Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 28, 2014 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh nice, Alfonso gets more of a spotlight this episode. Nice to know that he is a Makai Knight.

Leon is blowing off some steam along with Alfonso. Seems like the two ran into a bit of a misunderstanding though. Still, I think the two makes a formidable team. Action was great this episode with Alfonoso doing the damage and taking his vengeance.

Stark700Nov 28, 2014 10:23 AM
Nov 28, 2014 10:25 AM

Jul 2010
Leon and Alfonso meeting like this. Alfonso being helpless in market interactions!

Raphael coughing blood with his time being limited. That horror looked cool as if it was like a boss having different phases. Alfonso growing up after the death of his master. It was cool how he wield the armour just like that and killed the horror.
Nov 28, 2014 12:08 PM

Sep 2013
Wow, what an episode.

Art/Animation: OH MY GAWD THIS EPISODE WAS GORGEOUS. The horror was the best designed one yet! SO FREAKING METAL!! The fight choreography was the best yet as well! It was fluid, exciting, thrilling. Woo! The energy blasts that Leon and Rafael dodged were very pretty as well.

Music: Not so atmospheric but WOW was it ever exciting. The dialogue was a bit corny yet fitting and the performances were mature. Very well done.

Story+Characters:
Definitely a character focused episode with lots of action. I'll start with the negatives to get them out of the way.

I wish we could have had more time to get to know Rafael and see the relationship he built with Alfonso. It would have made his death hold more impact and become more cathartic. I also would have liked to see more of Alfonso's training but what we got was fine overall.

I thought the instant chemistry between Leon and Alfonso was outstandingly done. I didn't think their characters would mix very well what with it being the naive prince mixed with the cool headed knight but I was totally invested. Well done. At first I thought Alfonso figured out Leon's ties with the Makai Knights a bit too quickly but I suppose it was not all that far fetched considering the amount of witches/warlocks and the fact that they both happened to be going towards the same area.

Also, Garm meets Leon for the first time. I kind of like her now, what with planning to have Leon and Alfonso meet. I can't wait to learn more about her.

Overall, I thought this episode was a lot of fun and added some much needed progression to the story. Not so heavy on exploring themes but all episodes don't have to do that. Can't wait for next week.
Nov 28, 2014 12:24 PM

Jan 2013
Finally they are together.
It was really a good episode, the fight, the drama, the characters.
Nov 28, 2014 12:30 PM

Jul 2014
lol the fight just screams Touhou.

Anyway very good episode, the animation was really great, the fights, everything about this episode was amazing.
Nov 28, 2014 12:36 PM

Jul 2010
I wonder if Leon will find out that Alfonso is his cousin?
yeo
Nov 28, 2014 12:49 PM

Dec 2011
Nice episode overall.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Nov 28, 2014 1:01 PM

Aug 2010
That was really awesome!!

Lol'd at Leon facepalming to Alphonso's naive personality at the start XD

The action was pretty amazing. Animation was better than usual in some parts imo :3
Nice teamwork there. Leon got REKT though so he still needs a long way. I'm sure Alphonso only won because Raphael weakened it.

Anyway, nice awakening. Nice to see from PV that Alphonso will be staying with Leon and meet Herman. Should be fun.
Nov 28, 2014 1:22 PM
Jan 2014
This is definitely my favourite episode of the anime thus far.

It's a bit of a shame we didn't get to see some of Alfonso's earlier training sessions. They could've utilized some time to at least flesh out Rafael a little bit more. The only thing we got was a small glipse of his tragic past. It's not that I'm trying to complain or anything, because this episode did manage to fit a lot and retain that magical dose of balance.

Alfonso finally managed to shine, despite having to bear the loss of his former mentor. Gaia really suits him, as the Knight of Defense. He fits that description rather well. Looking forward to his chemistry with Leon and possibly even Herman, now that they're working together.
Nov 28, 2014 1:28 PM

Jun 2014
Best episode of Garo
Nov 28, 2014 1:35 PM

Apr 2014
Yay! They finally meet! I like how Leon is showing Alfonso how to deal with the outside world :D

It's too bad that Rafael died like that, but it was inevitable. :/

Alfonso turning beast mode is so cool. For some reason, I think he is stronger than Leon...maybe.

