different, different genre, tone.

If you really want to compare them
in the Enies Lobby's battle Luffy got right back up via a Nakama speech from Usopp to continue fighting Rob Lucci

Here in this battle Luffy was only able to strike Kaido down in the previous ep because he had his friends on his mind (Meaning via Nakama ) and in this very Episode you can see he still had Nakama on his mind.

It's Shounen 101.

One Piece does it. Naruto does it.
Thinking of Fairy Tail the only one that does it is completely wrong.
Fairy Tail for example has it's reason for doing it cuz ever since Episode 1 it's genre is Friendship , That series has every right to use it.
Although I understand sometimes it overdoes it example Alvarez Empire arc.
Mazetriple100Dec 22, 2019 11:00 PM
Dec 23, 2019 12:09 AM
Jul 2018
F8L-Fool said:
All that build up just to get dropped by a SINGLE attack. 915 episodes of power progression and training culminates in this. Really?

That's 0-2 against Emperor's of the Sea. Not just losses, but total and complete domination without so much as putting a scratch on either Kaido or Big Mom. In back-to-back arcs no less.

I honestly don't even know what to expect from this show anymore. Virtually everything after the Summit War has been a pretty big letdown.

I recommend you to keep watching to be fair
This battle here was just part 1 I haven't watched this ep but I've read the manga up to Chapter 943 this fight here is not my favorite too ,
But it gets much better.
removed-userDec 23, 2019 12:15 AM
Dec 23, 2019 12:34 AM

Jul 2007
Mazetriple100 said:
Zeusico said:
If it's 1 on 1, bet on Kaido. Luffy got baby shaked, he must have thought he was in the Fairy Tail verse.

Welp, Luffy is dead, wonder who the new MC will be.

Fairy Tail , and One Piece is different, different genre, tone.

If you really want to compare them
in the Enies Lobby's battle Luffy got right back up via a Nakama speech from Usopp to continue fighting Rob Lucci

Here in this battle Luffy was only able to strike Kaido down in the previous ep because he had his friends on his mind (Meaning via Nakama ) and in this very Episode you can see he still had Nakama on his mind.

It's Shounen 101.

One Piece does it. Naruto does it.
Thinking of Fairy Tail the only one that does it is completely wrong.
Fairy Tail for example has it's reason for doing it cuz ever since Episode 1 it's genre is Friendship , That series has every right to use it.
Although I understand sometimes it overdoes it example Alvarez Empire arc.

Oh, please do not get into the differences between fairy tail and other shonen. Fairy tale has a WHOLLLEEEEE lot more wrong with it then just simply a power scaling and power of friendship. I am amazed fans still try and compare the quality of writing from FT to one piece because they have a similar style maybe in aesthetics but certainly not in the quality of writing or execution of the story. They are on a whole different tear. I am sorry but it’s the truth. Fairy tail had potential but hiro mashima flushed it all down the drain in the 2nd half of the story when he started creating contradictions to his own narrative, loads of plot holes, written off characters in the most ridiculous ways possible and created so many logic bumps with the mechanics of the shonen fights, that it was enough to make your head spin. I can go on and on, not to mention the story itself isn't even that interesting, after natsu found his goal of igneel, i think hiro didn't know where to take the plot from there. There is a less of a threat level or presence and many fights are one sided and i didn't even touch base on the horrific final arc. I'll just leave it that for now, but yeah fairy tail? one piece, i mean come on now.

One piece has its flaws for sure but doesn't every shonen series follow similar tropes. I guess this is a primary reason why im not a HUGE fan of shonen, but OP has surprised me in ways that other shonen have not. I have faith that the ending of this story will actually be great, and all the gears will eventually move, and everything will come together because oda has confidence in his own work and he wants to see it through to the end. He also wants more than anything to show his readers the ending of his story and the constant deep foreshadowing and subtle symbolism and imagery we seen throughout this series gives me hope that he knows whats going on. Whereas other mangaka kind of loss of interest. Kishimoto himself even indicated that regrets the way naruto ended and hiro mashima said that he didn’t even know who the final freaken villain was going to be. There is honestly a worlds difference between the thought process of these mangaka's. Its all in the way you are commited to your lifes work and wants to see your fans appeased and oda has that in spades.

