Forum Settings
Forums

What was the first anime you rated a 10/nearly a 10?

New
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 14, 2016 10:37 PM

Mar 2014
mb like free or anohana since those were essentially my first two ever
Mar 14, 2016 10:38 PM

Jan 2016
Didn't start using MAL looooooooong after I started watching anime xD But the anime that was a 10 in my mind the furthest back that I can remember was probably Clannad: After Story (The 1st season would be rated lower).

I felt that it taught me a lot, and it made me feel so many feels, damn it! ^_^
Mar 14, 2016 10:52 PM

Oct 2015
I'm pretty sure it was Spirited Away.
Mar 14, 2016 10:55 PM

Sep 2015
karlstein12 said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011) was the first show I rated a 10.

And actually looking back on the decision, I greatly take pride on the fact that I rated it a 10. It's my favorite show of all time and I think that if the show had ended right after the Chimera Ant arc, more 10/10 scores would be scored and it would be rated a little higher, maybe even would've overtaken FMA:B. Though I can greatly relate to people inclining to give HxH a 9 rather than a 10/10, (As Chairman Election Arc gave a really satisfying end to the series, it was still greatly outmatched by the sheer greatness of the CA arc) I still think that the fact I rated it a 10 is the best thing I did looking back at my anime watching history. It's a superb show and a true masterpiece.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
(Although I do think that the Election arc and Heaven's tower are vastly underrated in the fandom.)

Rarity is Best Pony!
Mar 14, 2016 11:21 PM

May 2015
SodiumChloride said:
Utsu Musume Sayuri .

Likewise it's also one of my 10s till this day .

I don't remember .I didn't start using MAL until I had finished over 100 anime .

similar thing here lmao

I had always watched anime but when I first finished Angel Beats and Eva I felt they were 10s (Eva still is ofc)
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 14, 2016 11:28 PM
Jan 2016
High school DxD... for me the story and Fan service is Balance... I love all the perversion of Issei specially when he seen an OPPAI!!! and his pervert thoughts about girls... hehehehehe!!!
Mar 14, 2016 11:38 PM

Apr 2015
I have the same pick as a few others. Hunter X Hunter 2011 was also my first 10. I had watched 1999 edition more than a decade ago. As such, I have been invested in these characters for so long.

When I started watching HxH 2011, it felt really jarring. The first few episodes felt incredibly rushed and a bit of a mess. But as time went on, HxH 2011 gradually got into form. Perhaps it started really rolling in Heaven's Arena and then surged into Yorknew. Though I still liked 1999's Yorknew adaptation more, 2011 also did an incredible job. Greed Island was a lot of fun as well, but then the majestic Chimera Ant arc finally took center stage. I'm still in awe whenever I re-watch that particular arc. The Election and ending felt satisfying as well.
Mar 15, 2016 12:01 AM
Jul 2015
Code Geass and it is the only anime I have seen until now that it deserves it.
Mar 15, 2016 12:22 AM

Jan 2012
One Piece, I'll admit some bias since it was my gateway anime, but I love it so much lol
Mar 15, 2016 12:33 AM

Nov 2014
DBZ, since it's among of the first anime that i've watched and completed..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Mar 15, 2016 1:17 AM

Nov 2013
Yu Yu Hakusho. Awesome series that deserves it!
Mar 15, 2016 1:18 AM

May 2011
OnlyFestive said:
sorcery said:
Not a single one. Only tasteless millennials rating 10 solely on enjoyability or because "they cried" do that.

Saying that a show's worth is based on objectivity makes the point of user reviews utterly worthless. The entire aspect behind these reviews is to show what the individual thoughtsabout the production based on their own feelings. In other words, the responsibility doesn't lie with reviewers tediously nitpicking every detail about the production; the responsibility lies within the person reading the review, to make their own judgement about the anime based on that.

So, what does it matter the opinions that people share about an anime? It's up to you to choose whether or not you watch it, not them. If you want to write your own detailed review about something you dislike, then write one, but don't become a hindrance to other people because your cynicism doesn't give you the opportunity to enjoy a show like someone else might.