In the next episode, Alfonso will finally meet Leon's perverted old man and things will go a little hectic XD
Nov 28, 2014 3:05 PM
Nov 2013
Woah, what a great fucking episode! Best episode so far. The animation was PERFECT, especially the fight choreography with the horror. Music was also really great, reminded of something Kajiura Yuki would compose.

Alfonso and Leon would make a great team. Glad they got along the moment the met eachother. It sucks Rafael had to die, but at least Alfonso gained his Gaia armor and became a Makai Knight. Hopefully the fuck shit up and get rid of Mendoza.
Nov 28, 2014 3:08 PM

Jul 2012
The episode ive been waiting for!
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Nov 28, 2014 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
Alright so this was the first Garo episode that really grabbed me. Loved the soundtrack for the fight scene(s)
Nov 28, 2014 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
Best episode.

Rafael died and Alfonso wielded his knight armor and able to become a Makai Knight.
Nov 28, 2014 4:01 PM

Jul 2014
Wow my favorite episode so far this season, awesome to see the gaia-armor get a successor. And of course the lost relatives get together, bounded by faith. And i almost lost it at the end of the episode, not only did Alfonso lose his Master, but Leo finally learned what it means to be a Makai Knight and what he needs in order to become complete. Really weird how zaruba has failed to to tell him what he needs, oh well.

And for you who wonder, the sole reason a Makai Knight becomes strong is when he has something he wants to protect, which is referred to man kind. As Leo is bound by strong hatred and seeks revenge he loses the insight of the main goal the makai knight has, and which explains why he tended to go out of control before he got zaruba!
Nov 28, 2014 4:35 PM

Nov 2014
Loved this episode. It was in my opinion the best in the series so far. Art and animation were really well done even the CG seemed pretty good. The only thing i can think of that would have made this episode better is more of herman (best character in the series). I loved the interactions between leon and alfonso. This anime is a perfect example of a show full of cliches done right. 5/5.
Nov 28, 2014 4:42 PM

Dec 2013
That was most definitely the episode I was waiting for.
Alfonso and Leon were bound to meet each other, but we didn't know if they would get along or pursue the same goal separately. We will know more about it next week, judging by the preview.
Alfonso looked great with the Gaia armour, but Rafael will be missed. And what a soundtrack ! The battle was fierce, and it had good balance.
I expect many great things to come.
"If anyone wishes to stop me, let them try. If there any whose dispair can match my own!" - Lelouch Lamperouge.
Nov 28, 2014 5:09 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Haha liking Alfonso and Leon's interactions. I'm glad they're getting along. I agree that they could've spent a little more time showing up the relationship between Raphael and Alfonso so that Raphael's death would've had more impact, but it was still a sad scene. The battle was awesome though, really liked the horror's design, and the bgm made the fight seem just that much more intense. Hopefully we can see more of Alfonso and Leon working together, especially now that Alfonso has gotten the Gaia armor.
Nov 28, 2014 5:54 PM

Nov 2012
I just wanna see what will happen when Alfonso meets Herman.......
Nov 28, 2014 6:12 PM

Nov 2014
jose21 said:

Yes me too i wanna see herman try convincing alfonso to go get laid

Also does anybody know how many episodes are in this anime in total? (I think its 13 but not sure)
Nov 28, 2014 7:57 PM
Jun 2014
Beautiful. This is what we've all been waiting for.
I love this ep. Humor from the start and great action at the end.
I was hardly able to contain the level of excitement I had throughout the whole ep.
So glad that we finally get to see Leon and Alfonso working together.
I can't wait to see more of this! ~
Nov 28, 2014 9:02 PM

Jun 2014
Looked like Alfonso was fighting with a straight razor, the puny sword.
I like how Alfonso met Leon. The battle was okay i guess.
Nov 28, 2014 9:21 PM
Jul 2014
I thought that Leon and Alfonso wouldn't get along well considering their differing personalities, so their natural chemistry caught me off guard. The humor was great.
The horror was the best one I saw so far. Really creepy though. RIP Rafael, although I wish they covered more of his past / training with Alfonso.
Nov 28, 2014 10:55 PM

Jul 2011
Alfonso and Leon are such a great team. I love their interactions. Alfonso is so naive and it's sweet how Leon helps him out. XD

