Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 16, 2017 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
My dad is a big Devilman fan so the fact that it's getting a new anime + Yuasa is directing this is pretty interesting. I like Yuasa and his directing style... but my dad doesn't have any clue about him. Depending how this goes my dad would like it or not. Not sure.
Mar 16, 2017 3:07 AM

Aug 2009
HamburgerSpike said:

I was kinda hoping someone who read it could tell me how the manga is :D

Go Nagai is one of Berserk's primary inspiration. The Devilman manga is classic. It really pushed boundaries as to what was acceptable and what wasn't. Miura is a fan.

It also served as an inspiration for Evangelion and Anno is a big fan of Devilman along with Mazinger (Another Nagai work, which will be receiving an anime move this year by Toei).

Also people should stop looking at scores especially when old properties like this is concerned. Devilman is nowhere near perfect, but when you consider that it was made in 1972, it's impressive. The only roadblocks I can see is that people might not like the old school art, but I personally enjoy it.

The Devilman tv series (Which is different from the manga) was also a hit back in the 70s achieving 15% ratings, but if you saw the score on MAL, you would think it's some forgotten anime that no one wanted. Very wrong.

My point is, just read, watch and judge for yourself. I don't know how many gems I would have missed if I solely looked at the score. I'm really enjoying Tiger Mask W this season even though I'm not into wrestling, but if I wouldn't have watched it if I took the score into consideration.

I also stopped using MAL for that very reason. I'd rather just stumble on random stuff and watch, without researching anything about it.
Mar 16, 2017 4:53 AM

Feb 2016
@DocJangarly @Rei366 @Cabron erm thanks, maybe it wasnt the best one but it was a joke since the score of Amon is 666 fitting his devilish nature :) I really dont care about MAL scores so no worry.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 16, 2017 5:16 AM

Jun 2015
This is great news.

Mar 16, 2017 5:30 AM
Jul 2018
Oh I thought it will be an original project by Yuusa, Okuchi-Yuusa combo and a new studio? interesting.
Mar 16, 2017 6:12 AM

Dec 2012
This is what Devilman needs; a new anime directed Yuasa that looks great.

Can this be the series big breakthrough in the west?
Mar 16, 2017 6:20 AM

Jul 2014
Didn't care for the 80s OVA but I'm rather looking forward to this nonetheless. Yuasa's da bomb.
Take care of yourself

Mar 16, 2017 6:33 AM

Jul 2007
Yuasa is GREAT however Geass and Kabaneri writer working on this is a giant red flag.
Mar 16, 2017 7:20 AM

Aug 2009
HamburgerSpike said:
@DocJangarly @Rei366 @Cabron erm thanks, maybe it wasnt the best one but it was a joke since the score of Amon is 666 fitting his devilish nature :) I really dont care about MAL scores so no worry.

No worries. I'm just saying this because I found out that tastes are very subjective, way more than I previously thought and vary hugely from person to person.

Amon is also partly based on the spinoff Amon: The Darkside of Devilman manga which wasn't by Go Nagai. AFAIK, Devilman is best experienced as a manga. The OVAs are just cherry on the top.

That said, the 70s tv series was manly as fuck. I mean, just watch this OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTVj-4uiOt4

Basically the main difference between this version and the manga is that here, our hero actually dies and the demon Amon takes over, and falls in love with a human girl, while in the manga, it's the other way round where our hero manages to conquer Amon's consciousness and gains his powers.
DocJangarlyMar 16, 2017 7:24 AM
Mar 16, 2017 7:37 AM

Jul 2008
A Yuasa-Nagai project? Sounds perfect.

Mar 16, 2017 8:07 AM

Sep 2013
I can already tell it's gonna be filled with tears and personal drama cause he killed people, crybaby indeed.
Mar 16, 2017 8:12 AM
Oct 2009
Fai said:
Yuasa is GREAT however Geass and Kabaneri writer working on this is a giant red flag.

He's done some good adaptation work (also, Geass is OK). Irrationally exaggerated hatred of Kabaneri around these parts aside, I like that one of the things people complained about when watching the anime is already included in the Devilman story towards the end (no spoilers though), so only an ignorant or a fool could ever blame the writer for it. When certain things happen, it'll all be Go Nagai.
Mar 16, 2017 8:53 AM

Nov 2012
Bleh, this looks like one of those old action school mangas that people liked for being edgy at the time but when you look at it from a modern eye it's not that well written.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Mar 16, 2017 9:00 AM
Jul 2018
SuperRed said:
Bleh, this looks like one of those old action school mangas that people liked for being edgy at the time but when you look at it from a modern eye it's not that well written.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As wrong as wrong could be
Mar 16, 2017 10:40 AM

Sep 2013
This is like a fucking dream! I hope this adapts the manga to the end.
Mar 16, 2017 10:48 AM

Jun 2009
Can't wait. Some changes to make it a bit modern will be fine like they did with Parasyte, but still good and adapts the whole story.

SkyDrop said:
Hmm, spring 2018? No way I will remember this for long time! I wished it could come this year.. **sigh**

anyway from the look of pv, it looks like we will be expecting 3d cgi animation..

btw who planning to watch 1970s devilman? well rating seems low for this series but i hope they will devise carefully and show us that devil man is really devilish.