The difference with one piece in my opinion is things are still consistent and is told accurately within the context of the story and in other shows like fairy or bleach, not so much.
ArtimesGamerDec 23, 2019 1:05 AM

Dec 23, 2019 12:50 AM
Dec 2010
AmeliaNeston2003 said:

This battle here was just part 1 there'll be progress I haven't watched this ep but I've read the manga up to Chapter 943 this fight here is not my favorite too ,
But it gets much better.

I'll watch until the series ends. I still really like Zoro, Sanji, and several other characters in the universe. I want to see the resolution of their stories far more than Luffy's. It just has become really old that every major Luffy fight is always two separate fights.

Fight One: Luffy gets his ass beat, badly
Fight Two: Luffy just barely wins

I don't need an OP MC by any means. But knowing that PRACTICALLY WITHOUT FAIL, Luffy is going to jump the gun and lose his first encounter vs. EVERY major character, is just anticlimactic and predictable.

People always want to counter this Luffy losing argument with, "It's boring knowing the MC is always going to win, which is why One Piece is better."

What makes this stance so crazy is that One Piece functions on the polar opposite end of the spectrum. Rather than expecting the MC to always win, we expect the MC to always lose. The only time he convincingly wins is against cannon fodder and filler minions.
Dec 23, 2019 12:58 AM

Jul 2007
F8L-Fool said:
AmeliaNeston2003 said:

This battle here was just part 1 there'll be progress I haven't watched this ep but I've read the manga up to Chapter 943 this fight here is not my favorite too ,
But it gets much better.

I'll watch until the series ends. I still really like Zoro, Sanji, and several other characters in the universe. I want to see the resolution of their stories far more than Luffy's. It just has become really old that every major Luffy fight is always two separate fights.

Fight One: Luffy gets his ass beat, badly
Fight Two: Luffy just barely wins

I don't need an OP MC by any means. But knowing that PRACTICALLY WITHOUT FAIL, Luffy is going to jump the gun and lose his first encounter vs. EVERY major character, is just anticlimactic and predictable.

People always want to counter this Luffy losing argument with, "It's boring knowing the MC is always going to win, which is why One Piece is better."

What makes this stance so crazy is that One Piece functions on the polar opposite end of the spectrum. Rather than expecting the MC to always win, we expect the MC to always lose. The only time he convincingly wins is against cannon fodder and filler minions.

Hmm that is not entirely true. In the first half of one piece, luffy won against pretty much every main villain or adversary he came across kind of like a generic villian per arc which is typical in most shonen. With the 2nd half of the story entering the new world is when things started to change and personally i like that sudden twist and the increase of the dominant threat level the new world possess is far more evident than the paradise first half of the grand line and oda i think is trying to make this clear and even in the story it is told that many enemies we will be far stronger and he will have to work much harder to overcome those obstacles. What i don't like though is that were already at almost 1000 chapters of one piece and it still feels like luffy is to far away from the status of pirate king, yet oda says one piece will end in 5 years. So i am very intrigued and curious how oda will close up the gap and i would be lying if i said i don't have any concerns that some sudden out of the blue ass pulls may result in luffy becoming much stronger. I really hope not though. But i do kind of get what your saying given the length of this series.

Dec 23, 2019 1:27 AM
Dec 2010
link9us said:
Hmm that is not entirely true. In the first half of one piece, luffy won against pretty much every main villain or adversary he came across kind of like a generic villian per arc which is typical in most shonen. With the 2nd half of the story entering the new world is when things started to change and personally i like that sudden twist and the increase of the dominant threat level the new world possess is far more evident than the paradise first half of the grand line and oda i think is trying to make this clear and even in the story it is told that many enemies we will be far stronger and he will have to work much harder to overcome those obstacles.

Except Luffy loses to Smoker within the first 50 episodes and arguably Buggy as well. Then Luffy proceeds to lose on two separate occasions to Crocodile 60 episodes later. That's three losses well before reaching the new world.

From there he goes on a nice winning streak, only to be stomped into the ground by Aokiji and then CP9 immediately thereafter. That brings his losses to 5 and that's only the halfway mark through the first half lol. The losses weren't just minor either. He essentially almost dies time and time again.