And the battle was awesome!! The horror design was great, loved the hanging dead people on the bottom. Animation was gorgeous, and choreography was splendid. Especially in the beginning when Leon took out the two skeletons and Alfonso was avoiding the beams. ^^
MirorinNov 28, 2014 11:02 PM
Nov 29, 2014 2:38 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Castlevania boss battle.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 29, 2014 2:55 AM

Mar 2012
Anime Rule: If a newly introduced warrior/fighter has a chronic disease, he is going to die very soon in a heroic way.
Nov 29, 2014 3:20 AM
May 2007
I say Gaia was mostly dying of old age and was fragile compared to being diseased. He was best friends with their Grandfather so he is probably old enough to be their grandfather. I think Herman knows about Alfonso.
Nov 29, 2014 4:39 AM

Dec 2012
Wow, Leon and Alfonso met sooner than I expected! I felt for Leon - his father is an extrovert disaster in the cities, his cousin is a total social noob around common people. I mean, who'd hold his spoon as Alfonso in the inn and not asking for being mugged -_-;

So, some of the Horrors have names. Probably should read more about them, but I'll leave it to the anime. I'm already fond of the type that looks like a runaway cupboard in distress, perhaps more will come in later. (They will. The chick in the white dress has been properly slacking off).

Well, both Leon and Alfonso will need more Makai training. The question is what training German will offer them :D

I feel bad for Rafael, pretty sad story about his son's demise. Despite the promising rising of the two lads, it felt the battle against the Horrors is indeed understaffed w/o Rafael.

Intriguing episode, can't wait for the next!
Nov 29, 2014 9:59 AM

Aug 2014
Now Alfonso is a Makai Knight! Rafael will be so proud of him....
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Nov 29, 2014 12:36 PM
May 2013
Finally they meet each others. Also that Alfonso got more screentime and later became a knight.
Pandora hearts broke my heart
Nov 29, 2014 1:10 PM
May 2007
Too bad Rafael didn't get the chance to 100% reveal his true origins since he already saw Garo before him.
Nov 29, 2014 3:49 PM
Jan 2011
great episode. rip Raphael Banderas

i liked the interactions between alfonso and leon
Nov 29, 2014 4:25 PM

May 2013
Leon and Alfonso finally met each other. They met in a pretty simple way considering that they're both strangers to each other at first.
His mentor dead, but he did acquire his armor so it's a win and a lose. Maybe he'll join Leon and Herman after that.
Nov 29, 2014 4:36 PM

Jul 2014
CreamZi said:
Leon and Alfonso finally met each other. They met in a pretty simple way considering that they're both strangers to each other at first.
His mentor dead, but he did acquire his armor so it's a win and a lose. Maybe he'll join Leon and Herman after that.

Most likely they will join up together, but I think German will refrain from telling leo and alfo that they are relatives if he knows. Also i might see that they will split up because of difference in goals, Leo wants revenge, Alf wants to save his kingdom.
Nov 29, 2014 4:42 PM

Jul 2014
zellami said:

Well, both Leon and Alfonso will need more Makai training. The question is what training German will offer them :D

I will assume German not teaching them anything, as he told let Leon go and try gather strength on his own, the most likely scenario I believe that Leon finally understood what his grandfather told him in the other realm when zaruba was hibernating Garo. Most likely as i mentioned earlier; that a knight cannot grow without understanding a knights duty and his mission as Garo, I believe Leo finally learned his lesson and will find this to become a new source of power. I also believe Zaruba will have major role to play from now on :3
Nov 30, 2014 12:37 AM

Nov 2009
I thought Makai armors get passed down only by blood relation...?

It's nice to see Alphonso don some armor at last, but I hoped we would have 2 golden knights, since technically, he's in the same degree of relation to the previous Golden knight as Leon, so the armor in his blood should be Golden...
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Nov 30, 2014 3:53 AM

Sep 2014
Good episode and surprising to see the prince finally become a Makai knight
Nov 30, 2014 5:52 AM

Dec 2013
Best episode of the series so far, tha animation was top notch, Alfonso growing up in character, great music, and the horror was so badass.
Nov 30, 2014 6:26 AM

Sep 2011
Oh man this was the awesomeness i was waiting for in the series, this episode was simply epic, alfanso's story is definitely the most interesting in the cast and now that hes finally joining the main cast as a makai knight this can only mean the show is going to be giving us more awesomeness soon.