Anyway I will be looking forward to this

70's anime TV series is different from the manga, but it is still fun to watch. If you like stuff like Ultraman, Godzilla or cheesy B movies, give the TV series a watch. However the manga is fantastic.
Mar 16, 2017 12:05 PM

Mar 2009
Yuasa....
Insta-drop and 1/10.

Why the fuck did they give a classic anime like Devilman to this idiot, is beyond me.
That's like asking Fellini to direct Terminator. Give me a break...
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Mar 16, 2017 12:40 PM

Aug 2009
SuperRed said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Very wrong. It's not a school manga and some violence doesn't make a manga "edgy". That's just ignorance speaking.
Mar 16, 2017 12:44 PM

Nov 2012
DocJangarly said:
SuperRed said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Very wrong. It's not a school manga and some violence doesn't make a manga "edgy". That's just ignorance speaking.

Woops I meant to write "old-school action manga".
Mar 16, 2017 12:46 PM

Jan 2013
SuperRed said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Have you actually read it?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 16, 2017 12:54 PM

Oct 2014
kodial said:
Yuasa....
Insta-drop and 1/10.

Why the fuck did they give a classic anime like Devilman to this idiot, is beyond me.
That's like asking Fellini to direct Terminator. Give me a break...

When a man with nothing on his drop list speaks such words, you just gotta stay away from a safe distance. Don't look at him and you will be just alright. The storm is gotta pass soon...
Mar 16, 2017 1:11 PM

Nov 2012
Cabron said:
SuperRed said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

No.

But maybe Yuasa will make something decent out of it.
Mar 16, 2017 2:26 PM

Jun 2009
SuperRed said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

People like it because it has a good story. The manga is a anti-war story with demons and handles its story very perfectly. It's classic just like how people still like Jojo and Parasyte today.
Mar 16, 2017 2:41 PM

Jan 2013
SuperRed said:
Cabron said:

No.

Read it then.
Don't judge a book by its cover.

Mar 16, 2017 2:58 PM

Nov 2012
This is going to be fucking awesome
Mar 16, 2017 3:27 PM

Feb 2015
The style looks too cartoonish for my taste.
Still hoping for the best.
Mar 16, 2017 5:42 PM
Sep 2014
Pretty awesome news. Go Nagai's works and their anime adaptations have a nostalgic retro feel. Time to add the Devilman manga to my PTR.
Mar 16, 2017 10:21 PM

Sep 2010
It would be great if they adapt the sequels too (violence jack & devilman lady)
Mar 16, 2017 11:07 PM

Jul 2016
Never seen the original Devilman series but will have to now. Demon Lord Dante was one of the series that got me into anime though so this is gold
Mar 16, 2017 11:46 PM

Jan 2013
Yukiona45 said:
Good. But i can make it even better. Think i'm lying? Check now: http://bit.ly/2mPguMs
Shiiiet, I'm not clicking that.

Mar 17, 2017 2:27 AM

Oct 2013
So glad more n more old mangas are getting anime adaptions. I want to read em but old mangas from the 80's n 70's tend to bore me for some reason, even though there very interesting so this is awesome!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 17, 2017 4:03 AM

Jul 2015
A devilman adaptation... By Yuasa... brb, gotta change my underwear.

SuperRed said:

Lol. Clearly shows that you haven't read it. Getter Robo is edgy old-school action schlock (tho it's important for other reasons). Devilman is just fucking sexy and excellent.
Tho I have no doubt that Yuasa will make something different out of it, and still good. I'd like to see his style meet Go Nagai's. Some panels in Devilman are just brutally beautiful.
DeathkoMar 17, 2017 6:36 AM
Mar 17, 2017 1:48 PM

Aug 2009
I seriously wonder why this manga gets so many adaptations but they're all subpar to what
they should be. I'm excited, nonetheless.
Mar 17, 2017 1:51 PM

Aug 2009
DatRandomDude said:
Oooooh myyyyy.
So this is the TV anime project that Yuasa was talking about
Surprised that its a new Devilman anime !
Sad that we'll be waiting a year for it tho :/

If it's on netflix they'll need to put almost all of it up at once so I assume they'll be making it for the next year (if it's a long show) or something.
Mar 18, 2017 2:23 AM

Apr 2015
I have been dreaming about this... New Devilman anime and holy shit there's some serious talent behind this, just wishing this will hold up to the hype.
Mar 20, 2017 12:23 PM

Aug 2010
Well I guess it's about time that devilman finally got a proper adaptation. I really don't like the title, thought...
Jun 16, 2017 1:33 AM

Nov 2007
New key visual
http://moca-news.net/article/20170616/2017061617110a_/01/
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 29, 2017 7:18 PM
Apr 2016
Holy shit, the staff behind this is amazing. Yuasa of course but no one's talking about Ichiro Okouchi? These people know what they are doing, guaranteed one of, if not the best anime of 2018. I was just wondering if Science SARU was going to make a big project. Did a little search and came upon this treasure, how did I miss this?
Oct 3, 2017 4:17 PM

May 2014
Coming after this >>>> Devil Lady - Queen bitch of the universe XD
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Grendizer U' Unveils Supporting Cast, Second Promo for Summer 2024

Hyperion_PS - 53 minutes ago

1 by EcchiGodMamster »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Announces Supporting Cast

Nioxys - Apr 28

9 by PlasticRobot »»
2 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

20 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
6 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

9 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
6 hours ago

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

37 by AkbarSenpai202 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.