In the last 700 episodes, what noteworthy character has Luffy met and beaten on his first attempt? I can't think of anyone big. I wanted to say Katakuri, but he was losing so badly he had to run away on two occasions and reset the fight. It's basically three fights in one.
Dec 23, 2019 2:52 PM

Jul 2015
Kaido would be an excellent MLB player

The man grand slammed Luffy to the next dimension
Dec 23, 2019 5:24 PM

May 2014
Seriously this episode was fucking... watched it three in the row and damn, beautiful just beautiful

Not gonna lie, this hit even harder than episode 485

Jack was like - fuck I don't have beer and popcorn to enjoy in Kaido magnificence

That Law face just says it all... hopefully he manage to escape, I wonder what his next move will be
Dec 23, 2019 6:44 PM

Feb 2015
I’m not understanding something, Law and Hawkins were surprise by the fact that Luffy has the guts to face Kaido, no? because they already knew the difference in levels. Luffy’s decisions are a bit unreasonables sometimes, I know he thinks that his comrades disappeared, but he went full kamikaze against Kaido, at least for me (who knows straw hat pirates cannot die that way) it looked like an excuse to get Luffy caught.

I'm sick of manga comparisions, I don't read the manga and liked the episode.
Dec 23, 2019 10:56 PM

Jul 2013
Again an crazy episode. I knew that Kaido was drunk but holy shit this man couldn't even stand straight. It looked like he wasn't even aware of the situation. And even in such an state Luffys full out raging blows did absolute nothing. I can't imagine a better showing of how overpowered Kaido as a fighter really is. This + the fact that he absolutely destroyed Luffy with a single hit is just mind blowing.

I have to say. I loved Laws and Hawkins shocked faces during this episode. :D

It's a good time for a defeat. Like way back at marineford Luffy became more and more confident in himself. So confident that he was even certain about being able to beat every Yonko. This defeat by Kaido just showed him that's he's still weak and has long way to go. It was definitely important and I'm sure Luffy will get stronger because of it.

The only problem or what I don't know, what will happen to him now? Is he about to get imprisoned or will Law rescue him in the last second? (haven't seen the preview for the next episode)

Animation was beautiful. The visuals like showing Luffys rage in a red aura fit so well. Also the OST's which played during the fight or when he transformed into Gear 4 couldn't have been better.

PS: This was the first time I saw sea stone nails and also interesting to know that everything made of seas stone comes from Wano. Either I can't remember hearing that before or I maybe missed it.

Dec 24, 2019 4:07 AM

Apr 2013
At least they portrayed how much stronger Kaido is in the very last scene, but all that beating before was pretty unnecessary and just stretched things out. Power scaling is quite weird though, Luffy managed to barely beat an admiral level fighter, but gets oneshot by a Yonko. Makes me wonder how Marineford would've happened if Kaido actually arrived there. Dead Akainu? lol
Dec 24, 2019 5:18 PM

Nov 2018
Why does luffy has a dbz aura. What is that even trying to show?

Dec 24, 2019 10:39 PM

Jul 2007
Gator said:
At least they portrayed how much stronger Kaido is in the very last scene, but all that beating before was pretty unnecessary and just stretched things out. Power scaling is quite weird though, Luffy managed to barely beat an admiral level fighter, but gets oneshot by a Yonko. Makes me wonder how Marineford would've happened if Kaido actually arrived there. Dead Akainu? lol

Beat an admiral, since when? Luffy has never defeated an admiral yet. Unless your taking about like some of the leading commanders of big mom, bot those guys are hardly as strong as the marine admirals.

Dec 24, 2019 10:43 PM

Jul 2007
BenRyan said:

Personally i think its something we have not seen in the manga yet and its foreshadowing and hinted early on in the anime series, at least that is what some theorist claim since oda is more of a collaborator to the anime studio and the staff then he has been previously. Oda may have dropped a few hints towards the studio about certain things.

Dec 25, 2019 5:18 AM

Nov 2016
Gator said:

Come on dude, Yonko commanders are not admiral level and imo that was quite apparent. I mean, all Marco, Jozu and Vista did was block some half hearted attacks and land some surprise hits with very little effect.

The admirals were more or less still in top shape after the war had ended. Akainu took two all out blows from an admittedly dying White Beard, but he was still able to fight almost all Whitebeard Commanders afterwards + Croco. The craziest part about it, he was even pushing them to say the least, see panel where he wrecked Curiel. Akainu took 10 days to beat Aokiji which means they're pretty much equally strong.
I don't think they could beat a Yonko (except Black Beard) but I'm sure they would give them a run for their money, maybe they could even win on a good day or during the right circumstances.