For your information, a point of view is worth jackshit if one doesn't know how to appreciate art. It's as simple as that, so I don't even know why in the word you serve me that righteous bullshit. It's not nitpicking than being a demanding spectator. You deem me closed minded on my views but let me tell you, the extent of my culture doesn't stop to Japanese Animation, which I have watched for years. I have also read a lot of literature (and no Harry Potter and light novels don't count!). It's more than enough to give one the intellectual luggage it requires.

You talk exactly like a hedonistic scum who's all about yielding to impetus of the moment. I bet you're sensitive to the industry pandering to you with big boobs, round ass and pretty colors. Reflect well before implying I am cynical because I clearly think it's "Homo Festivus" as you who are. And why, yes opinion of the others matters, what they overhype holds sway on what the entertainment industry decides to come with next. They catter to the majority. If you shill crap like "Erased" you will impose me "Erased" clones produced to reflect your terrible tastes. How hard is that to understand?
sorceryMar 15, 2016 1:35 AM
Mar 15, 2016 2:42 AM

Oct 2013
Steins;gate

It was too good
Was also the third or second anime I've ever watched
Mar 15, 2016 2:51 AM
Jul 2018
inazuma eleven was my first animu, rated it 10 and re watched it 11 times.
along with the sequels (re watched them 5-6 times)
Mar 15, 2016 2:53 AM

Apr 2015
0 = impossibly bad, 10 = perfection, 5 = average. Never given a show a 10 but the haruhi movie got a 9/10, never rated anything as high or higher.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Mar 15, 2016 3:02 AM

Jul 2015
Code Geass R2 #fuckcharacterlimit
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 15, 2016 3:18 AM
Apr 2014
It would have to be Shin Sekai Yori. No anime before or after has done so much right in so many aspects of storytelling and production.
Mar 15, 2016 3:18 AM

Apr 2015
Minkey said:
KatoTheIcyWolf said:
Mine? Sword art online... Yes, I know..

I think the first 14 episodes are 10/10 worthy, but the rest of it wasn't as good in my opinion.

I know, but it was the first anime I watched xD. I changed the score to 7 now ;-;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2016 3:19 AM

Mar 2016
Berserk.
I was taken away.
I didn't know until then that anime could be that surreal.
Mar 15, 2016 3:20 AM

Mar 2015
Naruto and Attack on Titan, and make me watching again and again
Mar 15, 2016 3:21 AM
Aug 2013
Gintama all the way. I knew while I was wondering how to rate the series, it was going to be the top of the top of my list
Mar 15, 2016 3:26 AM

Jun 2015
Dragon Ball Z, I grew up watching DB series thanks to my Dad. The very first anime I watched and that will forever be in my heart. <3
Mar 15, 2016 3:32 AM

May 2013
For me it would have to of been DBZ its what got me interested in anime that and Toonami of course!
Mar 15, 2016 3:34 AM

Apr 2014
It was definitely Chihayafuru. I remember how I was overtaken by it.. Or maybe it was Howl's moving castle.., now I'm confused. =_=
Mar 15, 2016 3:35 AM

Jan 2011
I read that as 10 out of nearly a 10.

OT: Princess Mononoke, and it has held up on subsequent rewatches. Speaking of which I'm about due to give it another.
Mar 15, 2016 3:37 AM

Feb 2013
Steins;Gate, FMA Brotherhood, Clannad and Gurren Lagann to just name a few on the top of my head.
Mar 15, 2016 3:39 AM
Mar 2015
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni. It was the first anime I seriously watched (if I dont count Pokémon, that I watched when I was a kid) and that anime really got me to be a fan of this kind of japanese popculture, so maybe it kind of clouds my judgemenr, but I try to think objectively about it, and still gets its 10/10. From music, to characters, story, atmosphere... I rated both Higurashi series and Rei OVA as one complex, so along with Ergo Proxy, these are the only two series with 10/10.
Mar 15, 2016 3:41 AM
Feb 2013
Clannad After Story was my first 10. It wasn't the first anime that I had seen, but it was the first anime that opened my eyes to the seriousness which anime can undertake!
Steins Gate was the first anime that I gave a 10 to because of how amazing and perfect it was!
Mar 15, 2016 3:42 AM