omeg4 said:
jose21 said:

Yes me too i wanna see herman try convincing alfonso to go get laid

Also does anybody know how many episodes are in this anime in total? (I think its 13 but not sure)

suppossedly the 2nd opening was already announced for january so it pretty much confirms a 2 cour, that in addition of the 2nd season being announced, this may be a long show.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 30, 2014 3:01 PM

Jun 2014
oh MANI love the animations of Leon's armor, you really get the feeling that the armor truly is alive.
The change in color style was FANTASTIC.
This was an amazing episode.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Nov 30, 2014 9:28 PM

Jul 2013
it was nice seeing them working together. glad they didnt fight
Dec 1, 2014 4:25 AM

Sep 2014
It is nice that we get to see more of Alfonzo...

Soo when Raphael gets stabbed multiple times, his armor disappears, but his sword doesn't, and he is able to pass the sword and then the armor of Gaia on to Alphonso. Upon Alphonso donning the armor, he is suddenly able to surround himself in flames as he flies at great speed through and destroys the top center part of the horror, stabbing a face that was apparently there but never explcitly shown. The enormous horror then dies promptly because of that one small (compared to its size) hole.
Yeah so that happened - even though it's Alphonso's first time donning the armor he is able to use it with such convincing skill.

2/5 so bullshit/such asspull
Darstorm-SandudeDec 1, 2014 5:45 AM
I don't consider myself a good judge.

trying not to be an obnoxious otaku
Dec 1, 2014 4:32 AM

Nov 2012
Great episode. Loved the fact that Alfonso and Leon finally met even if the meeting was a bit cliche. That doesn't matter though because execution is what matters and not originality. And while I'm not watching Garo for the action (because the individual stories are actually damn good), it wouldn't have hurt for the fight between the chimera and our two cousins to have been a bit longer.

Little criticisms aside though, I think Garo is only getting better. Hope it keeps this up!
Dec 1, 2014 5:45 AM

Sep 2014
oya Raphael died, didn't feel much, probably because he didn't appear much in this anime
I don't consider myself a good judge.

trying not to be an obnoxious otaku
Dec 1, 2014 5:50 AM

Nov 2014
Darstorm-Sandude said:
oya Raphael died, didn't feel much, probably because he didn't appear much in this anime

Same i was actually kind of annoyed that they just out of nowhere made him cough out blood to show that he was dying i don't think that they showed this in any of the earlier episodes but whatever I still enjoyed this episode even though it was filled with cliches.
Dec 2, 2014 11:14 AM

Nov 2013
STUNNING animation..Downright amazing effects...top-notch soundtrack..and a full-packed action episode!! This is my fave type of episode! It was so gorgeous!

Alfonso finally became a Makai Knight...I hope the 2 of them(Leon and Alfonso) will get along from here on,or embark on the same journey.
I want to see both of them fight once more~ :))
This is where I`d put my signature...If i had one.
Dec 3, 2014 5:54 PM

Aug 2013
Finally the two protagonists come together, although Leon has not done much, Alphonso became a knight and now begins her fight
I'm curious to see how will these last episodes now that will have a second season ..
Dec 12, 2014 5:20 AM

Nov 2011
Anime that while reaping little compared to what we sow, remains for the plot and characters, a great product.
Narrative that keeps the pressure, I have not even time anoiata in following the incident
Although as they told other users, in this episode, there are some flaws, oh well!
Drawings and animations very good, the flaws in the CG seen in the first few episodes, now seem a distant memory.
Soundtrack that has not received much attention from me, I was too involved from the narrative.
Dec 12, 2014 5:34 AM

Jun 2014
Would've liked to learn a bit more about Raphael before he died though all in all that was a good episode. Nice to see Leon and Alfonso finally meet. The fight with the horror was cool and great to see Alfonso finally become a Makai Knight.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

65 by macabongx »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:02 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2015

204 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 4, 2022 3:50 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2014

169 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 3, 2022 3:40 PM

» 2nd half is a lot better than first

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 16, 2021

2 by Scythe97 »»
Sep 30, 2022 3:52 AM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

89 by Creepyarea »»
Sep 17, 2022 1:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.