Punch line: Don't sleep on the admirals.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 25, 2019 11:36 AM

Apr 2013
I don't think I wanna get into an argument with hardcore One Piece fans about admirals vs first commanders, that topic is way too sensitive xD
Dec 26, 2019 12:30 PM

Jan 2015
Damn! Luffy got one shoted. I wonder how Kaido is going to be beaten in the end.
Dec 27, 2019 12:40 AM

Nov 2019
---------------------------

:(
Dec 30, 2019 1:34 AM

Jul 2013
Probably shouldn't have said that he's going to be the king of the pirates to Kaido, whom I think wants the position the most compared to the other yonkos. One full blown attack and he's out.
Dec 30, 2019 12:23 PM

Feb 2014
You can just straight jump and skip from the beginning of the episode to the moment he gets KO'd and it will be a more faithful adaptation.
I dare you to check my PTW list.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Jan 5, 2020 12:34 AM

Dec 2013
Luffy repeatedly hitting Kaido with no effect got pretty boring towards the end.

Kaido's attack was still really badass tho.
Jan 18, 2020 3:15 PM

Feb 2013
So that's the difference, too big.
Jan 30, 2020 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
Luffy got throttled, toppled on, Bellamy'ed, annihilated, and one-shotted by Kaido. I saw that coming from a mile away. Luffy here was being arrogant. He thought defeating an emperor, Kaido of all people is a simple walk in the park. He tried his best, Luffy pulled out all the stops. But in the end, his attacks barely tickled Kaido. The only reason Kaido didn't dodge Luffy's attacks head-on was, I would assume, because of his drunken state. At the very least, Luffy managed to get him out of his stupor, a shallow accomplishment but an accomplishment nonetheless, and deliver that ferocious home run. No haki, no nothing. Just a bat with spikes alongside a flavor of lightning. He showed Luffy wassup, why he was called an emperor and the strongest creature in the world. Honestly, in Kaido's perspective, Luffy was being disrespectful charging at him like that as if he is a weak enemy that's easily squashed.

Just train Luffy. Maybe Gear 5? You have 2 weeks. Make the most out of it. Or at least try to if you get the chance seeing how you're being sent off to prison... Again.
Mar 29, 2020 8:47 AM
Jun 2015
Weird how Kaido got his ass handed to him in his Dragon form but beat the crap out of Luffy in his normal form.
Mar 31, 2020 10:20 AM

Jan 2013
Gator said:
At least they portrayed how much stronger Kaido is in the very last scene, but all that beating before was pretty unnecessary and just stretched things out.

To me it was clear from the moment he started engaging Kaido he wasn't going to put a scratch on him.
Every single time he kept hitting him, not a single wound, not a single drop of blood ... nothing.
Kaido just kept standing up, taking Luffy's punches

Now it really shows the power of a "Yonko" ... Emperor of the Sea, it wasn't as clear when he was fighting Big Mom.
Now I also understand the reactions we got from people seeing Luffy being crowned the "Fifth Emperor of the Sea" ... clearly he's not even close to being considered one.

I honestly have no idea where this series is heading towards now, another timeskip? - Eventually finding his crew and beating Kaido together as a team?
Hell ... is the plan they discussed even still on?
Apr 23, 2020 3:07 PM

Mar 2010
Ooof Luffy has bit more than he could chew. I wouldn't be surprised if he dies. His luck has run out. Though once Kaido reverted back all that scattered energy must have collected in one fine area.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 25, 2020 2:52 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, that's the difference between Luffy and a true Yonko level. I imagine the same thing would have happened had he fought with Charlotte Linlin too, but that's for some other time I suppose.

Got to say, this fight though was kind of tacky imo. Red miasma radiating from him was an interesting visual effect though, I must say. Surprised that Kaido's stronger form is in his normal mode rather than the transformation, or was it because he was just drunk giving Luffy the chance to utilise with that rampage?