Mar 2015
Madoka Magica and Shinsekai Yori - both got 10/10 from me.
Mar 15, 2016 3:42 AM
Feb 2014
Death Note. Years later, Toradora became another 10. Code Geass and Clannad just missed the cut.
Mar 15, 2016 3:55 AM

Aug 2015
Pokemon is my first anime i watched in 2000

i give 10 without any reason
GO SAKABE IS A ROUSING SONG
Mar 15, 2016 3:56 AM

Mar 2016
Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood.

It was the first anime I had watched and it has influenced my life a lot. I love all the characters and it will always be one of my favourites
Mar 15, 2016 4:00 AM

Oct 2015
Princess Mononoke. Old film, which I watched many years ago. I was quite amazed by it.
Mar 15, 2016 4:02 AM

Aug 2013
I gave the first anime i watched, Ouran High School Host Club, a 10. c:
Mar 15, 2016 4:03 AM

Dec 2007
Mine would be Evangelion. It's the first anime i saw that was made with some artistry and not just... well, for kids. It's hard to say now how much of your appreciation for something is because of nostalgia, but i've changed some scores around during my years on mal. Not this one.

sorcery said:
Not a single one. Only tasteless millennials rating 10 solely on enjoyability or because "they cried" do that.

You're a fun person :)

I kind of agree with you that most people have very simple tastes and maybe aren't as critical as they should be, but i wouldn't be as much of an asshole about it because i don't get anything out of that. Maybe you do, idunno.

I do think it's important to try and understand why you like something (if you want to be a snob) and admit that things you like can still be flawed, but in the end film is meant to invoke emotion. The biggest point of art (imo) is to be enjoyable in one way or another. Only that can be the biggest deciding factor for how you view a piece, and subsequently how you rate it.

And if 10/10 can only mean absolute perfection in every way, then that rating will forever be reduntant because in the end all art is created by humans, and humans aren't flawless. I find the rating system much more pragmatic if the top score simply means the highest level a piece of art realistically can obtain. Which will of course still always be based on subjective impression.
Mar 15, 2016 4:08 AM

Nov 2015
Clannad: After Story, or it was Fate/Zero.
Mar 15, 2016 4:24 AM
Feb 2015
Steins;gate
One of the first anime series I watched - fun fact, I picked it up several times only to drop it at the 2nd episode; one night I was so bored I just watched the whole thing in one sitting
power2shredMar 15, 2016 5:36 AM
Mar 15, 2016 4:26 AM

Oct 2015
KatoTheIcyWolf said:
Minkey said:

I think the first 14 episodes are 10/10 worthy, but the rest of it wasn't as good in my opinion.

I know, but it was the first anime I watched xD. I changed the score to 7 now ;-;

I rated it an 8, I just loved the first part of SAO so much :P Really wish they would've done 1 episode per floor or something like that
Anime List Manga List
Mar 15, 2016 4:39 AM

Aug 2015
sorcery said:
I can find flaws even in the best Ghibli and to get a 10, a workpiece got not only to be technically flawless but also have that timelessness which could make anyone relate. The title must be enough as a standalone. It mustn't pander to anyone's fantasy, be coherent with its thematics, have coherent world building, not have yet another nice premise thrown out, not hide its lazy writing with pseudo sense of mystery (plot holes which hinder full comprehension is never a mark of quality; subtlety in narration is), have flawless characterization (archetypes aren't a problem but one dimensional protagonists are) and get quality plot staging (fine production value: artwork, art direction for sceneries, artful angle of views), and benefit from fine chara design and sound of course.