Luffy'll be back to prison again it seems. Poor Law, plans and Luffy just don't go hand-in-hand...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 3, 2020 5:40 PM
May 2020
I read the comment section on Crunchyroll and I listened to a review of the manga chapter before I watched this, but I didn't think it was that bad. Just because they extended the fight, it didn't totally ruin the point of Luffy not being able to hold a candle to Kaido in strength. Sure, Luffy probably hit him more in the anime than the manga, but did he succeed in putting any damage on Kaido? No, no he did not. Kaido hits Luffy one time and Luffy is out, I say that is mission accomplished for Toei Animation. Also, the scene with Hawkins versus Law was pretty good.
Aug 28, 2020 1:30 PM
Dec 2014
I hope that Luffy don't win against Kaido because I find it illogical that Kaido lose before Big Mom against Luffy.Kaido look a lot stronger.I think Big Mom should lose first then Black Beard then Kaido then Shanks.
Sep 3, 2020 12:13 AM

Jun 2016
For a drunken Kaido to unflinchingly stare into Luffy's strongest moves, often without trying to move a finger, left a strong impression. All I could think was that he was trying to vet out Luffy. As in, he wanted to see what this kid could do, or perhaps as he has stated he wants to die, he was seeing if this kid was capable of killing him. I am unsure if this reading is actually strong but it's all I could think of while seeing his frightening presence. Every single hit Luffy landed only made everything feel all the more miserable and futile.

The thing is, the music didn't seem to agree. Everybody knew that as soon as Luffy was done, Kaido was going to crush him. I swear everyone knew this going into the episode, we can see this meta-contextually, contextually in the narrative, and through the freaking episode title. All of this went to say, I would have preferred a more frightening or ominous track, but I could see the argument that the music was sporting Luffy determination. Regardless, that disconnect between what we all knew was going to happen and the tone of the episode made me cringe a little, it wasn't a good effect for me.
Sep 20, 2020 3:34 AM

Mar 2020
Damn dude, Luffy went mad mode and still couldn't beat a drunk Kaido.... that was intense... That remark at the ending though... "What kind of king did you say you'd be?" You little punk!"
Jan 25, 2021 5:49 AM

Mar 2016
Ah, I see what all the fuss is about, I can see it clear as day how the anime portrays that Luffy is able to do somewhat a little damage to Kaido while I know for sure that all Luffy was doing in the manga is just tickling Kaido before being one-shotted into fucking oblivion. Still, though I can't fault the anime trying to fill out the 2 minutes ep, ofc they want to show Luffy giving it all facing off Kaido, but alas, that's not the reality as it was in the manga. Despite that though I can't really complain, such a hype like action and goose-bump inducing OST. This ep is amazing!

Kaido's Raimei Hakke and his 1 liner to Luffy after the fight was completely badass! A shame that their true difference in power is not completely pronounced in the anime.

If I were to complain about something is the anime's overly used aura blast/layer. What the fuck is that besides a cheesy visual effect to make Luffy's rage look 'cooler'. If an anime-only took it seriously, they would mistake these visual effects as something like Luffy unconsciously covering himself with advanced-busoshoku Haki or maybe Luffy's haoshoku haki becoming Luffy's embodiment of rage and then shrouding him with itself. It's cool alright, but it's just an aspect of confusion and cheap aesthetics. Just wait until he actually can do something like that in some years.
Feb 2, 2021 8:41 AM

Oct 2009
Wasn't the very nature of Gear Fourth's Boundman that Luffy couldn't stand still even for a moment? How in the hell was he able to do so, then?

FreshIngredient said:
Luffy's rage aura thing felt out of place and tacky.

xShaunShine said:
Not a big fan of the whole "aura" thing

ChMel said:
Can somebody please inform TOEI that with their useless - non existent aura shit, they are just destroying the show?
If I wanted to watch Dragonball, I WOULD WATCH DRAGONBALL.
All these years following both the anime and the manga, I've learned to live with extended fights, added content of little significance, etc (which are needed for obvious reasons).
BUT, suddenly, for the last 2 episodes, I find myself watching something that is NOT One Piece (due to the special effects during battle - I will not even mention the whole Luffy vs Kaido battle deviance from the manga - WHICH IS THE ACTUAL SCENARIO).

mangalicker94 said:
TheTexhnolyzed said:
Is the red aura around Luffy haki?