It mustn't resort in excess to the following cop out Joker:
- the magic/paranormal element
- the alien scientific plot point (introducing technobabble and infodump)
- pseudo depth (never confuse for the sake of posing as a meaningful masterpiece! Rahxephon, anyone?)
- blurry symbolism (I am looking at you Evangelion)
- Surrealism

These last point don't exclude shows to be good. They just cannot be objectively perfect if they hack their way cheaply.

autism/10

Try again, cuck.

If you can't, you're a millennial.
Mar 15, 2016 4:45 AM

Oct 2012
sorcery, you almost made me believe in your taste, but then I saw your "objective" scores, f.e. Mirai Nikki 8, Cyber City Oedo 808 - 9. Dude, if you're MAL is exactly what you've seen, then there is a long way for you, and dozens of series which exceed way better in same topic as mentioned Cyber City Oedo or Mirai Nikki. Armitage III for example. Being serious anime fan with 83 completed anime must be hard. Of course, if we're thinking about objective scores (which I personally believe to be nothing more then pretentious bullshit).

On to the topic. My 10 score is somehow very personal. Those are the series which had biggest impact on me, as an anime fan. I treat anime as a form of entertainment, mostly. So my scores are pretty much level of enjoyment I had watching series. By enjoyment I think - story, characters and their development, art, music, scenography, direction, music, and many other. All those factors have impact on me, as a viewer, some more the others. Sometimes I don't even care is the animation is top notch (as long as if it isn't crappy) if the story is covering this up. So for example plain, yet absolutely soothing, and healing Non Non Biyori got 9 out of 10, since I was sucked by every aspect of this series.

So, for the 10 out of 10.

I think my first one was "Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho" which I saw in 2008. By that time this was like a shock for me, such fantastic movie, with great story, amazing characters, ASTONISHING ART and MUSIC. Now I know it does have flaws, like "music-video-like" parts of story or poor animation. Yet, 10 still hangs on to this title because of sentimental reasons. I still go back to this movie from time to time.

Fisrt well deserved and never to be changed 10 was Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World. It doesn't struck with amazing visual aspect, but characters, stories, the whole... idea behind the series was then and still is something directly appealing to me.

The we have two cyberpunk series - Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy. When the first one is pretty much like Kino no Tabi, then the second one comes also with fantastic music, art, animation, a shitload of references, and my waifu :D

So, the last series I gave 10 out of 10 was Mushishi and all other series connected to this one. I think I have a weak spot for "travelling" anime, since the story from Mushishi is somehow similar to Kino no Tabi. Here we have also amazing backgrounds, beautiful, sad, cheerful stories, one of the best protagonist in every single anime I had seen, great music, a true art masterpiece.

So, my point is that 10/10 won't be perfect in every aspect (which is actually impossible). That's why we have those rates systems, to evaluate not only the "objective" things like "oh, his facae have a derp in every fucking background" but also a subjective way -that's the definition of scoring I think. To evaluate what we thought, felt about some piece of art, how did we responded to it. As a musical journalist, this was and stwill will be my way of thinking about rating something.
Mar 15, 2016 4:47 AM
Mar 2014
For me it was definitely Shinsekai Yori, because it was the first anime tat got me thinking that life is miserable. After then it was almost everything frome Key.
Mar 15, 2016 4:51 AM
Feb 2016
Code Geass , sure! :)
I memory its first anime I continuous watch until ss1 & ss2 in 2 day , lol
Mar 15, 2016 4:53 AM

May 2011
Volbla said:
Mine would be Evangelion. It's the first anime i saw that was made with some artistry and not just... well, for kids. It's hard to say now how much of your appreciation for something is because of nostalgia, but i've changed some scores around during my years on mal. Not this one.

sorcery said:

I kind of agree with you that most people have very simple tastes and maybe aren't as critical as they should be, but i wouldn't be as much of an asshole about it because i don't get anything out of that. Maybe you do, idunno.

I do think it's important to try and understand why you like something (if you want to be a snob) and admit that things you like can still be flawed, but in the end film is meant to invoke emotion. The biggest point of art (imo) is to be enjoyable in one way or another. Only that can be the biggest deciding factor for how you view a piece, and subsequently how you rate it.

And if 10/10 can only mean absolute perfection in every way, then that rating will forever be reduntant because in the end all art is created by humans, and humans aren't flawless. I find the rating system much more pragmatic if the top score simply means the highest level a piece of art realistically can obtain. Which will of course still always be based on subjective impression.

Hey.
Very simple taste? You mean simpleton right? =)
I wonder what's with that will to label anyone demanding a snob? I consider myself a humanist in the noble sense of term. A human being must strive to become as knowledgeable as he can. It's a moral duty in humanism. When you think about it, "Otaku" is a very reductive appellation, in the sense it reduces one as being a consumer of Japanese culture. I do think if bar is set low for kids, it won't likely be any high later on. Even as a teen, I had been self demanding intellectually. Same goes for marketted kiddie stuff. Do you like being defined by a demographic? I don't. I am personally convinced fine entertainment should reach for both kids and grown ups.

Also, I disagree. People don't go for art necessarily because it's enjoyable. It has to embed a meaningful message, otherwise it's just a firework of colors. A firework is nice to watch, but I don't think you'd sit hours looking at it. I took offense as Homo Festivus called me a cynical. That literally means I have no morals. I more like think it's anime writers who don't give a shit because fans watch anyway, who are cynical. If you look closely at my review of Mudai, you'll know that I am an esthete by heart. I know about the dilemma of subjectivity.

If I sound bitter, it's because I have had my share of anime community stupidity. I keep going justly to discuss with guys like you who don't sound like complete drones.
Mar 15, 2016 4:54 AM
Oct 2015
It has to be death note. One of my first anime and one hell of a beast one.
Mar 15, 2016 4:58 AM
Feb 2013
While Clannad was the first anime i actually complete, I would still say that Code Geass is my number one anime and one of the few I would actually give 10/10.
Shattered Angel

Mar 2015
My first 10 would be Clannad: After Story... which was the very second one I watched after Clannad

Aug 2015
sorcery said:
Volbla said:

Hey.
Very simple taste? You mean simpleton right? =)
I wonder what's with that will to label anyone demanding a snob? I consider myself a humanist in the noble sense of term. A human being must strive to become as knowledgeable as he can. It's a moral duty in humanism. When you think about it, "Otaku" is a very reductive appellation, in the sense it reduces one as being a consumer of Japanese culture. I do think if bar is set low for kids, it won't likely be any high later on. Even as a teen, I had been self demanding intellectually. Same goes for marketted kiddie stuff. Do you like being defined by a demographic? I don't. I am personally convinced fine entertainment should reach for both kids and grown ups.

Also, I disagree. People don't go for art necessarily because it's enjoyable. It has to embed a meaningful message, otherwise it's just a firework of colors. A firework is nice to watch, but I don't think you'd sit hours looking at it. I took offense as Homo Festivus called me a cynical. That literally means I have no morals. I more like think it's anime writers who don't give a shit because fans watch anyway, who are cynical. If you look closely at my review of Mudai, you'll know that I am an esthete by heart. I know about the dilemma of subjectivity.

If I sound bitter, it's because I have had my share of anime community stupidity. I keep going justly to discuss with guys like you who don't sound like complete drones.

Only a moron takes ''offense''.
Seems like you're not much of an intellectual as you think.
Jul 2018
Clannad: After Story – damn, all these feels.

インディゴデイズ
removed-userMay 12, 2017 2:02 AM
Mar 15, 2016 4:59 AM

Jan 2015
Attack on Titan. It was also the first and only anime I rewatched.
Mar 15, 2016 5:07 AM

May 2011
@skjoldr-san

Read my previous post before talking out of your ass, n00bster.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

53 by Lucifrost »»
35 seconds ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

16 by FanofAction »»
10 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

36 by LostSpectre »»
12 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

60 by LostSpectre »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

71 by 23feanor »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.