Most probably not. It's just to show luffy's flame of rage. I agree it may be cool, but it was used on the wrong place. It should have been something similar to the one we saw in the OP. For those who skip the openings I won't go further in details. :)

BenRyan said:

ShadowkillZ_ said:
If I were to complain about something is the anime's overly used aura blast/layer. What the fuck is that besides a cheesy visual effect to make Luffy's rage look 'cooler'. If an anime-only took it seriously, they would mistake these visual effects as something like Luffy unconsciously covering himself with advanced-busoshoku Haki or maybe Luffy's haoshoku haki becoming Luffy's embodiment of rage and then shrouding him with itself. It's cool alright, but it's just an aspect of confusion and cheap aesthetics. Just wait until he actually can do something like that in some years.

Agreed
SerhiykoFeb 6, 2021 4:28 PM
Mar 25, 2021 7:58 AM

Dec 2018
I'm going to go against the grain and say this and 914 were great episodes that got me all hyped up tbf ^^
And Kaido literally one-shotted Luffy :0!!
ClannadstanMar 25, 2021 8:03 AM
Mar 25, 2021 8:05 AM

Dec 2018
Ant161718 said:
FMmatron said:
Aside from the fact that the toughness of Kaidos skin wasn't highlighted this episode also undermined Kaido's speed.

Clean and simple, like a true boss.

Sir, I have to certainly disagree with you.
The anime is not the same as the manga.
The way in that Oda developes story on a few pages and panels is fastest than some others shonen manga's. You should know that.

The animation it's so much interesting and with so much action.
If you just want to see the stuff same as manga, better just read the manga and don't see the anime instead of trow shit on every episode did with a so damn good animation as this. Because this quality show it doen't deserve it.

Sorry for the big off-topic, but which anime is your gif profile pic from @Ant161718 ^^?
Mar 26, 2021 4:38 PM

Oct 2017
justasadguy said:
Ant161718 said:

Sir, I have to certainly disagree with you.
The anime is not the same as the manga.
The way in that Oda developes story on a few pages and panels is fastest than some others shonen manga's. You should know that.

The animation it's so much interesting and with so much action.
If you just want to see the stuff same as manga, better just read the manga and don't see the anime instead of trow shit on every episode did with a so damn good animation as this. Because this quality show it doen't deserve it.

Sorry for the big off-topic, but which anime is your gif profile pic from @Ant161718 ^^?

No problem, it's from Akatsuki no Yona, if you enjoy historical romance with some fantasy stuff I highly recommended it to you.
Also the manga is great!

-¡Give yourself to me!
Mar 27, 2021 6:47 AM

Dec 2018
Ant161718 said:
justasadguy said:

No problem, it's from Akatsuki no Yona, if you enjoy historical romance with some fantasy stuff I highly recommended it to you.
Also the manga is great!

Thank you so much ^_^!
Mar 27, 2021 2:07 PM

Oct 2017
justasadguy said:
Ant161718 said:

Also the manga is great!

Thank you so much ^_^!
It's nothing!! :D
-¡Give yourself to me!
Aug 10, 2021 10:21 AM
Nov 2019
Based on most comments.. What can possibly satisfy you guys!!!🌚 .. Stop comparing Manga shit to this masterpiece.. I'm not a big fan of comparisons since both introduce the hype in different way.. The manga is rushed which the anime in it's place try to fix it.. Best episode in 2019 ..
Sep 2, 2021 7:17 AM

Jun 2019
Luffy doing all that and it didn't even give him a scratch. What a beast.
Sep 2, 2021 7:38 AM
Apr 2020
Abdulaziz_Alwaha said:
Based on most comments.. What can possibly satisfy you guys!!!🌚 .. Stop comparing Manga shit to this masterpiece.. I'm not a big fan of comparisons since both introduce the hype in different way.. The manga is rushed which the anime in it's place try to fix it.. Best episode in 2019 ..
Agreed, manga readers exist only to ruin anime for anime watchers.
Sep 7, 2021 11:43 PM

Aug 2021
The last two eps were just Kaido getting beaten than being badass
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1089 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FMmatron - Jan 6

179 by Willex05 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 449 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - May 1, 2010

68 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 448 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Apr 24, 2010

79 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 447 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Apr 17, 2010

86 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

» Have you ever thought 🤔 about this , it's been on my mind for a long time

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 30

26 by ashutoshanime »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.